PDA

View Full Version : Please don't pick injured players!

SquirrelGrip
02-09-2010, 11:54 AM
So tonight we see the 25 from whom we get the final 22. Whilst I would love to see Griff bound down the wing of the G taking 7 bounces and for Johnno to kick the winning goal, the worst thing we could possibly do is play anyone who is not close to 100%

History is littered with the disasters of finals past when clubs and coaches thought their champions playing at 80% were worth the risk.

What we need is 100% commitment to a successful gameplan and players who can run it out. This week is our best opportunity for a win in the finals series, even without so-called "stars". Please Rocket, don't pick the injured players!

bornadog
02-09-2010, 12:09 PM
I think all teams play injured players, especially towards the end of the year.

Sedat
02-09-2010, 12:14 PM
This.

Would we have not wanted Dale Morris out there in last year's finals series? Or Cooney drawing the opposition's best tagger in 2008 thereby allowing Griffen to cut loose? Coaches rightly will roll the dice if the injured player is considered critical to a specific role.

Scraggers
02-09-2010, 12:14 PM

^^^ This

Its impossible to get to this point with out having players play that are not 100%

BulldogBelle
02-09-2010, 12:18 PM
It's not that simple. Lake isn't 100% but we'd be doomed without him. Morris played in extreme pain last year but he was brilliant all finals. If we didn't risk injured players, we'd have a reserves team out there.

SquirrelGrip
02-09-2010, 12:53 PM
No, but in relations to Griffen, Johnson and Higgins, there is a much stronger argument to exclude them from this week.

Johnson and Higgins have had such dire seasons because they've tried to play when they shouldn't have. They have let down the team, aggravated their injuries and not played anywhere close to their potential.

Johnno came back, played a few good games then couldn't sustain it. We have to prepare him to be fit for a preliminary final and grand final. I can't see him coping with more than 2 games out 3 or 4. Higgins should have packed up his gear a month ago and started focusing on 2011. Anything who thinks his only problem is thyroid-related is kidding themselves.

I'd love to have Griff out there, but feel the risk outweighs the benefit to play this

In particular, for players who need to run and can't go flat out, they are exposed to easily.

Cyberdoggie
02-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Higgins should have packed up his gear a month ago and started focusing on 2011. Anything who thinks his only problem is thyroid-related is kidding themselves.

I'm not sure I am getting your point exactly. Are you saying that there is something else wrong with Higgins?, ie his Calf injury? or something else?

From all reports he ran out the vfl game well last week getting 30 odd touches (even if a lot of them were easy ones). I think Higgins problem has definately been related to the thyroid issue. He's lost weight, looks slower than normal and doesn't have the energy to chase. Now that the doctors know what's going on i'm quite sure they will know if he's right to play, and i think he can offer us something in the finals. The only doubt i have over him is his lack of match fitness due to this ailment and soft tissue injuries he had.

With potentially Griffen and Cooney out, we need some classy ball users, and he does have that potential.

Johnno on the other hand i think is a liability, especially against Collingwood. They will exploit his lack of defensive pressure. I think we can't afford to have him play this week regardless.

A large part of stopping Collingwood this week is for our forwards to hunt them down and put pressure on their running backmen. Unfortunately we suck at this. :(

SquirrelGrip
02-09-2010, 01:41 PM
The only doubt i have over him is his lack of match fitness due to this ailment and soft tissue injuries he had.

With potentially Griffen and Cooney out, we need some classy ball users, and he does have that potential.

Johnno on the other hand i think is a liability, especially against Collingwood. They will exploit his lack of defensive pressure. I think we can't afford to have him play this week regardless.

A large part of stopping Collingwood this week is for our forwards to hunt them down and put pressure on their running backmen. Unfortunately we suck at this. :(

Higgins' skills have been down this year. His propensity to soft tissue injuries has reduced his speed, his confidence, and his ability. A fully fit Higgins is a fantastic addition to our team, but in the state he's in, he lacks the fitness to provide the hunting defensive pressure we require.

The point about stopping Collingwood's strength (their attacking backline) is that we need full throttle defensive pressure from our forwards and midfield, and that requires fitness, particularly in the pouring rain at the G on a Saturday night.

The St Kilda Prelim Final last year wasn't about skills and classy onball use. It was an arm wrestle where they got lucky at the end. Saturday's our chance to have the luck.