PDA

View Full Version : Our Current Plight - Bad Luck or Bad Management??

Jasper
22-08-2010, 10:25 AM
I've always heard that you need to have everything go right to win a premiership. At the start of the year I thought we had a chance, the feeling after the night grannie was good....but lets look at a few things:

Bad luck

1 - Key players cut down by injury - Higgins, Ward, Johnno, (and yes Akermanis), Murphy, Hahn have all played under duress this year. And now Wood, Morris, Cooney, Harbrow and Lake (3 of our quicker players) have been rolled with injuries at the business end of the year.

Simply put with injuries like this, we have never had a decent run at it all year, and it looks like our chances have been cruelled going into the finals. For equivalence in importance to respective teams in the first final, take out Swan (Cooney), Didak (Higgins), and have Presti (Morris) and Harry O (Lake) playing under duress. Also include Maxwell (Johnno)

2 - We all knew we needed some pace, that is why the Dogs were gunning for Lewis Jetta in the draft....we missed him by one draft spot. We recruited a new forward in Thorne to add some spark...he wrecks his knee - just shit luck

Management

The decision to keep both Eagle and Aker was a gamble that didn't pay off, both players lost their kicking power and accuracy, meaning two of our better run, carry and kick players have dropped off. Could we have picked up someone instead of Aker..? Probably, but I still think that at the time, keeping Aker was a good gamble given his premiership experience. It just didn't work.

The gamble in picking Thorne didn't pay off, just bad luck.

The gamble in picking up Hall has kept us competitive.

All in all you have to think the club has done okay with its list management.

You have to ask if we have just been unlucky with injury, or has our medical team performed well enough in preparing our players?

Leadership

Its hard to question leadership from the outside, you can only see what happens on the ground and we have all seen failures of the leaders of this club to stand up at critical times on the ground. I just think that if we had some luck our leadership issues on field could have resolved themselves. Others will say we make our own luck.

I hope we can give it a shake this year, but really the football gods have not smile on us this year, they have shat all over us all year.

GVGjr
22-08-2010, 10:39 AM
List management has been my main criticism over the last 12 months or longer. We just didn't cut into the list deep enough over the last two years and unfortunately I think it has exposed our lack of options.

I will write a bit more about this later.

LostDoggy
22-08-2010, 10:56 AM
List management has been my main criticism over the last 12 months or longer. We just didn't cut into the list deep enough over the last two years and unfortunately I think it has exposed our lack of options.

I will write a bit more about this later.

No we didnt test the real depth just kept recycling the same players to give ourselves the best chance but it hasnt worked out yet.

LostDoggy
22-08-2010, 11:02 AM
I've always heard that you need to have everything go right to win a premiership. At the start of the year I thought we had a chance, the feeling after the night grannie was good....but lets look at a few things:

Bad luck

1 - Key players cut down by injury - Higgins, Ward, Johnno, (and yes Akermanis), Murphy, Hahn have all played under duress this year. And now Wood, Morris, Cooney, Harbrow and Lake (3 of our quicker players) have been rolled with injuries at the business end of the year.

Simply put with injuries like this, we have never had a decent run at it all year, and it looks like our chances have been cruelled going into the finals. For equivalence in importance to respective teams in the first final, take out Swan (Cooney), Didak (Higgins), and have Presti (Morris) and Harry O (Lake) playing under duress. Also include Maxwell (Johnno)

2 - We all knew we needed some pace, that is why the Dogs were gunning for Lewis Jetta in the draft....we missed him by one draft spot. We recruited a new forward in Thorne to add some spark...he wrecks his knee - just shit luck

Management

The decision to keep both Eagle and Aker was a gamble that didn't pay off, both players lost their kicking power and accuracy, meaning two of our better run, carry and kick players have dropped off. Could we have picked up someone instead of Aker..? Probably, but I still think that at the time, keeping Aker was a good gamble given his premiership experience. It just didn't work.

The gamble in picking Thorne didn't pay off, just bad luck.

The gamble in picking up Hall has kept us competitive.

All in all you have to think the club has done okay with its list management.

You have to ask if we have just been unlucky with injury, or has our medical team performed well enough in preparing our players?Leadership

Its hard to question leadership from the outside, you can only see what happens on the ground and we have all seen failures of the leaders of this club to stand up at critical times on the ground. I just think that if we had some luck our leadership issues on field could have resolved themselves. Others will say we make our own luck.

I hope we can give it a shake this year, but really the football gods have not smile on us this year, they have shat all over us all year.

Our medical team has done its best but when you play majority of your games on a concrete carpark covered with a layer of green throw away lawn that was even harder than last year. You need a hell of alot of luck just to get through and we just didnt get it :mad:

Dazza
22-08-2010, 11:33 AM
I have no idea why the match committee choose to play injured players. The game has got to the point where if you are 1-2% off in your ability to chase you will get carved up.

anfo27
22-08-2010, 04:35 PM
The MC have stuffed time and again playing injured players. Why did they play Johnson when he was hobbling around last week?
Why did they play Higgins last week when they knew he was having issues with his energy levels?
this just doesn't make sense to me.
Its not bad luck at all, if you work hard enough you make your own luck and we never work hard enough.

LostDoggy
22-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Kelvinator, I have been in my kennel, licking my wounds and just ventured out in the world :D

You have raised some interesting points, i.e., take the equivalent players from the Pies, and see what they are left with. I guess these injuries have exposed a lack of depth at this time. We have some young guns who are not quite ready nor up to playing against the big boys at the moment, and yes, I agree with you, the gamble on Aker and Eagle just hasn't worked out (probably same for Johnno to a certain degree - he has never suffered through a year like this before). I don't think we can question the medical staff - IMO, all clubs play players who are injured to some extent all year - I'm sure lots are just managed/nursed through. Does this make it right - I don't know the answer to that.

Remi Moses
22-08-2010, 08:34 PM
Let's hold the post mortem when the season is over!
More Bad luck than anything,Johnno's body packing up and Cooney's hamstring. I agree they probably erred in playing Higgins when he wasn't right,he still may be back as will Cooney (after we get a break with the first final):p

LostDoggy
22-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Let's hold the post mortem when the season is over!
More Bad luck than anything,Johnno's body packing up and Cooney's hamstring. I agree they probably erred in playing Higgins when he wasn't right,he still may be back as will Cooney (after we get a break with the first final):p

Yep we cant wait for the week off :D

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Bad luck with injury. List management has some questions, but I'm sure all clubs do.

stefoid
23-08-2010, 12:51 PM
I think playing injured players is pretty much the norm.

The thing about playing injured players is the fans only notice when it doesnt work. Guaranteed a footy team carries more injuries into a game than fans will ever know. The MC is playing the odds - they arent stupid. If something doesnt work all the time they will stop doing that thing. It must work out more often that it doesnt.

I think a major part of it is that Boyd and Cross need good outside support to work effectively - we cant rely on Boyd for instance having to dispose of his own ball all the time, because his disposal is his weakness. With Cooney out, who is the opposition going to sit on? Griffen of course. And we know he can be undone by a hard tag.

mighty_west
24-08-2010, 11:08 AM
In regards to list management, you can understand why the club wanted to keep the older blokes, where the team is at, recruiting in Barry Hall as well as a few mature aged draftee's [although one could challenge the recruiters on some of the main deficiencies with some of these blokes whether it being not quick enough to play the game or attitude problems with the amounts of extensive testing these days, and working these things out before getting to the draft table].

There is no doubt that the core of our group is aging, but i'm not it is a major concern if we take into account the types of players coming though to take over these players, as long as the issues are addressed right now, this next trade & draft period.

Footy Classifieds also spoke about this last night, and here is a breakdown of the players getting on a bit.

34 - Brad Johnson

33 - Barry Hall

32 - Nathan Eagleton

31 - Ben Hudson

29 - Mitch Hahn, Lindsay Gilbee, Ryan Hargrave

28 - Matthew Boyd, Brian Lake, Dale Morris, Daniel Giansiracusa, Robert Murphy

Going on last year, and one could say that Brad Johnson could almost go another 2 seasons, but as well all know, the older players get, it can go downhill very quickly from there, and right now as it stands, with the ongoing achilles problems to the captain, that you can just about put a line through his name at the end of this season.

Eagleton & Hahn also seem to be on the outer, no longer best 22 players, and at their age, you'd think it was also time to move them along, Akermanis is also gone from the list.

So that takes care of 4 players, with only Johnno being a best 22 player right now.

Barry Hall still has another year left in him one would think, and the continued develpoment and playing in the senior side, Grant, Jones & Roughead will take over from Hall, Hahn & Johnson, they simply have to be best 22 players from next year on, plus Cordy & Panos coming through.

Let's say Ben Hudson has 2 years left in him, Jordan Roughead is arguable right now on par with Minson, plus we still have Minson at 27 years of age, and the continued development of Cordy, Prato is also a work in progress, but one would think that we also have Huddo covered.

The beauty about this season, is that Hahn & Eagleton are just depth players, and Johnno & Aker have hardly played this season, yet we still find ourselves right up there.

Then we have the core of our group, the 28 & 29 year olds, apart from Hahn, you would think that these players still have a good 3 or 4 years left in the game, we drafted 2 kids with elite kicking skills last year in Howard & Tutt, so you would imagine that they will cover Gilbee & Eagleton, for those that have had a look, especially at Howard, like what they see, i kind of compare him to a young Ryan O'Keefe.

The engine room of Cross & Boyd, as well as Hargrave, Mitch Wallis & Tom Liberatore will be great gets in this years draft, Libba is an engine room Sam Mitchell type of extracting inside mid, but with very good kicking skills [unlike the old man]...i personally know one of the fathers of a kid playing in the TAC Cup this year for the Dragons, he personally said to me, that Libba is going to be an absolute gun, and said there is no doubt in his mind what so ever that both will be 200 gamers for the Dogs.

The main area i think we need to address is our key defenders, we have drafted & brought in Howard & Wood, Tutt could end up a Gilbee type of rebounding defender, we drafted Everitt in 06 to play a key defensive role, buit he is clearly more a flanker type, Ryan Hargrave, we simply have to find replacements for Lake & Morris, that time is now.

Losing Harbrow will hurt, so one or 2 speedy mids with good skills is also on the menu for this years draft, a couple of key defenders as well as the 2 father / sons.

mjp
24-08-2010, 11:13 AM
I am pretty sure all of that reflects the hopes of the club MW.

A bit of bad luck (injury or illness) and a couple of the young guys not coming through (they wont all work out - we had high hopes for Jessie Wells at one point) will mean the reality is somewhat less than the vision.

LostDoggy
24-08-2010, 11:13 AM
we simply have to find replacements for Lake & Morris, that time is now.

Boumann.

mighty_west
24-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Boumann.

Is Boumann tight enough to play a Morris role though? Was disappointing to see him still being played in the Willy magoo's on the weekend.

Greystache
24-08-2010, 11:37 AM
Boumann.

3 years at the club and currently in Willi's reserves, yet everytime people talk about the exciting young players we have at the club he's one of the first players people name. :confused:

LostDoggy
24-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Boumann.

Honestly, even Markovic is ahead of him at the moment.

DOG GOD
24-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Honestly, even Markovic is ahead of him at the moment.

geez that shows where Boumann is atm then.

soupman
24-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Boumann.

I think he has been described as more of a Hargrave than a Morris or Lake. Reading the Willy posts it seems many posters think he has potential and ability to make it, if he works on certain areas of his game such as kicking longer.

LostDoggy
24-08-2010, 04:20 PM
Only mentioned Boumann in response to Mighty West's post about the young talent at the club and who we have in the pipeline as Morris/Lake replacement -- he was the obvious omission from the post, not pushing his wheelbarrow (I'm neither here nor there on him). No one is going to be exactly like-for-like replacement for Morris or Lake but Boumann has been earmarked for a key defensive role, and while I've only seen him play maybe ten times, the word around the traps and from the coaching staff is that he is no mug and definitely has the tools to make a breakthrough. Of course, we'll find out if the MC thinks the same at the end of the year.

mighty_west
24-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Only mentioned Boumann in response to Mighty West's post about the young talent at the club and who we have in the pipeline as Morris/Lake replacement -- he was the obvious omission from the post, not pushing his wheelbarrow (I'm neither here nor there on him). No one is going to be exactly like-for-like replacement for Morris or Lake but Boumann has been earmarked for a key defensive role, and while I've only seen him play maybe ten times, the word around the traps and from the coaching staff is that he is no mug and definitely has the tools to make a breakthrough. Of course, we'll find out if the MC thinks the same at the end of the year.

It was unfortunate that he buggered up in the pre season, he should have played in the NAB Cup earlier this year, who knows what that could have done for his confidence, things could have turned full circle for him, i really hope we give him more time, he just has something...not as confident with Mulligan or Markovic though.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-08-2010, 04:30 PM

He certainly shows positive signs each time you see him play, but he hasn't been able to take his game to another level. If he did, he would of cracked a game at senior AFL level by now.

This relates back to player management; what do they do next? Is it worth giving Boumann a game to:
a) See how he performs and if he can hold his own.
b) Give him a taste in a hope to accelerate his desire/development (See Grant/Jones)

bornadog
24-08-2010, 05:03 PM
He certainly shows positive signs each time you see him play, but he hasn't been able to take his game to another level. If he did, he would of cracked a game at senior AFL level by now.

This relates back to player management; what do they do next? Is it worth giving Boumann a game to:
a) See how he performs and if he can hold his own.
b) Give him a taste in a hope to accelerate his desire/development (See Grant/Jones)

Boumanns biggest issue is his attack on the ball. He tends to hang back a bit and then jump for the punch away. It doesn't work in every situation and he needs to be a bit harder. He just turned 21 last week and maybe should be given one more year.

Greystache
24-08-2010, 05:11 PM

That's all fair enough, and I wasn't specifically referring to you when I said Boumann gets talked up a lot. I think he has some talent, but I'm not sure he'll ever develop his body enough to play as a key defender.

Sockeye Salmon
24-08-2010, 05:16 PM
Boumanns biggest issue is his attack on the ball. He tends to hang back a bit and then jump for the punch away. It doesn't work in every situation and he needs to be a bit harder. He just turned 21 last week and maybe should be given one more year.

He's contracted for another year so unless he has stuffed up majorly somewhere along the line (not totally out of the realms of possibility, there must be some reason he was playing Willi reserves, his form was OK) he will be retained.

Greystache
24-08-2010, 05:23 PM
It was unfortunate that he buggered up in the pre season, he should have played in the NAB Cup earlier this year, who knows what that could have done for his confidence, things could have turned full circle for him, i really hope we give him more time, he just has something...not as confident with Mulligan or Markovic though.

It was a setback, but when you've been on the list 3 years you'd think he'd have grown out of that kind if rubbish by now. When you're still a fringe player at the club you'd think he'd make sure there was no questions marks over his attitude too.

Agreed, he's definitely shown development but it's been painfully slow, you wonder how much time the club will be prepared to give him.

Yeah I have question marks over about his preparedness to do the things requiring courage.

He's contracted for next year so you'd think he's got one more, but I would've thought he would need to show significant progress and have no further misdemeanors.

Ghost Dog
24-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Regards the OP, The comparison with Collingwood and how their list might look with the gaping holes we have, is a good one.
Certainly presents an opportunity for somebody else in the midfield. Somebody!

''These things happen. It's just footy. You get tested by these sorts of things from time to time,'' Rocket Eade.

bornadog
24-08-2010, 06:05 PM
The comparison with Collingwood and how their list might look is a good one.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing I guess. It's all about the midfield for us really isn't it?
Without Adam, we lack class there.

Boyd may not be considered classy, but he is also being touted as an All Australian, Griffen is class, but nees to step up with Adam missing. We need Boyd to ensure his disposal hurts the opposition.