PDA

View Full Version : So where are we really at?

ReLoad
22-08-2010, 09:50 AM
The calmness of the morning always makes you see a different light, in this case reality.

This is 1999 all over again. - Straight sets awaits us.

Great teams peak at the right time of the year, and thats the ONLY way to come into the finals series, each year there are limpers, and we are damn well one of them.

Our list is deficient and the "age drop off" has affected us in many ways.
Its very sad to see great and legendary servants of our club finish this way.

Eagleton, Akermanis and Hahn, and sadly our best player in 40 years Johnno.

We simply are not up to the elite top 4 standard that is going to take us all the way.

So we were at our season defining crossroads moment, and we failed, do we have another chance? yes, but can we do it? No.

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx67/Ryan_Mcnaught/folks.jpg?t=1282430865

Go_Dogs
22-08-2010, 09:58 AM
At the moment it looks like you are right, but things can change very quickly in footy and they usually do.

My levels of faith have been seriously depleted, but there is still hope.....

stefoid
22-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Our to biggest losses have occured without Cooney in the side.

250 odd posessions in a whole game of footy. wow. Thats 1990s stuff.

comrade
22-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Our to biggest losses have occured without Cooney in the side.

250 odd posessions in a whole game of footy. wow. Thats 1990s stuff.

I know Sydney are full of clamp down artists but that's an incredible number.

Dazza
22-08-2010, 01:21 PM
I'm really questioning whether this current group of players will ever have the chance to win a premiership. When the going gets tough it's the same players that go missing time and time again.

I think the club needs to have a good look at the list and ask itself whether this group has what it takes to win a premiership or will it ever be a true threat? If the answer is NO then they have to do something about it and look at trades for some of the under performing seasoned players. If the answer is YES then Eades position at the club needs to be questioned.

I'm sick of being third/fourth best and feel it's time for the club to take a hardline approach and get rid of good players that don't perform when necessary while they still have some trade value.

LostDoggy
22-08-2010, 01:32 PM
There's Plenty of Talent at Willy. Maybe it is time for a bit of a Cull.

anfo27
22-08-2010, 04:30 PM
You can write this year off right now and that will ake it 3 in a row of top 4 finishes with no GF apperance to show for it. Surely this is the year that the MC looks at this list and decides that as is this list is not good enough & never will be. Tough decisions have to be made and certain people need to be made accountable for the woeful decisions they have made.
A lot of players need to be looked at as trade bait while they still have some value. Unlike the leadership group the MC needs to make a statement.

LostDoggy
22-08-2010, 07:36 PM

Maybe..
But it's the end of Round 21..Less than 2 weeks from finals and probably a little too late to be experimenting with Willy players.
The likes of Everitt, Roughead and Addison I would agree with putting into the side, but others like Hill and Stack im not so convinced about adding to the side at this stage.

LostDoggy
22-08-2010, 11:04 PM
Last time we lost 2 in a row we won the next 2 in a row :D that's the only way i can see us beating the pies at the moment

EasternWest
23-08-2010, 01:41 AM
Eagleton, Akermanis and Hahn, and sadly our best player in 40 years Johnno.

C. Grant and S. West would like a word with you.

Great photoshop but.

MrMahatma
23-08-2010, 03:25 AM

Great photoshop but.
So would S Wynd. And I was too young to know about the 80s or 70s.

Longevity - sure. But no where near our best in the past decade, let alone 40 years.

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 12:02 PM
It is not all doom and gloom people!!! Stop running the bath and put down the razorblade!!

The underdog status suits us well - backs against the wall - hopefully the boys dig deep and find some heart and some pride. At our best we can beat anyone - play the game on our terms take risks, run and move the ball quick. Open up the fwd line Baz and Gia in the 50m

Pull out last years Prelim dvd relive the hurt... then f***ing smash Collingwood.

We are top 4 we are still a chance - back your team be a real supporter

Ghost Dog
23-08-2010, 12:18 PM
It is not all doom and gloom people!!! Stop running the bath and put down the razorblade!!

The underdog status suits us well - backs against the wall - hopefully the boys dig deep and find some heart and some pride. At our best we can beat anyone - play the game on our terms take risks, run and move the ball quick. Open up the fwd line Baz and Gia in the 50m

Pull out last years Prelim dvd relive the hurt... then f***ing smash Collingwood.

Oh, sublime posting bit o' bite :D . I love a bit of brash, no-holds-barred optimism.

Greystache
23-08-2010, 12:54 PM

I can't agree with you that the under dog tag suits us well, we've played the underdog for 50 years and it's brought nothing but failure. I was really hoping this year we could walk tall into September and announce we're the team to beat, come at us. Unfortunately that's not the case and the other top 4 teams will be coming into the game with the belief that if they play their best they'll beat us comfortably, that's a major advantage to them.

Upsets do happen in finals so not all is lost, but we need to accept that a win over another top 4 team will be just that, and nothing we've shown this season points to us being able to do it.

Jasper
23-08-2010, 12:59 PM

Co-Sign. In that order. Hawk is certainly in the mix too.

The Pie Man
23-08-2010, 01:39 PM
At the moment it looks like you are right, but things can change very quickly in footy and they usually do.

My levels of faith have been seriously depleted, but there is still hope.....

This post sums up my feelings on our season/where we're at etc perfectly
The loss, while poor, wasn't as bad as the ping in Coon's string. That really hurts
But footy so often turns around when you least expect it
I wonder what the least amount of wins is for a 4th spot finish - we could lose, end up on 13 and still be there. Very strange.

ReLoad
23-08-2010, 01:44 PM
The point about our best player in 40 years is totally subjective and also totally irrelevant to this post's topic.

All it did was highlight one of the core issues, but feel free to glaze over the fact we are the second worst performing team in the eight over the last couple of weeks.

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 01:53 PM
I know it was 13 years ago, but what was Adelaide's form and reputation like coming into the '97 finals series? I don't really remember all that well -- McLeod wasn't yet recognised as an out-and-out superstar (until the GF), Modra was hot and cold, and Jarman floated around like a time bomb that never really exploded (until the 4th quarter of that prelim). I don't think anyone really gave them a chance. Ditto Brisbane '01?

I'm as pessimistic as the next cat, but I guess while there's life, there's hope, and in sports you just never say never until the fat lady sings. That's why knock-out competition is so beautiful. A few lucky passages of play here and there, and there's Wimbledon beating Liverpool to win the FA Cup, or Goran Ivanisevic winning Wimbledon (hmm, a theme there?) as a wildcard, or Adelaide coming from nowhere town to suddenly have their first of two Premierships.

September is a different competition to H&A. You get there, everything starts again. We are shit now, but shittier teams have won things. We can only hang on for the ride.

The Coon Dog
23-08-2010, 02:03 PM
I know it was 13 years ago, but what was Adelaide's form and reputation like coming into the '97 finals series?

Adelaide won 6 & lost 3 of the last 9 rounds in 1997.

Sockeye Salmon
23-08-2010, 03:59 PM

That's a myth. Willi are travelling nicely but there are not half a dozen superstars just waiting to step up.

Ben Davies, Matt Little, Ben Jolley, Ben Johnson and Peter Faulks are handy VFL players.

Of Saturday's team, Everitt, Minson, Roughead and Addison would be the ones pushing for a senior spot. Markovic was OK and I'm actually interested in how he would go.

Rose and Hooper had their moments but I'm doubtful about them at AFL level. Even if they were good enough to survive at AFL level they are hardly going to be our saviours. Callan has been tried and found wanting a number of times.

Stack had a poor first half but was OK in the 2nd (when we were already 10 goals up), Hill was terrible, Tutt and Howard are promising but should be aiming at getting a game next year.

Greystache
23-08-2010, 04:06 PM
That's a myth. Willi are travelling nicely but there are not half a dozen superstars just waiting to step up.

Ben Davies, Matt Little, Ben Jolley, Ben Johnson and Peter Faulks are handy VFL players.

Of Saturday's team, Everitt, Minson, Roughead and Addison would be the ones pushing for a senior spot. Markovic was OK and I'm actually interested in how he would go.

Rose and Hooper had their moments but I'm doubtful about them at AFL level. Even if they were good enough to survive at AFL level they are hardly going to be our saviours. Callan has been tried and found wanting a number of times.

Stack had a poor first half but was OK in the 2nd (when we were already 10 goals up), Hill was terrible, Tutt and Howard are promising but should be aiming at getting a game next year.

And all of those Willi senior players have had a crack at AFL level and didn't make it. I do think Little could do well if given a second chance however.

Markovic was given a go in the intra club matches during the pre-season, his performances were described to me as absolutely sh... Well let's just say his feedback wasn't flattering.

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 04:25 PM
Pre-season intra-club isn't exactly everything is it? Surely recent form has to count for more -- can't see that Markovic, probably best full-back in the VFL this year -- would be a whole lot worse than Presti. There are definitely crappier defenders running around.

Desipura
23-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Pre-season intra-club isn't exactly everything is it? Surely recent form has to count for more -- can't see that Markovic, probably best full-back in the VFL this year -- would be a whole lot worse than Presti. There are definitely crappier defenders running around.
Presti has him well and truly covered for speed, a key ingredient in todays game. Which made the selection of Markovic hard to understand at the time as well as now.

mighty_west
23-08-2010, 04:33 PM

It would be very disappointing if a player had his papers stamped after one intra club match, considering how much work would be done in recruiting these blokes.

bornadog
23-08-2010, 04:43 PM

We don't need a big lumbering backman? We need a speedy midfielder.

Greystache
23-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Presti has him well and truly covered for speed, a key ingredient in todays game. Which made the selection of Markovic hard to understand at the time as well as now.

And agility. He is a carbon copy of Wayde Skipper, just picture Skipper playing on Riewoldt or Cloke.

It would be very disappointing if a player had his papers stamped after one intra club match, considering how much work would be done in recruiting these blokes.

They played numerous intra club matches and it was clear he was truly out of his depth.

anfo27
23-08-2010, 05:35 PM

we are heading into round 22 and we have not seen our best this year, what makes you think this group is going to stand up when the blow torch of finals is put on them? Lets be realistic here , we need to take a step back before we can take 2 steps forward.
I'd love for them to prove me wrong but I have been waiting a long time for that.
Gia proved on the weekend that if he gets sat on he is too slow & not strong enough to be an influence.

Ghost Dog
23-08-2010, 05:57 PM
I'd love for them to prove me wrong but I have been waiting a long time for that.

One thing is true. The only cricitcal factor is what happens during finals. What happened a long time ago has no bearing on finals. I'm not confident at all now. But, I expect this group to fire on the day and hold their heads high, they MUST. That's what I want to see more than anything. Real grit and effort.

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 06:02 PM
I am upset as anyone over this year! But like said we are 2 weeks out from finals football top 4 spot.
Remember what is was like not to make the top 8?Alot worse.
Alot of things are missing from the side at the moment but the most important is effort, that get in, body on the line effort ,do or die!
If we can do the old backs to the wall bulldog spirit we can achieve.
Look i think the thing that makes this year more upsetting is that we all know we are capable of winning the premiership.
So lets try and stop looking for reasons why we are not going to succeed and start looking at how we can.
Lets as supporters get out to every game from here on out and shout as loud as we can lets F#$%^&G STICK IT UPEM C'MON DOGGIES!!!!!!

EasternWest
23-08-2010, 06:06 PM
The point about our best player in 40 years is totally subjective and also totally irrelevant to this post's topic.

All it did was highlight one of the core issues, but feel free to glaze over the fact we are the second worst performing team in the eight over the last couple of weeks.

Who's glazing over anything? You're the one that brought up the "irrelevant" point.

And it is a subjective thing. You think Brad Johnson comes in ahead of those two guys, I think he doesn't.

Sorry to take this off thread, I thought this was a forum where points and counter points were raised. I'll make sure i follow whatever instruction you give in future, ReLoad :rolleyes:.

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 06:53 PM
Who's glazing over anything? You're the one that brought up the "irrelevant" point.

And it is a subjective thing. You think Brad Johnson comes in ahead of those two guys, I think he doesn't.

Sorry to take this off thread, I thought this was a forum where points and counter points were raised. I'll make sure i follow whatever instruction you give in future, ReLoad :rolleyes:.

G. Dempsey and K. Templeton say hi:)

Dogs 24/7
23-08-2010, 07:13 PM

Very damning assessment of Eades time at the club if you are indicating that the cupboard is bare of talent.

mjp
23-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Where are we at?

Two of our best 3 (or 4) players are now out injured (Cooney and Morris). We have been completely outplayed in rounds 20 and 21 and not only are we turning the footy over (has plagued us all year) vs Sydney we couldn't even get the thing.

Where are we at? We are in trouble. Straight sets anyone???

GVGjr
23-08-2010, 07:23 PM

I think I can understand why.
The instruction went to the recruiting manager to get the club a big bodied mature defender and by the way, we haven't got a lot of money to pay him.

I think the same applied to Thorne once we missed on getting Jetta.

AndrewP6
23-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Where are we at?

Two of our best 3 (or 4) players are now out injured (Cooney and Morris). We have been completely outplayed in rounds 20 and 21 and not only are we turning the footy over (has plagued us all year) vs Sydney we couldn't even get the thing.

That's my tip :(

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 08:25 PM
That's my tip :(

Really? I think we would be favourites against Carlton or Sydney but will struggle in the prelim without Cooney.

AndrewP6
23-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Really? I think we would be favourites against Carlton or Sydney but will struggle in the prelim without Cooney.

I thought we'd be favourites against Sydney in Round 21...but alas...

Carlton: ordinarily I'd say yes, but the gods are conspiring against us.

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Where are we at?

Down on players yes but Harbrow into the middle Callan to defense, Colliwobbles.. moron pressure on them .. wet night .. off to a good start .. anything can happen.. Give Up never won a race.. I will be going to cheer the dogs on and still think they can win. Remember the final years ago cats had 3 of there best out against Carlton and stiil won

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 11:05 PM
"Stack had a poor first half but was OK in the 2nd (when we were already 10 goals up), Hill was terrible"

Nothing unusual

Desipura
24-08-2010, 09:23 AM
I think I can understand why.
The instruction went to the recruiting manager to get the club a big bodied mature defender and by the way, we haven't got a lot of money to pay him.

I think the same applied to Thorne once we missed on getting Jetta.
Thanks for the reply. Matt Maguire must have asked for more money then?

Greystache
24-08-2010, 09:48 AM

Alex Silvagni too?

mighty_west
24-08-2010, 10:03 AM
They played numerous intra club matches and it was clear he was truly out of his depth.

I understand that, and i watched him play in one of those intra club games, but the amount of work these days put into these kids coming through, the amounts of money invested etc etc, you would think that watching him play at Box Hill, being a co-captain etc etc, playing on AFL players at times in the VFL, you could work out that perhaps speed was going to hold him back before drafting him.

Greystache
24-08-2010, 10:07 AM
I understand that, and i watched him play in one of those intra club games, but the amount of work these days put into these kids coming through, the amounts of money invested etc etc, you would think that watching him play at Box Hill, being a co-captain etc etc, playing on AFL players at times in the VFL, you could work out that perhaps speed was going to hold him back before drafting him.

Absolutely, I'm in total agreement with you. As GVGjr pointed out Dalrymple was limited by our lack of room in the salary cap, but at the end of the day Fremantle managed to pick a handy player from the same league and we didn't.

DOG GOD
24-08-2010, 11:03 AM
It really made me laugh to hear the comments from the club when they drafted Markovic. To put the case fwd that he was a good back up if lake went down really limits him to begin with. Some of the players picked (Markovic and Thorne) really left me scratching my head, and although its in hindsight, those 2 picks have turned into dud picks. Also u would think with the 2 compromised drafts coming up, the recruiters wouldve been hell bent to actually try to pick players they thought would be a good chance of making it, not types to fill a hole if needed re: one certain player getting injured. picking Thorne was just an accident waiting to happen.

LostDoggy
24-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Ok, so out of Markovic, Bouman and Mulligan, who would everyone play first?

IIRC only 1 of those 3 played VFL seniors on the weekend.

Sockeye Salmon
24-08-2010, 01:10 PM
Very damning assessment of Eades time at the club if you are indicating that the cupboard is bare of talent.

Quite the opposite. Eade's handling of our younger players has been exceptional.

We could have quite a lot of young talent at Willi if we wanted - Grant, Jones, Ward, Picken, Moles, Harbrow - except they're playing seniors.

Plus those currently injured like Wood, Reid and Cordy.

mighty_west
24-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Quite the opposite. Eade's handling of our younger players has been exceptional.

We could have quite a lot of young talent at Willi if we wanted - Grant, Jones, Ward, Picken, Moles, Harbrow - except they're playing seniors.

Plus those currently injured like Wood, Reid and Cordy.

I think alot of outsiders tend to either not see or overlook the fact that we have in fact blooded quite a few players, but also very exciting and talented kids, all of those you have mentioned, except Cordy off course, but most who have seen him play at Willy understand that he will be good when he gets the body right, Roughead is another to add on your list.

Desipura
24-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Its disappointing to hear about the misses at draft time.
I recall Eade stating we picked up Everitt as we thought he could eventually play kpp as opposed to Jack Reiwoldt who he thought was not a kpp. (He said the same thing about Lance Franklin being a half forward flanker). I believe we were too focussed on picking up kpps in the past, that we gave up the opportunity to pick up some very handy forwards. who are now kpps.

We were tossing up between Little & Rose. Try telling me Little would not have played seniors by now? He may have been the replacement for Johnson we have been looking for.

As alot of us know, the story goes we told Rose to build up his tank preseason so he could play midfield as well as forward. The guy was never overly quick, if you are as small as Rose, you have to have more than one string to your bow. I am not saying I would have gone Little over Rose, but I do know Rose does not have a standout feature to his game (as I stated above). The same goes for Hooper.

We picked up Markovic as a backup, Maguire was available, I wonder if we enquired about Brad Miller last year as an insurance for if one of our key backman got injured> We will never know.

Look, its not all doom and gloom, we have some very handy youngsters on our list (we all know who they are), we just need to balance our list with a quick onballer, another backman and 2 forwards, one a midium sized to replace Johnno and an opportunist forward.

The Pie Man
24-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Getting back to where we're at - I'm hoping Rocket is doing his best man-management work like he must have after the Hawthorn game earlier in the year.

Something like 'ok, Coon being out is a massive hit, but seriously guys, if we continue to not pressure and tackle the opposition then Coon being in won't make any difference to how we go. We've been here before, we should've beaten St Kilda last year playing the type of footy we're going to need to play again, and don't tell me Adam being out is going to prevent us from doing that.'

Or something like that :o

LostDoggy
24-08-2010, 05:12 PM
I love the negativity some of these so called bulldogs supporters... Don't bother going, hand back your membership (if you actually have one)...

It is going to be tough - but 3 weeks ago we were playing brilliant footy! Vs Carlton, Freo & North

DOG GOD
24-08-2010, 05:20 PM
3 weeks ago we were playing brilliant footy! Vs Carlton, Freo & North

Yep Carlton, Freo, North is a bit different from Geel, Syd and then Coll. the difference is not even on the same page. We play well against the run of the mill, but cant take that next step against the really good opposition. Can we turn it around? who knows. I still live in hope, but opur record against top 3-4 teams isnt good, so we need to sometimes take off those rose coloured glasses and accept the facts.

mjp
24-08-2010, 05:35 PM
I love the negativity some of these so called bulldogs supporters... Don't bother going, hand back your membership (if you actually have one)...

It is going to be tough - but 3 weeks ago we were playing brilliant footy! Vs Carlton, Freo & North

It isn't 3 weeks ago.
We have suffered injuries to key players.
We are not playing well.

Fair enough to have a go at people for being negative, but why not provide us (me?) with a bit of insight into the reasons for your optimism? I would love to be looking at things from the sunny side of the street, but from where I am it is pitch black and the only street light has been smashed by a gleeful Jason Akermanis.

LostDoggy
24-08-2010, 05:42 PM
but from where I am it is pitch black and the only street light has been smashed by a gleeful Jason Akermanis.

What is this supposed to mean?

mighty_west
24-08-2010, 05:46 PM

Whilst i am more of a "try to be positive" types of guys, no one can begrudge a true supporter of having negative thoughts, having the guts pulled out from poor form & especially injuries to key players, especially the Cooney one [season over], that was hideous, the expectations taking massive blows, still waiting for that second Premiership, still paying our hard earn every year and showing up week after week.

We will all still be there screaming our guts out in September no matter how hollow some feelings can get from time to time.

bornadog
24-08-2010, 06:29 PM
It isn't 3 weeks ago.
We have suffered injuries to key players.
We are not playing well.

Fair enough to have a go at people for being negative, but why not provide us (me?) with a bit of insight into the reasons for your optimism? I would love to be looking at things from the sunny side of the street, but from where I am it is pitch black and the only street light has been smashed by a gleeful Jason Akermanis.

MJP, you more than anyone know that things can turn around quickly, despite injuries etc. I think we still have the nucleus of a very good team. Sure we are better with Cooney and Higgins at full fitness but the rest of the team playing at their best are capable of causing damage in the finals.

Allan Jeans use to tell his players there are three seasons each year:

1. The H&A Season - and four teams have a double chance and we are one.
2. The finals Season.
3. The grand final Season

Yes Collingwood, Geelong and Saints have performed better than us in season one, but now they have to produce something in season two.

All players have to now step up in the finals and go for it.

mjp
24-08-2010, 06:30 PM
What is this supposed to mean?

It is a metaphor.

I can't see things from the happy place I am being told to look at them from. Was it really that obtuse?

GVGjr
24-08-2010, 06:40 PM

Good question. He possibly wanted a bit more money than we had but he also might have been seen as a more risky prospect. I don't think he was even seriously considered.

LostDoggy
24-08-2010, 06:43 PM
Yeah its going to be tough... but we still have some great players playing and we have an opportunity for some pinch hitters to step up! I am just sick of hearing the bagging and carry on...

1 Player doesn't make a team!

Every Dog shall have its day

bornadog
24-08-2010, 06:48 PM
Good question. He possibly wanted a bit more money than we had but he also might have been seen as a more risky prospect. I don't think he was even seriously considered.

Also he wouldn't have wanted to be just a backup, he would have seen himself as a regular team member.

Hotdog60
24-08-2010, 06:52 PM
I see that Brisbane are letting Selwood go, is he worth a look?

GVGjr
24-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Also he wouldn't have wanted to be just a backup, he would have seen himself as a regular team member.

Good point. He would have wanted to play for a side that could just about guarantee him 16 games plus.
Hindsight is great but I wonder if Silvagni might have met our requirements better but from memory Markovic was selected because he could potentially play on the bigger guys.

LostDoggy
24-08-2010, 06:57 PM
Ok Brad Johnson has not been fit all year - he can hardly run teams are killing us going the other way, we have done the same with Higgins and to a lesser extent Murph this year.

I would change the structure up forward around a little bit too. Hall and Gia in the 50 with Grant and maybe Stack pushing front and centre. I would like to Everitt on wing - he doesnt have to line up there just during play sit around wing HB.

Quick ball movement by hand, foot and run.

Put the acid on Boyd, Crossy, Griffen Gilbee pretty much everyone - to do it for the team! Remember the team that made a stand against Aker

mjp
24-08-2010, 07:05 PM
Yeah its going to be tough... but we still have some great players playing and we have an opportunity for some pinch hitters to step up! I am just sick of hearing the bagging and carry on...

1 Player doesn't make a team!

Every Dog shall have its day

This isn't hope. It is a couple of cliches.

The reason I don't know better than anyone that we are still in it is that in big games you need your best players to be your best players. For me, our best players are still Cooney, Lake, Murphy and Morris - though I am sure a fair case could be made for either Harbrow or Griffen ahead of Murphy.

I cannot see how we can win without Cooney and Morris.
One is a true difference maker in the midfield and as talented as anyone in the game - can win the ball at stoppages and break away from the contest at pace. He MUST be accounted for by the opposition at all times.

The other guy is able to basically stop the opposition's best small/medium forward totally disrupting the opposition structure.

Do I think we could pinch one game without them? Sure. Do I think we could win 3 games against top opposition without them? No - I dont think that we can. All the strategies in the world, players stepping up etc is fine, but it wont last more than a game.

ratsmac
24-08-2010, 07:52 PM
I know it was 13 years ago, but what was Adelaide's form and reputation like coming into the '97 finals series? I don't really remember all that well -- McLeod wasn't yet recognised as an out-and-out superstar (until the GF), Modra was hot and cold, and Jarman floated around like a time bomb that never really exploded (until the 4th quarter of that prelim). I don't think anyone really gave them a chance. Ditto Brisbane '01?

I'm as pessimistic as the next cat, but I guess while there's life, there's hope, and in sports you just never say never until the fat lady sings. That's why knock-out competition is so beautiful. A few lucky passages of play here and there, and there's Wimbledon beating Liverpool to win the FA Cup, or Goran Ivanisevic winning Wimbledon (hmm, a theme there?) as a wildcard, or Adelaide coming from nowhere town to suddenly have their first of two Premierships.

September is a different competition to H&A. You get there, everything starts again. We are shit now, but shittier teams have won things. We can only hang on for the ride.

What are you doing for the next month and a bit? Could you go give Eade and the boyz a chop out for some inspiration?

Ghost Dog
24-08-2010, 08:18 PM
This isn't hope. It is a couple of cliches.

The reason I don't know better than anyone that we are still in it is that in big games you need your best players to be your best players. For me, our best players are still Cooney, Lake, Murphy and Morris - though I am sure a fair case could be made for either Harbrow or Griffen ahead of Murphy.

I cannot see how we can win without Cooney and Morris.
One is a true difference maker in the midfield and as talented as anyone in the game - can win the ball at stoppages and break away from the contest at pace. He MUST be accounted for by the opposition at all times.

The other guy is able to basically stop the opposition's best small/medium forward totally disrupting the opposition structure.

Do I think we could pinch one game without them? Sure. Do I think we could win 3 games against top opposition without them? No - I dont think that we can. All the strategies in the world, players stepping up etc is fine, but it wont last more than a game.

The fact is, nobody knows for sure. Not over till' the fat lady sings!

LostDoggy
25-08-2010, 11:55 AM

If this was a Holywood movie, we would luck our way into the Grand Final, then get smashed in the first half because our best player had to go to the airport to see off the girl-next-door who was his sick grandmother's last wish for him to get married to ...

.. who then tells him to get back to the game and 'win it for Grandma', and hands him his boots that she miraculously packed with her stuff (his old college ones that he gave her at the start of the movie when he got drafted)...

.. then he comes back and gets on the field with the team 80 points down, and his teammates welcome him even though he buggered off and let them rot playing one man short, and kicks 12.2 in the second half (with the obligatory shots of the scoreboard, with our score changing in leaps and bounds while the opposition's goes up only by a little bit), but we are still down by 5 points with 8 seconds to go and a boundary throw-in in the forward pocket ..

.. you know the rest.

--

ps. You know how they say "truth is stranger than fiction"? It would have to be for us to win this year, but seriously, stranger things have happened. See Boston Red Sox -- the scenes of them finally breaking the curse of the Bambino (see how the won it and tell me it wasn't a real curse) wasn't actually made into a movie, but had the REAL victory scenes actually INCORPORATED into The Perfect Catch, the Boston Red Sox American version of Nick Hornby's Fever Pitch (which was about following Arsenal).

comrade
25-08-2010, 12:14 PM
If this was a Holywood movie, we would luck our way into the Grand Final, then get smashed in the first half because our best player had to go to the airport to see off the girl-next-door who was his sick grandmother's last wish for him to get married to ...

.. who then tells him to get back to the game and 'win it for Grandma', and hands him his boots that she miraculously packed with her stuff (his old college ones that he gave her at the start of the movie when he got drafted)...

.. then he comes back and gets on the field with the team 80 points down, and his teammates welcome him even though he buggered off and let them rot playing one man short, and kicks 12.2 in the second half (with the obligatory shots of the scoreboard, with our score changing in leaps and bounds while the opposition's goes up only by a little bit), but we are still down by 5 points with 8 seconds to go and a boundary throw-in in the forward pocket ..

.. you know the rest.

--

And by winning, we end apartheid in South Africa and Morgan Freeman hands us the premiership cup.

Greystache
25-08-2010, 12:19 PM

.. you know the rest.

Tear... :o

Ghost Dog
25-08-2010, 12:32 PM
So where are we at? Haircuts are needed! I saw one shot in the Herald recently. I'll try and find it and scan it. Liam Picken, Ryan, Tom Williams and Murph are all competing for scruff of the year. It's affecting our performance!! Absolute disgrace.
Now THIS is what we need. Slick, smooth and professional. Give em the chop rocket!

http://www.footycards.com.au/cartimages/main_1953_vfl_argus_football_portraits_54_ted_whitten.jpg

Murphy'sLore
25-08-2010, 12:49 PM
So where are we at? Haircuts are needed! I saw one shot in the Herald recently. I'll try and find it and scan it. Liam Picken, Ryan, Tom Williams and Murph are all competing for scruff of the year. It's affecting our performance!! Absolute disgrace.
Now THIS is what we need. Slick, smooth and professional. Give em the chop rocket!

My Nana would definitely agree with you, GD! How can they see where they're going with all that hair in their eyes?? And it's probably sapping their strength.

ratsmac
25-08-2010, 01:10 PM

They should all go to the field with Bazza/Eagle style doos. Now that might draw the attention away from our poor form. I bet Aker would come out with some article blaming Johnno or Rocket for skin heads.

LostDoggy
25-08-2010, 02:50 PM

.. you know the rest.

--

ps. You know how they say "truth is stranger than fiction"? It would have to be for us to win this year, but seriously, stranger things have happened. See Boston Red Sox -- the scenes of them finally breaking the curse of the Bambino (see how the won it and tell me it wasn't a real curse) wasn't actually made into a movie, but had the REAL victory scenes actually INCORPORATED into The Perfect Catch, the Boston Red Sox American version of Nick Hornby's Fever Pitch (which was about following Arsenal).

If grandma can spoil we could use her in our defence...