PDA

View Full Version : Bock a crow no more

DOG GOD
17-08-2010, 12:54 PM
ADELAIDE defender Nathan Bock has played his last game for the club after advising it he will be joining Gold Coast Suns in 2011.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/100537/default.aspx

One down, i'm sure a few more to come...the ball has started rolling.

Go_Dogs
17-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Yep.

Was interesting listening to Phil Harper on the way home from work this evening talking about it all. Apparently they offered Bock as much as they could afford, so that they would've been paying 100% of their TPP limit.

GC's offer is reported to have been some $150-175K more per year.

As Harper explained, the Crows situation is:

Out: Goodwin, Burton, Edwards and McLeod(for arguments sake) total of say $1.8M.

About $500K is veterans list, so doesn't come off the TPP. Leaves $1.3M.

Then they've had about 15 re-signings. Not often a re-signing drops in value, normally higher, the amount depending obviously on a number of factors. Total say $500K, leaves about $800K.

Then need the cash to fund the new players who come onto the list, and they want to get 4 players who on average may be about $75K each, depending on how many play games etc, so another $300K, leaves about $500K or so (and this is all very rough figures mind you). Pretty interesting.

Also made the comment that GC will have about 30 kids total of about $3M and then they'll have 10 or so stars they'll be able to pay an average of $600K per season. Yikes!

Hopefully Ablett chews a fair chunk of that!

mighty_west
17-08-2010, 07:24 PM
Hopefully Ablett chews a fair chunk of that!

I hope if GC get one of ours, they also get one from St Kilda & Collingwood as well with the Cats losing Ablett.

GVGjr
17-08-2010, 07:31 PM
He's a great pick-up for the new GC side. Getting someone who can play a key defensive position will be invaluable for them

DOG GOD
17-08-2010, 07:33 PM
Armitige, Cloke and Medhurst are on the shopping list.

mighty_west
17-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Armitige, Cloke and Medhurst are on the shopping list.

Medhurst may not bother the Pies too much, Cloke on the other hand, Armitige is a QLD lad, that makes sense.

The Adelaide Connection
17-08-2010, 08:25 PM
I found the timing of the Bock decision interesting, I thought they weren't allowed to announce anything to after the season?

I have been in a bit of a media black hole today, was there a reason he/they decided to announce it now and not at the end of the year? I also heard that he has played his last game, injury driven or in light of the revelation?

GVGjr
17-08-2010, 08:36 PM
I found the timing of the Bock decision interesting, I thought they weren't allowed to announce anything to after the season?

I have been in a bit of a media black hole today, was there a reason he/they decided to announce it now and not at the end of the year? I also heard that he has played his last game, injury driven or in light of the revelation?

The club asked him if the rumors were correct and he and his manager confirmed that the deal was as good as done. Some minor points still to be sorted out. With that in mind the club said that they didn't want to play him and whilst that would mean he would miss some match payments and possibly some incentives on where he would finish in the best and fairest he agreed with them.

Desipura
18-08-2010, 09:39 AM
Would Adelaide have taken this stance if they were in the top 4? I think the answer is no as Bock would be in their best team at Centre Half Back.

The Pie Man
18-08-2010, 10:20 AM
Medhurst may not bother the Pies too much, Cloke on the other hand, Armitige is a QLD lad, that makes sense.

I'm going to risk some WOOF backlash here ;)

Any chance we'd go after Medhurst?

DOG GOD
18-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Would Adelaide have taken this stance if they were in the top 4? I think the answer is no as Bock would be in their best team at Centre Half Back.

I think Bock came out now due to the Crows position that they couldnt make the finals. I would very doubt it that he wouldve spoken freely if they had been entrenched in the 8.

soupman
18-08-2010, 11:16 AM

Not sure he's the type of small forward we need. He seems to be of the small marking forward type, and not the genuinely quick crumbing forward we need.

Desipura
18-08-2010, 12:26 PM

Possibly, I would much prefer we make a play for an Alwyn Davey or even a Ricky Dyson.

Sockeye Salmon
18-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Possibly, I would much prefer we make a play for an Alwyn Davey or even a Ricky Dyson.

Forget Dyson, what about Leroy Jetta

Desipura
18-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Forget Dyson, what about Leroy Jetta
Jetta would be nice. I am just looking at players we may realistically be able to obtain.
If Harbrow goes as expected, we will have a strong hand come trade time.

The Coon Dog
18-08-2010, 12:58 PM

I'm a bit lost, how do you mean?

mighty_west
18-08-2010, 01:04 PM
Jetta would be nice. I am just looking at players we may realistically be able to obtain.

How about one of the Carlton small forwards? they have a few.

Desipura
18-08-2010, 01:08 PM
I'm a bit lost, how do you mean?
In terms of extra draft picks.

The Coon Dog
18-08-2010, 01:09 PM
In terms of extra draft picks.

But we can't use them straight away if we wanted to receive some form of half decent compensation.

A club may elect to use its compensation selection(s) at its choice at any of the next five national drafts and its compensation pick in a round would come immediately after its pick in that year’s draft, with the exception of any Round One picks at the 2010 and 2011 Drafts, which can only be utilised at the end of Round One.

Desipura
18-08-2010, 01:24 PM
But we can't use them straight away if we wanted to receive some form of half decent compensation.

A club may elect to use its compensation selection(s) at its choice at any of the next five national drafts and its compensation pick in a round would come immediately after its pick in that year’s draft, with the exception of any Round One picks at the 2010 and 2011 Drafts, which can only be utilised at the end of Round One.

I guess it depends on whether other clubs would want to use our pick in this years draft and if they offered us the right player.
If a club is looking at getting as many picks as they can this year, they may look to trade one of their players in exchange. If the right deal did not come our way, naturally we would keep those picks.

Sockeye Salmon
18-08-2010, 02:21 PM

Jetta is playing for Bendigo, even though Davey is out.

LostDoggy
18-08-2010, 04:50 PM

Hence why one would think that they would listen to offers for him.

Disclaimer: I am not saying we should make an offer for him, just defending Desipura's comments about chasing someone realistically.

azabob
18-08-2010, 04:53 PM

Hence why one would think that they would listen to offers for him.

Disclaimer: I am not saying we should make an offer for him, just defending Desipura's comments about chasing someone realistically.

SS was actually suggesting we look at Jeta not Desipura.

LostDoggy
18-08-2010, 05:14 PM
If we're looking for some speed in the forward half I hear Andrew Lovett is on the market at bargain basement prices, although his availability to play on weekends may be in question...

chef
18-08-2010, 05:29 PM

Matt Campbell from North would be worth looking at too and he wouldn't cost much.

Or draft Sam Reid's little brother(not that a know that he's any good but he kicked a fair few goals for Echuca Seniors until he got injured playing for NSW/ACT under 18's)

Ben Reid (Bendigo Pioneers, Vic)Height: 181cm, Weight: 67kg, DOB:
Smart forward with good anticipation, clean hands at ground level and overhead. Uses ball well and impressed for NSW/ACT in the Under-18 Championships this year. Brother Sam plays for the Western Bulldogs.

More here
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/100621/default.aspx

mjp
18-08-2010, 05:29 PM
If we're looking for some speed in the forward half I hear Andrew Lovett is on the market at bargain basement prices, although his availability to play on weekends may be in question...

If I was commenting on trades and 2011 yet, I would suggest that we seriously look at Andrew Krakouer.

Go_Dogs
18-08-2010, 06:55 PM
If I was commenting on trades and 2011 yet, I would suggest that we seriously look at Andrew Krakouer.

Interesting call.

On the Jetta/Davey issue, I obviously haven't seen much of the Bombers lately, because I was under the impression Jetta was having a pretty good year. If he was available I think we could do worse than sound him out.

Ghost Dog
18-08-2010, 07:47 PM

LOL lock up your daughters!

GVGjr
18-08-2010, 07:53 PM

Of course not but I think it was the right decision for both parties.

The Adelaide Connection
18-08-2010, 09:18 PM
Back to the Bock decision, it really irritates me that it all had to go down this week, directly before they play Collingwood. I would have like them to field their best team and play like they did against us and Geelong and make them really feel like they have been in a game.

Then the week after they would front up sore to a desperate Hawks (who have dropped the Freo game in the meantime and need a win to be in the finals) and have the stuffing beat out of them.They draw and both teams are left sore, hollow and devoid of momentum.

Lastly they would front up to us on the back of two very tough weeks where everything hasn't gone their way. Hell, karma should get them for the farcicle run at the MCG leading into the finals. They would lose and then have to front the Hawks again who proceed to open more cans of whoop ass on them.

In the aftermath Buckley and Kennett team up and fight Malthouse and Clarkson and, in the following week, Buddy (whilst playing some baseball midweek) isn't in very good form and strikes out (even though the umpire loses count and gives him an extra strike).

Dogs win the flag. Of course.

Desipura
19-08-2010, 08:43 AM
Of course not but I think it was the right decision for both parties.
I agree as you would not want Bock to do a knee now as the Suns would not touch him and Adelaide would not get any compensation (or very little) if they traded him to another club other than the Suns.

LostDoggy
19-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Back to the Bock decision, it really irritates me that it all had to go down this week, directly before they play Collingwood. I would have like them to field their best team and play like they did against us and Geelong and make them really feel like they have been in a game.

Then the week after they would front up sore to a desperate Hawks (who have dropped the Freo game in the meantime and need a win to be in the finals) and have the stuffing beat out of them.They draw and both teams are left sore, hollow and devoid of momentum.

Lastly they would front up to us on the back of two very tough weeks where everything hasn't gone their way. Hell, karma should get them for the farcicle run at the MCG leading into the finals. They would lose and then have to front the Hawks again who proceed to open more cans of whoop ass on them.

In the aftermath Buckley and Kennett team up and fight Malthouse and Clarkson and, in the following week, Buddy (whilst playing some baseball midweek) isn't in very good form and strikes out (even though the umpire loses count and gives him an extra strike).

Dogs win the flag. Of course.

:) Great stuff :D

Topdog
19-08-2010, 04:43 PM
Just on compensation I heard AD suggest that Adelaide may not be entitled to any compo. How can that be the case?

Throughandthrough
19-08-2010, 04:46 PM
Just on compensation I heard AD suggest that Adelaide may not be entitled to any compo. How can that be the case?

Sounds fair to me.

and lol at Burton bagging Bock for putting himself before the team.

Now that's irony..

Go_Dogs
19-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Sounds fair to me.

and lol at Burton bagging Bock for putting himself before the team.

Now that's irony..

Haha yep. Evens Porps was struggling to hold back the laughter about that one when speaking on radio that night. Ahh Birdman...one character footy won't miss.

Topdog
20-08-2010, 11:42 AM
Wait how is that fair?

comrade
20-08-2010, 11:47 AM
Wait how is that fair?

I think it might have something to do with T&T disliking Adelaide.

KT31
20-08-2010, 12:00 PM

May already be with Gold Coast.