PDA

View Full Version : Leon Davis - Can we Stop him?

bornadog
31-08-2010, 05:21 PM
When Leon is on fire Collingwood seems to be on fire, especially against us.

The Last five games with goals kicked by Leon Davis:

2008 - Leon didn't play and we won

- Rd 15 - 4.1 Lost

- Rd 22 - 1.0 Won

-Rd 1 - 3.0 Lost

-Rd 11 - 3.1 Lost

Who should play on Leon? I am not confident Harbrow can pick him up, last few times he has really given him the run around. Is Addison up to the task?

Sedat
31-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Give Gilbee some defensive responsibility. He is not offering much as a rebounding defender anyway.

Greystache
31-08-2010, 05:40 PM
When Leon is on fire Collingwood seems to be on fire, especially against us.

Personally I think it's the other way around. I think Davis is a front runner of the highest order, he runs forward of the play in every situation even if it leaves a team mate out numbered. When Collingwood are up and running and winning contests they feed Davis out on his own and he takes the glory, but if you're beating them he doesn't get a look in, which is one of the reasons his finals record is so poor.

For me if we can beat Collingwood through the middle and stop their run out of defence we won't need to worry about Davis. As a match up I think Wood is a good option if he's fit or Gilbee to blanket him.

Rance Fan
31-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Tim Callan should be set for the task. We need Wood and Harbrow to create run from the backhalf not just be a negator.

soupman
31-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Tim Callan should be set for the task. We need Wood and Harbrow to create run from the backhalf not just be a negator.

I think it's a bit late for Callan to come in. I think the job will go to Wood or Harbrow.

anfo27
31-08-2010, 06:57 PM
I hope Wood gets the job because Harbrow has been well beaten the last couple of times.

Harbrow played higher up the ground last game, does anyone think we are likely to use him in a similar role this week?

LostDoggy
31-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Wood will play on him. Harbrow will have more of a midfield role because of our injuries.

LostDoggy
31-08-2010, 07:10 PM
Harbrow played higher up the ground last game, does anyone think we are likely to use him in a similar role this week?

Yeah, definitely - I think he needs to fill the void of no Cooney. Someone has to win it out of the guts and if that was him it would be a real step in taking this game by the teeth :D

anfo27
31-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Yeah, definitely - I think he needs to fill the void of no Cooney. Someone has to win it out of the guts and if that was him it would be a real step in taking this game by the teeth :D

I must admit I did like him playing higher up the ground and would be worth trying again.

Mantis
31-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Give Gilbee some defensive responsibility. He is not offering much as a rebounding defender anyway.

Gilbee is our pointer at present. He points at his opponent to try and get a team-mate to give him a chop out as he can't keep up.

He is struggling and if we had a full squad to choose from he should be one player under pressure to hold his spot.

And no I wouldn't be sending him to Neon.

Greystache
31-08-2010, 08:59 PM
Gilbee is our pointer at present. He points at his opponent to try and get a team-mate to give him a chop out as he can't keep up.

He is struggling and if we had a full squad to choose from he should be one player under pressure to hold his spot.

You might if Leon was in the stands this week. ;)

bornadog
31-08-2010, 09:06 PM

Who would you put on him?

Mantis
31-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Who would you put on him?

First choice would be Wood.

Next choice would probably be Hargrave.

Cyberdoggie
31-08-2010, 10:11 PM

He's been getting beaten defensively as well.

Harbrow is the obvious one who has played on Leon before and sometimes looks ok but when Davis is on his game he clearly has the better of Harbrow, both in the air and on the turn.

An option may be young Easton Wood if he comes good from his injury.
Easton has shown that he is cool headed and reliable under pressure, he's strong and smart in his body work and positioning, and he's very good in the air.

Steve Johnson had the better off him a few weeks back but he would of beaten anyone the way that game went, perhaps he could do the job on Davis.

Mantis
31-08-2010, 10:33 PM
Steve Johnson had the better off him a few weeks back but he would of beaten anyone the way that game went, perhaps he could do the job on Davis.

Not so sure on that.

Wood had done a pretty good job up until the point that he went off injured.

Rocco Jones
31-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Not so sure on that.

Agreed.

Stopping Johnson is difficult at the best of times but he was constantly getting superb delivery from his team mates. I thought Wood was right up in our best when he went off (not hard).

LostDoggy
31-08-2010, 10:39 PM
Not so sure on that.

Agree, thought Wood done a pretty good job for most parts.

Give him a crack at Leon, he will be able to shut him down & hurt him going the other way as well.

always right
01-09-2010, 09:12 AM
Harbrow has to play further up the ground. If Griff is out we'll have a midfield full of one-pace plodders.

Mantis
01-09-2010, 09:22 AM
Harbrow has to play further up the ground. If Griff is out we'll have a midfield full of one-pace plodders.

Add to the fact that Harbrow is struggling to get his arm above his head to spoil.

It was embarrassing watching him try and spoil Dennis-Lane (thru not fault of Jarrod's I must admit, he shouldn't have been put in that situation)

Cyberdoggie
01-09-2010, 10:17 AM
Not so sure on that.

I agree he was doing ok, but because of the the way the game was going, he was never going to win that battle.

Curly5
01-09-2010, 11:34 AM
Many of Davis's possessions are cheap as he doesn't contest the ball but plays for frees constantly. Our boys have fallen into this trap in the past. Whoever plays on him must be mindful of this and not let the little finger-waving cheat get away with it. (No, I don't like him :o)