PDA

View Full Version : Dean Laidley's Preview

The Coon Dog
04-09-2010, 09:38 AM
Dean Laidley - The Age - 4 September

THE Bulldogs have had a horrendous month, starting with the team being overcome with the flu in Adelaide in round 19 but coming away with a great win. On the other hand, the Pies have had a great run with injury. They couldn't have planned it any better. But the clouds are rolling in and it looks like it might be very wet, which may just even up the contest. I can imagine Rodney Eade and the boys doing a rain dance all day today!

A lot of things have changed in football, but some remain the same and are just tinkered with. I have watched the Malthouse style of play evolve over many years. Mick has strong beliefs in the style of exiting wide from defence with runners. Heath Shaw and Harry O'Brien use the outer corridor, hit the 50-metre logos, with strong lead-up target Travis Cloke creating a vacuum of space behind for the very dynamic Dane Swan, Alan Didak, Scott Pendlebury, Dale Thomas and Sharrod Wellingham to cut into, or going deep to a strong marking target. I remember seeing this many years ago at West Coast. The additions of Darren Jolly and Luke Ball have given the Pies' midfield the ability to bash and crash against the best.

Article in full... (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/the-game-dogs-v-pies-20100903-14ued.html)