PDA

View Full Version : No farewell game for Jordan McMahon

Picken Knows
25-08-2010, 09:50 AM
What a way to go out. The only player on the entire Richmond list not to play a game this year.

JORDAN McMahon will bow out of football with the dubious honour of being Richmond's only senior listed player overlooked for selection by first-year coach Damien Hardwick.

The Tigers confirmed youngster Dylan Grimes would be picked to play in Sunday's match against Port Adelaide at Etihad Stadium.

Grimes, brother of Melbourne rising star Jack, will become the 42nd Richmond player to run out for an AFL game this year - the most players used by a club since the Sydney Swans used 43 in 1993.

It leaves the injured McMahon as the last of 38 senior listed players at Punt Rd to miss out on a game.

Another five elevated rookies have been used by the Tigers under Hardwick.

McMahon, 27, is in the final season of an estimated $1 million three-year deal and had been out of favour before suffering a leg injury for Coburg in the VFL about five weeks ago, cruelling any chance of a farewell game.

"He's probably been a little bit unlucky," Tigers general manager of football Craig Cameron said.

"He was every chance to get a game with our numbers getting low, but he's carried himself really well."

Up to eight Richmond players will be delisted by the club as early as next week, adding to the 13 who departed last year.

Grimes, 19, has made rapid progress in the VFL in recent weeks with a best-on-ground performance for Coburg on Saturday.

He will replace first-year player David Astbury, who has had hip surgery.

"He (Grimes) is a key back.

"He's quick and happy to defend, but also keen to create some rebound with his leg speed," Cameron said.

The teenager received a rude introduction to league football when he was allegedly bitten on the back by a Collingwood opponent in a practice match at Visy Park in March.

The Tigers chose not to lodge a complaint.

McMahon was recruited from the Western Bulldogs by former Richmond coach Terry Wallace in exchange for pick 19 in the 2007 national draft, used by the Dogs on midfielder Callan Ward.

He played 12 games last season, highlighted by a post-siren 50m goal against Melbourne in Round 18.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/no-farewell-game-for-jordan-mcmahon/story-e6frf9jf-1225909627449

soupman
25-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Shame. As much as his departure was dissapointing in the way he went about it, to not be given one single game for the entire year is poor. At least that may have put him more in the frame to get a go elsewhere.

Murphy'sLore
25-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Poor old Jordy.

The Curse of Stupid Facial Hair strikes again.

LostDoggy
25-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Poor old Jordy.

The Curse of Stupid Facial Hair strikes again.

More like the curse of leaving the Dogs to go to Richmond on a bad note. Wallet, Brown, now Jordy.

There's a lesson in there somewhere, but I'm too busy chuckling quietly to myself to care.

LostDoggy
25-08-2010, 11:20 AM
.. which actually allows me space to pontificate on a theory I've been thinking about.

Extreme pace is only useful in this day and age in a DEFENSIVE capacity. Of course you can't have slow as treacle players running around at AFL level generally speaking, but where clubs go wrong is picking pacy ATTACKING players -- with the premium on space in the league, a higher priority than sheer pace in an attacking sense would be disposal skills on both sides of your body, vision, speed of thought, and an ability to win your own ball. Just pace for the sake of it will look flashy, but more likely than not just mean that you run yourself into trouble in a zone. The ball travels faster than any player anyway.

Defensively, however, pace is crucial -- players fast enough to get to contest after contest, or pressure their opponents into mistakes, is gold. So, from a recruiting perspective, there really is no point getting a lightly framed, pacy player who only runs one way. You want a fast player with a penchant for tackling, especially up forward.

So, all these guys are fast, but Cyril/Harbrow/Leon Davis/Dale Morris > Ray/McMahon/Xavier Clarke/Fiora.

soupman
25-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Yes but pace going forward is invaluable when it is used to break the lines. Think of Harbrow's runs where he weaves around opponents, or Wood when he accelerates. These change the tempo of the game and break up zones more than a quick kick does.

Extreme pace is what you need to be an awesome attacking side. Interestingly though it's more useful in congestion than space. A very quick player who can weave their way through congestion is better than a quicker player who takes up the space on the wing.

LostDoggy
25-08-2010, 12:52 PM
Yes but pace going forward is invaluable when it is used to break the lines. Think of Harbrow's runs where he weaves around opponents, or Wood when he accelerates.

And then kicks to the opposition? You'd rather have a guy kick accurately than run the length of his kick. Besides, clean hands and accurate disposal is faster than a fumbly quick guy or a guy who turns it over quickly.

Extreme pace is what you need to be an awesome attacking side.

Like Essendon? Would you rather be them or St.Kilda/Geelong/Collingwood (neither being the fastest sides in the comp going forward, but very quick on defense.)

LostDoggy
26-08-2010, 09:17 AM
Sent this email to a fellow co-worker today, thought id share my thoughts on here too.

Dear Richmond,

Thank you for taking Jordy off us, in return we have recieved a (also injured) inside hardnut midfielder in Callan Ward. Just like Terry Wallet and Nathan 'Judas' Brown, you have chased the money and look where its gotten you..Richmond? More like Coburg...no. more like Coburg Reserves. Callan Ward is 20 years of age, with another 10 years of football in front of him. But give credit where credit is due, Jordan - you will be may just be a great player in the twilight of your career.....in the Diamond Valley League.

comrade
26-08-2010, 09:34 AM
Sent this email to a fellow co-worker today, thought id share my thoughts on here too.

Dear Richmond,

Thank you for taking Jordy off us, in return we have recieved a (also injured) inside hardnut midfielder in Callan Ward. Just like Terry Wallet and Nathan 'Judas' Brown, you have chased the money and look where its gotten you..Richmond? More like Coburg...no. more like Coburg Reserves. Callan Ward is 20 years of age, with another 10 years of football in front of him. But give credit where credit is due, Jordan - you will be may just be a great player in the twilight of your career.....in the Diamond Valley League.

Expect the usual BigFooty-style retort:

Dear Footscray,

You have only won 1 flag and that was before the advent of colour television. Your football opinion and by extension your life is therefore worthless.

Regards,
Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond, Essendon supporters

LostDoggy
26-08-2010, 09:57 AM

Dear Footscray,

You have only won 1 flag and that was before the advent of colour television. Your football opinion and by extension your life is therefore worthless.

Regards,

And after we win this year's premiership and in response to the Collingwood supporter you should reply, "Mate, since 1953, we have won the same number of Premierships as you."

Scorlibo
26-08-2010, 02:11 PM
.. which actually allows me space to pontificate on a theory I've been thinking about.

Extreme pace is only useful in this day and age in a DEFENSIVE capacity. Of course you can't have slow as treacle players running around at AFL level generally speaking, but where clubs go wrong is picking pacy ATTACKING players -- with the premium on space in the league, a higher priority than sheer pace in an attacking sense would be disposal skills on both sides of your body, vision, speed of thought, and an ability to win your own ball. Just pace for the sake of it will look flashy, but more likely than not just mean that you run yourself into trouble in a zone. The ball travels faster than any player anyway.

Defensively, however, pace is crucial -- players fast enough to get to contest after contest, or pressure their opponents into mistakes, is gold. So, from a recruiting perspective, there really is no point getting a lightly framed, pacy player who only runs one way. You want a fast player with a penchant for tackling, especially up forward.

So, all these guys are fast, but Cyril/Harbrow/Leon Davis/Dale Morris > Ray/McMahon/Xavier Clarke/Fiora.

I agree with you, but if the player is seriously quick - like Lewis Jetta - then they are a massive offensive weapon. Also if they have excellent acceleration - Cooney, Judd, Ablett etc. they can become very good offensive burst midfielders.

Scorlibo
26-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Will Jordy be picked up in the PSD? To the Gold Coast? He is a much better player than all this hoo-ha at Richmond suggests.

LostDoggy
26-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Will Jordy be picked up in the PSD? To the Gold Coast? He is a much better player than all this hoo-ha at Richmond suggests.

He is more likely to join his old mate of similar standing Patrick Bowden at Balwyn where he (Jordy) will play on the wing before being shunted to the twos where he will finish 6th in their B&F.

Remi Moses
26-08-2010, 04:47 PM

Dear Footscray,

Regards,

About right to. Funny thing is it would be from a pathetic little 15 y/o who has seen one finals series in his existence

Sedat
26-08-2010, 04:53 PM
There was a thread earlier this year where some of us kicked around the rather silly notion of McMahon being considered to return to the club (strict provisos on his desire to play at the highest level and his head space/personal issues being under control notwithstanding). He was one of our most talented young players in our push up the ladder in 2005-2006 and then completely fell off the perch in 2007 before being traded off. At his best he was a very quick and talented defensive rebounder who possessed a beautiful long kick - unfortunately his best was inconsistently seen, and it has been virtually non-existent since 2008 (he was half-decent that season for the Tigers). My question is, with Harbrow extremely likely to leave, who on our current list will be filling his notable absence down back (likely to be Wood and nobody else)? If we are a little skinny in this area, would be be the dumbest suggestion in the world to consider McMahon (afore-mentioned provisos still in place of course)? St Kilda had a long hard look at him last trade week. We are very light on for genuine pace in our current squad, and our first 2 selections in the 2010 ND are not going to address this area. I'm happy to be placed in the stocks and have rotten tomatoes thrown at me for even making the suggestion :D

comrade
26-08-2010, 04:54 PM
If we are a little skinny in this area, would be be the dumbest suggestion in the world to consider McMahon (afore-mentioned provisos still in place of course)?

Pun intended?

:D

Sedat
26-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Pun intended?

:D
Well and truly :D

Like most of us on woof, I'm worried about our lack of pace moving forward. We are highly likely to be losing a jet and aren't exactly replacing him with speed at the draft table. We have hard nuts a-plenty - as I said, probably a fanciful suggestion but one worth thinking about. Would get him onto Rocco's 'Ekers' list at the very least.

comrade
26-08-2010, 05:03 PM
Well and truly :D

Like most of us on woof, I'm worried about our lack of pace moving forward. We are highly likely to be losing a jet and aren't exactly replacing him with speed at the draft table. We have hard nuts a-plenty - as I said, probably a fanciful suggestion but one worth thinking about. Would get him onto Rocco's 'Ekers' list at the very least.

If I thought the culture of our leadership group was ruthless enough to force him to work hard, I wouldn't be against looking at him.

So, no we shouldn't look at him.

azabob
26-08-2010, 05:59 PM
If I thought the culture of our leadership group was ruthless enough to force him to work hard, I wouldn't be against looking at him.

So, no we shouldn't look at him.

Once the crop of 1999 draft players leave do you think the leadership will improve or will just continue along as it is now?

EasternWest
03-09-2010, 03:03 PM
What a way to go out. The only player on the entire Richmond list not to play a game this year.

McMahon was recruited from the Western Bulldogs by former Richmond coach Terry Wallace in exchange for pick 19 in the 2007 national draft, used by the Dogs on midfielder Callan Ward.

I'll never tire of reading this.

Dear Richmond,

He would likely be killed in the DVFL.

Possible, but I think not. He's proven to be mentally fragile IMO.

on our current list will be filling his notable absence down back (likely to be Wood and nobody else)?

I'll stick with Wood.

It's a shame for Jordy, but I think his emotional fragility and mental immaturity has really hurt him. I wish him luck for the future.

Remi Moses
03-09-2010, 09:42 PM
I'd look at Davey of Essendon if possible . Definetely an issue which needs to be addressed
Wouldn't look at McMahon,have a hunch the Saints might take an interest.

The Coon Dog
14-10-2010, 05:59 PM
Tigers chop Dean Polo, Jordan McMahon

BRETT Deledio is the sole survivor of Richmond's "fab five" draft picks from 2004 after the Tigers today delisted Dean Polo.

Polo was cut along with Tom Hislop, Jordan McMahon, Adam Thomson, Relton Roberts and rookie Alroy Gilligan.

Blah Blah Blah...
(http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/tigers-chop-dean-polo-jordan-mcmahon/story-e6frf9jf-1225938821868)

bulldogsman
14-10-2010, 06:07 PM
"fab five" what a disaster, I almost feel sorry for them.

Doggy
14-10-2010, 06:23 PM
Great carreer move Jordy.
Great for us that is!
Callan Ward - a future Bulldogs premiership captain????
:p

Doc26
14-10-2010, 06:58 PM
More like the curse of leaving the Dogs to go to Richmond on a bad note. Wallet, Brown, now Jordy.

There's a lesson in there somewhere, but I'm too busy chuckling quietly to myself to care.

Add Michael McKenna and Chris Burton although not so much on a bad note. Sure there's more out there.

Throughandthrough
14-10-2010, 07:11 PM
and I hope that whichever team Jordan goes to next year, in whatever competition it is, wins the flag.

;)

Throughandthrough
14-10-2010, 07:59 PM
and in related news

Tigers chase McMahon

Matt Turner From: The Messenger October 14, 2010 5:15PM

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2010/08/24/1225909/625666-jordan-mcmahon.jpg

ON THE RADAR: Delisted Richmond player Jordan McMahon (left) could again be suiting up in yellow and black next season at the Bays. Source: Herald Sun

GLENELG is in talks with Richmond defender Jordan McMahon in the hope of luring him back to the Bay.

McMahon, 27, played junior football for Glenelg before the Bulldogs selected him at pick 10 of the 2000 AFL National Draft

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/tigers-chase-mcmahon/story-fn525un5-1225938829256

The Underdog
15-10-2010, 09:25 AM
and in related news

Tigers chase McMahon

Matt Turner From: The Messenger October 14, 2010 5:15PM

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2010/08/24/1225909/625666-jordan-mcmahon.jpg

ON THE RADAR: Delisted Richmond player Jordan McMahon (left) could again be suiting up in yellow and black next season at the Bays. Source: Herald Sun

GLENELG is in talks with Richmond defender Jordan McMahon in the hope of luring him back to the Bay.

McMahon, 27, played junior football for Glenelg before the Bulldogs selected him at pick 10 of the 2000 AFL National Draft

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/tigers-chase-mcmahon/story-fn525un5-1225938829256

Any chance the Crows allocate Tambling to Glenelg? They could recreate that shot on the field in the SANFL next year :)

Sedat
15-10-2010, 09:46 AM
Add Michael McKenna and Chris Burton although not so much on a bad note. Sure there's more out there.
Lest we forget the original Tinman himself, Patrick Bowden

Pedro Sanchez
15-10-2010, 11:56 AM
Have we filled Cameron's vacant position yet... Reckon Rocket and Jordi could form a great relationship in the coaches box!

comrade
15-10-2010, 11:57 AM
Have we filled Cameron's vacant position yet... Reckon Rocket and Jordi could form a great relationship in the coaches box!

We went for a slightly tougher hombre than Jordy.

Greystache
15-10-2010, 11:58 AM

Yes, Brett Montgomery has returned... Again. He's coaching the forwards and Paul Williams is looking after the midfield.

I doubt Montgomery would be able to control himself if Jordy was in the same coaches box as him! :D

Throughandthrough
15-10-2010, 01:09 PM
Any chance the Crows allocate Tambling to Glenelg? They could recreate that shot on the field in the SANFL next year :)

About a one in 9 chance i say :)

Will be my years ambition if, if and if!

EasternWest
15-10-2010, 04:00 PM

I've accidentally stumbled across pictures on questionable adult male sites that look less suspicious than that picture does. NTTAWWT.

Accidentally.

LostDoggy
15-10-2010, 05:58 PM
Oh well poor Jordy.

Silly of us to let him go and end up with Callan Ward.:rolleyes:

LostDoggy
15-10-2010, 07:11 PM

Pictured Above: Sensational "Tackle" Jordan, says Richard Tambling.

Bulldog Revolution
20-10-2010, 03:35 PM
I wonder if McMahon will even play in 2011 - seems like he lost interest at us, and then Tigers

GVGjr
20-10-2010, 03:53 PM
I wonder if McMahon will even play in 2011 - seems like he lost interest at us, and then Tigers

Off to Glenelg I believe.

LostDoggy
20-10-2010, 04:47 PM
Anyone surprised that the Saints aren't taking a punt through the mature-age rookie route? They seemed pretty keen a couple of years ago, and they could do with a line-breaking type. Or is Jordy just completely not Jordy anymore?

Greystache
20-10-2010, 05:02 PM
Anyone surprised that the Saints aren't taking a punt through the mature-age rookie route? They seemed pretty keen a couple of years ago, and they could do with a line-breaking type. Or is Jordy just completely not Jordy anymore?

His currency a couple of years ago was still pretty high, it seemed he'd stalled at the Bulldogs but just needed a new environment to be refreshed. He has fallen right off the map at Richmond to the point he wasn't wanted even in a bottom team. I don't think he'd have any currency at all anymore.

Throughandthrough
16-12-2010, 09:46 PM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5161/5265993682_4f93645fe8_b.jpg

And Tambling was mini-drafted by Sturt, which is good, as I think he's Rubbish.

(Glemelg mini=drafted some kid named Jarryd Lyons from Sandringham, now with teh Crows. He looks good on paper....

LostDoggy
17-12-2010, 10:52 AM
"Kicking the ball effectively long and short"

?

Was one one my pet peves that he could regulary hit an opposition player five metres behind a teamate on the run when he was with us. His glaring skills must not have been needed at Richmond either.