PDA

View Full Version : The Good News Thread

Mofra
26-08-2010, 12:12 PM
"Morale is a force multiplier" - from the Duntroon 1973 leadership manual, 9 principles of leadership.

Ok, so we're having a bit of a shit run at the moment, so to ward off all the doom and gloom, I propose that only good news be posted here. Hopefully, when people are feeling down about the club, they can read something here that provides a little bit of hope.

So, to start, the Gold Coast Suns will pillage the draft, completely rendering the talent of offer to the remaining clubs much worse than in a normal year.

Except for us :)

We know about Libba & Mitch, but did everyone know that Mitch, in his first three games in the u18 champs, averaged a whopping 140 Supercoach points?
Ave 28 disposals at 83% efficiency. Elite! :)

Throughandthrough
26-08-2010, 12:27 PM
We will have 22 players run out for the finals game! So will the other teams!

Throughandthrough
26-08-2010, 12:38 PM
We didn't sign Fevola

jazzadogs
26-08-2010, 12:50 PM
We have Barry now, so there won't be innuendo about us signing Quinten Lynch in the off season.

LostDoggy
26-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Our colours aren't poos and wees. :D

bornadog
26-08-2010, 12:57 PM
We have introduced some exciting kids into the team, with Roughead, Jones, Grant, Wood to name a few. Can't wait to see how they further develop in years to come.

LostDoggy
26-08-2010, 12:58 PM
None of our players look like an alpaca.

Sockeye Salmon
26-08-2010, 12:59 PM
We traded Jordan McMahon for Callan Ward.

Murphy'sLore
26-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Expectations for this year are now zero. Maybe the weight of expectation which we groaned under at the beginning of this season will be diminished for next year too.

Under the radar -- the only place to fly!

Dancin' Douggy
26-08-2010, 01:03 PM
We traded Jordan McMahon for Callan Ward.

That really makes me feel warm and toasty.

LostDoggy
26-08-2010, 01:04 PM
We're not Richmond.

ledge
26-08-2010, 01:07 PM
I love the red, white and blue.

mighty_west
26-08-2010, 01:18 PM
For the first time ever, or as long as i've been a passionate supporter, we will go into this next decade with a REAL spine, - Lake [FB], Williams [CHB], Jones [CHF], Grant [FF], with the likes of Cordy & Roughead giving a chop out.

ReLoad
26-08-2010, 01:28 PM
The next 3 years we will NOT be talking about a need for tall players, nor will we be kidnapping anyone who walks down Barkley street that is over 6 foot.

The clayton legacy is that he has left us with a few good ones who look like we will put 50 games in to see how they turn out.

We have also heavily blooded younger players this year, a LOT more than i thought we would.

We certainly will not be bottoming out in years to come like other top teams have done in the past, struggle perhaps but not totally bottom out.

i still firmly think we can with an ounce of luck still make a prelim this year.

Throughandthrough
26-08-2010, 01:30 PM
None of our players look like an alpaca, apart from Bob Murphy.

editted for accuracy.

LostDoggy
26-08-2010, 01:36 PM
We beat Collingwood the last time we played them in a final.

Cyberdoggie
26-08-2010, 02:07 PM
It's only up from here!......

Mofra
26-08-2010, 02:09 PM
They've identified the issue with Higgins and he'll get back to his bext next year which had people wondering in his first two seasons how the hell he slipped to pick 11.

Desipura
26-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Nathan Brown went to Richmond to play finals..........and didn't! :D Now I feel a little better.

LostDoggy
26-08-2010, 02:58 PM
none of our players look like an alpaca.

lol!

Scorlibo
26-08-2010, 03:01 PM
We have beaten Collingwood at least once every year since 2004.

Prince Imperial
26-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Vic Uni have now moved into the Whitten Oval and we will be able to share their elite sports performance facilities both there and at their Footscray Park campus:

http://www.starnewsgroup.com.au/story/93651

:)

aker39
26-08-2010, 03:23 PM
We have introduced some exciting kids into the team, with Roughead, Jones, Grant, Wood to name a few. Can't wait to see how they further develop in years to come.

Can someone tell Craig Hutchison this

Desipura
26-08-2010, 03:23 PM
At least we still have our soul, the Whittten Oval. How many games did Lexus play for your Collingwood rabble?

Jasper
26-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Gerard Wheatley argued on afl 360 that our Window is just opening and not closing like many in the media are saying(like that bald knob huchty). He argue that it was our numbers of up and comers that played a large part in getting us to 4th and not the aging players(aka, johno eagle etc).

I agree with him and have been arguing this case for the last year. Our kids are as good any young list in the league.

The Underdog
26-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Gerard Wheatley argued on afl 360 that our Window is just opening and not closing like many in the media are saying(like that bald knob huchty). He argue that it was our numbers of up and comers that played a large part in getting us to 4th and not the aging players(aka, johno eagle etc).

I agree with him and have been arguing this case for the last year. Our kids are as good any young list in the league.

Ahh, my Gerard Whately man-crush continues unabated.
A beacon of sensible independence and perspective in a (football media) world awash with sensationalism and short memories

bornadog
26-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Vic Uni have now moved into the Whitten Oval and we will be able to share their elite sports performance facilities both there and at their Footscray Park campus:

http://www.starnewsgroup.com.au/story/93651

:)

and paying Rent:)

LostDoggy
26-08-2010, 04:01 PM
We still have the best Full Back of all time (Not my words ;))

Mofra
26-08-2010, 04:27 PM
The rangas who don't dye their hair have played well for us this year :)

Edit: Liam Jones is included in the above statement as under the dulex colour charts, "Kind of orangey" is included with the red shades

mighty_west
26-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Jason Akermanis's radio gig is at a radio station that is at the arse end of the ratings table.

Remi Moses
26-08-2010, 05:02 PM

If there is one new age statement that shits me to tears is this "Window" tripe!Mark Robinson never watches VFL or under 18 's yet he sees fit to pass comment. Somehow we've managed through the retirements of Smith,Darcy,Grant and West!!

chef
26-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Liberatore and Wallis will be bulldog players in a couple of months time.

The Pie Man
26-08-2010, 06:27 PM
We have beaten Collingwood at least once every year since 2004.

And we're a chance to beat them again next week!

azabob
26-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Ahh, my Gerard Whately man-crush continues unabated.
A beacon of sensible independence and perspective in a (football media) world awash with sensationalism and short memories

Couldn't agree more!

EasternWest
26-08-2010, 07:22 PM

You know Gerard Whately is pretty bald too. Don't be baldist :).

BulldogBelle
26-08-2010, 08:40 PM
I was heading out to Woop Woop last week and passed a town called Dalwallinu. They had this display and I just had to take a photo.

Right in the middle of West Coast Eagles land.

http://a.imageshack.us/img840/5686/dalwal02.jpg

It is of the Dalwallinu Football and Hockey Club.

Then I went onto a place called 'Sandstone'. They had a Western Bulldogs flag hanging up in the Post Office. They guy there told me that it was signed by a member of the Bulldogs Forever Foundation who had raised $12.5 million for them.

This post office in Sandstone was also the general store, deli, milkbar, hardware store, petrol station and Mines Department.

jazzadogs
26-08-2010, 10:23 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^

I had a 19 year old friend who thought we were from West Coast...maybe we're going with that angle now??

Dancin' Douggy
26-08-2010, 11:01 PM
We can rabidly scream LLLLIIIIIBBBBAAAAA!!!!!!!!.
again pretty soon.

LostDoggy
26-08-2010, 11:24 PM
I'm gonna have a deadly smile soon. So look out Chelsea, my fairest female flag furler and flyer.

LostDoggy
26-08-2010, 11:27 PM
We cannot lose to Adelaide in a Prelim this year!!

LostDoggy
26-08-2010, 11:42 PM
editted for accuracy.

Nah, Murph looks more like E.T.

LostDoggy
26-08-2010, 11:48 PM
Williamstown is on top of the VFL and is our affiliated side. Werribee is not our affiliated side as was mistakenly quoted in the Herald Sun earlier this week!!!

LostDoggy
27-08-2010, 01:00 AM
I win a bottle of rum due to a bet I made in the first few rounds where I said the dogs will finish higher on the ladder than Brisbane.

LostDoggy
27-08-2010, 11:18 AM
I win a bottle of rum due to a bet I made in the first few rounds where I said the dogs will finish higher on the ladder than Brisbane.

Nice one - I would asked to put a grand on that bet, none of this queensland river water drinking business ;)

LostDoggy
27-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Williamstown is on top of the VFL and is our affiliated side. Werribee is not our affiliated side as was mistakenly quoted in the Herald Sun earlier this week!!!

More good news: All your children are smarter than the people they let sub-edit the daily rag. (joke, joke, two good friends are HS subeditors, of the entertainment section, no less. Wait a minute...)

Bulldog4life
27-08-2010, 12:13 PM
No matter how many play our great game one thing remains constant.
E.J will always be MR. FOOTBALL!

Bumper Bulldogs
27-08-2010, 02:56 PM
We have forgotten about Aker and he cant get a job in the Media.

Moves back to Brisbane and Brown/Fev knock his block off.

Bumper Bulldogs
27-08-2010, 03:00 PM
We kiss and make up with Terry Wallace, then draft his son under the father and son rule, then flick Terry just to show him what a lack of respect feels like.

Bumper Bulldogs
27-08-2010, 03:04 PM
Hawthorn have the 1st player to be found to tested positive 3 times, and the AFL stuff this up bigger than the B.Cousins saga.

LostDoggy
27-08-2010, 05:11 PM
We have the most AWESOME scarves in the AFL, actually in the whole World!! (WOOF/BEARD scarves of course!!) :D

comrade
27-08-2010, 05:20 PM
We have the most AWESOME scarves in the AFL, actually in the whole World!! (WOOF/BEARD scarves of course!!) :D

Along the same lines:

We are privileged to support the greatest beard in the history of facial hair.

Ghost Dog
27-08-2010, 05:49 PM
$$$$$$ ----- > Financial situation of the club. This is what alot of the dog bashers seem to overlook. Our earnings have been well below other clubs for years. Finally we are just about over that hump.

Speaking of money, here is one player who could have won a brownlow with us had we not been so broke, having to trade him. Anyone see 'superboot' on Mangrook last night? What an amazing player. My, they did wear tight shorts back then.

He was a prodigious kicker of the football which earned him the nickname "superboot". He regularly featured in the World of Sport kicking competitions (a sports program which was popular in Melbourne for three decades) and is reported to have once kicked a goal from the wing at the Whitten Oval, Footscray (a distance approaching 100 metres):eek:

wikipedia

GVGjr
27-08-2010, 09:20 PM
Speaking of money, here is one player who could have won a brownlow with us had we not been so broke, having to trade him. Anyone see 'superboot' on Mangrook last night? What an amazing player. My, they did wear tight shorts back then.

He was a prodigious kicker of the football which earned him the nickname "superboot". He regularly featured in the World of Sport kicking competitions (a sports program which was popular in Melbourne for three decades) and is reported to have once kicked a goal from the wing at the Whitten Oval, Footscray (a distance approaching 100 metres):eek:

wikipedia

From memory he kicked the ball 85 and 3/4 yards in one of the competitions. The guys standing down field had turn around and run back 25 yards to measure it.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
27-08-2010, 09:28 PM
We kiss and make up with Terry Wallace, then draft his son under the father and son rule, then flick Terry just to show him what a lack of respect feels like.

I didn't think Terry's kid qualifies as a Father/son rule?. If I recall he was wanting the AFL to consider including both games played and coached as part of the criteria, but they would not do it?

LostDoggy
28-08-2010, 02:14 AM
Check out my new thead, Mohawk Money for Many. :)

LostDoggy
28-08-2010, 02:16 AM
We have forgotten about Aker and he cant get a job in the Media.

Moves back to Brisbane and Brown/Fev knock his block off.

What about Brown AND Fevola? Just for all the Acka bashers out there.

BulldogBelle
28-08-2010, 04:19 AM
$$$$$$ ----- > Financial situation of the club. This is what alot of the dog bashers seem to overlook. Our earnings have been well below other clubs for years. Finally we are just about over that hump.

wikipedia

I saw that kick, it was on the Hawkins wing and being kicked towards the Barkley Street end. He had a lovely balanced run up. kicked the ball on its end and it just sailed high and kept on going. Incredible.

BornInDroopSt'54
28-08-2010, 10:45 AM
We are not out of the competition in 2010 and an against the odds, courageous victory over Collongwood would put steel in our spine, fire in our legend and change the script completely.

LostDoggy
28-08-2010, 10:55 AM
We are not out of the competition in 2010 and an against the odds, courageous victory over Collongwood would put steel in our spine, fire in our legend and change the script completely.

It would be almost as good as winning the Grand Final itself :cool:

boydogs
28-08-2010, 06:11 PM
Collingwood are beatable, having gone down to the Hawks today

BulldogBelle
28-08-2010, 06:46 PM
And they should have lost last week also. Maybe tapering, or hopefully going off the boil a bit. They have been 'up and about' for a long time.

LostDoggy
28-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Collingwood are beatable, having gone down to the Hawks today

Ok after watching the Pies and now the Saints, our stars are there to be changed!

SPower
28-08-2010, 08:38 PM
The COLLIEWOBBLES have set in early !!!!!

Throughandthrough
28-08-2010, 09:54 PM
we only have to put up with andrejs for two more quarters this year.
Hooray, Thats great news.

Nb posted at half time of rd twenty two.

comrade
28-08-2010, 10:03 PM

Average post.

Why does Dre get the blow torch applied after a bad half, when guys like Eagle and Hahn can have stinker after stinker and get a free run from the MC?

chef
28-08-2010, 10:25 PM
we only have to put up with andrejs for two more quarters this year.Hooray, Thats great news.

He will play next week IMO.

Scorlibo
28-08-2010, 10:59 PM
Average post.

Why does Dre get the blow torch applied after a bad half, when guys like Eagle and Hahn can have stinker after stinker and get a free run from the MC?

Can they? We haven't seen either of them have 'stinker after stinker' so we don't know, as I recall Hahn was among our best bunch last week and Eagle was just about our best both last week and against the Crows. Both have spent time at Willi and come back to put in good performances, Everitt needs to do the same.

SPower
28-08-2010, 11:06 PM

Edited and changed rather not comment!!!

comrade
28-08-2010, 11:09 PM
Can they? We haven't seen either of them have 'stinker after stinker' so we don't know, as I recall Hahn was among our best bunch last week and Eagle was just about our best both last week and against the Crows. Both have spent time at Willi and come back to put in good performances, Everitt needs to do the same.

Hahn was terrible before getting injured. He then came back via Willy for a token 2 week spell before being promoted off a 2 goal game in a 12 goal win against the worst VFL team in history. You claimed Hahn as one of our best - if last week's 13 disposals and 1 tackle represents his best return then we're better off developing a kid instead.

Eagle has had a patchy year to the extent where the MC were forced to drop him; an unprecedented move. He was just about worst on ground against Geelong in another perfomance that highlighted his complete ineptitude in games against true quality opposition yet still got a run last week.

Everitt has done plenty of time in the VFL and put up some solid performances. He doesn't deserve the chop after his first game back.

Scorlibo
28-08-2010, 11:47 PM
Hahn was terrible before getting injured. He then came back via Willy for a token 2 week spell before being promoted off a 2 goal game in a 12 goal win against the worst VFL team in history. You claimed Hahn as one of our best - if last week's 13 disposals and 1 tackle represents his best return then we're better off developing a kid instead.

Eagle has had a patchy year to the extent where the MC were forced to drop him; an unprecedented move. He was just about worst on ground against Geelong in another perfomance that highlighted his complete ineptitude in games against true quality opposition yet still got a run last week.

Everitt has done plenty of time in the VFL and put up some solid performances. He doesn't deserve the chop after his first game back.

There was nothing wrong with Hahn's form before he got injured, it certainly wasn't terrible. You must know as well as I that goal and disposal counts are misleading in the extreme, especially when talking about Mitch. He's barely ever in the bottom 5 players week to week so why does his name come up so regularly at the 'WOOF Selection Table'? Absolute rubbish.

Yes, Eagleton has gone back to Willy when he hasn't performed, so what's the issue? In reference to the Geelong game, no player performed even close to their best, it was an 100 point loss FFS, so why make a big deal of Eagleton's game when his past month has been as good as at least half the team's?

I would also like to see Everitt persevered with for more than 1-3 weeks but not right before the finals and definitely not ahead of any except the worst performed players, of which Hahn and Eagleton are not.

Throughandthrough
28-08-2010, 11:48 PM
Average post.

Who mentoned Eagle and Hahn?

Assuming "Dre" is Andrejs, he must have known his career was on the line. Then he put in a stinker, put in a half ar5ed effort, then gave up a goal by being poorly disciplined just on half time. May even get cited for it.

He doesn't have any credits in tha bank where he can afford to not give 100%.

Eagle and Hahn are in the latter stages of their careers, but at least Eagle can flow in and out of a game, better then just being out.

He kicked 3 goals tonight so thats a fair romp.

WHile Hahn has had a lousy year, he was "ok" tonight and pretty much held his own in defence. Also could play up forward if (when) things are going tits up.

ledge
29-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Eagle has been above what people are claiming he is, watching him over the last few weeks because some posters bag him I believe he deserves his place in the side, goes in, has that long raking shot at goal that usually gets the 6 points, knows how to get out on his own, a lot of experience in him on how to do things.
Do we have another just as good to replace him?

comrade
29-08-2010, 10:48 AM
Eagle has been above what people are claiming he is, watching him over the last few weeks because some posters bag him I believe he deserves his place in the side, goes in, has that long raking shot at goal that usually gets the 6 points, knows how to get out on his own, a lot of experience in him on how to do things.
Do we have another just as good to replace him?

Eagle has been good 2 out of the last 3 weeks. The fact that we're still relying on him to be a line breaker highlights the lack of running depth we have.

I'd almost bet the house that he's unsighted next week, however.

Before I Die
29-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Haven't visited this thread for two days. Wondered how long it would be before people ignored the thread title, now I have my answer.

Good news: We are no longer the same team (literally) that has only won 2 out of 11 (or something like that) against the other top four teams over the last two years. You can't win it if you aren't in it. Bring on September.

AndrewP6
29-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Back to the thread title...Good news:

We're in September action, and there are 8 teams who aren't.

comrade
29-08-2010, 06:17 PM
Calder won by 100 points in their final today, with Wallis kicking 3 goals and named in the bests

:D

The Pie Man
29-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Who mentoned Eagle and Hahn?

Assuming "Dre" is Andrejs, he must have known his career was on the line. Then he put in a stinker, put in a half ar5ed effort, then gave up a goal by being poorly disciplined just on half time. May even get cited for it.
He doesn't have any credits in tha bank where he can afford to not give 100%.

Eagle and Hahn are in the latter stages of their careers, but at least Eagle can flow in and out of a game, better then just being out.

He kicked 3 goals tonight so thats a fair romp.

WHile Hahn has had a lousy year, he was "ok" tonight and pretty much held his own in defence. Also could play up forward if (when) things are going tits up.

Given the thread's theme, I'm going to find a positive out that incident - Dre showed us some mongrel!!! He can get angry - and in a funny way, I don't think Eade will be that disappointed to have seen that (despite it being less than ideal giving away a free kick and putting yourself at the mercy of an horendoulsy inconsistence MRP)

Hotdog60
29-08-2010, 10:07 PM
I just did the finals predictor and I think we can beat Hawthorn.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb256/Diggydogxx/finals.jpg

Scraggers
02-09-2010, 06:02 PM
Ryan Griffen signed a new 2 year deal ... sounds like good news to me !!

LostDoggy
02-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Ryan Griffen signed a new 2 year deal ... sounds like good news to me !!

It's GREAT news.
I had a fellow dog tell me on the weekend that he was gone.
Like, a done deal to the GC.
I was shattered.

Mofra
03-09-2010, 10:54 AM
Calder won by 100 points in their final today, with Wallis kicking 3 goals and named in the bests

:D
This kid's going to be a ripper. Finds the ball and is an elite user of it. Could even snag a debut next year :)

comrade
03-09-2010, 11:01 AM
This kid's going to be a ripper. Finds the ball and is an elite user of it. Could even snag a debut next year :)

I think Libba and Wallis could both play some games next year, depending what approach we take.

If we crash in the finals this year, you'd think a clean out might be needed and the kids given a good run next year.

Mitcha
03-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Visy Park 12.00pm Saturday, go and watch our two father sons dominate before heading in to the G.

comrade
04-09-2010, 04:16 PM
Visy Park 12.00pm Saturday, go and watch our two father sons dominate before heading in to the G.

Geelong Falcons 0.2 1.5 3.6 7.8 (50)
Calder Cannons 4.3 7.4 7.7 11.9 (75)

GOALS:
Calder Cannons: Meli 3 Sullivan 2 Mitchell 2 Schroder Murphy Guthrie Williams

BEST:
Calder Cannons: Sullivan Wallis Liberatore Hunter Prestia Grenfell

Movement worthy!

Mofra
04-09-2010, 04:29 PM
BEST:
Calder Cannons: Sullivan Wallis Liberatore Hunter Prestia Grenfell
I know it isn't Lachie, but we will have to get used to seeing Hunter in the bests over the next two seasons :)

Bumper Bulldogs
04-09-2010, 07:58 PM
I just did the finals predictor and I think we can beat Hawthorn.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb256/Diggydogxx/finals.jpg

Wrong already. I must admit that mine was the sake but i think the dogs will do the pies.

The Adelaide Connection
05-09-2010, 05:13 AM
Was talking about this with a Collingwood mate before the game, we both thought the massive bonus for the side that was to lose Saturday nights game is that they go through to the 'easier' side of the draw. Not having to face Geelong in a Prelim is a massive, massive bonus and one can hopt that the team that comes through that one will be beat up and sore.

Some kind of positive to try to cling to.

Bumper Bulldogs
05-09-2010, 09:49 AM
Was talking about this with a Collingwood mate before the game, we both thought the massive bonus for the side that was to lose Saturday nights game is that they go through to the 'easier' side of the draw. Not having to face Geelong in a Prelim is a massive, massive bonus and one can hopt that the team that comes through that one will be beat up and sore.

Some kind of positive to try to cling to.

Spot on and we did have a double chance so lets hope it gets full use and we go all the way.

Throughandthrough
05-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Easton Wood (should) be back next Saturday!