PDA

View Full Version : Are we carrying Johno?

dogman
16-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Aker has been on the today show this morning saying we are carrying Johno. That he no longer is good enough and should step down himself, as he is captain. He gave examples of his lack of chasing and tackling and labelled him as a liability to the team. Said he was a great bloke but the game has past him. Strong words or sour grapes?

Majority of calls on sen agreed with him.

I personally disagree, he has an important role to play in our team and to me is a great leader.

chef
16-08-2010, 10:07 AM
Sadly he has gone a year to long, but I can't see the club shooting Bambi this close to the end of the season.

bornadog
16-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Sadly he has gone a year to long, but I can't see the club shooting Bambi this close to the end of the season.

I agree, he looks a shadow of his former self.

LostDoggy
16-08-2010, 10:18 AM
He isn't playing the best, but I see him chasing, he just ain't fast enough.

Greystache
16-08-2010, 10:27 AM
There's truth in what he's saying, but his motivations are no doubt sour grapes. Our defensive pressure is poor and defensive pressure will play a major part in deciding who wins the flag, Jono even when fit was weak in this area, now he's struggling with his body it's even more exposed.

There's need to make an announcement, leave him out of the team with injury and just tell the media he hasn't been able to get it right and he'll be back if he can over come it.

Scorlibo
16-08-2010, 10:29 AM
I think it was against Fremantle (?) where he really dominated the first quarter playing around the fifty. He still has plenty to offer.

Mantis
16-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Johnno's great strengths (one on one marking, strong hands, big tank) are no longer strengths and he is really struggling.

I guess we don't have alot of other options to play a forward role so he will probably survive, but at the minute I can't see Johnno playing an influential role in our finals campaign.

LostDoggy
16-08-2010, 10:39 AM

Agree Chef - clubs hands seem tied till seasons end - been a great but think his time has come. Maybe a tough call needs to be made?

Might have to wash my own mouth out here but I agree with Aka

G-Mo77
16-08-2010, 10:42 AM
Before this game I really though Johnno put together 4 - 5 really good games. I think he is still important to the team and can contribute in the Finals. That being said we should not rely on him so much anymore.

Raw Toast
16-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Glad to see Aker helping us along again ;)

Johnno is unlikely to dominate a game for four quarters again this year, but he's still an important cog for the team. His delivery into the forward 50 is particularly important, he takes a quality defender and still knows where to run.

We've hopefully got 6 games to go, and if he can keep building his fitness up he'll do well - he's been an important part of our recent success (before this weekend), and I'm happy to back him in, just hope he didn't hurt himself again on Saturday night.

LostDoggy
16-08-2010, 11:18 AM
I wish Aker would just shut the hell up. :mad:

Johnno is obviously not as quick as he once was but I believe he still has a lot to offer, experience & leadership.

Mantis
16-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Glad to see Aker helping us along again ;)

Johnno is unlikely to dominate a game for four quarters again this year, but he's still an important cog for the team. His delivery into the forward 50 is particularly important, he takes a quality defender and still knows where to run.

We've hopefully got 6 games to go, and if he can keep building his fitness up he'll do well - he's been an important part of our recent success (before this weekend), and I'm happy to back him in, just hope he didn't hurt himself again on Saturday night.

Field kicking has never been a great strength of Johnno's.

His pass in-field to Murf on Saturday night took an eternity to arrive and was gleefully picked off by Selwood for a goal at a point where we needed to steady.

As far as taking a quality defender goes I would think that each of the top 3 teams have very good & even defences so it isn't like Johnno will be able to take one for the team. In his current shape I am starting to dreed how exposed Johnno could become against H.Shaw in our first final.

Mantis
16-08-2010, 11:24 AM
I wish Aker would just shut the hell up. :mad:

Johnno is obviously not as quick as he once was but I believe he still has a lot to offer, experience & leadership.

On Saturday night how did Johnno show on-field leadership?

When we were under the pump Johnno moved Everitt to defence to play as a spare man, but within 10 seconds Everitt had been moved back to the forwardline by the MC. Then in the last qtr Johnno decided head to down to defence again, but had no impact.

Grantysghost
16-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Definitely still in best 22 for mine. He is a smart player, delivers the ball well to the forwards (he and bazza seem to be in synch) and is a hard match up for the opposition.

He has definitely lost his overhead marking, and seems to lose his feet alot more these days but i think its due to his achilles injury. From personal experience they are hard to shake!

Im backing him in to come good...

Raw Toast
16-08-2010, 11:37 AM
Field kicking has never been a great strength of Johnno's.

His pass in-field to Murf on Saturday night took an eternity to arrive and was gleefully picked off by Selwood for a goal at a point where we needed to steady.

As far as taking a quality defender goes I would think that each of the top 3 teams have very good & even defences so it isn't like Johnno will be able to take one for the team. In his current shape I am starting to dreed how exposed Johnno could become against H.Shaw in our first final.

Disagree with this. When Johnson doesn't try to do too much with it, his field kicking is very good, particularly his ability to mark, turn quickly to his right and stab a pass to a leading forward. In his few matches this season he has one been one of our best at kicking the ball to Hall on the lead.

Where I agree with you is that I don't like to see him playing in the back half where he tends to try and do too much (either by trying to create with run or by foot). The strength of his field-kicking is kicking to a leading forward, and he needs to stay around the front-half of the ground.

The Heath Shaw match-up worries me as well, but if we play with some intelligence about when we go to Johnson I still think he can turn it into a win or at least a break-even contest. What's important is to go through Johnno when Shaw gives him a little space around half-forward, but to avoid him when Shaw is manning him up closely (and so deprive Shaw of the ball as well).

Of course it's a disaster if we isolate Johnno and Shaw and put the ball on his head, but we can play to Johnno's existing strengths against all three defenses (who often tend to give half-fowards a bit of space).

Mantis
16-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Disagree with this. When Johnson doesn't try to do too much with it, his field kicking is very good, particularly his ability to mark, turn quickly to his right and stab a pass to a leading forward. In his few matches this season he has one been one of our best at kicking the ball to Hall on the lead.

Where I agree with you is that I don't like to see him playing in the back half where he tends to try and do too much (either by trying to create with run or by foot). The strength of his field-kicking is kicking to a leading forward, and he needs to stay around the front-half of the ground.

The Heath Shaw match-up worries me as well, but if we play with some intelligence about when we go to Johnson I still think he can turn it into a win or at least a break-even contest. What's important is to go through Johnno when Shaw gives him a little space around half-forward, but to avoid him when Shaw is manning him up closely (and so deprive Shaw of the ball as well).

Of course it's a disaster if we isolate Johnno and Shaw and put the ball on his head, but we can play to Johnno's existing strengths against all three defenses (who often tend to give half-fowards a bit of space).

I agree with this first bit because so far Johnson has been ok in games against the poor quality teams and has spotted up Hall on a number of occassions, but has really struggled against Hawthorn & Geelong.

dogman
16-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Link
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/aker-blasts-selfish-johnson/story-e6frf9io-1225905740085

Mofra
16-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Before this game I really though Johnno put together 4 - 5 really good games.
So do I. I don't think we should stamp his papers on the back of one poor effort when he had 18-19 teammates in the same boat.

Ghost Dog
16-08-2010, 12:07 PM
I just think the coaches need to be a bit more mindful of how they play him against who, how he is rotated - position him to his strengths.

He has kicked some great goals in the past few weeks and looked pretty good except V Geelong. As noted, he was not the only one!. He lifts the players as well. Sour grapes from Aker to single him out. Had plenty of underperformers on Sat.

Raw Toast
16-08-2010, 12:34 PM
I agree with this first bit because so far Johnson has been ok in games against the poor quality teams and has spotted up Hall on a number of occassions, but has really struggled against Hawthorn & Geelong.

Hawthorn was one of his early games back and almost everyone struggled against Geelong - and even disregarding the flu which might not have effected him, the six day break after the slog of Adelaide wouldn't have helped someone who is still trying to build up fitness.

And he failed by trying to do too much (again). He simply cannot carry the team and is much better as a cog who does the small things really well rather than trying to break the game open.

The doubts about him are fair enough, but Johnno has helped us win big games before and I reckon can still do so.

ReLoad
16-08-2010, 01:23 PM
So Akermanis has said nothing up until we have a poor game? why didnt he say this over the last month when we were belting teams?

Akers timing indicates to me like a huge bowl full of sour grapes.

Thats not to say he doesn't have a point, The last few finals versus the cats Johnson had a party on Andrew Mackie, and i mean a real party, he totally smashed him as Mackie showed no respect whatsoever. But can the same be said now? Mackie had a severe case of genital warts on Saturday night as NOBODY went anywhere near him.

Johnson was and is his match up. and Johnno, (god bless you) you couldnt keep up - you sure as heck were not alone, but highlighted clearly, crisply and succinctly that you need to play a different role. (or none at all, ouch!)

So is it bad enough we have a full back running off Hall and another back flanker running off Johnson? Hall i can live with, But Johnno, no way.

So hows this: Hall leading out of the square as he has done all year, Johnno to play his foil and lead in the opposite direction to hall AFTER hall makes his split second move.
Chances are:
1.) by playing out of the square that the backman will not rebound as effectively as they are too far back.
2) They will gravititate to hall/get blocked thus freeing up Johnno (only needs to happen once or twice for BJ to kick a couple).
3) He wont get shown up for legspeed.

The negatives to this of course that Johnno is no good at crumbing and would be a liability as opposed to say (insert name of the best imaginary small forward we have here)

Yet more of my .02 Peoples Republic of West Footscray Roubles spent.

Cyberdoggie
16-08-2010, 01:24 PM
Aker has been on the today show this morning saying we are carrying Johno. That he no longer is good enough and should step down himself, as he is captain. He gave examples of his lack of chasing and tackling and labelled him as a liability to the team. Said he was a great bloke but the game has past him. Strong words or sour grapes?

Majority of calls on sen agreed with him.

I personally disagree, he has an important role to play in our team and to me is a great leader.

When has he ever chased and tackled?. That's Johnno

NoParkingOnMatchDays
16-08-2010, 01:29 PM

Unfortunately I don't think the Pies will let us play with intelligence. Our disposal has been shown to be ordinary this year with the pressure exerted by the better sides and we will probably find that we will be rushed and bombing it in. More so when the pressure goes up in the finals. It's not going to help Johnno.

Sedat
16-08-2010, 01:47 PM
A forward 50 consisting of Johnno, Hahn, Higgins and Hall isn't getting me particularly excited about our chances of curbing Collingwood's outstanding running half back line in week 1 of the finals. Hall obviously stays and Presti won't be hurting him with rebound, but I have serious concerns with the other 3 being uncerimoniously carved up. Higgins will also miss for a couple of weeks now, and I'm just not convinced he can come straight into the team for a final and not get exploited (let alone make a meaningful contribution).

But who comes in? Addison is now probably next in line on form - I don't think he's the answer. The irony of today's article (an irony completely lost on the author no doubt) is that the issue would be even worse if a certain goateed ex. player was still running around.

Raw Toast
16-08-2010, 04:20 PM
My few cents worth and then I'll shut up for awhile ;)

I was expecting Aker to go on the attack and am glad he has. I can't see how anything he says can hurt more than the loss, and I think it's likely to help the team play better. So bring on the narcissistic mouth I say!

When has he ever chased and tackled?. That's Johnno

Way to harsh Cyberdoggie - pressure skills have not been Johnno's strong point but he's really worked hard on this over the past couple of years and has at the very least made it into much less of a weakness.

Unfortunately I don't think the Pies will let us play with intelligence. Our disposal has been shown to be ordinary this year with the pressure exerted by the better sides and we will probably find that we will be rushed and bombing it in. More so when the pressure goes up in the finals. It's not going to help Johnno.

You can always play with some intelligence, particularly with how you set up and which first options you drill for etc. Johnno's not going to be great when the ball is bombed in long, but he only needs a moment to deliver the ball forward with a reliable precision to someone like Hall, and that's a skill which is even more valuable when the pressure is uppped in the finals.

Johnno's highly unlikely to come out and win a game against the big three off his own boot, but I still think he helps our structure and has a vital role to play.

A forward 50 consisting of Johnno, Hahn, Higgins and Hall isn't getting me particularly excited about our chances of curbing Collingwood's outstanding running half back line in week 1 of the finals. Hall obviously stays and Presti won't be hurting him with rebound, but I have serious concerns with the other 3 being uncerimoniously carved up. Higgins will also miss for a couple of weeks now, and I'm just not convinced he can come straight into the team for a final and not get exploited (let alone make a meaningful contribution).0

The irony of today's article (an irony completely lost on the author no doubt) is that the issue would be even worse if a certain goateed ex. player was still running around.

I can't see anyone advocating that forward line. But a forward line of Hall, Johnno, Grant, Jones, Gia and a resting onballer isn't super slow and should cause some match-up issues as well. Johnno's been better than Hahn this year and I'd pick him over Higgins as well on recent performances. So it's up to the other slow/iffy types to prove that they deserve a spot.

Btw I like your last line - Aker's pressure skills had fallen down heaps this year, as I'm sure any peer-feedback process would've told him....

LostDoggy
16-08-2010, 05:04 PM
Look guys. I love Johnno. But he should have retired last year. Trying to please someone will and does cost the club games. I don't see the problem either, Scott West got 'made' to retire and he was still getting 26-32 touches a game.
I know he deserves better but he is not the best option when selecting the team.

MrMahatma
16-08-2010, 05:42 PM
I think so, but who to replace him? Need a fwd with good f50 tackling pressure.

Ghost Dog
16-08-2010, 06:39 PM
A forward 50 consisting of Johnno, Hahn, Higgins and Hall isn't getting me particularly excited about our chances of curbing Collingwood's outstanding running half back line in week 1 of the finals. Hall obviously stays and Presti won't be hurting him with rebound, but I have serious concerns with the other 3 being uncerimoniously carved up. Higgins will also miss for a couple of weeks now, and I'm just not convinced he can come straight into the team for a final and not get exploited (let alone make a meaningful contribution).

But who comes in? Addison is now probably next in line on form - I don't think he's the answer. The irony of today's article (an irony completely lost on the author no doubt) is that the issue would be even worse if a certain goateed ex. player was still running around.

Oh agreed. Having Aker in the team would not have helped one Iota against a rampaging Geelong. Really annoyed me to see him carrying on this morning.

LostDoggy
16-08-2010, 07:07 PM
I think it was against Fremantle (?) where he really dominated the first quarter playing around the fifty. He still has plenty to offer.

Play him deep next to Hall, tell him not to roam much past the forward 50.

Mantis
16-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Play him deep next to Hall, tell him not to roam much past the forward 50.

That isn't going to work.

Johnno has lost his acceleration and his hands haven't been as good this year so I can't see him playing well in this role.

He needs to be able to run around.

AndrewP6
16-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Look guys. I love Johnno. But he should have retired last year.

Agreed.

Go_Dogs
16-08-2010, 08:07 PM
The doubts about him are fair enough, but Johnno has helped us win big games before and I reckon can still do so.

I agree with this, and I'm certainly loathe to write him off because he's such a champion player.

I also agree with your assessments of his form. I think he's been pretty handy up forward, and his field kicking - in-particular his short kicking to inside the F50 - has been a feature of his play. His decision making remains very good IMO. Hopefully he can get the execution right in a high pressure game.

I do wonder though at what point of the finals campaign his position does get re-assessed if he's playing poorly?

Remi Moses
16-08-2010, 08:13 PM
There's truth in what he's saying, but his motivations are no doubt sour grapes. Our defensive pressure is poor and defensive pressure will play a major part in deciding who wins the flag, Jono even when fit was weak in this area, now he's struggling with his body it's even more exposed.

There's need to make an announcement, leave him out of the team with injury and just tell the media he hasn't been able to get it right and he'll be back if he can over come it.

I think's it tough wanting Johnno to retire after he had a good year last season.The Achilles has crushed him I don't think his form is all that bad but obviously not as good as he was.Just hope the club don't bother responding to Akermanis,MTR's 3 listeners must hang on His pearls of wisdom

lemmon
16-08-2010, 08:22 PM
That isn't going to work.

Johnno has lost his acceleration and his hands haven't been as good this year so I can't see him playing well in this role.

He needs to be able to run around.

The high half foward role isn't working, his lack of pace means he is caught on the lead and is skills have been down, it also allows for his opponents to work off him a bit more easily knowing he cant hurt them the other way from such a high position. He hasnt lost his smarts or goal sense and I'm not sure marking over his head is completely past him so perhaps a role inside the F50 could allow him to snag a few and at least contribute on the scoreboard.

MrMahatma
16-08-2010, 09:17 PM
Come the first week of the finals - Heath Shaw or Harry O will go to him and have 35 touches and set up about 10 goals. He's a liability against the good teams.

BulldogBelle
16-08-2010, 10:33 PM
His role in the team needs to be more defined. I agree with other posters that Johnno as a stay at home forward near the goal square is his thing now. He will be more exposed the further from goal he is. Let Gia, Higgins, Ward and Grant do the job Johnno used to up the field. In reality, Grant has taken Johnnos role and is doing it well, leaving little room in the side for our aging veteran.

ratsmac
16-08-2010, 11:02 PM
It took sour grapes Aker to bring it up, but that fact that we are having this conversation about Johnno says alot. Where to play him? He could get exploited! ect ect. These are all questions that should not be asked about the captain of a hopeful premeirship team. The only upside for Johnno's defence is if he were to retire tomorrow, who would take his spot?

Flamethrower
16-08-2010, 11:39 PM
I wonder at times whether fans actually watch the game or just read the opinions in the paper and take them as gospel. While Brad Johnson was out of the team early in the season we really struggled, especially up forward coming to grips with having Barry Hall as a focal point.

It is no coincidence that since Johnno came back into the team we have found form and have been looking much better. Saturday night was an abberation - Johnno didn't play well but he was hardly Robinson Crusoe, but don't throw the baby out with the bath water FFS.

It is unlikely that Johnno will regain 100% fitness this year, but is easily still in our best 22 and if he can get his body right over summer should go again next year to prove all the haters wrong.

BulldogBelle
17-08-2010, 12:01 AM
Well, I was ridiculed on this forum when I suggested that Johnson should retire. It was The Coon Dog from memory.

The problem really lies with the Football Administration Department, (or how-so-ever they are called), they don't have half a brain between the lot of them. I'd like to know their names so that I could contact them. We look forward to this department making proactive and positive decisions. Instead they have just been making a series of dumb ones. This not only includes keeping aged players on the list but also by selecting proven dud players, selecting players who should be dropped because of poor form and non-selection of young guns from Willi. Also, by keeping those aged and dud players we missed out on recruiting players like Barlow, Stijk, Podsiadly and others.

Look at the aged players they started the year with - Akre, Johnno, Eagles, Hall. A recipe for failure. Johnno and Eagles will play a good game every now and again, but that's just not good enough. (But good enough for their supporters to be kept sucked in). At their age they have lost the majority of their skills. Hall is the only one I would keep and I would only keep him for this year. There are just so many good players in the Willi side who should have racked up many more games by now.

I'd also like to know who or what is keeping Patrick Rose out of the side. I know he has Rookie status but surely he would be many times better than Johnno. Is it Johnno keeping him out, because of his own greed or selfishness?

Johnno is not Bambi. He is a selfish player who uses the captaincy and the good will of the supporters to play on way beyond his use-by date. What is more, Johnson knows that he has lost his skills, he knows that he is injured, he knows that he doesn't deserve his place in the team.

If you think that Johnno is in our best 22 then I think you have been sucked in. If you think that Johnno will take a good opposition player then you think that opposition coaches don't do their homework and are silly enough to think that Johnno is worth it.

Reasons that will make the premiership harder to win.
1. Johnson allowed to play on beyond use-by date.

Johnno deserves nothing. The club owes him nothing. The club owes me and another 30,000 supporters a premiership. That's their first duty.

AndrewP6
17-08-2010, 12:07 AM
Well, I was ridiculed on this forum when I suggested that Johnson should retire. It was The Coon Dog from memory.

The problem really lies with the Football Administration Department, (or how-so-ever they are called), they don't have half a brain between the lot of them. I'd like to know their names so that I could contact them. We look forward to this department making proactive and positive decisions. Instead they have just been making a series of dumb ones. This not only includes keeping aged players on the list but also by selecting proven dud players, selecting players who should be dropped because of poor form and non-selection of young guns from Willi. Also, by keeping those aged and dud players we missed out on recruiting players like Barlow, Stijk, Podsiadly and others.

Look at the aged players they started the year with - Akre, Johnno, Eagles, Hall. A recipe for failure. Johnno and Eagles will play a good game every now and again, but that's just not good enough. (But good enough for their supporters to be kept sucked in). At their age they have lost the majority of their skills. Hall is the only one I would keep and I would only keep him for this year. There are just so many good players in the Willi side who should have racked up many more games by now.

I'd also like to know who or what is keeping Patrick Rose out of the side. I know he has Rookie status but surely he would be many times better than Johnno. Is it Johnno keeping him out, because of his own greed or selfishness?

Johnno is not Bambi. He is a selfish player who uses the captaincy and the good will of the supporters to play on way beyond his use-by date. What is more, Johnson knows that he has lost his skills, he knows that he is injured, he knows that he doesn't deserve his place in the team.

If you think that Johnno is in our best 22 then I think you have been sucked in. If you think that Johnno will take a good opposition player then you think that opposition coaches don't do their homework and are silly enough to think that Johnno is worth it.

Johnno deserves nothing. The club owes him nothing. The club owes me and another 30,000 supporters a premiership. That's their first duty.

You don't, by chance, work for MTR do you?

bornadog
17-08-2010, 12:10 AM

Well lucky your not the coach and part of the Dumb football department, otherwise we would not be top four, but rather bottom four.

Read this.

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=8048

Ghost Dog
17-08-2010, 01:45 AM
These are all questions that should not be asked about the captain of a hopeful premeirship team. The only upside for Johnno's defence is if he were to retire tomorrow, who would take his spot?

I have to admit, as much as I love J, this is a pretty good point. The fact that there is so much discussion speaks for itself. But who will replace him at this end of the season?
I can't see him beating Harry O or Harry Taylor or Scarlet more than 5 times out of 10.
He has, however, been playing some good footy and I think we really needed a steady captain. Anyway, look at Tom Harley, or Maxwell. Captains are often not the best players on the field.

immortalmike
17-08-2010, 02:00 AM
It is simple can someone name a forward who played better on Saturday night. Our midfield was smashed and our players could barely run. Apparently that is all the fault of Brad Johnson. He seemed to be pretty good the week before against Adelaide (and against the Roos) and he's our only lead-up forward with Murph playing down back and no Grant. But apparently one bad game (in a team that was smashed) after steadily building form and he's a liability. Alot of knee's being jerked around here.

LostDoggy
17-08-2010, 02:33 AM
I think Johnno needs to play deep. Very deep...

Mantis
17-08-2010, 08:20 AM
A relevant question to ask is if Josh Hill had put up the same numbers as Johnno did on the weekend what would our reaction be?

I would think that we would be baying for blood.

Johnno had 9 disposals, 6 marks, 0 goals, 0 goal assists & 0 tackles = 12 SC points.

In Josh's last game against Adelaide he had:

6 disposals, 3 marks, 1 goal, 0 goal assists & 5 tackles = 44 SC points.

chef
17-08-2010, 08:26 AM

Why does the club owe you anything?

LostDoggy
17-08-2010, 08:58 AM
So do I. I don't think we should stamp his papers on the back of one poor effort when he had 18-19 teammates in the same boat.

My thoughts exactly - against Freo, Johnno looked back to his best. Yes, he is slower, etc., but I can't just ping Johnno for Saturday night's effort. The guy never hangs his head or stops trying.

The Coon Dog
17-08-2010, 09:13 AM

My criticism of you has been your use of derogatory terms when describing players. Perhaps review your posts, find out who it was that criticised you & have a crack at them! It well may have been myself, though I very much doubt it.

I guess what I'm saying is you're having a crack at me, without knowing for sure whether or not it is me you should be having a crack at.

always right
17-08-2010, 09:14 AM
I think there should be a moratorium on the use of the word "Bambi" in any post relating to Brad Johnson. Anyone with me?

Ghost Dog
17-08-2010, 09:42 AM
My thoughts exactly - against Freo, Johnno looked back to his best. Yes, he is slower, etc., but I can't just ping Johnno for Saturday night's effort. The guy never hangs his head or stops trying.

Wouldn't really make sense after one game. But his tackling stats are shockingl. He really needs a big game next round. Ask yourself this. If you were an opposition coach, would you be concerned about having him in your back 50? These days, the only way I feel confident he will win a marking contest is through a free. Still, Rocket seems confident and he has been ok before last week. And who would replace him?

Curly5
17-08-2010, 10:02 AM
Until last weekend Johnno was improving by the week. Not fair to single him out when few other players were much better. No one would be more aware of his need to perform than Johnno himself. Let's see how he goes in the next couple of games before we condemn him. And of course, no one has suggested a replacement. A bit late in the year to bring in a rookie.

Aker's gall is breathtaking. Everything he is saying about Johnno applied to him and more. But did he admit it in the Herald Sun or on radio? I don't remember him volunteering to step down from the team when his body started to let him down and he wasn't making much of a contribution. He even brought up the T word: "His body is now not to be trusted by him or his teammates." Well, he'd know all about that. Ah Aker, revenge is sweet, is it not? :rolleyes:

Ghost Dog
17-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Until last weekend Johnno was improving by the week. Not fair to single him out when few other players were much better. No one would be more aware of his need to perform than Johnno himself. Let's see how he goes in the next couple of games before we condemn him. And of course, no one has suggested a replacement. A bit late in the year to bring in a rookie.

Aker's gall is breathtaking. Everything he is saying about Johnno applied to him and more. But did he admit it in the Herald Sun or on radio? I don't remember him volunteering to step down from the team when his body started to let him down and he wasn't making much of a contribution. He even brought up the T word: "His body is now not to be trusted by him or his teammates." Well, he'd know all about that. Ah Aker, revenge is sweet, is it not? :rolleyes:

I think in a way it's actually good for Brad to have Aker on his back. It will give him something to push against - drive him a bit. Go Dogs!

Greystache
17-08-2010, 10:49 AM

When did I log onto the comments section of the Herald-Sun? I must have clicked the wrong link.

Mofra
17-08-2010, 10:55 AM
A relevant question to ask is if Josh Hill had put up the same numbers as Johnno did on the weekend what would our reaction be?
After a month of solid football? It would be practically expected from Josh.

The disappointment is going from 5 tackles to 0 tackles, but I'm willing to give Johnno a chance to turn it around.

Mantis
17-08-2010, 11:12 AM

Against Freo Johnno was very poor in the first half, did better in the 2nd half, but it's always a little easier when your 10+ goals in front.

Against North he looked good, but he was playing on a kid who was playing just his 2nd game.

LostDoggy
17-08-2010, 12:15 PM
For me it's pretty simple..YOU NEVER WRITE OFF A CHAMPION....we have all seen it hundreds of times, Warney was written off at least twice, Johnno will know that his spot is under pressure and if he is still up to it we will see how he responds in the next two weeks!!

Remi Moses
17-08-2010, 03:09 PM
Way to harsh^^ agree we went in with probably one to many older players ,but subscribing to your aged theory Ben Hudson would be out of the side. The club made the tough call on West so I'd say they wouldn't be afraid to retire Johnson.

DOG GOD
17-08-2010, 03:23 PM
Johnno will know that his spot is under pressure and if he is still up to it we will see how he responds in the next two weeks!!

He's not under pressure for his spot. If he can he will play. No way will the MC drop him unless he's crippled.

Chicago1
17-08-2010, 04:38 PM
I kind of like this reply that I found in the Comments section of that person's article in the H/S: ;)

Jim of Chicago USA Posted at 4:04 AM Today

The writer is like a recently divorced spouse who was caught cheating, sent packing and now wants to get revenge. (Notice I didn't use "wife" or "husband" as I'm not sure which one he'd be more similar to, though his actions do hint...) Scapegoats have been used throughout history by small minded, bigoted people with a set agenda. This is no different. Controversy attracts interest and sells papers. That's the business that the writer is in now, full time, well, at least for the rest of this season. The writer may have some valid points, but the bitterness and guttersnipery(I think I just made that word up!) overshadows any opinion he might have, in my "humble" opinion.(A word he's not familiar with.) I place his opinion on the same plane as FOX NEWS here.

Comment 47 of 224

I've been told that one of my comments about "him" made it into the newspaper itself a few weeks ago. I might ask to be put on the H/S staff for the rest of the season.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-08-2010, 07:20 PM

I would think that we would be baying for blood.

Johnno had 9 disposals, 6 marks, 0 goals, 0 goal assists & 0 tackles = 12 SC points.

In Josh's last game against Adelaide he had:

6 disposals, 3 marks, 1 goal, 0 goal assists & 5 tackles = 44 SC points.

My point exactly.

Hahn, Johnson, Higgins and Ward have been rubbish for most of the season. For whatever reason, many posters keep finding excuses for them and quite clearly - so too do the MC.

Hill has been far from good this year, but he's been no worse than the players mentioned above. Johnson is probably an exception with a couple of OK games - but it's pretty obvious he's struggling to make an impact in competitive games.

Despite this, the majority of WBD supporters at games and on forums are saying Hill's a dud and should be traded. Fact is, Josh is a scapegoat for supporters and the MC. Everitt ditto.

A lot of the same people said Grant would never make it.

AndrewP6
17-08-2010, 07:22 PM
I've been told that one of my comments about "him" made it into the newspaper itself a few weeks ago. I might ask to be put on the H/S staff for the rest of the season.

I'm sure I remember reading it...

Doc26
17-08-2010, 09:20 PM
My point exactly.

Hahn, Johnson, Higgins and Ward have been rubbish for most of the season. For whatever reason, many posters keep finding excuses for them and quite clearly - so too do the MC.

Hill has been far from good this year, but he's been no worse than the players mentioned above. Johnson is probably an exception with a couple of OK games - but it's pretty obvious he's struggling to make an impact in competitive games.

Despite this, the majority of WBD supporters at games and on forums are saying Hill's a dud and should be traded. Fact is, Josh is a scapegoat for supporters and the MC. Everitt ditto.

A lot of the same people said Grant would never make it.

I do agree TBB although to be fair to at least 3 of them it has been injury related as I know you realise. I place more blame on the MC for selecting them when they are so clearly underdone / injured.

A call was eventually made on Mitch although ultimately was conveyed as being injury related. Either way he was struggling to reach a contest. Johnson and Higgins have not offered near enough offensively to compensate for their below standard defensive efforts. Both have had their seasons cruelled by injury which is unfortunate but the MC have been close to negligent in trying to get away with playing them through it and not making a stronger stance on injured players unable to cover the effects of their ailments. Unfortunately for them and us there have been no stand out consistent replacements to persuade the MC's hand although I saw a place for Everitt. Josh Hill on ther otherhand has not been able to cement a position not through injury but falling short in contested ball and not working hard enough 'the other way'. Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be in his make up and fear that he may not make it at senior AFL level with the significance of forward pressure. I hope to eat these words assuming he stays in Bulldog colours.

Rocco Jones
17-08-2010, 10:34 PM
The modern game is so cruel to forwards who struggle with applying defensive pressure. Long gone are the days where you can play a forward who struggles with mobility because they have that extra bit of class to get them through. If you are not able to offer defensive pressure you really need to offer a lot offensively. Johnno sadly is doing neither and the gun sides really punish that type.

Scariest of all, Johnno looks like a delicious base for the likes of Shaw, Maxwell and O'Brien.

Mantis
18-08-2010, 09:29 AM
I came across some stats on Johnno for rounds 14 to 19:

averaged:
19 disposals per game
4 Inside 50's
3 score assists
80% disposal efficiency - best for a forward in competition.

Ranked (in comp):
1st for goal assists
4th total marks
7th marks on the lead

Those numbers read pretty well and even though he was poor against Geelong he certainly wasn't alone.

Mofra
18-08-2010, 10:28 AM
^^^ Interesting Mantis. There was a fair bit of defence for his form during these weeks for the way he creates space for other forwards - if he can replicate that in the finals we will be a much stronger side to deal with.

Sedat
18-08-2010, 11:09 AM
Rightly or wrongly, human nature is to be more undetstanding towards those that are playing impeded. To the best of my knowledge Hill is not carrying any injury whereas the others all have. Your point is otherwise spot on, and at the end of the day, players that are not contributing are not going to help us in September whether they are carrying an injury or not.

Doc26
18-08-2010, 11:36 AM

averaged:
19 disposals per game
4 Inside 50's
3 score assists

Ranked (in comp):
1st for goal assists
4th total marks
7th marks on the lead

Those numbers read pretty well and even though he was poor against Geelong he certainly wasn't alone.

Thanks Mantis.

At face value these offensive stats would not indicate a player struggling to make a postive impact in their role as a small forward. With that said I'm not quite sure how we should interpret them.

In the modern game and in particular in the role of a small forward the offensive stats also need to be overlaid against their defensive markers. Maybe Johnno is getting left one out more often as his man / the opposition play off him in the knowledge that there is minimal defensive pressure. There was also some ordinary opposition performance during those weeks eg Carlton, Fremantle, North which may result in some skewing of the stats.

Mantis
18-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Thanks Mantis.

At face value these offensive stats would not indicate a player struggling to make a postive impact in their role as a small forward. With that said I'm not quite sure how we should interpret them.

In the modern game and in particular in the role of a small forward the offensive stats also need to be overlaid against their defensive markers. Maybe Johnno is getting left one out more often as his man / the opposition play off him in the knowledge that there is minimal defensive pressure. There was also some ordinary opposition performance during those weeks eg Carlton, Fremantle, North which may result in some skewing of the stats.

The worrying thing would be that thus far Johnno hasn't been able to have a positive influence in games against the better teams.

He was poor against Hawthorn and Geelong, and struggled in the first half against Freo. Hopefully this week we see an improved performance from Brad against another finals team, but the true test will be how he goes against the Pies who have one of the best rebounding defences in the game.

Doc26
18-08-2010, 03:03 PM

averaged:
19 disposals per game
4 Inside 50's
3 score assists

Ranked (in comp):
1st for goal assists
4th total marks
7th marks on the lead

Brad Johnson still a star: Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade
Michael Horan From: Herald Sun August 18, 2010 12:55PM

"The facts are, in that six-week period from Round 14 to Round 19 Brad was No.1 in the competition for score assists. He was No.4 in the competition for the number of marks, seventh for marks on the lead.

"He's averaging 19 disposals, eight marks, four inside-50s, three goal assists a game. He has 80 per cent efficiency with his disposals - the third best forward in the competition.

"They're enormous stats and I don't think the media as well hasn't seen how well Brad Johnson has been playing and all those stats back up what we know - that he's been in very good form.

"There's no doubt our form turnaround has been largely due to him.''

Just coincidence or are things getting a little spooky here on Woof. The question needs to be asked has Mantis and Rodney ever been seen in the same room together ? Who's feeding who ? ;)

EasternWest
18-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Just coincidence or are things getting a little spooky here on Woof. The question needs to be asked has Mantis and Rodney ever been seen in the same room together ? Who's feeding who ? ;)

Of course they have. Every morning when Mrs Eade gets up from her exile to bring them breakfast in bed :p.

LostDoggy
18-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Johno is the heart and soul of this team look at the turn around since he started playing this season (except the geelong). One bad game, one idiots comment and hes the problem?
Just watch the game saturday night. Johno will show everyone he is not done yet!!!

C'MON DOGS LETS MAKE A STAND AND WIN WHAT WE DESERVE LETS GET THE MONKEY OFF OUR BACK!!!!!!!!!!

Nuggety Back Pocket
18-08-2010, 05:44 PM

averaged:
19 disposals per game
4 Inside 50's
3 score assists

Ranked (in comp):
1st for goal assists
4th total marks
7th marks on the lead

These stats are misleading and unfortunately do not tell the full story like hard ball gets and ability to put defensive pressure on opposition backlines. Collingwood in recent games
always plays Heath Shaw on Johnno and he simply runs off him with continuous regularity. To be fair, injuries have crucified Johnno's mobility and he is only a shadow of his former self.

Remi Moses
18-08-2010, 05:56 PM
Funny thing is Aker is on the radio version of Fox News!I think Motor Mouth's been sitting on this article waiting for a loss.Johnson's input has gone down we all know that,let's face it he didn't exactly fly solo last weekend,we need to improve our tackling numbers no big finals will be won!
Funny how Potty Mouth didn't't put himself in the Downlow top ten a few weeks back,what an obnoxious little twerp

Mantis
18-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Collingwood in recent games always plays Heath Shaw on Johnno and he simply runs off him with continuous regularity. To be fair, injuries have crucified Johnno's mobility and he is only a shadow of his former self.

Back in rd22 last year Johnno gave Heath Shaw a touch up. In rd 1 this year Shaw gave an underdone Johnson a bath.

Gia played on Shaw in rd 11 and did well so it will be interesting to see what match up eventuates.

DOG GOD
18-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Back in rd22 last year Johnno gave Heath Shaw a touch up. In rd 1 this year Shaw gave an underdone Johnson a bath.

Gia played on Shaw in rd 11 and did well so it will be interesting to see what match up eventuates.

Whoever plays on Shaw has to make him absolutely accountable, and he needs to be tagged heavily. Same goes for Enright, Fisher / Gilbert. For some reason we seem to fail to do this on a regular basis.

Sedat
18-08-2010, 07:04 PM
Whoever plays on Shaw has to make him absolutely accountable, and he needs to be tagged heavily. Same goes for Enright, Fisher / Gilbert. For some reason we seem to fail to do this on a regular basis.
I'd also like to see us mix up our tactics on any given day and also seek to spot up the direct opponents of these attacking defenders. The likes of Shaw, Enright and Gilbert all play loose, and provided our delivery into forward 50 is good and our midfield and stoppage pressure is strong, we can exploit them on the scoreboard. We did this in the 08 PF when Higgins had 5 shots on goal in the first qtr on a loose Milburn (pity he kicked 1.4). Also in the 09 PF, Hahn got off the chain and hurt Goddard in the 2nd qtr. By all means we should keep them honest when they have the ball but we also have to seek to score as well. That's where Hall and Johnno will be critical in creating dangerous space in the forward 50 for our other forwards (usually Gia) to break into and provide a free target for our on-coming mids. If you go ultra-defensive on Shaw/Enright/Gilbert, then Collingwood will simply release Harry O, Geelong will do likewise with any one of Mackie/Scarlett/Milburn and the Saints will similarly free up Fisher/Goddard.

anfo27
18-08-2010, 07:08 PM
The problem I have with johnno is when we are not playing well & the sevice to him isn't great he becomes a liabilty. If a pass gives his opponent a chance to make a contest then Brad wil go to ground too easily or get spoiled and once the ball hits the ground from the contest Johnno has little to no impact at all and if anything is a liabilty. But as Mantis stats indicate when we were playing well between rounds 14-19 and service was very good Johnno has shown he can still have a positive impact on the game.
So i'm worried that with the pies superior pressure that Johnno will have little impact and could be a liabilty. But if we are on and can match their intensity and protect the ball carrier then Johnno will be very dangerous.

Ghost Dog
18-08-2010, 08:55 PM
Remember one coach saying ( 2010 ) , during long runs at training he's always near front of the pack. Amazing given the amount of footy that body has played. He is a bit slow in the sprint. but Ling for example or Leon Davis still play roles and would be no faster. The OP is ' Are we carrying Johnno'. Seems most people feel he can hold his own, am I right? Defensive work seems to be most people's bone of contention - some pretty telling stats there.

LostDoggy
19-08-2010, 05:51 AM
Funny thing is Aker is on the radio version of Fox News!I think Motor Mouth's been sitting on this article waiting for a loss.Johnson's input has gone down we all know that,let's face it he didn't exactly fly solo last weekend,we need to improve our tackling numbers no big finals will be won!
Funny how Potty Mouth didn't't put himself in the Downlow top ten a few weeks back,what an obnoxious little twerp

I agree. Reckon this article was written weeks ago just waiting for a poor performance :D

LostDoggy
20-08-2010, 01:18 AM
Johnno to improve this week after seeing the magic hands of Pat Allen.Short odds to be B.O.G this week