PDA

View Full Version : Round 22 - WOOF Selection Table

becmatty
21-08-2010, 10:52 PM
Round 22 Vs Essendon

Are we rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic?

In: Minson/Roughead, Everitt, Hooper
Out: Cooney (hamstring), Johnson (achillies), Moles

Ward and Hahn will be lucky to hold their spots. Morris may also be in some doubt after a heavy collision late in the game.

LostDoggy
21-08-2010, 10:54 PM
I very much doubt Hooper will be selected.

GVGjr
21-08-2010, 10:56 PM
I very much doubt Hooper will be selected.

He's been fairly quiet over the last two weeks as well. With so many guys playing well today I think there would be a few ahead of him.

becmatty
21-08-2010, 11:02 PM
He's been fairly quiet over the last two weeks as well. With so many guys playing well today I think there would be a few ahead of him.

I'd like to see Hooper get a run. Our forward line looks predictable and I think he would inject some magic. We have played the fewest players than any other team in the league this season, and I believe this is to our detriment.

Hill and Stack have had their turns and Addison is not the answer moving forward. It's time for some youth and enthusiasm.

Hotdog60
21-08-2010, 11:06 PM
With Johnno maybe gone with injury, would Rose get the nod as a simular type player.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-08-2010, 11:08 PM
I'd like to see Hooper get a run. Our forward line looks predictable and I think he would inject some magic. We have played the fewest players than any other team in the league this season, and I believe this is to our detriment.

Hill and Stack have had their turns and Addison is not the answer moving forward. It's time for some youth and enthusiasm.

Fair enough, but given we are so out of form at the moment, is it really wise to add a bloke in - for his first game at that - when he isn't in the best of form himself?

GVGjr
21-08-2010, 11:12 PM

So form isn't a primary concern?

By the way, saying Addison, Stack and Hill need not to be considered because we need youth is a little surprising.

becmatty
21-08-2010, 11:16 PM
Fair enough, but given we are so out of form at the moment, is it really wise to add a bloke in - for his first game at that - when he isn't in the best of form himself?

So do we persist with the blokes that we have on the paddock, despite two successive smashings?

Personally, I'd like to think that blooding Hooper is a vote for the future, rather than accepting ineptitude from our more experienced players.

It is grim to think that we are approaching a finals series with so much uncertainty.

GVGjr
21-08-2010, 11:18 PM
Personally, I'd like to think that blooding Hooper is a vote for the future, rather than accepting ineptitude from our more experienced players.

It is grim to think that we are approaching a finals series with so much uncertainty.

Why look to the future when the finals are right at the door? Surely playing the guys that have some form to support a good outing isn't a flawed notion?

becmatty
21-08-2010, 11:21 PM

By the way, saying Addison, Stack and Hill need not to be considered because we need youth is a little surprising.

It's not so much youth, but rather a fresh approach. Addison, Hill and Stack are young, but they have struggled to stand up when the heat is turned up. Are they part of our long-term plans? I would argue no, and therefore would push Hooper up the pecking order to see how he responds. He is a talent, and with an opportunity arising through injury, this may just be the chance he needs...

The Underdog
21-08-2010, 11:22 PM
So do we persist with the blokes that we have on the paddock, despite two successive smashings?

Blooding a bloke for the future when we're going into Rd 22 before a finals series seems contradictory to me. We can blood him in round 1 next year.

By the way if you want a forward who's going to provide magic go for Stack, he won't do it often but he's more likely to supply magic than Hooper who's more like a "bulldog" than a creative forward type. He's also not likely to give more input than Hahn, Eagleton or any others.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-08-2010, 11:24 PM

I don't think you are considering things logically here.

Do we have a form issue- Yes.
Do we need to bring in another guy, for his first game no less, who is not in sparkling form himself?
Is that the best way to introduce a young guy especially if there are others at Willy who are playing better?

And yes it is concerning that yet again we approach September in poor form, however we have recovered before from such a position heading into the finals to end up making a Prelimary final.
Round 22 when you are going to play finals footy - with a double chance no less- is not the time to start thinking about next year. That is not the way a professional sports team goes about things.

becmatty
21-08-2010, 11:28 PM
Why look to the future when the finals are right at the door? Surely playing the guys that have some form to support a good outing isn't a flawed notion?

Unfortunately, we have many players who are in and out of form. Up until the Cats game, we were world beaters for six weeks and then suddenly, nobody wants to know about the Bulldogs.

Similarly, Hooper has been inconsistent, as you might expect for a young pup. His best can be electrifying though. I think a call up to the big stage would be a boost to him and also a statement to the senior players.

...What changes would you make this week?

AndrewP6
21-08-2010, 11:30 PM

Beat me to it. :)

becmatty
21-08-2010, 11:48 PM
Blooding a bloke for the future when we're going into Rd 22 before a finals series seems contradictory to me. We can blood him in round 1 next year.

By the way if you want a forward who's going to provide magic go for Stack, he won't do it often but he's more likely to supply magic than Hooper who's more like a "bulldog" than a creative forward type. He's also not likely to give more input than Hahn, Eagleton or any others.

I agree, Hooper is a wildcard, but why not give him a week and see how he goes?

Unlike Stack, Hooper is not afraid to put his head over the ball - he is a gem of a contested mark and has an explosive turn of pace.

LostDoggy
22-08-2010, 12:01 AM
Didn't Stack have his first game back from injury? I don't think he should come in and as for Hooper, not this year I dont think the forward line need a scare or wake up call. I'm all for bringing in spark but not in R.22. I think we need Harbrow down there.

bornadog
22-08-2010, 01:43 AM

Unlike Stack, Hooper is not afraid to put his head over the ball - he is a gem of a contested mark and has an explosive turn of pace.

Not ready for AFL, does that answer your question?

EasternWest
22-08-2010, 01:58 AM

Couldn't disagree with you more here Underdog. I've seen nothing from Stack to suggest any form of wizardry at all. Of course I stand to be corrected, but I'd be amazed on what we've got so far if his contract is renewed when it's due.

Go_Dogs
22-08-2010, 02:05 AM
Could Howard be a possible inclusion this week?

GVGjr
22-08-2010, 08:09 AM

I suppose Howard and Hooper might be in the mix but they are not selections I would make.

Greystache
22-08-2010, 10:39 AM
Similarly, Hooper has been inconsistent, as you might expect for a young pup. His best can be electrifying though. I think a call up to the big stage would be a boost to him and also a statement

Are you talking about the same Andrew Hooper who plays at Williamstown? Have you actually seen him play?

I couldn't agree less the he's an electrifying, gem of a contested mark, with an explosive burst of pace. He's a nuggety in and under type, who's smart and knows where to position himself to get on the end of a piece of play. He's anything but a X factor type.

Greystache
22-08-2010, 10:42 AM
I suppose Howard and Hooper might be in the mix but they are not selections I would make.

Nor would I, I do like the look of Howard though, decent size, quick, and obviously a good kick. Is it just me or does he look a lot like Luke Power out on the ground.

GVGjr
22-08-2010, 10:45 AM
Nor would I, I do like the look of Howard though, decent size, quick, and obviously a good kick. Is it just me or does he look a lot like Luke Power out on the ground.

It's not just you. I think someone asked me a while back who Howard's kicking reminded me of and I mentioned Power.

It's a shame he had an interrupted pre-season because he just seems to be light on for match fitness.

Greystache
22-08-2010, 10:56 AM
It's not just you. I think someone asked me a while back who Howard's kicking reminded me of and I mentioned Power.

It's a shame he had an interrupted pre-season because he just seems to be light on for match fitness.

Yeah he's definitely short of a run at the moment, the injury hasn't helped, but he probably didn't come with a great base either considering he didn't play at the elite level in juniors. I'm not too bothered about this year for him, a career is a long time, I just want to see that our young players have talent and can develop into good AFL players and so far I like the look of Howard.

LostDoggy
22-08-2010, 12:18 PM
We have players in the team that won't get a place in any other team in the top 8. Guys like Hahn, Eagleton and Moles would not push anyone out. Even guys like Gilbee, Johnson and Hargrave would be fringe 22 for any other top 8 team. Thats more than a quarter of the team who would struggle for a regular spot in another top 8 side, let alone our team which is a premiership aspirant.

Unless there's something generally wrong with the group such as flu or whatever that we are not privy to, then I think we are done. There's just too many holes in the team. It's not a matter of missing another tall defender, or a power forward, or a crumbing goal sneak. We have gone backwards this year whereas other teams have moved forward putting the cup out of our grasp again.

Stalwarts like Gilbee, Hargrave, Gia, Hahn, Murphy, even Cross and Boyd to an extent have underperformed this year and though still good players, are not as dominant as we need our core to be to be a contender. It should be noted that they will be around 29year olds next year. It might be time for a mini-rebuild at the end of the year and we consider trading off a few.

If we get smashed by Collingwood in the first final, I hope we give the kids a go in the second final in preparation for next year. But it does sound like Eade wants to stick with his proven performers and I quote - "It's time for our 100+ games players to stand up".

bornadog
22-08-2010, 12:24 PM
We have players in the team that won't get a place in any other team in the top 8. Guys like Hahn, Eagleton and Moles would not push anyone out. Even guys like Gilbee, Johnson and Hargrave would be fringe 22 for any other top 8 team. Thats more than a quarter of the team who would struggle for a regular spot in another top 8 side, let alone our team which is a premiership aspirant.

Unless there's something generally wrong with the group such as flu or whatever that we are not privy to, then I think we are done. There's just too many holes in the team. It's not a matter of missing another tall defender, or a power forward, or a crumbing goal sneak. We have gone backwards this year whereas other teams have moved forward putting the cup out of our grasp again.

Stalwarts like Gilbee, Hargrave, Gia, Hahn, Murphy, even Cross and Boyd to an extent have underperformed this year and though still good players, are not as dominant as we need our core to be to be a contender. It should be noted that they will be around 29year olds next year. It might be time for a mini-rebuild at the end of the year and we consider trading off a few.

If we get smashed by Collingwood in the first final, I hope we give the kids a go in the second final in preparation for next year. But it does sound like Eade wants to stick with his proven performers and I quote - "It's time for our 100+ games players to stand up".

You make some good points but I can't agree that Gia has underperformed this year. Yes he had a shocker last night, but he has been in great form.

Jasper
22-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Couldn't disagree with you more here Underdog. I've seen nothing from Stack to suggest any form of wizardry at all. Of course I stand to be corrected, but I'd be amazed on what we've got so far if his contract is renewed when it's due.

You are so wrong here....What about Stacky's magical vanishing trick when its time to put his head over the ball or take any physical pressure??;)

Mofra
22-08-2010, 03:11 PM
Looks like a very talented child playing against men in the VFL. Not ready yet for me.

Pickenitup
22-08-2010, 09:24 PM
In Roughead Everitt Callan
Out Cooney Johnson Hahn
Callan couldprovide much needed toughness in backline and would free up Harbrow to
play on the ball and give us much needed pace in the middle.
Would consider Rose to come in but not sure we can get him on the senior list

AndrewP6
22-08-2010, 09:35 PM
In Roughead Everitt Callan
Out Cooney Johnson Hahn
Callan couldprovide much needed toughness in backline and would free up Harbrow to
play on the ball and give us much needed pace in the middle.
Would consider Rose to come in but not sure we can get him on the senior list

Callan's first game of the season in Round 22? Big call. Not sure I'd back him in...

chef
22-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Callan's first game of the season in Round 22? Big call. Not sure I'd back him in...

He always comes back in for the finals:D(if only he could keep his feet in contests)

But seriously he should be considered to come back in as this would allow Harbrow to push up into the midfield and inject some the pace that cooney's absence has remove.

IN Roughead, Minson, Everitt, Addison and Callan

OUT Cooney, Johnno, Hahn, Moles and Hudson(have a feeling he's going to get suspended)

LostDoggy
22-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Will Morris be ok ?

becmatty
22-08-2010, 10:06 PM
Are you talking about the same Andrew Hooper who plays at Williamstown? Have you actually seen him play?

I couldn't agree less the he's an electrifying, gem of a contested mark, with an explosive burst of pace. He's a nuggety in and under type, who's smart and knows where to position himself to get on the end of a piece of play. He's anything but a X factor type.

Sorry Greystache, but perhaps I should refer you to the club's assessment with Hooper's biography.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/players/playerprofile/andrewhooper/tabid/9150/playerid/21699/category/rookie/season/2010/selected/bio/default.aspx

And here is the description on the club webite for Hooper:

The former North Ballarat Rebels TAC Cup star is lightning quick – he finished third in the 20m sprint (2.90sec) at the Draft Camp – and led Vic Country in contested marks.

lemmon
22-08-2010, 10:15 PM
No doubt we are in deep trouble if this were round 12, I'd be supportive of playing Hooper/Howard but it's too big a risk to throw a kid into a big final and expect he perform. Its time to turn to experience and hope they stand up.
Out-Cooney, Johnson, Jones (has done nothing wrong, will be a gun but will be eaten alive by the Pies backline)
In- Everitt, Minson, Hill

GVGjr
22-08-2010, 10:33 PM
Sorry Greystache, but perhaps I should refer you to the club's assessment with Hooper's biography.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/players/playerprofile/andrewhooper/tabid/9150/playerid/21699/category/rookie/season/2010/selected/bio/default.aspx

The former North Ballarat Rebels TAC Cup star is lightning quick – he finished third in the 20m sprint (2.90sec) at the Draft Camp – and led Vic Country in contested marks.

He also finished ahead of the likes of Gary Rohan in both the agility and sprint tests and yet still got overlooked in the National Draft. With the football in his hands he just isn't as quick as those draft camp results might indicate. He's a solid footballer and he might be in the mix but his real strength is probably his footy smarts over his athletic prowess.

Go_Dogs
22-08-2010, 10:34 PM

I read a brief profile Wisbey did on Dal Santo a few days ago and it sounded a lot like how I think Howard's would read at the moment - hopefully they can develop similarly in some aspects :D

Could that be a good comparison?

Here is what he wrote for those interested:

*Dal Santo Clever wing/hbf/onballer best suited to a tagger or defence role on a not over quick opponent. Excellent finisher but I've rated him probably lower than most because he lacks pace, is one sided, and is neither a physically strong in and under type or a ball magnet, and is not especially strong overhead. When you are just under 6', I think you need more going for you.

lemmon
22-08-2010, 10:38 PM
I read a brief profile Wisbey did on Dal Santo a few days ago and it sounded a lot like how I think Howard's would read at the moment - hopefully they can develop similarly in some aspects :D

*Dal Santo Clever wing/hbf/onballer best suited to a tagger or defence role on a not over quick opponent. Excellent finisher but I've rated him probably lower than most because he lacks pace, is one sided, and is neither a physically strong in and under type or a ball magnet, and is not especially strong overhead. When you are just under 6', I think you need more going for you.

I think Howard may end up being quite adept at winning his own footy, he's not of the Eagleton mold of being a purely outside receiver.

Bumper Bulldogs
22-08-2010, 10:41 PM
No doubt we are in deep trouble if this were round 12, I'd be supportive of playing Hooper/Howard but it's too big a risk to throw a kid into a big final and expect he perform. Its time to turn to experience and hope they stand up.
Out-Cooney, Johnson, Jones (has done nothing wrong, will be a gun but will be eaten alive by the Pies backline)
In- Everitt, Minson, Hill

Sorry but did Hill play for Willi this week. I only saw the first 1/2 and he didn't get a kick.

From what I saw Minson, Roughy & Everitt had good games.

Greystache
22-08-2010, 10:41 PM

Haha that's exactly what I expected. So you've read a profile and saw he kicked some goals so decide he's our answer. Just re-confirms to me you have absolutely no idea.

The Coon Dog
22-08-2010, 10:43 PM
Haha that's exactly what I expected. So you've read a profile and saw he kicked some goals so decide he's our answer. Just re-confirms to me you have absolutely no idea.

And its only taken you how long? ;)

lemmon
22-08-2010, 10:44 PM
Sorry but did Hill play for Willi this week. I only saw the first 1/2 and he didn't get a kick.

From what I saw Minson, Roughy & Everitt had good games.

He played but was far from convinving, I think we need the small forward and have gone Hill over Stack only because he has finals experience and the cupboard is extremely bare. I wouldnt want to be debuting a kid and the only other option was to perhaps play Addison as a small defensive forward, a massive risk seeing as he hasn't done it before.

GVGjr
22-08-2010, 10:47 PM

It's hard to say what sort of footballer he might develop into. A comparison to Dal Santo is a lofty one. What I do believe is our forwards would like to have the ball in his hands if was was on a wing or in the middle. He would give them a good chance of having their leads honored.

Bumper Bulldogs
22-08-2010, 11:01 PM
He played but was far from convinving, I think we need the small forward and have gone Hill over Stack only because he has finals experience and the cupboard is extremely bare. I wouldnt want to be debuting a kid and the only other option was to perhaps play Addison as a small defensive forward, a massive risk seeing as he hasn't done it before.

It a shame as with all the injury's it looks like Hill is not interested in playing for the seniors. I think it was the second 1/4 when Everitt handballs over the top and the ball almost got away from Josh. He got his foot to it for a goal but he didn't look to pumped and was just going through the motions. Surly someone can sit him down and get something to click between the ears as from accounts after a rocky start to the preseason he came good.

Cant understand what's gone wrong.

lemmon
22-08-2010, 11:07 PM
It a shame as with all the injury's it looks like Hill is not interested in playing for the seniors. I think it was the second 1/4 when Everitt handballs over the top and the ball almost got away from Josh. He got his foot to it for a goal but he didn't look to pumped and was just going through the motions. Surly someone can sit him down and get something to click between the ears as from accounts after a rocky start to the preseason he came good.

Cant understand what's gone wrong.

Who knows, perhaps the Aker thing is affecting him?

LostDoggy
22-08-2010, 11:53 PM
I thought this thread was about Round 22 when I think we play Essendon, don't we? Some people are confusing Collingwood with Essendon I presume!!! We need to win this week to get some confidence up. I would definitely like to see Everitt and Roughead in the team at the very least and Stack did a couple of very nice things in the last quarter for Willy yesterday.

becmatty
23-08-2010, 08:22 AM

This thread is about team selections. It is my opinion that Hooper is a chance for selection. Based on games I have seen him play, I rate him as a very quick and tough player and an excellent mark. For reasons unknown to me, you disagree. I then referred you to a club link, which backs up my observations. But rather than conceed, your response is to throw out a lame insult.

Mate, I think you'd better stick to discussing footy, and less with personal comments.

...Back to the thread - Ins and Outs...

Greystache
23-08-2010, 09:49 AM
This thead is about team selections. It is my opinion that Hooper is a chance for selection. Based on games I have seen him play, I rate him as a very quick and tough player and an excellent mark. For reasons unknown to me, you disagree. I then referred you to a club link, which backs up my observations. But rather than conceed, your response is to throw out a lame insult.

Mate, I think you'd better stick to discussing footy, and less with personal comments.

...Back to the thread - Ins and Outs...

How about then for the first time you give YOUR opinion rather than just regurgitating the comments of others (such as the coach, the online player profiles, what the media say) and claiming them as your own. You never know, you may even get one right eventually!

bornadog
23-08-2010, 09:51 AM
In: Minson, Everitt, Stack

Out: Cooney, Johnno and Jones

G-Mo77
23-08-2010, 10:46 AM
I haven't seen the game from Saturday night, I'm actually quite glad I missed it but I've heard Hudson could be suspended.

What happened?

Desipura
23-08-2010, 11:20 AM
In: Roughy & Stack
Out: Johnno & Cooney

PS BecMatty, were you known as Grandblue on another forum???????

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 11:51 AM
In: Roughie, Everitt, Rose or Hooper
Outs: Jones, Johnson Cooney

Oh also IN SOME HEART!!!

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 12:25 PM

Oh also IN SOME HEART!!!

Dont think your gonna get HEART by taking out Jonesy!

Greystache
23-08-2010, 12:39 PM
BecMatty, were you known as Grandblue on another forum???????

:D

In- Roughead, Addison,
Out- Cooney, Johnson

Really need Wood back, hope his hamstring is coming along. Pace is going to be an issue against Collingwood, especially with Cooney out, not such an issue against Essendon who aren't a quick team despite that perception in the media.

bornadog
23-08-2010, 12:41 PM

Oh also IN SOME HEART!!!

I doubt the MC will be picking players for round 22, that have not played senior footy.

They will be thinking of the finals and who can stand up for us.

That means they only have the following to choose from:

Roughead
Minson
Everitt
Stack
Hill
Callan
Addison

Injured List

Wood
Cooney
Johnno
Higgins

Desipura
23-08-2010, 12:44 PM
:D

In- Roughead, Addison,
Out- Cooney, Johnson

Really need Wood back, hope his hamstring is coming along. Pace is going to be an issue against Collingwood, especially with Cooney out, not such an issue against Essendon who aren't a quick team despite that perception in the media.
Woodie was on TAC Cup program and said he should be bacvk for the 1st final.

Desipura
23-08-2010, 12:45 PM
I doubt the MC will be picking players for round 22, that have not played senior footy.

They will be thinking of the finals and who can stand up for us.

That means they only have the following to choose from:

Roughead
Minson
Everitt
Stack
Hill
Callan
Addison

Injured List

Wood
Cooney
Johnno
No Higgins on injured list?

bornadog
23-08-2010, 12:45 PM
No Higgins on injured list?

Whoops, I will adjust:o

Bulldog Joe
23-08-2010, 01:01 PM
With Cooney and Johnson out injured, I would also drop Hahn.

Everitt replaces Hahn as he can do everything Hahn does, and will get more of the ball. He is not as good one on one but he will be at more contests or making space for uncontested possession.

I would replace Cooney with Addison and let him go to Watson. I think Dylan is good enough defensively to take Watson out of the game and matched him well physically. I would be looking for him to play a similar role on Pendlebury the week after. Neither Watson or Pendlebury are quick. Dylan can negate them.

Johnson to be replaced by Minson. Will is the better ruck option over Roughead. This would also bring Murphy/Gilbee forward in Johnson's position.

So for me

IN
Minson, Everitt, Addison

OUT
Cooney, Johnson (both inj) and Hahn

Greystache
23-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Woodie was on TAC Cup program and said he should be bacvk for the 1st final.

I missed that, thanks Desi. Good news if he is, I think he's got a big role to play in September.

SlimPickens
23-08-2010, 01:12 PM
Johnson to be replaced by Minson. Will is the better ruck option over Roughead. This would also bring Murphy/Gilbee forward in Johnson's position.

I disagree with this. Roughead imo has passed Will as our second best ruck option. The simple reason is Roughy can clunk a mark, whereas Will really struggles. I think resting Roughy forward may stretch the bombers and the pies to some extent for height, especially this week (Pears & Fletcher won't play).

I would like to see Patty Rose given a run, he would be a good replacement for Johnno and his form has been excellent at Willi.

Outs: Cooney, BJ, Hahn

Ins. Addison, Roughy and Rose

mighty_west
23-08-2010, 01:20 PM
In : Roughead, Everitt, Rose

Out : Cooney, Johnson, Hahn

mighty_west
23-08-2010, 01:36 PM
The alternative for me would be, Leave out Everitt & bring in Stack, use Stack as a rebounding defender [he has played that role at Willy], and Harbrow into the midfield to cover Cooney's loss, and just give Stack free licence to play his game, take the shackles off & run & run.................

GVGjr
23-08-2010, 01:36 PM

Can Rose be upgraded?

mighty_west
23-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Can Rose be upgraded?

I hope so.

Cordy on the long term [Moles], is Thorne still also on the LTI list? Is Aker officially cut from the list to allow an upgrade?

chef
23-08-2010, 02:09 PM
I hope so.

Cordy on the long term [Moles], is Thorne still also on the LTI list? Is Aker officially cut from the list to allow an upgrade?

I thought we could only upgrade two Rookies(Moles and Hooper) as we have two Vets(Johnno and Eagleton). If we didn't have the Vets than we could upgrade up to four Rookies depending on LTI's, is this correct?

Aker would still be counted as being on the list.

mighty_west
23-08-2010, 02:25 PM
I thought we could only upgrade two Rookies(Moles and Hooper) as we have two Vets(Johnno and Eagleton). If we didn't have the Vets than we could upgrade up to four Rookies depending on LTI's, is this correct?

Aker would still be counted as being on the list.

Well if that is the case, the upgrade of Hooper could bite us on the bum, considering he was never played [even though i'm a big fan of Hoops], but ever since he was upgraded, his form at Willy has taken a nosedive, where's Rose has been back to his best, and i can't see why he couldn't take that next step, like with Pods & Barlow, what he lacks in pace is erased by his footy smarts.

Bulldog Joe
23-08-2010, 02:49 PM

I disagree with this. Roughead imo has passed Will as our second best ruck option. The simple reason is Roughy can clunk a mark, whereas Will really struggles. I think resting Roughy forward may stretch the bombers and the pies to some extent for height, especially this week (Pears & Fletcher won't play).

I would like to see Patty Rose given a run, he would be a good replacement for Johnno and his form has been excellent at Willi.

Outs: Cooney, BJ, Hahn

Ins. Addison, Roughy and Rose

Well you may say you disagree, but your point does not.
What your explanation does is suggest that Roughy is a more dangerous forward because of superior marking.
I do agree that Roughy looks more likely to take a mark, BUT Will still actually takes as many or more and Will gets more of the ball. He is DEFINITELY the better RUCK of the 2 at this point.

bornadog
23-08-2010, 02:59 PM
What your explanation does is suggest that Roughy is a more dangerous forward because of superior marking.
I do agree that Roughy looks more likely to take a mark, BUT Will still actually takes as many or more and Will gets more of the ball. He is DEFINITELY the better RUCK of the 2 at this point.

Agree, was better on the weekend as well.

Nuggety Back Pocket
23-08-2010, 03:04 PM

I agree with these changes but if Rose is ineligible then we could do worse than elevate Hooper as we have lacked a crumbing forward all year. I would also start Roughhead at centre half forward with Murphy and Grant on the forward flanks, leaving Jones to get confidence alongside Hall in a forward pocket. Everitt as he proved against Collingwood late last year could then become the second string ruckman. Cooney is the big loss which will demand more from the likes of Ward, Moles and Giansircusa.
Our MC needs to become more innovative if we are to succeed in the finals. I should add also that our midfield needs to play more accountable football keeping in mind the likes of Pendlebury, Swan and Didak, in preparation for our first final.

mighty_west
23-08-2010, 03:14 PM
I agree with these changes but if Rose is ineligible then we could do worse than elevate Hooper as we have lacked a crumbing forward all year. I would also start Roughhead at centre half forward with Murphy and Grant on the forward flanks, leaving Jones to get confidence alongside Hall in a forward pocket. Everitt as he proved against Collingwood late last year could then become the second string ruckman. Cooney is the big loss which will demand more from the likes of Ward, Moles and Giansircusa.
Our MC needs to become more innovative if we are to succeed in the finals. I should add also that our midfield needs to play more accountable football keeping in mind the likes of Pendlebury, Swan and Didak, in preparation for our first final.

As much as i'd love to see Hooper get a game, was hoping he'd play around the time he was elevated, i'd probably be more inclined with going in with the most "in form" players right now, even though the Bombers game SHOULD be a comfortable win, go in with as close to the side to take on the finals.

I'd also leave Murph down back, with Wood still out & wanting Harbrow to play in the middle [with the absense of Cooney], Murph's run out of defense is vital imo, we won't have Cooney for at least 3 weeks, do thats the way i'd like us to go, when Wood comes back, then we could porobably move Murph around a bit more.

SlimPickens
23-08-2010, 03:21 PM

I hear what your saying, and Will may get more of the ball. He had a big chance against the cats the other week to show something and did not. Roughead on the other hand did show a little in a very ordinary team effort.

There are other sides to Wills game that do concern me, being the silly free kicks he gives away, his poor disposal and his inability to take a contested mark in the forward 50. I have seen him play at Willy and unfotunantly he doesn't seem to be converting that form to good AFL performances.

For one reasons or another Will has had a very poor season (maybe the interupted pre-season), and at this stage i think Roughead has gone past him. I really thought this year was going to be big for Will and have been very disappointed by the performance he has served up.

SlimPickens
23-08-2010, 03:24 PM
As much as i'd love to see Hooper get a game, was hoping he'd play around the time he was elevated, i'd probably be more inclined with going in with the most "in form" players right now, even though the Bombers game SHOULD be a comfortable win, go in with as close to the side to take on the finals.

I'd also leave Murph down back, with Wood still out & wanting Harbrow to play in the middle [with the absense of Cooney], Murph's run out of defense is vital imo, we won't have Cooney for at least 3 weeks, do thats the way i'd like us to go, when Wood comes back, then we could porobably move Murph around a bit more.

Couldn't agree more Murph down back will be vital against the pies. We need to drive hard off the half back line against them. Collingwood have a lot of front runners in their team, so efffective rebound will be crucial to beating them.

bornadog
23-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Ok, we need to rethink the selections.

Out Cooney, Johnno, Morris

In: Everitt, Addison, Minson

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Out: Johnson, Cooney, Morris (possibly Jones)

Ins: Minson, Everitt, Addison

I think we'll go with Minson over Roughead for this week, and the finals simply because he has finals experience. I also think Jones will be replaced for the finals by a smaller forward (most likely Higgins if he's ready). On a side note, i think if Everitt gets overlooked for the finals again this year, especially with our injuries that he'd probably ask for a trade.

G-Mo77
23-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Ok, we need to rethink the selections.

Out Cooney, Johnno, Morris

In: Everitt, Addison, Minson

I think that is what will happen. Some have suggested Hudson may get a week suspension as well so Roughead straight in for him if that is the case.

SlimPickens
23-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Everitt for Morris.

Wasn't Markovic recruited for when one of our key defenders went down.:p

mighty_west
23-08-2010, 03:50 PM
I think that is what will happen. Some have suggested Hudson may get a week suspension as well so Roughead straight in for him if that is the case.

You can't be suspended for bumping the shoulder, the head is a no go zone, and Huddo clearly missed the head.

G-Mo77
23-08-2010, 03:53 PM
You can't be suspended for bumping the shoulder, the head is a no go zone, and Huddo clearly missed the head.

Haven't seen it so I'm just going on what others have said.

Desipura
23-08-2010, 03:58 PM
Got news that Fantasia stated on SEN that Cooney will be out for 5 weeks with Morris gone for 2 weeks.

In: Roughy, Stack, Everitt
Out: Cooney, Morris & Johnno and our season!

Greystache
23-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Everitt for Morris.

Wasn't Markovic recruited for when one of our key defenders went down.:p

He was indeed, unfortunately he makes Will Minson look like Jarred Brennan. We must have not seen him live before deciding to recruit him, could be the only explanation.

bornadog
23-08-2010, 04:01 PM
He was indeed, unfortunately he makes Will Minson look like Jarred Brennan. We must have not seen him live before deciding to recruit him, could be the only explanation.

We really stuffed up last years draft and Markovic heads the list along with Thorne and maybe a few others.

chef
23-08-2010, 04:03 PM
We really stuffed up last years draft and Markovic heads the list along with Thorne and maybe a few others.

Clayton was always going to be a hard man to replace.

Desipura
23-08-2010, 04:04 PM
A bit harsh on Thorne, what has he done wrong apart from get injured early in the year?

G-Mo77
23-08-2010, 04:09 PM
Timmy Callan any chance now?

Desipura
23-08-2010, 04:10 PM
you would think so especially if Davis plays (which I am sure he will) as he always kills us!

bornadog
23-08-2010, 04:13 PM
A bit harsh on Thorne, what has he done wrong apart from get injured early in the year?

His attitude.

bornadog

Addison is a better bet.

Desipura
His attitude.
see Jarrad Grant 12 months ago

Greystache
23-08-2010, 04:20 PM

He makes Jarrad Grant look like Daniel Cross.

I'm on a roll here, who else you got I'll pot them too!;)

bornadog
23-08-2010, 04:23 PM

Not even close, at least Jarrad wants to play AFL.

Ozza
23-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Out: Cooney; Morris; Johnson;
In: Roughead, Everitt; and I guess one of Addison, Hill or Stack...none are really ideal...Addison appears to have been in the best form of these.

Ward is really battling. Hahn is really battling. Jones is ok but obviously very green. We're in a bad spot.

mighty_west
23-08-2010, 05:24 PM

Grant 3 years ago & Thorne are poles apart.

lemmon
23-08-2010, 05:38 PM
His attitude.

Really? I remember reading he was super committed to make the most of his chance with a young family etc

Greystache
23-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Really? I remember reading he was super committed to make the most of his chance with a young family etc

Talk is cheap, some people aren't looking for a chance they're looking for a free ride.

GVGjr
23-08-2010, 06:41 PM
I hope so.

I don't think you can upgrade from round 18 and Akermanis doesn't count because he isn't injured.

azabob
23-08-2010, 06:58 PM
IN: Roughead, Addison, Everitt,

OUT: Morris, Cooney, Johnson,

GVGjr
23-08-2010, 07:26 PM
IN: Roughead, Addison, Everitt,

OUT: Morris, Cooney, Johnson,

I agree with the 3 ins but also think there might be at least one more. That might come down to either Jones or Hahn.

comrade
23-08-2010, 07:27 PM
I agree with the 3 ins but also think there might be at least one more. That might come down to either Jones or Hahn.

So Jones is gone then?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-08-2010, 07:30 PM

Given Jones is one of those rare Bulldog forwards at the moment who is willing/able to effectively chase and put some defensive pressure on the opposition defenders, I sure hope the MC do not retain Hahn this week.

GVGjr
23-08-2010, 07:32 PM
So Jones is gone then?

:) Not for form but more for balance. Hahn does seem to be a hard one for the match committee to drop. Who would be game to deliver that message to him? :D

GVGjr
23-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Given Jones is one of those rare Bulldog forwards at the moment who is willing/able to effectively chase and put some defensive pressure on the opposition defenders, I sure hope the MC do not retain Hahn this week.

If you need to add another ruckman then we also need to add some extra run. With that in mind it would have to a decision between Hahn or Jones. Which way do you think the match committee will go?

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 07:43 PM
:) Not for form but more for balance. Hahn does seem to be a hard one for the match committee to drop. Who would be game to deliver that message to him? :D

Send Barry. Remember last time we got close Mitch?? :D

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 07:45 PM
Regardless of Matchups for the Bombers I think we should choose the team that will face the Pies and at least try and go into the Finals without a change. We need to settle.

comrade
23-08-2010, 07:46 PM

I would and then run so he couldn't catch me.

PS. I'm not very fast.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-08-2010, 07:47 PM
If you need to add another ruckman then we also need to add some extra run. With that in mind it would have to a decision between Hahn or Jones. Which way do you think the match committee will go?

Well yes... that does seem like a dilemma.... a shame there isn't another solution.

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 07:47 PM
Why not go tall against Collingwood, if we can back ourselves and actually hit targets we could really stretch them, most of the worry seems to be the rebound from defence. I know its a bit of an 80s viewpoint but the element of surprise could work in our favour. Anyway Liam Jones looks to be one of the fastest and best tacklers down there at the moment...

GVGjr
23-08-2010, 07:48 PM
I would and then run so he couldn't catch me.

PS. I'm not very fast.

Your love of the MMA would no doubt help you to quickly get into the fetal position if he did catch you.

azabob
23-08-2010, 07:49 PM

Who would you bring in as the fourth Stack, Hill or?

GVGjr
23-08-2010, 07:50 PM
So do would you bring in Stack, Hill or?

Not sure but maybe Callan.

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 08:03 PM
I think we should fill Hill full of psuedoephedrine and send him out.

boydogs
23-08-2010, 10:02 PM
Here's my 2c, done with September in mind - no point in letting Eagle & Hahn beat up on the Bombers unless it's for a farewell game. Our only hope is to put fit players out there that have a chance of succeeding in September - no carrying sore bodies, slow players or open space specialists

Out: Cooney (inj), In: Addison, as a tagger - Picken defensive forward, Gia to the middle
Out: Johnson (inj), In: Everitt
Out: Morris (inj), In: Markovic
Out: Ward (underdone), In: Hooper
Out: Eagleton (no good in finals), In: Hill
Out: Hahn (too slow, liability on the rebound), In: Roughead

GVGjr
23-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Here's my 2c, done with September in mind - no point in letting Eagle & Hahn beat up on the Bombers unless it's for a farewell game. Our only hope is to put fit players out there that have a chance of succeeding in September - no carrying sore bodies, slow players or open space specialists

Out: Cooney (inj), In: Addison, as a tagger - Picken defensive forward, Gia to the middle

We lose pace on just about every line there.

boydogs
23-08-2010, 10:28 PM
We lose pace on just about every line there.

Cooney & Morris yes but who else do we bring in, they are not being omitted. The others are around the same IMO, Hahn is the only one dropped for pace as we can't have him and the resting ruck down there

Greystache
23-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Cooney & Morris yes but who else do we bring in, they are not being omitted. The others are around the same IMO, Hahn is the only one dropped for pace as we can't have him and the resting ruck down there

Put it this way, Mitch Hahn is substantially quicker than Lukas Markovic and not much smaller.

GVGjr
23-08-2010, 10:35 PM

It just looks we get a lot bigger and a fair bit slower which won't be ideal.

Who would you see Markovic matching up on?

Rocco Jones
23-08-2010, 10:40 PM
Markovic seems like a "he must be better than the crap we have at the moment" type call. Unfortunately, he isn't.

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 10:54 PM

OK

maybe... with a big teaspoon of can give a rats

No

Morris out for Addison

The Bulldogs Bite
23-08-2010, 11:35 PM
Markovic seems like a "he must be better than the crap we have at the moment" type call. Unfortunately, he isn't.

I got a laugh out of this post. Very true.

Thanks Rocco ;)

boydogs
24-08-2010, 01:51 AM
Put it this way, Mitch Hahn is substantially quicker than Lukas Markovic and not much smaller.

It just looks we get a lot bigger and a fair bit slower which won't be ideal.

Who would you see Markovic matching up on?

Disappointing if true. I thought Markovic was holding his own at VFL level and was considered a viable backup. In terms of a matchup, perhaps a Kosi, Cloke or Hawkins lumbering type

Without Markovic & Morris, Williams would need to step up, Everitt or a second ruckman would need to play and Lake would need to be accountable for a quality opponent, so he would have been handy

Adjusting my ins & outs, I suppose one of Hahn, Eagleton & Ward survives until we get players back - I'll say Ward because if his condition improves then you know you will get something from him, the other two will just go missing

Scorlibo
24-08-2010, 09:11 AM
Does anyone else expect Hahn and Everitt to spend a lot more time down back in Dale's absence?

The Underdog
24-08-2010, 10:00 AM
I'm not sure if anyone has gone with this thought, but I say we do a Freo this week.
Along with the injured I'd rest Griff, Huddo, Lake and Hall. Bring in whoever. Hell, bring in Markovic, Hooper and Rose. I don't care, they'd just be fodder
This week means nothing, unless we lose by 30 goals +. But if any of those 4 get injured we're beyond hope in the finals.
Sure it's cynical and playing with fire, but all those who want to play the kids would be happy.

DOG GOD
24-08-2010, 11:11 AM
I like ur thinking here Underdog, and your absolutely correct that if one of those 4 got injured then we may as well send out the under 12's in the first final.

For mine, i would certainly rest Hall (now he cant win the coleman) and Lake (as he is carrying an injury). With Morris out, Lake is by far the most important down back and we have to have him 100% for the finals.

Give Markovic a go i say, he was recruited to replace Lake if injured wasnt he?

LostDoggy
24-08-2010, 12:21 PM
I'm not sure if anyone has gone with this thought, but I say we do a Freo this week.
Along with the injured I'd rest Griff, Huddo, Lake and Hall. Bring in whoever. Hell, bring in Markovic, Hooper and Rose. I don't care, they'd just be fodder
This week means nothing, unless we lose by 30 goals +. But if any of those 4 get injured we're beyond hope in the finals.
Sure it's cynical and playing with fire, but all those who want to play the kids would be happy.

I tend to agree and have suggested this too, we have everything to lose and not much to gain out of this match. I would be putting young fellas and fringe players head to head and let them know its you or him for the finals. ROughy vs Minno, Eagle vs Moles, Hahn vs Everitt, Hill vs Stack, Addison, Jones. Or to that effect... best players get to PLAY FINALS do or die, its the end of season exam to see who makes the cut. Surely thats enough incentive.

Bulldog Joe
24-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Sorry
This just sets player against player and does not help the match committee. There has been an entire season to work that out.

This week is about being as settled as possible and getting team ethos and structure right for the Collingwood game.

All for the one purpose not player against player.

LostDoggy
24-08-2010, 01:00 PM

Tough call isn't it - rest players vs playing our likely finals team against the dons, "hopefully" getting a good win and a bit of confidence and continuity into the group.

LostDoggy
24-08-2010, 01:15 PM
Tough call isn't it - rest players vs playing our likely finals team against the dons, "hopefully" getting a good win and a bit of confidence and continuity into the group.

There is a golden rule that you do not flirt with form at the Selection Table. We did that last week and look at the result

We must pick the side we see as playing the following week against Collingwood because:

Hopefully, we gain some renewed confidence from a win, and
We have the opportunity of fine tuning the selection based on what we learn from the Essendon experience.

LostDoggy
24-08-2010, 01:25 PM
In normal situations I would agree EJ but these are extraordinary times. If we lose Baz, Brian or Griff we are in more trouble, all have been sore at times, Griff copped a bashing two weeks in a row, Brian looks to be limping. We also may have a couple of required players back over the next 4 weeks. We also are not sure who our best 22 are and best positions. Mitch or Everitt, Minson or Roughy, crumbing forward, Gia or Harbrow into the mid for example. Even opinions on here are polarised. We would have to hope that it clicks first week of the finals but stranger things have happened.

Sedat
24-08-2010, 01:47 PM
There is no miracle cure at the selection table, no panacea that will suddenly transform our team into worldbeaters. The improvement has to come from within. Quality players of the calibre of Hargrave and Gilbee have been sub-par for a number of weeks now and we need them to rise to the challenge that September invariably brings. If these underperforming senior players (and there are a few more besides) can rediscover confidence and touch before the start of the finals series, then we are every chance to make life difficult the our September opponents, even without Cooney and Morris. We simply cannot afford any passengers, so if all 22 collectively bring something to the table, we are still capable of great things this September.

Ozza
24-08-2010, 02:01 PM
^^^

Good point on guys like Hargrave and Gilbee. In particular Gilbee is one I'd like to see take on the game more. He is very very quick, and obviously have tremendous skills - I'd like to see him, see himself - as more of a weapon.

Nuggety Back Pocket
24-08-2010, 02:45 PM
There is a golden rule that you do not flirt with form at the Selection Table. We did that last week and look at the result

We must pick the side we see as playing the following week against Collingwood because:

Hopefully, we gain some renewed confidence from a win, and
We have the opportunity of fine tuning the selection based on what we learn from the Essendon experience.

I agree with these sentiments. We now need to face the fact that we are minus several players through injury which includes, Cooney, Morris, Johnson, Higgins and Wood.
Cooney and Morris loom as huge losses. In spite of this we can be competitive. I think it is imperative that we move Harbrow into the midfield to replace Cooney. We have been smashed out of the centre in our past two losing games. Roughead and Everitt should return as they didn't deserve to be out of the side last week. I also believe we need the class of Murphy on the forward line where apart from Hall we lack experience and skill.
I would favour recalling Addison to replace Harbrow in defence simply because he gives us hardness at the ball.The team would be as follows:

Backs. Addison, Lake, Everitt
Half Backs Gilbee, Williams, Hargrave
Centre Eagleton, Cross, Griffen
Half Fwds Murphy, Jones, Grant
Fwds Giansircusa, Hall, Hooper
Rucks Hudson Harbrow, Boyd
Inter. Ward, Moles, Picken, Roughead

I have included Hooper in the hope we might gain a crumbing forward, something that we have lacked all year. There is also the element of surprise in bringing in a new face. When you look at our current list there are not many other options, apart from a Hill or Stack in place of Hooper but both these players have been found wanting at senior level.

soupman
24-08-2010, 02:54 PM

Whilst I agree with this saying, even with all those changes our form over the Geelong and Sydney matches was pretty consistent.

DOG GOD
24-08-2010, 03:04 PM
Here would be my team:

B: Hargrave, Lake, Harbrow
HB: Everitt, Williams, Gilbee
C: Hill, Moles, Griffen
HF: Grant, Hall, Murphy
F: Gia, Jones, Picken
Foll: Hudson, Cross, Boyd
Int: Ward, Roughead, Addison, Eagleton

In: Hill, Addison, Everitt, Roughead
Out: Johnson, Morris, Cooney, (all inj), Hahn (omit)

Harbrow has to play down back to allow run out of defense.
Hill to the wing where he made a name for himself when he debuted.
Hall to CHF to get him into the game, with Grant and Murphy to be the runners each side.
Picken to play defensive fwd option to rotate with Addison and Moles
Eagleton stays due to no other options coming thru.

soupman
24-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Here would be my team:

B: Hargrave, Lake, Harbrow
HB: Everitt, Williams, Gilbee
C: Hill, Moles, Griffen
HF: Grant, Hall, Murphy
F: Gia, Jones, Picken
Foll: Hudson, Cross, Boyd
Int: Ward, Roughead, Addison, Eagleton

In: Hill, Addison, Everitt, Roughead
Out: Johnson, Morris, Cooney, (all inj), Hahn (omit)

Harbrow has to play down back to allow run out of defense.
Hill to the wing where he made a name for himself when he debuted.
Hall to CHF to get him into the game, with Grant and Murphy to be the runners each side.
Picken to play defensive fwd option to rotate with Addison and Moles
Eagleton stays due to no other options coming thru.

I agree with this side, especially Hill on a wing.

Murphy would need to rotate between forward and back as needed, but I feel you have it right. I too would like to drop Eagleton but also can't see a viable replacement.

DOG GOD
24-08-2010, 03:12 PM
I agree with this side, especially Hill on a wing.

Murphy would need to rotate between forward and back as needed, but I feel you have it right. I too would like to drop Eagleton but also can't see a viable replacement.

Thanks Soupaman. For the life of me i cant understand why Hill has not been given a really good run on the wing, especially with the loss of form to Eagleton in this role. I think Picken can be utilised better in a fwd defensive role than thru the middle. He is a good shot on goal even from 50, and really plays with all heart and guts and along with Jones in the FF possie, would allow good defensive pressure, that would allow Murphy and Grant to put pressure coming out with their agility.

LostDoggy
24-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Thanks Soupaman. For the life of me i cant understand why Hill has not been given a really good run on the wing, especially with the loss of form to Eagleton in this role. I think Picken can be utilised better in a fwd defensive role than thru the middle. He is a good shot on goal even from 50, and really plays with all heart and guts and along with Jones in the FF possie, would allow good defensive pressure, that would allow Murphy and Grant to put pressure coming out with their agility.

Because each time he has had a chance recently he looks like he isnt interested. I would have him in the side this week though, a big opportunity for him.

soupman
24-08-2010, 03:19 PM

I've been wondering why we haven't given Hill a run on the wing too. In his first couple of games he really influecned the result playing off a wing, with his strong marking up the field being a highlight. On top of this he is a good pass, reportedly has a high fitness capacity and is dangerous floating into our forwardline. We continue to persist with him as an undersized key forward yet even in matches where he struggles we don't send him up the ground to try and get him into the game. He becomes a much more dangerous player if he can start being effective off the wing as well as a potentially dangerous forward. This also helps our run.

As for Picken up forward, I like it most of the time. I do question whether we have enough players to cover the likes of Didak, Davis and Swan without him but this is where Addison, Harbrow and Wood when fit will need to stand up.

Because each time he has had a chance recently he looks like he isnt interested. I would have him in the side this week though, a big opportunity for him.

For much of this season yes, but his first 2-3 games he played off the wing and was fantastic, and then it was almost as if we decided that he was purely a forward and hasn't really been tried there again.

Sockeye Salmon
24-08-2010, 03:36 PM
B: Hargrave, Markovic, Everitt
HB: Gilbee, Williams, Murphy
C: Harbrow, Boyd, Griffen
HF: Ward, Grant, Giansiracusa
F: Jones, Hall, Hooper
R: Hudson, Cross, Picken
I: Roughead, Addison, Eagleton, Moles.

In: Everitt, Markovic, Roughead, Hooper, Addison.
Out: Cooney, Johnson, Morris, Lake, Hahn.

Lake has been dreadful these last two weeks and ability doesn't simply disappear. I am convinced his is carrying his hip and while a week off might not fix it, it can't hurt. I'm interested to see how Markovic goes and one of the few people in AFL that he could play on is Neagle.

I don't think Everitt is a defender, but with Grant, Jones, Hall and occassionally Roughead up forward there's just no room for him up that end. If Everitt could put in a decent performance as a backman it would raise his worth considerably.

Hooper really needs to be given a chance with our lack of pace.

Roughead and Minson are a toss of a coin.

LostDoggy
24-08-2010, 03:36 PM
For much of this season yes, but his first 2-3 games he played off the wing and was fantastic, and then it was almost as if we decided that he was purely a forward and hasn't really been tried there again.

Fair enough, give him a shot, we need him now more than ever.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-08-2010, 04:18 PM
Lake has been dreadful these last two weeks and ability doesn't simply disappear. I am convinced his is carrying his hip and while a week off might not fix it, it can't hurt. I'm interested to see how Markovic goes and one of the few people in AFL that he could play on is Neagle.

I don't think Everitt is a defender, but with Grant, Jones, Hall and occassionally Roughead up forward there's just no room for him up that end. If Everitt could put in a decent performance as a backman it would raise his worth considerably.

Hooper really needs to be given a chance with our lack of pace.

Roughead and Minson are a toss of a coin.

I agree with this.

Doubtful Markovic/Hooper will be able to play a role in finals, but we might as well play them this week. Nice observation on Lake too - he has been dreadfully out of sorts and it definitely looks hip related.

Everitt was solid in defence against Geelong - I'd play him there too. More than anything, I just hope Andrejs gets to play the remaining games of the year.

Roughead should get the nod ahead of Minson IMO.

Note: I wonder if Hahn will take Morris' position? The MC have tried to use Hahn as a swingman this season. In a sense it comes down to Hahn v Addison.

LostDoggy
24-08-2010, 04:35 PM
B: Hargrave, Williams, Harbrow
HB: Gilbee, Murphy, Hahn
C: Everitt, Boyd, Griffen
F: Jones, Hall, Hill
I: Minson, Addison, Eagleton, Moles.

In: Everitt, Minson, Hill, Addison.
Out: Cooney, Johnson, Morris, Lake.

I would like to rest griffen too but who would come in?

bornadog
24-08-2010, 04:59 PM

I like your team, but would swap Everitt and Murphy. We lack some height with your team in the backline, but then again, I am not sure about Essendons forwards.

Sockeye Salmon
24-08-2010, 05:13 PM

Wow.

You would hope that Neagle (spud), Hille, Ryder and Carlisle don't take too many marks. At least we would burn them on the rebound.

LostDoggy
24-08-2010, 05:25 PM
I like your team, but would swap Everitt and Murphy. We lack some height with your team in the backline, but then again, I am not sure about Essendons forwards.

Happy with that BAD, I had been contemplating the same.

Wow.

You would hope that Neagle (spud), Hille, Ryder and Carlisle don't take too many marks. At least we would burn them on the rebound.

I dont see an option besides playing Lake unless you go with Markovich, I wouldnt be to upset to see that but its not what I would do.

We have some height up forward so a resting ruckman down back? We should always have one there for set shots anyway.

Sockeye Salmon
24-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Happy with that BAD, I had been contemplating the same.

I dont see an option besides playing Lake unless you go with Markovich, I wouldnt be to upset to see that but its not what I would do.

We have some height up forward so a resting ruckman down back? We should always have one there for set shots anyway.

Even Everitt could add some height. He's not physical but could take someone like Carlisle.

BomberBlitzCast
24-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Anyone want to do a quick interview for the BomberBlitz.com Podcast tonight about the upcoming game this weekend?

All you need is Skype and a brain. Show starts at 8.30pm but I'd love to record it before then! PM me, thanks!

ratsmac
24-08-2010, 08:15 PM
Out- Cooney, Johnson, Morris, Moles
In- Minson\Roughead, Everitt, Addison, Stack

I'm not a huge Stack fan but he does have pace to burn. 'Dirty ol' Moles tries hard but needs to go back to Willi to find some form and I think Addison has been consistant at Willi and deserves another chance.

The Coon Dog
24-08-2010, 08:20 PM
Anyone want to do a quick interview for the BomberBlitz.com Podcast tonight about the upcoming game this weekend?

All you need is Skype and a brain. Show starts at 8.30pm but I'd love to record it before then! PM me, thanks!

I was just about to start a thread asking for anyone with Skype.

Actually I might just do that anyway.

becmatty
25-08-2010, 12:10 PM
How about then for the first time you give YOUR opinion rather than just regurgitating the comments of others (such as the coach, the online player profiles, what the media say) and claiming them as your own. You never know, you may even get one right eventually!

Greyskull, I am always up for giving my opinion. That is why I start the selection thread each week and am first up with my thoughts for the ins and outs.

This week I said Hooper should come in, and I got shot down for doing so. Yet, in today's Herald Sun, it is tipped that he is in line for selection.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/dirty-day-for-dogs/story-e6frf9jf-1225909150402

Does this mean that the media is now regurgitating my comments?

If you have a different view, by all means express it, but quit nagging at me, this is not life and death stuff...

Greystache
25-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Greyskull, I am always up for giving my opinion. That is why I start the selection thread each week and am first up with my thoughts for the ins and outs.

This week I said Hooper should come in, and I got shot down for doing so. Yet, in today's Herald Sun, it is tipped that he is in line for selection.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/dirty-day-for-dogs/story-e6frf9jf-1225909150402

Does this mean that the media is now regurgitating my comments?

If you have a different view, by all means express it, but quit nagging at me, this is not life and death stuff...

Yet, in today's Herald Sun, it is tipped that he is in line for selection.

You just don't get it do you? :rolleyes:

The Bulldogs Bite
25-08-2010, 07:27 PM
I know that there's a number of players that could (or should) be dropped for this week and/or the finals, but Moles is very high up on my list. He adds nothing. Big body and occasionally looks great picking the ball up off the deck and hitting a target, but that's the key word; occasionally.

bornadog
25-08-2010, 08:18 PM
I know that there's a number of players that could (or should) be dropped for this week and/or the finals, but Moles is very high up on my list. He adds nothing. Big body and occasionally looks great picking the ball up off the deck and hitting a target, but that's the key word; occasionally.

I too am not sold on Moles yet. But do we have a choice?

Rocco Jones
25-08-2010, 08:19 PM
I too am not sold on Moles yet. But do we have a choice?

Exactly.

becmatty
25-08-2010, 08:23 PM
Yep TBB, I agree that there are a number of players on the cusp of demotion.

It is a hard call, because wholesale changes at this stage would signify that we are playing in hope, rather than to a plan.

Injuries may have saved a few players and these players know who they are:

Moles: I agree, is the most likely to be sent back to Williamstown. Goes missing, gets caught easily and doesn't kick enough goals. Is a frustrating player.

Ward: I am a fan, but he just seems incapable of getting out of second gear. Much like Higgins, everyone associated with the club is waiting for him to do what we know he can do. Unfortunately, time is running out and he is becomming a liability. I hope he can turn it on (and fast) as he is a massive asset when firing.

Hahn: Seems to be down on confidence (all year). Perhaps now that he is no longer the big body on the forward line, his role has changed marginally and it has had an impact. Add his collision with Bazza at the start of the year and I think Mitch's head is not quite in the right spot. Again, he is capable and adds another dimension to our foward line when he is taking pack marks and charging through people. His record against the Bombers is outstanding, so lets hope he uses this match as a springboard, as we need him to do this in September.

Eagleton: Up and down. Much like many of his teammates, the bald one struggles with consistency and this will not change. He will be more likely to get in space against Essendon, but where to from there?

Jones: Has impressed and will be a force in years to come, but is still raw and not the answer in September. Do we retain him this week?

Unfortunately with three forced changes (and possibly four if Hall's corkie doesn't stop bleeding) this week it means that these out of sorts players are likely to stay, as we have a thin layer of available replacements...

macca
26-08-2010, 12:05 AM
Tim Callan could find himself in the team again, come finals time.

Remi Moses
26-08-2010, 12:22 AM

In - Anyone

Out- Knights

Remi Moses
26-08-2010, 12:28 AM
In- Addison,Everitt,Minson
Out-Johnno,Dale,Cooney

Lucky Moles

Mofra
26-08-2010, 10:17 AM
Jones: Has impressed and will be a force in years to come, but is still raw and not the answer in September. Do we retain him this week?
Disagree completely. He provides fantastic defensive pressure, something we've lacked all year. He demands a tall and generally runs away from Hall's space, splitting the opposition defensive talls. He is quick and doesn't just provide the odd tackle, he genuinely wants to tackle.

He may not be in the best 22 players at the club right now, but he's certainly in the best 22 because of what he offers us structurally and defensively in the F50.

becmatty
27-08-2010, 08:14 AM
What is the fitness status of Lake and Hall?...Any chance of Higgins coming through as a late inclusion?

The Coon Dog
27-08-2010, 08:42 AM
What is the fitness status of Lake and Hall?...Any chance of Higgins coming through as a late inclusion?

Quite possibly I would have thought. As bornadog alluded to in another thread, why play him at Williamstown when he could get a bit of match fitness up in this dead rubber.