PDA

View Full Version : Troy Selwood?

LostDoggy
26-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Has been told by the Lions he is no longer wanted, heard to be looking for a move to Victoria & Carlton has already been mentioned.

What are peoples thoughts, think he has any value?

Guy is 26 years old & not a bad player, could he offer us something?

The Bulldogs Bite
26-08-2010, 07:40 PM
No.

Very ordinary player. There's only one Selwood that's any good.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-08-2010, 07:46 PM
And older version of Dylan Addison. not what we need.

mighty_west
26-08-2010, 08:06 PM
No one could question his courage, but would only be a depth player at the Dogs, some club will pick him up though.

chef
26-08-2010, 08:19 PM
No thanks. I would rather Addison.

chef
26-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Nathan Djerrkura from Geelong would be worth a look at.

Desipura
26-08-2010, 08:51 PM
Agree totally.

soupman
26-08-2010, 09:30 PM

Was about to bring this up. Is he quick? If so he could be just what we need, and Geelong don't seem like a club that would demand too much for a fringe player, they tend to be pretty good at moving those sort of players on.

Greystache
26-08-2010, 09:51 PM
Slightly off the track for this thread but I'd like to see us go after alwyn Davey from Essendon, he's been in and out of their team until this year but fits a specific need we have.

Remi Moses
26-08-2010, 10:19 PM
Slightly off the track for this thread but I'd like to see us go after alwyn Davey from Essendon, he's been in and out of their team until this year but fits a specific need we have.

Agree was thinking the same thing when he got dropped a few weeks back. I see Josh Drummond wants 400 large or he's out! Thoughts?

Stevo
26-08-2010, 10:33 PM
No.

Very ordinary player. There's only one Selwood that's any good.

I think he was better than ordinary but right now he wouldn't offer us a lot. Picken can do a better tagging job

G-Mo77
27-08-2010, 12:52 AM

I asked a few guys today about him but unfortunately no one knew much. Any info?

divvydan
27-08-2010, 01:37 AM
Agree was thinking the same thing when he got dropped a few weeks back. I see Josh Drummond wants 400 large or he's out! Thoughts?

Can understand why Brisbane would baulk at such a figure. Drummond is 27, will be 28 in Apr next year (although didn't debut until 2005) has missed most of 2010 with an ACL injury, having taken the LARS option, and has a history of soft tissue injuries, especially quad tears.

On the plus side, he is, when fit and firing, a decent one on one defender, a very good zonal defender and one of the best kicks in the AFL. Has the size of Hargrave (or close to) but the kicking of Gilbee which is a great combination.

If we were able to tempt him with a performance based contract that had big bonuses for playing 20+ games in a season and he passed stringent medical testing then I'd consider it but I can't see him agreeing to a heavily performanced based contract and the risk of him being injured with his history and the history of players post knee reconstructions is just too great to justify the cost.

chef
27-08-2010, 06:53 AM
I asked a few guys today about him but unfortunately no one knew much. Any info?

Wisbey had a VERY promising write-up on him:

Quote:
DJERRKURA, Nathan (25 Geelong) [9]

176cm electrifying, fierce, dynamic, quick, clean, take-them-on, relentless ball-carrying dasher. Byron Picket with some Wirrpanda. Breaks the play open. Exciting combination of speed, motor, attack, physicality and natural footballer ability. Despite his height, I think he is likely to be something special. X-factor. Trademarks are (1) Come from nowhere to run opponent down with excellent closing speed and fierce tackle ("silent assassin" ), (2) Take-them-on dash then kick into forward 50 (if not nailed in the process!). Other main selling points are intensity, balance, contested ball ability, agility, endurance, overhead, consistency, evasion, traffic management, versatility. Gives away an avg 3 frees per game, virtually all through either (over-)ambitiously taking opponents on and getting nailed, or through over-zealous tackles. He's a smart kid and I'm confident he will learn to be more judicious. Regardless, even though 3 FAs a game is not what a coach would normally like to see, I think it is more than balanced by the pressure he puts opponents under (a la Davey, but with brutality) and the number of times he is actually successful in breaking the play open with his daring. i.e. If you want the benefits of his attack on the man and opening up of the play, you should expect to have to wear occasional slip-ups. Benefit greatly outweighs cost in Djerrkura's case. (I'd rather a kid who dares to dare than one who plays introverted). He is as quick as any '06 draftee. He is as good and as reliable in the air as most of the other good smalls/mediums who are good overhead. Usually a good kick and his disposals often hurt. Has the dash, daring and hurt factor you want from an outside player, the hardness and in-close ability you want from an inside player, plays tall, is versatile, is footballer and athlete in equal doses, is a great kid who will be very coachable, and doesn't have a "go home" query. Add endurance, physicality and ethic (both ways) to that and IMHO no other kid in this draft can lay better claim to that package of traits. I'm less hung up on height than many people are. Recent premiership teams, Brownlow high voters and AA teams prove there is always a place for a smaller player if he is special enough in certain areas or as a package. I rated Djerrkura quite a lot earlier than I knew he would go but am very confident he will be very good AFL. Except for (arguably) height, he is made for today's game and could play anywhere down the flanks. Probably best suited to HBF or wing in his early AFL days. Could play BP too but I believe his talents are best utilised where he can afford more risks. In the backline, will be able to supply both Pickett-like pressure as well as plenty of run out of defence and hardball get ability. Down the track I think he could be a good AFL onballer. Has the capacity to potentially be a run-with or even an inside mid. No doubts about his tank or speed or hardness and he is quite clean under pressure (both getting and disposing). And he should be virtually plug 'n play. Bargain.

The Coon Dog
27-08-2010, 07:43 AM
I'd certainly be interested in Nathan Djerrkira.

Go_Dogs
27-08-2010, 07:56 AM

Agreed.

Also I wonder who Salopek has been in talks with? At a guess he'll be playing for either St Kilda or Essendon next year.

Going to be a lot of player movements this off-season. And so the new look competition begins...

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
27-08-2010, 08:09 AM

I remember during his draft year that it would be great if we could somehow nab him. We have had a history of working sensibly with Geelong on trades in the past. Given Harbrow's increasingly likely departure and our need for someone with speed and ability to apply defensive pressure I would really hope the club considers this.
If Djerrkurra is wanting more opportunities then I think we can offer him that. I wonder what Geekong would consider as adequate compensation?

Desipura
27-08-2010, 08:34 AM
If Djerrkurra is wanting more opportunities then I think we can offer him that. I wonder what Geekong would consider as adequate compensation?
You would think a 2nd round pick would get the deal done. If Ablett stays at Geelong, the Suns would be in the box seat to get Djerrkurra.

comrade
27-08-2010, 09:11 AM
You would think a 2nd round pick would get the deal done. If Ablett stays at Geelong, the Suns would be in the box seat to get Djerrkurra.

He was a second round pick when he was drafted and done nothing since. A third rounder should get it done, based on Geelong's solid track record.

Desipura
27-08-2010, 09:15 AM
He was a second round pick when he was drafted and done nothing since. A third rounder should get it done, based on Geelong's solid track record.
Pick 25 to be exact. He is a small quick goalsneak come midfielder with good skill, they are in demand. Its not easy to get a game ahead of Varcoe & Stokes in one of the best teams going around. I hope you are right that a 3rd rounder will get the deal done. Its probably what he is worth but with the new side coming in and having so many concessions, I fear his value may increase.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-08-2010, 09:25 AM

Ditto.

I've seen him a couple of times and he's looekd impressive. Pretty hard at it and he's quick. He does struggle to get the ball/get involved but I hope we make a play for him.

Greystache
27-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Pick 25 to be exact. He is a small quick goalsneak come midfielder with good skill, they are in demand. Its not easy to get a game ahead of Varcoe & Stokes in one of the best teams going around. I hope you are right that a 3rd rounder will get the deal done. Its probably what he is worth but with the new side coming in and having so many concessions, I fear his value may increase.

We've seen several times that the myth of Geelong having gun players in the reserves who can't get a game because their senior side is so strong is just that, a myth. Tim Callan and Brent Prismall supposedly would've walked into any other team, yet Callan is most likely to be delisted this year due to his poor disposal and inability to keep his feet in a contest, and Prismall is in and out of one of the bottom teams due to his poor decision making under pressure and lack of accountability.

Djerrkurra may well turn out to be a good player, but he should be judged on what he has produced at AFL level and that's not much.

Mofra
27-08-2010, 09:29 AM
Looking elsewhere for more opportunity apparently. Not super-quick but quick enough, plays as a small mid at VFL level but we might be able to turn him into a goalsneak. Geelong fans tend to knock his disposal at speed/under pressure (sound familiar for an ex-Geelong type?) and rate Varcoe & Stokes as much quicker. His defensive efforts are rated highly which is what we need in the F50.

Desipura
27-08-2010, 11:20 AM
We've seen several times that the myth of Geelong having gun players in the reserves who can't get a game because their senior side is so strong is just that, a myth. Tim Callan and Brent Prismall supposedly would've walked into any other team, yet Callan is most likely to be delisted this year due to his poor disposal and inability to keep his feet in a contest, and Prismall is in and out of one of the bottom teams due to his poor decision making under pressure and lack of accountability.

Djerrkurra may well turn out to be a good player, but he should be judged on what he has produced at AFL level and that's not much.
Callan...Really? I did not hear that, maybe Prismall although he was not one I would have picked up.

chef
27-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Looks like Andrew Walker is wanting a trade and wants to stay in Melbourne, If Carlton are still keen on Dre would anyone do this trade?

Sockeye Salmon
27-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Looks like Andrew Walker is wanting a trade and wants to stay in Melbourne, If Carlton are still keen on Dre would anyone do this trade?

No. Hill perhaps.

The Coon Dog
27-08-2010, 05:00 PM

Not me, too injury prone & doesn't use it well enough.

Stevo
27-08-2010, 05:27 PM

Walker is a negating defender and would be a nice addition but trading Everitt to get him isnt a good deal for us.

boydogs
28-08-2010, 01:13 AM
We've seen several times that the myth of Geelong having gun players in the reserves who can't get a game because their senior side is so strong is just that, a myth.

Brodie Moles
Steven King
Shane Mumford
Charlie Gardiner
Henry Playfair
Tim Callan
Brent Prismall

Not guns, but have certainly played games at new clubs
The ruckmen are the stand outs, done because of an abundances of riches in that area. You would have to say with Varcoe, Stokes & Byrnes the same applies for Djerrkura

G-Mo77
28-08-2010, 01:16 AM
If Geelong could have afforded Mumford he wouldn't have gone anywhere.

azabob
28-08-2010, 09:30 AM

Davey struggles to get his hands on the ball and doesn't kick enough goals for a stay at home forward.

Go_Dogs
28-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Yeah, not convinced with Alwyn. His brother would be nice though.