Round 9 2009 - Geelong 116 def WB 114 - Etihad

The Form Leading In

Western Bulldogs

WWWWWL(Just)WW

Geelong

LWWLWWLW

The Selection Table

Western Bulldogs

The dreaded lurgy has hit the club and at time of posting it is unclear who may be left to run out in the Red, White and Blue. Woofers keep close to the phone as Rodney may yet give you a call up.

My take on what I've seen and read:

It would appear that Adam is doubtful and if he doesn't come up we will certainly miss him in particular his run and clearance work against one of the best midfield outfits. Get well Coons. Cal Ward to return to provide some rotational support and midfield grunt.

Hudson has done a magnificent job again this season and a rest is on the cards being only a few weeks out from our finals campaign and after wearing a heavy load last week against the Crows. With Will Minson performing at Williamstown and Roughead developing well I would expect these two to hold down the ruck duties against Ottens and Hawkins.

Subject to the extent of the epidemic that has hit the Club, Grant may also benefit from a week off to freshen up with Bobby Murphy hopefully ready to return.

Similarly, Shaun who was left out last week due illness may also be ready for a recall for Josh Hill who again did not take his opportunity when given to him by the MC.

In summary: In Minson, Murphy, Ward, Higgins; Out Hudson (Rested), Grant (Rested), Cooney (Ill), Hill

Geelong

A handy out for us is Harry Taylor III who was the recipient of Corey Enright's 'friendly fire' last week which inflicted damage to his AC joint. I can’t think of a direct substitute with any experience for the role that Harry plays for them and will be difficult for Geelong to replace. I suspect Wojcinski to come in to provide more run and carry for them off the half back line.

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/6995/wojodefensiverun.jpg

Although Neil Balme has denied it there appears some doubt on Cameron Ling this week. He has been down of late although he has good form against us in recent encounters. With Adam doubtful, Ling's possible omission would be more than timely for us.

Podsiadly is the other possible out for them this week. If he is sore, as is claimed, Etihad is unlikely to do much for his rehabilitation. Bomber Thompson has also indicated that he is no certain starter for them this week.

In summary: In Wojcinski, T Hunt, Hogan; Out H Taylor (AC), Podsiadly (General Soreness), Ling (General Soreness)

Possible Key Match Ups

What a different looking team we have going into this round from the last time we met Geelong in the Qualifying Final. Rather than talk of the possible / confirmed omissions those that are new from that evening are Hall, Williams, Everitt, Wood, Jones, Roughead, and Moles.

Hawkins v Lake

The Cats were ineffective in attack last week against Collingwood getting beaten in inside 50’s. They will be working hard to rectify this and our defense will come under immense pressure as the Cats look for Mooney and Hawkins out on the lead. I suspect Hawkins is more likely to be used as a decoy to minimise Lake’s influence in setting us up. Hawkins modus operandi when not changing ruck duties will be to negate Lake’s influence.

Mooney v Williams

Mooney performed well for them when we last met in the Qualifying Final with 12 marks and 3 goals. I pondered Dale on Mooney as has gone before but have gone with Tom this time seeing as he is available this time around and is holding his own. Tom will need to be on his game on Saturday and play Mooney tightly as I envisage a lot of ball coming his way.

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/8108/morrispressure.jpg

Johnson / Chapman v Morris / Murphy

From memory Johnson didn’t play in the Qualifying Final. I’m matching up arguably Geelong’s most dangerous forward in StevieJ, yes they have a lot, with Dale being our best close checking defender. The experience and skill of Murph to take the elusive and classy Chapman off the half back line.

Ablett / Selwood v Boyd / Cross

If Cooney and Ling fail to come up it will change the look of the typical midfield match ups.

Depending on whether Ling plays we may try to match Boyd up with Ablett in a head to head. If Ling plays he is likely to go to Boyd to negate his clearance work. Last week Swan went head to head with Ablett with Swan taking the honours on the night topping the clearances with 7. If Ling plays he goes to Boyd. I see Liam as the likely match up on Ablett. I expect Selwood and Crossy to go to each other in a fight to the death.

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/301/crosstackle.jpg

Mackie / Enright v Higgins / Johnson / Everitt / Eagleton

Our half forward line was starting to do my head in, I’m suspecting our MC’s as well. What we do know is that the Geelong back line and especially their half backs set their forward thrusts up time and time again. As with St Kilda’s Gilbert, Fisher etc we must shut these guys down with immense F50 pressure. The question is do we have what it takes across this line. Curb Mackie’s, Enright’s and a floating James Kelly’s influence and I see us having a great chance on Saturday.

Corey v Griffen

With a midfield setup of Minson, Boyd, Picken and Cross I have put Griffen on a wing on Corey in the hope that Griffen might be able to exploit Corey for speed having only recently returned from a leg injury. With that said, Corey does have a wonderful record against us. Of course with the possibility of no Cooney, Griffen will continue to be rotated through the midfield as Cross and Boyd take a breather.

Varcoe v Hargrave (possibly Wood although for now I have him on Stokes rather than Gilbee taking him – Hurry back Jarrod)

Varcoe’s been in good form and looms as a danger. Hargrave’s last couple of weeks has seen him regain some good form and his role this week in shutting down Varcoe will be key for us halting their forward thrusts. I expect Varcoe to spend some time through the midfield this week. He is one of their better ball users and for too long flew under the radar.

Scarlett v Hall

With no Taylor I don’t see Geelong having any viable alternative to Scarlett to match up on the dangerous Hall in the sterile Etihad surrounds. What will be critical is for Barry to hold his own defensively in negating the run of Scarlett. Our delivery to Barry will need to be spot on.

Where The Game Will Be Won and Lost

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/4655/bradjohnsonpressure.jpg

Against Geelong contested pressure has proven to be where it’s at and to negate their play on at all costs approach. I expect Rodney and the MC have been hammering home the importance of applying immense pressure and in particular in the forward fifty all week. We need to force Geelong into making costly turnovers. Last week Collingwood scored 86 of their total 107pts from turnovers more than double that from what Geelong were able to capitalise on.

Unlike in the QF last year we must also make the most out of the opportunities presented. We must win our fair share of ball out of the centre but importantly use it efficiently rather than spraying it into the arms of their rebounding defenders who will hurt you. We will need to look to Boyd, Crossy, Griffen and Ward etc for high efficiency out of the corridor.

If the likes of Cooney, Hudson and Harbrow don’t come up then others will need to step up to fill the large hole left by them. This one will take an effort across the entire twenty two selected but it certainly can be done.

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/9518/hallcelebrate.jpg

Mantis
12-08-2010, 09:53 AM
Good job Doc.

It will be interesting to see what line-up we field, you have taken the road that the quarantine gang (Murf, Morris, Gilbs, Moles) will come up ok, I hope you're right.

Agree with your call about F50 pressure, we can't allow their back 6 to set-up the play. Enright & Scarlett killed us in said QF so hopefully we put in place plans to deny Geelong their creativity and run from the back half.

If nothing else it will be another good opportunity to put our youngsters (Roughy, Jones, Wood...) under the spotlight against a high quality team which will no doubt give them some big-game experience and will also give the players around the edges of our best 22 another opportunity to push their case for selection in the team we take into our first final.

bornadog
12-08-2010, 10:05 AM
Great preview.

We need to get a psychological advantage over this mob as their last 8 games have produced three losses which starts to put a doubt in their heads. this has never been so in the previous three years where they have been supremely confident of beating anyone.

Crucial for us is Cooney, and Morris being fit as they are hard to replace.

Mofra
12-08-2010, 10:29 AM
Excellent preview.

The key to beating Geelong appears to be what players do when they haven't got the ball, rather than what they do with it. Geelong will pass off by hand many times until a teammate is free enough to deliver the ball by foot (especially if they get space to run the ball first) - if we chase, chase, tackle and chase to put the ball carrier and their nearest target under pressure, that will cause the turnovers we need to bury them.

Jones has been excellent in this regard and could cop a single digits game but still have done his job. Their backlien is not overly quick either, and I would have no problem with a Cooney (if he gets up) spending plenty of time forward so his burst speed worries their defence. Grant will be very important if he plays, and if he doesn't I'd expect Murphy to go forward.

LostDoggy
12-08-2010, 10:42 AM
Good preview, Doc.

I doubt whether we will go with Morris on Johnson who has towelled him up in the past. Hargrave has a good record against Johnson and he should be the man. As you say, Hargrave has come back into form and was excellent last week in particular.

Morris could do a complete shut-down on Stokes and providing Hargrave does the job on Johnson, I'm not sure where their goals are going to come from, given Mooney's poor form and Hawkins spudiness (new word).

The midfield is the worry if Cooney is absent. Ling will get the job done on Boyd so we need to have alternatives at stoppages. Gia may need to move back into the middle where he excelled earlier in the year. Time for Higgins to finally step-up.

Greystache
12-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Thanks Doc.

As others have said the key to beating Geelong is pressure on their ball carriers and in particular the lesser players who can carve you up if given space (Mackie, wojinski, Lonergan). When Geelong have been beaten it's because of pressure and turnovers out of defence. This has been one of our poorer areas and needs substantial improvement if we're to knock off the top teams.

I think just as critical is for everyone to be switched on right from the opening bounce, too often we let good sides get the jump on us forcing us to play catch up.

Nuggety Back Pocket
12-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Thanks Doc.

As other have said the key to bearing Geelong is pressure on their ball carriers and in particular the lesser players who can carve you up if given space (Mackie, wojinski, Lonergan). When Geelong have been beaten it's because of pressure and turnovers out of defence. This has been one of our poorer areas and needs substantial improvement if we're to knock off the top teams.

I think just as critical is for everyone to be switched on right from the opening bounce, too often we let good sides get the jump on us forcing us to play catch up.

Excellent preview by Doc. It illustrates the talent we have in our midst with Woof subscribers. The pressure applied by Collingwood last week was a major factor in their big win over the Cats as you have suggested In past games we tend to give opposition ball carriers too much latitude and that needs to be tightened up. Ablett, Bartel, Selwood, Johnson and Chapman in particular require maximum pressure to reduce their efficiency.
Hudson will be a big loss if he doesn't play as his efforts have been superlative this year.
We need both Minson and Roughead to step up to minimise the bearded one's loss.

LostDoggy
12-08-2010, 01:18 PM
Good preview, Doc.

I doubt whether we will go with Morris on Johnson who has towelled him up in the past. Hargrave has a good record against Johnson and he should be the man. As you say, Hargrave has come back into form and was excellent last week in particular.

Morris could do a complete shut-down on Stokes and providing Hargrave does the job on Johnson, I'm not sure where their goals are going to come from, given Mooney's poor form and Hawkins spudiness (new word).

The midfield is the worry if Cooney is absent. Ling will get the job done on Boyd so we need to have alternatives at stoppages. Gia may need to move back into the middle where he excelled earlier in the year. Time for Higgins to finally step-up.

I like Hargrave on Johnson also - only concern could be that Hargrave can be a little bit loose - one thing Johnson hates is the niggle and a really tight opponent which Hargrave can be good at if he is switched on.

Spudiness - like the sound of the word - got a definition to go with it?

LostDoggy
12-08-2010, 01:53 PM
I like Hargrave on Johnson also - only concern could be that Hargrave can be a little bit loose - one thing Johnson hates is the niggle and a really tight opponent which Hargrave can be good at if he is switched on.

Spudiness - like the sound of the word - got a definition to go with it?

Spudiness

Related Form - Spud

noun slang

NBG
can't play
over-rated
should be playing with Port Adelaide

Could be related to Patrick Wiggins

mjp
12-08-2010, 02:08 PM
This is an awesome preview D26.

Not much else to say...I am not sold on the match-ups you mentioned but it was a great read. Best one for the year. Great work.

Cyberdoggie
12-08-2010, 02:26 PM
It would be interesting to know what Barry Hall's record on Scarlett is like.

I can't remember if he has struggled in particular with him or not.

LostDoggy
12-08-2010, 06:12 PM
Cooney being doubtful could be a ploy to make Geelong possibly rest Ling..?

Mantis
13-08-2010, 02:35 PM
This is an awesome preview D26.

Not much else to say...I am not sold on the match-ups you mentioned but it was a great read. Best one for the year. Great work.

What would you be doing differently?

Hot_Doggies
13-08-2010, 09:21 PM
I would play Picken on Varcoe.

strebla
14-08-2010, 11:35 AM
I would play Picken on Varcoe.

I think Picken will get a few different run with roles in the middle I would play play young Wood or Moles on Varcoe and really try to hurt him the other way give him space and he can hurt you but if you get the upper hand early it is a much easier proposition .

Sockeye Salmon
14-08-2010, 07:20 PM
I think Picken will get a few different run with roles in the middle I would play play young Wood or Moles on Varcoe and really try to hurt him the other way give him space and he can hurt you but if you get the upper hand early it is a much easier proposition .

Moles couldn't keep up with Varcoe on a motorbike