PDA

View Full Version : Memo to Griffen - Time to step up a level

bornadog
23-08-2010, 04:33 PM
One of the most talented players in the AFL and overall has had a pretty good season. However, he has had the luxury of not getting the best tagger that privilege goes to Cooney. The past two weeks when Cooney has been down Griffo has struggled to make an impact.

The past two finals series, Griffen has been outstanding and our best player. Now that Cooney will be missing, we need Ryan to step up and take his game to another level. He needs to dominate and take on the game and exert his influence.

In my opinion, he is now our most important player that can influence the outcome of a game and perhaps be the one to take us to the Grand Final.

Desipura
23-08-2010, 04:36 PM
One of the most talented players in the AFL and overall has had a pretty good season. However, he has had the luxury of not getting the best tagger that privilege goes to Cooney. The past two weeks when Cooney has been down Griffo has struggled to make an impact.

The past two finals series, Griffen has been outstanding and our best player. Now that Cooney will be missing, we need Ryan to step up and take his game to another level. He needs to dominate and take on the game and exert his influence.

In my opinion, he is now our most important player that can influence the outcome of a game and perhaps be the one to take us to the Grand Final.
Now that is optimistic......or is it dillusional? :D

bornadog
23-08-2010, 04:38 PM

Got to be in it to win it. We are in the top four with a double chance. All players need to step up, and I am asking Griffen to step up even more.

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 04:43 PM

Yep we are about to find out who our real Leaders are.

Ozza
23-08-2010, 04:58 PM
Griffen has performed well in 6 of the 7 finals he has played in. There's no doubt that he is capable. But we're going to need everyone to step up a great deal to even have a remotely successful September.

Greystache
23-08-2010, 05:01 PM
It's situations like this in which champions have forged their reputations, let's hope this is a career defining moment for Griffen.

bornadog
23-08-2010, 05:08 PM
It's situations like this in which champions have forged their reputations, let's hope this is a career defining moment for Griffen.

Exactly.

Remi Moses
23-08-2010, 05:38 PM
Good thread need Griff to be exceptional. Need the 99 batch to step up thankyou!
For all the leadership rhetoric we need action right now!!!

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 05:43 PM
Let's not just put the pressure on Griff, I think all the boys need to step up and show us that when the chips are down, the dogs just get going :D

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 06:07 PM
Boyd to. His disposal efficiency has been terrible in recet weeks

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 06:43 PM
For all the leadership rhetoric we need action right now!!!

Couldn't have said it better myself. There was a lot of waffle about 'standing up' as a club in the Aker affair, but all I saw were a bunch of grown men collectively peeing their pants with preciousness. If we fall away from here, it would be fair to say that talk is cheap, injuries or no. (and for those who claim that the same happened at Brisbane, yes it did, and where have they been as a club or culture since? Either a club is strong enough to deal with these things in-house or in the off-season, or it isn't. We weren't, which would be okay if we displayed leadership on-the-field. Still waiting.)

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 06:53 PM

Give Up never won a race

comrade
23-08-2010, 07:32 PM

Which ones are you counting on?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-08-2010, 07:38 PM

oh.. I don't know...... how bout the lot of them!! :D

It would be nice for a change, especially that it's times like these where those chosen to lead really need to show their character

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 07:41 PM

They dont all have to come from the leadership group. Ward has it in him, Picken too. It needs to pick up across the board.

Others...

Huddo, Griff, Boyd, Cross, Gia, Lake, Gilbee, Hargrave, Eade, Ghost Dog, BAZZA, Mitch, Eagle... All need to take responsibility, share it, live it, for the jumper.

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Griffen will be tagged to within an inch of his life. No other player in the Bulldog team poses any danger.
So it would be a monumental effort from Ryan to dominate.

We really need to experiment in the Essendon game and see what who else can play the outside runner role. I'm thinking Harbrow, Hill, Stack.

comrade
23-08-2010, 07:44 PM
They dont all have to come from the leadership group. Ward has it in him, Picken too. It needs to pick up across the board.

Others...

Huddo, Griff, Boyd, Cross, Gia, Lake, Gilbee, Hargrave, Eade, Ghost Dog, BAZZA, Mitch, Eagle... All need to take responsibility, share it, live it, for the jumper.

Oh, I agree. The fact we've barely seen an inkling of it doesn't fill me with much confidence that they'll suddenly grab a game by the throat and determine the outcome.

Jasper
23-08-2010, 07:45 PM
This is a good discussion point, but i would have thought their were many others that needed to be put in the gun before grif. I think he is already standing up I thought he was the only one creating any run against the cats and and was b.o.g for us on sat night.

LostDoggy
23-08-2010, 08:04 PM

You could say the obvious in the middle but we are going to need players like Hargrave and Gilbee to stand up. Even though Hargrave has been preety good lately we are really going to need them now.

comrade
23-08-2010, 08:07 PM
This is a good discussion point, but i would have thought their were many others that needed to be put in the gun before grif. I think he is already standing up I thought he was the only one creating any run against the cats and and was b.o.g for us on sat night.

It's not a negative thread, rather it's identifying him as perhaps the one player we have left that has the ability to take control of a final.

ratsmac
23-08-2010, 08:09 PM
Griff already works his butt off. Boyd and cross are both gun players too but something is seriously wrong in the midfield. Ok Cooney is out but we have covered his absence before. What the hell is going on. I am not conceding that the flu has caused this. Maybe the Aker thing has finally caught up with them. I don't know. What I do know is that Griff probably has to lift but with his role he needs players around him putting on blocks and bumps to make holes for him to run through ie Chris Judd senario. He will have a close tag, so he will need help. He can't do it alone, and sometimes I think he is.

SlimPickens
23-08-2010, 09:20 PM
Griff already works his butt off. Boyd and cross are both gun players too but something is seriously wrong in the midfield. Ok Cooney is out but we have covered his absence before. What the hell is going on. I am not conceding that the flu has caused this. Maybe the Aker thing has finally caught up with them. I don't know. What I do know is that Griff probably has to lift but with his role he needs players around him putting on blocks and bumps to make holes for him to run through ie Chris Judd senario. He will have a close tag, so he will need help. He can't do it alone, and sometimes I think he is.

Exactly right...I think Addison and Pickens are the two who are capable of giving Griff some support and free him up from a tagger. If teams do decide to play a heavy tag on Griff, i'd move him straight to full forward and open up the space around him.

Oh and if you need to see how its done watch Joel Corey....Gary Ablett should give him one of his brownlows.

EasternWest
26-08-2010, 01:24 AM
Griffen will be tagged to within an inch of his life. No other player in the Bulldog team poses any danger.
So it would be a monumental effort from Ryan to dominate.

We really need to experiment in the Essendon game and see what who else can play the outside runner role. I'm thinking Harbrow, Hill, Stack.

Good point HKB. I'd love for Griff to have a 35 touch 3 goal finals performance, but with the scrutiny he's sure to come under, if he can mange to break a few lines and snag a few goals I think he'll have done his bit.

I keep thinking of the Griff that played in last years PF. I hope that guy turns up, he was phenomenal.

Cyberdoggie
26-08-2010, 02:14 PM

I totally agree.

We will see if Boyd, Gia, Murphy, Gilbee and Cross can lift the side at all.

They are the senior players, they are in the leadership group (except for gilbs).

They haven't stood up like we would expect them to over the last two weeks, so the litmus test is upon them.

If we fail then some very hard decisions will need to be made season end.

Axe Man
26-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Gary Ablett should give him one of his brownlows.

Who did he steal the second one from?:confused:

bornadog
26-08-2010, 11:52 PM
Who did he steal the second one from?:confused:

Maybe he thinks 2010 is a give me:D

Go_Dogs
27-08-2010, 08:52 AM
I think Griff HAS stepped up this year.

Hopefully he can have a repeat of his September performance from last year. And hopefully we get to see him and Cooney in full fitness tearing a finals series apart someday...

LostDoggy
27-08-2010, 11:07 AM
I think Griff HAS stepped up this year.

Hopefully he can have a repeat of his September performance from last year. And hopefully we get to see him and Cooney in full fitness tearing a finals series apart someday...

September 2012. Pencil it in.

LostDoggy
27-08-2010, 05:52 PM
September 2012. Pencil it in.

I think it might be October by then...

chef
27-08-2010, 06:55 PM
I think it might be October by then...

It will only be October for 2011 as we have an odd number of teams, the following year it will be back to September.

LostDoggy
27-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Michael Angelo reported on SEN that Griff has told Adelaide he is staying in Melbourne.

The Pie Man
27-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Michael Angelo reported on SEN that Griff has told Adelaide he is staying in Melbourne.

WOOHOO - now he can also tell Essendon (interest mentioned by Damien Barrett on MMM earlier tonight) to *%$# off and we'll be sweet.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
27-08-2010, 09:25 PM
WOOHOO - now he can also tell Essendon (interest mentioned by Damien Barrett on MMM earlier tonight) to *%$# off and we'll be sweet.

Essendon will be throwing everything they have at Griffen, I really hope he is just holding off on re-signing to allow the club time to see how much money they can free up during the trade period.

LostDoggy
27-08-2010, 09:52 PM
Essendon will be throwing everything they have at Griffen, I really hope he is just holding off on re-signing to allow the club time to see how much money they can free up during the trade period.

Yep thats preety much what he said

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
27-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Yep thats preety much what he said

I wonder what Essendon would consider offering to us, if Griffen said he was seriously tempted and we couldn't come close to matching their offer. I would think that their 1st round pick would from our point of view would be just the appetiser. I'm really not sure who they would have that they would be willing to part with- and who would be acceptable to us.
Neither party would want to play hardball as if he went through to the draft, the only one's who would end up smiling would be Scott Clayton and the Gold Coast Suns.

LostDoggy
27-08-2010, 10:30 PM
I wonder what Essendon would consider offering to us, if Griffen said he was seriously tempted and we couldn't come close to matching their offer. I would think that their 1st round pick would from our point of view would be just the appetiser. I'm really not sure who they would have that they would be willing to part with- and who would be acceptable to us.
Neither party would want to play hardball as if he went through to the draft, the only one's who would end up smiling would be Scott Clayton and the Gold Coast Suns.

They couldnt take him coz they would already have Harbrow

ratsmac
27-08-2010, 10:32 PM

IF Griff went to Essendon I would seriously burn down windy hill (I hope someone don't burn it down and I get the blame, but if it burnt down....oh well). If it were to (God forbid) happen, it would be one of those confusing 4 way trades where we end up copping it up the A hole.

ReLoad
28-08-2010, 10:09 AM
IF Griff went to Essendon I would seriously burn down windy hill (I hope someone don't burn it down and I get the blame, but if it burnt down....oh well). If it were to (God forbid) happen, it would be one of those confusing 4 way trades where we end up copping it up the A hole.

Hey, I live a block from windy hill, please dont burn it down, there will be bulldog collateral damage!

In all honesty what do Essendon have that they:
A) want to part with to given them Griff.
B) Based on A, have what we want.
C) Think that they have a hope of getting an un-contracted player past the Suns?

No brainer thread as it isnt going to happen.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-08-2010, 11:44 AM

They couldnt take him coz they would already have Harbrow

I thought they were allowed 1 player from each club, out of contract - free of the draft protocols, but were also participating in the pre-season draft where they can select who they want.
Or are the rules that if they contract a player from a club at this season's end, then that precludes them from selecting any player from that same club who end up in the pre-season draft?

LostDoggy
28-08-2010, 04:48 PM
[QUOTE=rooner17;173530]

I thought they were allowed 1 player from each club, out of contract - free of the draft protocols, but were also participating in the pre-season draft where they can select who they want.
Or are the rules that if they contract a player from a club at this season's end, then that precludes them from selecting any player from that same club who end up in the pre-season draft?

As I understand it, (and that dont mean im right) the Gold Coast cant take two players under any circumstances from the one club.

chef
28-08-2010, 05:29 PM
As I understand it, (and that dont mean im right) the Gold Coast cant take two players under any circumstances from the one club.

Yep, that's my understanding too. They would have to trade with us to get him if Harbrow is signed already.

LostDoggy
28-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Yep, that's my understanding too. They would have to trade with us to get him if Harbrow is signed already.

Yep but I have been told all along that Griffen was their target so the next few weeks will tell all and Im seriously hoping ive heard wrong. 2 first rounds banked for 5 years for Harbrow I will take no probs. But if Griff wants out I will be shattered!

Mantis
30-08-2010, 04:08 PM
I would have thought a more apt title would be:

Memo to Gia, Gilbee, Boyd, Cross, Murphy, Eagleton & Hahn - Time to step up a level.

Griffen has played well against top 4 teams in finals. These guys haven't and need to.

bornadog
30-08-2010, 04:30 PM

Memo to Gia, Gilbee, Boyd, Cross, Murphy, Eagleton & Hahn - Time to step up a level.

Griffen has played well against top 4 teams in finals. These guys haven't and need to.

Yes all those guys need to step up.

With Cooney out we need Griffen's exceptional skills to come out (like in past finals), and really dominate and win the game for us. We don't have anyone else that can do that

A match winning performance. (hopefully he has recovered from his injury)

Mantis
30-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Yes all those guys need to step up.

With Cooney out we need Griffen's exceptional skills to come out (like in past finals), and really dominate and win the game for us. We don't have anyone else that can do that

A match winning performance. (hopefully he has recovered from his injury)

No one player, possibly bar Cooney is good enough to carry our team to victory.

We will need a solid effort across the board and will not be able to carry any passengers in terms of intensity and decision making/ skill execution.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-08-2010, 04:44 PM
We will need a solid effort across the board and will not be able to carry any passengers in terms of intensity and decision making/ skill execution.

In other words, we need a miracle? ;)

bornadog
30-08-2010, 04:46 PM
No one player, possibly bar Cooney is good enough to carry our team to victory.

I think Griffen is that man.

Sedat
30-08-2010, 04:56 PM

What I was thinking when I first saw this thread. Griff has been far and away our best finals performer since 2006 and frankly has the least to prove when it comes to finals performance. Callan Ward hasn't been too shabby either going on his only finals series to date. If the others as a collective group can go close to matching their premium output, we can manage a highly competitive September even without Cooney and without Griffen at full rat power.

It's all well and good for Eagle to kick them post high from 55 metres against Essendon but I'll give him props if he can do the same against Collingweood this week.

Nuggety Back Pocket
30-08-2010, 05:01 PM

Moving Harbrow into the midfield will help as will Callan Ward, whose game against Essendon hich was by far his best game for the season. The challenge will be for Boyd, Cross and Picken to play close down roles on Swan, Pendlebury and Didak because in the past they have been given too much space. In the words of former coach Alan Jeans the game today is won or lost in the midfield and this is where we need to improve dramatically. It can be done if their attitude and will to win at all costs is evident.

bornadog
30-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Moving Harbrow into the midfield will help as will Callan Ward, whose game against Essendon hich was by far his best game for the season. The challenge will be for Boyd, Cross and Picken to play close down roles on Swan, Pendlebury and Didak because in the past they have been given too much space. In the words of former coach Alan Jeans the game today is won or lost in the midfield and this is where we need to improve dramatically. It can be done if their attitude and will to win at all costs is evident.

Looking back at our finals in the past few years, Boyd has managed no less than 30 plus disposals in every match. If he can improve his disposal, we are a big chance to dominate the midfield. Cross also falls in this category ie 30 plus possessions, however, we know his kicking will not improve, but his handballs have to be spot on in the finals.

Twodogs
30-08-2010, 05:08 PM

I dont think we can win with three players playing negating midfield roles.

Mantis
30-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Looking back at our finals in the past few years, Boyd has managed no less than 30 plus disposals in every match. If he can improve his disposal, we are a big chance to dominate the midfield. Cross also falls in this category ie 30 plus possessions, however, we know his kicking will not improve, but his handballs have to be spot on in the finals.

Numbers mean jack-shit.

Boyd had 30+ against Geelong just 2 weeks ago (as did Cross) and our midfield got torched.

Cross had 39 against Hawthorn in the 08 QF and had no influence on the match, Hodge had 16 playing the same role and was close to BOG

bornadog
30-08-2010, 05:19 PM
Numbers mean jack-shit.

Boyd had 30+ against Geelong just 2 weeks ago (as did Cross) and our midfield got torched.

Cross had 39 against Hawthorn in the 08 QF and had no influence on the match, Hodge had 16 playing the same role and was close to BOG

Read my post.

Mantis
05-09-2010, 12:40 AM
Griffen stepped up....... as he always does.

How did the rest of them go? Just as we thought - shithouse!! (Murf is excused)

comrade
05-09-2010, 12:42 AM
It's all well and good for Eagle to kick them post high from 55 metres against Essendon but I'll give him props if he can do the same against Collingwood this week.

As expected, didn't get near it (or his opponent).

Enough is enough.

anfo27
05-09-2010, 12:48 AM
Silly thread really, Griff has probably been our best player in every final that he has played in.

Sedat
05-09-2010, 12:50 AM
One of the more predictable elements of tonight's performance was the collective lack of impact that the afore-mentioned senior core once again dished up against top quality opposition.

Griffen was magnificent once again in a final. That is 6 near enough to Bulldog BOG's in 9 finals he's played in - 6 out of 7 if you take out the Geelong finals. He is the last person in our team that needs to step up in September.

Rocco Jones
05-09-2010, 12:51 AM
We don't have any all rounder leaders so I will settle for a 'do as I do' leadership group and that would definitely involve Griff.

Absolute gun.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-09-2010, 01:12 AM
We don't have any all rounder leaders so I will settle for a 'do as I do' leadership group and that would definitely involve Griff.

Absolute gun.

Totally agree, considering the smashing we got, and not forgetting the injury cloud over him coming into this game, what a magnficient performance from Griff.
Forget this thread title, this guys is one of the few bonafide big game performers we have in the side. He is made for finals...pity alot of his mates don't seem to be.

chef
05-09-2010, 08:05 AM
Memo to Griffen - You NEED to be our next captain.

bornadog
05-09-2010, 02:41 PM
As expected, didn't get near it (or his opponent).

Enough is enough.

Eagleton, 3 disposals to half time, its a joke.

Go_Dogs
05-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Eagleton, 3 disposals to half time, its a joke.

Really, what did we expect from Eagleton?

The 5 from Gia was more disappointing IMO.

On Griff, amazing game. If we ever manage to have him and Cooney fit and firing in September ... I hope he's ready to go around again against Sydney, because we're going to need another huge effort from him.

bornadog
05-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Really, what did we expect from Eagleton?

The 5 from Gia was more disappointing IMO.

On Griff, amazing game. If we ever manage to have him and Cooney fit and firing in September ... I hope he's ready to go around again against Sydney, because we're going to need another huge effort from him.

and 4 from Higgins, 2 from Grant, 2 from Minson. You can't play finals footy like that.

ratsmac
06-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Thank you Griffo for getting the memo.

choconmientay
07-09-2010, 10:49 AM
The memo to Griffen clearly worked like magic. Would some one please write the memos to the rest of the team for this coming weekend! ... please ....