PDA

View Full Version : Weather forecast for QF

LostDoggy
30-08-2010, 04:50 PM
It is predicted that there will be 16mm of rain falling in Melbourne on Saturday. It's probably a bit early for that to be accurate but who will this advantage or disadvantage?

1eyedog
30-08-2010, 05:34 PM
I don't know. Given we won a close one against Melbourne and also against Adelaide in the wet it may favor us, but I really think it just evens things up if it rains heavily.

Might be time to bring in/keep hard bodies if it's really slippery.

LostDoggy
30-08-2010, 05:43 PM
It is predicted that there will be 16mm of rain falling in Melbourne on Saturday. It's probably a bit early for that to be accurate but who will this advantage or disadvantage?

This will advantage the team us or Collingwood play the next week.

LostDoggy
30-08-2010, 05:54 PM
Do you think that with a lot of rain this will force Collingwood to use the corridor?

I think if we turn this game into a real scrap we will win. We have played in wet conditions two times this year against Melbourne and Adelaide. Have Collingwood played any wet weather footy?

Cyberdoggie
30-08-2010, 05:57 PM
With no cooney and griffen it may help but Collingwood's ability to pressure us could either be even more effective, or in fact less effective.
If we panic and try and over use the ball by hand then we will suffer for it.
If we get into wet weather mode and put the ball on the boot, it might help.

The other factor is that Barry hall doesn't play well in the wet, and we've probably got the lighter bodies.

Sockeye Salmon
30-08-2010, 06:06 PM
It's not the kind of weather to be pissing around with delicate little kicks around the boundary that Malthouse loves.

LostDoggy
30-08-2010, 06:17 PM
Do you think that with a lot of rain this will force Collingwood to use the corridor?

I think if we turn this game into a real scrap we will win. We have played in wet conditions two times this year against Melbourne and Adelaide. Have Collingwood played any wet weather footy?

From memory Eagle and Everitt played very well in that Adelaide game , and when it was
slippery up in Darwin Moles looked quite clean too. Didn't we have a wet one in Canberra this year also ? or was that pre season?

Axe Man
30-08-2010, 06:17 PM
Slightly off topic but does anybody know at what row letter the undercover section of level 1 in the southern stand begins? Just trying to figure out if I'm likely to need floatation devices on Saturday night!

LostDoggy
30-08-2010, 06:20 PM
Slightly off topic but does anybody know at what row letter the undercover section of level 1 in the southern stand begins? Just trying to figure out if I'm likely to need floatation devices on Saturday night!

Once the letters start getting into doubles ( AA etc ), i think you are close, depending on the
angle of the rain. I was row JJ in the southern stand in the prelim last year and it was quite a way under.

LostDoggy
30-08-2010, 06:47 PM

Yeah, I'm getting my seats in the AFL members tomorrow morning, hoping to get them undercover. I hate those poncho things!

FlightoftheCallanWards
30-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Believe it begins at X, but in this row you're a good chance to get wet. Like said above you want the Double letters if you want to be guaranteed out of the rain. Im not fussed though :D

The Bulldogs Bite
30-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Hope it pours.

As SS said, it doesn't suit the gameplan that has worked for them so well all year.

It also makes life easier for the back half without Morris.

Bumper Bulldogs
30-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Will this change the match ups with us playing a lot smaller team, Go with one ruck and a mosquito fleet on goal kockers.

AndrewP6
30-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Will this change the match ups with us playing a lot smaller team, Go with one ruck and a mosquito fleet on goal kockers.

I know exactly what word you meant, but this is funnier ;)

Rocco Jones
30-08-2010, 09:58 PM
It's not the kind of weather to be pissing around with delicate little kicks around the boundary that Malthouse loves.

Yep.

I also think that all things being equal, something out of the norm suits an underdog more than a favourite.

We need a few things to go against the grain and I think wet and windy conditions act as a good equaliser. It might also help us with our lack of midfield polish now that Cooney is out and Griff at least not full fit. Hopefully the conditions are horrendous and Hudson, Boyd, Cross and Picken take advantage of it.

That AAMI experience might be extremely valuable.

LostDoggy
30-08-2010, 10:02 PM
Different weather sites are saying different amounts of rain. Weatherzone says an 80% chance of rain with the amount being 20-40mm. I've also read 16mm and 8mm...

lemmon
30-08-2010, 10:49 PM
Good thing for us, Cross, Boyd and Moles will love it while guys like Daisy and Pendles may struggle with the slippery wet footy. As the underdogs I'm looking at any change from the norm as a positive and as mentioned the boundary line is not where you want to be in wet weather footy.

Rocco Jones
30-08-2010, 10:55 PM
Good thing for us, Cross, Boyd and Moles will love it while guys like Daisy and Pendles may struggle with the slippery wet footy. As the underdogs I'm looking at any change from the norm as a positive and as mentioned the boundary line is not where you want to be in wet weather footy.

Hopefully it will be a bit like our final against the Eagles in 1999, accept with the good guys winning in the end.

The Coon Dog
30-08-2010, 10:58 PM
Hopefully it will be a bit like our final against the Eagles in 1999, accept with the good guys winning in the end.

Wasn't that an awful night. From memory Sockeye felt the umpiring was as sub standard as the weather.

Chris Grant had kicked out on the full once that season leading into that game. He did it twice in the first quarter.

Rocco Jones
30-08-2010, 11:05 PM
Wasn't that an awful night. From memory Sockeye felt the umpiring was as sub standard as the weather.

Chris Grant had kicked out on the full once that season leading into that game. He did it twice in the first quarter.

Yep, couldn't believe the amount of times we kicked it on the full.

I remember going with a few people and one friend brought along someone visiting from the US. It was his first game and he thought we were mad to go watch something so awfully unappealing.

I the Umps giving Wirrpanda an extra 10 metres or so (think it was from a 50) which wwas vital in him kicking a goal.

The Pie Man
31-08-2010, 12:11 AM
That final in 99 was one of the stranger nights of football I can remember - I got a seat in the lower level of the Ponsford walk up on the night, and the breeze was like a hurricane.

A group of young guys near us were having some fun with Scott Cummings, yelling out 'CUMMINGS.....YOU'RE FAT'

Mark Alvey played after taking his opportunity against Port in round 22, and had a chance to kick one on half time but fluffed it. I remember Kolynuik played well, and had a chance late to claw us back, but not to be.

Then we got seriously jipped by the system - playing in Brisbane after they killed Carlton the week before, and the Blues somehow got to host the Eagles at the G the next week. A shambles.

Remi Moses
31-08-2010, 01:36 AM
That was an awful awful loss that night but the conditions evened up the contest.

Desipura
31-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Hahn and Cross would love it to rain, these 2 could be crucial players.

LostDoggy
31-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Now that I'm sitting out in the open I hope it just rains in the day now! :p

Sockeye Salmon
31-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Yep, couldn't believe the amount of times we kicked it on the full.

I remember going with a few people and one friend brought along someone visiting from the US. It was his first game and he thought we were mad to go watch something so awfully unappealing.

I the Umps giving Wirrpanda an extra 10 metres or so (think it was from a 50) which wwas vital in him kicking a goal.

Aggghhhhh. Don't bring it up again!!!!!!!!

That wasn't a 50, it was a straight out umpire balls up. Wirrpanda got a free inside the centre square. As the umpires switched positions the 2nd umpire brought Todd Curley back and set the mark on the 50m line. The ball cleared Scott Wynd on the goal line by inches.

always right
31-08-2010, 11:00 AM

The better players are better players whether it's wet or not. I do however like the idea of a wet weather game as it introduces variables and perhaps a few doubts in the Collingwood player's minds. More importantly it might get our blokes thinking the gods might be smiling on them for once.

LostDoggy
01-09-2010, 10:50 AM
All this talk of about rainy weather,
Has my brain at the end of it's tether.
For in really wet football,
The Doggies are wonderful.
But that is not what startles,
My mohawk becomes a debacle!

:confused::(:rolleyes:;)

LostDoggy
01-09-2010, 11:06 AM

I must admit I thought of you & your mohawk when I read this thread. I hope it stays dry during the game for you. :)

The Coon Dog
01-09-2010, 11:21 AM

Tell your mohawk to drink some cement & harden the **** up! ;)

The Pie Man
01-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Tell your mohawk to drink some cement & harden the **** up! ;)

That could well be what it needs in the wet... literally! :)

Twodogs
01-09-2010, 01:16 PM

Nicky Winmar was a late withdrawl with injury that night too. It was a huge shame because that's exactly the sort of game we bought him across for.

If anyone could have tamed the conditions and kicked the bloody ball straight that night he could have.

angelopetraglia
01-09-2010, 06:16 PM
The forecast is getting worse, if that is possible;

Cloudy. Rain. Winds north to northeasterly averaging up to 50 km/h tending north to northwesterly 40 to 45 km/h by early evening.

City Rain. Windy. Min 11 Max 20.

Northerly wind of up to 50 km/h ... that is blowing some gale.

Wet and windy, it going to be an ugly, ugly game. Hopefully the committed desperate Bulldogs team that turned out in our last final V StKilda turns up on Saturday night, 'cause that is what we will need just to be competitive.

LostDoggy
01-09-2010, 06:23 PM
The forecast is getting worse, if that is possible;

Cloudy. Rain. Winds north to northeasterly averaging up to 50 km/h tending north to northwesterly 40 to 45 km/h by early evening.

City Rain. Windy. Min 11 Max 20.

Northerly wind of up to 50 km/h ... that is blowing some gale.

Wet and windy, it going to be an ugly, ugly game. Hopefully the committed desperate Bulldogs team that turned out in our last final V StKilda turns up on Saturday night, 'cause that is what we will need just to be competitive.

A wind that strong might correct their wayward goalkicking and they'll kick 15 goals straight :D

LostDoggy
01-09-2010, 06:40 PM
I'm hoping that if we lose we hurt and injure a their best players. Is that mean?

I hate Collingwood.

Sedat
01-09-2010, 06:52 PM
The balmy evening and gusty winds in the semi-final against Brisbane last year were almost identical to that infamous final in 1999. Griff really showed his class early on that night when nobody else could hit the side of a barn by foot.

1eyedog
01-09-2010, 10:32 PM
The balmy evening and gusty winds in the semi-final against Brisbane last year were almost identical to that infamous final in 1999. Griff really showed his class early on that night when nobody else could hit the side of a barn by foot.

He did didn't he. Hope he gets up!

Desipura
02-09-2010, 12:19 PM
I dont care if it is pouring rain and I get drenched as long as I am like this at the end of the game

angelopetraglia
02-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Worst rain event since 1998 is forecast for Victoria this Saturday!

See article: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/flood-warnings-as-torrential-rain-set-to-hit-state-20100902-14plo.html?autostart=1

Forecast for Melbourne also gets worse:

Forecast for Saturday

Cloudy. Areas of rain. The chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Winds northeasterly averaging up to 50 km/h tending westerly by early evening.

City Rain. Windy. Min 13 Max 19

Wind now 50 km/h and thunderstorms now in the forecast. That will just be mayhem. Will have to have an impact on the crowd too.

It is going to be a crazy day and night.

MCG car park will most probably be closed too.

LostDoggy
02-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Maybe it will just rain in the day and stop for the game? Or is that wishful thinking so I don't have to wear one of those horrible ponchos?! I refuse to wear them. I'll just go and find a decent spot to stand.

The Coon Dog
04-09-2010, 12:13 AM
UPDATE 9.30pm: THE biggest storm in 15 years is expected to hit Victoria tomorrow.

Link (Torrential rain and flooding forecast for parts of Victoria)

The Underdog
04-09-2010, 12:35 AM
UPDATE 9.30pm: THE biggest storm in 15 years is expected to hit Victoria tomorrow.

Link (Torrential rain and flooding forecast for parts of Victoria)

Yes, but it does say that Melbourne will miss the worst of it. Unless we're going to play the game in Wang, it should be shitty conditions but I'm sure we'll all survive.

angelopetraglia
04-09-2010, 12:48 AM
I think the wind (55 km/h to 65 km/h average with up to 100 km/h squalls) is going to have a bigger impact than the rain.

40 km/h + wind normally plays absolute havoc with the game at the MCG. The wind just gusts around in circles making precise kicking and reading the ball in the air close to impossible.

BulldogBelle
04-09-2010, 01:14 AM
Should be an interesting evening tomorrow at the G, hopefully things will swing in our favour playing wise, weatherwise my new super comfy raincoat will come in handy. For added insurance stopped in at Ray's Outdoors and picked up a few plastic ponchos for the other family members attending the game.

KT31
04-09-2010, 05:05 PM
Should be an interesting evening tomorrow at the G, hopefully things will swing in our favour playing wise, weatherwise my new super comfy raincoat will come in handy. For added insurance stopped in at Ray's Outdoors and picked up a few plastic ponchos for the other family members attending the game.

Did the same with Sockeye this morning, except from Anaconda.

KT31
04-09-2010, 05:08 PM
All the farmers in our disrict swear by the Elders site for the weather.

http://www.eldersweather.com.au/

angelopetraglia
04-09-2010, 05:37 PM
Looks like the BOM have got it wrong.

Wind now only at 25 km/h to 35 km/h and it doesn't look like we have anywhere near the rain predicted.

LostDoggy
05-09-2010, 03:02 AM
I found it quite amusing that everyone had those poncho things. I was looking at the radar on my phone and you could clearly see it was not going to rain at all during the match yet in the pre-game they said scattered showers and possible thunderstorms...