PDA

View Full Version : Round 21 Preview - Western Bulldogs v Sydney Swans

aker39
18-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Round 21 Western Bulldogs v Sydney Swans
21/08/10 at SCG 7.10pm
Live on Foxtel

(Apparently there is some other event happening on Saturday night, but we'll leave those discussions for another board)

Last 5 weeks

WB - WWWWL

The dogs have been travelling nicely, but hit a speed hump last week. Let's hope that's all it was.

SS - WLLWW

The Swans have played 4 top 8 teams in the last 5 weeks and won 3 of them, the only lose being to Geelong.

Recent History

Round 8, 15 May 2010 Manuka Oval Western Bulldogs defeat Sydney 101-63

Round 10, 30 May 2009 Manuka Oval Western Bulldogs defeat Sydney 117-77

Semi Final, 12 Sep 2008 MCG Western Bulldogs defeat Sydney 106-69

Round 18, 3 Aug 2008 Manuka Oval Western Bulldogs defeat Sydney 113-97

Round 7, 4 May 2008 SCG Sydney defeated by Western Bulldogs 94-112

We've had the wood over them recently, although the last time we played at SCG, we got done by 3 goals.

Some Stats that matter

One of the topics of conversation on here this week has been tackles.

The Dogs rate last in the league with an average of 61 tackles per game, while the Swans come in at 10th with 67 tackles per game. I thought the Swans may have been higher up than that with their close checking style of play. I think there were about 20 tackles that we let slip against the Cats and must make a better effort for them to stick this week.

The other stat is hitouts. We average 33 hitouts a game against the Swans 41. Mumford has been very good for the Swans (probably the 2nd best recruit for the year behind Baz) and Mike Pike has improved with every game. With Huddo having the week off to groom his beard, we need him to continue his great form and get some much needed help from Roughead.

Likely ins and outs

Ins
Bulldogs - Hudson, Cooney, Grant and Harrow
Swans - Roberts Thomson, Nick Smith

Outs
Bulldogs - Higgins, Wood, Minson, Eagleton
Swans - McGlynn, Moore

Likely Matchups

Jack to Cooney

Jack is Sydney's No.1 run with player and Cooney will need to be at his best. Hopefully he has fully recovered from the virus. Jack has also managed 27 shots on goal so Cooney will need to show him some respect going the other way.

Morris to Goodes

Dale will need to be up to his absolute best this week. Goodes is ranked 3rd in the league for marks and 7th for goal assists. He will need all the help he can get from his fellow defenders. I remember watching Goodes in the flesh in Canberra last year, and he is the sort of player that can change the course of the game very quickly.

Lake to White

With Moore taking Goodes, that leaves Lake to pick up White (assuming Bradshaw is not playing) Lake copped plenty of criticism for his performance against Geelong. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was injured and he should have no problem dealing with White.

Picken to Hanneberry

The Swan young gun is having a stellar year, capping it off last week with a season high 38 disposals. He has shown enough for our No.1 stopper to be assigned to him.

Very emotional game for the Swans, possibly the last home game for 2 of their most popular identities in Paul Roos and Brett Kirk. There is one way to take the emotion out of the game and that is to get on top right from the start, something that we haven't been all that good at this year in the big games.

Barry returns to the SCG for the 1st time since his farewell lap last year. Back to one of his favourite grounds and if he can kick 4 to 6 we'll go along way to getting the points.

Assuming our players have all recovered from the virus, I see us wining by about 20 points.

Sedat
18-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Very emotional game for the Swans, possibly the last home game for 2 of their most popular identities in Paul Roos and Brett Kirk. There is one way to take the emotion out of the game and that is to get on top right from the start, something that we haven't been all that good at this year in the big games.
Great write up Aker39.

If recent history is any indication, we will start slowly but absolutely rip them apart in the 2nd qtr. It has happened in 4 of the last 5 matches against them with the exception being the 08 SF, when we blew them away in the 3rd qtr instead.

At our best we have an extra couple of gears that the Swans cannot match.

Curly5
18-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Brian Lake may not play. :(

Flamethrower
18-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Look for Ryan O'Keefe to run with Ryan Griffen this week. He has shut out Luke Hodge and David Mundy the last 2 weeks.

The Swans have a lot more to play for than us this week. Them - final home game for Brett Kirk and Paul Roos, playing for a possible home final, chance to prove themselves against one of the "big 4". Us - can we rebound after last week's horror show, pride, confidence, secure 4th if Fremantle roll Hawthorn earlier in the day. I have a feeling this may just get the Swans across the line in a high intensity finals type game.

Hudson versus Mumford for the 2nd ruck position in the AA team.

Mofra
18-08-2010, 02:40 PM
How our backline operate will be fascinating. Do we have a match up for Williams? Roll the dice and put on Goodes for periods of the game?
If he gets a centre bounce or two, I'd love to see a ex-League vs ex-Union ruck duel.

1eyedog
18-08-2010, 02:46 PM
How our backline operate will be fascinating. Do we have a match up for Williams? Roll the dice and put on Goodes for periods of the game?
If he gets a centre bounce or two, I'd love to see a ex-League vs ex-Union ruck duel.

Morris on Goodes and Williams on White and Lake to rest if injured?

1eyedog
18-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Look for Ryan O'Keefe to run with Ryan Griffen this week. He has shut out Luke Hodge and David Mundy the last 2 weeks.

The Swans have a lot more to play for than us this week. Them - final home game for Brett Kirk and Paul Roos, playing for a possible home final, chance to prove themselves against one of the "big 4". Us - can we rebound after last week's horror show, pride, confidence, secure 4th if Fremantle roll Hawthorn earlier in the day. I have a feeling this may just get the Swans across the line in a high intensity finals type game.

Hudson versus Mumford for the 2nd ruck position in the AA team.

I still don't think they will be good enough.

Jamar before Hudson (just).

LostDoggy
18-08-2010, 05:18 PM
Great preview Aker39. If Lake misses, he will be a big out for us, same for Wood. We seem to have had the Swans measure for the last few years - let's hope the emotion of final game for Kirk, etc., is nullified by our passion to redeem ourselves for last Saturday. That is, I hope we come out and make a very big statement, early!

comrade
18-08-2010, 05:34 PM

Our backline structure will most likely be dependent on how Sydney lines up. If Bradshaw plays and Jesse White stays in, Tom may take him (White). If Sydney lines up with two talls (White and Goodes) do we give him extended runs in the ruck?

Throw in Lake possibly missing and it makes for an interesting team selection.

stevieg
18-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Recent History[/B]

Great post but we won the 2008 game at the SCG

AndrewP6
18-08-2010, 11:25 PM
Recent History[/B]

Great post but we won the 2008 game at the SCG

It does say "Sydney defeated by Western Bulldogs" :)

Mantis
19-08-2010, 10:07 AM
Good work on the preview.

It will be interesting to see how we respond from last weeks belting and if the Swans will play with greater intensity due to significance of the game.

We have a great recent record against the Swans so hopefully we can bounce back from the disappointment of last week and respond with a strong win.

bornadog
19-08-2010, 10:51 AM
Thanks Aker39, good preview.

I would hope that Bazza does well in this game, he certainly will be fired up. Apparently he is still recovering from the virus but should be ok.

If Lake is out due to hip issues, we may end up being stretched alittle. Our average tackles per game are about the same as last year, although we were well down last week, but more importantly we failed to put pressure on the Geelong midfield. Sydney play a different game now than what they once played and this may suit us. The SCG has not been a happy hunting ground for us over the years, but I think we need to win this just to keep the confidence up and seal 4th spot.

LostDoggy
19-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Great preview 39

We will have to be at our best to win this they will have a big build up and come out hard and if we are still feeling any effects of any virus I cant see us getting up. They are coming back from a hard game in Perth which will help. But Freo wont beat the Hawks so as long as we get through without injuries everything will be fine. :)

I wouldnt waste Picken on Hanneberry he just signed a contract so he will be quiet. :D
He would be better served on Kirk or Mcveigh. I'm expecting improvment from Ward and Johnno (If they play) to back up my Arguement of how Etihad is killing us.

Mofra
19-08-2010, 01:34 PM
I wouldnt waste Picken on Hanneberry he just signed a contract so he will be quiet. :D
He would be better served on Kirk or Mcveigh. I'm expecting improvment from Ward and Johnno (If they play) to back up my Arguement of how Etihad is killing us.
Kirk has been down, and has McVeigh been playing in the midfield? I though he'd been playing more as a flanker this year.

I'd be more worried about RoK - getting over the mid-season slump

LostDoggy
19-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Kirk has been down, and has McVeigh been playing in the midfield? I though he'd been playing more as a flanker this year.

I'd be more worried about RoK - getting over the mid-season slump

Kirk was great against the Hawks and expect him to be fired up. McVeigh is important to them and I think he has been moving through the middle.

Mantis
19-08-2010, 09:20 PM
Kirk was great against the Hawks and expect him to be fired up. McVeigh is important to them and I think he has been moving through the middle.

Kirk hasn't been effective against us for a while, I would be really disappointed if he performs well.

McVeigh normally starts at half forward and then pushes into the midfield. Cross played well on him in Canberra earlier this year so might play on him again, but how tight he plays is anyones guess.

LostDoggy
19-08-2010, 09:51 PM
Kirk hasn't been effective against us for a while, I would be really disappointed if he performs well.

McVeigh normally starts at half forward and then pushes into the midfield. Cross played well on him in Canberra earlier this year so might play on him again, but how tight he plays is anyones guess.

Well I hope it stays that way :) Ok so who would you like Picken to go to?

Mantis
19-08-2010, 10:08 PM
Ok so who would you like Picken to go to?

Hanneberry or Jetta.

He could even play in attack on Shaw, Malceski or Kennelly if required.

Doc26
19-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Well I hope it stays that way :) Ok so who would you like Picken to go to?

For me we have to shut down Hannebery and Jack. He takes one of these two. Take your pick.

LostDoggy
19-08-2010, 10:16 PM
Hanneberry or Jetta.

He could even play in attack on Shaw, Malceski or Kennelly if required.

:) He is quite talented our Picken hese been a massive find.

Mantis
19-08-2010, 10:26 PM
For me we have to shut down Hannebery and Jack. He takes one of these two. Take your pick.

Would Jack be to 'inside' for Liam?

I think he would.

comrade
19-08-2010, 10:28 PM

I think he would.

That being said, Jack is just about Sydney's most attacking midfielder. They're a team full of inside mids and taggers.

Picken won't go to him though, you wouldn't think.

Doc26
19-08-2010, 10:30 PM

I think he would.

I'm not convinced at all that Cross and Boyd can any longer play inside shut down roles, well for one they appear they don't want to. If they can't then who else to step in and bridge the gaping hole. Yes I realise Liam is being typecast as Mr 'Outside' shutdown but as with the Dre comments we aren't giving him enough credit, in this case to go with the elite inside mids who are dominating us.

Ozza
20-08-2010, 11:37 AM
I would like to see Picko play forward. Across half forward against Kenelly or Malcecki in a forward defensive role. Picko is quick, has great defensive skills and can definitely find a goal. He should play forward this week - and if it works well - he should play forward against Collingwood on Heath Shaw.

always right
20-08-2010, 12:24 PM
I would like to see Picko play forward. Across half forward against Kenelly or Malcecki in a forward defensive role. Picko is quick, has great defensive skills and can definitely find a goal. He should play forward this week - and if it works well - he should play forward against Collingwood on Heath Shaw.

Agree.....I think he will get Malceski. Eade has a tendency to put Picken on influential players who fly a little under the radar..rather than the out and out guns.

Boyd and Cross have some redemption to achieve based on their failure to put a defensive clamp on the key Geelong midfielders last week. Particularly in the first half I thought it must have been Selwood who had the virus and no-one wanted to pick him up. Suspect either of these two might have a job on McVeigh.

DOG GOD
20-08-2010, 03:35 PM

Exactly what i said in another thread Ozza.

Picken would be an ideal candidate on someone like Shaw.

Ozza
20-08-2010, 03:47 PM
Exactly what i said in another thread Ozza.

Picken would be an ideal candidate on someone like Shaw.

Indeed. The because he is so good one on one with the ball at ground level - he has the ability to create goals. Is a lovely kick too. He played quite a bit of his footy at Willi at half forward. He was a fwd/mid type until his final season there where he was predominantly a midfielder.