PDA

View Full Version : Barry Hall: Always depart on good terms

BulldogBelle
22-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Excellent article by Barry Hall...

Always depart on good terms (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/always-depart-on-good-terms-20100821-139y4.html)
The Age | Barry Hall | August 22, 2010

I'LL BE honest and admit that last year when things were coming to an abrupt and rocky end for me at the Swans, there were times when I considered going public and playing the blame game.

It would have been easy to blow up and carry on. It's human nature that if something substantial happens to you, you look at everyone else first for someone to blame. For me, the thing I had to do was accept responsibility because I was the one who had stuffed up. I was fortunate that I had some really good people around me to help me through it and make the right decisions, decisions I'm very thankful I made.

I had Phil Mullen, then the Swans' player welfare manager and now my manager, beside me every step of the way. If I was straying down the wrong path, Phil and others would put me back on the right track again. Talking things through before reacting was the way to go.

I can think irrationally about things, but, thankfully, most of the time before I've said or written something I would regret, I've had people put me straight. It's amazing how many times you sit down, think about things and say: ''Geez, lucky I didn't say that because it was wrong.''

At the end of the day, I feel I can go back to the Swans without feeling uncomfortable. Not burning bridges was the sensible way to go. I won a premiership there and I was a captain of the club, so it was important to do that, to be able to feel that way. I think Phil realised that early on, while it took me a bit of time.

Without people knowing too many details about what goes on behind closed doors, it makes if hard for the public to judge what is right and what isn't and whose side to take. In the end, if it's at least seen as an amicable split, then it's a good result for the club and player, no matter who is wrong or right.

Click HERE (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/always-depart-on-good-terms-20100821-139y4.html) to read the remainder of the article....

ledge
22-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Looks like even Bazza has had enough of Akers crap and had to say something in the end.

BulldogBelle
22-08-2010, 07:54 PM
Looks like even Bazza has had enough of Akers crap and had to say something in the end.

Seems like it - hence his closing paragraph.

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Yep, it does look like Baz felt that enough was enough with Aker's very public opinions. The more it goes on, I think the more Aker shoots himself in the foot - pretty sad way to end a highly decorated career me thinks! :o

Ghost Dog
23-08-2010, 12:15 PM
I kind of like the way Barry writes. It's kind of understated and 'matter-of-fact'. Some might say a bit bland, but I dunno; I just like it.

AndrewP6
23-08-2010, 07:04 PM
I kind of like the way Barry writes. It's kind of understated and 'matter-of-fact'. Some might say a bit bland, but I dunno; I just like it.

Agreed.

azabob
23-08-2010, 07:05 PM

Agreed.

I'm fairly sure he has a ghost writer.

AndrewP6
23-08-2010, 07:59 PM
I'm fairly sure he has a ghost writer.

Me too, but he is a no-nonsense, straight-ahead sort of fella.