bornadog
06-09-2010, 01:12 PM
stay tuned at 2.30pm

aker39
SEN saying it will be announced at 2.30

Mantis
Effective immediately or will he play the season out?

Desipura
06-09-2010, 01:13 PM
SEN saying it will be announced at 2.30

Will play the finals series

bornadog
06-09-2010, 01:14 PM
Effective immediately or will he play the season out?

Not sure, coming up in press conference

chef
06-09-2010, 01:14 PM
EXCLUSIVE: WESTERN Bulldogs captain Brad Johnson will announce his retirement today.
Johnson will lead the Dogs in the sudden-death semi-final against Sydney on Saturday night, but will retire at the end of his team's finals campaign.

An announcement is expected shortly of a press conference at Whitten Oval.

Johnson is the Bulldogs' games record-holder with 362 games and has kicked 558 goals.

He has come under fire after a poor performance against Collingwood on Saturday night, and has struggled with injury all season.

Coach Rodney Eade has assured Johnson he will lead the team against the Swans.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/the-end-for-johnno/story-e6frf9jf-1225914742961

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 01:17 PM
I hope he plays on Saturday night. The supporters should be able to say goodbye. Where's the crying emoticon? :(

G-Mo77
06-09-2010, 01:20 PM
No surprises there.

Sad to see him go out like this, hopefully he can put together 3 great games to finish off his career.

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 01:20 PM
:( Makes this week so much more emotional. Need to get out there and get the job done for this amazing, smiling, leader of our club! Gotta stick it right up the Swans!

Murphy'sLore
06-09-2010, 01:28 PM
It's been so sad to see him limping (literally) through this season, sorry it's had to end this way. At least we get a chance to say good-bye.

Farewell our smiling warrior! Captain, our captain!

immortalmike
06-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Thus marks the end to my passion for the Bulldogs. I'll still be a supporter, I'll still be a member but I will no longer be sad all week after a loss, cry after losing a final or get angry when things don't go our way.

Brad may have just been one man but to me he was a symbol of my childhood devotion to the Footscray Football club, he was the last of the greats. He was my favourite player ever since I was thirteen. Farwell Johnno, you are a champion and I hope the players give you a send off worthy of you. And I hope the supporters get off your back long enough for you to enjoy it.

Thus ends the career of the last Footscray player...

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 01:37 PM

Play out season

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 01:39 PM
Thus marks the end to my passion for the Bulldogs. I'll still be a supporter, I'll still be a member but I will no longer be sad all week after a loss, cry after losing a final or get angry when things don't go our way.

Brad may have just been one man but to me he was a symbol of my childhood devotion to the Footscray Football club, he was the last of the greats. He was my favourite player ever since I was thirteen. Farwell Johnno, you are a champion and I hope the players give you a send off worthy of you. And I hope the supporters get off your back long enough for you to enjoy it.

What you said. Ok, you've just made me cry. :o

immortalmike
06-09-2010, 01:41 PM
What you said. Ok, you've just made me cry. :o

You aren't the only one.

Topdog
06-09-2010, 01:44 PM

Good. We can use this as a farewell game.

angelopetraglia
06-09-2010, 01:51 PM

Great post.

But the passion will live on. I felt the same when Doug Hawkins left, my childhood Bulldog hero. Similar feelings again when the great man Chris Grant retired. The next generation will carry the baton. The passion will be rekindled.

The one thing we have developed in the last couple of decades is a culture where most (not all) of our great champions have stayed to be one club players (i.e. Wynd, West, Grant, Smith, Johnson etc.). In previous generations our best players left (i.e. Quinlan, Dempsey, Round, Templeton etc.).

I'm hoping that this new Bulldog culture, while not ultimately delivering us the holy grail will instill this passion in the next generation (i.e. Cooney, Griffen, Higgins, Grant) that hopefully will ultimately delivery us a Premiership.

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 02:17 PM
Good. We can use this as a farewell game.

Should we? It's an elimination final, can't afford any passengers.

The great doco 'America's Game' was showcasing a great team from the '80s (I can't remember which one), but they were contrasting it with O.J.Simpson's team, where he was a superstar but the team was a pretty ordinary one. To a man, the players from the great team that I can't remember all denigrated O.J.'s team where they played the last game of the season not to win it (even though they still had a shot a a play-off spot) but kept giving O.J. the ball to help him break the season rushing record. In contrast, the great team (I really need to look them up!) didn't win any individual records, the quarterback barely made any touchdown passes etc., but they functioned like a well-oiled unit of professionals with a clear job to do.

Our job here is to win a damn premiership. We're still in it, and God knows things can change in football from week to week. Collingwood or the Saints could pick up a flu this week, for example. Are we going to sacrifice an elimination final that 10 other teams would give their eyeteeth to be in simply to farewell one of our favourite sons, no matter how great? Throw him a party after the game, make it a huge one, play a tribute game, make Round 1 next year Johnno round, have him go around in a motorcade, do whatever we have to do to honour Brad, but throwing a final away shouldn't be part of the equation.

Topdog
06-09-2010, 02:30 PM
Should we? No.
But he is a 100% certainty to play so as supporters we can use it as a farewell game.

Jasper
06-09-2010, 02:34 PM
The great doco 'America's Game' was showcasing a great team from the '80s (I can't remember which one), but they were contrasting it with O.J.Simpson's team, where he was a superstar but the team was a pretty ordinary one. To a man, the players from the great team that I can't remember all denigrated O.J.'s team where they played the last game of the season not to win it (even though they still had a shot a a play-off spot) but kept giving O.J. the ball to help him break the season rushing record. In contrast, the great team (I really need to look them up!) didn't win any individual records, the quarterback barely made any touchdown passes etc., but they functioned like a well-oiled unit of professionals with a clear job to do.

I suspect it would have been the Pittsburgh Steelers. They won 4 Superbowls in the 70's when OJ was in his prime.
OJ played for the Buffalo Bills who have still yet to win one (sound familiar)

I agree, although it will "feel nice" to give Johnno a farewell game, we really cannot justify him playing in the team ahead of Jones or Moles or even Everitt.
Stick him in the coaches box for the day and he can address the boys at every break if his mission is gonna be to give us an emotional lift.

Dry Rot
06-09-2010, 02:36 PM
Should we? No.

Wonder which of the Swans quick defenders Roos will put on him? Shaw?

But he is a 100% certainty to play so as supporters we can use it as a farewell game.

Hope he can get up for the game and go out on a good note.

Doc26
06-09-2010, 02:39 PM

Our job here is to win a damn premiership. We're still in it, and God knows things can change in football from week to week. Collingwood or the Saints could pick up a flu this week, for example. Are we going to sacrifice an elimination final that 10 other teams would give their eyeteeth to be in simply to farewell one of our favourite sons, no matter how great? Throw him a party after the game, make it a huge one, play a tribute game, make Round 1 next year Johnno round, have him go around in a motorcade, do whatever we have to do to honour Brad, but throwing a final away shouldn't be part of the equation.

I'm asking myself a similar question right now but feel in the pecking order of possible ins and outs that Johnson stays albeit just being last man standing. Possible if / not feasible outs would in my book be Hahn for Everitt, Wood for Addison, Minson for Roughead (IF available) and Higgins possibly for Jones or Moles. Not sure we need / should drop both Higgins and Johnson. You could swap Johnson for Higgins but either way their deficiencies right now are quite similar - neither can raise a gallop nor provide defensive forward pressure (as with Hahn when in forward line). I'd say keep Johnson for the emotion of the occasion and hopefully it provides some kind of lift to him and the Team even though it shouldn't be needed. If we were going the Hooper route as a possible in we should've trialled it out long ago as Collingwood did with Blair.

Either way it doesn't matter as Eade has already indicated he's a lock.

bornadog
06-09-2010, 02:41 PM
Should we? No.

Must use this as an extra spur.

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 02:42 PM

Who would you put in ? At least Brad will play with some passion that a lot lack at times. The CHAMPION will lift this week and hopefully the players will play for him .

Mantis
06-09-2010, 02:42 PM

That's crazy.

How much more motivation do you need than to hopefully win a GF at the end of the month.

Dry Rot
06-09-2010, 02:44 PM

Probably counterbalanced by the Swans playing for Kirk in similar circumstances.

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 02:54 PM
Probably counterbalanced by the Swans playing for Kirk in similar circumstances.

Hey, but Kirky has always been as slow as cold lava. He can still sort of do the things he's always done, albeit a little bit more creakily.

Johnno can't even pick the ball up, and this is a guy whose greatest value to the team over his career has been his marking, burst running and overall athleticism.

A Johnno who can't run is simply a slow outside player with questionable disposal.

ReLoad
06-09-2010, 02:58 PM
If this does not fire our boys up for the weekend NOTHING will.

Scorlibo

Ditto.

For me as a kid it was always the famous five of Bubba, Johnno, Westy, Darce and Grant.

Now the last of those players leaves and it marks a new era for the club and its supporters.

The Pie Man

True - though if we're talking extra spur outside of the finals being motivation enough, I think winning at home in front of their fans for Kirk was perhaps the spur for them.

I agree Mantis that finals should be all that's required - but they must be extremely flat ATM, and I do hope this can give us something for Saturday.

We've fallen on the soft side of the draw - I don't completely discount us making the GF to be honest (though not to win it) I think Sydney perhaps can sense the same opportunity

Collingwood will be spewing Geelong are now their likely prelim opponent.

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 03:04 PM
It has very distressing to watch such a great clubman go through a season like Johnno has. Love the guy (see hair in round one), But I do think that this year was not meant to be for Brad. From the opening round, where he barely made any effective contribution to the loss to Collingwood, to getting hit by the trainer's cart and then the ongoing constant need for a spell for several rounds here and there, in my opinion, has been detrimental. I know I will be scorned by some for saying so but, it has been the wrong call to play in 2010 for one Brad Johnson.

Desipura
06-09-2010, 03:11 PM
If we need an extra spur to win a final, we are in more serious trouble than I initially thought.

G-Mo77
06-09-2010, 03:15 PM
I know I will be scorned by some for saying so but, it has been the wrong call to play in 2010 for one Brad Johnson.

I don't think you'll be scorned I think everyone would agree but would you make that call at the end of 2009? I was happy for him, Aker and Eagleton to go on and in hindsight that was a mistake.

Doc26
06-09-2010, 03:17 PM
If we need an extra spur to win a final, we are in more serious trouble than I initially thought.

Desi that's still not saying we don't need it, a spur that is, will take anything at the moment :rolleyes: We are in more serious trouble than any of us would've thought at the start of the season and oddly we still ended up fourth.

Scorlibo
06-09-2010, 03:21 PM
I don't think you'll be scorned I think everyone would agree but would you make that call at the end of 2009? I was happy for him, Aker and Eagleton to go on and in hindsight that was a mistake.

Agreed, Johnno finished 4th in the B+F and there was no indication of him slowing down or being cruelled by injuries the way he has.

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Is there a link to the press confrence? can anybody find it?

aker39
06-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Is there a link to the press confrence? can anybody find it?

It will be on SEN

http://www.sen.com.au/

Sedat
06-09-2010, 03:31 PM
http://sportal.com.au/afl-news-display/johnson-to-retire-98065

Sportal reporting that it is with immediate effect??

Ozza
06-09-2010, 03:35 PM
When you have Bulldogs 'supporters' like the those on here digging the boots into Johnno when he's down - who needs enemies (like the Collingwood supporters).

aker39
06-09-2010, 03:38 PM
http://sportal.com.au/afl-news-display/johnson-to-retire-98065

Sportal reporting that it is with immediate effect??

Definetely playing this week

bornadog
06-09-2010, 03:48 PM

Yep, I am the enternal optimist but I can't see us winning without something to stir up the emotions.

Remi Moses
06-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Do it for Johnno is tripe!
If you need an extra spur in a FINAL you shouldn't be playing. Hope I'm wrong but it's unfair to have a player struggling so badly still playing!

Just for once put the club and it's progress ahead of the individual :eek:

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 03:59 PM
I can't pick up SEN at work and don't have sound on my computer - what's happening with the press conference? Thanks. :)

Desipura
06-09-2010, 04:00 PM
Yep, I am the enternal optimist but I can't see us winning without something to stir up the emotions.
Its a good trait, Im a realist as well as an optimist.;)

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Do it for Johnno is tripe!
If you need an extra spur in a FINAL you shouldn't be playing. Hope I'm wrong but it's unfair to have a player struggling so badly still playing!

Just for once put the club and it's progress ahead of the individual :eek:

Your right Remi but we needed something to happen, something had to give. I dont care if he touches it 10 times each one will be worth it. Hese won us countless games of his own boot just maybe he might have one left in him. :)

Mantis
06-09-2010, 04:05 PM
When you have Bulldogs 'supporters' like the those on here digging the boots into Johnno when he's down - who needs enemies (like the Collingwood supporters).

That's ridiculous.

Johnno has been a wonderful player, but is clearly not right which is meaning his output is reduced which isn't helping the team in it's quest to perform well at the business end of the season.

immortalmike
06-09-2010, 04:39 PM
That's ridiculous.

Johnno has been a wonderful player, but is clearly not right which is meaning his output is reduced which isn't helping the team in it's quest to perform well at the business end of the season.

After all the emotion (its sad to see a 25 year old fat man cry:o) I'm trying to be realistic now, who would be ahead of him. Hooper, Hill and Stack who have struggled recently in the VFL, or Jones who has massive potential but is also more likely to do a Leon Davis and be a liability and not even touch the ball. Johnno is still a great off-field leader, he'll bring 360 games of experience and while playing like crap last week still ended up with 17 disposals (one less than midfielder Callan Ward) and 2 tackles with his dierct opponent Heath Shaw only having 20 disposals (I felt he was relatively quiet compared to how he usually plays against us).

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 04:45 PM
There's the Heart view and the Head view.
Heart says Johnson plays. Head says he doesn't.
Given this is an Elimination final, it might actually be more of a spur to the team if Johnson doesn't play. That way he is making a statement that the team comes first and he will leave himself out because he wants them to succeed.

Lets not kid ourselves, every player out there knows Johnson is struggling and isn't in the team on merit.

If Johnson plays, he MUST play well because if he doesn't, there will always be the stigma that he put himself ahead of the team for this game.

cinder
06-09-2010, 04:47 PM
A sad day, definitely end of an era. He has been such a champion for the club it is a shame his injuries have gotten the better of him. I hope we can have a win for him on Saturday night. Thanks for everything Johnno.

Doc26
06-09-2010, 04:48 PM
After all the emotion (its sad to see a 25 year old fat man cry:o) I'm trying to be realistic now, who would be ahead of him. Hooper, Hill and Stack who have struggled recently in the VFL, or Jones who has massive potential but is also more likely to do a Leon Davis and be a liability and not even touch the ball. Johnno is still a great off-field leader, he'll bring 360 games of experience and while playing like crap last week still ended up with 17 disposals (one less than midfielder Callan Ward) and 2 tackles with his dierct opponent Heath Shaw only having 20 disposals (I felt he was relatively quiet compared to how he usually plays against us).

But doesn't this in itself say something about simply quouting a player's raw stats ? You viewed him as playing like crap, which he did, and yet he still racked up, well, adequate numbers. It has to be about 'when and how' and equally applied to their defensive efforts and not based on 'how many'.

chef
06-09-2010, 04:54 PM

These two guys should(and in leon's chance he does) get games for the pressure they put on the oppositions defenders under. IMO Mick loves Leon more for what he does when he hasn't got the ball rather than when he does.

Ozza
06-09-2010, 04:58 PM
That's ridiculous.

Everyone can have their opinion on whether he should play or not - thats fine - I've got no problem with that at all. But having supporters on the site say things like 'Captain selfish', that Johno is 'deluded', and that he 'can't even pick up the ball' - are not befitting of a champion - and the comments get to me - not the suggestion of whether he should play or not - its the snide comments and apparent anger directed towards him.

Personally, I'm not sure at this point who would come in for Johnson. And throwing magnets up in the air and seeing where they land isn't the answer. Hooper? Hill? Jones? are these blokes going to make the difference? - probably not. Hooper has never played AFL footy before, Hill has proved many times that he doesn't fit the intensity criteria and Jones will be something - but really struggled in his last couple of games.

Was Johnson worse than Ward, Higgins, Hahn, Eagleton, Minson and Grant? You can't drop all of them.

And I'm betting all of the money in my pockets - against all of the money in your pockets that the players want to play with Brad Johnson this weekend.

immortalmike
06-09-2010, 05:00 PM
But doesn't this in itself say something about simply quouting a player's raw stats ? It must be about 'when and how' and equally applied to their defensive efforts and not based on 'how many'.

He in was our top ten for tackles (not exactly hard I know) and his man was fairly quiet, also the game was basically played in our back half yet he was still able to get the ball. I'd rather a player who gets the pill than someone like Minson who gets 4 touches for the whole game or Moles who struggled against an out of form Essendon. Right now Johnno is player number 22. Can someone give me a better option weighing up the positives and negatives?

immortalmike
06-09-2010, 05:03 PM
These two guys should(and in leon's chance he does) get games for the pressure they put on the oppositions defenders under. IMO Mick loves Leon more for what he does when he hasn't got the ball rather than when he does.

Davis had 2 tackles on Saturday night. The same as Brad Johnson.

Doc26
06-09-2010, 05:09 PM
He in was our top ten for tackles (not exactly hard I know) and his man was fairly quiet, also the game was basically played in our back half yet he was still able to get the ball. I'd rather a player who gets the pill than someone like Minson who gets 4 touches for the whole game or Moles who struggled against an out of form Essendon. Right now Johnno is player number 22. Can someone give me a better option weighing up the positives and negatives?

Actually right now, subject to other changes, I probably have him at about 21 for this week so I must be slightly higher in the fan stakes ;)

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 05:16 PM
Everyone can have their opinion on whether he should play or not - thats fine - I've got no problem with that at all. But having supporters on the site say things like 'Captain selfish', that Johno is 'deluded', and that he 'can't even pick up the ball' - are not befitting of a champion - and the comments get to me - not the suggestion of whether he should play or not - its the snide comments and apparent anger directed towards him.

Personally, I'm not sure at this point who would come in for Johnson. And throwing magnets up in the air and seeing where they land isn't the answer. Hooper? Hill? Jones? are these blokes going to make the difference? - probably not. Hooper has never played AFL footy before, Hill has proved many times that he doesn't fit the intensity criteria and Jones will be something - but really struggled in his last couple of games.

Was Johnson worse than Ward, Higgins, Hahn, Eagleton, Minson and Grant? You can't drop all of them.

And I'm betting all of the money in my pockets - against all of the money in your pockets that the players want to play with Brad Johnson this weekend.

I agree with everything you have said and good on you for doing so.

There is another issue in play here if Johnson is to be dropped and that is the impact it might have on the rest of the playing group. This is not the time to be handing out warnings "play poorly and you're out?

This is the time to get the team back on track after a woeful 5 weeks. This is the time for the team to go out there as one, supporting one another and supporting their captain. Yes, they should be doing that because it is a Final but, to drop probably the most popular bloke in the place (and the captain) is not the stuff which galvanises the group to perform.

The team doesn't need another kick in the guts right now.

angelopetraglia
06-09-2010, 05:16 PM
Great tribute from Darcy: http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=102068

Remi Moses
06-09-2010, 05:22 PM

It's all well and good wanting to play with Johnno,but his input is just been so minimal.Not wanting to debut a player in a final is so conservative it's not funny.
History is littered with players debuting in finals and having an impact! Some bloke called Brereton springs to mind. If johnno plays poorly and we get bundled out Rocket deserves a right royal bucketing from everyone!!!!:(

immortalmike
06-09-2010, 05:40 PM
It's all well and good wanting to play with Johnno,but his input is just been so minimal.Not wanting to debut a player in a final is so conservative it's not funny.
History is littered with players debuting in finals and having an impact! Some bloke called Brereton springs to mind. If johnno plays poorly and we get bundled out Rocket deserves a right royal bucketing from everyone!!!!:(

So I would say you are also of the opinion that Higgins, Hahn, Eagleton, Ward, Minson, Gilbee, Grant and Gia shouldn't play also. All of those players have been just as bad if not worse than Johnno on Saturday night and aren't (with the obvious exception of Grant) showing much signs of getting better.

ReLoad
06-09-2010, 05:41 PM

I dont mean to be nasty, but if johnno gets dropped this week, no matter how poor his form is, ill spew up, and ill never, ever buy a membership ever again.

I have never said that before in my entire life, and i pray to god i never do again. If it wasnt for guys like Brad our club would be nothing, we owe it to brad, we owe it to ourselves to shut the hell upand let our captain, our soul, our fearless and tireless leader do what he has done for the last 20 years, be a footscray star.

Go Brad, kick that winning goal, your always a star to us, we will never forget everything you have done for this club, and if i had a dollar for everytime i said "thank god we have johnno" id be richer than Smorgo.

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 05:43 PM

I can see plenty of people with egg on their face when the champ is in our best Saturday night

Nuggety Back Pocket
06-09-2010, 05:53 PM
So I would say you are also of the opinion that Higgins, Hahn, Eagleton, Ward, Minson, Gilbee, Grant and Gia shouldn't play also. All of those players have been just as bad if not worse than Johnno on Saturday night and aren't (with the obvious exception of Grant) showing much signs of getting better.

You could have also added a few other names who were just as bad. Johnno deserves to go out with some dignity. What has shown up is our complete lack of depth in our inability to replace two stars in Cooney and Morris and to continue to play Higgins, Ward and Johnson who lack games and fitness in 2010. Players like Hahn and Minson do not deserve to be in the team as their form doesn't warrant it.

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Brad,thanks for the memories. You were always there for the kids with type 1 diabetes and they looked up to you as a role model. Enjoy your retirement. It has been a long and most enduring journey in AFL football for you and your family. I have cherished watching you not only as a young kid but as our inspirational leader. Thank you Brad Johnson. A champion!!!
________
Pov porn (http://www.****tube.com/categories/33/pov/videos/1)

EasternWest
06-09-2010, 06:55 PM
I dont mean to be nasty, but if johnno gets dropped this week, no matter how poor his form is, ill spew up, and ill never, ever buy a membership ever again.

Oh, ReLoad. I thought so much more of you.

AndrewP6
06-09-2010, 07:41 PM
It has very distressing to watch such a great clubman go through a season like Johnno has. Love the guy (see hair in round one), But I do think that this year was not meant to be for Brad. From the opening round, where he barely made any effective contribution to the loss to Collingwood, to getting hit by the trainer's cart and then the ongoing constant need for a spell for several rounds here and there, in my opinion, has been detrimental. I know I will be scorned by some for saying so but, it has been the wrong call to play in 2010 for one Brad Johnson.

Agreed...:(

Jasper
06-09-2010, 08:40 PM
Good luck to Brad Johnson, congratulations on a wonderful career. Eade is backing him and that is fantastic.

If he can help us win a final great, if he breaks down, well he has broken his body for the club, played through injury all of his career, I won't hold it against him. In my book Brad Johnson is one of best examples of everything a champion sportsman should be.

And frankly, the people sticking the boots into Brad Johnson can get stuffed. In particular the excrebable Collingwood supporters on Saturday, and some media commentators who aren't qualified to wipe his shoes.

Bring on a Brett Kirk Brad Johnson matchup!

w3design
06-09-2010, 08:47 PM

I have never said that before in my entire life, and i pray to god i never do again. If it wasnt for guys like Brad our club would be nothing, we owe it to brad, we owe it to ourselves to shut the hell upand let our captain, our soul, our fearless and tireless leader do what he has done for the last 20 years, be a footscray star.

Go Brad, kick that winning goal, your always a star to us, we will never forget everything you have done for this club, and if i had a dollar for everytime i said "thank god we have johnno" id be richer than Smorgo.

Thank you Reload for saying so well what I think and feel.

And thank you Brad for always, always making us proud with your sunny personality and magnificent skills, under-rated by so many.

I am a bit shocked at some of these posts. There's a place for discussion about whether Brad is fit enough and in our best 22 next week, but somehow in a thread about his retirement, I'd just like a bit more respect for a champion and a gentleman.

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 09:05 PM
I once heard a comment that Johnno had said that all he wanted was to play in a grand final, just one.
Well for such a champion and well respected footballer of the old guard of Footscray i hope his wish would come true, just once.

Good luck Brad Johnson and i'll cherish the memories and my guernsey with your number on it for years to come.

Go Dogs...................

Jasper
06-09-2010, 09:09 PM
Thank you Reload for saying so well what I think and feel.

And thank you Brad for always, always making us proud with your sunny personality and magnificent skills, under-rated by so many.

I am a bit shocked at some of these posts. There's a place for discussion about whether Brad is fit enough and in our best 22 next week, but somehow in a thread about his retirement, I'd just like a bit more respect for a champion and a gentleman.

Very well said

FriendlyFires
06-09-2010, 09:19 PM
To not play Johnno in the potentially (and sadly, most likely) last game of the season, and of Johnno's CAREER would be not right.

It's not right to drop our Captain, heart and champion of the club for this game, when players such as Minson, Hahn, Eagleton, Gia, Gilbee, Grant,etc.... dished up absolute rot on the weekend. To play any of those before Johnno is rubbish. Would I be saying the same thing if it wasn't potentially Johnno's last game? Probley not, but the facts are, it is, and we need to respect the player who has given the club so much over the last 16 years.

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 09:38 PM

Plenty of time in off/pre season to make that call. Does anyone think game number 350 had anything to do with it? I hope it was not the main reason.

azabob
06-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Plenty of time in off/pre season to make that call. Does anyone think game number 350 had anything to do with it? I hope it was not the main reason.

No. Finished fourth in the B&F and one kick from a GF, every right to go on.

DOG GOD
06-09-2010, 09:43 PM
I said yesterday in another thread that the best thing that could happen to the dogs this week would be for Johnson to announce his retirement at years end. Hopefully now the players will have something more to play for on their way to a prelim berth.

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 10:04 PM

Just as some choose to imply mistruths without having the gumption to directly name these said 'supporters'. :rolleyes:

I made three points of refernce to support my opinion. Any more than that and you must put another coin in the slot. :rolleyes:

Being the last fella from Footscray F.C, Johnno is always going to be an absolute legend to me. I will be there cheering and clapping every moment of the game on Saturday night louder than ever because I too want Johnno to play, to play a game like no other in the last 362 up to now, and to back up for next two weeks and outdo himself each time. Serious :D

And as for the comparitive crack about collingwood, not very nice. :eek::mad:

AndrewP6
06-09-2010, 10:09 PM
I said yesterday in another thread that the best thing that could happen to the dogs this week would be for Johnson to announce his retirement at years end. Hopefully now the players will have something more to play for on their way to a prelim berth.

The fact that they might need more to play for is damning...a PF on it's on should be enough.

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 10:10 PM

Yep, every club in the league would've done the same.

Before I Die
06-09-2010, 10:16 PM

The fact that they might need more to play for is damning...a PF on it's on should be enough.

Perhaps the realisation that they could play for 16 years and never make a Grand Final if they don't take their chances when they come up, may be the spur they need.

chef
07-09-2010, 08:06 AM

Yep and he had missed only 4 games with injury over the previous 16 seasons.

Desipura
07-09-2010, 08:45 AM
And if you do not renew, please do not come back as we dont need this type of supporter.

LostDoggy
07-09-2010, 10:49 AM
After his great season in 2009 no one could have predicted the injury problems he would face in 2010. To say that he shouldn't have gone on to play in 2010 is ridiculous. I really hope we can win on Saturday night, then it's into a preliminary final and who knows?? :)

Ghost Dog
07-09-2010, 02:34 PM
By far, he was not the worst player V collingwood. IMO. If he is fit, he should play. If he is not, he shouldn't. The team is bigger than the man.

ReLoad
07-09-2010, 02:51 PM
And if you do not renew, please do not come back as we dont need this type of supporter.

I guess thats what makes us all different doesnt it, I mean after all I have the right to tell you to **** off too, yes?

Desipura
07-09-2010, 02:53 PM
I guess thats what makes us all different doesnt it, I mean after all I have the right to tell you to **** off too, yes?
Mods, do I need to put up with this?

ReLoad
07-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Mods, do I need to put up with this?

you started it champ, more than happy to finish it.

Footy is emotive, the last footscray player ever, finishing up is emotive too.

I think as a paid up member through good and bad i can express my opinion about wanting to back a player who in my eyes represents everything i love about my club.

that includes my extreme displeasure should the club (which they will not) drop him.

If you want to tell me to never follow or financially support them again, then you need to man up and expect me to restate my opinion.

Ghost Dog
07-09-2010, 03:39 PM
I agree with everything you have said and good on you for doing so.

There is another issue in play here if Johnson is to be dropped and that is the impact it might have on the rest of the playing group. This is not the time to be handing out warnings "play poorly and you're out?

This is the time to get the team back on track after a woeful 5 weeks. This is the time for the team to go out there as one, supporting one another and supporting their captain. Yes, they should be doing that because it is a Final but, to drop probably the most popular bloke in the place (and the captain) is not the stuff which galvanises the group to perform.

The team doesn't need another kick in the guts right now.

It's probably not about popularity at this point. Surely, it's about getting the job done. Right?

LostDoggy
07-09-2010, 04:07 PM
With Johnno being my favourite player, I'm finding it hard keeping emotion out of my opinion. If he was keeping a better player out of the team, I'd lean toward 'don't play him', but as stated numerous times already in this thread, who could come in and do better? And was he the worst on Saturday night? I think that having him out there on the field will be a big boost emotionally for the team, and I want to see him out there!! I think if you asked the team, they'd want him playing too. :)

mighty_west
07-09-2010, 04:22 PM
With Johnno being my favourite player, I'm finding it hard keeping emotion out of my opinion. If he was keeping a better player out of the team, I'd lean toward 'don't play him', but as stated numerous times already in this thread, who could come in and do better? And was he the worst on Saturday night? I think that having him out there on the field will be a big boost emotionally for the team, and I want to see him out there!! I think if you asked the team, they'd want him playing too. :)

Love Johnno to bits, we all do, but was really sad seeing him struggle out there, him & Hahn were pretty bad, with Johnno, you can see the mind is willing, but unfortunatly the body is shot.

We just have to play players that are fit, simple as that, history shows that teams going in with injuries like this, get found out very quickly, plus the memory of the Champion Johnno is, deserves better than what we are seeing, he deserves it more than anyone.

Geez i'd hope to be proven wrong and he comes out and plays a blinder.

LostDoggy
07-09-2010, 04:23 PM

No doubt if Johnno could hold his own out there it would be a massive boost. The risk in playing an underdone player, of course, is that he will be severely exploited. If Johnno playing well is a boost, by the same token, your captain and champ getting slaughtered would kill any spirit left in the team, not to mention crush every supporter in the stands.

We all felt sick when Johnno was bronx cheered -- if Roos targets him at every opportunity, there may be worse in store. History is littered with great players who just didn't know when to say when and got themselves knocked out or badly humiliated. Brad doesn't need our protection, sure, but at some point you have to tell the champ that the next fight may just be one too many.

Now that it's confirmed that he's playing, though, of course I hope there are a few big hits left in the old warhorse and he'll come out and drag us over the line with him. And if anyone can do it, if would be Johnno, the last of the Footscray warriors. Come on Brad.

Ghost Dog
07-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Don't you fancy the chances of Everitt or Moles getting more touches? More penetrating kicks, better run.

Regarding the other players, cutting players can, at times, have a motivating effect.
Helped St Kilda sort out a few of theirs who often used to go missing. That was, however, at a different part of the season. Suz, I understand the emotion. I would leave it up to Brad. Let him wear the consequences of putting his hand up to play. If he is fit.
Bit isn't it like any workplace? If you are ready, you work. If you are injured / unable to perform your role, you don't work. Simple as that.

Desipura
07-09-2010, 05:02 PM
you started it champ, more than happy to finish it.

Footy is emotive, the last footscray player ever, finishing up is emotive too.

I think as a paid up member through good and bad i can express my opinion about wanting to back a player who in my eyes represents everything i love about my club.

that includes my extreme displeasure should the club (which they will not) drop him.

If you want to tell me to never follow or financially support them again, then you need to man up and expect me to restate my opinion.

Dont call me champ, Im not your peasant. If you are going to hold the club to ransom, you can go and get ****ed.
Apparently it is ok to swear on here so if you cant beat them join them!

mighty_west
07-09-2010, 05:22 PM
Dont call me champ, Im not your peasant. If you are going to hold the club to ransom, you can go and get ****ed.
Apparently it is ok to swear on here so if you cant beat them join them!

One of my pet hates is supporters holding teams to ransom if this happens or that happens etc [very Richmond like], real supporters support the 22 that run out on the park week in week out regardless who will go to battle for us.

As much as i have admired & loved Johnno over such a long period of time, pains me seeing the great man struggle, he really shouldn't be playing given his injury, but if the club back him in, i'll be there as always in full support...it's just the way it is.

SonofScray
07-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Its probably not something many of you guys could be bothered with, but just wondering if anyone was going to make a message banner congratulating Johnno etc? I noticed quite a lot of Sydney fans had for Kirk which was great and can't really think of too many times recently where our fans (outside the cheersquad) have actually done something like that.

I'm hoping to find some time to make one before the game.

chef
07-09-2010, 06:18 PM
I found this interesting.

'Johnson yesterday announced he would retire at the end the season.

Nixon says this year was always going to be the veteran's last.

"He actually retired five years ago, and that's the truth," Nixon said.

"He came in to see me at about round 5 or 6 when Peter Rhode was coach (Rhode coached the Dogs in 2003-04), and said he was going to retire, and I talked him out of it, and I've talked him out of it about ten times since.

"This year I've been fairly adamant from early in the year that it was his last year."'

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/golf-cart-set-brad-johnson-back-ricky-nixon/story-e6frf9jf-1225915265406

Greystache
07-09-2010, 06:22 PM

"He came in to see me at about round 5 or 6 when Peter Rhode was coach (Rhode coached the Dogs in 2003-04), and said he was going to retire, and I talked him out of it, and I've talked him out of it about ten times since.

"This year I've been fairly adamant from early in the year that it was his last year."'

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/golf-cart-set-brad-johnson-back-ricky-nixon/story-e6frf9jf-1225915265406

A lot of Bulldog people wanted to give up football when Rhode was coach. :D

bornadog
07-09-2010, 06:30 PM
A lot of Bulldog people wanted to give up football when Rhode was coach. :D

Almost the worst decision ever by the club (worst was Royce Hart)

EasternWest
07-09-2010, 06:57 PM

Any story that involves Nixon I disregard out of hand. He always finds some way to insert himself as a key player, except when his car is found under a tram.

Johnson was going to retire at 29? Give me a break.

LostDoggy
07-09-2010, 07:01 PM
Would love to see Johno kick a vintage bag, just to stick it up the footy community.

LostDoggy
07-09-2010, 09:51 PM
There might be a number of posters on this forum eating humble pie Saturday night.

Go Dogs..................

1eyedog
07-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Gee Whizz hasn't this site changed it's colours since I've been out of internet range! Turning out some BF discourse lately. C'mon guys, I know this is a tense stage for the club but some of the dialogue between members on this site is disgraceful. We're all on the same team remember, lets try to be a bit more constructive and remember it doesn't matter how long you've been on the site or how many posts you have, there is always a human being tapping the keys.

Sedat
07-09-2010, 10:25 PM
I'm expecting/hoping that Johnno will be much better for the run on Saturday. Even a 20% improvement physically will greatly assist Johnno's ability to run the game out and contribute offensively to the team cause. We do need some additional offensive strings to our bow this week that were not there against the filth.

ReLoad
07-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Firstly apologies to all and sundry (and to you Desipura) for the Collingwood esque language, its what happens when you sit too close to them, it infects you.

I would also like to report an error with the filter between my brain and keyboard.

Ok, now onto the business for the day:

I do NOT hold the club hostage or to ransom with my membership, that’s not in any way shape or form my goal nor actions.

What im trying to highlight is this:

Brad Johnson, to me (this is just my opinion), in all my years as a bulldogs member there has never been another person who has epitomised why I love our football club, he stands for everything that’s great about the battlers from the west.

He’s been with us through thick and thin, the good, the bad and the sometimes ugly, he has never once given in, he is determined, dedicated and above all loves his club and would do anything for it.

He’s the guy who, like our comrade who wore number 3 was offered squillions of dollars to play elsewhere, who despite his pay check bouncing never even hinted that he was going to leave, is a guy who from a very young aged gave respect to those who had tread before him, to keep giving that respect even to this day, look how he is with the great Charlie Sutton.

How dare we, as supporters who just like the players crave for the ultimate prize, the premiership demand that he does not play, the guy is Footscray, he is the Western Bulldogs, to not have him running out there to at least say goodbye and to for one last time, to show the footy world just how bloody good he is, it would destroy my soul, hence why I said I don’t think I could possibly continue to support my club.

I totally dig football is a business and hard decisions have to be made, but footy is also a passion, and if we loose this passion and forget the passion we may as well give it all up, because that’s not why I follow my team, I follow my team because we are passionate, we are the underdogs, we are the team that despite all odds is here today.

So to finish, I was that fat, balding middle aged guy at the back of the press conference sobbing like a baby when he announced his retirement, the last of the Footscray breed, the last guy who wore that jumper that I was the only one to wear at my school, the only one at footy camp to wear, the only one who even know the hell who Robert Gronerweagon was let alone why I thought he was much underrated.

Johnno, you’re a star mate, kick that winning goal, just like you always do.

LostDoggy
07-09-2010, 11:25 PM
Firstly apologies to all and sundry (and to you Desipura) for the Collingwood esque language, its what happens when you sit too close to them, it infects you.

I would also like to report an error with the filter between my brain and keyboard.

I do NOT hold the club hostage or to ransom with my membership, that’s not in any way shape or form my goal nor actions.

Brad Johnson, to me (this is just my opinion), in all my years as a bulldogs member there has never been another person who has epitomised why I love our football club, he stands for everything that’s great about the battlers from the west.

He’s been with us through thick and thin, the good, the bad and the sometimes ugly, he has never once given in, he is determined, dedicated and above all loves his club and would do anything for it.

He’s the guy who, like our comrade who wore number 3 was offered squillions of dollars to play elsewhere, who despite his pay check bouncing never even hinted that he was going to leave, is a guy who from a very young aged gave respect to those who had tread before him, to keep giving that respect even to this day, look how he is with the great Charlie Sutton.

How dare we, as supporters who just like the players crave for the ultimate prize, the premiership demand that he does not play, the guy is Footscray, he is the Western Bulldogs, to not have him running out there to at least say goodbye and to for one last time, to show the footy world just how bloody good he is, it would destroy my soul, hence why I said I don’t think I could possibly continue to support my club.

I totally dig football is a business and hard decisions have to be made, but footy is also a passion, and if we loose this passion and forget the passion we may as well give it all up, because that’s not why I follow my team, I follow my team because we are passionate, we are the underdogs, we are the team that despite all odds is here today.

So to finish, I was that fat, balding middle aged guy at the back of the press conference sobbing like a baby when he announced his retirement, the last of the Footscray breed, the last guy who wore that jumper that I was the only one to wear at my school, the only one at footy camp to wear, the only one who even know the hell who Robert Gronerweagon was let alone why I thought he was much underrated.

Love players and supporters who have the same passion as myself.The wins are so much better ... Our Day Will Come

1eyedog
07-09-2010, 11:40 PM

That's such a cool post. Thank you for it.

Lurgan
08-09-2010, 12:14 AM

All class. All true. That's all there is to say about the matter.

Johnno will be kicking goals all night in my (probably misty) eyes, and he'll be kicking them when I get home. He'll still be kicking them the next day, next week and forever. He always has and he always will. Time isn't linear; these memories are in us and we can pass them on, just like the stories of Charlie Sutton have been passed on to those of us who didn't see him play. Johnno is an absolutely rolled gold Footscray person and always will be.

It won't be the same without him, but he joins the pantheon: Whitten, Grant and company. And we move on. To a premiership for our great club.

Daughter of the West
08-09-2010, 09:18 AM
All class. All true. That's all there is to say about the matter.

Johnno will be kicking goals all night in my (probably misty) eyes, and he'll be kicking them when I get home. He'll still be kicking them the next day, next week and forever. He always has and he always will. Time isn't linear; these memories are in us and we can pass them on, just like the stories of Charlie Sutton have been passed on to those of us who didn't see him play. Johnno is an absolutely rolled gold Footscray person and always will be.

It won't be the same without him, but he joins the pantheon: Whitten, Grant and company. And we move on. To a premiership for our great club.

I'm starting to get misty eyed reading all this, and it's not even Saturday yet!

Desipura
08-09-2010, 09:51 AM

With so much passion that you have, we cant afford to lose supporters/members like you

LostDoggy
08-09-2010, 02:15 PM

Thanks "Reload" you wrote the words for me, from the heart.

mighty_west
08-09-2010, 02:52 PM

Great post.

EasternWest
08-09-2010, 06:01 PM

Good post ReLoad. Everything you said highlights why remaining a member is so important. Glad you're back in the game.

Go Johnno. I'd love for you to have a blinder Saturday night, but if you don't, I'll forgive you. You have been so good for so long, and our club will be poorer for not having you around everyday.