PDA

View Full Version : Semi Final - WOOF Selection Table

becmatty
04-09-2010, 10:58 PM
Owch. Lets move on.

Thank God for the second chance. We may need a 3rd, 4th or 10th chance, at this rate...

In: Wood, Hooper, Everitt, Moles
Out: Hahn, Minson, Addison, Callan

Lift!!!: Johnno, Gia, Hargreave, Gilbee, Higgins, Ward, Harbrow, Eagleton...

comrade
04-09-2010, 11:02 PM
If Eagleton plays next week, the MC deserve a bucket tipped on them. 11 touches in a defensive role against Sidebottom, who had 20 touches and kicked 3 goals.

Rance Fan
04-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Addison and Callan?

Least they created a contest and they minimised some damage.

Out - Higgins,Hahn, Minson, Eagleton and Johnno - too slow and no impact
In - Everitt, Wood, Roughead,Moles, Jones

The Pie Man
04-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Can't agree on the Addison and Callan calls becmatty, they were both ok tonight in my view. Thank god the filth are holding it in at Jolimont ATM, wish this train would hurry the ....up

becmatty
04-09-2010, 11:15 PM
Can't agree on the Addison and Callan calls becmatty, they were both ok tonight in my view. Thank god the filth are holding it in at Jolimont ATM, wish this train would hurry the ....up

They were "ok" at best, but nowhere near good enough. Its virtually eeny, meeny, minee, mo for most of the team - you could mount a case for 15 of them to be replaced.

On the balance of it, I think they both will be axed.

Dry Rot
04-09-2010, 11:17 PM
Addison and Callan?

Agreed on what I've seen.

becmatty
04-09-2010, 11:17 PM
Addison and Callan?

Out - Higgins,Hahn, Minson, Eagleton and Johnno - too slow and no impact
In - Everitt, Wood, Roughead,Moles, Jones

Roughead won't be ready unfortunately.

Minson cannot stay however - I'd rather go with Ace Cordy or the ruckman at Gisborne.

comrade
04-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Rocket endorsed Johnno and said he'll play if he's fit enough.

FFS.

Dry Rot
04-09-2010, 11:21 PM
Rocket endorsed Johnno and said he'll play if he's fit enough.

FFS.

With decisions like that, I wonder if Eade's position will be re-examined after our last game next week.

Rance Fan
04-09-2010, 11:22 PM
If Rougheads out - i guess Everitt to backup in the ruck.

I reckon Callan had the better of Davis - there was a whole post on the danger of Davis against us, i reckon he did his job and stopped him

becmatty
04-09-2010, 11:25 PM
If Rougheads out - i guess Everitt to backup in the ruck.

I reckon Callan had the better of Davis - there was a whole post on the danger of Davis against us, i reckon he did his job and stopped him

Davis and Callan should both be in the VFL.

Greystache
04-09-2010, 11:28 PM
Out- Johnson, Higgins, Eagleton, Hargrave, Gilbee
In- Everitt, Jones, Moles, Wood, Hooper

comrade
04-09-2010, 11:32 PM
Out- Johnson, Higgins, Eagleton, Hargrave, Gilbee
In- Everitt, Jones, Moles, Wood, Hooper

Happy with that.

Grant was woeful but he has credits in the bank and will take us forward. Of the experienced guys, Higgins was our worst tonight, closely followed by Eagleton.

Let's find out what our kids are made of.

LostDoggy
04-09-2010, 11:32 PM
If Eagleton plays next week, the MC deserve a bucket tipped on them. 11 touches in a defensive role against Sidebottom, who had 20 touches and kicked 3 goals.

Here, here. But throw Johnson in there too.

The Pie Man
04-09-2010, 11:34 PM
I'm reading Hall will face MRP scrutiny for a biff on Harry O, Jones may win a reprieve. Was dissappointed he didn't play tonight honestly.

Scorlibo
04-09-2010, 11:48 PM
Addison represents everything that is wrong with the side at the moment, stop start play, no ingenuity or dare, thinking only of where the next kick is going.

Out: Addison.
In: Wood.

Rance Fan
04-09-2010, 11:58 PM
Davis and Callan should both be in the VFL.

3/4 of the team should be in the VFL

mighty_west
05-09-2010, 12:05 AM
In : Everitt, Hooper, Jones, Wood

Out : Minson, Johnson, Hahn, Callan

The Coon Dog
05-09-2010, 12:09 AM
Owch. Lets move on.

Thank God for the second chance. We may need a 3rd, 4th or 10th chance, at this rate...

I'm surprised no one has commented on this; again. Becmatty, do you deliberately spell Hargrave's name wrong? You seem to do it all the time.

On topic, I want to drop Johnno, Hahn, Ward, Addison & Minson as I felt they offered us nothing tonight. Neither did Grant, but his form's been OK of late.
I'm not sure the MC will drop 5 players, but if they did who comes in? I suppose the likely ones are Wood, Jones, Everitt & Moles along with Hooper & Hill.

The Pie Man
05-09-2010, 12:20 AM
I'm reading Hall will face MRP scrutiny for a biff on Harry O, Jones may win a reprieve. Was dissappointed he didn't play tonight honestly.

Sorry for quoting myself - I've just got home and saw the 'highlights' on the AFL website - I was reading on the Fox Sports site and some Herald Sun twitter stuff (Clarky?) that were convinced Hall would be in MRP trouble - nothing in it on the vision I saw (I was sitting in the Olympic and didn't see it at the time)

On thread topic - I would

Drop Hahn for Wood
Drop Johnson for Hooper
Drop Eagleton for Hill

If Ward is hurt, I'd bring in Dre.

Maybe 25% of the above will happen, and in no particular order

LostDoggy
05-09-2010, 12:22 AM
Heard Roughead on SEN this morning, said he will be ready for next week.

Mantis
05-09-2010, 12:26 AM
In: Wood, Jones, Everitt

Out: Hahn, Eagleton, Johnson or Higgins - take your pick.

LostDoggy
05-09-2010, 12:27 AM
Out: Hahn, Eagleton, maybe Callan
In: Everitt, Wood (if fit)

On a side note i thought the only real positive from tonights game was Griffen. 30+ disposals and a couple of goals, and considering he was only 50/50 to play says a lot about how poorly we played tonight.

There were however a lot of cons:

1) I thought Eade coached poorly tonight. Why he left Maxwell unmanned for most of the game is beyond me. Should have given Higgins more time in the middle, cos he wasn't getting it up forward.

2). As much as it saddens me to say it, i think Johnno's done. Got outbodied and fumbled far too often.

3). Eagleton & Hahn. Another final, another dud performance from both.

4). Higgins is severely underdone. Looked extremely slow. Needs to get his body right over the pre season.

5). Midfield was beaten badly

6). Delivery to forwards was atrocious. Bombing it in randomly isn't going to win us anything.

7). Calan Ward can't kick a footy straight to save his life. Yes, he's tough as nails and wins the contested ball, but all thats no good if you can't kick it once you get the thing.

Rocco Jones
05-09-2010, 12:27 AM
In: Wood, Jones, Everitt

Out: Hahn, Eagleton, Johnson or Higgins - take your pick.

I would love those changes but does anyone think he is any real chance that Eade and co will even drop one experienced player?

Scorlibo
05-09-2010, 12:28 AM
I'm surprised no one has commented on this; again. Becmatty, do you deliberately spell Hargrave's name wrong? You seem to do it all the time.

On topic, I want to drop Johnno, Hahn, Ward, Addison & Minson as I felt they offered us nothing tonight. Neither did Grant, but his form's been OK of late.
I'm not sure the MC will drop 5 players, but if they did who comes in? I suppose the likely ones are Wood, Everitt & Moles along with Hooper & Hill.

I saw Ward as one of our better players TCD, can't believe you want to drop him. Also surprised Higgins isn't among your outs, as he was unbelievably poor (although the match up on Harry O was terrible).

As for the potential ins, only Wood, Everitt and Moles are a realistic chance of giving the team more than the men they are replacing could. In fact Wood is the only one of the five who I would back to be above our worst 5 players at our next outing.

comrade
05-09-2010, 12:30 AM
I would love those changes but does anyone think he is any real chance that Eade and co will even drop one experienced player?

If Eade was being straight up after the game, Johnson will play.

I'll spew up if Grant gets the knife.

Rocco Jones
05-09-2010, 12:33 AM
If Eade was being straight up after the game, Johnson will play.

I'll spew up if Grant gets the knife.

My faith in the MC is very low but SURELY they wouldn't do that?

Thank god we only signed Rocket to a two year deal last season.

LostDoggy
05-09-2010, 12:36 AM
Out- Hahn, Higgins, Minno, Eagles
In- Roughie/Wood, Everitt, Moles, Jones.

I think they can all offer more than what those 4 players did tonight. Callan and Addison stay in because they were out there trying, and Callan did well keeping Davis out of it when they were on each other. Rough or Wood in depending on who's available. Johnno to stay in because its Johnno..he won't be dropped now, and as much as I don't want to say goodbye, the season could be his last.

Dazza
05-09-2010, 12:37 AM
Out: Johnson, Hahn, Higgins, Minson, Eagleton

In: Everitt, Moles, Roughead, Jones, Wood

If Johnno, Hahn & Higgins play next week well... :o:o:o

Raw Toast
05-09-2010, 12:59 AM
In: Everitt, Roughhead, Moles, Wood

Out: Hahn, Minson, Eagleton, Higgins

Hahn can't play forward at the moment and was a liability down back. I think Minson will be better next year after a proper pre-season (his theyroiditis was more than double Higgins' and we've seen what it's done to Higgins). Eagleton can't hurt very good sides at the moment. Higgins cannot be carried imo - play him at Williamstown and see how much he can improve re acceleration over the next couple of weeks.

Johnson will be better for the run and I think we need him if we want to get back to playing our pre-flu form.

Everitt comes in for his versatility - I actually thought he went ok after stuffing up early last week and we need his kicking skills and ability to roam around the ground (not that the MC necessarily see it this way!). Roughhead comes in for Minson as long as he is right to go. Otherwise I'd still be tempted to go with just one ruck with Everitt this time spending some time in the ruck. Moles comes in for Eagleton because he will work both ways and Wood in for Higgins.

I'd also consider dropping one of Callan and Addison for Hooper so that we can look a bit more lively up forward.

This season ain't over despite tonight's debacle, and every move made should still be with a view to winning now imo.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-09-2010, 01:06 AM
Thank god we only signed Rocket to a two year deal last season.

He's got a year to run?

G-Mo77
05-09-2010, 02:02 AM
Heard Roughead on SEN this morning, said he will be ready for next week.

As much as I'd love him to come back I'd rather go with Minno. Roughead is going to be a gun for us for many years. I'd hate to shorten his career by playing him to early after another couple of shoulder subluxations.

The talk on the radio was the Williams was the only significant injury of the game. Something that happened in the first quarter? I thought he was pretty good tonight. I'd hate for him to go down.

Anyway I'll have a bash.

In: Wood, Everitt, Hill (Hooper a smokey)
Out: Hahn, Eagleton, ???

Not sure on that last one. Williams could miss with injury and I believe Ward took a pretty bad blow on the arm who maybe in some doubt next week as well.

lemmon
05-09-2010, 03:10 AM
In- Wood, Everitt, Moles, Roughead
Out- Hahn, Minson (pathetic, I have never been more dissapointed), Eagleton, Higgins

MrMahatma
05-09-2010, 03:16 AM
With decisions like that, I wonder if Eade's position will be re-examined after our last game next week.
Individual over team. The bulldogs way. He'll probably get a contract extension for playing Johno cause he's 'such a nice guy'.

FWIW. I would draw a line in the sand:

Out: Johno (retired) Hahn (Delisted) Minson (Shopped around), Hargrave, Higgins (not fit, see you in 2011), Eagle (Retire)
In: Moles, Everitt, Hill, Jones, Wood, Roughead

And with Wallis & Libba coming in next year, Cross & Boyd would be put seriously on notice. These blokes may train 100% but sh1t me to tears on game day. Hill gets dropped for a lack of defensive pressure, Everitt gets dropped for turnovers, but these two can do whatever they want cause they 'train hard'. Give me a break.

Mantis
05-09-2010, 10:41 AM
This season ain't over despite tonight's debacle, and every move made should still be with a view to winning now imo.

Shouldn't these moves have been made before the QF?

BornInDroopSt'54
05-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Owch. Lets move on.

Good call, agre with your outs and wouldn't add to them. Higgins should improve as his body continues to recover from gland problems and at near his best he is potent. The other 'lifters' will be better for being on Etihad in good conditions, with us having more of the ball and DISPOSING of it better, Hall and Grant included (to benefit from the improved disposal that is).

Mantis
05-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Good call, agre with your outs and wouldn't add to them. Higgins should improve as his body continues to recover from gland problems and at near his best he is potent. The other 'lifters' will be better for being on Etihad in good conditions, with us having more of the ball and DISPOSING of it better, Hall and Grant included (to benefit from the improved disposal that is).

Have we seen that at all this year?

SlimPickens
05-09-2010, 11:43 AM
In: Youth
Out: Old

In: Wood, Jones, Hooper, Everitt, Rough (if fit)
Out: Egg, Hahn, Minson, Johnson, Higgins

Desipura
05-09-2010, 11:47 AM
In: Wood, Jones, Everitt & Moles
Out: Hahn, Johnson, Addison and Eagleton

Rocco Jones
05-09-2010, 11:52 AM
My go at what the MC thinks of the experienced players performances last night.

Johnno- He had a down game last night but it was his first game back. He takes a good player.

Higgins- Kicked 2 goals and O'Brien didn't have a ton of it.

Eagle- A down game but outside of the Cats game he had a good month before it.

Hahn- Offers us flexibility as he can play forward and back. He isn't great but he sure bets Dre who is woeful. We have tried yelling and we have tried screaming at Dre and we are all out of ideas. What else can we do? The kid just doesn't want it!

1eyedog
05-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Out: Eagleton, Hahn, Gia, Johnson, Minson

In: Wood, Everitt, Hooper, Roughhead, Moles

It won't happen but this is what I would like to see. Let's give the kids a run and give them some exposure. Problem is Eagleton will probably gather 25 touches and kick a couple of goals, but he is not the way forward.

My goodness Gia was ordinary last night, he was pushed off the ball so easily by a kid and didn't look like leadership material at all. I would not have him in my side next week and would send a strong message to the playing group that we are about to enter a mini rebuild and that no one is safe.

Jasper

Johnno- He had a down game last night but it was his first game back. He takes a good player.

Hahn- Offers us flexibility as he can play forward and back. He isn't great but he sure bets Dre who is woeful. We have tried yelling and we have tried screaming at Dre and we are all out of ideas. What else can we do? The kid just doesn't want it!

So you're the spin doctor that writes Eades excuses..sorry speeches...bastard:D

Mantis

Are you RJ or Leon Cameron?

Rocco Jones
05-09-2010, 12:03 PM
So you're the spin doctor that writes Eades excuses..sorry speeches...bastard:D

Haha.

Let me make it obvious to those coming in late, I definitely don't endorse those comments! I just think the MC sees what it wants to see.

Mantis
05-09-2010, 12:06 PM
Haha.

Let me make it obvious to those coming in late, I definitely don't endorse those comments! I just think the MC sees what it wants to see.

Of the Everitt comments do you agree?

Rightly or wrongly Dre was told to play for his life against Essendon, but played poorly and without purpose, perhaps the kid just doesn't get it?

bornadog
05-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Haha.

Do you really think that in this modern day of professional football that your statement would be true?

Rocco Jones
05-09-2010, 12:13 PM

Rightly or wrongly Dre was told to play for his life against Essendon, but played poorly and without purpose, perhaps the kid just doesn't get it?
Yeah I definitely think there's truth in those comments, I am definitely not impressed with Dre.

What I don't like about the treatment of Dre is the consistent dropping/lack of confidence in him. Not everyone responds to the hardline/punitive treatment.

I am also not comparing Dre to anything other than Hahn, who IMO has been cooked for a long time.

Do you really think that in this modern day of professional football that your statement would be true?

I don't mean it as cynical as it sounds. We all see what we want to see at times. I just think the MC has become stuck in their ways. It's not that they want to play the older guys because they are their mates etc, just that they have formed an opinion and seem to be looking at whatever proves it more than whatever disproves it.

Jasper
05-09-2010, 12:13 PM

Everitt has talent. We haven't got the best of him. It would appear to an outsider that Eade yells and rants and screams, and plays favourites. Perhaps this approach hasn't worked with Everitt. Is that all Everitt's fault??

Rocco Jones
05-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Everitt has talent. We haven't got the best of him. It would appear to an outsider that Eade yells and rants and screams, and plays favourites. Perhaps this approach hasn't worked with Everitt. Is that all Everitt's fault??

Yep.

Dre definitely has to carry a lot of the blame but simply saying it's his issue is biting your nose to spite your face.

Good teachers/coaches deal with difficult students. Eade reminds me of the type of coach/teacher who simply discards the difficult student after yelling and screaming at him doesn't work, labeling them as someone who simply does not want to learn.

Eade seems an old coach in a few ways at the moment, I would really love to see someone bought into the MC who has an idea about modern footy.

Jasper
05-09-2010, 12:18 PM

Mate this happens all the time in 'modern day football', how else does Matthew Knights get a job by telling a board what they want to hear, then recruiting Mark Williams (shotgun) and not rebuilding his midfield as he should have, and then not seeing the axe coming....gee mate it happens all the time in life and especially in footy where passion and business combine for a volatile mix.

bornadog
05-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Mate this happens all the time in 'modern day football', how else does Matthew Knights get a job by telling a board what they want to hear, then recruiting Mark Williams (shotgun) and not rebuilding his midfield as he should have, and then not seeing the axe coming....gee mate it happens all the time in life and especially in footy where passion and business combine for a volatile mix.

Sorry thats BS, the MC has given everyone a go this year. Over the past month we have continually made changes to the team, at least 5 a week. A team going into the finals does not make this many changes every week.

Name one player that hasn't had a chance this year following good form in the reserves? I think we have to face reality, you can't just blame the coach in our case (Knights is a crap coach but Eade is experienced and has taken us to 4 finals appearances, as well as Sydney to a GF and other finals), we don't have the players that we need to play finals footy.

We are victims of the excellent drafting when we had a great bunch come through together and now they are all ageing together, ie Murphy, Hargrave, Hahn, Gilbee, Gia, Lake, Eagleton.

We are suffering from the Rhode years as the 24 to 28 group is bare with only Cooney and Griffen any good. We got rid of players like Ray who we could be using now, but we do have a good bunch coming through from the 2008 draft.

Ozza
05-09-2010, 01:02 PM
I'm not sure any changes will make that much difference.
Its embarrassing to watch Shaun Higgins plays football. Everyone will tell me to get off his back and that he isn't fit - but if you put up your hand to play - you don't turn out what he did last night - or what he has done for most of this year.

One play that stands out was that we kicked the ball to him in a tonne of space on the Members side - if he sprinted to the ball he gets there and marks it - but instead - he trots along - lets it bounce, the Collingwood player gets to him just after he paddles it along the line before it goes out. Injured or not - it was extremely poor and showed up his typical lack of intensity. And that kind of garbage deflates the team. At least look like you want to be out there.

I can handle Johnson, Minson & Hahn playing terribly - at least they were trying and failing. At least they were trying to impact each contest they went to.

Ozza
05-09-2010, 01:05 PM
Out: Eagleton, Hahn, Gia, Johnson, Minson

In: Wood, Everitt, Hooper, Roughhead, Moles

It won't happen but this is what I would like to see. Let's give the kids a run and give them some exposure. Problem is Eagleton will probably gather 25 touches and kick a couple of goals, but he is not the way forward.

My goodness Gia was ordinary last night, he was pushed off the ball so easily by a kid and didn't look like leadership material at all. I would not have him in my side next week and would send a strong message to the playing group that we are about to enter a mini rebuild and that no one is safe.

Is there any danger at all in Rocket putting Gia into the middle for an extended period? When he went in there for a short stay in the 3rd quarter he ste up two scores, and we look better with the ball in his hands. Rocket handles Gia poorly.

GVGjr
05-09-2010, 01:06 PM
We are victims of the excellent drafting when we had a great bunch come through together and now they are all ageing together, ie Murphy, Hargrave, Hahn, Gilbee, Gia, Lake, Eagleton.

We are suffering from the Rhode years as the 24 to 28 group is bare with only Cooney and Griffen any good. We got rid of players like Ray who we could be using now, but we do have a good bunch coming through from the 2008 draft.

I can't agree. Whilst I'm not a fan of this scapegoating if we are victims of anything it's poor list management over the last 2 years.
If the list is imbalanced the club has had ample opportunity to rectify it over the last 4 or 5 years.

DOG GOD
05-09-2010, 01:10 PM
The best thing that could happen this week is for Johnno to announce his retirement at seasons end. Give the players something to play for, coz obviously playing for a pre-lim berth wasnt enough last night.

In: Hooper, Hill (play him on the wing ffs), Wood
out: Higgins, Hahn, Eagleton

bornadog
05-09-2010, 01:11 PM
I can't agree. Whilst I'm not a fan of this scapegoating if we are victims of anything it's poor list management over the last 2 years.
If the list is imbalanced the club has had ample opportunity to rectify it over the last 4 or 5 years.

Kelvinator and Rocca are saying the MC picks favourites, I am saying thats rubbish.

We have given every player a chance this year and some have not taken it, ala Everitt, Hill, Moles to name a few.

Raw Toast
05-09-2010, 01:15 PM
Shouldn't these moves have been made before the QF?

I think our line-up in part was dictated by the double chance, but I also don't agree with bringing in a player or two now simply to blood them for finals next year. We should win our next game regardless of whether it is against the Swans or Blues, and while we'd be deserved underdogs against the Saints I think we can beat them with the right team, game-plan, intensity and of course the ounce of luck often needed in finals.

I think this game was pretty definitive. The Hahn as a backman experiment failed. I didn't agree with him being in the team but could understand the experiment. It has to be over now - apart from his fortuitous goal his best contribution was some spoils to the boundary when he was the third man to the contest but what we really needed was him to mark those, give the ball off quickly to one of our runners and get the attack going. He had no composure and poor decision-making imo.

I can also understand the hope with Higgins - he's made an impact in key finals before off limited preparation. But this season more than ever forwards need to be able to apply defensive pressure. That said, he kept O'Brien fairly quite but he was shown up in contested situations that required more than a moment's acceleration. We don't know how many week's he is away from making an impact and he is so important to us that I'm not completely against keeping him in the side if he shows continued improvement in training.

Minson deserved a chance but laboured again and I don't think will be right to compete until after a solid pre-season. He stilll seems a bit lethargic and can't make an impact against very good teams when he is like that. That said, without Roughead it is a risk to play Everitt instead in the ruck. I'm all for that risk now because I don't think it can get much worse, and the potential is considerably greater than Minson can offer this year.

And Eagleton can also be said to have deserved a final shot. He has been able to perform shut-down roles at times and has had a couple of impressive moments this year. But he was very very disappointing and I think Moles for all his up-and-downess, can at least be rotated through the middle and will offer more consistent desperation.

So for me Hahn and Eagleton simply have to be dropped. Johnson has shown his importance this season though most people didn't see it and needed to see the stats before they believed it. We're simply a much better chance at glory with him being 85% fit or more, and so it makes sense to keep getting the work into his legs.

The MC has really struggled to understand how much more important run and forward pressure are this year - this week might be their last chance. They've kept returning to the their idea of the 'best 22 players' rather than the best balanced team of 22 (unlike Collingwood). So I can understand if Hooper or Jones (maybe even Hill) are brought in to give us a more balanced team.

And we really are in desperate need of Wood, so I'm praying that he's right to come back this week!

SlimPickens
05-09-2010, 01:18 PM
We once again brokedown across half forward last night. I would like to see Jones come into the side to at least provide an option, otherwise we need to play murph as a lead up target (still think he is better behind the ball).

Seriously the midfield needs a rocket put up them (pun intended), huddo and will had the majority of the hitouts last night but our clearance work was terrible. Yes, Cooney is missed but if Boyd wants to run around like a superstar maybe he should start playing like one. Someone send him a tape of Lenny Hayes from friday night.

GVGjr
05-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Kelvinator and Rocca are saying the MC picks favourites, I am saying thats rubbish.

We have given every player a chance this year and some have not taken it, ala Everitt, Hill, Moles to name a few.

And I haven't challenged your view on that but I am where you say that we are victims of the Rohde era with the list. If we are looking to blame others to explain our performance so far it would be like us accepting why Wallace and Rohde didn't measure up and just pointing the finger at Kleiman.

The list supposedly wasn't imbalanced when we decided to keep Eagleton and Akermanis on at the end of last year but now you are indicating it is and it's not Eade fault. I'm all for supporting the coach but the argument you have put forward I don't think is correct.

bornadog
05-09-2010, 01:26 PM
We once again brokedown across half forward last night. I would like to see Jones come into the side to at least provide an option, otherwise we need to play murph as a lead up target (still think he is better behind the ball).

Seriously the midfield needs a rocket put up them (pun intended), huddo and will had the majority of the hitouts last night but our clearance work was terrible. Yes, Cooney is missed but if Boyd wants to run around like a superstar maybe he should start playing like one. Someone send him a tape of Lenny Hayes from friday night.

We beat them in clearances, hard ball gets ,tackles and hi-outs but they smashed us in contested possessions. (198 to 142) The quality of our clearance was pathetic.

GVGjr
05-09-2010, 01:28 PM
We beat them in clearances, hard ball gets ,tackles and hi-outs but they smashed us in contested possessions. (198 to 142) The quality of our clearance was pathetic.

The real telling stat of the game. We needed to be be a lot better than that.

Rocco Jones
05-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Just a few points in response to a few comments by bornadog.

I am definitely not saying a few of our younger games are without blame and have not had their opportunities.

I just believe that their weaknesses are judged a lot harder than the ones made by the experienced players who seemingly not only get a chance but almost endless opportunities.

I definitely do not believe the MC has 'favourites' in the common sense of the term ('mates' etc), I just think they are far too conservative which lends itself to giving the seemingly 'least worst option' a game ahead of a bit of a gamble on the vast majority of occasions.

I am also not wanting to be black and white and simply casting the MC as clueless, they obviously know a bit about footy. I just believe there needs to be changes to help freshen them up and get the team to perform at an elite level.

GVGjr
05-09-2010, 01:34 PM
I am also not wanting to be black and white and simply casting the MC as clueless, they obviously know a bit about footy. I just believe there needs to be changes to help freshen them up and get the team to perform at an elite level.

That's how I see it. Perhaps a change in the match committee process could have us talking a positive step forward.

bornadog
05-09-2010, 01:40 PM
I just believe there needs to be changes to help freshen them up and get the team to perform at an elite level.

That's how I see it. Perhaps a change in the match committee process could have us talking a positive step forward.

I agree a change could help and bringing in a fresh pair of eyes would be great. Maybe Leon has been at the Dogs too long and needs to get experience somewhere else. I also believe we have done very well this year to blood so many new guys like Wood, Roughead, Grant, Moles and Jones as well as giving chances to Stack, Hill, and Everitt.

Rocco Jones
05-09-2010, 01:43 PM
I agree a change could help and bringing in a fresh pair of eyes would be great. Maybe Leon has been at the Dogs too long and needs to get experience somewhere else. I also believe we have done very well this year to blood so many new guys like Wood, Roughead, Grant, Moles and Jones as well as giving chances to Stack, Hill, and Everitt.

Definitely agree with the bolded section. It's definitely not all bad that's for sure but it's far from all good as well.

bornadog
05-09-2010, 01:45 PM
Who would like to see this.

In: Roughead, Moles, Jones, Hill Everitt, Stack, Wood.

Out: Hahn, Minson, Eagleton, Addison, Callan, Johnno, Higgins

Hotdog60
05-09-2010, 01:49 PM

I could go with that but I would put Hooper in and Stack out, I know his untried but Stack doesn't stack up in the cojones deptment.

Rocco Jones
05-09-2010, 01:52 PM

Not sure about Roughead as I would hate to play him if he isn't right.

Stack's intensity is clearly lacking and I do believe he has been give a lot of chances from the MC. Don't blame them for Stacky at all.

Addison is in the younger basket still and he wasn't too bad last night (relatively :confused:).

I guess I am not so upset about all the kids not playing/old guys playing, just how extremely conservative our MC seems to be.

I am not calling for a Bulldogs youth revolution where we look for any reason to axe an older player but a shift towards the centre from our current extremely conservative/pro experienced players style.

Greystache
05-09-2010, 02:12 PM

I'd play Hooper in front of Stack, and I'd leave in Callan and Addison and leave out Gilbee and Hargave. In the end it's a moot point because I honestly believe we'll play the most conservative option and make minimal changes at most. We might sneak a win next week before being beaten by an actual premiership contender in the prelim, and many around the club will praise the team for getting so close, when in actual fact we were never close. Rinse and repeat.

LostDoggy
05-09-2010, 02:49 PM
I'd play Hooper in front of Stack, and I'd leave in Callan and Addison and leave out Gilbee and Hargave. In the end it's a moot point because I honestly believe we'll play the most conservative option and make minimal changes at most. We might sneak a win next week before being beaten by an actual premiership contender in the prelim, and many around the club will praise the team for getting so close, when in actual fact we were never close. Rinse and repeat.

I agree with the later of your statement and i can't understand what the MC are doing choosing players who are not 100% at the the critical stage of the year. Surely the MC needs a revamp and the kennel a shake to get the club heading in the right direction as did Geelong not that long ago and now they are enjoying the success. The formula isn't working.

Go Dogs..............

LostDoggy
05-09-2010, 02:53 PM

I'm only 20 so I haven't gone through as many years of pain as many others but I'd rather make a prelim and lose than not play finals at all. Let's just get to the prelim and remember there are no certainties in football. We might find some form and get over the line against the Saints!

bornadog
05-09-2010, 02:57 PM
I'm only 20 so I haven't gone through as many years of pain as many others but I'd rather make a prelim and lose than not play finals at all. Let's just get to the prelim and remember there are no certainties in football. We might find some form and get over the line against the Saints!

Personally, I will be surprised if we win next week. Both the Swans and Carlton look better than us.

Greystache
05-09-2010, 03:13 PM

Modern football is cyclical, every team is going to be up for a period when they can challenge for a premiership before dropping back and re-grouping for another run. The team we have is clearly incapable of beating the top teams required to win a premiership. I see no point in persisting with them in the view that if we win enough h&a games we get the double chance, and if we can knock off one team during the finals then we're into a prelim which is a great achievement, then once you're there who knows what can happen.

We know what will happen, the same old tried, tested, and failed senior players will perform poorly, they'll panic with the ball in their hands, they make critical errors under no pressure, and no one will take the game on to give us a chance of winning. We need to build a team of players capable of lifting for big finals, and if that means missing preliminary finals we won't win anyway, or not beating up on the middle of the road sides during the regular season then that's a sacrifice I'm prepared to make, I just wish the club would for the first time in it's history.

LostDoggy
05-09-2010, 03:16 PM
Modern football is cyclical, every team is going to be up for a period when they can challenge for a premiership before dropping back and re-grouping for another run. The team we have is clearly incapable of beating the top teams required to win a premiership. I see no point in persisting with them in the view that if we win enough h&a games we get the double chance, and if we can knock off one team during the finals then we're into a prelim which is a great achievement, then once you're there who knows what can happen.

We know what will happen, the same old tried, tested, and failed senior players will perform poorly, they'll panic with the ball in their hands, they make critical errors under no pressure, and no one will take the game on to give us a chance of winning. We need to build a team of players capable of lifting for big finals, and if that means missing preliminary finals we won't win anyway, or not beating up on the middle of the road sides during the regular season then that's a sacrifice I'm prepared to make, I just wish the club would for the first time in it's history.

Totally agree with this post.

These players have failed us in finals over the last few years, time to move on & build a side capable of winning big finals games.

Rocco Jones
05-09-2010, 03:16 PM
I was thinking during the week that if Eade was in charge of Collingwood you could almost guarantee that Lockyer, Fraser, Medhurst and Anthony would be in the 22 and that Davis would never have been dropped.

bornadog
05-09-2010, 03:26 PM
My Selection

B:Harbrow Lake, Hargrave

HB:Wood, Williams, Gilbee

C: Griffen, Boyd, Picken

HF:Murphy Jones, , Grant

F: Giansiracusa, Barry Hall, Hill

Foll: Hudson, Cross, Ward

I/C: Roughead, Moles, Johnno, Everitt

Hill doesn't deserve a spot, but could bob up for a few goals, hey better than Eagle. Give Everitt a go and see what he is made of. Higgins, not fit leave him out.

Harbrow back to the backline, he seems lost up forward. Need Murphy up forward, or if you don't agree, drop Gilbee and Murphy in backline and bring in another forward, maybe Hooper.

LostDoggy
05-09-2010, 03:30 PM
My Selection

B:Harbrow Lake, Hargrave

HB:Wood, Williams, Gilbee

C: Griffen, Boyd, Picken

HF:Murphy Jones, , Grant

F: Giansiracusa, Barry Hall, Hill

Foll: Hudson, Cross, Ward

I/C: Roughead, Moles, Johnno, Everitt

Hill doesn't deserve a spot, but could bob up for a few goals. Give Everitt a go and see what he is made of. Higgins, not fit leave him out.

Glad you put him into the team, i feel he needs to be there.

As much as the guy sometimes lacks the defensive side of his game, he adds more currently then a guy like Higgins. Hill has only played 12 games this season, yet has been able to find the big sticks 21 times, he seems to be a proven goal kicker.

I still think we should persist with a fit Hill, instead of an unfit Higgins.

Rocco Jones
05-09-2010, 03:32 PM
For our collective huff and puff I think we will just see Wood coming in for Callan. Addison is the other player I can see being dropped for Moles.

bornadog
05-09-2010, 03:34 PM
I was thinking during the week that if Eade was in charge of Collingwood you could almost guarantee that Lockyer, Fraser, Medhurst and Anthony would be in the 22 and that Davis would never have been dropped.

RJ, that is a rubbish post.

Greystache
05-09-2010, 03:40 PM
For our collective huff and puff I think we will just see Wood coming in for Callan. Addison is the other player I can see being dropped for Moles.

Aree, we'll go safe and conservative, as usual.

Rocco Jones
05-09-2010, 03:43 PM

Why? Do you not think it would be likely for Eade to play all of them? I sure do.

You seem to get very defensive of Eade mate.

SonofScray
05-09-2010, 03:43 PM

I think that is not far off the mark at all. The impression I get from Eade is that age = credits, so you're right Davis probably wouldn't have had to earn his spot and Fraser would have been persisted with. Why? Because they're "tried and true."

Rocco Jones
05-09-2010, 03:45 PM
I think that is not far off the mark at all. The impression I get from Eade is that age = credits, so you're right Davis probably wouldn't have had to earn his spot and Fraser would have been persisted with. Why? Because they're "tried and true."

Yep. Without wanting to further incur bornadog's wrath, I do not think it's a biased/favourites thing, just that Eade is so very conservative. He seems to strongly prefer least worst over possible worst.

mighty_west
05-09-2010, 03:59 PM

I agree with RJ, we all see what is hapenning and are extremely frustrated that we continue playing the same old same old that have never got the job done, Malthouse has made the tough decisions and not played tried & tested, and they are playing a beand of football with such excitement that gives them realistic chance of winning a Premiership, not just in hope like we have for the past few years.

It also gives the kids such confidence to develop the right way, and know that there chances will come and puts the older blokes on notice as well, it creates a very good & strong envirement all round imo.

mighty_west
05-09-2010, 04:00 PM
Yep. Without wanting to further incur bornadog's wrath, I do not think it's a biased/favourites thing, just that Eade is so very conservative. He seems to strongly prefer least worst over possible worst.

I believe there were similar issues when he was coaching the Swans.

bornadog
05-09-2010, 04:25 PM
Why? Do you not think it would be likely for Eade to play all of them? I sure do.

You seem to get very defensive of Eade mate.

I get defensive when people post crap. How do you know what Eade would have played if he was coach of Collingwood?

You really believe that. Why have we blooded so many youngers over the past three years. Many posters on this forum bagged the coach for giving Stack a run for a few weeks, despite him kicking 10 or so goals and assisting in 8 others over a couple of weeks. Yes the kid hates going for the hard ball but he was given a go, just like Jones, Wood, Roughead Moles etc etc.

Believe what you will.

Roos benefited from the Eade era of getting kids to the club and developing them. Once they started to mature, they went all the way.

Last nighst team had 5 different players than last years Qualfying final. Guys like Everitt, Jones and Moles were given a chance to play well against Essendon and they fluffed it. Against poor opposition they couldn't get their hands on the ball, so how would they have fared against Collingwood? I have no doubt Roughead would have played last night but his shoulder was not right.

Who else should have played last night that didn't and why?

Greystache
05-09-2010, 04:28 PM

We're in a not too disimilar situation to Sydney were then, Eade clearly isn't going to take the team to the next level, yet Roos comes in and they win a flag.

bornadog
05-09-2010, 04:31 PM
We're in a not too disimilar situation to Sydney were then, Eade clearly isn't going to take the team to the next level, yet Roos comes in and they win a flag.

After he is gifted players already developed.

Rocco Jones
05-09-2010, 04:39 PM
bornadog you mention me 'posting crap' about Eade. Of course I can't prove Eade would do that at Collingwood as it is an abstract call but I do believe I have it back up with reasons, just look at our 22 last night.

It's sad a group of posters on this board resort to stuff like that when someone dares challenge the status quo. Not so apparent now that it is obvious that the MC aren't doing very well but it is/must be genuinely off putting to a lot of less confident posters.

Rocco Jones
05-09-2010, 04:41 PM

No respect for what he has done with Mumford, McGlynn and Kennedy this season? I know they were developed but the trio have really improved under Roos, esepcially Mumford.

LostDoggy
05-09-2010, 04:42 PM

I might be reading this wrong, but it seems like a big slap in the face to Roos' coaching career.

Before I Die
05-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Not sure about Roughead as I would hate to play him if he isn't right.

Stack's intensity is clearly lacking and I do believe he has been give a lot of chances from the MC. Don't blame them for Stacky at all.

Addison is in the younger basket still and he wasn't too bad last night (relatively :confused:).

I guess I am not so upset about all the kids not playing/old guys playing, just how extremely conservative our MC seems to be.
I am not calling for a Bulldogs youth revolution where we look for any reason to axe an older player but a shift towards the centre from our current extremely conservative/pro experienced players style.

So let me get this right. You don't disagree with what the MC are doing, you are just unhappy that we are losing and you feel the need to be critical of some-one as a result of this. With the whole team plays badly, you can't blame individual players, so the only possible targets are the coach and MC. Have I missed anything?

I think Eade and the coaching panel were out-coached last night and I think the medical team, plus Johnno and Higgins have a few honesty issues to confront. However, injuries to Cooney, Morris, Roughead and Wood, coupled with poor form and/or inconsistent form by Hill, Stack, Hooper, Jones, Moles and Everitt gave the selection panel little choice regarding the team for last night.

Greystache
05-09-2010, 04:45 PM

That Eade couldn't turn into challengers.

mighty_west
05-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Roos benefited from the Eade era of getting kids to the club and developing them. Once they started to mature, they went all the way.

Last nighst team had 5 different players than last years Qualfying final. Guys like Everitt, Jones and Moles were given a chance to play well against Essendon and they fluffed it. Against poor opposition they couldn't get their hands on the ball, so how would they have fared against Collingwood? I have no doubt Roughead would have played last night but his shoulder was not right.

Who else should have played last night that didn't and why?

Jones should have played, has played very well since getting a game, and his defensive pressures are a real highlight, ok, it may have rained, so what, what may have hampered his game being a tall kid he makes up for in pressure, some tried & tested players fail to do in big games, plus the exposure in such a massive game would have been so valuable.

Wood, if he was picked to play in the first place, means he was fit, again, with the wet weather forecast, he played his ass off against the Crows, like he has done since getting a game, he backs himself & plays with a confidence of a 100 game player, instead we play a player that hasn't played a game all season and will most likely be delisted at seasons end, says no more.

Hooper, ok, he hasn't played a game as yet, but he should have, for anyone that has seen the in tensity the kid has is custom made for finals footy, he is also extremely quick off the mark, the Pies backed a kid called Blair a few weeks back, his first game was a ripper, he is also very short yet made a difference last night, i would have backed Hooper in to play a role, go in hard, work hard, like alot of his team mates ahead of him clearly failed to do.

Jones fluffed it in one game, these tried & tested players have fluffed it over a period of time in big finals games....uuum, hello!

To me, the message is clear, if you have runs on the board, you are pretty much safe to play the most important games, yet some of these players have failed in the finals in the big games time after time, Collingwood were brave enough to make some hard calls, we were not.

Rocco Jones
05-09-2010, 04:48 PM
So let me get this right. You don't disagree with what the MC are doing, you are just unhappy that we are losing and you feel the need to be critical of some-one as a result of this. With the whole team plays badly, you can't blame individual players, so the only possible targets are the coach and MC. Have I missed anything?

Yes, you have.

I am not saying drop every experienced player and that everything the MC does is wrong. I can definitely understand wanting to play those who the 'least worst' type options, I just think the MC would too extreme in this aspect.

Playing all instead of some of Hahn, Johnno, Higgins, Callan and Eagle is my issue. It's just my personal belief, but rather than our current way or dropping anyone over 28 who isn't a star I would rather a more balanced approach.

Greystache
05-09-2010, 04:48 PM
It's sad a group of posters on this board resort to stuff like that when someone dares challenge the status quo. Not so apparent now that it is obvious that the MC aren't doing very well but it is/must be genuinely off putting to a lot of less confident posters.

It hasn't worked in 50 years why would you want to change it? :rolleyes:

I think we should do the same thing over and over again and expect different results.

bornadog
05-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Jones should have played, has played very well since getting a gvame, andf his defensive pressures are a real highlight, ok, it may have rained, so what, what may have hampered his game being a tall kid he makes up for in pressure, some tried & tested players fail to do in big games, plus the exposure in such a massive game would have been so valuable.

Wood, if he was picked to play in the firsat place, means he was fit, again, with the wet weather forcast, he played his ass off against the Crows, like he has done since getting a game, he backs himself & plays with a confidence of a 100 game player, instead we play a player that hasn't played a game all season and will most likely be delisted at seasons end, says no more.

Hooper, ok, he hasn't played a game as yet, but he should have, for anyone that has seen tthe in tensity the kid has is custom made for finals footy, he is also extremely quick off the mark, the Pies backed a kid called Blair a few weeks back, his first game was aa ripper, he is also very short yet made a difference last night, i would haqve backed Hooper in to play a role, go in hard, work hard, like alot of his team mates ahead of him clearly failed to do.

Jones fluffed it in one game, these tried & tested players have fluffed it over a period of time in big finals games....uuum, hello!

To me, the message is clear, if you have runs on the board, you are pretty much safe to play the most important games, yet some of these players have failed in the finals in the big games time after time, Collingwood were brave enough to make some hard calls, we were not.

Wood was picked but did not come up, his hammy still troubling him. Hooper was never going to be picked. What coach would put in an untried player in important final for his first game. Jones was probably stiff, but again he has only played what 5 games and with the threat of rain.

I would have had Hill in last week against Essendon to see what he can do.

Sorry you haven't proved any message at all. When someone does I will conceed to blaming the coach but to me its the players, and its obvious we have to cut deeply in the 29year and above at seasons end.

Rocco Jones
05-09-2010, 04:51 PM

I think we should do the same thing over and over again and expect different results.

Look, I don't think it is all bad. Bombing out in the semis/prelims is obviously a pretty positive benchmark for failure. I don't want a complete revolution, just a few changes.

SonofScray
05-09-2010, 04:51 PM
You can't live in fear. Make the hard calls, upset people along the way and do whatever it takes to get the best outcome for the Footscray Football Club.

We were never going to get much out of Johnno or Higgins, we might have got something out of an Everitt, or any other player in the mix. Conservatism won the day and we got what was to be expected, nothing. There are no returns if you don't gamble.

Would be a shame to go out in straight sets because of a stubborn coach and ultra conservative selectors panel.

This is what is really burning me up. Its just madness IMO.

GVGjr
05-09-2010, 04:53 PM
I get defensive when people post crap. How do you know what Eade would have played if he was coach of Collingwood?

RJ is expressing an opinion and he isn't pretending that it is a fact.
It just underlines his belief of a conservative selection process at the club. RJ can no sooner say for sure that Eade would pick them and you can't say for 100% that he wouldn't. It can however be discussed.

I'm all for defending the coach because he deserves a strong level of faith but lets not get too defensive about team selections because despite young players being blooded throughout the season some other selections have been baffling.

bornadog
05-09-2010, 04:55 PM
That Eade couldn't turn into challengers.

Another filpant comment with no basis.

Before I Die
05-09-2010, 04:57 PM

Isn't it amazing how the ability to predict things that have already happened is an exact science.

Lynch rather than Leaping Leo Barry takes that mark, Roos doesn't have a premiership. Gilbee and Gia don't miss gimme goals, dogs make a grand final, maybe Eade has a premiership. Suddenly Eade is a genius, and Roos is an also-ran. Or do you believe the above incidents played out the way they did because of who was in charge at the time?

Greystache
Look, I don't think it is all bad. Bombing out in the semis/prelims is obviously a pretty positive benchmark for failure. I don't want a complete revolution, just a few changes.

I would just love to see us follow the lead of strong clubs and stop persisting with players who won't step up. Clubs who regularly win premierships ie Hawthorn, Essendon, don't persist with players who can't take them to a premiership even if it means initial pain, we on the other hand give Eagleton and Hahn yet another go and celebrate the home and away careers of our club legends.

Rocco Jones

Isn't it as flippant and lacking basis as your comments that Roos just takes advantage of players who are ripe for the picking anyway?

Fair enough if you want to be defensive but you seem to be making some strongly negative comments about Roos which are at least equally abstract.

Rocco Jones
05-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Isn't it amazing how the ability to predict things that have already happened is an exact science.

Lynch rather than Leaping Leo Barry takes that mark, Roos doesn't have a premiership. Gilbee and Gia don't miss gimme goals, dogs make a grand final, maybe Eade has a premiership. Suddenly Eade is a genius, and Roos is an also-ran. Or do you believe the above incidents played out the way they did because of who was in charge at the time?

I think there's a lot of truth in that and fans are often too quick to judge a coach/team by premiership success.

I definitely think both Roos and Eade deserve a lot of respect for what they have done as coaches.

LostDoggy
05-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Majority of the players who played in that 2005 Premiership team, weren't under Rocket or only had 1 year under Eade.

To say that Roos took over a list blooded by Eade, is a bit over the top.

SonofScray
05-09-2010, 05:02 PM
I would just love to see us follow the lead of strong clubs and stop persisting with players who won't step up. Clubs who regularly win premierships ie Hawthorn, Essendon, don't persist with players who can't take them to a premiership even if it means initial pain, we on the other hand give Eagleton and Hahn yet another go and celebrate the home and away careers of our club legends.

I read an article recently about how Sir Alex at Man U mentioned that he learned he had to take a hard line and let go of his projects more easily. Something along the lines of if they've been in the system, had chances and haven't done the business by 28, they're not likely to do it when they're 30, 31, 32 etc.

Its something we are going to have to consider as a club with regards to our serial under achievers in finals. Our chances have been now and very few of Murphy, Hahn, Gilbee, Gia, Cross et al have done what is required of them as players, and leaders.

They're in the gun for mine, along with a coaching group that isn't addressing the issue.

bornadog
05-09-2010, 05:02 PM
RJ is expressing an opinion and he isn't pretending that it is a fact.
It just underlines his belief of a conservative selection process at the club. RJ can no sooner say for sure that Eade would pick them and you can't say for 100% that he wouldn't. It can however be discussed.

I'm all for defending the coach because he deserves a strong level of faith but lets not get too defensive about team selections because despite young players being blooded throughout the season some other selections have been baffling.

Well I like to discuss reasoning and logic and backed up by fact, not just flipant comments that serve no purpose. We are all really dissapointed with not just last week but since the Geelong match. Prior to that we had won 7 of 8 matches losing one by 3 points and the MC were heroes, but now we lose and the MC is not good enough.

I just don't believe we have the players playing at the level they should be at this stage of the year. Many are out of form and not in peak physical condition. For example, Lake didn't train the whole week until Friday, that is no way to go into a finals series. Same with several other players and unfortunately we don't have enough players to bring in. We already played with 7 players with less than 50 games.

Before I Die
05-09-2010, 05:03 PM

I bet the Collingwood supporters out there are glad Malthouse doesn't adhere to the same philosophy. I believe Collinwood have appeared in the last 9 finals series. Evidently in 8 of those they didn't have a side good enought to win it. However, through steady development, not radical overhaul, they are a very real chance this year.

bornadog
05-09-2010, 05:08 PM

I agree we should never have extended the careers of the following:

Aker, Eagle, Johnno.

However, Mitch Hahn was playing well last year and he deserved another year. I still think Mitch was lucky to be in the team due to injuries. A fit Morris and I couldn't see a place for him.

LostDoggy
05-09-2010, 05:10 PM
I agree we should never have extended the careers of the following:

Aker, Eagle, Johnno.

However, Mitch Hahn was playing well last year and he deserved another year. I still think Mitch was lucky to be in the team due to injuries. A fit Morris and I couldn't see a place for him.

If Morris was fit, Callan wouldn't be in the team.

mighty_west
05-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Well I like to discuss reasoning and logic and backed up by fact, not just flipant comments that serve no purpose. We are all really dissapointed with not just last week but since the Geelong match. Prior to that we had won 7 of 8 matches losing one by 3 points and the MC were heroes, but now we lose and the MC is not good enough.

I just don't believe we have the players playing at the level they should be at this stage of the year. Many are out of form and not in peak physical condition. For example, Lake didn't train the whole week until Friday, that is no way to go into a finals series. Same with several other players and unfortunately we don't have enough players to bring in. We already played with 7 players with less than 50 games.

They had 8 players in last night with less than 50 game experience!!!!

Greystache
05-09-2010, 05:11 PM

Seriously, you're taking one eyed to a new extreme!

He got the boot half way through a season in which they couldn't make the finals, they hadn't been close to challenging for a flag, yet Roos takes the basically the same list to 2 consecutive grand finals.

No basis though :rolleyes:

bornadog
05-09-2010, 05:12 PM

They had 8 players in last night with less than 50 game experience!!!!

Yeah one more, but we needed 5 more to replace Johnno, Higgins, Eagle, Hahn, Minson and maybe be more.

bornadog
05-09-2010, 05:13 PM
If Morris was fit, Callan wouldn't be in the team.

or if Wood was Fit you mean, ie Morris and Wood, for Hahn and Callan.

LostDoggy
05-09-2010, 05:15 PM
or if Wood was Fit you mean, ie Morris and Wood, for Hahn and Callan.

I think the coaching panel would make a spot for Hahn, possibly up forward.

I think if Wood was available, i could see Addison being shifted out.

Greystache
05-09-2010, 05:16 PM

Roos made 2 consecutive grand finals with the same group Eade had, a bit of luck either way he could have 2 flags or 0. So in the end they were good enough to be there.

IMO opinion if presented with the same opportunities again this year Gia and Gilbee would miss again.

bornadog
05-09-2010, 05:17 PM
I think the coaching panel would make a spot for Hahn, possibly up forward.

I think if Wood was available, i could see Addison being shifted out.

Yep lots of ifs and buts, however, fact is we didn't have the players to come in. Yes could have tweaked with maybe Jones or Hill, or Moles, but lets face it Collingwood overall have only lost 4 games this year and are clearly better than we are.

Greystache
05-09-2010, 05:22 PM
I bet the Collingwood supporters out there are glad Malthouse doesn't adhere to the same philosophy. I believe Collinwood have appeared in the last 9 finals series. Evidently in 8 of those they didn't have a side good enought to win it. However, through steady development, not radical overhaul, they are a very real chance this year.

Their list now compared to 9 years ago would be almost 100% turned over, and their team from 5 years ago would be radically different. They have one of the youngest teams in the 8.

Rocco Jones
05-09-2010, 05:22 PM
Yep lots of ifs and buts, however, fact is we didn't have the players to come in. Yes could have tweaked with maybe Jones or Hill, or Moles, but lets face it Collingwood overall have only lost 4 games this year and are clearly better than we are.

I agree with all that.

I know it's much easier to say who goes out of the side than who comes in.

We definitely don't have the depth to drop all the experienced players that are struggling. I just would have liked to see a couple of them out of the side with some of the players you mentioned replacing them.

bornadog
05-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Roos made 2 consecutive grand finals with the same group Eade had, a bit of luck either way he could have 2 flags or 0. So in the end they were good enough to be there.

IMO opinion if presented with the same opportunities again this year Gia and Gilbee would miss again.

I think Before I die makes some good points.

bornadog
05-09-2010, 05:24 PM
I agree with all that.

I know it's much easier to say who goes out of the side than who comes in.

We definitely don't have the depth to drop all the experienced players that are struggling. I just would have liked to see a couple of them out of the side with some of the players you mentioned replacing them.

Well hopefully we do give some of these a go nextw eek and see what they are made of. It won't hurt at all.

Before I Die
05-09-2010, 05:25 PM
Jones should have played, has played very well since getting a game, and his defensive pressures are a real highlight,

He has shown great potential, but he hasn't played particularly well in any of his senior games. He was only retaining his place due to injuries and the desire to get games into.

He continually turned the ball over due to percieved pressure. I am a big fan, but the MCG last nioght was no place for Jones at this stage of his career.

bornadog
05-09-2010, 05:30 PM
Their list now compared to 9 years ago would be almost 100% turned over, and their team from 5 years ago would be radically different. They have one of the youngest teams in the 8.

5 years ago we played them in the elimination final and 10 of our players were in that game and 6 of theirs compared to last night. Not a massive difference.

LostDoggy
05-09-2010, 05:32 PM

There were 9 players that played in the 2005 Grand Final, who never played under Eade.

mighty_west
05-09-2010, 05:38 PM
He continually turned the ball over due to percieved pressure. I am a big fan, but the MCG last nioght was no place for Jones at this stage of his career.

Would you have preferred to give Jones the experience of big finals, or continue playing players that have failed in the past? Perhaps given a few games to Hooper leading up to, in case of injuries, Brad Johnson was always a risk to play given his year, we all picked it and he was clearly out of sorts.

One of the other problems was that we were desperate to find a replacement for Morris, and our best bet was Mitch Hahn, the Pies had Brown to replace Presti, we had a make shift forward that has gone downhill very quickly, we did the exact same thing last year with a make shift defender in Welsh.

bornadog
05-09-2010, 05:44 PM
Would you have preferred to give Jones the experience of big finals, or continue playing players that have failed in the past? Perhaps given a few games to Hooper leading up to, in case of injuries, Brad Johnson was always a risk to play given his year, we all picked it and he was clearly out of sorts.

One of the other problems was that we were desperate to find a replacement for Morris, and our best bet was Mitch Hahn, the Pies had Brown to replace Presti, we had a make shift forward that has gone downhill very quickly, we did the exact same thing last year with a make shift defender in Welsh.

Tiller would have been a great back up for Morris but unfortunately he has had a bacd two years with injury.

Yes great to bring in young guys for a taste of it but you can only have so many. Grant had 6 touches for the night.

mighty_west
05-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Tiller would have been a great back up for Morris but unfortunately he has had a bacd two years with injury.

Yes great to bring in young guys for a taste of it but you can only have so many. Grant had 6 touches for the night.

I think the point is more over the season rather than just last night, so in case of injuries, which has hit, we have genuine back up, and blooding those players.

Fantastic that Roughead has come on, Jones has had a very good run, Wood as well.

I thought for the first time that everitt had been showing something [i have never been a massive fan due to his lack of intensity], the Crows game and the game after that, yet he has one downer and he is dropped, Hooper is 2nd in the Williamstown goal kicking behind Little, he had to have played by now so that he could have also come in if needed.

Maybe it also goes back to recruiting the right types, and measuring the intensity levels and work rate when drafting thse kids, they can have all the skills in the world, but if they just don't work hard enough, no point having these great skills that won't come into play in the big finals, and has restricted us with genuine finals type of depth.

Dogs 24/7
05-09-2010, 06:11 PM

Eade was at the Swans for 5 1/2 years and given your reckoning Roos was gifted a premiership team that Eade assembled.
I think Eade has just about completed his 6th season with us but apparently your opinion is that the group is still is still incomplete due to Rhodes tenure. Have we fluked the top 4 spots in the last 3 years?

Before I Die
05-09-2010, 06:19 PM

I do believe the MC and Eade made a decision this year to have one last roll of the dice with the senior players that got us so close last year, plus Hall. Hence the retention of Eagle and Aker. I think that was also the mind set of all our supporters and the "experts' in the media. It wasn't a bad plan and may have succeeded without the bad run of injuries (always a risk with an ageing list) that we have had. I also believe the MC has had an eye to the future and have blooded quite a few young players who will feature strongly next year.

Geelong and St. Kilda were ladder leaders with us last year and they have also followed a conservative approach, however without the injuries. Correspondingly I don't believe they have brought through as many young players as us (though I haven't done my homework and may be wrong). Collingwood on the other hand were not competitive in the finals and have been tougher on their veterans.

I support the direction taken by the MC this year, and although I am very disappointed by last night, I don't think they really had any alternatives regarding selection. It is all very well for posters to play the "what if" card, but the reality is that if we were going to win it this year, it was only ever going to be the experienced players who were going to get the job done. Whether we won it or not this year, next year was always going to be a year of change, probably even more so now. Aker is gone and Eagle will be going. Johnno needs to bite the bullet, and if not, he needs to be told. Hahn needs to at least be told he will be fighting to get a game and he should consider his options elsewhere. I would be telling Hargrave the same thing, but that is probably just me :D

So back to the thread title:

Ins: Roughead (if fit), Wood (if fit), Hooper (if Johnno or Higgins are unfit).

Outs: Minson (see above), Callan (see above), Johhno/Higgins (if not 100%)

I would also seriously consider Everitt for Hargrave, who just butchered the ball out of defence last night, though, as hinted above, my views on Hargrave seem to be a bit more critical than the majority of posters.

bornadog
05-09-2010, 06:58 PM
Eade was at the Swans for 5 1/2 years and given your reckoning Roos was gifted a premiership team that Eade assembled.
I think Eade has just about completed his 6th season with us but apparently your opinion is that the group is still is still incomplete due to Rhodes tenure. Have we fluked the top 4 spots in the last 3 years?

Thats not what I said. Have you read every thread?

Jasper
05-09-2010, 08:14 PM

Again don't take my word for it, take the word of the coach who said of Hahn, 'He has credits in the bank'. That is called applying different rules for different people.

And I don't accept that Everitt has had a clean run at it. Going on memory from early in the season he looked ok. Then he got injured, and then he didn't get strong run at it with consecutive games. Just like Knights treated most of his list, is how Eade has treated Everitt.

LostDoggy
05-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Who else thought Lake had pretty much snapped his arm in half?

The way he was holding it going off the ground look really ordinary!!

Jasper
05-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Who else thought Lake had pretty much snapped his arm in half?

The way he was holding it going off the ground look really ordinary!!

Even more ordinary was the call of Mark McClure who at the time slagged Lake as soft, and that he should have got up, basically called him a weak ****. I really dislike that behaviour...

AndrewP6
05-09-2010, 08:37 PM
Even more ordinary was the call of Mark McClure who at the time slagged Lake as soft, and that he should have got up, basically called him a weak ****. I really dislike that behaviour...

As did the Filth around me... takes a bit to get me fired up, but that was very poor.

Jasper
05-09-2010, 08:47 PM
As did the Filth around me... takes a bit to get me fired up, but that was very poor.

Was on level 1 behind the goals and these how do I say it...graceless, classless Pies fans were potting/mocking/bronxing/abusing Johnno. A league great, All Aus captain, top fella, the package, just smashing into him.

I am weak...I left at 3 quarter time...

LostDoggy
05-09-2010, 09:12 PM
OUT- Eade,Hahn,Johnson,Addison,Gia,Eagleton,Minson,Gilbee,Cross,B oyd. and MC.

Hotdog60
05-09-2010, 09:23 PM
Roos said that Bradshaw and McGlynn could be starters this week, so our backline will have a few players to watch. How are match ups going.

Possible Swans forwards:-

Adam Goodes
Jesse White
Daniel Bradshaw
Ben McGlynn
Trent Dennis-Lane

LostDoggy
05-09-2010, 09:23 PM
Again don't take my word for it, take the word of the coach who said of Hahn, 'He has credits in the bank'. That is called applying different rules for different people.

And I don't accept that Everitt has had a clean run at it. Going on memory from early in the season he looked ok. Then he got injured, and then he didn't get strong run at it with consecutive games. Just like Knights treated most of his list, is how Eade has treated Everitt.

Eade also admitted in a press conference, that Higgins had been a serial offender over consecutive weeks, in terms of butchering the ball & said his form was down, he got a game the following week.

I agree, different rules for different people.

LostDoggy
05-09-2010, 09:24 PM
OUT- Eade,Hahn,Johnson,Addison,Gia,Eagleton,Minson,Gilbee,Cross,B oyd. and MC.

Whos in?

bornadog
05-09-2010, 10:41 PM
Again don't take my word for it, take the word of the coach who said of Hahn, 'He has credits in the bank'. That is called applying different rules for different people. .

Ok believe what you want, Coaches picking their favourites in order to lose games, no problems.

Yep 12 games and averaged 16 disposals, 2.3 tackles, has had a brilliant year.

Just like Knights treated most of his list, is how Eade has treated Everitt.

and you have the inside story do you or are you making this up (which I suspect)

becmatty
06-09-2010, 01:49 AM
Crossed fingers Bazza escapes suspension (he should be fine, but the tribunal are unpredictable). Bazza would love nothing more than to run out against his former club in a final.

Mantis
06-09-2010, 09:06 AM
Yep 12 games and averaged 16 disposals, 2.3 tackles, has had a brilliant year.

Compared to Mitch Hahn's 17 games, 16.5 disposals & 2.6 tackles per game his numbers seem ok.

Everitt even offers us something with ball in hand, Mitch just offers us another 'thumper'.

Mantis
06-09-2010, 09:07 AM
Having thought more about it I would go:

In: Moles, Wood, Everitt, Jones.

Out: Eagleton, Hahn, Addison, Johnson.

Go_Dogs
06-09-2010, 09:17 AM

I'd be happy with that.

I'd really like us to try and squeeze Hooper in. First gamer etc, but he won't die wondering. A lot of our senior players haven't shown the necessary intensity and willingness for the contest, and against Sydney and St Kilda it just won't cut it.

I'd rather give the opportunity to someone who'll put it all on the line and not die wondering, rather than someone who appears to have accepted their fate....

Mantis
06-09-2010, 09:23 AM
I'd be happy with that.

I'd really like us to try and squeeze Hooper in. First gamer etc, but he won't die wondering. A lot of our senior players haven't shown the necessary intensity and willingness for the contest, and against Sydney and St Kilda it just won't cut it.

I'd rather give the opportunity to someone who'll put it all on the line and not die wondering, rather than someone who appears to have accepted their fate....

We will probably go:

In: Wood

Out: Addison

Our justification will be -

Eagleton - Plays well against Sydney, was good up their 2 weeks ago. (Will follow his pattern of - QF = shocking, Semi = good against inferior opposition, Prelim = shitful)

Johnson - Had a bad one, but will get better, takes a good player (who Johnno wont be able to beat 1 on 1 and who will run off him at will)

Hahn - Better option than Everitt. (Never seen Andrejs in a final so who knows how he will go???)

bornadog
06-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Compared to Mitch Hahn's 17 games, 16.5 disposals & 2.6 tackles per game his numbers seem ok.

Everitt even offers us something with ball in hand, Mitch just offers us another 'thumper'.

Never said Hahn should be in. I was answering Kelivinator's assertion that Everitt never gets a go.

Mofra
06-09-2010, 11:19 AM
I know that Eagleton normally plays well against the Swans, but he cannot play this week. It is his last season, he has slowed, and in the intensity of finals we need more inside players and less receivers.

Hahn must not play - too slow and although he did kick a thumping goal, we should roll the dice and play Everitt as the 6th backman who can play tallish in the absence of Morris.

If Roughy was fit Minson would be gone in a heartbeat - he is a pure ruckman and is a non-factor up forward.

Hall will go, very similar to Chapman's and I expect him to lose a week.

Tim Callan was serviceable, but if we are lacking run and disposal efficiency in the middle we can afford few pure stoppers in the side and Tim offers little by the way of rebound after spedning 22 weeks in the VFL.

Johnson - I can't stand watching him wanting to affect play, and his body not letting him do it. He has to pull out this week.

This would mean five changes:
Out: Hall, Eagleton, Hahn, Callan, Johnson
In: Jones, Moles, Wood, Hooper, Everitt

I don't see Hooper as a selection anymore bold than Callan, Wood gives us rebound, Everitt can use the ball well when he has it, Jones gets experience in a final and with Hooper adds defensive pressure. With Minson playing, he can be the battering ram forward and allow Hooper or Higgins to stand at his feet. Moles' disposal under pressure is a concern - so instead of hiding, lets test it in a final. He wont stop running which means teh loss of Eagleton can be covered.

As much as this sounds terrible, the way we play this weekend is more important than the result.

bornadog
06-09-2010, 11:27 AM
I know that Eagleton normally plays well against the Swans, but he cannot play this week. It is his last season, he has slowed, and in the intensity of finals we need more inside players and less receivers.

Hahn must not play - too slow and although he did kick a thumping goal, we should roll the dice and play Everitt as the 6th backman who can play tallish in the absence of Morris.

If Roughy was fit Minson would be gone in a heartbeat - he is a pure ruckman and is a non-factor up forward.

Hall will go, very similar to Chapman's and I expect him to lose a week.

Tim Callan was serviceable, but if we are lacking run and disposal efficiency in the middle we can afford few pure stoppers in the side and Tim offers little by the way of rebound after spedning 22 weeks in the VFL.

Johnson - I can't stand watching him wanting to affect play, and his body not letting him do it. He has to pull out this week.

This would mean five changes:
Out: Hall, Eagleton, Hahn, Callan, Johnson
In: Jones, Moles, Wood, Hooper, Everitt

I don't see Hooper as a selection anymore bold than Callan, Wood gives us rebound, Everitt can use the ball well when he has it, Jones gets experience in a final and with Hooper adds defensive pressure. With Minson playing, he can be the battering ram forward and allow Hooper or Higgins to stand at his feet. Moles' disposal under pressure is a concern - so instead of hiding, lets test it in a final. He wont stop running which means teh loss of Eagleton can be covered.

As much as this sounds terrible, the way we play this weekend is more important than the result.

Apparently Roughead may be ok to play this week, so would you bring him in as well?

I agree on Johnno, but Rocket has already said he will play.

Mofra
06-09-2010, 11:30 AM
Apparently Roughead may be ok to play this week, so would you bring him in as well?
Roughead? Yes I would.
As sad as it sounds, 2010 is not our year and the chance to get finals games into the guys who will probably be core members of the team next year is more important than the result. Get the playing the style of football we want under the most strenuous of conditions. Roughy offers something forward as well.

I agree on Johnno, but Rocket has already said he will play.
So he's only a 50% chance then ;)

Mantis
06-09-2010, 11:50 AM
Roughead? Yes I would.
As sad as it sounds, 2010 is not our year and the chance to get finals games into the guys who will probably be core members of the team next year is more important than the result. Get the playing the style of football we want under the most strenuous of conditions. Roughy offers something forward as well.

Do you have confidence that his shoulder will get through a game?

I don't.

Sedat
06-09-2010, 12:25 PM
If Johnno plays, IMO the only position he can add any value to the team is to play out of the goal square (not the forward 50) and hopefully drag one of the Swans runners into uncomfortable territory. Johnno's hands in a marking contest has been one of his great weapons and it basically hasn't been utilised at all in 2010 with the way that he's been used in the team. Even if Hall plays, I'd have Johnno deep with Hall roaming 35-50 metres from goal, where he can at least add physical presence and genuine defensive efforts to make the Swans rebounders think twice.

Mantis
06-09-2010, 12:27 PM
If Johnno plays, IMO the only position he can add any value to the team is to play out of the goal square (not the forward 50) and hopefully drag one of the Swans runners into uncomfortable territory. Johnno's hands in a marking contest has been one of his great weapons and it basically hasn't been utilised at all in 2010 with the way that he's been used in the team. Even if Hall plays, I'd have Johnno deep with Hall roaming 35-50 metres from goal, where he can at least add physical presence and genuine defensive efforts to make the Swans rebounders think twice.

I can't see it being effective.

Johnno has lost his pace and wouldn't be able to 'create a gap' when on the lead.

Mofra
06-09-2010, 12:37 PM
Do you have confidence that his shoulder will get through a game?
If the club adjudge it to be well enough to play, I'd have him ahead of Minson. He offers more forward and against Pyke pinch hitting he will more than hold his own.
If there is that much doubt about his shoulder he wont be selected.

Sedat
06-09-2010, 12:44 PM
I can't see it being effective.

Johnno has lost his pace and wouldn't be able to 'create a gap' when on the lead.
It's loss minimisation as far as I'm concerned. His opponent would have a mindset to defend first being so close to goal, and would in theroy knock the ball out of bounds to a stoppage (meaning rebound opportunities would be limited). And being so deep in defence, even if Johnno's direct opponent rolled the dice, attacked the contest and won, our players upfield would still have ample time to adequately structure up defensively for the coast-to-coast rebound.

Sad that I'm even talking about loss minimisation but I cannot for the life of me think where else he can play that will add any value, or worse be fully exploited by Roos, on the night. And having him so close to home would at least add an element of surprise to the match-up - Roos will no doubt have one of his attacking defenders in mind to torch Johnno on the rebound so this takes that player right out of harms way.

Mantis
06-09-2010, 12:46 PM
It's loss minimisation as far as I'm concerned. His opponent would have a mindset to defend first being so close to goal, and would in theroy knock the ball out of bounds to a stoppage (meaning rebound opportunities would be limited). And being so deep in defence, even if Johnno's direct opponent rolled the dice, attacked the contest and won, our players upfield would still have ample time to adequately structure up defensively for the coast-to-coast rebound.

Sad that I'm even talking about loss minimisation but I cannot for the life of me think where else he can play that will add any value, or worse be fully exploited by Roos, on the night. And having him so close to home would at least add an element of surprise to the match-up - Roos will no doubt have one of his attacking defenders in mind to torch Johnno on the rebound so this takes that player right out of harms way.

Aren't pretty much all of Sydney's defenders killers on the rebound?

Sedat
06-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Aren't pretty much all of Sydney's defenders killers on the rebound?
Most are but none of Kennelly, Malceski, Shaw or Mattner are great one-on-one defenders. Of course their job would be made easier on someone so limited physically but they would still be called upon to utilise a personal weakness more than a strength. Roos would probably release the rebounder and change the match-up with someone like a Paul Bevan, creating a nil-all draw. But at least we'd have more pace and defensive pressure around half-forward without Johnno there. That's what it has resorted to with Johnno unfortunately.

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 04:11 PM
Roughead trained well today. Can someone tell me why Dale was doing sprints today? I thought he was gone for the year?

SlimPickens
06-09-2010, 04:15 PM
If roughy is fit he must play over Will. Dale would have trained because he is a leader of the club and will do anything to assist with his rehab.

Doc26
06-09-2010, 04:23 PM
Roughead trained well today. Can someone tell me why Dale was doing sprints today? I thought he was gone for the year?

Hopefully someone has also seen Cooney doing sprints and it's all just been a ruse.

BulldogBelle
06-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Roughy in for sure if fit - for Minson
Everitt for Hahn
Wood for Callen
Moles for Eagleton
Hooper for Higgins,

Everyone has touched on all the reasons why, so I'll leave it at that....

and Johnno to stay.

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 04:59 PM

Close...

Out: Eagleton, Hahn, Minson, Callan

Doc26
06-09-2010, 05:05 PM
I realise that Eagleton is up there in the whipping boy stakes and can often be justified but is he really worse than what Higgins is likely to offer us this week against a Swans outfit that has a lot of run, particularly given that Johnson will also play.

Jasper
06-09-2010, 09:01 PM
Ok my changes, I am thinking Eade will roll the dice, as some senior players have had the opportunity. Also Eade will recognise that his own future will not be helped by a straight sets exit. I think we will see a miraculous conversion to youth and to attacking aggressive football:

Out
Hahn too slow
Minson no value
Eagle no value in the hot finals kitchen
Callan list clogger

In
Wood could play on O'Keefe?
Everitt to provide height to ruck or gap fill if Williams rucks
Hill a goal kicker, he can lay a tackle and take a mark, oh and he can run
Moles

Interesting if Hooper gets a run, and to see how far Hill's papers have been stamped.

Rocco Jones
06-09-2010, 09:14 PM
Ok my changes, I am thinking Eade will roll the dice, as some senior players have had the opportunity. Also Eade will recognise that his own future will not be helped by a straight sets exit. I think we will see a miraculous conversion to youth and to attacking aggressive football:

Out
Hahn too slow
Minson no value
Eagle no value in the hot finals kitchen
Callan list clogger

In
Wood could play on O'Keefe?
Everitt to provide height to ruck or gap fill if Williams rucks
Hill a goal kicker, he can lay a tackle and take a mark, oh and he can run
Moles

Interesting if Hooper gets a run, and to see how far Hill's papers have been stamped.

What about Eade's history tells you that in times of desperation he will go for youth over experience? Look, I hope you're right and like most of your changes but it's Eade and the MC we are talking about.

I would be stunned if we see more than 2 changes. Callan and Addison are the two players I see in the gun with Wood and Moles coming in.

Bumper Bulldogs
06-09-2010, 09:49 PM
Clearly we all have thoughts on this but I for one would go with Johnson as I'm sure he will have the weight lifted from his shoulders now after retiring. He should play closer to goal or as a bunny dragging his backman out of the field of play.

Clearly if Roughy is 70% I would go with him over Minson as he could be a weapon down forward and doesn't give away free kicks. If Roughy's no good in comes Everitt

For me Hahn has to go, He is not a backman and too slow for the forward line: In Wood.

Eagle out for Moles, the boy has a crack and gets involved, he couldn't turn it over any worst than the others.

Addison out for the rookie in Hooper, both strong body's, both have a go, but Hooper should give us more drive better finishing skills.

Based on fitness Higgo out and I would though Hill a life line, from what I've scene touch and go if he has earned other chance but he does kick goals.

So I have 5 changes which is really bad for this time of the year and still playing an unfit captain, but we need run and attitude.

I though the Timmy C had a crack and beat his man, also could be used as a lock in forward.

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 10:24 PM
Clearly if Roughy is 70% I would go with him over Minson as he could be a weapon down forward and doesn't give away free kicks. If Roughy's no good in comes Everitt.

I listened to Roughy on SEN Saturday morning, he said he will be ready to go this week.

Pickenitup
06-09-2010, 10:25 PM
In Everitt Moles Wood Hooper
Out Hahn Addison Higgins Eagleton
Need to play 2 ruckman Everiit not big enough against Pyke and Mumford we need Dre to team with Tommy on Goodes i would bring in Roughy if Fit if not give Will one more chance.
Also time to try Bob Murphy in the middle

Jasper
06-09-2010, 10:43 PM
What about Eade's history tells you that in times of desperation he will go for youth over experience? Look, I hope you're right and like most of your changes but it's Eade and the MC we are talking about.

I would be stunned if we see more than 2 changes. Callan and Addison are the two players I see in the gun with Wood and Moles coming in.

You got me, I was super imposing my hopes and dreams of an inspirational match committee that dares to dream and take risks with youth...I don't believe you have the MC keeping perrenial whipping boy Minson in RJ.

MC

Out

Minson
Callan

In
Moles
Wood

We'll retain Mitch to fill the gap in the backline when Williams rucks to support Hudson (and it works so well). Eagle stays due to his superb running and a great record in finals. And if Roughead is even half fit, he will come in for Addison, because we can afford to carry partly fit players with such a 100% fit team...

boydogs
07-09-2010, 02:11 AM
Out: Hahn, Minson
In: Wood, Roughead

Moles, Everitt, Jones, Eagleton, Addison, Callan marginal, but Will is not AFL standard with his work around the ground and giving away frees, and Hahn is no good to us if he can't beat the third tall forward - Wood will do that and give us rebound.

Desipura
07-09-2010, 09:34 AM
In: Roughead, Wood, Moles, Hooper
Out: Minson, Higgins, Addison, Callan

The above is how I think the MC will go.

I personally would also drop Eagleton and bring in Hill. Eagleton kicking 4 against them last time may save him.
And I would also drop Hahn for Everitt.
Jones and Roughy would make us too top heavy.

Bumper Bulldogs
07-09-2010, 09:22 PM
I listened to Roughy on SEN Saturday morning, he said he will be ready to go this week.

Thats some good news, just hope it's not mind games that Rocket pulls out.

LostDoggy
07-09-2010, 09:25 PM
In: Roughead, Wood, Moles, Hooper
Out: Minson, Higgins, Addison, Callan

The above is how I think the MC will go.

I personally would also drop Eagleton and bring in Hill. Eagleton kicking 4 against them last time may save him.
And I would also drop Hahn for Everitt.
Jones and Roughy would make us too top heavy.

I hate when people say this, as i think it's false.

Desipura
08-09-2010, 10:07 AM
I hate when people say this, as i think it's false.
I hate when people say this and dont give me a reason.

Sockeye Salmon
08-09-2010, 10:54 AM
Everitt for Hahn
Wood for Callen
Moles for Eagleton
Hooper for Higgins,

and Johnno to stay.

They're the changes I'd like to see, we simply have to increase our running power.

bornadog
08-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Everitt for Hahn
Wood for Callen
Moles for Eagleton
Hooper for Higgins,

and Johnno to stay.

They're the changes I'd like to see, we simply have to increase our running power.

I agree as well. Roughead maynot come up according to Eade today.

LostDoggy
08-09-2010, 06:59 PM
I hate when people say this and dont give me a reason.

I don't know why we would be to top heavy?

I look at the last Premiership teams & Grand Finalist, they all have 6 or more talls running around.

St Kilda: Dawson, Fisher, Gilbert, Dempster, Kosi, Riewoldt, King, Gardiner.
Geelong: Scarlett, Taylor, Mackie, Harley, Mooney, Hawkins, Ottens, Blake.

They are all over 190cm & all played in the Grand Final last year, didn't make them to top heavy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also look at Collingwood who dominated us on Saturday, they had plenty of talls.

Maxwell, Reid, Dawes, Cloke, Brown, Jolly, Brown.

Other teams can get away with 6 or more talls, why couldn't we do the same?

Scorlibo
08-09-2010, 07:32 PM

Hargrave, Lake, Williams, Hudson, Minson, Hall, Grant. That's seven.

The only thing Jones offers us at this stage is forward pressure, and you don't get a game with just this one asset unless your name is Leon Davis. At the moment Jones isn't proving to be a very reliable forward target, and in any case we have Hall and Grant down there for that already.

Rocco Jones
08-09-2010, 07:45 PM
I don't know why we would be to top heavy?

I look at the last Premiership teams & Grand Finalist, they all have 6 or more talls running around.

St Kilda: Dawson, Fisher, Gilbert, Dempster, Kosi, Riewoldt, King, Gardiner.
Geelong: Scarlett, Taylor, Mackie, Harley, Mooney, Hawkins, Ottens, Blake.

They are all over 190cm & all played in the Grand Final last year, didn't make them to top heavy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also look at Collingwood who dominated us on Saturday, they had plenty of talls.

Top heavy isn't about having too many tall players, it's about having too many immobile players.

Mitch Hahn for example makes you a lot more top heavy than say Adam Goodes.

1eyedog
08-09-2010, 07:46 PM
Hargrave, Lake, Williams, Hudson, Minson, Hall, Grant. That's seven.

The only thing Jones offers us at this stage is forward pressure, and you don't get a game with just this one asset unless your name is Leon Davis. At the moment Jones isn't proving to be a very reliable forward target, and in any case we have Hall and Grant down there for that already.

Not a tall and with his pace and lack of contested marking neither is Grant.

Happy for Roughie to come in for Will and Everitt and Jones to come in for Hahn and whoever.

That makes Jones, Lake, Williams, Hudson, Roughhead and Hall the traditional talls. That's six. Happy enough for Jones to get a run, we've given him some exposure, he won't have a gun on him Saturday night and will probably pull their third best defender.

Scorlibo
08-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Not a tall and with his pace and lack of contested marking neither is Grant.

Happy for Roughie to come in for Will and Everitt and Jones to come in for Hahn and whoever.

That makes Jones, Lake, Williams, Hudson, Roughhead and Hall the traditional talls. That's six. Happy enough for Jones to get a run, we've given him some exposure, he won't have a gun on him Saturday night and will probably pull their third best defender.

Hargrave is 190cm, so yes he is a tall, even if he often plays as a rebounding defender.

Grant is probably the best mark at the club, that will come to the fore as he bulks up.

What concerns me with playing Jones is that we don't have that many quick crumbers in our forward fifty to crumb at all of these tall forwards' feet. Jones plays a bit like a poor man's Hall and we don't have room for both of them.

1eyedog
08-09-2010, 08:13 PM
Hargrave is 190cm, so yes he is a tall, even if he often plays as a rebounding defender.

Grant is probably the best mark at the club, that will come to the fore as he bulks up.

What concerns me with playing Jones is that we don't have that many quick crumbers in our forward fifty to crumb at all of these tall forwards' feet. Jones plays a bit like a poor man's Hall and we don't have room for both of them.

Agree with this and with Aker gone and Hooper a long way off we are a while away from having a quality crumb forward running around inside he forward 50. Harbrow didn't work on Saturday night.

Grant has got strong hands on the lead but you're right he is too slight at present to fly with the big men.

A bit of a vacuum existed at CHF on Saturday night, sure Jones is a poor man's Hall but he is a big body, is more mobile than Hahn has good defensive pressure and will be a target. Don't see how we have anything to lose here. Intereseted to here why we don't have room for Hall and Jones. We don't have room to play a traditional CHF?

Hargrave is better suited to playing on medium/small forwards, played on Milne last year. He's 190cm sure but he plays like a 6 footer, he certainly doesn't make us top heavy, neither do Everitt or Grant.

Scorlibo
08-09-2010, 08:59 PM
Agree with this and with Aker gone and Hooper a long way off we are a while away from having a quality crumb forward running around inside he forward 50. Harbrow didn't work on Saturday night.

Grant has got strong hands on the lead but you're right he is too slight at present to fly with the big men.

A bit of a vacuum existed at CHF on Saturday night, sure Jones is a poor man's Hall but he is a big body, is more mobile than Hahn has good defensive pressure and will be a target. Don't see how we have anything to lose here. Intereseted to here why we don't have room for Hall and Jones. We don't have room to play a traditional CHF?

Hargrave is better suited to playing on medium/small forwards, played on Milne last year. He's 190cm sure but he plays like a 6 footer, he certainly doesn't make us top heavy, neither do Everitt or Grant.

Re: Hargrave, sure he doesn't make us top heavy but neither do Fisher, Dempsey, Gilbert and Mackie who JH40 mentioned who I was replying to.

Re: Jones and Hall, if either were to play as the traditional CHF, it would probably be Hall as CHF takes both very good smarts and a good tank to play well, I'm not sure Jones will compete all that well at CHF on this basis. If Hall were to play CHF, he would spend a lot of his time outside of the fifty and we can't really afford our number one goalkicker to spend too much time in positions that don't allow him to impose himself on the scoreboard. And obviously playing both well inside the fifty would cause clogging of space and would detract from the confidence of one of if not both players. All in all there are too many ifs involved and if it came down to a choice between Jones and Hooper, it would be Hooper in a heart beat for mine purely because we need more of his type.

1eyedog
08-09-2010, 10:42 PM
Re: Hargrave, sure he doesn't make us top heavy but neither do Fisher, Dempsey, Gilbert and Mackie who JH40 mentioned who I was replying to.

Re: Jones and Hall, if either were to play as the traditional CHF, it would probably be Hall as CHF takes both very good smarts and a good tank to play well, I'm not sure Jones will compete all that well at CHF on this basis. If Hall were to play CHF, he would spend a lot of his time outside of the fifty and we can't really afford our number one goalkicker to spend too much time in positions that don't allow him to impose himself on the scoreboard. And obviously playing both well inside the fifty would cause clogging of space and would detract from the confidence of one of if not both players. All in all there are too many ifs involved and if it came down to a choice between Jones and Hooper, it would be Hooper in a heart beat for mine purely because we need more of his type.

Loath to have too many changes but I've have Jones in for Hahn and Hooper in for Higgins. Wood to come in for Callan or Addison, Harbrow to go back.

Swoop
08-09-2010, 11:01 PM
Something tells me not to rule out Roughead just yet, question for all those arm chair selectors out there, if Roughead is declared fit to play does he come straight back in at Minson's expense?

bornadog
08-09-2010, 11:13 PM
Something tells me not to rule out Roughead just yet, question for all those arm chair selectors out there, if Roughead is declared fit to play does he come straight back in at Minson's expense?

He probably wood. Minson, although a better ruckman (at this stage) has not been good around the ground. I think he only had 5 disposals last week.

Remi Moses
09-09-2010, 04:43 AM
In-roughy(fitness permits) Wood Hooper (lose the conservatism MC for once)
Everitt(take Goodes)

Out -Higgins,Minson,Hahn,Addison

becmatty
09-09-2010, 05:24 AM
if Roughead is declared fit to play does he come straight back in at Minson's expense?

Regardless of Roughead's fitness, Minson must not hold his place after that performance.

I hope like hell that Roughead is fit, as I fear a repeat of Sydney's ruck dominace if Huddo has to go it alone or with a part-time back up ruckman.

Bulldog Joe
09-09-2010, 09:22 AM
Regardless of Roughead's fitness, Minson must not hold his place after that performance.
I hope like hell that Roughead is fit, as I fear a repeat of Sydney's ruck dominace if Huddo has to go it alone or with a part-time back up ruckman.

If you are concerned with Sydney's rucks Minson must be retained.

His ruckwork against Collingwood was actually good as it usually is. His game was hampered by frees paid against him and at least 2 of those were simply terrible decisions. The umpires did rob him of a goal when he made a terrific effort to spoil Jolly and kicked a left foot goal from the crumb he created.

Desipura
09-09-2010, 09:51 AM
If you are concerned with Sydney's rucks Minson must be retained.

His ruckwork against Collingwood was actually good as it usually is. His game was hampered by frees paid against him and at least 2 of those were simply terrible decisions. The umpires did rob him of a goal when he made a terrific effort to spoil Jolly and kicked a left foot goal from the crumb he created.
I think you are overrating his performance. I know you are a fan of Minsons.
On the second bolded bit, when isnt Minson's game hampered by frees paid against him?

Mantis
09-09-2010, 10:00 AM

Minson will do a much better job than a part-timer and for that reason alone he must play.

I haven't even brought Roughead into calculations as his shoulder is obviously weakened and we can't afford to take a risk on a 'fringe' player.

Mofra
09-09-2010, 10:11 AM
I'm not so sure - our weakest point in the F50 is defensive pressure, something kids like Jones & Hooper excel at.
The only time I've seen Jones & Hall spoil each other was one occasion, outside of the F50 - they split the tall defenders very well and I think Jones in the side would help Hall, especially considerign Sydney don't play the bigger MCG that well - anything that creates space in the F50 should be encouraged. I have him ahead of Hahn as a forward.

LostDoggy
09-09-2010, 10:19 AM
I'd keep Minson. Will be much better for the run. It was a big ask for Minson to come in having missed so many weeks and expect him to fit right in. Minson has always been the type that needs some continuity to play well. Roughhead was starting to taper off and then did his shoulders, again a big ask for Roughead to come in and play well with that sort of lead in against a physical swans side. If Roughy gets hurt again, we go with Minson again next week again with no continuity.

Desipura
09-09-2010, 10:31 AM
Minson will do a much better job than a part-timer and for that reason alone he must play.

I haven't even brought Roughead into calculations as his shoulder is obviously weakened and we can't afford to take a risk on a 'fringe' player.
Would you play both Minson & Jones?

Mantis
09-09-2010, 10:36 AM
Would you play both Minson & Jones?

Yes.

My changes would be:

In: Jones, Everitt, Wood, Moles

Out: Higgins, Hahn, Eagleton, Addison

bornadog
09-09-2010, 10:39 AM
Yes.

My changes would be:

Knowing past history, Hahn, Eagle and Addo will not be dropped, even though they should:mad:

Desipura
09-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Yes.

My changes would be:

Does Minson go to the bench when not rucking or does he go 3rd man up in a marking contest in our forward line?

Mantis
09-09-2010, 10:45 AM
Does Minson go to the bench when not rucking or does he go 3rd man up in a marking contest?

What the hell does that mean?

When Minson isn't rucking I would have him up forward which could co-incide with Hall or Jones resting. I wouldn't be keen to have more than 2 talls (from Hall, Jones & Minson) in our forwardline at any one time.

Doc26
09-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Yes.

My changes would be:

Not sure about bringing Moles in after his last effort against the Swans.
4 kicks, the equal lowest, and as a running mid, and without Cooney, just doesn't cut it whatever way you look at it.

Into the lions den, but I'd hold on Eagleton over Moles.

The rest of the changes are spot on.

Desipura
09-09-2010, 11:18 AM
What the hell does that mean?

When Minson isn't rucking I would have him up forward which could co-incide with Hall or Jones resting. I wouldn't be keen to have more than 2 talls (from Hall, Jones & Minson) in our forwardline at any one time.
You knew what I meant. You would not have all 3 playing in the forward line at the same time.

bornadog
09-09-2010, 11:21 AM
4 kicks, the equal lowest, and as a running mid, and without Cooney, just doesn't cut it whatever way you look at it.

I am not sold on Moles either at this stage.

Desipura
09-09-2010, 11:25 AM
In fact you said "he is not up to AFL standard" were your words ;)

Mantis
09-09-2010, 11:33 AM

I am just completely over Eagleton.

On form you could mount a strong case for him holding his spot for this weeks game as he did quite well against Sydney & Essendon in our previous 2 games, but I am just sick & tired of him stinking it up against good teams and for that reason alone he has to go.

Desipura
09-09-2010, 11:36 AM

On form you could mount a strong case for him holding his spot for this weeks game as he did quite well against Sydney & Essendon in our previous 2 games, but I am just sick & tired of him stinking it up against good teams and for that reason alone he has to go.
He could assist in getting us in a preliminary final though. ;)

bornadog
09-09-2010, 11:36 AM
In fact you said "he is not up to AFL standard" were your words ;)

and I hope he proves me wrong.

Doc26
09-09-2010, 11:41 AM

To the merriment of a few it is also a distinct possibility of being Eagleton's last game, and not that I would ever endorse selection for sentiment sake particularly with a final at stake but in a similar vein to the Johnson banter it would also be good to see him off on a positive note. If only Akermanis had accepted his place in his final year as what Nathan would at least appear to have done.

With both Johnson and Eagleton potentially playing their last game it may give them some added impetus to go out on a high, for them and the team, and in doing so may help in some way to lift what appears a downtrodden group who would appear to need something to get them back on the rails.

Moles had a damn good opportunity in Round 21 to cement a place over someone exactly like Nathan but imo just hasn't earnt the right to displace Eagleton for this match.

Mantis
09-09-2010, 11:44 AM
He could assist in getting us in a preliminary final though. ;)

I doubt it.

He played poorly against Sydney in the 08 SF except for a junk-time cameo. He did play well agaisnt Brisbane in last years SF, but that was a game we completely dominated and Eagleton has a habit of excelling in those games. So of the last 7 finals he has played he has been good in just 1.... That's not good enough by my reckoning.

Look he will probably play and he might do ok... I just don't think he deserves his spot.

And what the hell is the 'wink' for?

Desipura
09-09-2010, 11:47 AM
I doubt it.

He played poorly against Sydney in the 08 SF except for a junk-time cameo. He did play well agaisnt Brisbane in last years SF, but that was a game we completely dominated and Eagleton has a habit of excelling in those games. So of the last 7 finals he has played he has been good in just 1.... That's not good enough by my reckoning.

Look he will probably play and he might do ok... I just don't think he deserves his spot.

And what the hell is the 'wink' for?
Thats twice you have used the word "hell" today. (wink would be apprpriate, but dont want you to get angry).
I was playing devils advocate. If there was a middle finger, I would consider using it now.

The Coon Dog
09-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Thats twice you have used the word "hell" today. (wink would be apprpriate, but dont want you to get angry).
I was playing devils advocate. If there was a middle finger, I would consider using it now.

http://fc01.deviantart.com/images/emoticons/odd/icon_finger.gif

Doc26
09-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Although nowhere near as much on the line but I can't help but recall this game back in '04

August 2004 – The Western Bulldogs faithful bid farewell to two of their favourite sons, with Club stalwarts Matthew Croft and Simon Garlick playing their farewell matches against the Kangaroos at the Telstra Dome in round 21. The Western Bulldogs rose to the occasion for the retiring duo and send them out on the best possible note, winning the match by 30 points. In fitting fashion, both Croft and Garlick put in superb efforts in their swansong matches, Croft kicking five goals and Garlick kicking two goals and gathering 14 possessions. New coach Rodney Eade watches the impressive effort from the grand stand.

C'mon boys friggin lift for the occasion.

Mantis
09-09-2010, 11:56 AM

If there was an emoticon for 'Reaching thru the computer screen to deliver a Liverpool kiss to person on other side' I would be using that one now.

Desipura
09-09-2010, 11:59 AM
If there was an emoticon for 'Reaching thru the computer screen to deliver a Liverpool kiss to person on other side' I would be using that one now.
No prizes for 2nd.

Mantis
09-09-2010, 12:04 PM
No surprises for 2nd.

What's your deal Desi?

I really have a hard time working out what your motives are on here.

Doc26
09-09-2010, 12:12 PM

I could mount a strong case for him not holding his spot as well such as with his use of the ball which often leads to costly turnovers. I just can't mount a strong place for Brodie Moles to oust him. It's not like we're trying to find a spot for Joel Selwood to come back in. This is skirting the fringes and for me, for this week at least, the case for Eagleton outweighs Moles's inclusion.

Desipura
09-09-2010, 12:18 PM
What's your deal Desi?

I really have a hard time working out what your motives are on here.
Probably best to take it offline I would have thought. Anyway, here it goes. If I am having a go at you, then fine you can speak to me any way you wish.
I ask an innocent question and you post in a rude way.
If you have any further questions, please just pm me.

The Coon Dog
09-09-2010, 12:57 PM

http://psx-scene.com/forums/images/smilies/headbutt.gif

comrade
09-09-2010, 12:59 PM

Is there an emoticon for snorting out your coffee through your nose while laughing?

Desipura
09-09-2010, 01:03 PM
IT have removed it, damn!

bornadog
09-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Probably best to take it offline I would have thought. Anyway, here it goes. If I am having a go at you, then fine you can speak to me any way you wish.
I ask an innocent question and you post in a rude way.
If you have any further questions, please just pm me.

Mantis must have had a bad holiday as he has come back a little grumpy:D

The Coon Dog
09-09-2010, 01:14 PM
Is there an emoticon for snorting out your coffee through your nose while laughing?
Not quite.

http://freerangetalk.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_spit.gif

Desipura
09-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Not quite.

http://freerangetalk.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_spit.gif

Nice....I was expecting one of those youtubes similar to that guy who was so pi$$ed off with work he threw the computer and everything else on his desk against a wall.

Mantis
09-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Mantis must have had a bad holiday as he has come back a little grumpy:D

I had a great holiday, thanks for asking.

bornadog
09-09-2010, 01:39 PM
I had a great holiday, thanks for asking.

The bulldogs performance spoilt your return. All we can do is hope for a win on Saturday to cheer us all up.

LostDoggy
09-09-2010, 01:49 PM
You rock at emoticons TCD.

The Moles vs Eagle decision is a toughy and with a full squad I would not pick either.

One would almost have to sit and write a list of strengths and weaknesses.

Eagle is likely to bob up when we are ahead and help keep us ahead, where as Moles would be more likely trying to get us there.

Eagle has far better skills but Moles is younger.

I would have eagle in this week instead of Moles, I think Eagle may kick three. Next week is a different story, I would pick Moles unless there is someone else to bring in, I would not pick Eagle in a tough prelim even if Eagle kicks 8 this week. I think this sort of selection choice has been an issue over the last 3 years, we seem to be loyal rather than clever when a more senior player is involved.

Ovatheboarder
10-09-2010, 10:25 AM
I see Roughy is named at Willi and Will to face the Swannies.... Most on here by my calculations would rather have it the other way around. Thoughts??

For what it is worth i really like the ins, will add a much needed new dimension.

Mantis
10-09-2010, 10:29 AM
I see Roughy is named at Willi and Will to face the Swannies.... Most on here by my calculations would rather have it the other way around. Thoughts??

I think there are still some doubts on Roughy's shoulder which is probably why this decision has been made.

LostDoggy
10-09-2010, 10:33 AM
We have been on the MC's back all year about playing injured/not fit players.

Now we are asking to play Roughead with a dodgy shoulder?

To me this is one decision the MC have got right.

The Pie Man
10-09-2010, 12:28 PM
We have been on the MC's back all year about playing injured/not fit players.

Now we are asking to play Roughead with a dodgy shoulder?

To me this is one decision the MC have got right.

Also gives Will a chance at redemption, I expect him to play a lot better tomorrow and perhaps even clunk a few forward.

mjp
10-09-2010, 03:39 PM
I expect him to play a lot better tomorrow and perhaps even clunk a few forward.

1/.I expect him to play a lot better.
2/.I have no expectation of him taking more than one-mark up forward. He is one of those guys who LOOKS dangerous, but never actually IS dangerous.

EasternWest
10-09-2010, 05:43 PM
1/.I expect him to play a lot better.
2/.I have no expectation of him taking more than one-mark up forward. He is one of those guys who LOOKS dangerous, but never actually IS dangerous.

I don't know why he continues to wait till the ball is near then half leaps for a mark from behind. His timing is usually awful (see his attempted spoil/free kick against on Jolley for exactly what I mean).

If he has the time, I would be telling him to get next to his opponent early and body him out at the last minute. I actually think with his brute strength he could be very effective at this.