PDA

View Full Version : Crows only have 19 players left to look at 'cos Griff has signed with us. HAH!

Desipura
02-09-2010, 11:51 AM
ADELAIDE has begun ambitious recruiting mission - Target 20.

Armed with half-a-million dollars in salary cap space, Jonathon Griffin and possibly Chris Knights as trade bait, the aggressive Crows have drawn up a hit-list of 20 players they are interested in luring to West Lakes for next year.

These include homegrown stars Matthew Pavlich of Fremantle and Ryan Griffen of the Western Bulldogs, while fellow Croweaters Shannon Hurn (West Coast), Byron Schammer (Fremantle), Will Minson (Western Bulldogs), Lindsay Thomas (North Melbourne) and Sam Jacobs (Carlton) also are understood to be on their recruiting radar.

Entering a new era without retired champions Simon Goodwin, Andrew McLeod and Tyson Edwards, stars Nathan Bock (Gold Coast) and Brett Burton and unlucky forward Trent Hentschel, Adelaide already has started speaking to the managers of the 20 players it has "some interest in".

If midfielder Knights joins key defender Bock and unsettled ruckman Griffin, who is seeking a trade to a WA club, in leaving the West Lakes club then the Crows could sign as many as three players from rival teams.

"We'll push fairly hard," Crows football operations manager Phil Harper said of Adelaide's new, aggressive approach to trading.

"There's about 20 players who we've got half an interest in, so we'll try to be as active as we possibly can. Anyone who is uncontracted and we're keen on we'll be in contact with their managers to find out if there is some interest in them coming to our club.

"The key part there is that they've got to be either unsettled or wanting to leave their club - or have a reason to leave (such as money).

"We freed up a little bit (of money) when Nathan Bock decided to go to the Gold Coast, so I can assure our supporters that we will do our utmost to get the best squad inside the TPP (Total Player Payments) allowance that we can have."

Harper said recruiting manager Matt Rendell has already contacted the managers of several out-of-contract players the Crows are keen on "to see if they are interested in coming to us."

"There's 20 we need to assess, so we'll look at them and then target some from that list," Harper told radio FIVEaa. "The bottom line is we're looking at players who we think could be available and will improve our list."

Adelaide - which is keen to bolster its midfield and secure another ready-made ruckman to replace Griffin and support Ivan Maric - is not restricting its search to South Australians or uncontracted players.

It could secure the contracted Schammer from Fremantle for Griffin while big men Minson and Jacobs could be available for trade after falling out of the ruck pecking order at their clubs.

Dockers captain Pavlich has left the door ajar for a shock return home by refusing to commit to Fremantle, although it is likely he will play out his career in the west. Gold Coast also is in the hunt for his services.

Griffen remains undecided about his future, with several Victorian clubs, including cashed-up Essendon, throwing big dollars at him. His management has indicated he wants to remain in Victoria.

Harper said negotiations with Knights were "ongoing" with the talented left-footer yet to indicate where he wants to play his football.

Scraggers
02-09-2010, 12:14 PM
this sounds like what Brisbane tried to do this year ... Instant Footy Team (just add water).

Like any successful club, thety need to go through a rebuilding phase, unfortunatley for the Crows, this should have happened two years ago when they knew their stars were reaching the end of their tether. They are making the same mistake the Eagles did by trying to replace star footballers with understudys.

And by the way, keep your hands off our Griff and Wilbur

mighty_west
02-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Minson is an interesting case, Roughead has been selected a few times now ahead of Will, but you'd hate for something to happen to either Huddo or Roughead next season [touch wood] if we got rid of Will, Cordy is still developing, Prado as well and Everitt looks to be on the outer.

Besides, Will has already stated that he wants nothing of going back to SA and much prefer to keep him over a Jonathon Griffin any day of the week.

Mantis
02-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Besides, Will has already stated that he wants nothing of going back to SA and much prefer to keep him over a Jonathon Griffin any day of the week.

But if we were able to add someone to our team with some pace and good footskills would you be interested?

mighty_west
02-09-2010, 12:44 PM
But if we were able to add someone to our team with some pace and good footskills would you be interested?

Only if we had a DECENT back up ruckman in case of injury or suspension, we saw what happened at the Hawks when they had to rely on Hodge & Roughead to do some ruckwork!

Desipura
02-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Like Knights?

Sockeye Salmon
02-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Like Knights?

I can't see Minson getting us Knights, somehow.

KT31
02-09-2010, 03:30 PM

What about Minson and a fringe player (DFA,Tiller etc) ?

Throughandthrough
02-09-2010, 03:33 PM

the Crows are absolutely desperate for a ruckmen

mighty_west
02-09-2010, 03:34 PM

Not as a direct swap, but, these days most deals revolve around 3 or 4 clubs exchanging draft picks etc etc, Hill & Everitt are a couple of players that could be used as trade bait who could also be used in such deals.

That said, i'm not so much against getting rid of Minson, i'd just hate to not have some kind of decent back up, and a player like Griffin for instance i put in the same category as Mark Blake, dopey big blokes thats do bugger all apart from look big.

mighty_west
02-09-2010, 03:35 PM
the Crows are absolutely desperate for a ruckmen

Speaks volumes about Griffins qualities if he's on the table!!

Sockeye Salmon
02-09-2010, 04:04 PM
What about Minson and a fringe player (DFA,Tiller etc) ?

It still doesn't work like that. You can add as many duds as you like but it still doesn't equal a good player.

Mofra
02-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Ryan Griffen is now out of reach :)

The Bulldogs Bite
02-09-2010, 04:42 PM
If we (effectively) got Knights for Minson, I'd be doing cartwheels for six months until the season starts.

The way the game is headed, two ruckman isn't essential. I'd rather have the trio of Hudson, Roughead and Everitt as opposed to Hudson, Roughead and Minson if it meant we could secure Knights.

We'd probably need to draft a mature aged ruck, but if Adelaide are interested in Minson then I'd be actively speaking with them.

LostDoggy
02-09-2010, 04:46 PM
If we (effectively) got Knights for Minson, I'd be doing cartwheels for six months until the season starts.

The way the game is headed, two ruckman isn't essential. I'd rather have the trio of Hudson, Roughead and Everitt as opposed to Hudson, Roughead and Minson if it meant we could secure Knights.

We'd probably need to draft a mature aged ruck, but if Adelaide are interested in Minson then I'd be actively speaking with them.

Everitt is not a ruckman

Bulldog Joe
02-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Ryan Griffen is now out of reach :)

That is a big positive.

I would like Minson to be retained as well. He is just ready to play his best football after a horror season.

If you look at the Hawthorn game, he started sensationally but did the ankle before qtr time (I think).

Hudson has only a year or two left and we need Big Will to impose himself and take over from the Beard.

LostDoggy
02-09-2010, 05:06 PM

They would take that in a minute. He's going anyway

Their rucks are poor (Maric is soft) and they're losing Griffin. Moran is not up to it even if fit and Mc Kernan is a long way away.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Everitt is not a ruckman

He can fill a role as this has been discussed at length earlier this year.

A lot of sides are beginning to only have the one 'true' ruckman.

Take a look at Rocco's posts and it'll be explained thoroughly

The Coon Dog
02-09-2010, 05:11 PM
Can the Mods please change the thread title to 'Crows now looking at 19 players'. ;)

Hotdog60
02-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Rougheads shoulder's concern me will he be able to put in a full season? So Will maybe needed.

comrade
02-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Now I'm getting my hopes up that we could possibly get Knights. :o

Perfect replacement for Johnno/Aker.

craigsahibee
02-09-2010, 08:34 PM

But Minson and our compensation pick for Harbrow if he goes may get the Crows interested. I would like to state here and now that I do not want Will to go.

Mantis
02-09-2010, 08:46 PM
But Minson and our compensation pick for Harbrow if he goes may get the Crows interested. I would like to state here and now that I do not want Will to go.

These picks (hopefully) can't be used this year.

chef
02-09-2010, 08:52 PM

According to Fantasia on 3AW tonight(and stolen from TBFB, thanks)

IF YOU RECEIVED A FIRST ROUND SELECTION FOR HARBROW WOULD YOU USE IT NOW OR LATER?

It is an interesting scenario if you would use it or hold it. Losing a player like Harbrow certainly hurts you in the short term because you cannot adequately replace instantly with a draft selection. But in the mid term you can get some benefit, because if you use your first round draft selection when the draft gets back to normal, there is every chance of picking up a quality 200 game player.

Go_Dogs
02-09-2010, 08:53 PM
Now I'm getting my hopes up that we could possibly get Knights. :o

Perfect replacement for Johnno/Aker.

Agreed. Pretty handy forward flanker who could also play as a goal kicking wing and rotate through the middle.

He projects as a good player and finished 09 strongly but hasn't really had a huge break out season and was cut down by injuries this year.

I certainly wouldn't mind us looking at him, and if he is keen to move back to Melbourne it could give us some more bargaining power.

Interesting one. Gut feel he ends up at Richmond or Essendon.

Sockeye Salmon
02-09-2010, 09:36 PM

Or we can just insist on the pick 26 they get from GC for Bock.

Desipura
03-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Yes they can be used

Mantis
03-09-2010, 09:55 AM
Yes they can be used

Yep, that's what is being reported.

I think what type of compenasation you receive determines when you can use them. ie. If you receive 2 first rd picks as compenastion (which Geelong may receive for Ablett, and we may do also for Harbrow - One of these picks is immediately after your 1st pick in the draft and the other at the end of the 1st rd) I am reasonably sure that you can't use them this year. What has to happen is that you have to nominate at the start of the year when you would like to use them and it would be beneficial to do so when you believe you will have an 'off' year to maximise the advantage given.

Clubs who receive the 2 picks would be stupid to use them this year & next with the all the raping & pillaging GC and GWS will do to do these drafts.

Throughandthrough
03-09-2010, 10:03 AM
Clubs who receive the 2 picks would be stupid to use them this year & next with the all the raping & pillaging GC and GWS will do to do these drafts.

Yeah, but how many coaches/football departments would have the Kahunas to do something that may benefit their team in three years time when they could get "something" now....

Desipura
03-09-2010, 10:46 AM
With Aker and Johnno most likely to retire at seasons end, we lose a fair bit of experience in our forward line. Our window can still be firmly open if we were to get a Knights and say an Alwn Davey as an example. (Its not as if they are short term solutions either).

Or we could wait 2-3 years to use pur picks, in which time we have to replace the likes of Gilbee, Hudson, Lake, Hargrave and Hall.
In the interim we will get Libba & Wallis, neither addressing our weaknesses. I would be inclined to use at least one of our Harbrow picks (assuming he leaves) to get a Chris Knights type.

soupman
03-09-2010, 11:09 AM
Speaks volumes about Griffins qualities if he's on the table!!

Griffin has requested to return to WA for personal reasons. Adelaide hasn't placed him on the trade table by choice, however I'm tipping they aren't too dissapointed with his decision.

mighty_west
03-09-2010, 12:07 PM

I think what type of compenasation you receive determines when you can use them. ie. If you receive 2 first rd picks as compenastion (which Geelong may receive for Ablett, and we may do also for Harbrow - One of these picks is immediately after your 1st pick in the draft and the other at the end of the 1st rd) I am reasonably sure that you can't use them this year. What has to happen is that you have to nominate at the start of the year when you would like to use them and it would be beneficial to do so when you believe you will have an 'off' year to maximise the advantage given.

Are clubs going to be so patient to wait 4 or 5 years though to use those picks though?

The other issue is that next year this all happens again with GWS, and picking the eyes out of clubs by taking an uncontrated, we can all see that they won't just be dud players, and if the clubs have to wait, say with Geelong and Ablett, surely they will get 2 first rounders, to wait to use after their first pick and at the end of the first round, after 2011 is when you'd think most clubs will start using those picks....but then you'd also have to wait for those other clubs to start using all these picks as well which in effect also pushes back clubs picks who finish high up on the ladder, so there are also going to be issues with not being able to use those picks as high as possble.

You would think that most clubs will want to pounce in the 2012 draft, and clubs that do finish high up, will still have to wait to use their first pick as well as the compo picks anyway, so team that finish top 4, wil most likely have their first pick & comp picks after that in the 20's anyway [depending on how many use their picks in the first round that year], and to use their second compo pick after round 1, which in any normal draft both or all compo selections be as high as a 2nd round pick anyway.

Mofra
03-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Can the Mods please change the thread title to 'Crows now looking at 19 players'. ;)
:) I endorse this proposal :)

Re: Minson - do we knwo Minson's manager is shopping him around? He was pushed out of the side by a 19 year old with no pre-season (yes I know Minno's was interrupted too) and last week Roughy was selected ahead of him.

I'd prefer to have 3 decent rucks on the list for back up and knowing Roughy/Hudson are unlikely to play 22 games each, but if he wants to go and we can get a good deal for him I'd consider it. We don't have too many irreplaceable players at the Kennel and everyone else could be considered.

LostDoggy
03-09-2010, 01:03 PM
As much as I love him, I think we could generally cover Minson leaving. Looks promising if we were to get a decent pickup from it as Adelaide would be desperate for a number one ruck.

LostDoggy
03-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Does anyone find it ironic that they traded The Beard away to us, and now want Minnow because they are short on ruck stocks?

As a wise man on WOOF likes to say: trading is the work of the devil.

comrade
03-09-2010, 05:16 PM
As a wise man on WOOF likes to say: trading is the work of the devil.

Don't suck up now :D

LostDoggy
03-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Don't suck up now :D

I totally forgot to put "wise" in quotations.

Twodogs
03-09-2010, 05:36 PM

:) I endorse this proposal :)

Done!

Go_Dogs
03-09-2010, 06:47 PM

I think what type of compenasation you receive determines when you can use them. ie. If you receive 2 first rd picks as compenastion (which Geelong may receive for Ablett, and we may do also for Harbrow

How certain are you that the compensation for Harbrow will be as above?

Given the Crows are likely to only get a singular 1st round selection for Bock it seems likely we'll get the same or worse.

Whilst Harbrow has some runs on the board he's still not an AA player, nor a B&F winner or place getter. I tend to think the coin he gets will be lower than what Bock has signed on for (which I've seen touted as being the new, simplified formula for compensation, although I have not seen anything of substance to that end)

azabob
03-09-2010, 06:59 PM
How certain are you that the compensation for Harbrow will be as above?

Given the Crows are likely to only get a singular 1st round selection for Bock it seems likely we'll get the same or worse.

Whilst Harbrow has some runs on the board he's still not an AA player, nor a B&F winner or place getter. I tend to think the coin he gets will be lower than what Bock has signed on for (which I've seen touted as being the new, simplified formula for compensation, although I have not seen anything of substance to that end)

I tend to think the same, only thing in our favour is Harbrows age. Perhaps something like what port got for Nathan Krakour is more in line.

Go_Dogs
03-09-2010, 07:25 PM
I tend to think the same, only thing in our favour is Harbrows age. Perhaps something like what port got for Nathan Krakour is more in line.

I'd be hoping for more than a 3rd round selection in a compromised draft!

But something in the 2nd round is not out of the AFL's WTF realm of possibility, and that may be something around 35 or 40. Bastards.

I'd certainly be wanting at least a 1st round pick personally. Perhaps something like a 1st and a throwaway 3rd round could be right. If I were the Crows I'd at least be pushing for something like that too rather than just a singular 1st round pick at 25 or 28 or whatever...