mighty_west
23-08-2010, 03:15 PM
F$#@%!!!!!!!..:(

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Terrible news on all three, especially Cooney. :(

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Just saw on twitter, Cooney gone for 5-6 weeks. Season over for the team now?

angelopetraglia
23-08-2010, 03:18 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2010/news/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/100964/default.aspx

Official from the Bulldogs website. Cooney 5-6 weeks! Morris 2 weeks! What ladder did we walk under?

Greystache
23-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Couldn't have picked a worse player to lose, we have no one like him as a replacement. Harbrow going to have to step up in the midfield.

mighty_west
23-08-2010, 03:21 PM
Couldn't have picked a worse player to lose, we have no one like him as a replacement. Harbrow going to have to step up in the midfield.

We have no choice but to play Harbrow in the middle, and step up to the plate!

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Any little ounce of faith i had left has just been absolutely destroyed.

The Pie Man
23-08-2010, 03:24 PM
Wow.... :(

bornadog
23-08-2010, 03:26 PM

Addison in to the backline and Harbrow the middle.

The Pie Man
23-08-2010, 03:27 PM

I think Gia has to spend more time in the midfield as well - if only to get more involved in the game

comrade
23-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Woe.

chef
23-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Wow. Thats f#$%^d.:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Greystache
23-08-2010, 03:36 PM

Griffen is going to need to have a career best 4-5 weeks too if we're going to have any chance.

SlimPickens
23-08-2010, 03:38 PM
Shitttttttttttttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is horrible news, i still think Morris will be right for the pies week 1 of the finals.

Greystache
23-08-2010, 03:38 PM
Did I mention F@%K!!!!!!

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Bloody Hell Im gutted!!!!!!!!! Massive importance on getting Wood back I dont know where we go from here. It didnt even look that bad???? :mad::eek::(:confused:

SlimPickens
23-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Griffen is going to need to have a career best 4-5 weeks too if we're going to have any chance.

Yep and he'll get the number 1 tag also.

mighty_west
23-08-2010, 03:45 PM

Which is another reason we need Harbrow in there.

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Actually, Gia to the middle, and Harbrow to the defensive forward role. Murph to the backline, rotate with Harbrow as required. Wood to come in as well.

Gia, proven possession winner and best ball user, has to be Coons's replacement in the centreline. Harbrow = Cyril-lite, fast and desperate enough to keep the ball in the front end, has some experience early in career up forward, can rotate through middle for impact when necessary. (I know he hasn't done it consistently, but he sure as heck has a better chance of playing this role than to start playing in the middle full-time)

No more shootouts, just lock games down, play low-scoring, accountable football, goal-side of opponent, multiple stoppages, leave Pagan's paddock up front and let Bazz + 1 or 2 win it for us. Percentage football, need to take every single chance we get. Stranger things have happened.

Remi Moses
23-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Now it's up to the senior core to step up and yes I'm talking about the players who have played 100 games and more! Are those players going to hide behind injuries or finally step up:mad:

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Cursed.

Greystache
23-08-2010, 03:48 PM

Yep, just makes needing a team effort from the midfield even more important. Boyd and Cross really need to lock down their opponents and block and create space for Griffen and possibly Harbow to create run. But will they do it?

craigsahibee
23-08-2010, 03:56 PM
All of these injuries point to Tim Callan getting another game in the finals. We are in serious trouble.

Remi Moses
23-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Callan or Addison ? Harbrow in the guts,Forward to lock the ball in (Hooper?)Wood for the defensive run Harbrow creates! Griffen needs to be immense for the remainder of the season. Everitt down back to replace Dale?

bornadog
23-08-2010, 04:12 PM
all of these injuries point to tim callan getting another game in the finals. We are in serious trouble.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

stefoid
23-08-2010, 04:14 PM

The opposition is going to sit on Griffen - we need to have some other good users in there - Guido and Harbrow to the midfield, we dont have a choice.

Dazza
23-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Ugh... That's the season done and dusted then.

****ing bullshit. :mad:

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 04:17 PM
I guess Aker has got his wish...

Topdog
23-08-2010, 04:19 PM
Season over. We suck so much without Coon.

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 04:22 PM

I agree. Even is he isn't playing well his presence on the field is always important. Clubs always closely watch him which then frees up others.

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Well Woofers we are about to find out just how much ticker this team has really got.

choconmientay
23-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Bloody Hell Im gutted!!!!!!!!! Massive importance on getting Wood back I dont know where we go from here. It didnt even look that bad???? :mad::eek::(:confused:

Watched "TAC Cup: Future Stars" last Sunday on 9. Easton was on the show and did mention he will be right and up for selection for the first final. So, we just need to wait and hope for the best.

If he's in, we can release Harbrow to the midfield.

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Where's the myth that Jarrod can play in the middle come from? Griff and Gablett took the best part of three years to learn how to cope with the rigours of a run-with role, the likes of Rioli and Goddard still can't quite do it consistently, but Harbrow, who has never played in the middle for any length of time, is going to magically become the second coming of Chris Judd and lead a midfield missing its most important player in the heat of an AFL finals campaign? I like fairy tales as much as the next guy, but seriously.

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Watched "TAC Cup: Future Stars" last Sunday on 9. Easton was on the show and did mention he will be right and up for selection for the first final. So, we just need to wait and hope for the best.

If he's in, we can release Harbrow to the midfield.

Ok well thats at least something to look forward to. I cannot remember a player as being as important to a club after the amount of games he has played. Or am I rating him to high?

Desipura
23-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Ok well thats at least something to look forward to. I cannot remember a player as being as important to a club after the amount of games he has played. Or am I rating him to high?
You are probably rating him higher than he should be "see 20 game champion rule introduced by Sockeye"

BulldogBelle
23-08-2010, 04:48 PM

I know, as soon as he went down - I just shook my head and thought did it have to be him of all people.

Let's hope a few others stand up and go on with it!

Ozza
23-08-2010, 04:50 PM
Morris being out really rubs salt into the wounds. I'm petrified of what will happen in the first final.

Jasper
23-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Cursed.

If we play the "CURSE" card, we need a name.

i.e. Curse of the Bambino - Boston Red Sox
Curse of the Goat - Chicago Cubs

Any suggestions?

Curse of the Blonde with the brown goatee?

Sedat
23-08-2010, 05:05 PM
On the plus side, it was great getting valuable game time into Eagleton and Hahn on the weekend in readiness for September :rolleyes:

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 05:11 PM
I am just not ready to throw it all in...sure it will test our depth, but really whats the worst that can happen from here? At least we will know if some of those fringe type players are worth hanging onto into next season. It's a funny game...that oval ball will eventually start going our way!!

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 05:18 PM
Whatever 22 guys get the chance to wear our jumper in week 1 of the finals all need to step up. Fight like there is no tomorrow, and you just never know.

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Let's go in the game with a 'negative' attitude. Thinking we have no chance and hopefully get the best surprise ever if we win. Instead of going into the game with some sort of hope which gets crushed like it has every big game this year.

mighty_west
23-08-2010, 05:21 PM
I am just not ready to throw it all in...sure it will test our depth, but really whats the worst that can happen from here? At least we will know if some of those fringe type players are worth hanging onto into next season. It's a funny game...that oval ball will eventually start going our way!!

I am normally a half a glass full guy, but after feeling flat as a tack after Saturday night, the knife has really dug in and twisted around after todays news......plus taking into account how dominating both Geelong & the Pies have been.

mighty_west
23-08-2010, 05:22 PM
On the plus side, it was great getting valuable game time into Eagleton and Hahn on the weekend in readiness for September :rolleyes:

Awesome..................

jazzadogs
23-08-2010, 05:22 PM
Wow. Can't help but think that's just about it. I hope like nothing else that they can pull something out of their arses, but Cooney and Morris are two of our most important players.

Gutted. And it feels silly, because it's not actually over, but I just can't see a way back.

Remi Moses
23-08-2010, 05:30 PM
We couldn't go with The Babe theory
It would have to be the goat(apologies Chicago 1)

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Actually, Gia to the middle, and Harbrow to the defensive forward role. Murph to the backline, rotate with Harbrow as required. Wood to come in as well.

Gia, proven possession winner and best ball user, has to be Coons's replacement in the centreline. Harbrow = Cyril-lite, fast and desperate enough to keep the ball in the front end, has some experience early in career up forward, can rotate through middle for impact when necessary. (I know he hasn't done it consistently, but he sure as heck has a better chance of playing this role than to start playing in the middle full-time)

No more shootouts, just lock games down, play low-scoring, accountable football, goal-side of opponent, multiple stoppages, leave Pagan's paddock up front and let Bazz + 1 or 2 win it for us. Percentage football, need to take every single chance we get. Stranger things have happened.

Well said Lantern - here's the chance for our boys to just show us what ticker they have!

anfo27
23-08-2010, 05:58 PM
If we play the "CURSE" card, we need a name.

i.e. Curse of the Bambino - Boston Red Sox
Curse of the Goat - Chicago Cubs

Any suggestions?

Curse of the Blonde with the brown goatee?

I like your work captain.

Mofra
23-08-2010, 05:59 PM
DFA needed now. Pound for pound the toughest bloke on the list, 35 possies weekend before last.

Belt the opposition.

The Underdog
23-08-2010, 06:00 PM
Where's the myth that Jarrod can play in the middle come from? Griff and Gablett took the best part of three years to learn how to cope with the rigours of a run-with role, the likes of Rioli and Goddard still can't quite do it consistently, but Harbrow, who has never played in the middle for any length of time, is going to magically become the second coming of Chris Judd and lead a midfield missing its most important player in the heat of an AFL finals campaign? I like fairy tales as much as the next guy, but seriously.

I think it is more based around the fact that he is the only top 10 player we have left with pace who is capable of using the ball well. Sure we can bring Gia into the middle and he'll acquit himself well but we are just going to be slower. At least if we roll the dice on moving Harbrow up the ground it adds some speed to an area where we are hugely deficient. Easton Wood has largely proved that he can hold onto a spot in the backline and provide run so as long as he's back he can help plug the hole.
Sure it might not work and you're right, he doesn't have the runs on the board there but I think at least for some short periods it's worth a shot.

anfo27
23-08-2010, 06:05 PM
It doesn't matter who the players are that run out there, its how they play that counts. We could have the bulldogs team of the century out there the last 2 weeks and the result would be the same if they come out there with that effort.
All i want is for them to go out there and play like their life depended on it and come off knowing they couldn't give any more. If they can do that they will give themselves every chance and then we will start making our own luck.

always right
23-08-2010, 06:11 PM
Looking forward to Home and Away tonight.

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 06:19 PM
It doesn't matter who the players are that run out there, its how they play that counts. We could have the bulldogs team of the century out there the last 2 weeks and the result would be the same if they come out there with that effort.
All i want is for them to go out there and play like their life depended on it and come off knowing they couldn't give any more. If they can do that they will give themselves every chance and then we will start making our own luck.

Agree - 22 vs 22 - and all you ask from the players that run out is that they give their all physically and mentally for those 2 hours. If they do that and come up short well so be it.

GVGjr
23-08-2010, 06:30 PM
Just saw on twitter, Cooney gone for 5-6 weeks. Season over for the team now?

One player shouldn't make that much of a difference but coupled with a few other injuries it's going to be a tough road back.

AndrewP6
23-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Far Canal. Just Far Canal.

ratsmac
23-08-2010, 07:47 PM
Aleast we have an excuse for going out the finals in straight sets. With the effort shown in the last two weeks we would gone out in straight sets with our best 22. Aker would be handy about now.

The Adelaide Connection
23-08-2010, 07:52 PM
If Adelaide (you know the team we beat when none of our players could breathe) can do what they did to Collingwod on Saturday night with all of their outs then we are a long way from finished.

It may be a long shot but I am still booking some flights.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Aleast we have an excuse for going out the finals in straight sets.

A piss poor excuse.

All it does is paper over the absolute rubbish we've served up this season. I hope the coaching staff/players don't take the same view and excuse.

Flamethrower
23-08-2010, 08:10 PM
When Coons went down on Saturday night I immediately thought it was a bad one. Then I heard the club saying he could be back semi final weekend and my hopes were raised slightly. Unfortunately my initial thought was closer to the mark. :(

This will really test our depth now.

ratsmac
23-08-2010, 08:13 PM
A piss poor excuse.

All it does is paper over the absolute rubbish we've served up this season. I hope the coaching staff/players don't take the same view and excuse.

Sorry my point wasn't the excuse rather the effort shown in the last two weeks. Should of worded it better.

azabob
23-08-2010, 08:20 PM
A piss poor excuse.

Couldn't agree more. I have a feeling they will regardless of how far we go.

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 08:32 PM
If Adelaide (you know the team we beat when none of our players could breathe) can do what they did to Collingwod on Saturday night with all of their outs then we are a long way from finished.

It may be a long shot but I am still booking some flights.

:) Good to hear! Collingwood will probably belt us but we may play Freo here Morris and Wood will be back and Id back us in that, then who knows how we will be going, whose to say Cooney wont get up by the Prelim? I know they said 5 - 6 but you never know, he wont be fit but chuck him in the goal square and you never know its a Prelim anythin can happen! If the Saints win their first final which I think they will our season is back on!

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 08:38 PM
I was driving my friend through Geelong after uni when SEN started talking about the Bulldogs injuries. They said Cooney was out for 5-6, I started to get angry/upset, then they said Johnno was out for two, I was further angered, although not surprised by that one. Then they said that Dale was out for 2 weeks...my friend knows of my Dale love well, poor girl feared for her life. It wasn't pretty. But don't worry, there were no 12 car pile ups.

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Ok you would think that we had shot Bambi..... that's how bad it feels. Why can't this sort of bad luck happen to the Pies or the Cats. no it's just us we can't get a break. I wish Coons the best of luck in his recovery and I hope the guys who come in to the team play out of their skins. Career defining....we have to cling to something!!!;)

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 09:05 PM

How about Lukas Markovic if hes not on the rookie not too sure. Its Impossible to replace Morris but with a similar Height and weight surely he could get a look in. I know its a roughy but wasnt he recriuted for moments like these?

AndrewP6
23-08-2010, 09:07 PM
Even my rabid Pie-supporting mate at work was nice to me today. It must be bad...

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 09:10 PM
I was driving my friend through Geelong after uni when SEN started talking about the Bulldogs injuries. They said Cooney was out for 5-6, I started to get angry/upset, then they said Johnno was out for two, I was further angered, although not surprised by that one. Then they said that Dale was out for 2 weeks...my friend knows of my Dale love well, poor girl feared for her life. It wasn't pretty. But don't worry, there were no 12 car pile ups.

Off topic, but are you at Uni in Geelong?

And on topic, excuse me while I go weep with despair over all of this injury news in the corner.

BulldogBelle
23-08-2010, 09:20 PM
Even my rabid Pie-supporting mate at work was nice to me today. It must be bad...

Same, my boss was extremely sympathetic for a Collingwood supporter - I have to say I have the best boss, he tried to highlight the good points almost took him an hour though to convince me :D We just have to press on and hope for the best.

craigsahibee
23-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Same, my boss was extremely sympathetic for a Collingwood supporter - I have to say I have the best boss, he tried to highlight the good points almost took him an hour though to convince me :D We just have to press on and hope for the best.

I was so upset I resigned, gave my 4 weeks notice and they told me to finish up today. Maybe a bit too drastic, yeah sure..... but I am pretty angry.

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 09:56 PM

:) Dont trust em Belle they will have no sympathy next week all that I hope for is the Hawks hit em with everythin they have got :)

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 10:00 PM
We can hope that other players can step up and fill the void of the missing players, but as a sour note i heard today that Harbrow has signed a $600k contract for the Gold Coast and has been benched by the dogs lately, BUT that may not be the case. I believe that the injury may be true and he was not benched as stated.

Go Dogs!!!!!!!!

BulldogBelle
23-08-2010, 10:20 PM
:) Dont trust em Belle they will have no sympathy next week all that I hope for is the Hawks hit em with everythin they have got :)

Perhaps rooner17, although being his PA he entrusts his day to day schedule with me to manage and knows to keep on my good side, especially where football is concerned. ;)

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 11:33 PM
Off topic, but are you at Uni in Geelong?

And on topic, excuse me while I go weep with despair over all of this injury news in the corner.

Yeah, Deakin Waurn Ponds. I'm glad I picked it over Melbourne/Monash etc. I really like it there.

I'm at a loss to explain this season, I just can't believe that something so promising has turned out like this...and we're still top 4. I can't explain it.

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 11:50 PM
Yeah, Deakin Waurn Ponds. I'm glad I picked it over Melbourne/Monash etc. I really like it there.

I'm at a loss to explain this season, I just can't believe that something so promising has turned out like this...and we're still top 4. I can't explain it.

No freaking way. I'm at Deakin Waurn Ponds too! Wow, this is weird. And yeah, I can't belive we're still top four either.

Scraggers
24-08-2010, 02:12 AM
Season's not over ... in fact, its just started

LostDoggy
24-08-2010, 09:09 AM

Agree - as long as they have a red hot crack at it, I won't be totally shattered. We have whimpered through the last 2 weeks, and I don't want to see that anymore. Come out barking and snarling boys, and give it your all! Who knows what will happen???

Murphy'sLore
24-08-2010, 10:43 AM
I keep having this recurring image of Aker huddled in a darkened room with a handful of wax dolls and a great big box of pins...

DOG GOD
24-08-2010, 11:06 AM
I keep having this recurring image of Aker huddled in a darkened room with a handful of wax dolls and a great big box of pins...

Sitting crouched, naked, with a wall of photos of bulldogs admin, coaches and players with all their eyes gouged out.

Hmm maybe ive been watching too many movies :)

Cyberdoggie
24-08-2010, 12:29 PM

Hmm, our problems are in the middle at the moment.
We are getting smashed in the contests and our midfielders aren't being accountable.
We only have Cooney and Griffen who are our classy and speedy midfielders, and with Cooney out that means that Griffen will get all the attention and we again lack class there.

While moving Harbrow to the middle i can't see how a slightly built backline player with suspect shoulders will have an impact. He can't lay a tackle at the moment and will get smashed from piller to post if he goes there.

I think we may have to try Addison there. He doesn't have class and lacks confidence with the ball but you can't fault his aggression and contested work. Dylan may help us stop the easy center clearances we have been allowing and help us get our hands on the ball.

Addison has been playing the middle at Willy and he has finally been getting high disposal counts, which he has never had in his career. I think he has had 35 disposals twice in the last few weeks now (correct me if i'm wrong).

We need hard tough bodies in there and some accountability. pace would also be nice but i'd settle for ugly as long as we can get our hands on the ball and put some bloody pressure on the opposition.

The other problem is what to do with our senior group of Gilbee, Murphy, Hahn, Gia and Hargrave. They were all awful last week and Gilbee and Hargrave were also awful against Geelong the week before.

Hargrave has been butchering the ball of late. He has been turning the ball over nearly every kick he makes, and Gilbee isn't doing much better.

Geelong pressure is now perceived pressure and instead of trying to fight it by taking risks and backing themselves, we are retreating and panicking and making all the wrong options.

How do you turn that around? We did it once this year, we can do it again. But it will take some leadership and direction, and even though Cooney doesn't have a great finals record, his loss will make that harder.

ratsmac
24-08-2010, 07:27 PM
I haven't heard anything today but did any more bulldogs players get injured today by any chance?

AndrewP6
24-08-2010, 07:34 PM
I haven't heard anything today but did any more bulldogs players get injured today by any chance?

No, but several members of the match committee have had persistent heart palpitations. ;)

ratsmac
25-08-2010, 01:38 PM

I said this in jest but I just heard Morris is out for the rest of the season with a cracked vertibrae. I'll keep my mouth shut in future :(

LostDoggy
25-08-2010, 01:39 PM
I said this in jest but I just heard Morris is out for the rest of the season with a cracked vertibrae. I'll keep my mouth shut in future :(

You have got to be kidding me. Somebody is seriously out to get us this year.

bornadog
25-08-2010, 02:14 PM
and Cooney is a 10 week injury.

On a brighter note, Higgo a chance this week.

1eyedog
25-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Is Cooney out for 10 a definite? So no chance at all?

LostDoggy
25-08-2010, 05:00 PM
It's such a meaningless figure with 1 - 5 weeks left in a season. Is it 10 actual weeks out, meaning that he'll come back in time to play in November, or 10 weeks meaning 5 weeks in the finals and the first 5 rounds next year, which is more like a 5 month injury? Or if we go out in straight sets, does that mean that he still has to serve 7 weeks of his injury at the start of the season?

It's season ending, or its not.

LostDoggy
25-08-2010, 07:54 PM
It's such a meaningless figure with 1 - 5 weeks left in a season. Is it 10 actual weeks out, meaning that he'll come back in time to play in November, or 10 weeks meaning 5 weeks in the finals and the first 5 rounds next year, which is more like a 5 month injury? Or if we go out in straight sets, does that mean that he still has to serve 7 weeks of his injury at the start of the season?

It's season ending, or its not.

The case of the jaded Lantern? OK... me too. But I am sure they mean 10 weeks until full training or 1st drop for the redbacks. Must have been a bad tear.

AndrewP6
25-08-2010, 09:50 PM
Bloody hell.

Sedat
25-08-2010, 10:18 PM
The case of the jaded Lantern? OK... me too. But I am sure they mean 10 weeks until full training or 1st drop for the redbacks. Must have been a bad tear.
Was high up the leg - looked pretty similar to Gibson and Reiwoldt. Let's just get him right for pre-season training.

We're not the only team to suffer from injuries to key players. Sydney have been without their Dale Morris, Craig Bolton, for virtually the whole season. Reiwoldt missing for 3 months. Ottens likewise. Our timing stinks with regard to our injuries, but we have significant improvement in a core group of underperforming senior players that can go a long way to redressing our injury losses. And if the players that come in can contribute and perform a role for the team, we can be fiercely competitive in September.