PDA

View Full Version : Jared Brennan, anyone?

LostDoggy
25-08-2010, 11:32 AM
The guy is asking for a move...

... only 26, coming into his prime in the next 3 years. He is like a much more accomplished version of Andrejs Everitt, essentially, but no need to develop anymore, so will slot in nicely into our premiership window team.

Would also solve some of the issues with 2nd ruck, as he is a brilliant running player with enough height and nous to cover for whoever is 1st ruck without sacrificing run.

I know we wanted him a couple of years back, but with quite a bit of deadwood on our list, could we cut deep to afford a genuine match-winner, with some real class and quite a bit of much-needed pace? Question mark around flakiness, yes.

Thought it worth a discussion.

Sockeye Salmon
25-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Good player no question, but zero chance of getting him.

With our salary cap issues how could we fit him in at the best of times, let alone outbid Gold Coast for him.

Then you have to work out a trade. We have no draft picks, so we would have to offer up players. Voss knows he has to start from scratch so he won't be interested in anyone older than Brennan, so who do we offer? Everitt won't get the job done.

Then consider is he the kind of player we need?

I think we have 4 problems.

1. Midfeld pace. Brennan is quick enough but doesn't break lines.
2. Crumbing defensive forward. No
3. Key defender to replace Lake. No
4. Utility back to replace Hargrave. No.

Prefer others.

Trading is the work of the devil.

Greystache
25-08-2010, 11:42 AM
He's looking for a lot of money, some reports suggest up to $600k, I wouldn't pay that for him.

He has an X factor about him and is the type who could be a surprise match winner in a big final, but personally what he'd cost in trade and salary I don't think he's reliable or constistent enough to take the punt.

Will there be anyone left at the Lions who'll be prepared to work under Voss? Lambert announced he was moving on last night too.

The Coon Dog
25-08-2010, 11:44 AM
No, not at $600K.

ratsmac
25-08-2010, 12:23 PM
I like him but not at that price. Too inconsistant for mine.

Who would give up to get him anyhow? Minson and a draft pick maybe. But I don't think Brisbane would go for it. Anyway, no trade talk till after the finals.

chef
25-08-2010, 04:06 PM
If only we could convinced Harbrow that he would be better off going to Brisbane instead and do a straight swap(but then again he's not worth $600,00 and we would be struggling to fit him into our cap)

mighty_west
25-08-2010, 04:48 PM
If only we could convinced Harbrow that he would be better off going to Brisbane instead and do a straight swap(but then again he's not worth $600,00 and we would be struggling to fit him into our cap)

But if Harbrow's already signed with the Gold Coa....oh wait!

chef
25-08-2010, 05:34 PM
But if Harbrow's already signed with the Gold Coa....oh wait!

That's why I said 'if only'.

G-Mo77
25-08-2010, 06:00 PM

What would Harbrow be on now? I doubt it would be a lot and will probably not give us much salary relief when he departs.

mighty_west
25-08-2010, 06:10 PM
That's why I said 'if only'.

Ah yes, well, in that case, meetings between Brisbane & the Dogs have come to a deal on day one in a straight swap, Gold Coast steps in, but he's already signed with us, the answer back is that is against the rules, Brissy & The Dogs look at the AFL with the lawyers..................

mighty_west
25-08-2010, 06:11 PM
What would Harbrow be on now? I doubt it would be a lot and will probably not give us much salary relief when he departs.

How much cap relief would Aker [not alot], Eagleton [not much more], Hahn & Johnson free up?

chef
25-08-2010, 06:39 PM
Ah yes, well, in that case, meetings between Brisbane & the Dogs have come to a deal on day one in a straight swap, Gold Coast steps in, but he's already signed with us, the answer back is that is against the rules, Brissy & The Dogs look at the AFL with the lawyers..................

We can always dream.......but then again if we end up with two first round picks for Harbrow I would be very happy with that compensation.

chef
25-08-2010, 06:40 PM
How much cap relief would Aker [not alot], Eagleton [not much more], Hahn & Johnson free up?

Griffen will be taking most of this you would think.

LostDoggy
25-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Griffen will be taking most of this you would think.

Hopefully that is the case.

Greystache
26-08-2010, 10:32 AM

Would've thought about $900,000 (Aker $200, Eagle $100(vet) Hahn $300, Johnson $300(vet)

Flamethrower
26-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Brennan is a freak but 600K is too much.

Josh Drummond could also be available - not sure what he is asking for but he would be a very handy replacement for Harbrow.

Lots of talk about Bachar Houli being out of favour at the Dons - wouldn't mind him in the red, white and blue either.

anfo27
28-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Brennan is a freak but 600K is too much.

Josh Drummond could also be available - not sure what he is asking for but he would be a very handy replacement for Harbrow.

Lots of talk about Bachar Houli being out of favour at the Dons - wouldn't mind him in the red, white and blue either.

I think I heard somewhere that Drummond is asking around $400-$450, elite kick but is very injury prone with hammys & quads & now coming off LARS surgery. He is still only 26 & at the right price would be very dangerous.

I like Houli as well but I would think his future at Windy Hill all depends if Knights stays or not.

Myers is another who is always in & out of that team & always in the best at Bendigo.

Topdog
15-09-2010, 12:33 PM
and he is gone.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/jared-brennan-joins-the-brisbane-lions-exodus/story-e6frf9jf-1225923497749

Won't be coming to us though.

Scraggers
15-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Won't be coming to us though.

I would take him in a heartbeat ... But I agree, he won't be coming our way

G-Mo77
15-09-2010, 03:12 PM
I would take him in a heartbeat ... But I agree, he won't be coming our way

Why? Do you honestly think he'll be a great service if we get him? When he is on his game he looks a million dollars but when he's off and that happens a lot he's atrocious!

I'd rather the Dogs not clutter up the cap with players like him. Carlton and GC are welcome to him.

Desipura
15-09-2010, 03:14 PM
Why? Do you honestly think he'll be a great service if we get him? When he is on his game he looks a million dollars but when he's off and that happens a lot he's atrocious!

I'd rather the Dogs not clutter up the cap with players like him. Carlton and GC are welcome to him.
I agree, he would not really address any of our weaknesses and would not come cheaply.
Either way, we will not be getting him.

SlimPickens
15-09-2010, 03:33 PM
don't want him, nor can we afford him.

Scraggers
15-09-2010, 04:03 PM

Firstly, his versatility ... he can play forward, back, or in the ruck
Second, I disagree he's 'off' as much as you alude to ... playing injured or under done you are right he can be atrocious, when fit, he is a major influence in the game. Jonathon Brown said recently that Brennan was just about to join the elite of the AFL and I agree ... with a good team around him (for example us) he will become the next best thing.

If we get the opportunity, we should sign him ... but as i said in my original post, I doubt we will even get a look in.

LostDoggy
15-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Would've thought about $900,000 (Aker $200, Eagle $100(vet) Hahn $300, Johnson $300(vet)

Lake Cooney and Griffen would tke most of that

LostDoggy
15-09-2010, 05:16 PM
Nah, too inconsistent for mine. Maybe we could develop him a bit, but not at that price!

chef
15-09-2010, 05:26 PM
I would rather Sherman(if only he was on a little less money) as he fits our needs better and would be cheaper to get trade wise(and GC is the only place Brennen will be going).

GVGjr
15-09-2010, 05:32 PM
I would rather Sherman(if only he was on a little less money) as he fits our needs better and would be cheaper to get trade wise(and GC is the only place Brennen will be going).

He apparently has a heavily back loaded contract and few clubs would want to take that on.
The Lions have backed themselves into a corner with their contract management.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-09-2010, 05:33 PM

This.

I'd love Sherman, but surely he would cost us a fair bit too?

chef
15-09-2010, 05:59 PM
He apparently has a heavily back loaded contract and few clubs would want to take that on.
The Lions have backed themselves into a corner with their contract management.

Yep, another stuff up. That place is falling apart fast.

If he was going to come to us we would definitely need to renegotiate his contract.

Sockeye Salmon
15-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Yep, another stuff up. That place is falling apart fast.

If he was going to come to us we would definitely need to renegotiate his contract.

Either you pay bigtime in trades and Brisbane take the contract or get him cheap and wear the whole lot. Depends if Brisbane really do still have salary cap problems.