PDA

View Full Version : What Changes for Round 16

bornadog
15-07-2007, 12:41 PM
This is a big game for us and I believe we can beat Geelong, we match up well.

Grant and West likely to come in, but who do we drop?

In: West, Grant.

I hate to drop these players but could be in with the old and out with the young.

Out: Harbrow, Addison or maybe Robbins.

Dry Rot
15-07-2007, 01:38 PM
Who currently adds more to the team - Harbrow or Robbins?

I'd say Harbrow. Geelong defence will neutralise Robbins IMHO.

Bulldog Revolution
15-07-2007, 03:54 PM
Who currently adds more to the team - Harbrow or Robbins?

I'd say Harbrow. Geelong defence will neutralise Robbins IMHO.

Robbins was very quiet last night, whilst apart from his goal it was not Harbrows best performance either.

I see Addison back to the VFL for a spell to regain confidence etc

Bulldog Revolution
15-07-2007, 06:26 PM
I'm not 100% sure but I think Robbins has done OK against the Cats. Worth sticking with imo.

Apart from Harbrows goal his general play was not as sure as it has been in previous weeks, but I'd like to see him stay in the side, but I'd also like to see Robbins in the side

LostDoggy
15-07-2007, 07:23 PM
West coming in for Addison is a Monty but I'm not sure who grant would replace. It might have to be Williams.

I heard Eade on SEN today and he is indicating that Cross will be right for round 18 and would probably come straight back into the team but Griffen probably would return via Werribee starting in round. I think he said round 22 would be his best chance for a recall into the seniors. He also mentioned that Griffen still walked with a limp and wasn't a naturally fit player like Cross.

Go_Dogs
15-07-2007, 07:54 PM
Sadly it doesn't look like Griff will be able to impact too much on the rest of our season, really such a shame as he was looking very set for a big year but has been hampered by injury since just before the start of the season. Next year Griff... but at least he'll still be able to play a role in finals.

If West and Grant both come up I'd say Addison and Robbins would drop out - Robbins would be stiff but between Johnson, Murphy, Hahn, Grant and Darcy we have enough marking forwards.

bornadog
15-07-2007, 09:34 PM
West coming in for Addison is a Monty but I'm not sure who grant would replace. It might have to be Williams.

I can't see us dropping Williams at all. He will probably play on Hawkins, two emerging young players.

southerncross
15-07-2007, 09:37 PM
I can't see us dropping Williams at all. He will probably play on Hawkins, two emerging young players.

There was talk that Hawkins would make way for Nathan Ablett

bornadog
15-07-2007, 09:40 PM
There was talk that Hawkins would make way for Nathan Ablett

Thats ok, Williams can take on Nathan Ablett.

The Coon Dog
16-07-2007, 04:44 AM
Geelong love to use Scarlett as an unaccountable defender who can launch attacks. I see value in playing Matty Robbins as a 'defensive' forward who primary role will be to negate Scarlett's run from defense.

southerncross
16-07-2007, 06:23 AM
Thats ok, Williams can take on Nathan Ablett.

I wonder if the Cats would be silly enough to try Scarlett on Johnson again?

bornadog
16-07-2007, 11:55 AM

Geelong will certaintly be looking at who can match up on Johnno. If Scarlett doesn't go to Johnno, would they play Scarlett as a loose man in defence, and should we do what Coondog said, ie play Robinns to specifically look after Scarlett, because Johnno never really chases down the ground.

LostDoggy
16-07-2007, 12:49 PM
I think Robbins will fire up playing against his old team. He was well held last week - but his tackling was terrific against Port.

Bulldog Revolution
16-07-2007, 07:25 PM

If memory serves me correctly they started with Harley and then Harley was injured at Scarlett went on to him - but Johnson was just incredible that day and should have kicked 9 or 10 instead of a handy 7.

In: Grant, West
Out: Everitt, Addison

southerncross
16-07-2007, 07:45 PM
If memory serves me correctly they started with Harley and then Harley was injured at Scarlett went on to him - but Johnson was just incredible that day and should have kicked 9 or 10 instead of a handy 7.

In: Grant, West
Out: Everitt, Addison

Everitt would be a tough omission. We need to get Grant back into the side if he is fit though.

BulldogBelle
16-07-2007, 09:30 PM

For sure they will put Scarlett on Johnno at some stage, Geelong will have their hands full trying to find someone to negate Johnno effectively. As we know Johnno is a very hard person to match up on. I will be noting how many opponents Johnno gets.

Go_Dogs
17-07-2007, 11:16 AM
There was an interesting article in the advertiser today in regards to tackles inside F50. Last year, the top three teams for this stat were Sydney, Adelaide and West Coast, this year Kangaroos, Collingwood and Geelong are leading so far. We are currently ranked 12th, which is where we ended up last year too. Last year Matty Robbins finished 3rd overall for tackles inside F50, this year we don't have anyone that close to the top 10. Adelaide and West Coast have also suffered due to the loss of Bode and Sampi respectively who were both top 10 in the stat last year.

Seems quite interesting reading doesn't it? Hope Robbins can play again this week and really work on his defensive pressure.

Bulldog Revolution
17-07-2007, 03:40 PM
Everitt would be a tough omission. We need to get Grant back into the side if he is fit though.

Yes I agree, but I wasn't sure we wanted to replace Robbins or Harbrow with a tall in terms of team balance

Minus Cross and Griffen I just thought we'd need as much run as we could muster

Mantis
17-07-2007, 04:54 PM
Yes I agree, but I wasn't sure we wanted to replace Robbins or Harbrow with a tall in terms of team balance

Minus Cross and Griffen I just thought we'd need as much run as we could muster

In theory it sounds Ok, but you are replacing Everitt who played mainly on a wing on Saturday with a tall who will play as a tall forward or as a spare man in defence. I dont think Robbins adds a lot of run to the team, he adds a leading forward and offensive pressure (when on song), but I dont think he adds run. Harbrow looked buggered on Saturday night, maybe he needs a week off to recharge the batteries.

Everitt worked hard to get into the team and has been very serviceable in his two games thus far. He is the type of player who can take us forward and should be given every opportunity to play in these 'big' games.

Dry Rot
17-07-2007, 05:37 PM
It is reasonably certain that both West & Grant will be returning? Would Grant mostly play up forward?

bornadog
17-07-2007, 06:47 PM
It is reasonably certain that both West & Grant will be returning? Would Grant mostly play up forward?

They were both close to playing last week. Grant will probably be used at both ends of the ground.

I wouldn't drop Everitt at all, he has been very imressive in his fiist two games and is very athletic as well as tall.

LostDoggy
18-07-2007, 10:43 AM
Ray is ion doubt so I suppose there is a fair chance that "itsee bitsee Spida" will be maintained. ;)

bornadog
18-07-2007, 06:13 PM
Ray is ion doubt so I suppose there is a fair chance that "itsee bitsee Spida" will be maintained. ;)

I believe Ray will be ok to play, Grant is still to be tested tomorrow and West will play.

bornadog
19-07-2007, 06:59 PM
Official

In West
Out Addison

WESTERN BULLDOGS
B: Jordan McMahon, Brian Harris, Dale Morris
HB: Lindsay Gilbee, Tom Williams, Ryan Hargrave
C: Shaun Higgins, Scott West, Jason Akermanis
HF: Daniel Giansiracusa, Brad Johnson, Mitch Hahn
F: Nathan Eagleton, Luke Darcy, Matthew Robbins
FOLL: Peter Street, Adam Cooney, Matthew Boyd
I/C: Andrejs Everitt, Jarrod Harbrow, Robert Murphy, Farren Ray
EMG: Dylan Addison, Wayde Skipper, Cameron Wight

Go_Dogs
19-07-2007, 07:36 PM
Our team looks very good on paper at the moment doesn't it.

bornadog
19-07-2007, 07:48 PM
Our team looks very good on paper at the moment doesn't it.

Yes it does, but no Grant, they would be making sure he he is right for the finals:)

Dry Rot
19-07-2007, 08:00 PM
Any changes for the Cats?

southerncross
19-07-2007, 09:18 PM
Skipper on the emergencies is a surprise even though he had a good game for the Bees last week. I thought he was out of favour

BulldogBelle
19-07-2007, 09:24 PM
Any changes for the Cats?

Only one change for the Cats - Varcoe was dropped and Byrnes in. Nathan Ablett still not back in the Geelong side.

Dry Rot
19-07-2007, 10:09 PM
Only one change for the Cats - Varcoe was dropped and Byrnes in. Nathan Ablett still not back in the Geelong side.

Thanks

Dry Rot
19-07-2007, 10:10 PM
The Geelong team looks stacked for talent and players in form. It's going to be a huge test.

I still can't figure out why they turned to crap last year.

LostDoggy
19-07-2007, 10:32 PM
I still can't figure out why they turned to crap last year.

I think last year that had a few players returning from injury much like we have had this year. They didn't get off to a great start either and there was a lot of speculation about the coaching future of Thompson. All those distractions cost them.
This year though, Johnson, Ottens and Bartel have been in good form and Ling has returned to form GAblett has had a stellar season as well.

They are a very even team with enough match winners to hurt us.

The Coon Dog
19-07-2007, 11:53 PM
I think last year that had a few players returning from injury much like we have had this year. They didn't get off to a great start either and there was a lot of speculation about the coaching future of Thompson. All those distractions cost them.
This year though, Johnson, Ottens and Bartel have been in good form and Ling has returned to form GAblett has had a stellar season as well.

They are a very even team with enough match winners to hurt us.

From memory they won their first 3 games (dropped a home game to the Hawks I think).

Seems that after their review Mark Thompson has learnt to delegate. He felt he was doing too much last season & it affected the way he coached.

Also, they sacked their fitness guy, Loris something or other as they felt he hadn't put the required level of work into the players pre season. Basically they felt that they weren't fit enough.

I saw Bomber Thompson interviewed about 6 weeks ago on 'On The Couch' & these are some of my recollections.

Go_Dogs
20-07-2007, 11:44 AM
I like Varcoe out. Helps us quite a lot imo.

aker39
20-07-2007, 11:50 AM
I am disappointed that Granty did not make it for this game.

In such a big game, he would have been a calming influence for the young fella's like Williams and Everitt.

Let's hope they can stand up.

LostDoggy
20-07-2007, 01:43 PM
Agree, it would have been nice to have Grant out there tonight. However, Everitt seems to be handling things just fine. Doesn't seem to panic at all.

Dry Rot
20-07-2007, 02:25 PM
Will Everitt play forward?

bornadog
20-07-2007, 07:06 PM
Will Everitt play forward?

Last week he seem to play a wing role. It will depend on the match ups.

One player that always gives us trouble, when he is in form, is Ottens. In last years one point match, he kicked a few that made the difference.

bornadog
20-07-2007, 07:12 PM
Just listening to SEN beforw I make my way to the ground, and Scarlett is out.