PDA

View Full Version : Finals: Week 1

LostDoggy
18-08-2010, 01:04 PM
Just wanted to pick the collective footy brains of fellow WOOFers out there. With week 1 of the finals, is there a set pattern to when teams play? For example, do 1st v 4th usually play on a particular day/night or is it up to the AFL to decide at the end of round 22 who plays when? I know we're not yet assured 4th spot, but have lots on that weekend and am trying to organise things around footy!! :D

aker39
18-08-2010, 01:09 PM
If we are playing Collingwood, there is a fair chance it will be shown in prime time, therefore Friday or Saturday night.

SlimPickens
18-08-2010, 01:22 PM
There is no real pattern, you also need to consider that the afl has changed the round 22 fixture completely. The final fixture will take into account travel, so with Freo playing (possibly at home- when they finish 5-6th), i'd say that would be the friday night match and the dogs would play most likely on the Sat. But also remember the Pies Saints game (1st v 4th) was on the Sunday last year.

The Coon Dog
18-08-2010, 01:27 PM
They have saidthat they would like to reward the top team with a 7 day break. That may mean we don't play on the Friday night.

Ozza
18-08-2010, 01:32 PM
I would say that given we are almost certainly playing Collingwood - we would be just about a lock to play saturday night at the G (obviously). And then probably play the following Saturday night (perhaps) against Carlton if we lose first week.

LostDoggy
18-08-2010, 01:42 PM
I would say that given we are almost certainly playing Collingwood - we would be just about a lock to play saturday night at the G (obviously). And then probably play the following Saturday night (perhaps) against Carlton if we lose first week.

No we will get a week off

aker39
18-08-2010, 01:47 PM
But also remember the Pies Saints game (1st v 4th) was on the Sunday last year.

That's because they both played on Sunday in round 22.

LostDoggy
18-08-2010, 01:53 PM
No we will get a week off

Thats right.

LostDoggy
18-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Thanks for all your feedback. Will have to wait & see what the AFL decide I suppose. :)

LostDoggy
20-08-2010, 03:59 AM
That's because they both played on Sunday in round 22.

And cos Saints finished first on the ladder and got the longest break possible

bornadog
20-08-2010, 11:06 PM

Probably crack 80,000 again (like 2006)

LostDoggy
21-08-2010, 03:05 AM
Probably even more again as we both have more members then we did in 2006

Flamethrower
27-08-2010, 12:12 AM
It looks like we are playing next Saturday night against the Pies.

Tentative fixture for week 1:

Friday night - Geelong v St Kilda MCG
Saturday afternoon - Elimination final Subiaco, ANZ Stadium or Etihad Stadium
Saturday night - Collingwood v Western Bulldogs MCG
Sunday afternoon - Elimination final - Subiaco, ANZ Stadium or MCG

The fixture will be confirmed after our game on Saturday night on channel 10.

Link:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/night-tv-bonanza/story-e6frf9jf-1225910643747

LostDoggy
27-08-2010, 01:41 PM
I thought they would've scheduled our game for the Sunday arvo, and Fremantles game on the Friday night but I suppose the bottom half of the top 8 is still to be decided. Will have to wait until tomorrow night to find out then.

Cyberdoggie
27-08-2010, 01:55 PM
I thought they would've scheduled our game for the Sunday arvo, and Fremantles game on the Friday night but I suppose the bottom half of the top 8 is still to be decided. Will have to wait until tomorrow night to find out then.

It's all about ratings.

The 2 big clashes are cats v saints, and pies v dogs.
They will show them prime rating time in Melbourne where the most viewers are.

LostDoggy
28-08-2010, 03:59 AM

I hope so, because I have footy presentation Saturday that night and can't make it..
But as others have said, it's likely to be the Saturday night.. Bumber :(

Throughandthrough
28-08-2010, 10:29 AM
From someone who would know:

Coll v Bulldogs and Geel v St K will fill the two night game slots, but either one could be placed in the Friday / Saturday position.

Fremantle, wherever they finish on the ladder, will play Saturday day. Fremantle are not going to be scheduled into Saturday night with a national viewing audience and they won't be scheduled into Sunday, because a 9 day break after round 22, and then a potential 6 day break into week two travel (if they win), would be too hard an ask of them. Therefore, that leaves Saturday day only as the slot they will play win.

If Fremantle finishes in the 5 v 8 match, that will mean that Coll v Bull will be played on Friday night, as the loser of Friday night and the winner of Saturday day need to have similar breaks going into week two of the finals. the Coll / Bull loser will have one day longer rest as the higher-ranked team.

If Fremantle finishes in the 6 v 7 match, that will mean that St K v Geel will be played on Friday night, on the same scenario above.

You can't play the loser of a Friday night double-chance match against a winner of a Sunday elimination match, because that is only a five-day break into the next week

Go_Dogs
28-08-2010, 12:06 PM
So, it's looking like Sat night assuming Swannies win? (Just had a quick scan of what you wrote)

That'd be nice. Wasn't too keen on a hectic Friday night flying over after work etc

LostDoggy
28-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Yeah I'd prefer Sat nite also

LostDoggy
28-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Yeah I'd prefer Sat nite also

Thats ok but what would the team prefer? Would the Pies be easier to beat with a 6 day break or 7? I know we would have a lesser break but we have sometimes performed well after 6 days. I personally am watching the game and the Pies are not impressing me so far, pressure is an absolute must and by the time this game is finished the Pies will be feeling the pinch. The Hawks are hurting them, it's a tough Finals like game and I think we would go better playing them Friday night.

LostDoggy
29-08-2010, 01:54 AM
I think we would need a bigger break then the Pies would. Regardless, its on the Saturday Night