PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Grant

EasternWest
29-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Got back to the hotel last night in time to watch the Bombers replay and the f%$king Australia channel was showing the NRL.

Anyone care to tell me about Grant's game? I saw he got six, but that's about it.

AndrewP6
29-08-2010, 02:49 PM
Made great leads, ran hard, and converted well. His set shots haven't been a feature, but he made the most of opportunities last night. He and Hall were a good combination.

bornadog
29-08-2010, 02:51 PM
Could have had 7 with the hand pass over the top to Hall after marking 10 metres out. Great leading, very quick off the mark and some good marking as well using his height. Essendon had no match for him.

mighty_west
29-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Best on ground, also gave one off to Boydy who missed a running goal, a couple of really clever snaps & kicks for goal, he was the highlight of a very lackluster game, could be a real X factor in finals, he just looks like a bg game type player.

angelopetraglia
29-08-2010, 03:35 PM
He showed every trick in the bag last night;

- check-side goal
- snap goal
- strong leading marks
- crumbing goal
- big overhead mark and goal

Super impressive.

mjp
29-08-2010, 03:49 PM
Lead out, take a mark, kick a goal, kick a goal, lead out, take a mark, kick another goal.

Looked like a full-forward.

Flamethrower
29-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Lead out, take a mark, kick a goal, kick a goal, lead out, take a mark, kick another goal.

Would be very happy if he kicks as many goals as the great T Lockett.

As for Grant I have never known a player with so many nicknames - Channel 9 were calling him Spindleshanks this morning. Add to that Avatar, Merlin, Spock, and Stinger. Any others?

Before I Die
29-08-2010, 03:58 PM

The above is true, but it only describes 4 of his disposals for the night. He had 22 disposals with 91% efficiency. These included contested possesions won in the backline and possesions won by hard running into space on the wings.

comrade
29-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Grant at FF
Jones at CHF

comrade at half mast

(If we drafted a gun FB, it would be full mast)

Jasper
29-08-2010, 05:07 PM

Watching at the game, Grant covered more ground than Burke and Wills and looked to be running his opponent up, down and into the ground. Reckon he looks more of a CHF, Buddy like, but better overhead :)

He did not look like missing all night, and his field kicking is good as well. A reall break out game, well done.

EasternWest
29-08-2010, 05:11 PM
Grant at FF
Jones at CHF

comrade at half mast

(If we drafted a gun FB, it would be full mast)

ha ha ha nice work

Thanks guys, what a great kid.

Greystache
29-08-2010, 06:20 PM
He lead really hard last night and found some good space, but the most noticeable thing for me was he really demanded the ball be kicked to him, much more than I've seen from him before.

Drunken Bum
29-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Australia network had it on live here, started at 4pm, you must've missed it

mighty_west
29-08-2010, 07:16 PM
It's funny how things work out, Grant was recruited as a young tall forward, more as a leading full forward, when he was struggling at times at Willy, there were alot of concerned people thinking he was played out of position when he was given a run around the ground.

Yet now, as things have started falling into place, he has shown he is more than just that stay at home leading foward, yet last night also showed how dangrous he can be leading out burning off his opponent.

LostDoggy
29-08-2010, 08:31 PM
He was converting set shots last night which was great, 40 out, 20 out everywhere.

Going to be amazing can go up the ground and be a nick rewoldt style chf or a lead out of the square full forward.

SonofScray
29-08-2010, 09:07 PM

As for Grant I have never known a player with so many nicknames - Channel 9 were calling him Spindleshanks this morning. Add to that Avatar, Merlin, Spock, and Stinger. Any others?

SOC "son of chris"

Its a shame the dates don't add up but we like to think that he is a love child of the great man. Story goes goes that he had a few too many down the Rifle Club Hotel after another PF loss in the 90's and bedded a young lass working behind the bar. It has been covered up to protect the family man image of our hero, but also to protect young Merlin from the weight of expectation.

Now as his star begins to rise, the speculation grows and The Great Man wishes to impart some of his wisdom so under a cover of darkness they are down at WO training, learning to play like a champion. Mrs. Grant thinks Chris is playing poker at Johnno's place. Training sessions are tee'd up using aliases over a fan forum. The perfect plan. or is it?

LostDoggy
29-08-2010, 09:33 PM
SOC "son of chris"

Its a shame the dates don't add up but we like to think that he is a love child of the great man. Story goes goes that he had a few too many down the Rifle Club Hotel after another PF loss in the 90's and bedded a young lass working behind the bar. It has been covered up to protect the family man image of our hero, but also to protect young Merlin from the weight of expectation.

Now as his star begins to rise, the speculation grows and The Great Man wishes to impart some of his wisdom so under a cover of darkness they are down at WO training, learning to play like a champion. Mrs. Grant thinks Chris is playing poker at Johnno's place. Training sessions are tee'd up using aliases over a fan forum. The perfect plan. or is it?

Possibly the best thing I have read all week. Haha, hilarious!

Dancin' Douggy
29-08-2010, 09:35 PM

Lego man

mighty_west
29-08-2010, 10:24 PM

Have a look at him, the way he moves etc, how can he not have so many nicknames? :D

How about stickman? Prayingmantis?

Sockeye Salmon
29-08-2010, 10:31 PM
SOC "son of chris"

The problem with your theory is that the lass must have been a Grant as well.

Sister?
Brother's wife?
Maiden aunt on his dad's side?

SonofScray
29-08-2010, 10:46 PM
The problem with your theory is that the lass must have been a Grant as well.

Sister?
Brother's wife?
Maiden aunt on his dad's side?

Shannon Grant's cousin.

Mantis
30-08-2010, 09:29 AM
I too was off-shore and was pretty happy when I got the text that Grant had kicked 6. (I was also a little pissed that Eagleton had kicked 3 :D)

Looking forward to watching the replay topnight to see how the goal tally was gathered.

always right
30-08-2010, 10:43 AM
I took a work colleague with me to the footy during the season and he christened Grant "Skeletor".:p

On Eagleton, despite his obvious limitations you have to give him credit....he kicks some bloody spectaular goals on the run. A couple of his on Saturday night were rippers.

LostDoggy
30-08-2010, 10:56 AM

I call him Sharrod, because I kept slipping up and calling him Shannon earlier in the season (and once on Saturday night!!) so I figure I'll be half right if I say Sharrod. :D

ratsmac
30-08-2010, 01:08 PM
I took a work colleague with me to the footy during the season and he christened Grant "Skeletor".:p

On Eagleton, despite his obvious limitations you have to give him credit....he kicks some bloody spectaular goals on the run. A couple of his on Saturday night were rippers.

I loved the his goal when he roved the tap from Huddo (I think it was Huddo) and kicked truely from tight in the pocket. Ripper goal. I think he can be an important player in the finals for us. The only concern is his ability to run out games. He seems to go missing late in games IMO.

Murphy'sLore
30-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Two guys sitting behind me were groaning with pleasure every time Grant touched the ball. "Merrrr-lin!"

Gave me a giggle.

mighty_west
30-08-2010, 01:10 PM
The Ox talking about Grant on Game Day, "saw him 2 years ago, worst kicking style, bent knee, all over the shop, shocking ball drop, who's he been working with him down there?"

Cooney : i think maybe cos he's put on a little bit of weight, the ball might have been a bit heavy for him to hold....:D

LostDoggy
30-08-2010, 03:49 PM

Agree with you "always right", I wish the knockers would give credit to Eagle and others they knock when they do well. One guy on hear posted he missed the game and was pissed off when he heard Eagle had kicked 3 goals, that's the team thing for you hey !

Mantis
30-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Agree with you "always right", I wish the knockers would give credit to Eagle and others they knock when they do well. One guy on hear posted he missed the game and was pissed off when he heard Eagle had kicked 3 goals, that's the team thing for you hey !

That would be me.

Give me your best shot.

Twodogs
30-08-2010, 05:01 PM

It's not the three he kicked on saturday night we are concerned about. It's the three he missed in the prelim last year. And the year before.

AFL footballers are judged on the differance between their best and worst games. Three goals against disinterested opposition does just enough to get Nathan one more chance to let us see his worst at the worst time of year.

Dancin' Douggy
30-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Grant really looked like something special.
Really strong and sticky hands.

Really quick.

Really fast reflexes.

Strange way of moving which makes him unpredictable and therefore throws defenders out.
Really jerky and insect like.

Covered A LOT of ground. Was presenting at half back and wing and still kicked 6.

Kicked 6 straight but still looks unconvincing as a set shot I have to say.

Seems to have developed a bit of inner fire and intensity

LostDoggy
31-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Okay, someone has to say it:

Where are all those WOOFers who last year were openly making the far too early call that Grant was going to be no good? Please come out of the woodwork and stand in line for your ritual humilation.

Now, Hill, on the other hand...

always right
31-08-2010, 03:02 PM
Okay, someone has to say it:

Where are all those WOOFers who last year were openly making the far too early call that Grant was going to be no good? Please come out of the woodwork and stand in line for your ritual humilation.

Now, Hill, on the other hand...

My 18 yr old daughter declared "I don't think he's going to make it dad". I agreed with her. Simply amazing turnaround.

Mind you I was also the guy who declared fairly early in the piece that Danial Cross would never make it. Probably my favourite player now. (I haven't always had this user name)

Desipura
31-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Mind you I was also the guy who declared fairly early in the piece that Danial Cross would never make it. Probably my favourite player now. (I haven't always had this user name)
So was I.
Years ago, I posted on BF in bold "Daniel Cross wont make it as an AFL player". I stated his well known weaknesses (which he still has I might add).
Some players demand they play and want to make it more than the more talented players. Cross was that player and has been a great servant. I got it horribly wrong.

Sockeye Salmon
31-08-2010, 04:48 PM
So was I.
Years ago, I posted on BF in bold "Daniel Cross wont make it as an AFL player". I stated his well known weaknesses (which he still has I might add).
Some players demand they play and want to make it more than the more talented players. Cross was that player and has been a great servant. I got it horribly wrong.

In batting .500

I'll put my hand up as saying Grant won't make it but I was Crossy's biggest fan from well before he made his debut. I even named my son Daniel Thomas after him - in 2003.

always right
31-08-2010, 04:52 PM
In batting .500

I'll put my hand up as saying Grant won't make it but I was Crossy's biggest fan from well before he made his debut. I even named my son Daniel Thomas after him - in 2003.

I'm just happy you didn't name him Grant Thomas

Bulldog4life
31-08-2010, 05:10 PM
In batting .500

That's when Crossy was picking up 30 plus touches for Werribee but couldn't get a game under Cheap As Chips.

Desipura
31-08-2010, 05:16 PM
That's when Crossy was picking up 30 plus touches for Werribee but couldn't get a game under Cheap As Chips.
Correct

Twodogs
01-09-2010, 11:55 AM
In batting .500

Do you remember a training session late last preseason mate? We were talking about Liam Picken?;)

I did agree with you at the time though-I just couldnt see it. And he's missed, is it 4 games since then?

Dazza
01-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Always thought he was a chance with his speed and marking.

Really surprised with his workrate at the moment though. He rarely showed it at VFL level but has impressed at AFL level with it.

SlimPickens
01-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Always thought he was a chance with his speed and marking.

Really surprised with his workrate at the moment though. He rarely showed it at VFL level but has impressed at AFL level with it.

He has certainly stepped up with the level. Really like his game, think he could lead Maxwell on a merry dance sat night.