PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for Collingwood

becmatty
14-08-2010, 11:49 PM
The loss to Geelong has at least all but assured that we finish 4th and will face the Magpies in Week 1 of the finals.

We have a lot to work on, and the preparation begins now...

Can we beat Collingwood? And what has to happen for us to do so?

Pickenitup
14-08-2010, 11:59 PM
Can we beat the pies in one word YES

Rance Fan
15-08-2010, 12:00 AM
We need to have precision skills, run and carry, strong tackles that stick, goals not points, and pour on the pressure.
Basically beat them at their own game. I think we can match them and i think they may still be a bit suspect come finals performing. Plus they will be coming off a round 22 match against the hawks, which will be tough for them.
Fingers crossed!

LostDoggy
15-08-2010, 12:29 AM
I don't think we can, but we will win a semi-final then lose in another prelim.

soupman
15-08-2010, 12:35 AM
I think we can. Tonight was an aberration.

We have been building for a while. We've uncovered numerous quality players who won;t just be very good in the future, but are already good enough to hold their own.

I'm confident we cannot play this badly again, and with Hudson, Cooney, Harbrow and Grant and presumably no flu I think we are capable of being much better.

Of course we can beat Collingwood. Will that actually happen? It remains to be seen.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
15-08-2010, 12:40 AM
Right now I just want to concentrate on how we pick ourselves up from tonight and see how they respond next week and the week after, let alone talk about the finals series.
The game against Sydney next week looms large as a contest.
Roos and Kirks last home and away game at home, they will be fired up, and no doubt will see us as eminently gettable following tonights debacle, and on the back of their own effort today over Freo.

MrMahatma
15-08-2010, 07:13 AM
Ideally the Hawks are playing for a home final in Rd22 and hit the Pies hard, physically. Would like to have them coming off the back of a Hawthorn best effort.

The Pie Man
15-08-2010, 06:18 PM
You hope they've got concerns over the last quarter of footy we faced each other in - we were all over them late in that game.

Despite last night, we're a better team now than we were then (fancy losing to Essendon the week before that....seriously)

Mantis
15-08-2010, 07:02 PM
You hope they've got concerns over the last quarter of footy we faced each other in - we were all over them late in that game.

Despite last night, we're a better team now than we were then (fancy losing to Essendon the week before that....seriously)

But so are they.

Our skills went to the hounds last night due to Geelong's pressure.... Collingwood take applying pressure to the next level again.

LostDoggy
15-08-2010, 07:10 PM
We need a lot to go our way. Only thing I can hope for is Eade is saving the best for September

chef
15-08-2010, 07:46 PM
Hawthorn softening them up the week before would be handy.

LostDoggy
15-08-2010, 08:19 PM
I don't think Collingwood will go into that game very hard as they will be 1st on the ladder 100% if they win next week

The Pie Man
15-08-2010, 08:46 PM
But so are they.

Our skills went to the hounds last night due to Geelong's pressure.... Collingwood take applying pressure to the next level again.

This is of course true Mantis.

Still, I've got this strange feeling we'll be reading 'QF boilover' headlines in 3 weeks time. I think playing at the G suits this squad better than Etihad

DOG GOD
15-08-2010, 09:32 PM
I think playing at the G suits this squad better than Etihad

And we'll be playing a team that had played 8 at the g in a row b4 meeting us :(

LostDoggy
15-08-2010, 09:35 PM
And we have played there probably 8 times in the last 3 years lol

becmatty
16-08-2010, 09:45 PM
In Collingwood's 1990 Premiership season, they too had a heavy defeat in round 20 (lost by 83 points to Hawthorn).

We need to get back on the horse this week and start by making some careful decisions at the selection table, without too much panic.

LostDoggy
16-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Fremantle are still a chance to take fourth, we need to win one of the next two, so we aren't there yet.

BulldogBelle
16-08-2010, 10:37 PM
In Collingwood's 1990 Premiership season, they too had a heavy defeat in round 20 (lost by 83 points to Hawthorn).

We need to get back on the horse this week and start by making some careful decisions at the selection table, without too much panic.

True. To many games over the past few years have been decided before a ball has even been kicked by poor selection policies. We need to think carefully about match ups, particularly in attack, but without being to reactive. Tough gig, but thats why they get paid the big bucks.

LostDoggy
17-08-2010, 01:41 AM
Again history means nothing. Don't know much about the 1990 Pies, but even in that loss, they were probably in great form throughout the year and beat all the other contenders. ATM we deserve to be 4th and not much better then that. I always have hope and think we can do it, but my and many others dreams get crushed every time.

LostDoggy
17-08-2010, 09:16 AM
We need a lot to go our way. Only thing I can hope for is Eade is saving the best for September

With all due respect it has sod all to do with Eade, it's about time the players stepped right up to the plate and make the destiny that we have all prescribed for them come to fruition. Eade and co can only prepare the team to their best, it is up to the 22 selected to give 100% and then some to ensure victory, after the cat's I have doubts creeping in that they can achieve the required intensity, and never say die attitude that is required to win big finals games.

After following the dog's for 50 years I am praying that I am wrong and they do step up.

always right
17-08-2010, 09:19 AM
Hope is one thing we have in abundance. The memory that keps me going is our prelim loss to St Kilda last year.

After a disappointing first final against Geelong and a solid win against Brisbane, no-one expected us to beat St Kilda who has shown they had our measure in previous games last year. Although we fell short we showed we were a bee's dick away from a grand final berth. I consider us to have a superior team to last year and with the same sort of effort we are more than capable of doing some real damage.

Hope is a wonderful thing.

Go_Dogs
17-08-2010, 09:20 AM
Bring Monty back!

LostDoggy
17-08-2010, 06:00 PM
The one team I have watched give the pies a scare is the Demons - both times this year. They took the game on and ran, took chances. A majority of this year I feel the dogs have played within themselves and can't help but feel the game plan has something to do with it. I'd like to see Eade give the players a bit of licence to take the game on.

Sedat
17-08-2010, 07:24 PM
And we'll be playing a team that had played 8 at the g in a row b4 meeting us :(
Ah yes, but we'll be playing against a team that hasn't beaten a Victorian opponent in any final since 1990 ;)

Jokes aside, we'll have to find another couple of gears on what we've dished up for the majority of 2010 to date. First thing's first, we need the team to get 100% healthy (or as close to as possible).

azabob
17-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Bring Monty back!

Don't forget Cam Wight and Farren Ray!!

The Pie Man
17-08-2010, 10:04 PM

Chris Grant would be handy

LostDoggy
17-08-2010, 10:47 PM
The one team I have watched give the pies a scare is the Demons - both times this year. They took the game on and ran, took chances. A majority of this year I feel the dogs have played within themselves and can't help but feel the game plan has something to do with it. I'd like to see Eade give the players a bit of licence to take the game on.

Can agree with this.
Both times we played against the Pies this year, we were forced into our shells, and our running style game was practically non existent!
It wasnt until half way through the season (after both games against the Pies), that we clicked into our running and carrying gear.
It'll be interesting what happens in the First Qualifying Final if we play our own game.

Ghost Dog
17-08-2010, 11:05 PM
Can agree with this.
Both times we played against the Pies this year, we were forced into our shells, and our running style game was practically non existent!
It wasnt until half way through the season (after both games against the Pies), that we clicked into our running and carrying gear.
It'll be interesting what happens in the First Qualifying Final if we play our own game.

Demons have the legs and a real 'all or nothing' attitude. We overused the ball a lot in the first half of the season. Has improved a lot but still lacking that fire, based on last week's flop.

LostDoggy
17-08-2010, 11:15 PM
Demons have the legs and a real 'all or nothing' attitude. We overused the ball a lot in the first half of the season. Has improved a lot but still lacking that fire, based on last week's flop.

Why cant we employ that attitude?
We've reached the Prelim 2 years in a row, and if this so called premiership window is closing, it truly is 'all or nothing' for us imo.

EasternWest
18-08-2010, 02:25 AM

Easily Farren's best game in the RWB that day. He killed them.

azabob
18-08-2010, 08:39 AM
Easily Farren's best game in the RWB that day. He killed them.

Yep and fairly sure Wight beat Tarrent also. Quite ironic they both stood up that day buy couldn't go on with it.

cammo78
18-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Bring back Matty Robbins...

Bulldog4life
18-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Ah yes, but we'll be playing against a team that hasn't beaten a Victorian opponent in any final since 1990 ;)

Jokes aside, we'll have to find another couple of gears on what we've dished up for the majority of 2010 to date. First thing's first, we need the team to get 100% healthy (or as close to as possible).

That is the key.

becmatty
27-08-2010, 01:42 AM
Despite comments from some, saying that this game (versus Essendon) is irrelevant, that we should emulate Freo and rest players, or that we should start preparing for 2011, I think it will go a long way towards proving whether or not we are a spent force or serious challenger.

ITS FINALS TIME goddammit, and for a club who has has such little success in its history, we must attack with ferocity and belief!

Okay, so it will be a massive uphill battle without Coons and Morris, but it is still possible to prevail. History shows that teams can win with key players missing (Adelaide without Modra in 1997, Melton footy club without me in 2001 an obvious one, etc).

What we can't afford to do is to enter the finals without stability, form and confidence.

So, getting the structure right is the key - NOW. This week's team looks okay and is an opportunity for some fringe players to stake their claims (Everitt, Roughead, Jones, Addison, Moles, Eagleton, Grant). With Higgins and Wood, and hopefully a fit champion in Johnno to return, nobody can afford to be below par. Hill and Minson will also be in the mix and hopefully will put in huge performances at Willy to keep the pressure on.

Established stars down on form or playing inconsistently recently (Ward, Gilbee, Murphy, Hahn, Lake, Harbrow, Gia, Hargreave, Hall, Eade) have this match to turn it on.

A big win is the only acceptable result, and then hopefully we can approach next week with a little more optimism, confidence and purpose...

EasternWest
27-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Despite comments from some, saying that this game (versus Essendon) is irrelevant, that we should emulate Freo and rest players, or that we should start preparing for 2011, I think it will go a long way towards proving whether or not we are a spent force or serious challenger.

ITS FINALS TIME goddammit, and for a club who has has such little success in its history, we must attack with ferocity and belief!

Okay, so it will be a massive uphill battle without Coons and Morris, but it is still possible to prevail. History shows that teams can win with key players missing (Adelaide without Modra in 1997, Melton footy club without me in 2001 an obvious one, etc).

What we can't afford to do is to enter the finals without stability, form and confidence.

So, getting the structure right is the key - NOW. This week's team looks okay and is an opportunity for some fringe players to stake their claims (Everitt, Roughead, Jones, Addison, Moles, Eagleton, Grant). With Higgins and Wood, and hopefully a fit champion in Johnno to return, nobody can afford to be below par. Hill and Minson will also be in the mix and hopefully will put in huge performances at Willy to keep the pressure on.

Established stars down on form or playing inconsistently recently (Ward, Gilbee, Murphy, Hahn, Lake, Harbrow, Gia, Hargreave, Hall, Eade) have this match to turn it on.

A big win is the only acceptable result, and then hopefully we can approach next week with a little more optimism, confidence and purpose...

FFS BM get it right. It's not that hard, you've typed it and been picked up on it enough times.

Doggy
27-08-2010, 06:25 PM
FFS dfa4pm, Get over it.
It's not that hard.

comrade
27-08-2010, 06:29 PM
FFS dfa4pm, Get over it.
It's not that hard.

Nah, I'm with dfa on this. This is a Bulldogs forum and the least we can do is get the current player's names right.

Shits me to tears.

Doggy
27-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Nah, I'm with dfa on this. This is a Bulldogs forum and the least we can do is get the current player's names right.

Shits me to tears.

FFS comrade

OK then

becmatty
27-08-2010, 06:53 PM
FFS BM get it right. It's not that hard, you've typed it and been picked up on it enough times.

dfa4pm, honestly, you have too much time on your hands.

Hargreave, Hargrave, Hargreaves. We've already had this chat. Put your red marker pen away and get on with discussing the topic if it is worth your time reading the thread.

The Coon Dog
27-08-2010, 08:04 PM
dfa4pm, honestly, you have too much time on your hands.

Hargreave, Hargrave, Hargreaves. We've already had this chat. Put your red marker pen away and get on with discussing the topic if it is worth your time reading the thread.

If its worth the time to read it, surely its worth the time to get it right when you post it.

Desipura
27-08-2010, 08:17 PM

BecMatty, you sound pumped, hopefully the players are as well next week. Did a bloke named Lee Hayes play for Melton back in 2001?

LostDoggy
27-08-2010, 09:07 PM
Ok Woofers tomorrow is D Day for the Pies! Hawthorns whole purpose this year is upon it, it's time for them to hit the Pies with everything they have got. No messing around just smash their bodys everytime they go for the ball. Corkies are the Special of the day and they better bloody deliver!!!! I dont care if the Pies win by 10 goals but something tells me they might play to not get hurt and the Hawks will smell it and go for the kill!!!! A couple more showers just to keep the ground shifty is on order I reckon its about someone elses turn to feel the pain. :)

The Pie Man
27-08-2010, 09:24 PM
Ok Woofers tomorrow is D Day for the Pies! Hawthorns whole purpose this year is upon it, it's time for them to hit the Pies with everything they have got. No messing around just smash their bodys everytime they go for the ball. Corkies are the Special of the day and they better bloody deliver!!!! I dont care if the Pies win by 10 goals but something tells me they might play to not get hurt and the Hawks will smell it and go for the kill!!!! A couple more showers just to keep the ground shifty is on order I reckon its about someone elses turn to feel the pain. :)

Would love to give the Dawks some extra angry pills for tomorrow.

LostDoggy
27-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Would love to give the Dawks some extra angry pills for tomorrow.

How bout playing for a maybe home final and the possibility of one C.Browns last game in Melbourne for them :)

becmatty
27-08-2010, 10:06 PM
With all our injuries and form slump, all the expectation will be on the Pies to romp home. As we all know, a small drop in intensity and a team is able to get under their guard. Let's hope the Pies are already thinking Prelim Final and we ambush them...