PDA

View Full Version : Caroline Wilson - Woof Verdict

Ghost Dog
11-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Caroline Wilson

She does seem to get it wrong from time to time ( recent Bombers player revolt meeting, her 'sourced' comments on Collingwood V St Kilda spat which were claimed to be fabricated, Her article on James Brayshaw a few weeks ago with disputed facts )

Anyone else have an issue with her writing?

What is the woof verdict on Caroline Wilson.

bornadog
11-08-2010, 11:41 AM
I don't think she makes it up, where there is smoke there is fire. Having said that, I don't enjoy the tone of her articles and rarely read them these days.

Jasper
11-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Caro's job is to sell papers with sensational headlines.
Clearly there are people in the football world that are now using her to run their personal campaigns. The Bombers saga is a clear example of that.
Obviously she gets sucked in by the "scandalous" aspect of these stories and runs with them.

Hutchy clearly decided to embarass her on Monday night and did a fairly good job with the Brayshaw stuff.

It would be good if she could write a positive article for a change.
She'd be a great writer for a reality show, always sell the drama

Greystache
11-08-2010, 11:55 AM
I read the footy section of the paper to read about football not back office politics. Her knowledge of the game itself appears limited at best and hence she prefers to focus on the off field gossip. For me she's football's equivalent of a womans day journalist and I have no interest in reading it.

ledge
11-08-2010, 11:59 AM
I read the footy section of the paper to read about football not back office politics. Her knowledge of the game itself appears limited at best and hence she prefers to focus on the off field gossip. For me she's football's equivalent of a womans day journalist and I have no interest in reading it.

You hit the nail on the head there.

mighty_west
11-08-2010, 12:10 PM
She is a shock jock journo, always has been, in a similar way to Steve Price on radio, she should be writing for the Truth newspaper.

She tends to generalize alot, and add a little salt & pepper to spice things up somewhat.

When Caro is quizzed, she bangs on about saying that "the majority of fans would think this way"..who? a few workmates in the Age office?

A parasite.

Ozza
11-08-2010, 12:15 PM

This is not to say or like or dislike Caroline Wilson - but the politics of football is exactly what she is employed to do.

She is not a football expert, doesn't claim to be a football expert and doesn't do match reports or analysis.
Her job is to report on the Politics of football, the club structures, the AFL administration and various stakeholders in the game.
If you're not interested in that side of the game - thats fine - it can definitely be a bit tedious at times - but Football is in many ways a very large business - and some people are interested in Football - the Industry - and Clubs as the Companies/Businesses.

mighty_west
11-08-2010, 12:21 PM

I don't mind so much journo's focusing on the off field, there are many journo's these days on tv, breaking stories etc etc, what i don't like is bullshit, stretching truths, generalising etc, Caro is good at doing that.

Remi Moses
11-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Agree I think some Caro stories are vindictive and she does waffle on like a No Idea journo.
I think she's right on Brayshaw though,he did stand up and say that North will play all home games in Melbourne.I recall 10 News going with the speech .Hutchison and Lyon were sticking up for their mate!

Murphy'sLore
11-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Well I must say, as a football lay-person and newbie, I am fascinated by the off-field politics, intrigues, vendettas etc and I'm interested in the material that Caro writes about. I accept that she gets it wrong sometimes but what journalist doesn't? I suspect Caro is judged by a harsher standard than others a) because her field is of its nature more speculative and rumour-based than straight match analysis, and b) because she's a chick and therefore by definition she's not qualified to make observations about football.

What sickens me is watching Hutchy and the other boofheads on FC attack her week after week as if their masculinity is at stake by merely allowing a woman in the room. It's embarrassing.

Greystache
11-08-2010, 02:56 PM
This is not to say or like or dislike Caroline Wilson - but the politics of football is exactly what she is employed to do.

She is not a football expert, doesn't claim to be a football expert and doesn't do match reports or analysis.
Her job is to report on the Politics of football, the club structures, the AFL administration and various stakeholders in the game.
If you're not interested in that side of the game - thats fine - it can definitely be a bit tedious at times - but Football is in many ways a very large business - and some people are interested in Football - the Industry - and Clubs as the Companies/Businesses.

That's fair enough, Womans Day journalists are paid to report on Bec Hewitt's latest emotional setback, that doesn't mean they do it well, or that they even have the facts at hand that they claim they do. Yet people still read it, so they keep writing it.

Greystache
11-08-2010, 03:14 PM
b) because she's a chick and therefore by definition she's not qualified to make observations about football.

What sickens me is watching Hutchy and the other boofheads on FC attack her week after week as if their masculinity is at stake by merely allowing a woman in the room. It's embarrassing.

I think this is the biggest misnomer in football. Caroline Wilson is more than happy to attack the credibility of people in the football world day in day out from the security of hiding behind her article, yet when people confront her about glaring errors she first- attacks their position as wrong, second- denies black and blue that she's wrong even when the facts are presented for all to see, third- changes her original position to seem as though she was talking about a broader issue rather than specifically about the person she's actually critizised, then finally if all else has failed- plays the "don't criticize me just because I'm a woman" card.

If she would just admit she is wrong when she clearly is no one would be continually attacking her. She is just your typical modern day journalistic bully, happy to dish it out when she has an advantage (being a newspaper article in which people can't directly defend themselves), but when people confront her about it she instantly claims to be the victim.

Murphy'sLore
11-08-2010, 04:05 PM
then finally if all else has failed- plays the "don't criticize me just because I'm a woman" card.

Fair enough.

Has she actually played the "don't criticize me because I'm a woman" card? I'm happy to be contradicted but I can't recall an instance when she's actually done this (though as you can see I'm more than ready to do it on her behalf! ;))

Greystache
11-08-2010, 04:11 PM
Yeah she has, usually when she's blatanty wrong and hasn't been able to get them to move on to the next segment, or when they've questioned her place to make particularly personal comments about a senior football identity. She doesn't do it all that much.

Murphy'sLore
11-08-2010, 04:27 PM
I must say I'm disappointed to hear that. It does weaken her position to play that card. Though having said that, it is a boys' club and I admire her for even getting in there (notwithstanding her flaws).

Ghost Dog
11-08-2010, 05:24 PM
Firstly, we all would agree that it is positive that women have a place as commentators.
that's no issue.

There are lots of backstories to be told and this is where her focus is. Does she do her job well? If it's to sell papers, sure. One interesting note however, she rarely writes about anyone from the Western Bulldogs, except for Aker. I think this is a good thing!

Regards footy classifieds, quite astonishing the way C. Hutchinson went after her. It was quite personal and seemed to go on for ages. Not a good look for the show as a whole, even if she was wrong. ( It did seem like she was )

chef
11-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Firstly, we all would agree that it is positive that women have a place as commentators.
that's no issue.

There are lots of backstories to be told and this is where her focus is. Does she do her job well? If it's to sell papers, sure. One interesting note however, she rarely writes about anyone from the Western Bulldogs, except for Aker. I think this is a good thing!

Regards footy classifieds, quite astonishing the way C. Hutchinson went after her. It was quite personal and seemed to go on for ages. Not a good look for the show as a whole, even if she was wrong. ( It did seem like she was )

Brayshaws one of Huchy's mates so it's expected he would go after her.

Flamethrower
11-08-2010, 06:57 PM
Caro was right about North. When they decided not to persue the Gold Coast gig, the Kangaroos promised their members that they would be 100% exclusive Melbourne based club - no more home games outside Victoria. next thing you know they are negotiating with the Tassie government to play 4 home games in Hobart.

Caro's articles explore the private lives of players too much at times for my liking, but overall I like the way she challenges clubs and people within clubs to get the "inside" story.

azabob
11-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Yeah she has, usually when she's blatanty wrong and hasn't been able to get them to move on to the next segment, or when they've questioned her place to make particularly personal comments about a senior football identity. She doesn't do it all that much.

I find it hard to believe Caro has played the "i'm a women card", you don't seem to convinced either with the tone of your post.

Whereas your previous posts on Caro were strongly argued.

Greystache
11-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Caro was right about North. When they decided not to persue the Gold Coast gig, the Kangaroos promised their members that they would be 100% exclusive Melbourne based club - no more home games outside Victoria. next thing you know they are negotiating with the Tassie government to play 4 home games in Hobart.

Caro's articles explore the private lives of players too much at times for my liking, but overall I like the way she challenges clubs and people within clubs to get the "inside" story.

They showed video footage of James Brayshaw's presidency acceptance speech on FC where he clearly stated if Norf was presented with an opportunity like Hawthorn was in Tasmania they would take it and embrace it. Once shown this Caroline's position shifted significantly from the one she took in her article.

Greystache
11-08-2010, 07:33 PM
I find it hard to believe Caro has played the "i'm a women card", you don't seem to convinced either with the tone of your post.

Whereas your previous posts on Caro were strongly argued.

I suggest you watch the show if you need proof. I have witnessed it first hand numerous times.

I think Caroline Wilson is a pathetic, hypocritical, weak bully, who takes shots at people from behind her newspaper articles and doesn't have the strength of character to allow people to challenge her statements. She is a disgrace in what has become a disgraceful industry.

I just don't feel the need to force my opinion down the throat of someone who didn't necessarily agree with me.

Topdog
11-08-2010, 09:32 PM
I suggest you watch the show if you need proof. I have witnessed it first hand numerous times.

I don't know if she is still doing it but she did it every 3rd week when Grant Thomas was there.

AndrewP6
11-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Not a fan of her at all, she speaks with great "authority", and goes on about her reliable sources, but doesn't often seem to be able to back her words up... She'll say something like "Believe me, Craig, I know this happened" but apart from her word, has little else. Comes across as very pompous to me...

soupman
11-08-2010, 11:11 PM
I'm not a fan. I feel she tends to act as if her word is gospel, and in order to get her "scoops" she pretty much beats up every whiff of a story she gets, which means she can make a massive conspiracy story out of a coincidence.

Desipura
12-08-2010, 08:26 AM
I just don't feel the need to force my opinion down the throat of someone who didn't necessarily agree with me.
I must remember that for next time. ;)

Nuggety Back Pocket
12-08-2010, 04:02 PM

Caroline is able to provide a different perspective to the other so called male experts on television and radio. Comes from a strong football pedigree being the daughter of ex-Richmond President who along with Graeme Richmond was part of a very successful Tigers era, in the '60's and '70's. Caro and Sam Lane are really the two best women standouts as footy journalists.

Greystache
12-08-2010, 04:18 PM
Caroline is able to provide a different perspective to the other so called male experts on television and radio. Comes from a strong football pedigree being the daughter of ex-Richmond President who along with Graeme Richmond was part of a very successful Tigers era, in the '60's and '70's. Caro and Sam Lane are really the two best women standouts as footy journalists.

Is that some sort of wind up? Sam Lane who after years of meticulous media training still can't string two words together, Sam Lane who only got a job at channel 10 as part of her dad's package to move stations, Sam Lane who's lack of understanding of the sport in general leads to her asking such bizarre questions that her interview subjects can't follow her and simply make up an answer to keep the interview going?

Emma Quayle is an outstanding female journalist, knows her stuff inside out and got her job on merit rather as a favour to her father.

LostDoggy
12-08-2010, 04:23 PM
Emma Quayle is an outstanding female journalist, knows her stuff inside out and got her job on merit rather as a favour to her father.

This. Absolutely.

Emma Quayle's universal respect in the footy world should be the final word to anyone claiming that Caro gets victimised for being a woman. She gets victimised because she is a shit journo, the worst in the business alongside Greg Denham (and that's saying something).

I'm happy to read a negative story if its hard-hitting, well-researched, well-written, sheds light on an interesting issue, and has depth. If its just waffle trash beating up a story of a couple of blokes yelling at each other and calling it a 'crisis'.. look, I know you have to fill newspaper inches, but give me a break.

ledge
12-08-2010, 05:35 PM
What with nowadays posting headlines that dont relate to the story at all.
I have noticed it in the Hun a few times this year.

azabob
12-08-2010, 06:18 PM
What with nowadays posting headlines that dont relate to the story at all.
I have noticed it in the Hun a few times this year.

Surely this does not surprise you?

Remi Moses
12-08-2010, 06:53 PM

Bingo. Wouldn't be surprised if that was a bit of Hutchy editing with that piece of footage.Remember Brayshaw standing on a platform of being an exclusive Melbourne only club!

Sockeye Salmon
12-08-2010, 07:21 PM

Wow. Just wow.

KT31
12-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Wow. Just wow.

This.

Twodogs
13-08-2010, 09:37 AM

Exactly. Quayle is a proper journo. Wilson and Lane are celebs who happen to use football as their vehicle. Quayle knows her topic and treats it with respect because she understands it's about football. The other two think it's all about themselves.

Twodogs
13-08-2010, 09:47 AM
She gets victimised because she is a shit journo, the worst in the business alongside Greg Denham (and that's saying something).

I'm happy to hear that someone else thinks that as well. Denham's tagline as "king of the whispers' makes me laugh because he just goes along with whatever clubs tell him without applying any amount of critical thought to the crap he is fed.

I wonder if he's settled that million dollar bet he had with that caller on KB's show during last years trade period? The caller said that Fev was on the trade table and was likely to go to Brisbane. Denham ridiculed him and said that because Carlton had told him Fev was going nowhere he was willing to bet a million bucks that Fev would stay at the Blues. He also bagged Chris Bond applying for senior coaching jobs-he didnt even know that Bond had been an assistant at the Bulldogs!

LostDoggy
13-08-2010, 09:59 AM
I wonder if he's settled that million dollar bet he had with that caller on KB's show during last years trade period? The caller said that Fev was on the trade table and was likely to go to Brisbane. Denham ridiculed him and said that because Carlton had told him Fev was going nowhere he was willing to bet a million bucks that Fev would stay at the Blues. He also bagged Chris Bond applying for senior coaching jobs-he didnt even know that Bond had been an assistant at the Bulldogs!

That was the last straw for me -- apart from the fact that his 'inside knowledge' amounts to no more than any of us could dig up with one phone call and that his so-called 'predictions' have been wrong more often than not, the fact that he didn't even know what Chris Bond's coaching credentials were but was happy to bag him out means that I don't ever listen to the blowhard on KB on Thursdays/Fridays anymore. I don't know how he keeps getting a gig, but it's probably a testament to how low the quality of media in football is.

Mofra
13-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Emma Quale is a journalist who just happened to be assigned the sports department.
Caroline Wilson has a football pedigree who just happens to have a job that allows her to build on that experience.

They cover completely different aspects of the sport anyway so they are hard to compare.

Remi Moses
13-08-2010, 05:21 PM
Is that some sort of wind up? Sam Lane who after years of meticulous media training still can't string two words together, Sam Lane who only got a job at channel 10 as part of her dad's package to move stations, Sam Lane who's lack of understanding of the sport in general leads to her asking such bizarre questions that her interview subjects can't follow her and simply make up an answer to keep the interview going?

Well done. Samantha Lane is terrible