PDA

View Full Version : Finals - Will you still go and Watch

bornadog
24-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Reading the forum this week there seems to be a lot of negative threads due to our injuries and form over the past two weeks. To top it off one of mates refuses to go to the first final as he thinks we will be thrashed and he can't stand Collingwood supporters.

So will you be still going to the finals

LostDoggy
24-08-2010, 06:48 PM
Without a doubt, need to show support through thick and thin, it would be ridiculous not to go based on form and how we've played in our past two games. Yes we may not get far into the finals, but we're still in the top 4 with a double chance to turn things around, need to remain optimistic over negative. Thats how I see it anyway.

chef
24-08-2010, 06:54 PM
I had to choose the bottom option as won't be able to make it, but I'll still be sitting on the couch yelling at the TV(no different to any week). I maybe be struggling for faith ATM but as soon as the first siren goes i will be willing on our boys and victory won't be out of the question. Our season isn't over yet.

G-Mo77
24-08-2010, 07:09 PM
I'll support the club through thick and thin but I'm begging them to get a week off in week 2. Finals are expensive!

The Coon Dog
24-08-2010, 07:21 PM
As long as the first final isn't on a Friday night I'll be there. My son captained his junior football team this season & the idiots on the committee made the presentation night on 3 September! Numpties!!

DOG GOD
24-08-2010, 07:21 PM
If i was in Melb i would go :)

Bulldog4life
24-08-2010, 07:38 PM
I love watching upsets especially when the loser is Collingwood. :D I'll be there.

mighty_west
24-08-2010, 07:49 PM
I was there in '82, i was there in '96, i was there in '03, will i be there in September? Hell yeah!

ratsmac
24-08-2010, 08:00 PM
I hate going to us v collingwood anytime, but I've been looking forward to the finals all year and I'm not going to let a hamstring, achilles, shoulder and 2 lousy loses in a row stop me. Somebody stop me (in a Jim Carrey voice) I dare ya!

Scraggers
24-08-2010, 08:08 PM
If i was in Melb i would go :)

Same here ... Wouldn't miss it ... Through thick and thin ... Through and through ... When the chips are down ...

You get the point !!!

AndrewP6
24-08-2010, 08:10 PM
I voted Yes (because there's no "probably" option!:) ) I think we're in for a hell of a night...but what can you do? Can't jump off now...

cnmin2
24-08-2010, 08:11 PM
I will be there,you never know what will happen.I live in hope.

LostDoggy
24-08-2010, 08:13 PM
I am in Adelaide, if we make the prelim I will make the trek I reckon.

BulldogBelle
24-08-2010, 08:21 PM
There is no way I would miss any finals game we are involved in - will definitely be there! :)

LostDoggy
24-08-2010, 08:32 PM
I voted yes. Will of course be crap being there if we get smashed, but it couldn't feel much worse than it does this week i guess.

And imagine the feeling if we get up!

FrediKanoute
24-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Seriously this is a dumb poll.....are we that successful a club that we can pick and choose which finals we would go to see because we just a ssume that it will all happen again next year......sure its disappointing and also highly probably that this year will end in disappointment, but until we are eliminated I will still have hope. Blind hope, but hope none the less.

The Pie Man
24-08-2010, 09:19 PM
I usually go with my brother though he just had his first kid, and he told me he's an unlikely starter given the combo of family and our form.

I get that, I just said 'yeah cool, understood'

If we were riding high, he probably would've made more of an effort.

I'll be going - it'll be next Sunday I believe. September is a cultural thing for Melburnians, I look forward to it every year despite it never ever pleasing any of us

Twodogs
24-08-2010, 09:23 PM
Seriously this is a dumb poll.....are we that successful a club that we can pick and choose which finals we would go to see because we just a ssume that it will all happen again next year

Completely agree Fredi. I must have missed those all those decades and decades of boundless success that inured us to having to turn up for finals because we can always go to next year when we automatically qualify top four again. FFS!!!!!

I am seriously considering adding a few options of my own to this poll. Bugger it I will!

angelopetraglia
24-08-2010, 09:24 PM
Have not missed a Melbourne final since the Qualifying final V Hawthorn in 1985. Don't intend on ever missing one either.

Death. Taxes. I will attend Bulldog finals.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Absolutely.

The atmosphere of a QF is always great. Against Collingwood, it'll be even better.

Should be very interesting to see how we approach the game physically and mentally for the 120 minutes.

The Pie Man
24-08-2010, 09:46 PM
I am seriously considering adding a few options of my own to this poll. Bugger it I will!

Foetal position huh? :D

mighty_west
24-08-2010, 09:59 PM
OK, who voted "No they are gone for the year ", there are 2 of you out there.................go on, fess up...;)

Twodogs
24-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Foetal position huh? :D

Is that how you spell it?

I googled it but I seriously couldnt be arsed looking it up in the dictionary.

The Pie Man
24-08-2010, 10:19 PM
Is that how you spell it?

I googled it but I seriously couldnt be arsed looking it up in the dictionary.

Yep all correct*, twas just admiring the quality work on the option.

*I'll admit, I just checked :o

Twodogs
24-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Absolutely.

The atmosphere of a QF is always great. Against Collingwood, it'll be even better.

Should be very interesting to see how we approach the game physically and mentally for the 120 minutes.

It'll be the first 20 minutes that I'll be particulalry interested in. That's where finals are lost and the last couple of years we've been smashed in the first quarter of the QF.

I am curious to see whether the players have learned the lesson that finals are that much more intense than H&A games. That's what really dissapointed me about the QF last year-the fact we got smashed by Geelong in the first half of the first quarter just proved that we'd learned nothing from exactly the same thing happening to us against Hawthorn the year before.

AndrewP6
24-08-2010, 10:25 PM
OK, who voted "No they are gone for the year ", there are 2 of you out there.................go on, fess up...;)

Click on the number next to each poll result - all is revealed. Clearly this poll is not set up by the AEC! ;)

Twodogs
24-08-2010, 10:28 PM
Yep all correct*, twas just admiring the quality work on the option.

*I'll admit, I just checked :o

Fairy 'nuff.

I will probably spend the afternoon before the first final in said position thoiugh!

LostDoggy
24-08-2010, 10:34 PM
I usually go with my brother though he just had his first kid, and he told me he's an unlikely starter given the combo of family and our form.

I get that, I just said 'yeah cool, understood'

If we were riding high, he probably would've made more of an effort.

I'll be going - it'll be next Sunday I believe. September is a cultural thing for Melburnians, I look forward to it every year despite it never ever pleasing any of us

It's Friday night I thought

The Pie Man
24-08-2010, 10:43 PM
It's Friday night I thought

Mark Stevens twitted it was likely on Sunday a few days ago, though that could have either changed or have been off the mark.

I reckon Collingwood, as top team, will want more than 6 1/2 days break.

choconmientay
24-08-2010, 10:51 PM
Voted Yes. You have to be in it to win it :) I have won poker matches with cards next to nothing ... so nothing to say why can't we win the cup from here ...

LostDoggy
24-08-2010, 10:55 PM
Level 1 row A yelling at Swan and co to choke

LostDoggy
24-08-2010, 10:56 PM
I'm scheduled to work most weekends for September :( might have to fake one long sickie!

Go_Dogs
24-08-2010, 11:42 PM
I'm hoping to head over for one of the finals...I was hoping prelim, but it's looking like it might be the qualifying final just to be safe. Should be a ripper against Collingwood anyway!

BulldogBelle
24-08-2010, 11:46 PM
Would never want to miss a final - have been to every one since I think 1972? I don't think we were in any after 61 till then, were we?

LostDoggy
25-08-2010, 12:49 AM
I'll support the club through thick and thin but I'm begging them to get a week off in week 2. Finals are expensive!

For me you could say it is a Big Issue! :eek:

Chicago1
25-08-2010, 04:06 AM
I still haven't canceled/postponed my reservation to Melbourne for the PFs and GF. However, how we do this weekend and in Week 1 of the Finals will help me make up my mind. My final chance to cancel/postpone will be the morning I'm due to fly out, Saturday Sept. 11.

I would never think of not going to a Final we are in in Melbourne. The only Final I missed in 23 years as a member in Australia was when we played Brisbane at the GABBA in 1999. I ended up 4-10 in that time. I had been hoping to make it 6-10 this year, but... :confused:

LostDoggy
25-08-2010, 07:11 AM
I have been following this cursed team for 50 years and even when living in Qld I would fly down for the finals (I didn't spend much on air fares in the past:), and even though we are struggling I would not miss an appearance in the finals, you just never know what could happen on the day, why even the maggots could be on our side for just once?:rolleyes:

aker39
25-08-2010, 07:17 AM

I don't think the days break will be a major factor because they will be playing a team who is playing on the same day in round 22

Flamethrower
25-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Absolutely. It is hard to wave to the Collingwood ferals leaving half way through the last quarter from the living room.

Greystache
25-08-2010, 10:04 AM
I'll be there with my usual group of mates. I expect us to lose but that won't stop me going, and imagine how sweet it would be to see 70,000 Collingwood supporters leaving at 3/4 time when we're up by 60 points!

LostDoggy
25-08-2010, 10:19 AM
I will make sure I watch it at home. I just want to see everyone give 100% and have a real go at it. If we still get beat, we can still hold our heads high.

bornadog
25-08-2010, 10:20 AM
I was there in '82, i was there in '96, i was there in '03, will i be there in September? Hell yeah!

:eek:I was there is 82 as well watching us at then bottom of the ladder but still didn't mis a game that year.:)

Cyberdoggie
25-08-2010, 10:26 AM
I'm sure i will still go, but with financial issues being a concern for me this year, the cost of attending is really starting to weigh on me.

LostDoggy
25-08-2010, 10:45 AM
I thought at first, maybe I won't but I just haven't the heart to do that! My other half is Collingwood, so it should make for an interesting match! I've got to keep supporting the boys, win or lose, through thick or thin (kind of like being married, eh?);)

Murphy'sLore
25-08-2010, 10:49 AM
I'm expecting a world of pain but hey, that's what we signed up for isn't it?? If we don't put ourselves through the agony, we won't appreciate the true sweetness of the reward when it finally arrives. Which it will!

Go Doggies!

LostDoggy
25-08-2010, 11:03 AM
It depends on when they schedule the game for. Storms last game for the year is on the Sunday arvo. If the Dogs are playing then I'll be choosing the Storm game. So many players are playing their last game for Storm, I couldn't miss it. :(

LostDoggy
25-08-2010, 11:20 AM
As our team song says we are Bulldogs through and through. The WB need us more than ever right now. Never give up.
________
Bondage video (http://www.****tube.com/categories/14/bondage/videos/1)

Desipura
25-08-2010, 01:14 PM
:eek:I was there is 82 as well watching us at then bottom of the ladder but still didn't mis a game that year.:)
Thats dedication, when we do finally win one, we can truly say we earnt it, even us supporters.
Like you, I have not missed many games in Melbourne over the last 27 years, probably somewhere between 6-10 games due to weddings, sickness etc etc

comrade
25-08-2010, 01:16 PM
Never give up.

As true supporters, we never will.

What hurts is the fact that in the last 2 weeks, a number of our players have.

Ozza
Only reason I'll miss is if it is on a Saturday afternoon and my team is in the Prelim....hopefully we win the 2nd Semi this weekend and its a non-issue!

But you don't jump off your team...no matter what...and at least we do play finals...some supporters rarely see their team play finals (see Richmond).

bornadog
Thats dedication, when we do finally win one, we can truly say we earnt it, even us supporters.
Like you, I have not missed many games in Melbourne over the last 27 years, probably somewhere between 6-10 games due to weddings, sickness etc etc

Me too, and when I hear doggies supporters giving up and saying they won't go to watch them in the finals, I just don't get it.

Axe Man
25-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Remember this?

Collingwood vs Western Bulldogs
10 September 2006

Collingwood 5.6 (36) 6.9 (45) 6.13 (49) 11.14 (80)
Western Bulldogs 4.2 (26) 8.7 (55) 14.10 (94) 18.13 (121)

TAB SPORTSBET: Collingwood $1.42, Western Bulldogs $2.75

This was probably the most enjoyable final I have ever attended. If I had decided not to go because I didn't think we would win then I would have been absolutely kicking myself.

Do I think we will beat the pies next weekend? Probably not. But we COULD

Desipura
25-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Me too, and when I hear doggies supporters giving up and saying they won't go to watch them in the finals, I just don't get it.
I know what you mean, Im just going in with very little expectations. You need everyone fit and firing, unfortunately the latter has not eventuated all year.
And now we are losing players left, right and centre.

LongWait
25-08-2010, 02:03 PM
I'll be there with my parents and my kids. 3 generations screaming their lungs out for the red, white and blue.

aker39
25-08-2010, 02:07 PM
For those thinking of not going, close your eyes for a minute and visualise the dogs winning.

Yes, it is getting harder by the day, but while we are there, we are a chance, and I for one would never forgive myself if I missed a Western Bulldog victory over Collingwood in a final.

The last time we bet them in the finals was one of the best experiences I've had at the footy.

Greystache
25-08-2010, 02:09 PM
At the rate players are going down I might need to buy a record so I don't sound like a Melbourne supporter shouting GO 67!! :D

The Pie Man
25-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Remember this?

10 September 2006

This was probably the most enjoyable final I have ever attended. If I had decided not to go because I didn't think we would win then I would have been absolutely kicking myself.

Good times

I reckon the odds will be way higher for us next week - I'm thinking $4 +

We looked pretty ordinary the first 20 minutes of that game too (a warning of 1st quarter finals fades to come?) but kicked the last few goals of the 1st quarter to get back into it. Pretty much from that point on it was all us. Great day

LostDoggy
25-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Remember this?

10 September 2006

Not that I have ever had any thought of not going, thanks for reminding me about that game. I agree it was one of the best feelings at the footy. I'm not going to miss a game in melboiurne when I have not missed a game this season, including all interstate games. Same as I have never and wiull never leave a game early, even we we are gettging thumped, I might miss us doing something good !

mighty_west
25-08-2010, 04:56 PM

Yeah that was the point i was getting at, each of those years we finished last, well, except maybe '96, but Fitzroy don't really count, they were just a complete train wreck that year and fell off the face of the planet.

mighty_west
25-08-2010, 04:57 PM
I know what you mean, Im just going in with very little expectations. You need everyone fit and firing, unfortunately the latter has not eventuated all year.
And now we are losing players left, right and centre.

Yep, thats all we can do, we either support our team & club, or we don't.

LostDoggy
25-08-2010, 05:15 PM
The worst part about finals is hope. Like when we played Hawthorn a couple of years ago and got thrashed.

If you go with no real expectation (like against Collingwood in '06), then whatever happens happens. We lose, fine, expected. We win? WHAT THE F***! YIPPEE KAIYAY and all that.

It would be much worse if we lost in the second week of finals, of course.. despite everything, straight sets would be bloody disappointing.

Then again, losing in Prelims...

Sockeye Salmon
25-08-2010, 05:59 PM
I remember the prelim in '98. I went knowing we were going to get smashed.

The Pie Man
25-08-2010, 06:15 PM

I totally didn't see it coming - I read that morning in the Age the tipster picked Adelaide and I thought 'huh?'

Even at half time I thought we were some chance....boy oh boy

LostDoggy
25-08-2010, 07:45 PM

I wish you couldve told me! I dropped 400 on that game, I bet an Adelaide tool in the Pub the night before on the proviso that he shut the hell up. I was to young sounds even stupider now than it did then. :D

BulldogBelle
25-08-2010, 08:30 PM
I feel sorry for Daniel Cross's body and what it is going to endure throughout this finals series. He'll go so hard for us and, most likely, will probably even know are chances are AGAIN minimal this year.

But that won't stop him, or absolutely any of the doggies players who represent our jumper throughout September. That level of desperation by 22 players for all of our goal makes deliberately avoiding any finals we play in unforgivable. Fair enough if your booked out and can't make it.

Just rewatched the Collingwood final 06 after a couple of beers so I am on a rather massive high atm. Seems like I had better tune into this Ben Cousins documentary!

EasternWest
26-08-2010, 01:18 AM
I'm in Vietnam for week 1, but I will be there after that.

For they are my team, and I will support them. Dammit.

bornadog
26-08-2010, 11:56 PM
Looks like we will play Collingwood on the Saturday night.

westdog54
27-08-2010, 12:10 AM
I've only just said, and I'm relieved that the results are going the way they are in this poll.

Part of me doesn't blame those that has written the team off, because lets face it, it looks bad on paper.

But games of football, even finals, aren't won on paper.

Both teams start on 0.0.0 at the start of the game.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-08-2010, 10:28 AM
I've only just said, and I'm relieved that the results are going the way they are in this poll.

Part of me doesn't blame those that has written the team off, because lets face it, it looks bad on paper.

But games of football, even finals, aren't won on paper.

Both teams start on 0.0.0 at the start of the game.

If Presti/Didak are out - I expect the game to be relatively close.

It'll be an interesting game nevertheless. We'll find ourselves under extreme pressure at some stage - how we cope with it will decide our fate.

The Underdog
27-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Of course I'll go (as long as the first final isn't on sunday, when I have an inappropriately scheduled other duty).
I had a nightmare that we went out in straight sets to Collingwood and Carlton though. I'm not sure I'd recover from that for a while.

Bulldog4life
27-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Of course I'll go (as long as the first final isn't on sunday, when I have an inappropriately scheduled other duty).
I had a nightmare that we went out in straight sets to Collingwood and Carlton though. I'm not sure I'd recover from that for a while.

You must have woke up screaming in a cold sweat.:D

The Pie Man
27-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Mark Stevens twitted it was likely on Sunday a few days ago, though that could have either changed or have been off the mark.

OK it looks like I (well Mark Stevens, but I was happy to run with it) I was wrong on this one.

On the AFL website it says it says if Freo finish 5th (not likely) then we're Friday, otherwise we'll be on Saturday night.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/101286/default.aspx

AD will announce everything Saturday night on the Fifth Quarter (earliest in the rd 22 weekend I can remember having the first round of finals scheduled...)

aker39
27-08-2010, 03:52 PM
(earliest in the rd 22 weekend I can remember having the first round of finals scheduled...)

Yep, becuase the Sunday round 22 games have no effect on the finals.

LostDoggy
27-08-2010, 05:05 PM
OK it looks like I (well Mark Stevens, but I was happy to run with it) I was wrong on this one.

On the AFL website it says it says if Freo finish 5th (not likely) then we're Friday, otherwise we'll be on Saturday night.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/101286/default.aspx

AD will announce everything Saturday night on the Fifth Quarter (earliest in the rd 22 weekend I can remember having the first round of finals scheduled...)

Why would they only give us & Collingwood a 6 day break? Especially Collingwood who finished 1st. I think there'll be bit of complaining over that one if it happens.

And there's this going around too: Link:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1225910643747 saying we'll probably be the Saturday night. Oh well, all will be revealed tomorrow night.

FlightoftheCallanWards
29-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Remember this?

10 September 2006

No way would I ever consider not going to a Dogs game in Melbourne, let alone a final. This day makes the idea of next week just a tad sweeter. Sitting right near the Collingwood cheersquad in '06 and enjoyed every bloody minute. Hard to think of a better game of footy I've been to. Now just imagine it this week ;)