PDA

View Full Version : Pathway to Premiership

becmatty
30-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Regardless of the outcome this week against the Pies, our pathway to the Grand Final is one which I beleive we are up to...

I have listed the likely winners (underlined) and that shows us how we would progress.

Scenario 1:
Winning this week against Collingwood

Week 1:

Collingwood Vs Bulldogs MCG
St Kilda Vs Geelong
Fremantle Vs Hawthorn
Sydney Vs Carlton

Week 2:

Collingwood Vs Sydney
St Kilda Vs Hawthorn

Week 3:
Bulldogs Vs St Kilda MCG
Geelong Vs Collingwood

Grand Final
Bulldogs Vs Geelong MCG

Scenario 2:
Losing this week against Collingwood

Week 1:

St Kilda Vs Geelong
Fremantle Vs Hawthorn
Sydney Vs Carlton

Week 2:

Bulldogs Vs Sydney MCG
St Kilda Vs Hawthorn

Week 3:
Bulldogs Vs Geelong MCG
St Kilda Vs Collingwood

Grand Final
Bulldogs Vs St Kilda MCG

The Coon Dog
30-08-2010, 09:24 PM
Regardless of the outcome this week against the Pies, our pathway to the Grand Final is one which I beleive we are up to...

I have listed the likely winners (underlined) and that shows us how we would progress.

Scenario 1:
Winning this week against Collingwood

Week 1:

St Kilda Vs Geelong
Fremantle Vs Hawthorn
Sydney Vs Carlton

Week 2:

Collingwood Vs Sydney
St Kilda Vs Hawthorn

Week 3:
Bulldogs Vs St Kilda MCG
Geelong Vs Collingwood

Grand Final
Bulldogs Vs Geelong MCG

Scenario 2:

Week 1:

St Kilda Vs Geelong
Fremantle Vs Hawthorn
Sydney Vs Carlton

Week 2:

Bulldogs Vs Sydney Ethihad
St Kilda Vs Hawthorn

Week 3:
Bulldogs Vs St Kilda MCG
Geelong Vs Collingwood

Grand Final
Bulldogs Vs Geelong MCG

In the 2nd scenario, if Collingwood beat us & Geelong beat St.Kilda, both Collingwood & Geelong will go straight into Preliminary finals, but not against each other.

LostDoggy
31-08-2010, 02:04 AM
Indeed.

Flamethrower
31-08-2010, 08:02 AM
No finals at Etihad after week 1 - if we play the Swans or Carlton in a semi final it will be at the MCG.

becmatty
31-08-2010, 08:18 AM
In the 2nd scenario, if Collingwood beat us & Geelong beat St.Kilda, both Collingwood & Geelong will go straight into Preliminary finals, but not against each other.

Ta TCD, amended that.

Would love to steal the win this week through the Scenario 1 pathway and get through to the Prelim against (likely) St Kilda.

That would mean Collingwood or Geelong would play off in the other prelim and will eliminate one of themselves.

That would leave us with the task of beating the Saints to make the Grand Final. I would fancy our chances against the Saints...What a massive game it is for us this week then...

Mantis
31-08-2010, 10:25 AM
That would leave us with the task of beating the Saints to make the Grand Final. I would fancy our chances against the Saints...What a massive game it is for us this week then...

What makes you so confident?

Our most suitable player to play on their best player won't be there, our other options aren't suited at all to playing on this type.

LostDoggy
31-08-2010, 10:34 AM
No finals at Etihad after week 1 - if we play the Swans or Carlton in a semi final it will be at the MCG.

Is this a new rule this year?

We have played our second final at Ethad the last 2 years.

Mantis
31-08-2010, 10:35 AM
We have played our second final at Ethad the last 2 years.

We have never played a final at the Docklands stadium.... Period.

The Pie Man
31-08-2010, 11:06 AM
^^^

True

There's only been a handful of elimination finals at Docklands (some pretty poor crowd figures for the North v Port final a few years ago)

Sockeye Salmon
31-08-2010, 11:26 AM

Our most suitable player to play on their best player won't be there, our other options aren't suited at all to playing on this type.

I think our only hope of making a grand final would start with St. Kilda beating Geelong on Friday night.

I would then expect us to lose to Collingwood and then beat Sydney.

Then you roll the dice with Williams on Riewoldt and tell him we have no plan B.

I think we can get St. Kilda, I don't think we could beat either of Collingwood or Geelong

LostDoggy
31-08-2010, 02:27 PM
I think our only hope of making a grand final would start with St. Kilda beating Geelong on Friday night.

Then you roll the dice with Williams on Riewoldt and tell him we have no plan B.

I think we can get St. Kilda, I don't think we could beat either of Collingwood or Geelong

My thoughts exactly SS except I am starting to feel a glimmer of hope for this Saturday for some reason.

The Coon Dog
31-08-2010, 02:47 PM
If playing StKilda in a Preliminary is our best bet of getting to the Grand Final, it'd be just our luck that we'd beat Collingwood & StKilda would also beat Geelong, putting us in opposite sides of the draw.

bornadog
31-08-2010, 03:09 PM
Saw Rocket today and he said he wants the weeks break:)

Mantis
31-08-2010, 03:14 PM
Saw Rocket today and he said he wants the weeks break:)

With the state of our list I doubt we would have the petrol in the tank to qualify for the GF if we don't win this week.

The Pie Man
31-08-2010, 03:24 PM
With the state of our list I doubt we would have the petrol in the tank to qualify for the GF if we don't win this week.

September holistically may end up too much for us, but 50-50's this week are an interesting dilemma. Do we jab up some sore spots and go all out Saturday night in the hope we can win and earn a week's rest which will do the world of good (& then risking further aggravation) - or go conservative and ensure the 50-50's are close to 100% for a potential semi?

bornadog
31-08-2010, 04:03 PM

Keep positive Mantis:)

Remi Moses
31-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Personally don't see us getting past our kriptonite
The Prelim,trying to be positive but you have to be a realist. Just for once it would be nice if we could get a win in a final against all odds

The Pie Man
31-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Personally don't see us getting past our kriptonite
The Prelim,trying to be positive but you have to be a realist. Just for once it would be nice if we could get a win in a final against all odds

We've only ever won one prelim - 1961.

1954 was the 2nd semi final vs Geelong that granted us a GF spot.

Weird/crap isn't it?

becmatty
31-08-2010, 07:09 PM

If you can't cover for one or two players, then you don't deserve to be taken seriously as a club.

True, we have Cooney out - and Morris - who I think you are eluding to for Big Nick, but we must and can get over that.

St Kilda beat us without their 'best player' when Reiwoldt was out earlier in the year. Now it is our turn.

Tommy Williams and Brian Lake are a formidable combination and can get the job done.

So can the Doggies. Get on the path Mantis...

AndrewP6
31-08-2010, 07:12 PM
Tommy Williams and Brian Lake are a formidable combination and can get the job done.

They are, but Biscuit got another knock and Briza is clearly playing under duress.

becmatty
31-08-2010, 07:21 PM
They are, but Biscuit got another knock and Briza is clearly playing under duress.

Yep, they are. At this time of the year all clubs are battered though.

That is why a win this week to give us a weeks break would be a sensational advantage and gve blokes like Lake, Williams, Johnno etc the time to recharge and take on the Saints in Week 3 of the finals.

If a player is selected though, you would expect them to be right to play.

Get behind them this week and keep the faith. Nobody outside the club gives us a chance which pleases me...

Mantis
31-08-2010, 08:44 PM

I have been on the path (whatever the hell that is) for a very long time.

So far the path has led to a dead end and I am seeing no sign in this campaign that things have changed. I am going in with low expectations, but hope to be surprised.

aker39
31-08-2010, 10:36 PM
We've only ever won one prelim - 1961.

1954 was the 2nd semi final vs Geelong that granted us a GF spot.

Weird/crap isn't it?

Our fellow bulldogs in the SANFL have played in the last 10 grand finals, but have not had to play in one prelim.

Desipura
01-09-2010, 09:56 AM
I have been on the path (whatever the hell that is) for a very long time.

So far the path has led to a dead end and I am seeing no sign in this campaign that things have changed. I am going in with low expectations, but hope to be surprised.
Me to, the fall is not as steep that way.

bornadog
01-09-2010, 10:49 AM
Me to, the fall is not as steep that way.

Whether I fool myself to have low expectations or not I will still be disspointed if we can't get to the granny, so i will stay my normal self, ie, positive and not mope around like some posters and supporters.

boydogs
06-09-2010, 12:53 AM

Week 1 complete :)

becmatty
06-09-2010, 01:46 AM

Scenario 2:

Week 1:

St Kilda Vs Geelong
Fremantle Vs Hawthorn
Sydney Vs Carlton

Week 2:

Bulldogs Vs Sydney MCG
Geelong Vs Fremantle

Week 3:
Bulldogs Vs St Kilda MCG
Geelong Vs Collingwood

Grand Final
Bulldogs Vs Geelong MCG

Okay, we didn't get the win against Collingwood and the week off, but an extra game to run our players into some desperately needed form may be the blessing we need.

Also, I would rather be playing St Kilda in the Prelim than Geelong, so perhaps there is still a pulse in our season?...Let's get over the Swannies first...

Dry Rot
06-09-2010, 01:53 AM
Okay, we didn't get the win against Collingwood and the week off, but an extra game to run our players into some desperately needed form may be the blessing we need.

Also, I would rather be playing St Kilda in the Prelim than Geelong, so perhaps there is still a pulse in our season?...Let's get over the Swannies first...

You sound like Emperor Hirohito announcing the Japanese surrender in WW2

The war has not necessarily gone to our advantage

becmatty
07-09-2010, 05:27 AM
You sound like Emperor Hirohito announcing the Japanese surrender in WW2

Arigato Dry Rot-san.

Far from surrender though; As Johnno said, footy can change pretty quickly.

If we play fast, furious footy this week, take risks, run wild and crush the Swannies, we can somehow smash ourselves back into form.

Then if Morris returned for the prelim, with all the emotion around Johnno, and rejuvenated team self-belief, I would fancy our chances against the Saints.

Imagine then, if Cooney was right for the Final?

It's a dream, but you must admit its a good one...

Mantis
07-09-2010, 09:38 AM
Arigato Dry Rot-san.

If we play fast, furious footy this week, take risks, run wild and crush the Swannies, we can somehow smash ourselves back into form.

Then if Morris returned for the prelim, with all the emotion around Johnno, and rejuvenated team self-belief, I would fancy our chances against the Saints.

Who will do or this running for us?

Desipura
07-09-2010, 09:55 AM
Arigato Dry Rot-san.

Who will do or this running for us?
Cross, Boyd, Hahn, Eagle, Ward, Addison, Gia & Johnno. :confused:

becmatty
12-09-2010, 05:48 AM
And we continue to roll on...