PDA

View Full Version : 3rd man up

Sedat
04-09-2010, 11:47 PM
Why? When both Cross and Boyd tapped it out in separate ruck contests, straight to Dane Swan, you had to laugh. One mid short at the stoppage every single time, great way to get smashed in the contested possessions.

Mantis
05-09-2010, 12:50 AM
Yep, it's a bloody stupid tactic that should only be used spareingly .ie. if we are a point behind with a minute to go and we need to clear a congestion.

We use it far too often and shows we are lacking imagination around the stoppage.

Scorlibo
05-09-2010, 12:58 AM
Yep, it's a bloody stupid tactic that should only be used spareingly .ie. if we are a point behind with a minute to go and we need to clear a congestion.

We use it far too often and shows we are lacking imagination around the stoppage.

Every time there was a stoppage tonight I breathed a sigh of relief, because it is easily the most competitive part of the team's performance. It's on the turnover that we're woeful, as well as with the ball, which is a bad mix. The third man up has worked mostly well for us in games past, Boyd especially has made an art of plucking the pill from the skies and making something good happen. Cross' double fisters are more or less ineffective except when against Sandilands, or in a close game, as you said Mantis.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-09-2010, 01:13 AM
Been saying this for weeks.

Boyd and Cross cost us every single time they do it. Why do the coaching staff allow it to keep happening?

Jesus, we've got some problems.

Rocco Jones
05-09-2010, 01:16 AM
Same thing with every vice of Cross and Boyd, Eade just tolerates it.

I have heard about him wanting the pair to be more accountable but how hard is that followed through? Eade obviously sees them as the benchmark for intensity and leaders, which Boyd the captain in waiting.

Sedat
05-09-2010, 01:27 AM
I have heard about him wanting the pair to be more accountable but how hard is that followed through?
Pretty hard to be accountable to your direct opponent when you're too busy imitating a 183 cm Simon Madden. Meanwhile your direct opponent wins another clearance and yet another contested possession.

I hate this tactic.

Rocco Jones
05-09-2010, 01:29 AM
Pretty hard to be accountable to your direct opponent when you're too busy imitating a 183 cm Simon Madden. Meanwhile your direct opponent wins another clearance and yet another contested possession.

I hate this tactic.

Yep, I agree. Just think they are pretty accountable when their feet are on the ground as well.

I see them in the favourites group Eade and co have and they pretty much get away with whatever they want due to having such great intensity. I would have though working hard for your team by pressuring your opponent would be part of intensity but Eade has the pair as the benchmarks for intensity so go figure.