PDA

View Full Version : Rotations - Have we over cooked it?

bornadog
15-08-2010, 02:31 PM
We have the highest number of rotations of any team, but have we gone too far? Geelong have one of the lowest rotations of any team, Bomber prefers to give more game time to his good players.

I noticed last night that Murphy was beating Varcoe when he was on the field, but as soon as Murphy went off for a rest, Varcoe kicked two goals in the second quarter which really sparked the Cats.

I agree Ruckman and runners have to rotate a fair bit, but why are the forwards rotating so much. Why are the backs rotating so much?

Do we over do the rotations? Do we need to adjust the numbers. Surely 150 rotataions is way too much. I don't agree on the AFL capping it.

Rocco Jones
15-08-2010, 02:42 PM
The more things change, the more things stay the same.

Constant rotations are crucial in the modern day game but they cannot be mindless/rigidly planned.

mjp
15-08-2010, 03:43 PM
I agree Ruckman and runners have to rotate a fair bit, but why are the forwards rotating so much. Why are the backs rotating so much?

High forwards and running defenders cover as much ground as mids.

Of our defenders, Morris and Lake dont come off much...if we had a quality forward who played from the goal-square I suspect he would play 90% plus as well...

Rocco Jones
15-08-2010, 03:50 PM
High forwards and running defenders cover as much ground as mids.

Of our defenders, Morris and Lake dont come off much...if we had a quality forward who played from the goal-square I suspect he would play 90% plus as well...

Agreed.

Forward pressure is so enormous these days that the primary rest of days gone by is a luxury you cannot afford.

bornadog
15-08-2010, 05:35 PM
But why is Geelong so successful as one of the lowest rotating teams?

Flamethrower
15-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Collingwood smashed them last week and they are one of the highest!

The two things (winning and rotation numbers) are mutually exclusive, ie there is no correlation between the them.

bornadog
15-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Collingwood smashed them last week and they are one of the highest!

The two things (winning and rotation numbers) are mutually exclusive, ie there is no correlation between the them.

I agree with that, all I am asking is are we over doing it. As in my example of the second quarter, Murphy comes off Varcoe kicks two. Murphy back on Varcoe unsited for the quarter. There are many more examples.

LostDoggy
16-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Roughead, in heading to the bench, actually moved into perfect position and on his own to receive a pass from a Bulldog further up the ground

But as his only intenton was to leave the ground, he did not even look at the player with the ball.

Let's get our priorities in order, please.

bornadog
16-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Roughead, in heading to the bench, actually moved into perfect position and on his own to receive a pass from a Bulldog further up the ground

But as his only intenton was to leave the ground, he did not even look at the player with the ball.

Let's get our priorities in order, please.

Yes EJ I saw that and was going to mention it. The players have become robotic.

Mofra
16-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Collingwood are the Bulldogs have the greatest number of rotations, and the lowest rate of soft-tissue injuries. That says enough for me.