PDA

View Full Version : Qualifying Final - WOOF Selection Table

becmatty
28-08-2010, 10:47 PM
Okay, its Finals time!

Lets smash the Pies.

Another interesting week at the selection table.

Here are my selections:

In: Higgins, Minson
Out: Addison, Roughead

Hopefully Griffen comes up, otherwise I think Hooper will find himself in with a chance. Wood, if fit.

Everitt, Jones and Hahn remain the other vulnerable players.

boydogs
28-08-2010, 10:54 PM
Won't Easton Wood be ready? What's the reasoning behind the ruck change?

becmatty
28-08-2010, 10:59 PM

Roughead's shoulder kept popping out tonight. We cannot afford that next week. Minson and Roughy are pretty much on level terms, but with Minno performing well, it would be foolish to risk Roughead.

Agree, if Wood is fit, he will be a strong chance.

comrade
28-08-2010, 11:11 PM
IN: Wood, Minson, Higgins
OUT: Addison, Roughy, Hahn

boydogs
28-08-2010, 11:12 PM
Roughead's shoulder kept popping out tonight. We cannot afford that next week. Minson and Roughy are pretty much on level terms, but with Minno performing well, it would be foolish to risk Roughead.

Agree, if Wood is fit, he will be a strong chance.

Collingwood are the side we first used the part-time ruck experiment against, and successfully. We may need the extra run against their extended midfield rotation, if Roughead is sore then perhaps Wood can come in for him and Everitt can do some ruckwork

comrade
28-08-2010, 11:13 PM
Collingwood are the side we first used the part-time ruck experiment against, and successfully. We may need the extra run against their extended midfield rotation, if Roughead is sore then perhaps Wood can come in for him and Everitt can do some ruckwork

After last week's debacle, I'm not sure the MC would be prepared to pull the trigger on a part time ruck set up again.

lemmon
28-08-2010, 11:14 PM
In- Wood, Minson, Higgins
Out- Roughy, Jones, Hahn

becmatty
28-08-2010, 11:18 PM
In- Wood, Minson, Higgins
Out- Roughy, Jones, Hahn

I thought Hahn was okay tonight. His lack of pace is noticable and that is his biggest vice, but without Morris, I think he is important as an extra option in defense. Adds experience in pressure final also.

comrade
28-08-2010, 11:21 PM
I thought Hahn was okay tonight. His lack of pace is noticable and that is his biggest vice, but without Morris, I think he is important as an extra option in defense.

If we're going to face Collingwood with a depleted squad, I'd much rather a guy like Addison, Wood or Everitt playing defence than seeing Hahn waddle around.

Remember Mitch being ragdolled by Leigh Brown?

lemmon
28-08-2010, 11:27 PM
I thought Hahn was okay tonight. His lack of pace is noticable and that is his biggest vice, but without Morris, I think he is important as an extra option in defense. Adds experience in pressure final also.

That was the key factor for mine, came down to Hahn V Addo and Addisons pace and hopefully ability to play as a defensive forward and apply pressure got him over the line.

boydogs
28-08-2010, 11:28 PM
After last week's debacle, I'm not sure the MC would be prepared to pull the trigger on a part time ruck set up again.

Everitt wasn't playing last week though. Forgetting the MC for a moment, would you do it?

comrade
28-08-2010, 11:39 PM
Everitt wasn't playing last week though. Forgetting the MC for a moment, would you do it?

Yeah, I probably would if Wood is 100%.

ReLoad
28-08-2010, 11:55 PM
Everitt really let himself down tonight, he had the best opportunity all year, with the team, the opponent, the role he was going to play, etc. but failed.

His confidence is clearly shot, the kid just doesnt believe in himself, he has to be out of the team, there is no upside to his game right now.

So
Out: Everitt, Addison, Roughhead(inj)
In: Wood, Higgins, Minson.

Sedat
28-08-2010, 11:58 PM
If we're going to face Collingwood with a depleted squad, I'd much rather a guy like Addison, Wood or Everitt playing defence than seeing Hahn waddle around.

Remember Mitch being ragdolled by Leigh Brown?
Addison did a good defensive forward job on Stanton in the first half, who barely had a touch. I'd like to see him take Harry O or Shaw next week in a similar role.

ReLoad
29-08-2010, 12:04 AM
I hate to be the prophet of doom, anyone noticing the lack of penetration on Gilbee's kicking over the last 4 weeks? yikes! - Injured? unfit? whats the scoop?

azabob
29-08-2010, 12:05 AM

Hahn cannot get to the contest and compete. He is slow by hand and by foot. He will be found out big time next week regardless of his experience.

azabob
29-08-2010, 12:06 AM
I hate to be the prophet of doom, anyone noticing the lack of penetration on Gilbee's kicking over the last 4 weeks? yikes! - Injured? unfit? whats the scoop?

Last four weeks? He hasn't hit a target all year and also struggled last year.

Remi Moses
29-08-2010, 12:11 AM
Unfortunately old father time has caught up with Mitch.
Just of the pace and just doesn't
Have that oomph he had
Addison probably played himself ahead of a Callan.Heard Lindsay Gilbee say Johnno's right for next week! Thought they should have taken a punt on Hooper a couple of weeks back.

LostDoggy
29-08-2010, 01:36 AM
Hahn 100% needs to be dropped. Addison also. He did nothing the whole game. Looked slow, butter fingers, etc.

Rocco Jones
29-08-2010, 01:40 AM
I strongly agree with the dropping of Hahn calls but I think there is no chance of it happening.

Eade and the MC love him and they love who they love and have very little time for guys they see in the too hard basket.

bornadog
29-08-2010, 01:52 AM

I thought Roughead was well and truly beaten tonight. Only 5 tap outs for the game. He is not ready to take on a finals appearance, whereas Minno has been there before and is playing well.

LostDoggy
29-08-2010, 01:53 AM
If the MC don't think Hahn should be dropped if Wood is ok to play, we need a new mc?

Rocco Jones
29-08-2010, 01:58 AM
I thought Roughead was well and truly beaten tonight. Only 5 tap outs for the game. He is not ready to take on a finals appearance, whereas Minno has been there before and is playing well.

Agreed. As much as I would like to play Roughead ahead of Minson, I think we need to go with Will. Roughy's time will come.

bornadog
29-08-2010, 01:59 AM
I doubt Jones will be picked next week. He may run and tackle alot but he was beaten tonight and is still learning the game.

In: Wood, Higgins, Minno

Out; Roughead, Jones, Everitt

Rocco Jones
29-08-2010, 02:00 AM
If the MC don't think Hahn should be dropped if Wood is ok to play, we need a new mc?

I think they will drop Dre if Wood is fit.

LostDoggy
29-08-2010, 02:15 AM
In- , Minson, Higgin/Wood other only comes for an injury
Out- Roughy, Hahn

LostDoggy
29-08-2010, 03:22 AM
I doubt Jones will be picked next week. He may run and tackle alot but he was beaten tonight and is still learning the game.

In: Wood, Higgins, Minno

Out; Roughead, Jones, Everitt

This is what I'd go with. Everitt has had his opportunities this year and hasn't taken them. Perhaps he is never going to be the player we once thought?

LostDoggy
29-08-2010, 03:41 AM
Everitt had a better game then Hahn and Jones

Bulldog Joe
29-08-2010, 05:08 AM
Everitt had a better game then Hahn and Jones

You must have watched in a different universe to me.

Everitt was error riddled - particularly in the first half and struggles to win a contest.

Hahn was solid

Jones did struggle but at least works hard, something Everitt just does not seem to understand.

becmatty
29-08-2010, 06:30 AM
Is Johnno a chance of returning?!?

comrade
29-08-2010, 09:21 AM
Is Johnno a chance of returning?!?

We all love Johnno but if he comes back at 70% fitness, it will put his teammates under severe pressure.

craigsahibee
29-08-2010, 09:39 AM
The last time we played the Pies we almost pinched it in the last quarter by making Maxwell accountable. If we are to have any chance this week we must do the same. Our defensive pressure in our forward 50 has to be better than it has been all year. For this reason I think the MC will stick with Mitch, but play him up forward this week as a defensive forward on Maxwell.

GVGjr
29-08-2010, 10:36 AM
I think Roughead will come up OK so I would only make the change for him and Minson if there is a real doubt about hi. His ability to go forward is what we need.

Higgins to come in and Wood and Johnson under consideration.

Jasper
29-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Assuming Griffen, Johnno, Lake and Williams are fit enough:

Out
Roughead - injured
Everitt - ordinary, makes us top heavy
Moles - not good enough
Jones - needs a break and not quite ready yet

In
Minson (because he is fit, and Roughy is not, they are too close in value to the team to play the injured one)
Johnson (because the team needs his leadership and positivity, he must play deep.)
Wood (adds speed and release Harbrow upfield)
Higgins (class - if he is fit, massive if)

Problem I see with this team is we have way too many partly fit players. Not sure what you do about this,

Think that one of Jones, Hahn or Everitt stays in, mainly because Williams and Lake may need some cover if they break down during the game next week. I would imagine that Hahn will stay in.:rolleyes:. This would mean a smaller type would have to be dropped, Moles is perhaps first in line if this is the case. (Personally, really liked Addison's game, and while he isn't in our best 22, a lockdown forward becomes even more vital if chasing machines, Johnno and Higgins play.)

Go_Dogs
29-08-2010, 10:52 AM
I strongly agree with the dropping of Hahn calls but I think there is no chance of it happening.

Eade and the MC love him and they love who they love and have very little time for guys they see in the too hard basket.

The problem is, with Morris out we really have no other option.

Between Cloke, Dawes and a resting ruck, we'll need Lake, Williams and say Hahn to cover them. I'm not sure what other options we have that inspire any more confidence? It's a worry, but he needs to squeeze out a few good games to finish the year off and give us a chance.

For me:

In: Minson, Higgins

Out: Roughead, Jones

I would have preferred to keep Jones in, but I think we need to play Everitt forward(and back at times) with Grant and Hall this week, so he gets squeezed out. We also need some more run.

I'm happy to give Johnson another week off as Collingwood is the one side who he is most exposed against, if that makes sense.

If we had some more form runners there may be another change I'd make, but we don't.

G-Mo77
29-08-2010, 10:53 AM
I'm going to do the same thing Kelvinator. Assuming everyone is fit from yesterday's squad I think we'll go like this:

In: Higgins, Wood, Minson
Out: Jones, Roughead, Everitt/Hahn

DOG GOD
29-08-2010, 11:49 AM
So we're gunna have Higgins, Wood (back from injury), Lake, Griff, Ward, Williams (and maybe Johnno) all playing under duress. That will be something to look fwd to :(

DOG GOD
29-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Personally i dont care who is in or out, as long as we have 3 players who will tag Maxwell, OBrien and Shaw out of the match. Obrien has been tagged the last 2 games and has given no run whatsoever. If the MC lets him run free i will call for Eade's (and their's) heads.

LostDoggy
29-08-2010, 12:27 PM
OBrien is more a worry then Maxwell is. Need to stop him

Bumper Bulldogs
29-08-2010, 12:28 PM
Going to be a tough one this week, The pies will be pumping as they lost last week also.

I have no doubt we can beat them but we need to be focused and on our best.

For me I don't like Hahn in the back line, thought he got beaten last night and played on guys that have only had a couple on games and light bodies.

As others have stated i thought that Everitt just had poor disposal and poor decision making and that stupid free lick for the Jb to the guts just showed he was not witched on.

For I hope Williams and Griffen are fit and Roughy pulls up well.

Next week I would play Roughy ahead of Will (Only if fit) based on his ability to get around the ground and push forward.

Outs
Everitt - Sorry I like him but he just blew it and i wouldn't be looking at him at all for the rest of the year
Hahn - Didn't show that his experience and body size is more important than youth and enthusiasm, time to give it away also.
Jones - Just think for team balance he makes way.

In's
Higgins - Just need his finish and hoping he is really fit and will apply pressure when we don't have the ball.
Wood - straight in as we need his pace and run and carry from the back line.
Johno - As captain he needs to come in and show what it takes in big games, "Only if fit"

B: Hargrave, Lake, Gilbee
HB: Murphy, Williams, Wood
C: Harbrow, Cross, Picken
HF: Johno, Grant, Gia
F: Higgins, Hall, Addison
R: Hudson, Boyd, Griffen
Int: Roughy, Moles, Eagleton, Ward

For me looking at the Pies you need to pressure the ball carrier so runners will be needed. Fit runner that is. I think that the attached side is still good enough to knock them off next week.

Sockeye Salmon
29-08-2010, 12:48 PM
Going to be a tough one this week, The pies will be pumping as they lost last week also.

I have no doubt we can beat them but we need to be focused and on our best.

For me I don't like Hahn in the back line, thought he got beaten last night and played on guys that have only had a couple on games and light bodies.

As others have stated i thought that Everitt just had poor disposal and poor decision making and that stupid free lick for the Jb to the guts just showed he was not witched on.

For I hope Williams and Griffen are fit and Roughy pulls up well.

Next week I would play Roughy ahead of Will (Only if fit) based on his ability to get around the ground and push forward.

Outs
Everitt - Sorry I like him but he just blew it and i wouldn't be looking at him at all for the rest of the year
Hahn - Didn't show that his experience and body size is more important than youth and enthusiasm, time to give it away also.
Jones - Just think for team balance he makes way.

In's
Higgins - Just need his finish and hoping he is really fit and will apply pressure when we don't have the ball.
Wood - straight in as we need his pace and run and carry from the back line.
Johno - As captain he needs to come in and show what it takes in big games, "Only if fit"

B: Hargrave, Lake, Gilbee
HB: Murphy, Williams, Wood
C: Harbrow, Cross, Picken
HF: Johno, Grant, Gia
F: Higgins, Hall, Addison
R: Hudson, Boyd, Griffen
Int: Roughy, Moles, Eagleton, Ward

For me looking at the Pies you need to pressure the ball carrier so runners will be needed. Fit runner that is. I think that the attached side is still good enough to knock them off next week.

So who plays on Brown?

mjp
29-08-2010, 12:53 PM

Not against Jolley.

Before I Die
29-08-2010, 01:08 PM

That was last season when their number one ruckman was Fraser. This season Fraser can't get a game because they have Jolly with L. brown as back-up. One of Roughead or Minson must play.

mjp
29-08-2010, 01:17 PM
So who plays on Brown?

Out of the team listed, Wood would have to do that job.

If they want to go big up forward in a final I say we let them. Without the run of Cooney through the middle we need to generate things from further back - need to take a couple of chances in selection and get some real run into the side.

Backs: Eagleton - Lake - Wood - Harbrow

- Lake designated loose man. Collingwood are a bit predictable going forward and if they push an extra tall deep forward to match up on us that suits. Stick Eagleton on someone with instructions to break to the opposite side of the ground even in 50-50 situations. Collingwood are defensively oriented - I BET they start locking him down if he gets some early possession.

Half-Backs: Wood - Williams - Murphy - Gilbee

- Murphy designated loose. Collingwood will HAVE to match him up...either Gilbee or Murphy will end up without an opponent or Collingwood end up with an 8 man forward line. Good. Crowd the hell out of it.

Wings: Cross - Ward

- Contested ball winners. Defensive release point must be wide on the MCG. Rotate Moles through these spots.

Ruck: Hudson - Roughead.

- Hudson takes Jolley at ALL times.

Mids: Boyd - Griffen - Picken

- Picken takes Pendlebury. Boyd takes Swan. Key match-ups of the game.

Forwards: Higgins - Hall - Grant - Jones

- Hall plays on Maxwell. Presti will try and take him - awesome - he beats Hall every time anyway so let's use this to our advantage and shut Maxwell down.
- Higgins plays on O'Brien - we kick it to him EVERY time.
- Grant plays on Shaw.
- Jones stays deep and does NOT MOVE.

I am not interested in allowing Collingwood to dictate terms in any way. We have a double chance - if ever there was a chance to try some things out and mix it up, it is right now. I want them to react, I want their coaches making moves that they haven't had to make all year, I want their players out of position and wondering what happens next...break their habits up and roll the dice.

LostDoggy
29-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Hahn got some easy kicks filling in the hole in the backline last night. What he didn't do was win the contested ball. He falls over, runs past the ball and fumbles.....and against Collingwood you have to win the contest and stop the ball getting out. Players who are slow or who easily give up the contest shouldn't be played. Addison makes a better contest and should get a go before Hahn.

If Hahn is to get a game, then I would play him as a dummy forward only.

I would play Everett in the backline and tell him to run straight at the ball. In fact, we could tell a few of our players to run straight at the ball. We have a few who are running around the ball. Or all jumping into a contest instead of having players manning up outside the pack, defensive side of packs etc. This comes down to getting enough players to do the hard yards of getting over to assist their mates, each with a role to do at a contest. Lake seems to think fullback is about deft touches of the ball and then going to ground.

We need more full blooded attack on the footy, more players standing up in a contest, more talk and more players running to assist. Won't matter who we pick if we don't get these right.

bornadog
29-08-2010, 01:47 PM

If they want to go big up forward in a final I say we let them. Without the run of Cooney through the middle we need to generate things from further back - need to take a couple of chances in selection and get some real run into the side.

- Lake designated loose man. Collingwood are a bit predictable going forward and if they push an extra tall deep forward to match up on us that suits. Stick Eagleton on someone with instructions to break to the opposite side of the ground even in 50-50 situations. Collingwood are defensively oriented - I BET they start locking him down if he gets some early possession.

- Murphy designated loose. Collingwood will HAVE to match him up...either Gilbee or Murphy will end up without an opponent or Collingwood end up with an 8 man forward line. Good. Crowd the hell out of it.

- Contested ball winners. Defensive release point must be wide on the MCG. Rotate Moles through these spots.

- Hall plays on Maxwell. Presti will try and take him - awesome - he beats Hall every time anyway so let's use this to our advantage and shut Maxwell down.
- Grant plays on Shaw.

I am not interested in allowing Collingwood to dictate terms in any way. We have a double chance - if ever there was a chance to try some things out and mix it up, it is right now. I want them to react, I want their coaches making moves that they haven't had to make all year, I want their players out of position and wondering what happens next...break their habits up and roll the dice.

Interesting ideas here. My only worry would be Higgins on O'Brien and whether he could go with him. What about Jones on O'Brien?

EasternWest
29-08-2010, 02:09 PM

- Grant plays on Shaw.

Great post, love it.

Interesting Eagleton point. Risky ploy, but if it paid off it would be almost a masterstroke.

I agree with BAD that the Higgins/O'Brien thing worries me.

What I want to know is why, after all the times that Maxwell, O'Brien and Shaw have flayed us do we never seem to come in with a plan to lock any of them down (O'Brien and Shaw particularly)?

The Bulldogs Bite
29-08-2010, 02:33 PM

Any chance of forwarding your post to Rocket?

Great write up mjp.

azabob
29-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Any chance of forwarding your post to Rocket?

Great write up mjp.

Was thinking the same thing. TCD or SS can send it on. Brilliant thinking outside the norm. mjp would you / have you been that bold before?

Sedat
29-08-2010, 03:29 PM
OBrien is more a worry then Maxwell is. Need to stop him
I'd go a step further and hope Maxwell gets it 20+ times because all he does is boot it indiscriminantly down the field for someone else to worry about. Harry O and Shaw are the two we need to close down out of Collingwood's defensive 50.

No mention of Hooper as a possible in this week. I like the idea of a forward structure comprosing Hall and Grant as the targets, Gia and Higgins spending time in there floating forward, and Addision and Hooper providing the requisite defensive pressure. With a midfield comprising Griffen (hopefully), Boyd, Cross, Ward, with support from Gia and Harbrow, and with Hudson hopefully doing another job on Jolly, we can hopefully negate Collingwood's clearance threat and subsequent ability to spread from the congestion.

If Hahn has to play this week (and I fully expect that he will), have him down back where he can at least run at the ball. He wasn't absolutely terrible in the role last night. The idea of Hahn up forward getting torched by his direct opponent is one simply not worth contemplating IMO.

I get the feeling that Dre will be sacrificed next week. He wasn't intense enough at the contest last night, and whilst he improved as the game wore on, his lack of intensity has already been noted as a major issue for the MC (as it is with Hill). If Williams is not fit then Dre stays. Just on Williams, he has been a real quiet achiever this season and has become a very capable key defender who makes less errors than most. Some of his work last night was very deft and composed.

Rocco Jones
29-08-2010, 03:33 PM
I'd go a step further and hope Maxwell gets it 20+ times because all he does is boot it indiscriminantly down the field for someone else to worry about. Harry O and Shaw are the two we need to close down out of Collingwood's defensive 50.

No mention of Hooper as a possible in this week. I like the idea of a forward structure comprosing Hall and Grant as the targets, Gia and Higgins spending time in there floating forward, and Addision and Hooper providing the requisite defensive pressure.

I like your thinking.

If you're going to be a limited forward in the modern game, you need to be a limited forward with good defensive pressure. We don't have decent forward depth and I would love us to fill out the numbers with players who can at least offer defensive pressure, especially against Collingwood.

Jasper
29-08-2010, 04:31 PM

- Grant plays on Shaw.

Don't agree with a lot of this post.
Forwards

The tall forward line specified above will be chopped up on the rebound, its poor at ground level (Grant excepted) What Eade did against Essendon was utilise Eagle, Addison (hard tag), Griffen and Harbrow forward. I actually agree with this, Eagle will require attention as his finishing in space is damaging, Harbrow will worry the Pies and require attention. Jones simply doesn't look ready and should make way for Higgins. Addison to hard tag Harry O. Harbrow or Eagle to play on Shaw. Grant on Maxwell.

Backs

Don't agree with Eagle back, his panicking under pressure will cost goals, can you imagine him with Leon Davis on his tail?? Lake to simply play a stopping role, his injury is hampering him and worse playing on his mind. Forget the Lake of earlier this year, this Lake is good enough to stop his man, but I wouldn't be expecting much else. A six or seven man backline is sufficient otherwise we will have spare Pies upfield and will simply turn it over going forward. Lake to take Dawes, Williams on Cloke. Wood on Davis.

Mids

If Didak plays would expect Picken to go to him, if not then Pendlebury. Would think Boyd will play on Swan or Pendlebury. Wouldn't underestimate Wellingham, he needs to be watched. Thomas will also need to be watched

Rucks

Don't think Huddo has the tank to go with Jolly all game. Minson and Huddo to tag team him and try and go forward to prevent Jolly doing same.

Jasper
29-08-2010, 05:22 PM
If Hahn has to play this week (and I fully expect that he will), have him down back where he can at least run at the ball. He wasn't absolutely terrible in the role last night. The idea of Hahn up forward getting torched by his direct opponent is one simply not worth contemplating IMO.

Agree but if Williams takes Cloke and Lake Dawes, does Mitch play on Brown?? Or do we have a small torch him?? At the game Mitch was often caught in match ups with smalls due to our top heaviness, the panic on his face while trying to get a team mate to cover him was frightening (I was only a couple of rows back).

Out of Jones, Everitt and Hahn probably think Hahn and Everitt were about even, but Everitt's mobility kills Hahn. Hahn's smarts were a lot better than Everitt.

Bumper Bulldogs
29-08-2010, 06:16 PM
So who plays on Brown?

For me Williams on Cloke.

Lake to float between Daws and Brown depending whos closest to Goal and I would use Wood on the other just to run off them, they would be blown up by 1/4 time and Wood should have the game of his life.

If they drop Jolly down back I would go with Hargrave as I think the rebound would kill them.

I would use Addison as a lock down role on O'Brian as that worked well this week stopping his drive.

Also liked the idea from MJP of Hall to Maxwell as Hall always has 2 or 3 on him anyway we should use that to our advantage.

mjp
29-08-2010, 06:42 PM
Don't agree with a lot of this post.

That's fair enough and I think what you have suggested is much closer to what WILL happen.

I also think we will lose by 8-12 goals doing things this way. Collingwood are ready for it and have everyone in and playing well. A last gasp loss to a desperate Hawthorn team in a game they dominated is a lot better form than we are bringing in. I just think we need to seriously mix things up this week.

My only real criticism of your ideas would be in the midfield - you list Didak, Pendlebury, Swan and Wellingham as needing to be watched. You cannot tag them all...pick your poison (one or two) and head-to-head the rest.

LostDoggy
29-08-2010, 06:50 PM
You stop Luke Ball getting his hands on the pill, it will go a long way to helping us win the game.

LostDoggy
29-08-2010, 07:36 PM
When we chucked Lake forward against the Magpies last time there defence turned to water.. It made them play 1 on 1 football which there backline doesn't like doing.. It's a shame Morris is out, because i don't think we can afford to try this without him..

Jasper
29-08-2010, 08:05 PM
That's fair enough and I think what you have suggested is much closer to what WILL happen.

I also think we will lose by 8-12 goals doing things this way. Collingwood are ready for it and have everyone in and playing well. A last gasp loss to a desperate Hawthorn team in a game they dominated is a lot better form than we are bringing in. I just think we need to seriously mix things up this week.

My only real criticism of your ideas would be in the midfield - you list Didak, Pendlebury, Swan and Wellingham as needing to be watched. You cannot tag them all...pick your poison (one or two) and head-to-head the rest.

We could really surprise the Pies and pick our seconds team...but question is would it work...I tend to think a loss by +10 goals beckons, but who knows??

To be fair what you have suggested may be appropriate if they look like getting a run on, but personnel wise, I don't think we can carry so many talls, the balance needs to change.

Agree on the mids, if Boyd to Pendles, Picken to Didak, and Swan is free as a bird...just reckon the other two will hurt us more if given time and space.

becmatty
29-08-2010, 08:16 PM

Yeah, its a tricky one with Hahn. He wil be selected, so which position/opponent is the dilemma??

Without Morris, he offers potential cover, which he did servicably agains the Bombers. This task will be harder this week in finals conditions AND against the Magpie forward line. His lack of pace may kill us, as Mitch reacting to his opponent's leads are slow and clumbsy.

He will either need to be instructed to back his instincts and anticipate more, rather than react OR move to the half forward line, where he can be the playmaker more and play the bulldozer-like role that he has been so successful with throughout his career. Whether he can sustain this any longer is the big question mark however.

...I am worried.

LostDoggy
29-08-2010, 09:02 PM
When we chucked Lake forward against the Magpies last time there defence turned to water.. It made them play 1 on 1 football which there backline doesn't like doing.. It's a shame Morris is out, because i don't think we can afford to try this without him..

Hawthorn showed yesterday, long and quick into the big targets & the Pies defenders struggle.

You give them time to zone off, they will kill you all day.

mjp
29-08-2010, 09:19 PM
We could really surprise the Pies and pick our seconds team...

Our seconds team?

Now you have lost me. Who out of our 'seconds' team have I suggested we include? I can only guess that Jones is the one? I just think he will be selected and speculating on a 22 without him in it is a waste of energy.

Jasper
29-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Our seconds team?

Now you have lost me. Who out of our 'seconds' team have I suggested we include? I can only guess that Jones is the one? I just think he will be selected and speculating on a 22 without him in it is a waste of energy.

You've taken me literally. Fair enough. You did say you thought we should mix things up a bit, my poorly made yet facetious point was that 'mixing things up' isn't a good enough reason in itself, 'to mix things up', hence the point about just picking the seconds.

Anyway I doubt we'll see what you proposed, and I think we are all resigned to seeing Mitch and Eagle play finals footy...:(. Maybe we can hope Swan and Pendles have a head clash in the first quarter and knock each other out...?

Raw Toast
29-08-2010, 10:46 PM

- Grant plays on Shaw.

Love your ideas MJP, and agree that we have to shift things around and get Collingwood reacting to us. I think this is an interesting test for Eade. In the past he has shown the ability to get in Malthouse's head and have Mick doing things he's uncomfortable with. I hope Eade still trusts himself to do this and makes life as difficult as possible for Malthouse - and these ideas seem a good start.

I think we need some specific defensive plans to combat Didak. I wouldn't mind Hargrave being given this job.

I also think we need something to combat what seems at the moment like Collingwood's significant fitness advantage. I wouldn't mind going with just one ruck. I know if failed spectacularly against the Swans, but surely we can improve on that.

And I also think Everitt should be in instead of Hahn. Yes, he stuffed up a few times, but he improved and was really useful at times as a link player in a way that Hahn can't be. He can also add another dimension if we do go in with just Hudson (I know this debate has been raging, but I think we need to do everything possible in terms of increasing our run).

Just on Williams, he has been a real quiet achiever this season and has become a very capable key defender who makes less errors than most. Some of his work last night was very deft and composed.

Agree with this. Hope he has some good touches early because he can still be a confidence player, but Williams has been really impressive over the second half of the season and might be a surprise packet come the finals. His knee is a big worry though.

bornadog
29-08-2010, 11:26 PM
I wouldn't mind going with just one ruck. I know if failed spectacularly against the Swans, but surely we can improve on that.

Don't be suprised if this happens and if it does Everitt may save himself.

becmatty
30-08-2010, 08:38 AM
No mention of Hooper as a possible in this week. I like the idea of a forward structure comprosing Hall and Grant as the targets, Gia and Higgins spending time in there floating forward, and Addision and Hooper providing the requisite defensive pressure.

I suggested Hooper as a possible in, in the opening post.

He had been knocking on the door several weeks ago and has rocketed back into calculations after a big game at Willy this week.

Several posters have been in favour of 'mixing things up a little' and being a bit unpredictable. I think thrusting a new player straight into a final for his first game would be a risk, but one worth taking. Hooper would be jumping out of his skin to get a shot, and I would back him to do well...

Sedat
30-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Agree but if Williams takes Cloke and Lake Dawes, does Mitch play on Brown?? Or do we have a small torch him?? At the game Mitch was often caught in match ups with smalls due to our top heaviness, the panic on his face while trying to get a team mate to cover him was frightening (I was only a couple of rows back).

Out of Jones, Everitt and Hahn probably think Hahn and Everitt were about even, but Everitt's mobility kills Hahn. Hahn's smarts were a lot better than Everitt.
Whilst I said that I fully expected Mitch to be playing this week, I can assure you my preference would be otherwise. Shame that Dre put in a poor performance on the weekend from an intensity perspective because (rightly or wrongly) it places him right in the gun with the MC.

Agree with everything you've said about Hahn's lack of mobility and pace being a potential problem down back. But it would be an even bigger problem up forward.

Sedat
30-08-2010, 09:51 AM
I suggested Hooper as a possible in, in the opening post.
Apologies, that you did. His skills set (pace and defensive pressure) is in painfully short supply in our team (especially in our forward 50) so I don't think it is that much of a risk to be honest. Wood also adds fierce attack on the ball and great run from defensive 50, so the inclusion of both these players would give us a much-needed boost in leg speed.

becmatty
30-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Apologies, that you did. His skills set (pace and defensive pressure) is in painfully short supply in our team (especially in our forward 50) so I don't think it is that much of a risk to be honest. Wood also adds fierce attack on the ball and great run from defensive 50, so the inclusion of both these players would give us a much-needed boost in leg speed.

I'd like to see that (Wood and Hooper in), but with Higgins and possibly Johnno returning, it would be too many changes for a side striving for stability.

What do you think Sedat?

Sedat
30-08-2010, 10:07 AM
I'd like to see that (Wood and Hooper in), but with Higgins and possibly Johnno returning, it would be too many changes for a side striving for stability.

What do you think Sedat?
If it was up to me, I'd bring in Wood, Hooper and Higgins (only if close to 100% fit) for Hahn, Roughead and Jones. Dre would stay and he and Williams (assuming he gets up) would share the 2nd ruck duties (alternating down back). Hudson had a break a couple of weeks ago and should be OK to ruck 80% of the match. I understand the rationale behind putting Hahn down back to effectively replace Morris but I think we should back in Hargy to lock down on his direct opponent (thankfully it appears unlikely to be Medhurst this time around). Gilbee to also have a negating role down back and use Harbrow and Wood to provide the run out of defensive 50.

If Griffen doesn't come up, then we'll have to put Harbrow into the middle which might win Hahn a reprieve. There is nobody at Willy who can come in and replace what Griff brings to the table.

Desipura
30-08-2010, 10:13 AM
In: Higgins, Wood & Minson
Out: Addison, Everitt & Roughead

becmatty
30-08-2010, 10:32 AM
If it was up to me, I'd bring in Wood, Hooper and Higgins (only if close to 100% fit) for Hahn, Roughead and Jones. Dre would stay and he and Williams (assuming he gets up) would share the 2nd ruck duties (alternating down back). Hudson had a break a couple of weeks ago and should be OK to ruck 80% of the match. I understand the rationale behind putting Hahn down back to effectively replace Morris but I think we should back in Hargy to lock down on his direct opponent (thankfully it appears unlikely to be Medhurst this time around). Gilbee to also have a negating role down back and use Harbrow and Wood to provide the run out of defensive 50.

If Griffen doesn't come up, then we'll have to put Harbrow into the middle which might win Hahn a reprieve. There is nobody at Willy who can come in and replace what Griff brings to the table.

Three smalls in for three talls? Would certainly add pace, but perhaps leave us a little exposed...I think we need at least one of Minno/Roughy/Hahn to play.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Although Hooper would be a nice inclusion needs wise, I can't see him making a debut in finals. If he was going to play at all this year, surely it would of been v Essendon last week? It's a bit of a shame we didn't give him a chance to earn a spot, considering we've got a few injuries and are out of form. I would have liked us to try and explore every available option. It'd be too big of a risk to bring a kid in for his first game on a massive stage.

Stranger things have happened though.

Curly5
30-08-2010, 10:38 AM

Interesting take on the work of the coaches and MC. Ever considered they might know stuff that we don't know? Who's in the too hard basket? Finals are no time to experiment.

Last four weeks? He hasn't hit a target all year and also struggled last year.

True! When he was a skinny runner he had sublime kicking skills that earned him the reputation of "best kick in the league". Then he went and put on heaps of muscle over a preseason and lost that edge. I commented at the time that he looked fat, and lo and behold, the kicking began to drop off.

This seems the most likely. It would be foolish to play someone whose shoulder pops out a couple of times a quarter. I hope Johnno does not play this week, save him for the GF. ;) But if he does, Jones would be likely to go.

becmatty
30-08-2010, 10:45 AM
Although Hooper would be a nice inclusion needs wise, I can't see him making a debut in finals. If he was going to play at all this year, surely it would of been v Essendon last week? It's a bit of a shame we didn't give him a chance to earn a spot, considering we've got a few injuries and are out of form. I would have liked us to try and explore every available option. It'd be too big of a risk to bring a kid in for his first game on a massive stage.

Stranger things have happened though.

Indeed.

You may have heard of a chap named Dermott Brereton who debuted in the 1982 Finals Series.

His impact: 5 Goals and BOG!

C'mon Hooper!...

The Bulldogs Bite
30-08-2010, 10:47 AM
I'd play Addison before Jones.

He's not a polished performer but Addison will apply pressure in close which is what we need. He can fill a role in the back half, perhaps take a turn in the middle in a tagging role and then play as a defensive forward. He gives us a few options if things aren't working right, if players need resting etc.

Jones can only play the one position and although I love his effort/defensive work, we'll need a bigger contribution than that. I think Addison (Possibly Harbrow too) playing up forward could improve us.

* I doubt Hahn will be dropped, in which case Everitt is likely to be cut. Disappointing if it eventuates, although Andrejs didn't help his chances with last week's game. Still - guys like him need continuity and confidence, he's a better defender and forward than Hahn.

IN: Higgins, Wood, Minson
OUT: Jones, Hahn*, Roughead

LostDoggy
30-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Has anyone else had a look at the weather this weekend?

It looks like it's going to rain, rain and rain somemore.. All weeekend.

Does this change peoples selections?

Mantis
30-08-2010, 10:56 AM

He's not a polished performer but Addison will apply pressure in close which is what we need. He can fill a role in the back half, perhaps take a turn in the middle in a tagging role and then play as a defensive forward. He gives us a few options if things aren't working right, if players need resting etc.

Does Addison fit into the 'Tim Callan rule' category?

While Dylan would run through a brick wall for the team at some point/s he will meed to be able to make clear and concise decisions...... I'm not sure he can.

In last years prelim Tim Callan for all his hardness made 2 or 3 critical errors which in a close final was fatal, at that point my newly formed rule was that you can't afford to carry players who you know will let you down.... Dylan is a similiar player.

I guess we will be carrying other players with flaws so it probably wont matter.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-08-2010, 11:02 AM

While Dylan would run through a brick wall for the team at some point/s he will meed to be able to make clear and concise decisions...... I'm not sure he can.

In last years prelim Tim Callan for all his hardness made 2 or 3 critical errors which in a close final was fatal, at that point my newly formed rule was that you can't afford to carry players who you know will let you down.... Dylan is a similiar player.

I guess we will be carrying other players with flaws so it probably wont matter.

They're pretty similar and you're right.

It's a more a case of not having much else. Jones unfortunately isn't ready yet so I feel we'd be better off going with a player like Addison. We know what we'll get from him, but perhaps assigning him to a defensive forward role is something he could do. He did in OK in this role against West Coast last year I believe? Thought he handled Stanton well on the weekend too.

I'd love to see us be bold and back a player like Hooper in, but it looks very unlikely.

always right
30-08-2010, 11:15 AM

Jones can only play the one position and although I love his effort/defensive work, we'll need a bigger contribution than that. I think Addison (Possibly Harbrow too) playing up forward could improve us.

As much as I admire Addison I think he might spend the entire match chasing magpie defender's backsides...without any chance of catching them. Jones can provide the defensive pressure and being a key position size is going to trouble the Collingwood defence more. Without him I worry that Maxwell will be able to float in front of Barry too often. I also love the idea of giving Jones finals experience at such a young age....can only benefit his development.

As for Hooper coming in, he certainly looks promising but I don't believe he adds foot speed to our team but might be handy if it's wet.

Nuggety Back Pocket
30-08-2010, 11:16 AM

The Dogs are barking Higgins to come in which would purely be on reputation than form. Wood is the obvious replacement for Addison if fit whilst Minson's bulk should see him returned for Roughhead whose shoulder injury is a big risk going into a tough final. The move of Harbrow to the midfield was a good move against Essendon to cover the loss of Cooney and he should be played again in this role, in particular given the doubt on Griffen. I would like to see Everitt retained for Higgins as he gives you more flexibility. I would question Johnson coming back as Collingwood have exploited his lack of pace in recent games between the two clubs.

Sedat
30-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Three smalls in for three talls? Would certainly add pace, but perhaps leave us a little exposed...I think we need at least one of Minno/Roughy/Hahn to play.
Hahn is not a tall, even though he has the mobility of a ruckman. We would still have Dre and Williams alternating down back to help out Lake and Hargy. Dre could pinch hit in the ruck with Leroy takes his occasional turn in there and Jolly and Hudson would go head to head the whole game. Having Gia spend most of his time running through the middle will also add some good decision-making and poise in that part of the ground. We also still have Grant and Hall as the taller targets up forward. Such a set-up is horses for courses again Collingwood and I would not suggest we structure up that way against other opponents. It would certainly give Collingwood food for thought with regard to their defensive set-up.

Finals are clostrophobic when it comes to space for the ball carrier. More than any other top 4 team, Collingwood rely on time and space for their skunks to run ahead of the congestion and hurt on the scoreboard. Even the Dogs can scrap when we need to but the Pies hate those sorts of games.

Some rain would be nice as well - we've had a couple of chances this season to play in awful conditions and it limits the negative effect of our lack of leg speed. Also makes Colloingwood potentially top-heavy on the night with Dawes/Cloke/L Brown up forward, and Presti/N Brown/Reid down back.

Mantis' point about Callan/Addison being courageous hard nuts with no great skill potentially letting us down at critical moments is valid, but I'd rather have players 100% committed to every physical contest in finals as opposed to those players who lack the necessary physical intensity to cut it in September. Everitt was fantastic in the rain against Adelaide and proved that he can play with the necessary intensity. I would put a line through Josh Hill for this very reason - his half-hearted efforts against Geelong in last year's QF cost us more than the occasional turnover by Callan.

Ozza
30-08-2010, 11:46 AM

I think these sound pretty likely.

However, I would prefer Hahn to be dropped than Everitt...and I thought Addison went ok on Saturday. Addison may be one to fill the small defensive forward role - he has ok defensive skills, its just a shame he isn't a lot quicker than he is.

SlimPickens
30-08-2010, 11:48 AM
The Dogs are barking Higgins to come in which would purely be on reputation than form. Wood is the obvious replacement for Addison if fit whilst Minson's bulk should see him returned for Roughhead whose shoulder injury is a big risk going into a tough final. The move of Harbrow to the midfield was a good move against Essendon to cover the loss of Cooney and he should be played again in this role, in particular given the doubt on Griffen. I would like to see Everitt retained for Higgins as he gives you more flexibility. I would question Johnson coming back as Collingwood have exploited his lack of pace in recent games between the two clubs.

Eaxactly right Heath Shaw has had a filed day on Johnson the last few time we have played the pies.

I like the idea of a defensive forward to play on the likes of Shaw and Harry O. Grants game on saturday night, will help us in the fact that collingwood will have to put a good player on him. Where as before i don't think he would have worried to much.

For me, i would play Gia on Shaw to shut him down, whilst providing an option. I also like the idea of Hall going to Maxwell and starting Grant or Jones out of the goal square.

Changes for me:

Ins: Wood, Minson
Out: Roughy, Hahn.

Sedat
30-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Grants game on saturday night, will help us in the fact that collingwood will have to put a good player on him. Where as before i don't think he would have worried to much.
Maxwell will be the likely match-up on Grant and he will have his hands full to say the least. Not just because of Grant's great pace off the mark but because he brings his teammates into the play with his great decision-making and selfless acts. Guys like Gia and Higgins will be a great beneficialry of this next week.

Normally Maxwell has had Hahn for company in recent matches which is a great match-up for him as he is even slower and less skilled than Maxwell, allowing him to play 3rd man up. He simply won't have that luxury against Grant. The Pies have had Aker, Johnno and Hahn for recent company up forward in matches this season - no wonder their running defenders have had a field day against us.

SlimPickens
30-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Maxwell will be the likely match-up on Grant and he will have his hands full to say the least. Not just because of Grant's great pace off the mark but because he brings his teammates into the play with his great decision-making and selfless acts. Guys like Gia and Higgins will be a great beneficialry of this next week.

Normally Maxwell has had Hahn for company in recent matches which is a great match-up for him as he is even slower and less skilled than Maxwell, allowing him to play 3rd man up. He simply won't have that luxury against Grant. The Pies have had Aker, Johnno and Hahn for recent company up forward in matches this season - no wonder their running defenders have had a field day against us.

Well said Sedat, need to make their running backs accountable. Collingwood have a heap of front runners stop them, stop the pies.

LostDoggy
30-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Because its wet...
IN: Higgins/Wood(depends who is fitter), Minson
OUT: Jones, Roughead

Otherwise I would pick Moles instead of Jones. The wet probably saves Mitch. need the hard bodies. Actually happy with the rain, its a good leveller.

Hotdog60
30-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Roughead reported as 1-2 weeks.

Jasper
30-08-2010, 09:34 PM
What'a with the drop Addison calls? I thought he had a pretty reasonable game against Essendon. He played on Stanton most of the game and seemed to do okay (checked his stats Stanton was down about 10% on disposals and efficiency season averages). He also provided a reasonable option in the air, in that he wasn't outmarked. He also brought some contested ground work to the forward line. If Higgins and Johnno come back in, I would suggest Addison is even more essential. And if the weather is wet his lack of pace becomes a lesser issue. Also his defensive work can release Gia to the midfield which may be required given Griffen's situation.

Importantly as said earlier, Addison is hard as a cats head and will bust his guts for the club, and is probably a better option in a wet final than any of Hahn, Jones, Everitt (too tall, not good enough at ground level), or Hill or Stack (no good at contested ground footy).

becmatty
31-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Yep, 60% chance of rain for Sat night according to forecast.

But this won't and shouln't come into calculations with the MC trying to second guess the weather three days before the event.

What IS looking greater than a 60% chance is that Presti will be missing. Bazza will be rubbing his hands together.

Go_Dogs
31-08-2010, 09:12 AM

I'd say he makes more right decisions than Callan. I'm pretty keen to see Addison play on Saturday night.

Mofra
31-08-2010, 10:05 AM
I'd say he makes more right decisions than Callan. I'm pretty keen to see Addison play on Saturday night.
Addison keeps his feet, Callan I'm a fan of but goes to ground more than anyone on the list. Two very hard players who would run into a Mack Truck for the club - I've been critical of DFA's overhead abilities but he seems to have improved in his time at VFL level this year.
In a grinding-type match, DFA could prove quite useful. Under the intensity of finals, I expect both sides to be higher on the turnover stats.

Mantis
31-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Yep, 60% chance of rain for Sat night according to forecast.

But this won't and shouln't come into calculations with the MC trying to second guess the weather three days before the event.

What IS looking greater than a 60% chance is that Presti will be missing. Bazza will be rubbing his hands together.

Bazza is probably the worst wet weather footballer in the AFL.

Not sure how excited he will be at the prospect of playing in wet conditions with or without Presti as his minder.

becmatty
31-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Johnno and Griff rated as 50/50 chances. I hope they get up.

azabob
31-08-2010, 09:24 PM
Johnno and Griff rated as 50/50 chances. I hope they get up.

Yes on Griffen, pass on Johnson.

LostDoggy
31-08-2010, 10:11 PM
I'd play Hooper as a wild card. I would be looking at getting players ready for the following week. Really stupid to play players who are not fully fit against a fit Collingwood, so for me, no Griffen or Johnson.

becmatty
31-08-2010, 11:52 PM
I'd play Hooper as a wild card. I would be looking at getting players ready for the following week. Really stupid to play players who are not fully fit against a fit Collingwood, so for me, no Griffen or Johnson.

It would be great to see him get a game and surprise the Pies with a big performance.

I remember round 1 1989 the Great John Georgiades snuck under the radar at Princess Park and snagged 8 goals against Carlton on debut. I also mentioned in an earlier post that Brereton's first match was a Final where he booted 5 and was BOG.

I recall Adrian McAdam doing similar for North Melbourne in the 1990's and Scott Cummings snagged 8 in his first match in 1994. Also read that John Coleman kicked 12 on debut in 1949 and my grandfather tells stories of another Bulldog - Billy Wood - kicking nine goals in his first game during the war. Of course, the most famous debut of the modern era was my first game at Melton Juniors in 1989 where I kicked a lazy 11 straight. Do you think the Under 13's Deer Park coaching staff had been expecting that? No.

Hooper is no Dermie, but then again, neither was I or Johnny Georgiades!...

The Adelaide Connection
01-09-2010, 12:32 AM
I loved the way that Adelaide took Harry O out of the game with a heavy tag (from a first gamer too I think) and I think this is something that we need to look at as he has absolutely killed us in the last two games with his rebound and by picking off kicks into our forward line.

I am not sure if this has been suggested, but what about Everitt? He has the run and whilst he does give away 3kg or so he does have 6cm on Harry. I think he is a much better option than Higgins, who will probably not have the tank at the moment to go with him.

Desipura
01-09-2010, 09:49 AM
It would be great to see him get a game and surprise the Pies with a big performance.

I remember round 1 1989 the Great John Georgiades snuck under the radar at Princess Park and snagged 8 goals against Carlton on debut. I also mentioned in an earlier post that Brereton's first match was a Final where he booted 5 and was BOG.

I recall Adrian McAdam doing similar for North Melbourne in the 1990's and Scott Cummings snagged 8 in his first match in 1994. Also read that John Coleman kicked 12 on debut in 1949 and my grandfather tells stories of another Bulldog - Billy Wood - kicking nine goals in his first game during the war. Of course, the most famous debut of the modern era was my first game at Melton Juniors in 1989 where I kicked a lazy 11 straight. Do you think the Under 13's Deer Park coaching staff had been expecting that? No.

Hooper is no Dermie, but then again, neither was I or Johnny Georgiades!...
To pinch a McEnroeism " you cant be serious". Firstly you are comparing football from a whole different era where there was not as much information on opposition players and tactics was to kick it long to your forward line.
No offence, if you want to brag about how good you were, perhaps you can save it for your Grandchildren.

EasternWest
01-09-2010, 04:16 PM

Me too!:D:D:D

MrMahatma
01-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Yes on Griffen, pass on Johnson.
I agree. He's not going to be 100% so we shouldn't play him.

With Grant & Hall down there we have 2 genuine lead up forwards that the Pies are going to have to worry about. And maybe Lake if the going gets tough.

We need guys who will chase and tackle hard - the faster the better given Gia/Higgins aren't lightning either. Johnno doesn't really tick any of the boxes IMO.

becmatty
02-09-2010, 03:56 AM
As a big Johnno fan, it is not nice to hear that, but sadly, he seems to be able to start matches very well, but deteriorates as it progresses.

If he gets through training and doesn't pull up too sore, he will probably be selected, but I agree, this may not be an accurate measure for being match-ready - and importantly - sustainable for the entire game.

Let's hope he gets his body right, as we need him for week 2/3 if we are to progress IMO...

SlimPickens
02-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Anyone read Akers article this morning... thought it was the first time he has made some sense all year.

I liked his point that the doggies need to play a one on one game against the pies and push really hard through the corridor. He also mentioned that he thought we need to pick Hooper because we don't have a crumbing forward (him most likely) who is capable of playing a defensive role.

Mantis
02-09-2010, 10:17 AM
Anyone read Akers article this morning... thought it was the first time he has made some sense all year.

I liked his point that the doggies need to play a one on one game against the pies and push really hard through the corridor. He also mentioned that he thought we need to pick Hooper because we don't have a crumbing forward (him most likely) who is capable of playing a defensive role.

He wanted Hooper to play a defensive role on Heath Shaw.

Gia played a defensive role on Heath Shaw back in rd 11 and did a very good job, why wouldn't we just get Gia to do the job again?

Desipura
02-09-2010, 10:19 AM
He wanted Hooper to play a defensive role on Heath Shaw.

Gia played a defensive role on Heath Shaw back in rd 11 and did a very good job, why wouldn't we just get Gia to do the job again?
It would allow to be more of an opportunist forward. We all know the more kicks he gets, the more likely it result in either a scoring assist or a goal.

SlimPickens
02-09-2010, 10:21 AM
Agree, i think he was more pointing out the fact that we are missing a crumbing forward...Which we are! Also i would have though Gia would need to spend more time in the midfield.

Mantis
02-09-2010, 10:23 AM
It would allow to be more of an opportunist forward. We all know the more kicks he gets, the more likely it result in either a scoring assist or a goal.

In a defensive role you would still want Gia to work off Shaw to gain possessions and give us some creativity.

Desipura
02-09-2010, 10:44 AM
In a defensive role you would still want Gia to work off Shaw to gain possessions and give us some creativity.
I would, however he was not too creative against them last time, did not get much of the footy at all.

Mantis
02-09-2010, 10:51 AM
I would, however he was not too creative against them last time, did not get much of the footy at all.

Was that because of the role he was playing or because for the first 3 quarters in that particular game we struggled getting the ball forward of centre?

Desipura
02-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Was that because of the role he was playing or because for the first 3 quarters in that particular game we struggled getting the ball forward of centre?

Both

bornadog
02-09-2010, 12:15 PM
Eade is contemplating playing one ruck according to a report in the Age. With the expected rain, this could happen.

LostDoggy
02-09-2010, 01:45 PM
Dre was surprisingly good in the wet in Adelaide for a guy supposedly lacking in intensity.
I would be very tempted to play him .
Cant help thinking he might offer more than mitch against the faster pies, even if it is wet.

btw someone on bf posted this vidio of our youngsters in the wet vs Adelaide -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFxZD_Jyktc

PaddyWhack
02-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Courtesy of afl.com.au:

Ins: Minson, Higgins, Johnson, Wood
Outs; Moles, Everitt, Jones, Roughead

No presti for pies either.