PDA

View Full Version : Wallace Questions Darcy's Bravery

The Coon Dog
18-08-2010, 09:06 AM
Staff Writer - Herald Sun - 18 August

THE sparring from Terry Wallace is over.

He delivered the knockout blow to his former Western Bulldog ruckman Luke Darcy when he questioned his on-field bravery.

Darcy threw the first punch in what has developed into a verbal feud between the former player and coach.

In a stinging attack last month, Darcy said Wallace would not accept player feedback and focused too much on individual awards during his six-year tenure at Whitten Oval.

Article in full... (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/terry-wallace-lands-a-stinger/story-e6frf9jf-1225906536617)

Ozza
18-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Darce's comments at the testimonial sounded like they were pretty unnecessary.

Desipura
18-08-2010, 10:34 AM
pretty childish form both parties.

Sedat
18-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Darce has had a very bad couple of weeks IMO. His initial whack against Teflon was unnecessary, factually impossible to verify (frankly it was an extremely long stretch to suggest in the first place), was made in defence of Leading Teams which Darce has a conflict of interest in, and gave no credit to a first year coach who dragged our club from 15th to a kick from a GF in one season. There is clearly still some residual bad blood with Darce following the appallingly arrogant way that Teflon left our club in 2002, but I reckon he has only succeeded in dragging his own personal reputation through the mud with his ill-considered comments.

Also, people link Darce to some sort of 'inside' Bulldog capacity when the reality is that he is a media commentator. As a result, Darce's comments are perceived as being from the Bulldogs camp unofficially, which is not helping us out in relation to our brand being trashed in recent weeks. The club has done an outstanding job on moving on from the Aker sacking issue immediately after The Footy Show, but Darce keeps fanning the flames of a near-dead issue.

When Teflon is winning the PR battle in any argument you know that you have missed the mark completely.

comrade
18-08-2010, 11:23 AM
When Teflon is winning the PR battle in any argument you know that you have missed the mark completely.

That was my first reaction. Darce has completely ballsed this one up.

dadsgirl16
18-08-2010, 12:55 PM
yep tend to agree.

Remi Moses
18-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Tend to agree about Darce being silly with the Leading Teams stuff. Will say I think Darcy's quip at the testimonial was tongue in cheek stuff,which Wallace took seriously.
Race to the bottom of the barrel here.

mighty_west
18-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Tend to agree about Darce being silly with the Leading Teams stuff. Will say I think Darcy's quip at the testimonial was tongue in cheek stuff,which Wallace took seriously.
Race to the bottom of the barrel here.

Probably didn't need to do it though, considering the little argy bargy a few weeks back between the two, plus Johnno's testimonial night etc etc, it just made Darce look a bit silly.

Remi Moses
18-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Touch thinned skin though (is it possible to say Terry's Isn't leathery)
Time to move on for all concerned

chef
18-08-2010, 06:19 PM
pretty childish form both parties.

This^^^

ratsmac
18-08-2010, 07:27 PM
I love Darc but I think he might look back in a couple years and regret that he said these comments.

AndrewP6
18-08-2010, 10:23 PM
I made a comment to a mate that I think Darce is losing his marbles! An exaggeration of course, but as others here have said, he's making a goose of himself of late.

bornadog
18-08-2010, 10:53 PM
I prefer listening to Darcy than Wallett. Wallet is sooking because he wasn't invited to Johnnos lunch

immortalmike
19-08-2010, 03:04 AM
I actually don't really think Darce's initial comments were all that bad. He even stated that no coach in those days would have taken player feedback in the way they do now. Wallace could have left it at that and said something along the lines of "coaching was different in those days" or "that's Luke's opinion". But instead he demonstrated Darcy's point for him by getting offended at his coaching being questioned.

Now Terry's gone off at an offhand joke. Seriously, apart from Lord Voldemort is there a sadder man in football. Terry's had strong ties to three clubs and not one of them wants a bar of him.

Go_Dogs
19-08-2010, 09:05 AM
I didn't really have a problem with what Darce said, but like everything in the media his works were quickly twisted out of context and the issue he was trying to bring to attention got lost in the sideshow.

Hopefully it doesn't dent him too hard, because I must say I usually enjoy listening to his comments.

Desipura
19-08-2010, 09:16 AM
I prefer listening to Darcy than Wallett. Wallet is sooking because he wasn't invited to Johnnos lunch

No, Wallace is sooking because Darcy was cracking jokes about him on the night, saying things like "I rang Wallace but he did not return my calls"