PDA

View Full Version : Greatest full back of ALL TIME.

Dancin' Douggy
13-08-2010, 09:07 PM
David Parkin openly refers to our Brian as the greatest full back of all time.

An article in this weeks Inside football has Peter McKenna saying Brian Lake is the greatest full back he's ever seen. Better than Southby and better than Silvagni.

I love the fact that he was working in an abbattoir as well.......

GO BRIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doc26
13-08-2010, 09:18 PM
Hoping I might be around just long enough for the second Team of The Century, to bask in the sun as Brian takes the mantle off Silvagni. Ooh what a lovely day that would be.

bornadog
13-08-2010, 09:38 PM
David Parkin openly refers to our Brian as the greatest full back of all time.

An article in this weeks Inside football has Peter McKenna saying Brian Lake is the greatest full back he's ever seen. Better than Southby and better than Silvagni.

I love the fact that he was working in an abbattoir as well.......

GO BRIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian>Southby> Silvagni

Sockeye Salmon
13-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Brian>Southby> Silvagni

Brian > Dench > Southby > Silvagni

Dazza
13-08-2010, 11:19 PM
Lake>Harris>Silvagni

Greystache
13-08-2010, 11:31 PM
Lake > unit > core > god > country

LostDoggy
13-08-2010, 11:57 PM
Lake>Harris>Silvagni

Hahaha.

bornadog
14-08-2010, 12:53 AM
Brian > Dench > Southby > Silvagni

Agreed

craigsahibee
14-08-2010, 03:06 AM
Lake > Kennedy > Sandilands

chef
14-08-2010, 07:44 AM
Lake>Sir>Gow:D

ReLoad
14-08-2010, 08:53 AM
all we need to get Brian the recognition he needs is a flag.

Get that then he will be remembered as one of the greats, sadly without a flag in years to come he will be just another full back.

So please can we help Brian out just a little?

Twodogs
14-08-2010, 10:10 AM
I'm suprised at the lack of love in the room for Herb Henderson.

Sockeye Salmon
14-08-2010, 10:19 AM

That's because only you and EJ Smith are old enough to remember him.

My old man never stops going on about how good Henderson was. Apparently kept Coleman goaless once, did you know that? (That's an in joke since my father has told me it about 4,000 times over the last 35 years!)

GVGjr
14-08-2010, 10:26 AM
A few people I know rated David Darcy as a great full back.

Mofra
14-08-2010, 11:14 AM
Gloves Campbell still rates as the most stylish fullback

Bulldog4life
14-08-2010, 11:42 AM

You have it here Twodogs. He used to towel up Coleman each time.

LostDoggy
14-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Brian > Universe.

LostDoggy
14-08-2010, 01:58 PM
A few people I know rated David Darcy as a great full back.

I can remember David playing (just) and he was right up there with the best of them, however, Lake is the best I have seen, not being biased of course.:)

LostDoggy
14-08-2010, 02:11 PM

Good call, I was wondering when someone would mention Campbell. Remember the slick back hair too?

Twodogs
14-08-2010, 02:51 PM

Good call, I was wondering when someone would mention Campbell. Remember the slick back hair too?

He was like the anti-Jade Rawlings. He was a fullforward at another club who played a few games at fullback toward the end of his time there. Got picked up by us to plug a gap at fullback and actually did the job pretty well. No sooking and no tantys. He just put his head down, his (large) arse up and got on with matching it with the likes of Dunstall and Lockett.

The Underdog
14-08-2010, 03:08 PM
He was like the anti-Jade Rawlings. He was a fullforward at another club who played a few games at fullback toward the end of his time there. Got picked up by us to plug a gap at fullback and actually did the job pretty well. No sooking and no tantys. He just put his head down, his (large) arse up and got on with matching it with the likes of Dunstall and Lockett.

Slicked back hair, gloves and an arse that looked in white shorts like it might just float away. He did do a respectable job though.

As much as I love Brian, I think the whole comparison thing is a bit of a waste of time. I certainly haven't seen enough of players from other teams to make a call and comparing era's makes it even worse. Sorry if that sound's weak but I've been caught up in enough circular arguments in my life (Like the time we played Essendon and I heard an Essendon supporter on the train say that Sean Wellman was the equal of Paul Roos, I mean I know Roos wasn't a Doggies player but he would have towelled up Wellman at both ends at his peak and when did Wellman ever win the league MVP and get ripped off for a Brownlow....oops this is exactly what I just said I didn't like doing, crap). And when we're relying on the opinions of Peter McKenna then I'm not sure that's enough to back anything up.
I'm just glad Brian's here now and we get to watch him each week.

Desipura
14-08-2010, 03:11 PM
Sorry if that sound's weak but I've been caught up in enough circular arguments in my life (Like the time we played Essendon and I heard an Essendon supporter on the train say that Sean Wellman was the equal of Paul Roos, I mean I know Roos wasn't a Doggies player but he would have towelled up Wellman at both ends at his peak and when did Wellman ever win the league MVP and get ripped off for a Brownlow....oops this is exactly what I just said I didn't like doing, crap).

Was the Essendon supporters comeback to you, at least Wellman played on an opponent as opposed to running free in the backline like Roos used to?

Twodogs
14-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Was the Essendon supporters comeback to you, at least Wellman played on an opponent as opposed to running free in the backline like Roos used to?

That's probably where the circular argument started.

Desipura
14-08-2010, 03:27 PM
That's probably where the circular argument started.
:D you are probably right!

The Underdog
14-08-2010, 03:33 PM

See these arguments are pointless...:p

Desipura
14-08-2010, 03:45 PM
See these arguments are pointless...:p

I enjoyed your little rant. There's a thread we have not covered, arguments you have had at the footy . Or maybe we have, Im sure someone will bump up a thread soon... lol

azabob
14-08-2010, 03:51 PM
I enjoyed your little rant. There's a thread we have not covered, arguments you have had at the footy . Or maybe we have, Im sure someone will bump up a thread soon... lol

The arguements that I find the most frustrating is player A is better than player B as he won a priemership.

Using that rationale Aaron Keating or Cameron Mooney are better players than Chirs Grant!

Sockeye Salmon
14-08-2010, 07:28 PM
The arguements that I find the most frustrating is player A is better than player B as he won a priemership.

Using that rationale Aaron Keating or Cameron Mooney are better players than Chirs Grant!

This one is my pet hate.

Stan Alves played over 200 games for Melbourne, was a long time club captain and part of what was just abouit the greatest centreline in history - Alves, Wells, Flower. In his entire time at Melbourne he didn't play in a single final. Melbourne wanted to re-build in '77 and as Alves was 31, they said he could go anywhere he wanted. Barassi picked him up and he played in North's '77 premiership.

At age 32, Stan Alves suddenly became a star and later walked into media and the St. Kilda coaching job as a 'premiership player'.

I'll let you in on a secret. By the end of '76, Stan Alves was already a bona fide star.

Rance Fan
14-08-2010, 10:19 PM
Greatest full back all time--- after watching tonight..it aint Lake!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-08-2010, 10:29 PM

Have you vever seen any other champ have a shocker before?

Rance Fan
14-08-2010, 10:49 PM
Have you vever seen any other champ have a shocker before?

I just think he has to many "brain fades". One of the greatest defenders to read the play and take marks. But one on one on a leading forward he gives them to much space. ie. often seems a step or two behind.
Hes good at the body on body. A very good defender, not he greatest.

bornadog
15-08-2010, 01:25 AM

So you write him off for one bad game.

He was obviously not himself tonight, didn't look like a well boy.

KT31
15-08-2010, 03:28 AM
:mad:

Not sure he ever proclaimed to be the best ever, but he will do me.:mad:

chef
15-08-2010, 07:31 AM

He was obviously injured or sick last night.

bornadog
15-08-2010, 12:00 PM
He was obviously injured or sick last night.

Hip Injury in the first quarter, couldn't jump. Should be ok for next week.

LostDoggy
15-08-2010, 12:00 PM

Most people find it hard to even walk with a crook hip that alone play a game of footy .One bad game,and Lake is hopeless,geezzz .hope Lake is ok for next week but no one seems to care about that.forget how he has played previous to last night .some bloody supporters you are

LostDoggy
16-08-2010, 10:58 AM
That's because only you and EJ Smith are old enough to remember him.

My old man never stops going on about how good Henderson was. Apparently kept Coleman goaless once, did you know that? (That's an in joke since my father has told me it about 4,000 times over the last 35 years!)

Thanks very much

The best Coleman kicked on Herb was 4. Not bad seeing he kicked 10+ on everybody else

Lake is the best I've seen. Better than Scarlett and Silvagni and definitely Southby who used to die of fright when Templeton walked towards him.

I remember at Carlton one day, Southby in kicking off after a point kicked to himself and then bounced the ball but it bounced forward instead of back to him, straight to Templeton who kicked the ball over his head for a goal from about 15 metres out.

Very funny

Twodogs
16-08-2010, 11:22 AM
I remember at Carlton one day, Southby in kicking off after a point kicked to himself and then bounced the ball but it bounced forward instead of back to him, straight to Templeton who kicked the ball over his head for a goal from about 15 metres out.

Very funny

Geez we are old mate. I can remember that vividly.

LostDoggy
16-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Deserves it for bouncing after two steps (a real pet peeve of mine, guys who bounce the ball every two steps -- it's not basketball: run the ball out, you mug!)

LostDoggy
16-08-2010, 01:14 PM

An old footy friend bought me a concrete Bulldogs man for my 21st. With his painted on black hair he looks a lot like Tony Campbell. :D

bornadog
16-08-2010, 02:19 PM
An old footy friend bought me a concrete Bulldogs man for my 21st. With his painted on black hair he looks a lot like Tony Campbell. :D

Does he have one glove?:D