PDA

View Full Version : MRP Round 20

The Adelaide Connection
16-08-2010, 02:17 AM
Would be interested to see the views of others (especially those that were at the game) but there were a fair few incidents in the game v Geelong and on the Sunday footy shows (and the coverage) they went all quiet on all of them except one (aside some almost inaudible ooh and hmm sounds).

The first of the main ones I think should be looked at (and fear won't be) was the off the ball high hit on Griffen that took his head and landed him on his back (just in camera view). They didn't even mention it and seemed to pretend it didn't actually happen.

The second was the 4 or five punches that Chapman threw into Picken's chest, once again not one person suggested they should/would look at it. There were just "hmmm" sounds in the coverage and a few laughed about it on the sunday shows without making comment. I reckon Baker would have copped a game per punch.

The third was a backhander I seem to recall that Liam copped in the face. If anyone can remember who or exactly what happened jump in, I will look at it tomorrow night and fill in the blanks otherwise. Once again, really obvious but no mention.

Lastly, there was Liam's high hit. This is the one they did mention and some have gone as far as saying he is in line for three or four weeks.

Does anyone else get the feeling, and I have seen this in other games, that they selectively comment on incidents and the ones involving bigger names seem to be a bit "hush hush"?

bornadog
16-08-2010, 10:08 AM
I hate the guys on those footy shows, they are selective and very biased.

Liam may be lucky as his hand was not clenched and could argue it was a high tackle.

As for Chappy, Geelong are worried:

From the Age

WHILE securing the signatures of Gary Ablett and Mark Thompson remains a major focus, Geelong's immediate concern today may come from the match review panel.

Paul Chapman's repeated upper-body punches on Liam Picken during Saturday night's 101-point crunching of the Western Bulldogs will be another test case for the panel, particularly in lieu of the fall-out from the hefty suspension handed out to St Kilda's Steve Baker for his niggling tactics on Steve Johnson.

Former Geelong captain Tom Harley said Chapman was likely to face scrutiny.

''They are clear punches,'' he said yesterday, ''but it seems to be there is an unwritten law that you can always punch between the belly button and the neck in that sort of chest region.

''If you get it in the solar plexus and the player hunches down you'll get done, and obviously above the chin you'll get done for striking.

''That's going to be an interesting one for the AFL to look at.''

If Chapman is suspended, the Cats will still have plenty of talent to recall for Friday night's clash against Carlton at Etihad Stadium.

Skipper Cameron Ling, Joel Corey, Harry Taylor and Tom Lonergan are all likely to return from injury.

G-Mo77
16-08-2010, 10:46 AM
I think Picken will get rubbed out for 1 or 2.

I really can't remember the ones Geelong did. I did see Picken go down at one stage that may have been the backhander. I was more upset about not getting a free as the umpire was standing in the right spot to see what happened.

Mantis
16-08-2010, 10:58 AM
Is the first one when Ottens flattened him (Griffen) when Wojo burst thru the middle to deliver to Stokes? If so I thought that one was ok, just a good hard block.

Chapman should go, you can't throw full blown punches. He should get 3 to 4 weeks. I was extremely disappointed that none of Picko's team-mates came over the remonstrated when this was occuring, it was a poor look.

I too think Picko will get 1 or 2 for his high hit on Selwood.

bornadog
16-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Is the first one when Ottens flattened him (Griffen) when Wojo burst thru the middle to deliver to Stokes? If so I thought that one was ok, just a good hard block.

Chapman should go, you can't throw full blown punches. He should get 3 to 4 weeks. I was extremely disappointed that none of Picko's team-mates came over the remonstrated when this was occuring, it was a poor look.

I too think Picko will get 1 or 2 for his high hit on Selwood.

You look at Pickens arm and he has an open hand, to be just a high tackle. there is no punching just a swing to grab Sellwood.

Mantis
16-08-2010, 12:02 PM
You look at Pickens arm and he has an open hand, to be just a high tackle. there is no punching just a swing to grab Sellwood.

It was a swing that hit him high.

I think he will go (I hope like hell that he doesn't)

bornadog
16-08-2010, 12:04 PM
It was a swing that hit him high.

I think he will go (I hope like hell that he doesn't)

Around the neck, not the face or head.

The Adelaide Connection
16-08-2010, 12:09 PM
I hate the guys on those footy shows, they are selective and very biased.

Thanks for the article, good to see that it has been acknowledged somewhere. I totally agree on the bias/selective comments point but the bigger issue is that it also happens from th commentators/networks during the game. When they highlight a certain incident and show 19 angles and say "ooh he is trouble for that" of course the MRP will look at it.

There was a Kosi bump on Williams early in the year that looked high and he ran past the ball to hit him and the commentary didn't say a thing and it wasn't even looked at. Same as the spear tackle and kick in the face he did in the NAB final. If they looked at it and cleared him fair enough, but to not even look at it?

I bet the same happens with he head high contact on Picken. Commentary didn't mention it so the old Latin "sweepus underum carpetae".

Ps I clearly don't know Latin :)

Murphy'sLore
16-08-2010, 12:48 PM
I bet the same happens with he head high contact on Picken. Commentary didn't mention it so the old Latin "sweepus underum carpetae".

Ps I clearly don't know Latin :)

Occultus sub vestis?

Or something. :)

ReLoad
16-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Picken will not be cited, here's why:

1. Its an open hand.
2. Force is Minimal (below the impact that constitutes striking)
3. the ball is within 1 meter and Selwood was in possession .04 seconds before he was contacted.
4. initial contact was to the upper arm, and selwood doing his CONTINUAL raising of the elbows & dropping motion, contributed to the contact in forcing the shoulder blade to deflect Pickens arm.
5. Selwood contributed to the head high contact by INTENTIONALLY buckling at the Knees, which he is a SERIAL offender for and hence why he gets more free kicks than any player in the last 3 years for head high contact.

In short, Picken will get off if we at the law firm of "Woof, Woof and Woofer" have anything to do with it.

mighty_west
16-08-2010, 01:59 PM
Did anyone else see Chappy's round house swing on Picken early on the first? lucky he missed, Picken would have landed in the top deck of Etihad, do players go for attempting to strike these days?

Unfortunatly i also think Picken is in trouble, it looked a little clumsy, reckless.

bornadog
16-08-2010, 02:17 PM
Did anyone else see Chappy's round house swing on Picken early on the first? lucky he missed, Picken would have landed in the top deck of Etihad, do players go for attempting to strike these days?

Unfortunatly i also think Picken is in trouble, it looked a little clumsy, reckless.

Ask Cyril Rioli about attempting to strike.

The Adelaide Connection
16-08-2010, 02:18 PM
Occultus sub vestis?

Or something. :)

Ha ha nice. I still think "sweepus underum carpetae" has a nicer ring to it though :)

The Adelaide Connection
16-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Picken will not be cited, here's why:

1. Its an open hand.
2. Force is Minimal (below the impact that constitutes striking)
3. the ball is within 1 meter and Selwood was in possession .04 seconds before he was contacted.
4. initial contact was to the upper arm, and selwood doing his CONTINUAL raising of the elbows & dropping motion, contributed to the contact in forcing the shoulder blade to deflect Pickens arm.
5. Selwood contributed to the head high contact by INTENTIONALLY buckling at the Knees, which he is a SERIAL offender for and hence why he gets more free kicks than any player in the last 3 years for head high contact.

In short, Picken will get off if we at the law firm of "Woof, Woof and Woofer" have anything to do with it.

Your post has a disgusting amount of common sense and backs up your statements way too logically.

You will never get a job on the MRP if you keep throwing out posts like this ;)

mighty_west
16-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Ask Cyril Rioli about attempting to strike.

Aaah off course, i think the Pussies have every right to be sweating on Chappy in that case, the attempted round house, the back hander that connected, and the chest punches, lucky for Chappy that Picken is just one hard ass nut, it was as though he was loving every bit of it and didn't goto ground, but you could see there was some force behind them.

Picken Knows
16-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Chapman - 93.75 points after discount
Picken - 93.75 points after discount
Stevens (WCE) - 93.75 points after discount

No other charges

mighty_west
16-08-2010, 05:47 PM

No other charges

Take the money and RUN!

Doc26
16-08-2010, 05:48 PM

No other charges

Thanks, been waiting for the MRP findings and pretty happy with the outcome.

G-Mo77
16-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Woo Hoo!

Suddenly I'm feeling a lot better.

Mantis
16-08-2010, 06:07 PM
There was a strong feeling around the club that Picko would go so they would be very happy with this decision.

Greystache
16-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Happy with that result.

Even happier that Baker the little prick will feel even more victimized!!:D

chef
16-08-2010, 06:15 PM
Excellent news:)

LostDoggy
16-08-2010, 06:17 PM
Liam Picken was charged with a level two striking offence against Joel Selwood in the second quarter of the match.

With an early guilty plea Picken can also accept a reprimand and 93.75 carry over points.

The incident was deemed to be reckless conduct (two points), low impact (one point) and high contact (two points) accumulating 125 demerit points and a one match suspension.

Both Chapman and Picken’s clean rap sheet means an early guilty plea will see their offences reduced by 25 per cent and will both available for selection this weekend.

http://thefinalsiren.com/2010/08/16/chapman-and-picken-get-off-with-reprimand/

bornadog
16-08-2010, 06:18 PM
No other charges

that is absolute crap.

The Pie Man
16-08-2010, 06:22 PM
that is absolute crap.

My first reaction to Chapman's points was '____ they're inconsistent'

Glad Picken is available

Ghost Dog
16-08-2010, 06:48 PM
http://thefinalsiren.com/2010/08/16/chapman-and-picken-get-off-with-reprimand/

Ahhhh that's great news. Liam is frankly, one of my favourite players. I'm from Hamilton, Billy Picken's old stomping ground, where he coaches now. Will need him in finals - he's awesome.

LostDoggy
16-08-2010, 07:45 PM
I haven't actually seen the picken incident on Tv as I hit delete as soon as I got home from the game, but it sounds like a tackle that slipped up, didn't Buddy get cleared earlier in the year for a similar incident, as it was concluded it was a tackle and not a strike?

Anyway glad he is free to play.

Flamethrower
16-08-2010, 08:00 PM
I haven't actually seen the picken incident on Tv as I hit delete as soon as I got home from the game, but it sounds like a tackle that slipped up, didn't Buddy get cleared earlier in the year for a similar incident, as it was concluded it was a tackle and not a strike?

Anyway glad he is free to play.

Very similar to the Buddy Franklin strike on Tom Lonergan at the MCG. Swinging arm making contact first to the upper arm/shoulder region and then to the head.

On one hand I would love to take this charge to the tribunal, but I think we may just accept a reprimand as we can't risk a suspension for Liam. The tribunal is as big a lottery as the MRP. :rolleyes:

LostDoggy
16-08-2010, 11:38 PM
Does anyone know why Liam only played about 75% of the game seemed strange to me even with our high rotations.

The Adelaide Connection
17-08-2010, 12:02 AM
My first reaction to Chapman's points was '____ they're inconsistent'

Glad Picken is available

That comment is a little unfair, the system they use (seen below) seems to be pretty foolproof.

http://img.thepriceguide.com.au/31584.jpg

The Adelaide Connection
17-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Should Picken have appealed? Huge risk but so is having those points hanging over you with a few games till finals.

mighty_west
17-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Should Picken have appealed? Huge risk but so is having those points hanging over you with a few games till finals.

Uuum....no, roundhouse forearms can break jaws as much as a clench fist.

Doc26
17-08-2010, 09:57 PM
That comment is a little unfair, the system they use (seen below) seems to be pretty foolproof.

http://img.thepriceguide.com.au/31584.jpg

Could be Aker in his morning timeslot on MTR.