PDA

View Full Version : A tale of two draft picks today

Dry Rot
05-09-2010, 12:02 AM
Two finals were played today, and the Hawks and Dogs were well beaten (mind you, I thoughts the Hawks had a go unlike most of our team).

Made me think of the old draft pick argument, Franklin v Griffen.

But in two well beaten sides, IMO Griffen >>>>>>> Franklin.

Thoughts?

Scorlibo
05-09-2010, 12:33 AM
Griffen has more heart in his little finger than Buddy does. I think that pretty much sums up why I personally would take Griff ahead of all others in that draft over again. Deledio is the only one I would consider, and even then I think if Griff learns how to flick his big game switch in regular games, regularly, he will achieve greater things than any of the other 04 picks.

Greystache
05-09-2010, 12:34 AM
Two finals were played today, and the Hawks and Dogs were well beaten (mind you, I thoughts the Hawks had a go unlike most of our team).

Made me think of the old draft pick argument, Franklin v Griffen.

But in two well beaten sides, IMO Griffen >>>>>>> Franklin.

Thoughts?

He is the one player at our club who consistently steps up when the moment comes. He should be proud of himself tonight and his team mates should aspire to emulate him.

comrade
05-09-2010, 12:37 AM
What a performance.

He was playing on one leg, but still gutted out some lung bursting runs and kept battling right until the end.

Gun.

MrMahatma
05-09-2010, 12:38 AM
True - but to be fair to Franklin the delivery into the F50 by Hawthorn was about as bad as I've seen this season. They were woeful. Just bombed it away. Buddy is a lead up forward, and they kept dropping it on his head.

Dry Rot
05-09-2010, 12:48 AM
He is the one player at our club who consistently steps up when the moment comes. He should be proud of himself tonight and his team mates should aspire to emulate him.

And therefore should be our next captain IMO.

Dry Rot
05-09-2010, 12:49 AM
What a performance.

He was playing on one leg, but still gutted out some lung bursting runs and kept battling right until the end.

Gun.

Hodge like. Very admirable, but sadly had no mates tonight.

comrade
05-09-2010, 12:54 AM
Hodge like. Very admirable, but sadly had no mates tonight.

I thought Williams, Ward, Picken, Huddo, Murphy and Callan all fought to the end. Not necessarily beat their opponent, but definitely didn't chuck it in.

The rest of them were shithouse.

Greystache
05-09-2010, 12:56 AM

I said the same thing tonight at the game, but I don't know if he's really cut out for it.

I have actually been a critic of Griffen over the journey but these days I don't give a shit if he's a bit inconsistent during the H&A season because he's one bloke that steps up the level required at finals time every year, and for me I'd take that over a H&A specialst every time.

Rocco Jones
05-09-2010, 12:57 AM
I thought Williams, Ward, Picken, Huddo, Murphy and Callan all fought to the end. Not necessarily beat their opponent, but definitely didn't chuck it in.

Agreed.

Earlier in the season I mentioned that we should only play Williams when there were suitable match ups. I must say I have been impressed with his form in the latter part of the season and think he can definitely hold his head up high tonight.

Dry Rot
05-09-2010, 12:59 AM

Which is why Callan should play next IMO.

And of the players you named, only Murphy and Hudson could be considered senior or leaders.

Which therefore says even less about a number of others IMO.

Remi Moses
05-09-2010, 12:59 AM
I said the same thing tonight at the game, but I don't know if he's really cut out for it.

I have actually been a critic of Griffen over the journey but these days I don't give a shit if he's a bit inconsistent during the H&A season because he's one bloke that steps up the level required at finals time every year, and for me I'd take that over a H&A specialst every time.

He was great tonight and had few mates.

The Pie Man
05-09-2010, 01:00 AM
Griffen has been brilliant, and may have a better overall career than Buddy (maybe)

But if we're playing a AFL 360 style 'who would you rather be' (which I know isn't the threads central theme) I take Franklin....he won a flag after demolishing us in the QF

The Bulldogs Bite
05-09-2010, 01:08 AM
Super impressive Griff. He's just born for September, isn't he? Wonderful to watch. Head and shoulders above the rest of our list.

Doc26
05-09-2010, 01:11 AM
Super impressive Griff. He's just born for September, isn't he? Wonderful to watch. Head and shoulders above the rest of our list.

Super stuff tonight by Griff and on one leg.

LostDoggy
05-09-2010, 01:38 AM

I thought Addison gave a yelp. Disposal not the best but was always making it to a contest.

LostDoggy
05-09-2010, 02:06 AM

Agree with that summation. Except Murphy beat Macaffer every contest.

MrMahatma
05-09-2010, 02:45 AM
I thought Addison gave a yelp. Disposal not the best but was always making it to a contest.
We seem to have a handful of guys who give everything but have poor skills, a load of guys who look good in space but can't be bothered with 2nd/3rd efforts, and only a very small number of guys who you'd describe as a good football 'package'.

Our list has gone from one of speed and good skills to slow plodders who waste the ball. It's been a remarkable shift.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-09-2010, 02:51 AM
We seem to have a handful of guys who give everything but have poor skills, a load of guys who look good in space but can't be bothered with 2nd/3rd efforts, and only a very small number of guys who you'd describe as a good football 'package'.

Our list has gone from one of speed and good skills to slow plodders who waste the ball. It's been a remarkable shift.

Agreed.

Watching games from the '06 season and comparing them to '10 - it's incredible.

chef
05-09-2010, 07:59 AM

He should be, but we all know he won't be:(

Bumper Bulldogs
05-09-2010, 08:23 AM
the other thing to add to all the other posters here, We don't have to worry about Griff getting any marks against his name for testing positive for substance

Topdog
05-09-2010, 08:59 AM

I'd add in Gia and Lake to the list that played pretty well.

stefoid
05-09-2010, 09:17 AM
A for effort but 47% disposal efficiency.

Ball use is out biggest prob as a team.

Studentlib
05-09-2010, 10:07 AM
IIRC, wasn't Griffin captain of South Australian U18 team? If so someone noticed he had leadership qualities at an early age. His goal was one of our few highlights. A great effort to get so much heavy traffic ball. His disposal was haphazard but with no blocking or protection from other midfielders that i saw, he was always under severe pressure. The only midfielder Pies had to worry about and he still ended up our best player ( with apologies to Hudson).
Probably off thread but why are our players so poor at providing space and time for Griffin and Cooney to more effective? That seems to be what other teams do for their best playmakers. This would make Griffin / Buddy decision more of an even choice.

Jasper
05-09-2010, 10:18 AM
For the long term (assuming his knees hold up) Griffen is a better pick. His work in finals has been outstanding.

But gee in 2008, I reckon Buddy could have nearly won us a grand final...nearly

LostDoggy
05-09-2010, 10:32 AM

Oi I think one A.Cooney would have somethin to say on that :D

mjp
05-09-2010, 11:34 AM

Was captain of SA at u18 level...why do you think he isn't cut out for it?

BornInDroopSt'54
05-09-2010, 11:42 AM
IIRC, wasn't Griffin captain of South Australian U18 team? If so someone noticed he had leadership qualities at an early age. His goal was one of our few highlights. A great effort to get so much heavy traffic ball. His disposal was haphazard but with no blocking or protection from other midfielders that i saw, he was always under severe pressure. The only midfielder Pies had to worry about and he still ended up our best player ( with apologies to Hudson).
Probably off thread but why are our players so poor at providing space and time for Griffin and Cooney to more effective? That seems to be what other teams do for their best playmakers. This would make Griffin / Buddy decision more of an even choice.

Agreed Griffen is definitely captain material. Was given the microphone and accepted a few times early on in his career and was touted then as a captain. Things canged a bit with his fathers illness and death, but his finals performances show his leadership qualities.
It was a great draft and how good would it be to have Delidio and Buddy, but Griffen for mine especially as he's shown his commitment with his new contract.

SlimPickens
05-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Griff stood up when it counted last night...leadership written all over him. Not to mention his comments during the week after re-signing. The other tale of last night is what i hope is the coming of age of T.Williams (same draft), fantastic effort. Clearly beat Cloke!

1eyedog
05-09-2010, 11:52 AM

^^^^^^^^^ This

Greystache
05-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Was captain of SA at u18 level...why do you think he isn't cut out for it?

Under 18 captaincy doesn't mean much, as you know, they tend to just give it to the best player.

I don't know him personally but he seems to shy away from public attention and I'm not sure the captaincy would sit that well with him. Having said that we have almost zero leadership anyway so perhaps we should try and make someone into a leader.

mjp
05-09-2010, 05:34 PM
Under 18 captaincy doesn't mean much, as you know, they tend to just give it to the best player.

Disagree.

Butcher was the captain of WA this year - he wasn't the best player and possibly not in the best dozen.

Topdog
05-09-2010, 08:35 PM
A for effort but 47% disposal efficiency.

Ball use is out biggest prob as a team.

If you have no one providing a decent option and no one blocking for you your stats tend to look worse than they are. He was BOG.

EasternWest
06-09-2010, 07:41 PM

It's Griffen with an e.

LongWait
06-09-2010, 07:49 PM
The club needs to move heaven and earth to retain Griffen - he is a rare talent, electrifying and inspiring and a big game player. The Bullies fans are growing to really love him because of these qualities. A "must re-sign" player in my view.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-09-2010, 08:08 PM
The club needs to move heaven and earth to retain Griffen - he is a rare talent, electrifying and inspiring and a big game player. The Bullies fans are growing to really love him because of these qualities. A "must re-sign" player in my view.

We have, re-signed till end of 2012 last week.

LostDoggy
09-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Well, Franklin has been picked in the Herald Sun Team of the Year, and Griff not even mentioned.. I suppose it was probably a leaner year for key forwards than good midfielders, if I were being kind.