PDA

View Full Version : Round 21 - WOOF Selection Table

becmatty
14-08-2010, 11:04 PM
Lets move on quickly after that...

Round 21 Vs Sydney is a chance to reload and get back to the form that had seen us win the previous five matches.

We have some big ins pending. Expect 3-5 changes.

In: Cooney, Hudson, Harbrow, Grant
Out: Wood (Hamstring), Minson, Moles, Eagleton

Also...Picken (if suspended), Williams (if not fit after knock to head/neck) could miss. Johnno looked very proppy too. And Higgins will come under some serious scrutiny.

I'd say Hahn, Hill, Hooper and Stack will be hoping for good games for Willy tomorrow.

LostDoggy
14-08-2010, 11:13 PM
Start with the outs.

Out: Picken (suspended - probably), Eagleton (omitted - geriatic), Higgins (omitted - downhill skier), Minson (omitted - love the bloke, but found wanting), Wood (hamstring)

In: Hudson, Cooney, Grant, Harbrow, plus one other (depends on Williamstown game tomorrow)

Disappointed in Higgins this year - poor disposal, poor tackling, lack of effort. Eagleton has done an "Akermanis" and gone on one year too many. Even Captain Courageous, Johnno, is looking old.

G-Mo77
14-08-2010, 11:51 PM
Sadly we will lose Picken. A couple of weeks one would think. Wood will be out with a hammy. Williams will probably be gone as well through injury. These are probably 3 guys that do not deserve to be dropped after tonight and sadly the players that do deserve to get demoted will survive by default.

Rance Fan
14-08-2010, 11:53 PM
Start with the outs.

Out: Picken (suspended - probably), Eagleton (omitted - geriatic), Higgins (omitted - downhill skier), Minson (omitted - love the bloke, but found wanting), Wood (hamstring)

In: Hudson, Cooney, Grant, Harbrow, plus one other (depends on Williamstown game tomorrow)

Disappointed in Higgins this year - poor disposal, poor tackling, lack of effort. Eagleton has done an "Akermanis" and gone on one year too many. Even Captain Courageous, Johnno, is looking old.

Pretty much agree with that. I put $10 on Higgins for the Brownlow prior to the season starting!!
Hahah geez was i way off!

becmatty
15-08-2010, 12:06 AM
Did Moles, Roughead, Jones and Everitt do enough to hold their places?

soupman
15-08-2010, 12:12 AM
Higgins, at the moment he is the ultimate tease. Promises so much, but continually delivers half arsed efforts and inconsistent games. Any chance of going flat out for once? either he still isn't right phyisically, or he isn't desperate enough mentally. Either way, he should be dropped this week. I cannot justify picking him ahead of other blokes.

Minson is another regular who should be under pressure. Basically it comes down to what offers us more, Hudson and Minson or Hudson and Roughead? The latter combo is winning atm. I like Minson, and think his value is undersold frequently by supporters. Howeer, he struggles to find touches too often and whilst a better field kick than many think, often isn't dangerous enough with the few touches he does get. I think this week put him back down at Williamstown and try and see if he hits form.

Wood is the most dissapointing out, because this season he has been outstanding. He is so capable physically, and the best part about him is he always keeps his feet, whether its when he is tackled, picking up the ball or impacting a marking contest. Very impressive.

Eagleton is probably the fourth out. Tonight he was absent (as were a few), and really he shouldn't be in our best 22 when we have 25 players fit. Sadly this is probably the end for him.

In's this week are the obvious Cooney, Hudson, Harbrow and Grant

soupman
15-08-2010, 12:17 AM

Everitt played his best game this year. Very encouraging. Took marks, used the footy well and kicked a lovely disallowed (wrongly from where I was sitting) goal.

Roughead didn't beat Hawkins in the ruck like I expected him too, but was solid arounfd the ground and up forward. Atm I think he offers more as the second ruck than Minson.

Jones' defensive pressure is good, and he kicked two goals. His marking ability hasn't come to the fore just yet, he tends to be outbodied at the moment, but I'd keep him in.

Moles wasn't great, but tried hard and did some good things. Probably the one most in danger of losing his spot.

LostDoggy
15-08-2010, 12:17 AM

Them three, yes.

Doc26
15-08-2010, 12:25 AM
Just home from the game and painfully saw it through. How demoralizing (again). Heard on the way home that Higgins has done a calf late in the game and will miss ~3, similarly, and has has been mentioned, Wood with a hamstring out for ~3 as well. Picken will come under MRP scrutiny. I expect Everitt, Jones and Roughead to hold their positions although of the 3 Roughy in particular struggled to have a positive influence tonight but then Will was ordinary (he wasn't alone). So much for forward fifty pressure and holding the Cats half back line to account. Take our learnings and move on.

LostDoggy
15-08-2010, 12:34 AM
I had seats in Aisle 11 but didn't end up going. I caught the dog flu. Probably a good thing in the end?

I thought Williams did a great job on the J-Pod as well. When did Higgins injure himself? I didn't see it. If Picken gets suspended Addison will probably come in.

LostDoggy
15-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Out: Minson, Higgins, Wood, Eagleton
In: Hudson, Cooney, Harbrow, Grant

After watching channel 7 this morning, i think Picken might be able to get off.

bornadog
15-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Out: Minson, Higgins, Wood, Moles

Eagleton should be dropped but won't be.

GVGjr
15-08-2010, 12:21 PM
Out: Minson, Higgins, Wood, Moles

Eagleton should be dropped but won't be.

Do you think that makes us a bit slower despite Harbrows run? I'd question if we need two rucks against the Swans as well.

LostDoggy
15-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Am also of the belief, that Hahn might be recalled this week.

Don't agree with it, but wouldn't surprise me at all.

bornadog
15-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Do you think that makes us a bit slower despite Harbrows run? I'd question if we need two rucks against the Swans as well.

Harbrow, Grant and Cooney have pace. I am not sold on Moles, doesn't get enough of the ball and disposal is always rushed.

We could go with Everitt in the ruck and drop both Minson and Roughead.

Rocco Jones
15-08-2010, 01:30 PM

We also have Williams to help out.

Go_Dogs
15-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Harbrow, Grant and Cooney have pace. I am not sold on Moles, doesn't get enough of the ball and disposal is always rushed.

I'd agree with that.

If Roughead goes out too, then perhaps Addison is a good option to come in.

Jasper
15-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Assume we play Collingwood in the first final then we need to get more runners in place. And that means players that add little value when they aren't rucking (ie Minson - slow of mind and hand; or Roughead - gets pushed off to easily and can't kick for goal) need to be replaced with a running mid to support our runners against the best running team in the comp in Collingwood. I reckon Williams could follow Brown when he goes forward and when he rucks. Everitt could also pinch hit if Williams played on Cloke (reckon Morris could do this though)

Outs - Higgins, Wood, Minson, Roughead
In - Harbrow, Cooney, Hudson, Grant

Eagle, Moles and Ward are lucky.

I would hope that Ward will get better. Wood replaces Eagle when fit.

That is probably our best team. And no, on form this year Higgins, Hahn, and Eagle aren't in our best 22. Jones has already surpassed Hahn. Higgins can't kick, looks slow and is lacking confidence (probably not surprising). Moles adds more than Higgins at the moment. And Everitt probably adds more than Minson or Roughead.

LostDoggy
15-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Out: Eagleton, Minson, Higgins, Ward (unfit)

In: Huddo, Cooney, Harbrow, Grant

LostDoggy
15-08-2010, 09:51 PM
Pretty much agree with that. I put $10 on Higgins for the Brownlow prior to the season starting!!
Hahah geez was i way off!

You should write to him demanding the $10 plus paying the club back his wages.. He should have been fined last night .. no spectators allowed on the ground.. a disgrace to the number 7

Bumper Bulldogs
15-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Out: Minson, Higgins, Wood, Eagleton

After watching channel 7 this morning, i think Picken might be able to get off.

Picken will get off as they will have to out Chapman as well and they wont be doing that.

IMO the outs will be Minson, Eagle, Wood & Williams both injured.

The Ins will be Cooney, Harbrow, Hudson and Grant.

With Tommy Gun out I would like to see Everitt run with Goodes.

I will Moles over Eagle as he has pace and more determination.

My view is that Ward, Higgo and Johno if fit should be playing as we need games and confidence into them come September.

Greystache
15-08-2010, 10:07 PM
In- Hudson, Grant, Harbrow, Cooney, Hahn
Out- Boyd (omitted), Higgins, Eagleton, Minson, Wood (inj)

becmatty
16-08-2010, 12:53 AM

Boyd omitted?

chef
16-08-2010, 11:11 AM
IN Cooney, Grant, Hahn, Harbrow, Addison and Hudson

OUT Wood, Minson, Eagleton, Higgins, Jones and Ward

*Ward stays in if Picken is suspended.

Ozza
16-08-2010, 11:24 AM
In: Cooney; Hudson; Harbrow; Grant;
Out: Eagleton; Higgins; Minson; Wood

Hopefully Picken escapes suspension, and Ward is fit.

At least Picken was looking to tackle fiercely when he whacked Selwood - one of the only blokes who tackles like he genuinely wants to lay tackles.

LostDoggy
16-08-2010, 11:27 AM

Was that a typo Greystache?

mjp
16-08-2010, 11:48 AM
Was that a typo Greystache?

If you read his other posts I think you would realise that it is not a typo.

bornadog
16-08-2010, 11:56 AM

You would be the only person in Australia to ask for that. Poor form

Mantis
16-08-2010, 12:00 PM
You would be the only person in Australia to ask for that. Poor form

He has given his reasons in other threads to why he wants this to occur.

You obviously don't agree and that's your right, but don't knock someone for offering up their opinion.

The Pie Man
16-08-2010, 12:06 PM
^^

I've read on this forum before that the MC don't mind errors, but not following instructions drives them nuts - makes sense.

If Boyd & Cross are instructed to be accountable (I don't know on this point, but it seems a reasonable thing to assume) and then do the exact opposite, then they'll be in the firing line.

I reckon some of our 'great' midfield have got 6 weeks to show us something different - or the MC will reconsider if they can take us forward.

And thank *&% they've still got that opportunity.

LostDoggy
16-08-2010, 12:24 PM
If you read his other posts I think you would realise that it is not a typo.

Thankyou MJP - do struggle to read every single post and remember everyones opinion. Can now see Greystche has an issue with Boyd being in the side. Believe dropping Boyd is pretty extreme IMO but each to their own.

ReLoad
16-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Matthew Boyd is probably his own harshest critic (that says a lot given us woofers at times and no criticism on those who have expressed their opinion.) and he was bitterly disappointed after the game.

but Matthew Boyd is critical to the success of our team, he is a stand up start in any 22 man team in the country, Geelong and Collingwood included, to suggest that he isnt in ours is not correct.

Teams are about balance having the right mix of players, and our Mix on Saturday night was correct, albeit poorly executed.

The two most obvious examples on unaccountability and one way football were Shaun Higgins and Callan Ward, both whom are certainly not fit nor do they have confidence in themselves.

These are the sorts of omissions we need to consider as opposed to taking out our core team based on a performance blip. Lucky for us one of these decisions has already been made.

To me the worst thing to come out of this game was the injury to Wood, the guy was sticking it to Steve J and looks to me to be another Dale Morris.

needless to say, normally i would travel up to the swans game, but i am giving it a miss, consider that voting with my feet.

As for changes this week:

Out: Minson(omit), Higgins(inj - omit anyway), Wood(Inj), Eagleton (omit), Johnson (rest/omit)
In: Hudson, Cooney, Grant, Harbrow, Hahn(scg suits him consider him a designated hitter or pinch hitter especially for the occasion)

DOG GOD
16-08-2010, 01:44 PM
I agree with you reload that there was no way Higgins and Ward were fit enough to tackle a team like geelong, and both were showed up immensely. Add that to the fact that our fwd line is as slow as dogs in cement doesnt help the cause.

Those asking for drastic measures against Boyd and Cross have a point, but realistically BOTH are in our best 22 hands down. Maybe all is needed is to give one or the other a different role. Could Boyd play a defensive fwd type and allow Gia time in the middle?

The problem is that both Boyd and Cross are too similiar, same as Giff and Coon. 1 of each need to be rotated thru the centre, not both at the same time. Maybe Rocket needs to get the message across to Boyd and give him a role as the defensive fwd this week. Put the ultimatum to him. Do your job or u risk being dropped like any other player.

Collingwood have shown this year that players have to EARN their guernsey, and while the likes of Fraser, Anthony, Lockyer etc are struggling to get into the team, the young kids like Blair, Sidebottom, Beams etc are in there coz they are DOING THEIR JOB!!!

Maybe Rocket needs to look outside the box like he did with Wood on Stevie J, and give the midfield group something to really think about.

bornadog
16-08-2010, 01:48 PM
He has given his reasons in other threads to why he wants this to occur.

You obviously don't agree and that's your right, but don't knock someone for offering up their opinion.

Well I gave my opnion to, that he is the only person in Australia with those views. Boyd may be all Australian this year. Yes he has deficiencies, but no one is a perfect footballer.

ReLoad
16-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Yes he has deficiencies, but no one is a perfect footballer.
Myth Busted:

Angelo Petraglia.

SlimPickens
16-08-2010, 02:29 PM
At the risk of being shouted down I think Johnno should be omitted this week. There is no doubt that he is not right.

Out Johnson Minson Higgins Wood Eagleton
In Cooney Hudson Harbrow Grant Hahn

Mofra
16-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Maybe Rocket needs to look outside the box like he did with Wood on Stevie J, and give the midfield group something to really think about.
Grant & Jones being given extended runs also help. I was happy with the way Jones has been kept in the side and defensive efforts like he puts up are the only way we're going to match running teams like Collingwood.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-08-2010, 03:38 PM
Grant & Jones being given extended runs also help. I was happy with the way Jones has been kept in the side and defensive efforts like he puts up are the only way we're going to match running teams like Collingwood.

Agreed.

Does it mean Jones is potentially booking himself a spot for finals? Higgins will be missing and whilst they're different players, Jones has been one of our better forwards in the last two games. As you said - he chases (ditto Grant) and that alone might see him get the nod.

Before anyone shoots - yes, he's not 'ready' persay ... but he's giving us an option and is applying pressure. He's more involved than Johnson, Higgins and Hahn before injury.

DOG GOD
16-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Eade needs to reward players doing THEIR JOB in the team. Not reward guys who he sees in our best 22 and are either playing injured or out of form.

Greystache
16-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Well I gave my opnion to, that he is the only person in Australia with those views. Boyd may be all Australian this year. Yes he has deficiencies, but no one is a perfect footballer.

If those deficiencies are the inability to follow instructions and to stick to the game plan, then a week at Williamstown is the best way help him work on those deficiencies.

No doubt at the game you follow the ball from player to player then give your opinions on who played well by how many times you saw them, but I can't understand how you cannot see that we were obliterated by the Geelong midfield and we simply would not man up!!

aker39
16-08-2010, 04:07 PM
A colleague told me that Gerard Whateley mentioned this morning that Brian Lake was seen at a surgeons office this morning. Anyone know anything about this.

Greystache
16-08-2010, 04:09 PM
At the risk of being shouted down I think Johnno should be omitted this week. There is no doubt that he is not right.

Out Johnson Minson Higgins Wood Eagleton
In Cooney Hudson Harbrow Grant Hahn

Good post young man, it's about time you joined WOOF! :D

Sockeye Salmon
16-08-2010, 06:15 PM
Collingwood have shown this year that players have to EARN their guernsey, and while the likes of Fraser, Anthony, Lockyer etc are struggling to get into the team, the young kids like Blair, Sidebottom, Beams etc are in there coz they are DOING THEIR JOB!!!

You mean like the way Minson, Hahn, Akermanis, Eagleton, Hill and even Johnson did their turn at Willi? While the likes of Grant, Wood, Stack, Moles and even Roughead and Jones get an extended run in the firsts?

Edit: Damn. I should have written a few words in capitals and added exclamation marks.

bornadog
16-08-2010, 06:20 PM
If those deficiencies are the inability to follow instructions and to stick to the game plan, then a week at Williamstown is the best way help him work on those deficiencies.

No doubt at the game you follow the ball from player to player then give your opinions on who played well by how many times you saw them, but I can't understand how you cannot see that we were obliterated by the Geelong midfield and we simply would not man up!!

If that is the case we need to drop 18 players.

Give it up Greystache, Boyd WILL NOT BE DROPPED.

BulldogBelle
16-08-2010, 10:22 PM
Hey...all good posts, but I want to ask a question....do we have the correct selection philosophy??? Watching the current top 3 teams...a tall KP goes out, a tall KP comes in....a speedy defender goes out, a speedy defender comes in, an inside mid goes out, an inside midfielder comes in. You get the drift. But with the Dogs...best 22, week in, week out. Good in the suburbs, maybe even the VFL, but not in AFL by a long way. At the moment, Johnno, Ward and Higgins generally all have the same role...medium forward, but only a fill in crumber...Gia. No genuine goal sneek. There are specific player type deficiencies and over-dones all over the field. At one stage on Sat, night, 4 tall forward inside 50 (Hall, Lake, Minson and Jones), and 2 lead up mids...Gia and Johnno....just ridiculous. No hope with this "best 22" mentality. The modern game is all about team structure and role playing, and we do it poorly.

ratsmac
16-08-2010, 11:27 PM
Outs - Western Bulldogs
Ins - Williamstown

LostDoggy
16-08-2010, 11:42 PM
Whoa better change my jocks thought Hutchy was going to say Harbrow!

LostDoggy
17-08-2010, 02:42 AM
Just watching highlights of 2008 Prelim. Higgins looked so good. Maybe he should go back to his old jumper number...?

Wing_Nut
17-08-2010, 03:41 AM
Higgins is battling injury and has been all year. Unsure of his value to the team playing half injured and giving him a rest probably won't help at this stage of the year.

becmatty
17-08-2010, 03:44 AM
Higgins is battling injury and has been all year. Unsure of his value to the team playing half injured and giving him a rest probably won't help at this stage of the year.

Higgins is a gun, waiting to fire. The two week recovery time needed for his calf will hopefully enable him to get his body and mind right for the business end of the season - Finals.

Have faith in Higgins, Wingnut; his match winning qualities are vital if we are to win it ths year...

becmatty
17-08-2010, 03:53 AM
In: Cooney, Hudson, Harbrow, Grant
Out: Wood (Hamstring), Minson, Moles, Eagleton

I'd say Hahn, Hill, Hooper and Stack will be hoping for good games for Willy tomorrow.

I will stick to my initial four outs, plus add Higgins (calf) to that. If Hahn were to be the fifth player to come in, could we field a side which has Jones, Grant and Hahn?

Ghost Dog
17-08-2010, 08:42 AM
Hey...all good posts, but I want to ask a question....do we have the correct selection philosophy??? Watching the current top 3 teams...a tall KP goes out, a tall KP comes in....a speedy defender goes out, a speedy defender comes in, an inside mid goes out, an inside midfielder comes in. You get the drift. But with the Dogs...best 22, week in, week out. Good in the suburbs, maybe even the VFL, but not in AFL by a long way. At the moment, Johnno, Ward and Higgins generally all have the same role...medium forward, but only a fill in crumber...Gia. No genuine goal sneek. There are specific player type deficiencies and over-dones all over the field. At one stage on Sat, night, 4 tall forward inside 50 (Hall, Lake, Minson and Jones), and 2 lead up mids...Gia and Johnno....just ridiculous. No hope with this "best 22" mentality. The modern game is all about team structure and role playing, and we do it poorly.

Hmm. Food for thought. Interesting points.

Mantis
17-08-2010, 09:34 AM
I have heard rumours that there could be anywhere from 4 to 6 changes.

I guess we will have to wait til game day to find out what the go is.

bornadog
17-08-2010, 09:36 AM

4 to 6 is a lot

Possible ins then if that is the case are:

Hudson, Cooney, Harbrow, Grant, Hahn and maybe Hill or Addison.

Mantis
17-08-2010, 09:39 AM
4 to 6 is a lot

Possible ins then if that is the case are:

Hudson, Cooney, Harbrow, Grant, Hahn and maybe Hill or Addison.

4 is a given.

Grant, Cooney, Harbrow & Hudson will come back into the team.

bornadog
17-08-2010, 09:42 AM
4 is a given.

If the Hawks win, then we are entrenched in the top four and we should make the changes if there are any doubts on players.

Ward worries me with his possible injuries, any word if he is ok to play?

DOG GOD
17-08-2010, 09:42 AM
You mean like the way Minson, Hahn, Akermanis, Eagleton, Hill and even Johnson did their turn at Willi? While the likes of Grant, Wood, Stack, Moles and even Roughead and Jones get an extended run in the firsts?

Edit: Damn. I should have written a few words in capitals and added exclamation marks.

:confused: Grant has become the only regular out of that lot. The others seem to be rotated when others are dropped SS.

I'll be sure to write in all small letters from now on just to please you.

Picken Knows
17-08-2010, 09:44 AM
4 is a given.

The outs would be Higgins, Wood, Minson and Eagleton

Mantis
17-08-2010, 09:47 AM
The outs would be Higgins, Wood, Minson and Eagleton

Would they?

Mantis
17-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Ward worries me with his possible injuries, any word if he is ok to play?

He needs to play.

I guess the decision to me made is that in his current shape is he of enough value to us. The lack of a pre-season and the constant niggles have left Callan with a pretty poor base and he really looks to be struggling with the pace of the game at present.

Mofra
17-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Hey...all good posts, but I want to ask a question....do we have the correct selection philosophy??? Watching the current top 3 teams...a tall KP goes out, a tall KP comes in....a speedy defender goes out, a speedy defender comes in, an inside mid goes out, an inside midfielder comes in.
Geelong dropped Lonergan & Taylor (inj) for quicks, knowing we'd be short of run. They weren't dropped for the same type of player.

azabob
17-08-2010, 08:48 PM
He needs to play.

I guess the decision to me made is that in his current shape is he of enough value to us. The lack of a pre-season and the constant niggles have left Callan with a pretty poor base and he really looks to be struggling with the pace of the game at present.

Issue is same deal with Higgins and Johnson. Can we afford to play all 3 come finals? Assuming Higgins is ready in 3 weeks.

becmatty
18-08-2010, 12:26 AM

Its hardly a rumour - the coach has already listed four players to return (Hudson, Grant, Harbrow and Cooney) and further additions (Hahn, Addison) cannot be ruled out.

My suspicion though is that they will only make the four changes, and prime Hahn for a round 22 return against Essendon. Mitch's record against the Bombers is outstanding and it could be a timely return, I believe...

Desipura
18-08-2010, 10:36 AM
CORRECTION:
In: Hudson, Harbrow, Cooney, Hill, Grant
Out: Minson, Eagleton, Wood, Higgins, and Moles.
Addison on standby

Mantis
18-08-2010, 10:42 AM
In: Hudon, Harbrow, Cooney, Hill and Addison (it will be tough out there, he's coming off a 35 possie game at Willi)
Out: Minson, Eagleton, Wood, Higgins and Moles.

No Grant? He will come straight back in.

Sockeye Salmon
18-08-2010, 11:19 AM
CORRECTION:
In: Hudson, Harbrow, Cooney, Hill, Grant
Out: Minson, Eagleton, Wood, Higgins, and Moles.
Addison on standby

If Moles was dropped for Hill I'd spew up. I'd be pretty disappointed if Moles was dropped before Ward or Eagleton as well.

comrade
18-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Its hardly a rumour - the coach has already listed four players to return (Hudson, Grant, Harbrow and Cooney) and further additions (Hahn, Addison) cannot be ruled out.

My suspicion though is that they will only make the four changes, and prime Hahn for a round 22 return against Essendon. Mitch's record against the Bombers is outstanding and it could be a timely return, I believe...

Who cares about Hahn's record against the Bombers? We won't be playing against them in September, so why base his selection on it?

Hahn has lost what little mobility he had, and for those talking up his performance for Willy on the weekend - they were playing a team that would struggle to win in the EDFL. 2 goals and 20 odd possessions in a 12 goal rout means absolutely nothing.

If he is in our 22 come the first final, the likes of O'Brien, Shaw and Maxwell will be sleeping in the change rooms prior to the game in the hope they can get first crack at him.

DOG GOD
18-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Having Hahn in the team as well as Johnno, Ward and Higgins (all playing injured) would be a recipe for disaster against a top 4 side.

I really just hope Eade and the match committee really have a close look at selection and pick a team that can beat C'wood or whoever, not a team based on the best 22 on paper.

My changes:
In - Hudson, Cooney, Harbrow, Grant
Out - Minson, Eagleton, Higgins, Wood

Ward is very lucky

LostDoggy
18-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Having Hahn in the team as well as Johnno, Ward and Higgins (all playing injured) would be a recipe for disaster against a top 4 side.

I really just hope Eade and the match committee really have a close look at selection and pick a team that can beat C'wood or whoever, not a team based on the best 22 on paper.

My changes:
In - Hudson, Cooney, Harbrow, Grant
Out - Minson, Eagleton, Higgins, Wood

Ward is very lucky

They must give Ward every opportunity to get games in. He is seriously underdone but if they can get his fitness and power up, he will be in the first lot picked

1eyedog
18-08-2010, 12:18 PM
He needs to play.

I agree, he has football smarts you just can't develop. We need to play him.

DOG GOD
18-08-2010, 12:59 PM
To me, Ward is still obviously injured. Can we afford to have him and Johnno nowhere near 100% in a final?

I love Callan as a player and he would certainly be in the first bracket picked in normal circumstances, but he has no power in his running and his set shots at goal have been horrendous. Cant lift his leg which suggests groin problems. Id be surprised if he is fully over his O.P from earlier on.

Desipura
18-08-2010, 01:19 PM
If Moles was dropped for Hill I'd spew up. I'd be pretty disappointed if Moles was dropped before Ward or Eagleton as well.
Thankyou Terry.
I think we need to find another forward who can kick goals and am more hopeful that Ward can step up in the middle.
Wards upside is greater than Moles (although I can see where you are coming from re if Moles was dropped before Ward)

Hill has no real form (did alright last week for Willi apparently). Why I have included him at this stage is in the hope he can provide another option as a forward who can provide that x factor.
With the finals around the corner, he would want to do everything possible to play this year.

mjp
18-08-2010, 01:23 PM

Every week you quote the coach.

At some stage you will have to accept that what he says to the media is in no way associated with his plans for the weekend.

Eade's comments to the media early in the week about team selection are very much in the 'rumor' category.

Before I Die
18-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Thankyou Terry.
I think we need to find another forward who can kick goals and am more hopeful that Ward can step up in the middle.
Wards upside is greater than Moles (although I can see where you are coming from re if Moles was dropped before Ward)

Hill has no real form (did alright last week for Willi apparently). Why I have included him at this stage is in the hope he can provide another option as a forward who can provide that x factor.
With the finals around the corner, he would want to do everything possible to play this year.

I am not normally in the loop regarding whispers, but I have heard from what I believe to be a reliable source, that Patrick Rose is likely to debut before the end of the home and away season. Not sure how this works with his rookie status. Perhaps the club can do a Hooper off, Rose on arrangement, or is there another spot available? Clearly Rose has moved past Hooper on current form for a small forward spot and although I doubt if he is being looked at as a possibility for the finals, there is a precedent for late season debuts. It would also help inform the club regarding his future.

mighty_west
18-08-2010, 08:04 PM
I am not normally in the loop regarding whispers, but I have heard from what I believe to be a reliable source, that Patrick Rose is likely to debut before the end of the home and away season. Not sure how this works with his rookie status. Perhaps the club can do a Hooper off, Rose on arrangement, or is there another spot available? Clearly Rose has moved past Hooper on current form for a small forward spot and although I doubt if he is being looked at as a possibility for the finals, there is a precedent for late season debuts. It would also help inform the club regarding his future.

Rose may miss a few weeks due to rolling his ankle at training today in a bruising session [he looked in alot of pain], which also saw Gilbee, Moles & Jones needing treatment. [on the CH10 news].

Go_Dogs
18-08-2010, 08:16 PM
A colleague told me that Gerard Whateley mentioned this morning that Brian Lake was seen at a surgeons office this morning. Anyone know anything about this.

Pretty concerning if his body can't hold up for the next 6 weeks. Here's hoping it was just a precaution and he'll be moving well come Saturday.

Before I Die
18-08-2010, 08:20 PM
Rose may miss a few weeks due to rolling his ankle at training today in a bruising session [he looked in alot of pain], which also saw Gilbee, Moles & Jones needing treatment. [on the CH10 news].

That's very unfortunate. The pain may have been more than just physical if the whisper I mentioned earlier was correct. Hopefully there is no serious damage and any swelling subsides quickly.

becmatty
18-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Who cares about Hahn's record against the Bombers? We won't be playing against them in September, so why base his selection on it?

Hahn has lost what little mobility he had, and for those talking up his performance for Willy on the weekend - they were playing a team that would struggle to win in the EDFL. 2 goals and 20 odd possessions in a 12 goal rout means absolutely nothing.

If he is in our 22 come the first final, the likes of O'Brien, Shaw and Maxwell will be sleeping in the change rooms prior to the game in the hope they can get first crack at him.

Regardless of finalsm we need to win against the Bombers first in order to sew up a top four spot. So, Mitch's domination over the years against the Bombers will be a consideration with his selection in round 22.

I hope he gets a game.

comrade
18-08-2010, 08:55 PM
Regardless of finalsm we need to win against the Bombers first in order to sew up a top four spot. So, Mitch's domination over the years against the Bombers will be a consideration with his selection in round 22.

I hope he gets a game.

If we can't beat the Bombers without Mitch Hahn, we may as well not show up against Collingwood.

becmatty
18-08-2010, 09:13 PM
Every week you quote the coach.

At some stage you will have to accept that what he says to the media is in no way associated with his plans for the weekend.

Eade's comments to the media early in the week about team selection are very much in the 'rumor' category.

The coach is saying it, the papers are saying it, I am saying it: We have 4 stars ready to return, as well as Hahn pressing for selection. What part of 4-6 changes sounds like a rumour then??!

GVGjr
18-08-2010, 09:19 PM
The coach is saying it, the papers are saying it, I am saying it: We have 4 stars ready to return, as well as Hahn pressing for selection. What part of 4-6 changes sounds like a rumour then??!

I heard it on SEN as well saying that as many as 5 changes could happen.

Mantis
18-08-2010, 10:05 PM

I would hardly take it as fact you're saying it.

Your track record at picking the ins and outs is downright embarrassing.

becmatty
18-08-2010, 10:28 PM

Nor you Mantis. Thats why we are not on the MC, but having discussion as supporters on this forum.

Desipura
19-08-2010, 09:39 AM
Nor you Mantis. Thats why we are not on the MC, but having discussion as supporters on this forum.

No offence BecMatty. Mantis and I have had our fair share of run ins however I would back Mantis's information over yours any day of the week!
If Mantis's information is not 100%, it is not that far off the mark. As opposed to your information which is at the other end of the scale.
Mantis does not need me to back him up, just thought I would make this point.

becmatty
19-08-2010, 10:27 AM
No offence BecMatty. Mantis and I have had our fair share of run ins however I would back Mantis's information over yours any day of the week!
If Mantis's information is not 100%, it is not that far off the mark. As opposed to your information which is at the other end of the scale.
Mantis does not need me to back him up, just thought I would make this point.

This forum is for providing your own opinions. If my selections differ from yours or the MC, whoopee do.

I think its time you both to go back to Williamstown to regain some form.

Mofra
19-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Lets be honest here, even Travis Cloke has you covered for conversion rate :p

Desipura
19-08-2010, 10:35 AM
This forum is for providing your own opinions. If my selections differ from yours or the MC, whoopee do.

Every day you give a different opinion on team selections. Im sure you read the paper each day and see what someone writes then change your opinion accordingly.
Sometimes less information is better.
I think you need to go to Williamstown as you are yet to hit a target. :D

bornadog
19-08-2010, 10:38 AM

Keep your opinions coming Becmatty, thats what the forum is all about.

We all have our opinions and information passed on from various friends relatives and even inside the club itself. However, we all must realize the MC and the coaches can change their mind anytime depending on the fitness and player circumstances or even who the opposition is selecting.

mjp
19-08-2010, 11:19 AM

Hmmm. Yet last week you told us Harbrow would play because Eade said so. Would you call that a fact or a rumor?

Everything Eade says about selection can be put in the 'rumors' category. Every week.

I would actually prefer to just hear about what you think will happen and why rather than have you quote the coach because he blatantly tells mistruths to the press.

EasternWest
21-08-2010, 03:36 PM

Bit harsh Mantis.

I poke a bit of fun at becmatty too, but I like that he's willing to put it out there. At least, I always read his threads. It's true they're not always correct, but I'd rather he'd put them out there than be henpecked into silence for being bold.

GVGjr
21-08-2010, 03:43 PM
I poke a bit of fun at becmatty too, but I like that he's willing to put it out there.

I don't mind the way he challenges the status quo either but the weekly selections need to be a bit closer to the mark.

becmatty
21-08-2010, 07:51 PM
I don't mind the way he challenges the status quo either but the weekly selections need to be a bit closer to the mark.

GVGjr, this comment is pointless and a bit odd that you would side with posters who are beginning to get a bit personal, rather than encouraging folks to discuss and think outside the box if these choose to. I can defend my own comments and logic, however, other posters may not, and I think you will find that some members will drop off if they have persistent attacks from regulars.

My selections are my opinions and being different to the MC or popular opinion does not make them wrong nor embarrassing.

For the record, my ins this week were Cooney, Hudson, Harbrow and Grant (with Hahn listed as a strong chance for recall).