PDA

View Full Version : DéjÃ* vu - Mitch Hahn end of 2010

Topdog
01-09-2010, 07:46 PM
Is eerily similar to Scott Welsh end of 2009. Playing a forward who has lost his touch and is dreadfully out of form in the backline smacks of desperation. Please don't do it again Rodney.

Go_Dogs
01-09-2010, 07:49 PM
Unless we go with mjp's idea for Wood to play on the resting ruck, with Morris down we don't have a bunch of options at the moment. I'm all for mjp's suggestion, but it's a big ask of a kid coming back from an injury.

Agree that Hahn's value in the side is questionable at the moment, but I can see why the MC will retain him in that role.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-09-2010, 08:19 PM
It's a good comparison and you're right TD.

I'd rather put our faith in the younger guys who may (or may not) surprise us. At the very least, guys like Everitt will learn on the biggest stage. Playing Hahn as a KPD does smack of desperation, in that we're hoping experience somehow drags us over the line. I'd rather play Everitt as a third tall down back and bring in Hooper as a small, defensive forward.

Note: It's worth mentioning that Hahn has been very costly in two tight games this year in defensive stoppages. Fisher and Hodge both booted match winning goals whilst he was standing by himself.

Rocco Jones
01-09-2010, 08:22 PM
I totally agree with you TD but sadly, Rocket doesn't.

When it comes to Eade and co., older simply means you're better. In times of desperation, he is even more conservative. I would be pleasantly stunned if Hahn was dropped and even more pleasantly stunned if he succeeds.

Greystache
01-09-2010, 08:49 PM
If I were a betting man I'd put the house on Hahn lining up in defence on Saturday night.

Greystache
01-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Note: It's worth mentioning that Hahn has been very costly in two tight games this year in defensive stoppages. Fisher and Hodge both booted match winning goals whilst he was standing by himself.

As was Matthew Boyd, Hodge's direct opponent. The same as 5 minutes earlier when Mitchell was left free to kick a goal by his direct opponent Daniel Cross. Clearly they both thought they could do more damage getting a clearance in the back pocket than their opponent could do 10 metres from goal. Says a lot about their current priorities.

SonofScray
01-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Said the same thing to my dad. It is Welsh all over again, and probably shows just how limited Rocket's "bag of tricks" is. I think he is a sound planner and manager but when it comes to match day brilliance from the box, we've been found wanting a bit. Can't imagine Rocket pulling something out like Plough did v the Bombers etc.

Very conservative, selections are far too predictable.

Rocco Jones
01-09-2010, 09:00 PM
Said the same thing to my dad. It is Welsh all over again, and probably shows just how limited Rocket's "bag of tricks" is. I think he is a sound planner and manager but when it comes to match day brilliance from the box, we've been found wanting a bit. Can't imagine Rocket pulling something out like Plough did v the Bombers etc.

Cue copious amounts of alcohol pre game.

SonofScray
01-09-2010, 09:19 PM
Cue copious amounts of alcohol pre game.

Will be required. A very nervous build up, wondering if the same things that haven't done it for us in the past, get us over in 2010. Part of me was hoping a few blokes stayed injured etc to force the issue and make the changes but circumstances just have not allowed it.

So a few to loosen up and relive 2009 in hope of a nice twist at the end.

Bulldog Joe
01-09-2010, 09:22 PM

I think it is a little different.

Mitch actually started out as a defender and is more than a pinch hitter. He plays tall and goes ok one on one with the right match up.

He has really been a forward of convenience over the journey to plug a hole.

Rocco Jones
01-09-2010, 09:31 PM
His lack of pace and mobility really hurt him at both ends.

Forward pressure is enormous in modern day footy and Mitch really struggles to get near his opponents.

I think his lack of pace will also really hurt him down back.

If Hahn was the same player but a few inches taller fans would be having a go about how immobile and slow he is. He is just like an immobile, slow tall player just that he is missing the height.

chef
01-09-2010, 09:38 PM
He started the year so well too, but seems to have not recovered from Hall smashing him in the preseason.

Mantis
01-09-2010, 10:12 PM
Who should we play in defence instead of him?

Options I see would be Everitt, Tiller, Markovic or Boumann.

Make your choice....

Hotdog60
01-09-2010, 10:16 PM
This maybe a very stupid idea, but....

Could Mitch play in the centre, coming off the bench in short bursts to give the mids a breather and with the sole purpose to crash the pack at stoppages and try and get the ball to the outside runners.

Just a thought..:o

Rocco Jones
01-09-2010, 10:18 PM
This maybe a very stupid idea, but....

Could Mitch play in the centre, coming off the bench in short bursts to give the mids a breather and with the sole purpose to crash the pack at stoppages and try and get the ball to the outside runners.

Just a thought..:o

'Coming off the bench'? Bench players are long gone in the modern game. Anyone who plays less than 70% is really placing a burden on the rest of the team.

Hotdog60
01-09-2010, 10:19 PM
'Coming off the bench'? Bench players are long gone in the modern game. Anyone who plays less than 70% is really placing a burden on the rest of the team.

Sorry, I'm an old fashion supporter and habits are hard to change:)

Rocco Jones
01-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Sorry, I'm an old fashion supporter and habits are hard to change:)

I read my reply, I am sorry if I came across as insulting (I think I can do that and actually really dislike make posters feel uncomfortable about offering different suggestions). I can actually see the logic behind your suggestion, just that the modern game doesn't really allow for it.

azabob
01-09-2010, 10:33 PM

Make your choice....

Mute point but I think Tiller would be a better option, just hasn't had the game time.

Hotdog60
01-09-2010, 10:33 PM
I read my reply, I am sorry if I came across as insulting (I think I can do that and actually really dislike make posters feel uncomfortable about offering different suggestions). I can actually see the logic behind your suggestion, just that the modern game doesn't really allow for it.

NP, I'm very easy going and somebody would have to be down right insulting to the point of verbal abuse to upset me, I threw it out there and you gave me your opinion which everyone is entitle to do. That's what forums are about.:D

P.S. the only reason I went down that track was OP couldn't see any value down back or up forward and that only left in the centre as he looks like staying in the side as the general consensus is the MC like him.

comrade
01-09-2010, 10:41 PM

Make your choice....

One player went back with the flight twice against Geelong and took goal saving marks even though we were getting pumped.

The other got towelled up by Leigh Brown.

I choose Everitt.

Every day of the week.

comrade
01-09-2010, 10:43 PM
I think it is a little different.

Mitch actually started out as a defender and is more than a pinch hitter. He plays tall and goes ok one on one with the right match up.

He has really been a forward of convenience over the journey to plug a hole.

Leigh Brown is his ideal match up and he still got beaten :o

Mitch ain't a defender. Hell, it's line ball if he's even an AFL standard footballer these days.

Rocco Jones
01-09-2010, 10:44 PM
One player went back with the flight twice against Geelong and took goal saving marks even though we were getting pumped.

Everitt.

Every day of the week.

And the next week Dre was dropped.

Eade doesn't rate his intensity. I think he has bigger issues with confidence. Being dropped at any possible chance obviously can destroy a player's confidence as well as their motivation.

I think confidence is especially important for a player with Dre's inbetweener attributes. Can be the difference between being too tall or mobile and being too small or slow.

Mantis
02-09-2010, 07:22 AM

I choose Everitt.

Every day of the week.

He was playing on a first gamer.

Leigh Brown might be a spud, but he is also a physically strong player who would throw Everitt around like a rag doll.

Desipura
02-09-2010, 09:41 AM

Leigh Brown might be a spud, but he is also a physically strong player who would throw Everitt around like a rag doll.
I was going to say, playing on Menzel he looked a lot bigger and stronger as opposed to playing on Brown.

comrade
02-09-2010, 09:45 AM

He did the same thing to Hahn.

With Morris out, the MC are going to pick the least worst option which in their view (I suspect) seems to be Hahn, but I don't know why.

Both Everitt and Hahn will struggle to break even defensively if pitted against a decent forward. Another string to their bow is required so they actually have some value in a tight final.

Andrejs is mobile enough to move up the ground and deliver cleanly in to the forward 50. He can also give a chop out in the ruck and give a tall leading option if required.

Unfortunately, Mitch can only be thrown forward and then, he doesn't improve the speed or defensive pressure of our forward line.

I know Everitt had a below par game against Essendon, but he also did some nice things. His errors seem to be magnified and looked at as validation to omit, where others are constantly looked over.

Mantis
02-09-2010, 09:50 AM
He did the same thing to Hahn.

With Morris out, the MC are going to pick the least worst option which in their view (I suspect) seems to be Hahn, but I don't know why.

Both Everitt and Hahn will struggle to break even defensively if pitted against a decent forward. Another string to their bow is required so they actually have some value in a tight final.

Andrejs is mobile enough to move up the ground and deliver cleanly in to the forward 50. He can also give a chop out in the ruck and give a tall leading option if required.

Unfortunately, Mitch can only be thrown forward and then, he doesn't improve the speed or defensive pressure of our forward line.

I know Everitt had a below par game against Essendon, but he also did some nice things. His errors seem to be magnified and looked at as validation to omit, where others are constantly looked over.

Agree that Hahn looks to be the safe option.

Both have flaws in their game, but I too would go with Everitt as there is much more upside to his game, but I'm not sure the MC view it the same.

Desipura
02-09-2010, 09:50 AM
If it is pissing down rain, I would play both Everitt & Hahn and not pick Minson. Everitt to give a chop out to Huddo and wherever else he may be needed and Hahn to play on Brown.

Sedat
02-09-2010, 11:37 AM
And the next week Dre was dropped.

Eade doesn't rate his intensity. I think he has bigger issues with confidence. Being dropped at any possible chance obviously can destroy a player's confidence as well as their motivation.

I think confidence is especially important for a player with Dre's inbetweener attributes. Can be the difference between being too tall or mobile and being too small or slow.
I went to the Round 1 2007 match between the Dogs and Cats with a couple of Geelong mates (the game where Johnno kicked 8 goals). My Geelong mates proceeded to pillory Andrew Mackie at every conceivable opportunity - the rolled eyes and sarcastic comments suggested to me that what he dished out on the day was common-place for him, and to be fair to my mates, Mackie looked apprehensive, unsure and completely lacking in intensity for the whole game. Suffice to say he didn't look that way 5 months later with a premiership medallion draped around his neck and has not looked that way since.

Every game Everitt has played for us, he shows signs that he can be a terrific player for us for many years to come - it is interspersed with poor passages of play to be fair. These snippets make me hope that we do keep him, identify a specific role for him in the team, and see him blossom into a Mackie-like success story. Worth noting that he is only 4 months older than Jarran Grant, being a bottom ager in his draft year.

Having said that, I understand the concept of trading him at strong worth this year if the percpetions of him are that he will never improve his deficiencies significantly enough to make a serious impact at AFL level. I do, however, agree with the assertions that he seems to be marked harder than some of his teamates. Whatever decision is made on Everitt at the end of the season, I hope it is made for the betterment of the team.

Sedat
02-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Mitch shouldn't have an automatic pass into the team but I am assuming he will play this week. With that in mind, I want him nowhere near our forward 50 and would much prefer to see him effectively replacing Morris in our defensive unit.

Moles is the other player that I'm not sold on to add value to the team on Saturday night in a tight final. His awareness is poor at the best of times, let alone in the cauldron of a cut-throat final against the best H&A team of the season. He will add some running power, which we lack in spades with Cooney out and Griffen 50-50 at best, so I think that might save his place in the team this week. I'd personally have one of Moles or Eagleton in the team at any given time, but not both.

Scraggers
02-09-2010, 12:24 PM
If it is pissing down rain, I would play both Everitt & Hahn and not pick Minson. Everitt to give a chop out to Huddo and wherever else he may be needed and Hahn to play on Brown.

Agreed ... As much as I love big Wilbur

Twodogs
02-09-2010, 01:36 PM
I went to the Round 1 2007 match between the Dogs and Cats with a couple of Geelong mates (the game where Johnno kicked 8 goals). My Geelong mates proceeded to pillory Andrew Mackie at every conceivable opportunity - the rolled eyes and sarcastic comments suggested to me that what he dished out on the day was common-place for him, and to be fair to my mates, Mackie looked apprehensive, unsure and completely lacking in intensity for the whole game. Suffice to say he didn't look that way 5 months later with a premiership medallion draped around his neck and has not looked that way since.

Every game Everitt has played for us, he shows signs that he can be a terrific player for us for many years to come - it is interspersed with poor passages of play to be fair. These snippets make me hope that we do keep him, identify a specific role for him in the team, and see him blossom into a Mackie-like success story. Worth noting that he is only 4 months older than Jarran Grant, being a bottom ager in his draft year.

Having said that, I understand the concept of trading him at strong worth this year if the percpetions of him are that he will never improve his deficiencies significantly enough to make a serious impact at AFL level. I do, however, agree with the assertions that he seems to be marked harder than some of his teamates. Whatever decision is made on Everitt at the end of the season, I hope it is made for the betterment of the team.

Well said Sedat. That sums up my thoughts exactly.

LostDoggy
02-09-2010, 03:21 PM
I actually thought he played alright down back last week.
I didn't mind it.

Begin the crucifixion.

LostDoggy
02-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Given the weather he is probably a pretty decent selection.

I also think that Everitt should be given consistent opportunities.

LostDoggy
02-09-2010, 07:16 PM

Agreed.

ReLoad
02-09-2010, 07:45 PM

yeah but how many opportunities do you give him?

what was his excuse in the bombers game? ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING was in his favour, a crap opponent, license to do as he pleased, you couldn't have given him more opportunity and he totally stuffed it up.

Now i'm not saying that we should base his whole career with us on this one game, but he has had a few opportunities now.

Like others I am in awe of him when things are going right, that magpies game last year was superb, but he cannot command the game at Williamstown, and the opportunities in the seniors he has had haven't worked.

So my question back is, So how long do we give him?

he is out of contract at the end of next year and will be worth nothing to us, whereas this year he has some value.

We bag the match committee this year for not making hard decisions around the senior citizens we have, so how about the make a tough call here? will we all cry "oh no they are too heavy handed"?

I know what my decision would be.

LostDoggy
02-09-2010, 08:12 PM

Gott agree, more of the same served up at the MCG rhis time in front of half as many again people though. Do not want to be embarrassing in front of such a crowd. :(

BulldogBelle
02-09-2010, 08:14 PM
I actually thought he played alright down back last week.
I didn't mind it.

Begin the crucifixion.

I thought so too. Hopefully he is getting back to better form after a couple of injuries during the year.
Go Mitch.

ratsmac
02-09-2010, 10:16 PM

Yep. I agree totally. Hahn maybe slow, but with the forcast I believe that he will be a very important player. He has had an indifferent season with the arrival of Bazza, he looks out of place now, but come Saturday night I think (hope) we'll see a hungry determined Hahn out on the 'G'.
I'm more unsettled with Johnno in the team with his suspect achilles. I hope we don't see him on the bench after 1 and half Qtrs. I love Johnno, but with a 50-50 Griffen, a ???? Higgins and Johnno running around on bald tyres, gee, I hope there isn't a blow out if you know what I mean.
Either way I will be there on Saturday night giving my all rain hail or shine so I expect nothing less from the boys in red white and blue.

azabob
03-09-2010, 06:44 PM
When is Hahn out of contract?

BulldogBelle
03-09-2010, 09:02 PM
This year I believe

KT31
04-09-2010, 06:03 PM
This year I believe

Is he eligible for the veterans list ?
Only way I can see him staying is a pay cut and veterans list.
We will have a spot available with the Eagle and possibly Johnno next season.