HB: Ryan Hargrave, Tom Williams, Lindsay Gilbee
C: Daniel Cross, Matthew Boyd, Liam Picken
HF: Brad Johnson, Liam Jones, Robert Murphy
F: Daniel Giansiracusa, Barry Hall, Jarrad Grant
Foll: Ben Hudson, Adam Cooney, Ryan Griffen
I/C: Nathan Eagleton, Brodie Moles, Callan Ward, Mitch Hahn

Emergencies: Andrejs Everitt, Dylan Addison, Jordan Roughead

In: M.Hahn , A.Cooney , J.Harbrow , B.Hudson , J.Grant
Out: W.Minson (omitted) , S.Higgins (calf) , A.Everitt (omitted) , J.Roughead (omitted) , E.Wood (hamstring)

Sydney Swans
B: Paul Bevan, Ted Richards, Rhyce Shaw
HB: Nick Malceski, Heath Grundy, Tadhg Kennelly
C: Lewis Jetta, Brett Kirk, Jarrad McVeigh
HF: Daniel Hannebery, Ryan O'Keefe, Josh Kennedy
F: Mike Pyke, Adam Goodes, Jesse White
Foll: Shane Mumford, Jude Bolton, Kieren Jack
I/C: Trent Dennis-Lane, Martin Mattner, Gary Rohan, Nick Smith
Emg: Brett Meredith, Sam Reid, Patrick Veszpremi

In: Smith, Rohan
Out: Ben McGlynn (cheekbone), Jarred Moore (concussion)
____________________________________________________________ __

Really surprised at the ommision of both our backup rucks.

LostDoggy
19-08-2010, 06:05 PM
Me too surprised.......why Roughead? Willbur didn't really do enough to stay in the side, but I thought Roughie went okay???

Remi Moses
19-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Shocked with the non second ruck even no emergency back up. Strange considering the form Mumford's in

G-Mo77
19-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Shocked with the non second ruck even no emergency back up. Strange considering the form Mumford's in

Roughie is named Emergency so I guess there is still a chance we go with another ruck.

divvydan
19-08-2010, 06:11 PM
IF the 22 were to stay like that, I imagine it would be Williams pinch hitting as back up in the ruck. Puts a lot of pressure on Lake as the main tall in defence though.

Axe Man
19-08-2010, 06:12 PM
Does anybody know which emergencies flew to Sydney (the team went up yesterday)?

You would think Everitt or Roughead could come in for Lake if he doesn't come up.

BulldogBelle
19-08-2010, 06:12 PM
Late change Lake out for Roughhead?

Scraggers
19-08-2010, 06:13 PM
BULLDOGS
Western Bulldogs
B: Jarrod Harbrow, Brian Lake, Dale Morris

Out: W.Minson (omitted) , S.Higgins (calf) , A.Everitt (omitted) , J.Roughead (omitted) , E.Wood (hamstring)

Sydney Swans

Rohan Smith named as an in for Sydney?? ;)

LostDoggy
Roughie is named Emergency so I guess there is still a chance we go with another ruck.

Thats what I was thinking, especially with Lake 50/50.

The Pie Man
What's strange is that both Roughead & Everitt get dropped. Williams is obviously in line for back up ruck duties, though I thought Everitt would get played as well in a Hudson only situation.

I'm happy Liam Jones is retained.

A bit weirded out overall :confused:

jazzadogs
It appears...is it Mantis? Or Rocco Jones? Or mjp? has got their wish to trial the one ruckman with a part-timer idea.

If Lake is a late withdrawal (like some have reported he might be), you would think that Everitt would come in ahead of Roughead, as he can provide back-up in defence as well as giving an extra option to Williams and the Beard in the ruck.

Not sure Everitt deserved to be dropped for Hahn in the first place...

chef
19-08-2010, 06:14 PM

Hopefully one of Roughie or Everitt come in for one of Moles or Eagleton.

Pickenitup
19-08-2010, 06:15 PM
Tom Williams is in some doubt as well as Brian Lake

The Pie Man
19-08-2010, 06:15 PM
It appears...is it Mantis? Or Rocco Jones? Or mjp? has got their wish to trial the one ruckman with a part-timer idea.

If Lake is a late withdrawal (like some have reported he might be), you would think that Everitt would come in ahead of Roughead, as he can provide back-up in defence as well as giving an extra option to Williams and the Beard in the ruck.

Neither am I

And Rocco has been the 1 ruck driver that I'm aware of

jazzadogs
19-08-2010, 06:17 PM
Neither am I

And Rocco has been the 1 ruck driver that I'm aware of
Thanks for that...I had a feeling it was Rocco, and I apologise to the other two if they're completely against it haha.

bornadog
19-08-2010, 06:19 PM
It appears Williams will be the back up ruckman as Sydney have a small forward line. The MC have gone for a team based on match ups.

Still surprised with the omission of Everitt.

chef
19-08-2010, 06:21 PM
It appears Williams will be the back up ruckman as Sydney have a small forward line. The MC have gone for a team based on match ups.

F: Mike Pyke, Adam Goodes, Jesse White + O'Keefe at CHF isn't that small is it?.

angelopetraglia
19-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Freo have basically conceded the Hawthorn game with seven outs! OUTS: Fyfe, Hayden, Hill, McPhee, Morabito, Mundy, Pavlich

Basically means that the outcome of the game is meaningless in regards to position on the ladder for the year, therefore the ability to try some different things and rest anyone in and doubt at all.

However, getting back some form and confidence is priceless.

comrade
19-08-2010, 06:24 PM
Hahn and Eagle - together again.

G-Mo77
19-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Hahn and Eagle - together again.

I take it your pleased with the reunion. ;)

GVGjr
19-08-2010, 06:30 PM
Me too surprised.......why Roughead? Willbur didn't really do enough to stay in the side, but I thought Roughie went okay???

Small ground. I find it a bit surprising to drop Everitt though who could have given some support to Hudson.

comrade
19-08-2010, 06:32 PM
I take it your pleased with the reunion. ;)

Thrilled.

mighty_west
19-08-2010, 06:37 PM

I'm not suprised, very disappointed though, i thought Everitts last few weeks had been very very good, starting to step up to the plate, if you will.

Scraggers
19-08-2010, 06:38 PM
I think Freo are playing for 5th and a home final ... (Good news for us :) )

In: Dodd, Murphy, Palmer, Hinkley, van Berlo, Pearce, Bollenhagen
Out: Matthew Pavlich (soreness), Adam McPhee (soreness), Roger Hayden (soreness), David Mundy (soreness), Stephen Hill (soreness), Anthony Morabito (soreness), Nathan Fyfe (soreness)

DOG GOD
19-08-2010, 06:39 PM
Small ground. I find it a bit surprising to drop Everitt though who could have given some support to Hudson.

Same here. I personally dont wanna see Williams rucking where he could have a good chance of getting injured (u know what he's like).

Very surprised with Everitt out and Hahn in...but then again :rolleyes:

GVGjr
19-08-2010, 06:41 PM
Same here. I personally dont wanna see Williams rucking where he could have a good chance of getting injured (u know what he's like).

Very surprised with Everitt out and Hahn in...but then again :rolleyes:

Same here. I don't mind it if he has to go into the ruck because of injuries but I don't like it if we are planning to use him in as the 2nd ruck. Late change?

ReLoad
19-08-2010, 06:43 PM
Lake is out and Roughhead will play, thats my mail.

DOG GOD
19-08-2010, 06:45 PM

Well with Freo match fixing against the Hawks, if Lake isnt 100% there is no need to risk him.

The Pie Man
19-08-2010, 06:46 PM

Wouldn't you play Everitt in that case? Kinda like for like?

LostDoggy
19-08-2010, 06:54 PM
BULLDOGS
Western Bulldogs
B: Jarrod Harbrow, Brian Lake, Dale Morris

Sydney Swans

WOW that could be the worst interchange the bulldogs have had......EVER
(Apologies Callan I know your injured). Not totally surprised for the outs its a small congested ground and Huddo's a gun. I am actually hoping Lake pulls out no point playing our most important player in a dead rubber if he is 50/50. Everitt should come in for sure.

Doc26
19-08-2010, 06:54 PM
If I can speak for Dre for one moment - I want a trade.
5 changes and he's out yet again - stuff me.

DOG GOD
19-08-2010, 06:57 PM
Yeah Doc26 he must be thinking to himself "What the F do i have to do". I thought he had been playing ok the last few weeks and was one of few that actually did ok last week. He's more mobile than Hahn and can at least pinch hit in the ruck. He would also be a candidate to run with Goodes, especially at the scg if needed.

Would love to hear Rockets views as to WHY he was dropped.

ReLoad
19-08-2010, 07:00 PM
Wouldn't you play Everitt in that case? Kinda like for like?

Some of the coaches had a meeting with Roughy earlier in the week and told him to work on his defensive side, so he will play this week and take that famous Scott Wynd "drop back and fill the hole" role. (suited to the SCG)

From my mail, for whatever that is worth:

They are playing Hahn, given his form last week and the SCG suits him. (however he will NOT play against the bombers in round 22, as they are all about speed, which he does not have)

Lake is doubtful at best, hence why Roughy was omitted, knowing there is a strong chance he shall play.

Personally I would have stuck with Everitt and dropped Callan Ward, I would have even gone so far as to have played Dre on the ball/wing at times, Sydney has NO matchup for him at all. (imagine him on Mike Pyke - he would cut him up alive)

SlimPickens
19-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Does anybody know which emergencies flew to Sydney (the team went up yesterday)?

You would think Everitt or Roughead could come in for Lake if he doesn't come up.

Saw Addison at uni today, so he is obviously not up in Sydney with the side. I like the balance of the side. Sydney don't have two ruckmen and pitch hit with Pyke.

Being a small ground Hudson is up for the challenge and i thought Williams did alright against the Dees earlier in the year as a back up.

FrediKanoute
19-08-2010, 07:03 PM

Very perplexed by this......to me was one guy who could actually hold his head up at the end of the game......

Rocco Jones
19-08-2010, 07:06 PM
Really feel fore Dre (unless they are planning to play him for Lake anyway). Seems like Eade judges him a lot harder than most. I know he has issues with his intensity, I think Dre's main issue is his confidence and I really do not believe Eade and the MC are helping at all.

Having Hahn and Eagle in the side ahead of Dre is both ridiculous and sadly, predictable. I really wish Dre well at GC/next side, let's see what he is like under a coach who has some belief in him. Easy to forget he is only 21, especially young for a taller type (I know he doesn't play as a tall but I believe it takes inbetween/tall types longer). Anyways.

LostDoggy
19-08-2010, 07:06 PM
Some of the coaches had a meeting with Roughy earlier in the week and told him to work on his defensive side, so he will play this week and take that famous Scott Wynd "drop back and fill the hole" role. (suited to the SCG)

They are playing Hahn, given his form last week and the SCG suits him. (however he will NOT play against the bombers in round 22, as they are all about speed, which he does not have)
Lake is doubtful at best, hence why Roughy was omitted, knowing there is a strong chance he shall play.

Personally I would have stuck with Everitt and dropped Callan Ward, I would have even gone so far as to have played Dre on the ball/wing at times, Sydney has NO matchup for him at all. (imagine him on Mike Pyke - he would cut him up alive)

So its a farewell game then? I'm expecting improvement from Callan being away from Etihad then drop him for the Bombers then back in for the pies.

Rocco Jones
19-08-2010, 07:09 PM

I (would) find it odd that we are factoring in the SCG so much considering we virtually locked into 4th spot whether we win or lose on Saturday. Freo are sending a skeleton squad to Tassie and will get hammered, they are concentrating on Round 22 and trying to lock in 5th spot. Why worry so much about a side suiting the SCG when the finals are such a different ball game? Would seem/seems very short sighted (hardly a surprise with Eade and the MC though).

GVGjr
19-08-2010, 07:16 PM

I heard that 2 emergencies were going up so I think this could be correct.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-08-2010, 07:19 PM
If I can speak for Dre for one moment - I want a trade.
5 changes and he's out yet again - stuff me.

Really feel fore Dre (unless they are planning to play him for Lake anyway). Seems like Eade judges him a lot harder than most. I know he has issues with his intensity, I think Dre's main issue is his confidence and I really do not believe Eade and the MC are helping at all.

Having Hahn and Eagle in the side ahead of Dre is both ridiculous and sadly, predictable. I really wish Dre well at GC/next side, let's see what he is like under a coach who has some belief in him. Easy to forget he is only 21, especially young for a taller type (I know he doesn't play as a tall but I believe it takes inbetween/tall types longer). Anyways.

This.

I've lost complete faith in the MC. The fact that Eagleton, Hahn and Ward (injured, not fit - whatever) play ahead of Everitt is pathetic. Andrejs was one of few players who did OK against Geelong.

Williams being played as a part time ruck? He's done well in this role, but as GVG said, I don't like the 'planning' of it. Massive injury risk.

comrade
19-08-2010, 07:30 PM
At least Jones kept his spot. He'd done nothing wrong in the 3 weeks proceeding.

LostDoggy
19-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Hahn better play well, I would much rather Everitt in that team!

azabob
19-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Not sure what Im most frustrated at Everitt not playing or Eagleton and Hahn playing.

When Hahn was in the team he wasn't in great form and from all reports his form hasn't been great at Williamstown so why has he earned a recall?

Perhaps both Hall and Lake won't be playing?

As much as things change, everything stays the same.

Mantis
19-08-2010, 07:37 PM

Eade isn't the only one on the MC who is hard on Everitt. They still don't know where to play him and don't believe his strengths outweigh his negatives.

Eagleton's game was pathetic last week and for him to receive another game shows just how predictable we are.

LostDoggy
19-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Doesn't bother me that Hahn is in, but Everitt - Its hard to say it but I think hes going to be traded (highly rumored to be linked with the Saints last trade round). If he does get an opportunity at another club I think they will used him more effectively in a role on the wing, something we don't do enough - and have players like Eagleton ahead of him - do not understand.

LostDoggy
19-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Cant see Everitt there next year!! Will want out i reakon after getting dropped again!:eek:

Mantis
19-08-2010, 07:40 PM
At least Jones kept his spot. He'd done nothing wrong in the 3 weeks proceeding.

But with Hahn coming back where is Jones going to play? Our forwardline looks top heavy with Hall, Johnno, Jones, Hahn and Grant in the team.

LostDoggy
19-08-2010, 07:42 PM
But with Hahn coming back where is Jones going to play? Our forwardline looks top heavy with Hall, Johnno, Jones, Hahn and Grant in the team.

Hahn to play defensive role, which he was doing before he was injured..

Rocco Jones
19-08-2010, 07:46 PM
Eade isn't the only one on the MC who is hard on Everitt. They still don't know where to play him and don't believe his strengths outweigh his negatives.

Eagleton's game was pathetic last week and for him to receive another game shows just how predictable we are.

That's why I said 'Eade and the MC aren't helping' but point noted.

I agree that Dre doesn't fit into a role naturally well but I have liked his work off HF, rate him a lot more than Hahn. What do they expect from him when they are so quick to drop him?

If the team's depth was strong I would agree with dropping Dre but it's less about him and more about guys like Eagle, Hahn, Moles and Ward playing. Eagle in particular is a joke.

Rocco Jones
19-08-2010, 07:50 PM
Hahn to play defensive role, which he was doing before he was injured..

I can't see Jones surviving until the finals. Eade is more pro oldies and anti youngens than Today Tonight and ACA combined.

comrade
19-08-2010, 07:54 PM

Hahn really shouldn't be there. Having that many players who can only play forward is a risk - thankfully, the SCG is tiny and can paper over our lack of run which I'm sure influenced the decision of the MC.

It seems they've hedged their bets this week in trying to pick a team that will beat Sydney whilst trialling a few things with the first final in mind. It'll be interesting to see if it works.

Mantis
19-08-2010, 07:56 PM
That's why I said 'Eade and the MC aren't helping' but point noted.

I agree that Dre doesn't fit into a role naturally well but I have liked his work off HF, rate him a lot more than Hahn. What do they expect from him when they are so quick to drop him?

If the team's depth was strong I would agree with dropping Dre but it's less about him and more about guys like Eagle, Hahn, Moles and Ward playing. Eagle in particular is a joke.

Preaching to the converted here.

Eagleton was great against Adelaide as he was able to play a free running
role and did well.

He was down right horrible last week, probably as expected, and should not have been given another chance.

Not happy.

Rocco Jones
19-08-2010, 07:58 PM
Hahn really shouldn't be there. Having that many players who can only play forward is a risk - thankfully, the SCG is tiny and can paper over our lack of run which I'm sure influenced the decision of the MC.

It seems they've hedged their bets this week in trying to pick a team that will beat Sydney whilst trialling a few things with the first final in mind. It'll be interesting to see if it works.

Good points raised there comrade.

Hahn is a shocking selection. As bad as Eagle is, at least he can cover a lot of ground/offer us legs. Hahn and Johnno vs Maxwell, O'Brien and Shaw is downright terrifying.

I believe Eade is a very good coach overall but he seems to be really struggling with the modern game's forward line needs. I guess to be fair it's not like his cattle helps.

Rocco Jones
19-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Preaching to the converted here.

Eagleton was great against Adelaide as he was able to play a free running
role and did well.

He was down right horrible last week, probably as expected, and should not have been given another chance.

Not happy.

Yep, I know I don't have to sell Eagle is crap to you! Ridiculous how much you get hounded for it at times, I just truly don't get how anyone thinks he will do anything other than fail in the finals.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Yep, I know I don't have to sell Eagle is crap to you! Ridiculous how much you get hounded for it at times, I just truly don't get how anyone thinks he will do anything other than fail in the finals.

What's more annoying is that Eagleton and Hahn will probably play well enough to hold their spots this week. In these kind of games, they always do.

Then when the real test comes around, they'll be blown out of the water.

I just hope the coaching staff is held accountable for the inevitable failures.

azabob
19-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Who is on the MC?

Cyberdoggie
19-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Thrilled.

Wonderfull positive steps for the future. :rolleyes:

Mantis
19-08-2010, 08:43 PM
Who is on the MC?

Eade, Leon Cameron, Peter Dean & Paul Williams.

Doc26
19-08-2010, 08:46 PM
I'm trying hard to figure the sense in the MC's dropping of Dre.

Lake has an apparent injury cloud over him that we may need defensive cover for - hello Andrejs. Minson and Roughead both dropped and Hudson back from an apparent illness who will need the odd chop out - hello Andrejs. The MC continue to persevere with underdone / injured players such as with Johnson and Ward this week rather than players up and going - hello Andrejs. The MC keep falling for flat trackers in Eagleton and Hahn who we can rely upon to get carved up by the top four teams defensive runners rather than take some faith in the future stars - hello Andrejs. I realise Andrejs has flaws but we can see him working on them i.e his lack of intensity. In recent weeks, having been given half decent game time, his confidence and intensity has lifted. He must get a gig over at least 3 of those mentioned above. This is downright nonsensical and I fear a mutiny is in order.

It's times like this I require the prose of a James Cuming's. This MC is just bloody crap ;)

azabob
19-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Eade, Leon Cameron, Peter Dean & Paul Williams.

Thanks Mantis.

LostDoggy
19-08-2010, 08:53 PM
You can only assume they have to get a game into Hahn before the finals incase he is needed. He's probably too slow to play against the Bombers next week so it has to be this week.

Hopefully they bring Dre in for Lake and then it will all kinda make sense. Kinda.

BulldogBelle
19-08-2010, 08:53 PM
Maybe it's a send off match for Hahn/Eagleton?
It's the only logical explanation I can come up.

Rocco Jones
19-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Maybe it's a send off match for Hahn/Eagleton?
It's the only logical explanation I can come up.

In Sydney? Not sure why so many are surprised, very much the MO of the MC.

Hanging out for James Cuming's review of our team selection.

Go_Dogs
19-08-2010, 09:04 PM
Got to agree with the consensus that it's not a totally inspiring set of selections this week.

Like others, very surprised to see Everitt out, especially with only one ruck playing. I'd be very surprised if Everitt doesn't demand a trade (perhaps he has) at seasons end. I'm a bit miffed at the way the MC have dealt with him this year.

I guess Hahn and Eagle (and to a lesser extent Moles & Ward IMO) have a few weeks to state their claims on finals spots.

Jasper
19-08-2010, 09:04 PM

Thing with Eagle is that in the past he had three strengths

1 - Kicking power and accuracy
2 - Speed
3 - Endurance

He only has endurance now, and with the game speeding up he is a liability when you combine this with this inability to handle close checking intense (ie finals) football.

Can't work out the inclusion of Hahn unless Hall isn't playing...Hahn's lack of speed will compound our fwd line problems, am starting to lean to Picken or DFA playing as a defensive fwd, and re-educate Boyd that he is not that talented and that he needs to play a lockdown tagging role.

Interesting times ahead of us, but picking Slow Poke Rodrigues is scary.

Would have thought if they were serious abouting playing only Hudson, they would have retained Everitt as some tall support, perhaps Hahn is this....but we do remember Leigh Brown, I say again Leigh Brown, looking unstoppable on Hahn last time we played Collingwood...oh well

Mantis
19-08-2010, 09:07 PM
So if Everitt was to stay in where would he play?

Couldn't play in attack even without Hahn there.

Is there a suitable match up in defence?

Could he play on a wing? Probably not.

Go_Dogs
19-08-2010, 09:16 PM

I want to preface this with, I'm not against Hahn coming in, if he can stand up. His form in the pre-season comp (yes, I know) was very good. He hasn't had a lot of good moments since then, but if he can recapture that form and intensity, he's one of the first picked come September.

On Everitt, he went OK in defence last week, did he not?

I agree that with Hall, Hahn, Jones, Grant and Johnson up forwards doesn't really leave much space for him there.

But what about doing something crazy, and playing him on Goodes? Give him a mission and some responsibility. But I guess in the MC's eyes that's too big a risk.

It IS a tough one though...we need run so Eagle stays etc, and I guess Hahn is really taking the equivalent position of one of the rucks who've gone out and Everitt is being ousted by Grant.

I can see why, but after him playing well he needs to be rewarded like others have with good form, namely Grant, Jones, Roughead, Wood etc who have all stayed when playing well.

Jasper
19-08-2010, 09:24 PM
But what about doing something crazy, and playing him on Goodes? Give him a mission and some responsibility.

You are right, Goodes would run laps around Mitch, too much speed, too much tank.

FrediKanoute
19-08-2010, 09:32 PM
This.

I've lost complete faith in the MC. The fact that Eagleton, Hahn and Ward (injured, not fit - whatever) play ahead of Everitt is pathetic. Andrejs was one of few players who did OK against Geelong.

Williams being played as a part time ruck? He's done well in this role, but as GVG said, I don't like the 'planning' of it. Massive injury risk.

:eek: I missed this! Never been overly critical of The Eagle in the past, but there is now way in hell that he deserved to keep his spot after last week's game......

Mantis
19-08-2010, 09:34 PM
On Everitt, he went OK in defence last week, did he not?

Goodes - no way.

Who else could he go to? Remembering that he played mainly on a first gamer last week.

DOG GOD
19-08-2010, 09:38 PM
This selection for R21 reeks of best 22, not form 22, and i get the feeling that eade and the MC will be playing the best 22 card come 1st week of finals.

The MC ruined Hill by trying to turn him into a marking fwd, and now with Everitt not getting anywhere the chances of some, it looks like that he will find his niche at another club.

Hotdog60
19-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Could it be possible that the MC are resting these players for bigger things later on. The MC may have got wind of what Freo was doing and decided to take the risk.

Who knows what goes on in the inner sanctum.

chef
19-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Should we wait for the team to run out on the field before we start bagging out the MC for dropping Everitt, Roughead etc etc?

Mantis
19-08-2010, 09:49 PM
This selection for R21 reeks of best 22, not form 22, and i get the feeling that eade and the MC will be playing the best 22 card come 1st week of finals.

The MC ruined Hill by trying to turn him into a marking fwd, and now with Everitt not getting anywhere the chances of some, it looks like that he will find his niche at another club.

When was this best 22 decided, at the start of the year or this week?

FrediKanoute
19-08-2010, 09:52 PM
Goodes - no way.

Who else could he go to? Remembering that he played mainly on a first gamer last week.

I don't see the issue in playing him on Goodes......if anything setting him a task....an easily measurable task like break even at least on a guy like Goodes will probably bring the best out of him.

In regards "Who else could he go to?" I think the problem with that kind of thinking is that it takes away from him any incentive to actually play well to retain his spot in the team if he's going to be dropped for match up reasons......

Fact is if you listed the 22 that went out last week down a page and rated them from best to worst Everitt would be a heck of a lot closer to the number 1 position on the list than a number of other guys who have retained their spots...ie Eagleton. I don't for one moment profess to know the inner workings of our footy club, I don't know whether Everitt was set a task last week and failed to deliver on that task. What I do know though is that dropping a guy who played well purely for match up reasons is cr*p and does absolutely nothing to incentivise performance.

LostDoggy
19-08-2010, 09:55 PM
Should we wait for the team to run out on the field before we start bagging out the MC for dropping Everitt, Roughead etc etc?

Yep am thinking that to Chef

AndrewP6
19-08-2010, 09:59 PM
I'm one of few, but I'm not bothered by Everitt's omission...he did OK last week, but I just don't see what the fuss is about him - the MC obviously have their issues, and I'll defer to them... Roughy going out surprised me the most, I'm hopeful he's in as a late change. Eagle and Hahn? Hmm...

Doc26
19-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Goodes - no way.

Two direct match ups for Dre this week could be Josh Kennedy and/or Gary Rohan or should read could have been Josh Kennedy and/or Gary Rohan. I think he offers more flexibility than the MC give him credit for and would not be limited to just these two more simplistic match ups.

Mantis
19-08-2010, 10:04 PM
I don't see the issue in playing him on Goodes......if anything setting him a task....an easily measurable task like break even at least on a guy like Goodes will probably bring the best out of him.

In regards "Who else could he go to?" I think the problem with that kind of thinking is that it takes away from him any incentive to actually play well to retain his spot in the team if he's going to be dropped for match up reasons......

Fact is if you listed the 22 that went out last week down a page and rated them from best to worst Everitt would be a heck of a lot closer to the number 1 position on the list than a number of other guys who have retained their spots...ie Eagleton. I don't for one moment profess to know the inner workings of our footy club, I don't know whether Everitt was set a task last week and failed to deliver on that task. What I do know though is that dropping a guy who played well purely for match up reasons is cr*p and does absolutely nothing to incentivise performance.

I have no problems with those views, infact I agree with you.

Shame that it seems that the MC don't seem to follow your (our) way of thinking.

I guess we will see with performances over the next month (not just this week) if we have headed down the right path.

DOG GOD
19-08-2010, 10:32 PM
When was this best 22 decided, at the start of the year or this week?

Personally, imo Mantis i think the MC rate their best 22 and will go with that if they are brought to a head over form.

Ex: They are aware of what Hahn COULD do and rate that over Everitt's CAN do.

I might be totally wrong, but some of the decisions over the last few years have left me scratching my head.

Rocco Jones
19-08-2010, 10:36 PM

Spot on.

FrediKanoute
19-08-2010, 10:45 PM
I have no problems with those views, infact I agree with you.

Shame that it seems that the MC don't seem to follow your (our) way of thinking.

I guess we will see with performances over the next month (not just this week) if we have headed down the right path.

Agree....always happy to concede if we win a flag!

Mantis
19-08-2010, 10:48 PM
Agree....always happy to concede if we win a flag!

And if we don't we will just head down the Richmond path and trash the joint. :eek:

bornadog
19-08-2010, 11:40 PM

Lake will be out, so Williams at Full back and Hahn CHB.

The Adelaide Connection
20-08-2010, 12:10 AM
So who are the two emergencies that travelled with the team?

Also is there a possibility that sickness may have played our hand a bit with some of the perplexing selections/non-selections?

LostDoggy
20-08-2010, 12:23 AM
really surprised with the selections, but if they win, all is forgiven! :D

EasternWest
20-08-2010, 02:03 AM
Good to see the Everitt love here. Poor kid has done nothing wrong.

I think Mantis raises some good points about his actual position, but it must be so hard for him to keep his head up.

I'd imagine he'd request a trade this year, much as it pains me to consider.

immortalmike
20-08-2010, 02:32 AM
Two questions I have that are hopefully more constructive than complaining about who is in and who is out.

Firstly, did anyone see Mitchplay at Willi last weekend? If so how was he moving, did he look slow or has he benefitted from his rest?

And secondly, generally does anyone think that with Harbrow coming back and the way the teams have been selected will Murph be moved back to the forward line? He has been named on the HFF.

LostDoggy
20-08-2010, 09:04 AM

Yes, good point. I guess I didn't think about the Everitt omission yesterday, but it is surprising too. Perhaps we will see some late changes........:confused:

always right
20-08-2010, 09:14 AM
I'm concerned. At this stage of the season you expect we would be trying to settle on the best line-up for the finals.

I'm still relatively upbeat about our chances going into September but if this ends up being the line-up for the match against Collingwood, we are going to be slaughtered. That forwardline will spend all day chasing the backsides of Pie defenders.

In my view our season turned around when Johnno, Aker and Hahn were out of the side injured/suspended. With the introduction of blokes like Grant and Wood, the move of Murphy to the backline, and the introduction of Roughead we looked so much quicker and vibrant. This week's selections are a significant step backwards IMO.

bornadog
20-08-2010, 09:48 AM
I'm concerned. At this stage of the season you expect we would be trying to settle on the best line-up for the finals.

I'm still relatively upbeat about our chances going into September but if this ends up being the line-up for the match against Collingwood, we are going to be slaughtered. That forwardline will spend all day chasing the backsides of Pie defenders.

In my view our season turned around when Johnno, Aker and Hahn were out of the side injured/suspended. With the introduction of blokes like Grant and Wood, the move of Murphy to the backline, and the introduction of Roughead we looked so much quicker and vibrant. This week's selections are a significant step backwards IMO.

In fact we started winning when Johnno came back into the team.

The team chosen for the weekend is close to our best on paper except for maybe Higgins (in doubt due to illness), Roughead/Minson and maybe Everitt, depending on the opposition.

becmatty
20-08-2010, 09:57 AM
In fact we started winning when Johnno came back into the team.

The team chosen for the weekend is close to our best on paper except for maybe Higgins (in doubt due to illness), Roughead/Minson and maybe Everitt, depending on the opposition.

I agree totally bornadog.

I think the team looks very strong this week and aside from Higgins being out and the need to reintroduce a backup ruckman for round 22, I think this is the team to get the job done.

That being said, I think Jones will make way for Minson/Roughy next week.

comrade
20-08-2010, 10:08 AM
Best on paper means very little, particularly coming in to finals. I'd much prefer a team that was fit and raring to go, rather than trying to squeeze in players who were considered best 22 at the start of the year due to past deeds (and who have failed to perform throughout THIS year).

The proof will be in the pudding.

Mofra
20-08-2010, 10:22 AM

Everitt is a conundrum. He is a quality player, but what he offers the team is less than his total ability.

Lets be honest - as a backman, he'd be the 6th best on the ground if he played.
As a forward? Probably 6th best.
Midfielder? Outside of the top 6.
You could almost mount an argument as a back-up ruckman, but if you include Hudson, Roughy, Minson, Williams and Cordy, he's 193cm and lighter than Skipper - perhaps 6th best on our list.

His abilities as a player, and the value he adds to the team, aren't equal IMO.

Ozza
20-08-2010, 10:29 AM
I, like many of you, are mystified by the changes. I know there are likely 'late changes' to occur, and I know they are trying a few things perhaps before finals - but how Eagleton and Hahn could play is beyond me.

I'll admit I've been critical of Everitt at times - but I thought he was ok against Geelong all things considered - and replacing him with Hahn is a step backwards for everybody.

It seems Eagle is going to get another finals series to disappoint...after I was sure 2009 would be his last.

comrade
20-08-2010, 10:44 AM
It seems Eagle is going to get another finals series to disappoint...after I was sure 2009 would be his last.

What he served up last week against Geelong confirmed that we'll get another September full of Eagleton fail.

At least Hahn kicked up a couple of goals against Goddard last year (that's all I've got) :o

Greystache
20-08-2010, 10:56 AM

This reminds me of last year with Welsh, a mature player who'd lost his athletism and wasn't capable of playing his primary role in the team, yet kept his spot in the 22 to play bits and pieces roles in defense and across the forward line who in the end had virtually no impact. I see Hahn doing the same thing.

Greystache
20-08-2010, 11:03 AM
did anyone see Mitchplay at Willi last weekend? If so how was he moving, did he look slow or has he benefitted from his rest?

I did, he was very good. He played CHF when Willi were kicking with the wind and then floated as a loose man in defence when they were kicking into it. He moved substantially better than he was earlier in the year but he's never going to be overly athletic.

I do know that he feels the best he has since the NAB cup and thinks he'll be much better than he was before his break.

DOG GOD
20-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Best on paper means very little, particularly coming in to finals. I'd much prefer a team that was fit and raring to go, rather than trying to squeeze in players who were considered best 22 at the start of the year due to past deeds (and who have failed to perform throughout THIS year).

The proof will be in the pudding.

Well said Comrade. I totally agree that this is the case.

mjp
20-08-2010, 11:25 AM

Setting the Dr Dre thing to one side, Eagleton was our best player two weeks ago and I would have been pretty surprised if he was omitted.

Sockeye Salmon
20-08-2010, 11:28 AM
I did, he was very good. He played CHF when Willi were kicking with the wind and then floated as a loose man in defence when they were kicking into it. He moved substantially better than he was earlier in the year but he's never going to be overly athletic.

I do know that he feels the best he has since the NAB cup and thinks he'll be much better than he was before his break.

20 touches isn't a lot considering he was always around where the ball was, didn't have an opponent for half the game and we absolutely smashed them. It's not like he uses the ball like Luke Hodge.

Greystache
20-08-2010, 11:40 AM
20 touches isn't a lot considering he was always around where the ball was, didn't have an opponent for half the game and we absolutely smashed them. It's not like he uses the ball like Luke Hodge.

Stats are irrelevant, most overrated thing in modern football. The fact is he played very well. He kicked goals (2 according to sporting pulse although I'm 99% sure he actually kicked 3) had a hand in setting up several others, presented well up forward and then blocked space for the opposition forwards.

stefoid
20-08-2010, 11:47 AM
Everitt is a conundrum. He is a quality player, but what he offers the team is less than his total ability.

You could almost mount an argument as a back-up ruckman, but if you include Hudson, Roughy, Minson, Williams and Cordy, he's 193cm and lighter than Skipper - perhaps 6th best on our list.

At the moment, yeah, but he is improving. Hes 21yo and has a lot of talent. You dont trade guys like that unless you get a godfather offer.

LostDoggy
20-08-2010, 11:49 AM
What he served up last week against Geelong confirmed that we'll get another September full of Eagleton fail.

At least Hahn kicked up a couple of goals against Goddard last year (that's all I've got) :o

From memory Eagleton was just about BOG against the lions in the Semi last year - Not all fail in Sept- but when he goes missing he goes in a big way. Still agree he shouldn't be in the side - i guess he has been given 'another' final chance to redeem himself.

Mantis
20-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Setting the Dr Dre thing to one side, Eagleton was our best player two weeks ago and I would have been pretty surprised if he was omitted.

He justified his selection in Adelaide with a good game, but it should have been a horses for courses selection.

Last week was the atypical Eagle performance against a quality team and he shouldn't have been included again.

comrade
20-08-2010, 12:12 PM
From memory Eagleton was just about BOG against the lions in the Semi last year - Not all fail in Sept- but when he goes missing he goes in a big way. Still agree he shouldn't be in the side - i guess he has been given 'another' final chance to redeem himself.

Brisbane were going half rat power at that point - just another example of Eagle turning up when the heat is off. Remind me how he went the next week when we really needed someone to break it open?

stefoid
20-08-2010, 12:14 PM
Do we need to cover old ground - Eagleton plays well when we win well or when he is given space and time. This year, he is a mirror of the entire side - performs poorly under pressure.

Greystache
20-08-2010, 12:22 PM

Brisbane wasn't exactly a big final, they fell in the week before due to Carlton imploding and had run their race for the year (and look at them this year). It was a game we were always going to win (our usual consolation finals win) and the sort of match our serial big game flops play well in. Eagleton was poor in both finals against top quality sides

LostDoggy
20-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Brisbane wasn't exactly a big final, they fell in the week before due to Carlton imploding and had run their race for the year (and look at them this year). It was a game we were always going to win (our usual consolation finals win) and the sort of match our serial big game flops play well in. Eagleton was poor in both finals against top quality sides

Brisbane were going half rat power at that point - just another example of Eagle turning up when the heat is off. Remind me how he went the next week when we really needed someone to break it open?

Dont disagree with either of you - just responding to Comrades quote that it will be another September of Eagleton fail when in fact he did play well in that semi final.

He was shizen in prelim - probably worst on ground against the saints that night.

Mofra
20-08-2010, 12:44 PM
At the moment, yeah, but he is improving. Hes 21yo and has a lot of talent. You dont trade guys like that unless you get a godfather offer.
A trade would depend on what we were offered as a guess, but I can understand the fact that he is not in our best 22 this week or overall.

Mantis
20-08-2010, 02:15 PM
Lake will be out, so Williams at Full back and Hahn CHB.

Has that been confirmed or are you just hypothesising?

Hotdog60
20-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Everitt just needs to be patient, Eagle goes next year and Dre gets the wing roving role.

Scraggers
20-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Everitt just needs to be patient, Eagle goes next year and Dre gets the wing roving role.

Eagleton has only played 11 games this year ... In his absence, Everitt has not been given the 'wing roving role'

The Bulldogs Bite
20-08-2010, 07:58 PM

Harsh judgement IMO. You're basing opinion on the side from last year.

If we were 100% fit and firing, I'd probably agree with you. We aren't though. There's plenty of players injured or out of form.

Everitt should be ahead of Hahn, Ward, Higgins and Eagleton - that's my argument in a nutshell. Andrejs still has faults that he needs to work on, but he's not going to get better wondering around at Williamstown. I think he offers more than Jones does at this point in his young career too - but there's no reason why they can't both play. Then there's Rocco's argument about the second ruck, in which case Everitt would be ahead of Roughead and Minson as well.

It's pretty obvious that Everitt isn't given the same treatment as other players.

FrediKanoute
20-08-2010, 08:26 PM

Maybe. I think that with Everitt he like a really good bottle of wine. He will mature both physically and mentally and become a really, really good player. Sometimes you just need to do 2 things with some players:

1) Get games into them to give them the experience they need; and
2) Give them an extended run in the side to build up confidence

The worst aspect of the decision to drop Everitt is that he has done nothing to deserve being dropped.....he hasn't played badly, he hasn't underperformed compared to other players.....its a decision made for "match up" reasons which sees teammates retained who had absolute shockers!

Everitt will develop into a very, very, very good player, he just needs a little more confidence and a little more experience.

Sedat
20-08-2010, 09:44 PM
You could just as easily be talking about the 2008 finals series - woeful in the heat of the kitchen against Hawthorn, some quality finishing against Sydney (mostly when it was all over in the 4th), followed by rabbit in the headlights stuff against Geelong. That was 2 years ago, when Eagle was 2 years younger, quicker and actually had penetration with his kicking. He is a 2 year older version (with significantly diminished phisical gifts) of the player that failed on the big stage 2 years ago. He is not suddently going to magically morph into a line breaking gut running Craig Bradley at his peak.

comay
20-08-2010, 10:08 PM
I saw Lindsay Gilbee in St Albans primary this morning, just wonder if he playing tomorrow??

azabob
20-08-2010, 10:15 PM
I saw Lindsay Gilbee in St Albans primary this morning, just wonder if he playing tomorrow??

Realy? He hurt his shoulder at training. Will be a big loss on the small ground.

becmatty
21-08-2010, 12:13 AM
Lake is moving around well and should get up for the match.

LostDoggy
21-08-2010, 12:30 AM

Aaww thats my old primary school......

bornadog
21-08-2010, 12:23 PM

Roughead is getting ready to play with Willi (report from GVGjr), so maybe a late cahge, Everitt in Gilbee out.

Flamethrower
21-08-2010, 12:42 PM
Roughead is getting ready to play with Willi (report from GVGjr), so maybe a late cahge, Everitt in Gilbee out.

I just heard that Roughy has flown up to Sydney to play tonight. Don't know who to believe these days - I suppose we will just have to wait until Willy runs out at 1pm and the Dogs at 7.10.

GVGjr
21-08-2010, 12:45 PM
I just heard that Roughy has flown up to Sydney to play tonight. Don't know who to believe these days - I suppose we will just have to wait until Willy runs out at 1pm and the Dogs at 7.10.
He is in casual gear here at the moment. The guys seemed surprised to see him. He is the only one not in a track suit. If he has left, he has just left.

Mantis
21-08-2010, 01:13 PM
He is in casual gear here at the moment. The guys seemed surprised to see him. He is the only one not in a track suit. If he has left, he has just left.

He was in Sydney yesterday. Why would they fly him back to Melbourne to just fly straight back?

dogman
21-08-2010, 01:26 PM
He was definitely in Sydney yesterday and trained well with the team. Training finished at 5.30pm. Not sure if he flew back this morning but doubt it.

GVGjr
21-08-2010, 01:42 PM
He was in Sydney yesterday. Why would they fly him back to Melbourne to just fly straight back?

You might be in a better position to answer that but a big blond boy has just run onto the ground. He showed up in casual gear and initially every one seemed surprised to see him.

GVGjr
21-08-2010, 01:43 PM
He was definitely in Sydney yesterday and trained well with the team. Training finished at 5.30pm. Not sure if he flew back this morning but doubt it.

I might need glasses then.

bornadog
21-08-2010, 02:13 PM

Looks like no emergencies in Sydney, very strange decision.

dogman
21-08-2010, 02:13 PM
I might need glasses then.

You could be right. They probably bought him up to see how Lake pulled up at training. When he trained well they probably decided to fly Roughie back to get game time, for a possible call up next week.

LostDoggy
21-08-2010, 02:15 PM
Roughead Addison and Everitt all Playing for Willy. Hmmm!

bornadog
21-08-2010, 02:18 PM
You could be right. They probably bought him up to see how Lake pulled up at training. When he trained well they probably decided to fly Roughie back to get game time, for a possible call up next week.

They just said on the ABC that Roughead flew up to Sydney but returned due to Bradshaw not playing.

Looks like Lake will play and Williams to help in the ruck.

Rocco Jones
21-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Really hope Lake is right, would be crazy to risk him in a game where the four points are largely irrelevant.

bornadog
21-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Really hope Lake is right, would be crazy to risk him in a game where the four points are largely irrelevant.

You also got your wish with one ruckman;)

Rocco Jones
21-08-2010, 02:37 PM
You also got your wish with one ruckman;)

Haha, I did! I just wish Dre was there to give us a bit more flexibility with Williams.

I have been critical of Williams this season but I must admit I have really liked his last few weeks. I also like his ruck work. Unlike most part timers he doesn't treat it as an out and out chore and seems really committed to it physically and mentally.

bornadog
21-08-2010, 02:40 PM
Haha, I did! I just wish Dre was there to give us a bit more flexibility with Williams.

I have been critical of Williams this season but I must admit I have really liked his last few weeks. I also like his ruck work. Unlike most part timers he doesn't treat it as an out and out chore and seems really committed to it physically and mentally.

Dre is a little short for ruck work, whereas Williams has some size about him.
Talking about rucks, Roughead is playing foward in the first quarter at Willi, and kicked a nice goal.

aker39
21-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Lets hope nothing goes wrong with a player in Sydney between now and the start of the game.

Rocco Jones
21-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Dre is a little short for ruck work, whereas Williams has some size about him.

Totally agree with you that Williams is a superior option in the ruck to Dre, just that Williams is also a superior KP defensive option. Dre could free him up if he is doing well down back and don't want to break his momentum/match up. Either way not a massive concern nor a reason to keep someone in I guess. The amount of time Williams will spend in the ruck is only equal to about a quarter anyway.

LostDoggy
21-08-2010, 03:06 PM
lets hope nothing goes wrong with a player in sydney between now and the start of the game.

touch wood!

ReLoad
21-08-2010, 04:41 PM
I am concerned about our height down back, the swans are going to load up forward wise tonight, expect to see White, and Goodes playing twin towers.

Lake got through his sessions just fine so is ok to play, hence why the flew Roughy back.

I have a bad feeling about this game, a bad feeling indeed.

bornadog
21-08-2010, 04:57 PM
I am concerned about our height down back, the swans are going to load up forward wise tonight, expect to see White, and Goodes playing twin towers.

Lake got through his sessions just fine so is ok to play, hence why the flew Roughy back.

I have a bad feeling about this game, a bad feeling indeed.

WE WILL Win:)

GVGjr
21-08-2010, 05:12 PM

In the end it was probably a calculated decision not to let a player like Roughead miss a game of football. As it was, he had a good outing and he's ready to be picked next week and beyond if required.

divvydan
21-08-2010, 07:07 PM
Final Teams:

SYDNEY SWANS v WESTERN BULLDOGS
Sydney Swans
C: Brett Kirk, Jarrad McVeigh, Nick Smith
HF: Trent Dennis-Lane, Daniel Hannebery, Josh Kennedy
I/C: Lewis Jetta, Brett Meredith, Martin Mattner, Gary Rohan