PDA

View Full Version : Ben Cousins documentary

angelopetraglia
25-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Is everyone going to watch the Ben Cousins documentary tonight?

If you have appropriately aged children, are you going to let them watch?

I will definitely be watching, have been looking forward to seeing the true story, well Ben's version of the truth anyway.

Should make for fascinating TV. It will be interested to see how raw, exposed and truthful it is versus simple spin. Also interesting to see if it glamorises substance abuse Vs make a powerful statement against illegal substances.

The Coon Dog
25-08-2010, 01:04 PM
I'll watch it for sure.

I have 2 children aged 15 & 12 & will tape it. If I think it sends the right message I'll then let them watch it.

Murphy'sLore
25-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Was discussing this question this morning; I guess we will probably end up watching it.

My six year old asked very seriously, 'Is it the law in Melbourne?'

LostDoggy
25-08-2010, 02:48 PM
I won't be watching. I just don't have any interest in him at all. :p

LostDoggy
25-08-2010, 03:49 PM
I've got better things to do. Not going to waste my time on this.

AndrewP6
25-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Watching now...was always going to watch it. Have softened my stance on Cousins quite a bit over the last couple of years. Would take enormous courage for him to show himself in this light, warts and all, to a national audience. Having some personal experience of living with someone with addiction, it hit home.

chef
25-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Watching now...was always going to watch it.

Me too(my wife is a big fan).

GVGjr
25-08-2010, 09:34 PM
Gee a lot of people knew of his problems but wouldn't out him to primarily protect his career. Did this help him or just delay the inevitable?

AndrewP6
25-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Gee a lot of people knew of his problems but wouldn't out him to primarily protect his career. Did this help him or just delay the inevitable?

I'd probably say the latter...although the argument could be made that keeping him involved in the environment of a professional football club, with all its inherent structures and demands, could assist him by providing a focus for him (and support when needed). Outing him, and therefore costing him his job, may have seen him go further into the drugs/drink, believing there's nothing to stay clean for. That's the dilemma.

Having said that, I still think the latter...maybe :confused:

The Coon Dog
25-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Very confronting.

I didn't realise his drug addiction was a bad as it was/is.

I really feel for his father.

BulldogBelle
25-08-2010, 10:22 PM

Yes, appears that way - recalling back to when it all blew up, there was the constant inuendo that the WCE just swept it under the carpet. A very confronting doco.

GVGjr
25-08-2010, 10:25 PM
Very confronting.

I didn't realise his drug addiction was a bad as it was/is.

I really feel for his father.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't understand the whole drugs issue but whilst his father came across as a good bloke, and I do feel sorry for him, he also came across as someone who covered for Ben way too much. Whilst a lot of people will say that a parent's role is to protect their children (whatever age) no matter what they are doing, I can see some flaws in that when it comes to someone who is misleading so many others and is obvioulsy going down a very bad road.

Ben thought he was bullet proof because no one close to him would bring things to a head.
Bryan was worried that the captaincy would be too much for his son and he spoke to the club about it however, he certainly didn't give them the full picture. I don't think this approach of hiding the issue helped Ben at all with his problem.

AndrewP6
25-08-2010, 10:38 PM
I'll be the first to admit that I don't understand the whole drugs issue but whilst his father came across as a good bloke, and I do feel sorry for him, he also came across as someone who covered for Ben way too much. Whilst a lot of people will say that a parent's role is to protect their children (whatever age) no matter what they are doing, I can see some flaws in that when it comes to someone who is misleading so many others and is obvioulsy going down a very bad road.

Ben thought he was bullet proof because no one close to him would bring things to a head.
Bryan was worried that the captaincy would be too much for his son and he spoke to the club about it however, he certainly didn't give them the full picture. I don't think this approach of hiding the issue helped Ben at all with his problem.

I agree that covering for him in the long run didn't really help him address it, but can totally understand the reasoning. As you say, it's natural instinct, and even exists with the hurt that can be caused as a result of the person's actions. The alternative of turning him in, seeing him sink even further and then having to bury him obviously isn't good.

Certainly a very complex issue.

Scraggers
26-08-2010, 01:32 AM
I have just finished watching part 1 ... He still doesn't get it. He still has that smarmy grin on his face like he is untouchable :(

In saying that, I am hoping (more for Bryan's sake than anything else) that part 2 is where the smirk is wiped off his face.

I admire anyone who can face their demons ... I really hope that's what I see with Ben in part 2

LostDoggy
26-08-2010, 09:34 AM
Yes, I watched it. I too have had experience with addictive personalities and 12 step programs, and I totally understand why his family found it difficult to "out" him. Most addicts need to get to rock bottom before they can start the long crawl back up, and for that to happen, friends and family usually have to give "tough love", i.e., no help at all. Very difficult for families to do, when the natural response is to help, rescue, etc. I heard someone comment this morning that they thought he was arrogant, but most addicts are in some way, it is usually "all about them". It is just the nature of the addictive personality (in my experience). It was confronting in a lot of ways, and I also did not realise just how long he had been doing drugs, i.e., from his late teens. Good luck to him on this part of his journey - I think that coming "out" like this is a very healthy part of his recovery.

LostDoggy
26-08-2010, 09:58 AM
I don't get it.. how would the doco in any way deter any young person watching it from doing anything Ben did? The guy has come out of this a hero, with a whole flippin' two hour waste of tv space dedicated to him. Do you think you could learn more from watching a wanker talk about himself for two hours, or maybe say, learning about how Chris Grant lives HIS life?

But no, we don't make docos about the good guys in this country, do we? Chris should have gone and drank for a year and then stopped and got someone to give him lots of money to let them video him shirtless. That way, he would be a 'true-blue' hero to the working class man, because in this country if you live your life well you are ignored, but if you act up and be an idiot, you become a folk hero.

That was pure PR rubbish, and I have ZERO sympathy for the guy or his delusional big-fish-in-tiny-pond father, who are both in this for as much of the limelight as they can squeeze out of it -- he wasn't coming 'out', he was outed by the police, and this doco was nothing more than a narcissistic repositioning of the Ben Cousins brand. (I deal professionally with people with addictions regularly in my development work, and that doco had the professional value to anyone dealing with addiction of a doughnut.)

You want to see how to make a doco about truly inspirational stories and good guys in sport? Watch any episode of America's Game.

GVGjr
26-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Yes, I watched it. I too have had experience with addictive personalities and 12 step programs, and I totally understand why his family found it difficult to "out" him. Most addicts need to get to rock bottom before they can start the long crawl back up, and for that to happen, friends and family usually have to give "tough love", i.e., no help at all. Very difficult for families to do, when the natural response is to help, rescue, etc. I heard someone comment this morning that they thought he was arrogant, but most addicts are in some way, it is usually "all about them".

A friend on mine who I have only known for 3 years was faced with a situation several years back where his son was well over the 0.5 limit but was insisting that he get into his car and drive to a friends place. The father offered to drive and or to pay for a taxi rather than see his son hop in behind the wheel but the son, despite his fathers efforts, still got into his car and drove off. Faced with the possibility of his son hurting himself or others my friend contacted the police who intercepted him a few minutes later. The son was charged and lost his license and was livid with his father for dobbing him in.
In the end the son calmed down and has never driven the car whenever he has had even one drink.

Till this day my fiend says that despite his natural instincts to not dob his son in it was the best decision he could have made.

From what I saw last night, Bryan chose a different approach.

chef
26-08-2010, 06:06 PM
I'll watch it for sure.

I have 2 children aged 15 & 12 & will tape it. If I think it sends the right message I'll then let them watch it.

I wouldn't want me 13 year old daughter watching it so far.

Desipura
26-08-2010, 08:28 PM
I just watched part 1 and thought he was glorifying the use of drugs saying how many good times he had. I hope part 2 is more about how it had ruined his and his families life.
There were strong rumours that he was on drugs when he first got drafted, they now have been confirmed by Ben himself which was good to hear his honesty.

AndrewP6
26-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Yes, I watched it. I too have had experience with addictive personalities and 12 step programs, and I totally understand why his family found it difficult to "out" him. Most addicts need to get to rock bottom before they can start the long crawl back up, and for that to happen, friends and family usually have to give "tough love", i.e., no help at all. Very difficult for families to do, when the natural response is to help, rescue, etc. I heard someone comment this morning that they thought he was arrogant, but most addicts are in some way, it is usually "all about them". It is just the nature of the addictive personality (in my experience). It was confronting in a lot of ways, and I also did not realise just how long he had been doing drugs, i.e., from his late teens. Good luck to him on this part of his journey - I think that coming "out" like this is a very healthy part of his recovery.

Well said MG...

DOG GOD
27-08-2010, 06:13 PM
Hmmm at any stage did Ben remorse the fact that he started taking drugs at 17? dont think so. The whole thing from my opinion was his story about how his drug taking (which he thought was ok) became something that he couldnt control, which lead to addiction. He showed no remorse other than the fact the his family was dragged thru it all. He is nothing but a bonafide wanna be rockstar who loves being the centre of attention and in the limelight.

His whole msg right at the start shouldve been...."Drugs are bad and ruin lives. DO NOT take drugs".

AndrewP6
27-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Hmmm at any stage did Ben remorse the fact that he started taking drugs at 17? dont think so. The whole thing from my opinion was his story about how his drug taking (which he thought was ok) became something that he couldnt control, which lead to addiction. He showed no remorse other than the fact the his family was dragged thru it all. He is nothing but a bonafide wanna be rockstar who loves being the centre of attention and in the limelight.

His whole msg right at the start shouldve been...."Drugs are bad and ruin lives. DO NOT take drugs".

He did in the intro, speak of how he hoped the film would send a message about the effect drugs can have on your life, and of his hope that showing it might save even one person's life, and help people better understand addiction. Sadly, the story of a teenager thinking they're "bullet-proof" and that they can survive doing dangerous things is all too common - as is the instance of people realising too late that they've messed up.

EDIT: IN the intro of part 2, Cousins does acknowledge the perception that he doesn't care about his behaviour, and also apologises for the hurt he's caused. He finishes the intro with "The message is clear: drugs ruin lives". To me, that's very honest and gutsy.

DOG GOD
27-08-2010, 10:33 PM
He did in the intro, speak of how he hoped the film would send a message about the effect drugs can have on your life, and of his hope that showing it might save even one person's life, and help people better understand addiction. Sadly, the story of a teenager thinking they're "bullet-proof" and that they can survive doing dangerous things is all too common - as is the instance of people realising too late that they've messed up.

Yeah the effect of drugs, not the fact that you shouldnt take them AT ALL. To me Andrew P6, he never came across as someone who regrets taking drugs. He was sorry for how it has all panned out re: his family, footy etc, but not remorseful for taking drugs in general. Maybe its just me though.

AndrewP6
27-08-2010, 10:39 PM
Yeah the effect of drugs, not the fact that you shouldnt take them AT ALL. To me Andrew P6, he never came across as someone who regrets taking drugs. He was sorry for how it has all panned out re: his family, footy etc, but not remorseful for taking drugs in general. Maybe its just me though.

I get what you mean, his public persona does paint that picture... just having some personal involvement with addiction, I'm kind of looking at it from another angle.

Just watching it again now actually...his retelling of the "running from the cops" incident didn't really help his cause. That segment certainly comes across as him boasting of his attempted escapade.

Twodogs
28-08-2010, 09:35 AM

That one. If you are functioning as a drug addict and making people money or bringing them success then those people arent going to do anything about it except ignore it.

Ive often thanked my lucky stars that I didnt have any special gifts to give to the world. It meant that when I wanted to to stop I could do it without the entire population putting their two bobs worth in.

When I relapsed (which is pretty much inevitable), my drama wasnt played out in public. I could address at in my own pace.

A friend on mine who I have only known for 3 years was faced with a situation several years back where his son was well over the 0.5 limit but was insisting that he get into his car and drive to a friends place. The father offered to drive and or to pay for a taxi rather than see his son hop in behind the wheel but the son, despite his fathers efforts, still got into his car and drove off. Faced with the possibility of his son hurting himself or others my friend contacted the police who intercepted him a few minutes later. The son was charged and lost his license and was livid with his father for dobbing him in.

You're comparing apples with oranges mate. What your friend did was the right thing and we know that because we have the drink/drive message shoved down our throat all the time-noone is under any misaprahension about what happens when you climb behind the wheel pissed.

The drug world is a lot more complicated. Not as much is understood or is public as drinkdriving. It's murky, dangerous and if you make the wrong move it's fatal on many levels(you could overdose, you could go to jail, you could be killed because someone owes you/you owe them money).

Brian Cousins did exactly the right thing when he was confronted with Ben's situation. He took advice, he proved his love over and over again and he was there for Ben when Ben needed him.

I know it's usualy a frivilous show but the hour between 10 and 11 on KB's show on SEN yesterday with Neil Balme and Dave Colbert(I Think) was great listening. I leared a lot listening to that hour and I've been an addict for the last 30 years. I've put my parents through exactly the same thing that the Cousins went through and I have them to thank for the fact that I still walk the Earth.

I'll always be an addict. I havent used in so long but I still have to be careful where I go and what I do-if I found myself confromted with drugs and I wasnt in the right mood to say no, I dont what would happen.

LostDoggy
28-08-2010, 10:46 AM

EDIT: IN the intro of part 2, Cousins does acknowledge the perception that he doesn't care about his behaviour, and also apologises for the hurt he's caused. He finishes the intro with "The message is clear: drugs ruin lives". To me, that's very honest and gutsy.

Although Ben might have been sincere in what he said in the introduction, the intro seemed tacked on at the last minute and was probably a condition of getting the thing to air (that it be percieved as having some kind of anti drugs message or educational value). I thought it was nothing of the sort and glorified drug taking as much as serving as a deterrent.

Ghost Dog
28-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Interesting way to compare Asian and western culture. He would be a dead man in most other countries.