PDA

View Full Version : Just Sad

always right
05-09-2010, 12:41 AM
I watched the game through to the end tonight. I didn't feel angry or bitter....just sad.

Sad to see Johnno try and eke out every last game when he is a mere shadow of his former self. Hearing the pies rabble jeering him whenever he went near the ball was embarrassing.

Sad to see Higgins doing everything half heartedly. If he isn't fit (and he looks nowhere near it) you have to question his decision to make himself available and the MC for selecting him.

Sad to see Hahn outsized and outplayed in defense by C-grade players. Should really reconsider going on next year.

Sad to see Callan Ward still unable to kick with any power when shooting for goal.

Sad to see a team that has had the heart ripped out of it with injuries and a dramatic drop in form amongst too many players. They are simply limping from week to week with no belief.

angelopetraglia
05-09-2010, 12:59 AM
I watched the game through to the end tonight. I didn't feel angry or bitter....just sad.

Similar emotions tonight. Was so bitter last year when we lost to the Saints and Cats as I thought we had our chances to win both games if we stood up at the crucial times.

Was not even that upset tonight. Just saddened by the fact that we are not good enough and another absolute legend of our football club will not even get the chance to play on the last Saturday in September.

jazzadogs
05-09-2010, 01:15 AM
If we lose next week I'll be upset. I had absolutely no expectation going in to tonight, and just sat through the whole thing wondering where everything went wrong this year.

Greystache
05-09-2010, 01:20 AM
I was sad tonight watching a mature team who is supposed to be in a premiership window that has absolutely no leadership. Just sad.

Remi Moses
05-09-2010, 01:20 AM
I think Gerard Whately summed it up when he said Hypewood fans have no dignity .
I'd go as close to saying they've got no Class either!
It's incredible to see how quickly some players tip over the edge Hahn's just lost 5 yards,Johnno's shot and the Eagle was just doing what he's done his whole career (turned it up when we most need him)

AndrewP6
05-09-2010, 01:22 AM
Agree with the general view here... Unfortunately the result didn't surprise me that much :( Just not good enough.

comrade
05-09-2010, 01:24 AM
Nope, I'm not sad - I'm pissed off.

No leadership.
No faith in our youth.
Blind faith in team 'favourites'.

Things need to change.

MrMahatma
05-09-2010, 03:11 AM
Nope, I'm not sad - I'm pissed off.

No leadership.
No faith in our youth.
Blind faith in team 'favourites'.

Things need to change.
Agree. I'm seriously p1ssed off.

I really, REALLY don't get it. Injuries have hurt. Fair to say Eagle & Hahn wouldn't have played had Cooney & Morris been available. At least I damn well hope so. However they're clearly past it. Better to see how Everitt/Hill/Moles go in a final than play guys who CLEARLY (and I mean, you'd have to be blind not to see) are no longer up to it.

I've been in a crappy mood all day today since the game. And I have to go to a rubbish fancy dress party dressed like some 1920's twat tonight. I'm getting drunk. Real drunk.

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 09:06 AM
Agree. I'm seriously p1ssed off.

I really, REALLY don't get it. Injuries have hurt. Fair to say Eagle & Hahn wouldn't have played had Cooney & Morris been available. At least I damn well hope so. However they're clearly past it. Better to see how Everitt/Hill/Moles go in a final than play guys who CLEARLY (and I mean, you'd have to be blind not to see) are no longer up to it.

I've been in a crappy mood all day today since the game. And I have to go to a rubbish fancy dress party dressed like some 1920's twat tonight. I'm getting drunk. Real drunk.

Understand everyone's sentiments here, but Mr.Mahatma, your post actually made me smile, and for that I sincerely thank you!

Ozza
06-09-2010, 10:49 AM
Definitely sad to see Johnno going out in this fashion after 16 years previously of amazing footy.

I'm very very disappointed in the coach and match committee over how this season has been run and how we have been coached. Similar sentiments to Comrade's comments above.

And I really want to unleash on Higgins, but I don't think I have the energy...much like him on game days.

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Sums it up for me too.
I honestly hope we go out in straight sets, just to drive home the point that we have serious problems down at the kennel, and that a major review is required.

Jasper
06-09-2010, 12:52 PM
I was sad tonight watching a mature team who is supposed to be in a premiership window that has absolutely no leadership. Just sad.

Leadership is a cliche.
We are simply outclassed against the Top 3.

Nothing more, nothing less.
Our leadership looked great when we smashed Freo, Kangas & Blues.

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 03:08 PM
Leadership is a cliche.

On the contrary.

Everything rests on leadership. I think you may have slightly confused cause and effect -- the Top 3 didn't become the Top 3 by default, leadership (and a culture built by the right leadership) got them up there. Leadership off the field, from board level down to the medical staff, to recruit the right people and get the right structures and systems in place, and on the field, where people lead by example and play above themselves from week to week, and where the right behaviours are demanded and rewarded.

Of course talent (and lots of luck) comes into it, but there has to be a reason why, despite years of equalisation funds, drafts etc. Richmond, with a thousand first round picks, has only played one final and watched talented players waste away into nothingness, while Sydney, with recycled players galore, finish top 8 year after year, and see those recycled players rejuvenated and reinvented into mature winners. Talent is why West Coast won a premiership, lack of leadership is why they haven't been back to the finals in half a decade, leadership is why Sydney have won one, and keeps going back for a dip with a list often said to be less talented than West Coast's at the same time.

Desipura
06-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Leadership is a cliche.

Are you the same Captain Groenewagon that is not renewing his mebership if Gia is made captain?

aker39
06-09-2010, 03:17 PM
Are you the same Captain Groenewagon that is not renewing his mebership if Gia is made captain?

No he is not.

I have actually been meaning to suggest to this Capt that he may want to think about changing his name.

Greystache
06-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Leadership is a cliche.

Leaders are players who step up when the game goes up a level, such as it does in finals. You could be playing your first or 350th game, it doesn't matter, the player that recognises the moment and lifts is a leader. Griffin showed on Sarurday night he's a leader, Johnson, Higgins, Gia, Boyd, Cross, Gilbee, and Hargrave showed they're not.

Leadership is inconsequential when you're beating up on a struggling team and everything is going your way, it's when you need a group to turn the tide your way that it means something, and I'm sad to say we have virtually no one who can do it.

Making public statement about belief, demanding the highest standards off the field, and demoting fringe players to the reserves for not adhering to team values are a cliche when the people doing it fail to stand up when the crunch comes. That's a cliche!

Jasper
06-09-2010, 05:05 PM
Leaders are players who step up when the game goes up a level, such as it does in finals. You could be playing your first or 350th game, it doesn't matter, the player that recognises the moment and lifts is a leader. Griffin showed on Sarurday night he's a leader, Johnson, Higgins, Gia, Boyd, Cross, Gilbee, and Hargrave showed they're not.

Making public statement about belief, demanding the highest standards off the field, and demoting fringe players to the reserves for not adhering to team values are a cliche when the people doing it fail to stand up when the crunch comes. That's a cliche!

So on that basis Leigh Brown is a leader. Dale Thomas is a leader.
I think you're confusing fit, confident, skilled, well drilled footballers with leaders.

We need the former not the latter

Greystache
06-09-2010, 05:11 PM
So on that basis Leigh Brown is a leader. Dale Thomas is a leader.
I think you're confusing fit, confident, skilled, well drilled footballers with leaders.

We need the former not the latter

No I'm not, but perhaps you are. They played well against a team who went to water under pressure. Whether they are leaders or not will be proven when they play a team that can lift for a big game, most likely Geelong in the prelim, and my prediction is they'll struggle.

Sockeye Salmon
06-09-2010, 09:29 PM
Leadership is a cliche.

This.

"Leadership" is what pretend supporters whinge about when they're slagging off what is supposed to be their team. In reality it's a bollocks word that means nothing.

We are not as good as Collingwood, Geelong and St. Kilda. Perhaps if everything went perfectly we might have given them a shake, but it didn't, so we are still some way off.

We are slow and our depth is poor, but to slag off great servents of the club is a disgrace.

bornadog
06-09-2010, 09:39 PM
This.

"Leadership" is what pretend supporters whinge about when they're slagging off what is supposed to be their team. In reality it's a bollocks word that means nothing.

We are not as good as Collingwood, Geelong and St. Kilda. Perhaps if everything went perfectly we might have given them a shake, but it didn't, so we are still some way off.

We are slow and our depth is poor, but to slag off great servents of the club is a disgrace.

Hear Hear SS

Desipura
07-09-2010, 09:24 AM
This.

Is everything that simplistic with you?