PDA

View Full Version : Your Favourite Johnno Memory?

The Coon Dog
06-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Now that Johnno has decided to retire, what are some of your favourite memories of Johnno?

Some of mine are:

a) In round 1, 2008, from memory it was Johnno's 300th & he kicked 3 goals in time on to defeat Adelaide by 3 points.

b) When we beat Essendon in round 21, 2000 & after the siren went Johnno sought out Essendon ruckman John Barnes & gave his a fearful serve.

c) In 2007 he destroyed Matthew Scarlett when he kicked 8 goals in a round 1 win over the Cats.

d) Just his ability to clunk a one grab mark overhead whilst on a lead. Strong hands.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-09-2010, 06:13 PM
In addition to those mentioned in the OP, the other memory i will have of Johnno is at the GABBA, running onto a bouncing ball deep in the forward pocket and kicking the ball out of mid air straight through the middle.

angelopetraglia
06-09-2010, 06:15 PM
e) Round 9, 2002. Geelong 105 V Bulldogs 117. Kardina Park. B. Johnson 25 Disposals and 6 goals.

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 06:18 PM
Now that Johnno has decided to retire, what are some of your favourite memories of Johnno?

Some of mine are:

a) In round 1, 2008, from memory it was Johnno's 300th & he kicked 3 goals in time on to defeat Adelaide by 3 points.

b) When we beat Essendon in round 21, 2000 & after the siren went Johnno sought out Essendon ruckman John Barnes & gave his a fearful serve.

c) In 2007 he destroyed Matthew Scarlett when he kicked 8 goals in a round 1 win over the Cats.

d) Just his ability to clunk a one grab mark overhead whilst on a lead. Strong hands.

Was a great game, thought we were going to have a ripper year :o

Never forget the goal against Brisbane in 2005.

bornadog
06-09-2010, 06:18 PM
many many memories especially that big grin with red red cheeks.

Ones that come to mind instantly are:

Tight game in Canberra, minutes to go and Brad in the goal square trying everything to put boot to ball and finally doing it and winning the game.

Huge mark over the top of a Geelong player at Geelong - sorry can't remember the exact detail but it was a week or so, after the mark taken over him by that little prick at Essendon.

Just his early days running and bouncing the ball along the wing.

Ozza
06-09-2010, 06:19 PM
A couple to add on to TCD's (which were all the 1st to come to mind!);

- Against Richmond in 2005, we were behind at half time and very close game at 3 quarter time and Johno just won us the game with 4 goals and some amazing contested marks. I was with Richmond supporters who had been telling me all day how much they couldn't stand Johnno - and then he just killed them and won the game.

- Plenty of times where he has somehow marked in a sea of players just on pure strength and I've been brought to my feet with a cry of 'Vintage Johnno"!

- His last quarter contested mark and goal in last years Prelim when I thought maybe, just maybe - he had gotten us to a Grand Final!

- Plus the early days of Johnno - on the wing in front of the EJ Whitten stand, when he had no idea how to protect himself and used to get cleaned up all the time backing back and marking. Such a fearless kid he was.

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Like Coon Dog I loved his 300th game in 2008, he inspired a great comeback. :)

My funniest memory is when we played North Melbourne in Canberra a few years ago and he took about three attempts to soccer the ball through for the winning goal in the dying moments. :D

Edit: You beat me to it bornadog!!

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 06:22 PM
That last goal in his 300th where he kicked it and fell over like a tree laughing. I will never forget that.

Otherwise, marking the ball a million times when he had no chance.

The years where he seemed the only player in our forward fifty, carrying the team week after week.

Throughandthrough
06-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Two spring to mind without thinking

The last 5 minutes of his 300th game. The sheer emotion when he punched the air with both hands and fell on his back after scoring the scrambled goal.

And about 5 - 6 years ago, I had the extreme pleasure of being able to take my then very impressionable son (aged about 6 or 7) in the rooms after a game at AAMI stadium.

We were introduced to Johnno, i asked my lad who his fave player was (thank heck he said Brad Johnson) and Johnno's face lit up like it does, and spoke very openly and happily to my little fella (and me) for what seemed like ages. It wasn't for the media, it was just for my son. As a Dad there aren't many moments like this in life.

Yes, my son still loves the Dogs (and Johnno) to bits.

chef
06-09-2010, 06:32 PM
The final in 94 when Melbourne smashed us and young number 33 running up and down the wing looking like he belonged. You could tell in his first year he was going to be gun. We'll miss you Johnno:(.

GVGjr
06-09-2010, 06:36 PM
Draft day - The first televised draft when Wheeler shot him a wink once he was selected and the grin and the rosey red cheeks that looked back knowing that he was one of just a few players going to the club they supported.

His first game against which was against the Pies and we wrecked Tony Shaw's 300th game with a solid win. Johnson was pitted against Mark Fraser from memory and just ran up and down the wing getting a lot of the ball.

The game against Adelaide where he carried us to an unlikely win.

Some of those soccer goals, strong marks and milestone games.

Heaps more as well.

jazzadogs
06-09-2010, 06:48 PM
I was looking forward to coming on Woof and seeing a thread like this, after all the negativity.

I think it's pretty much been summed up already. I agree that the shot of him falling backwards after kicking the goal against Adelaide, trademark smile spread across his face, will be the image I remember of him.

This video, whilst a pretty poor quality and with music that doesn't exactly sing to my personal tastes, is pretty good. The goal just after 3minutes is one I'd forgotten.

D1opzAfhHOk

There is a better video of his 300th game on it's own.

AndrewP6
06-09-2010, 06:52 PM
That last goal in his 300th where he kicked it and fell over like a tree laughing. I will never forget that.

Same here...that was just magic, and typified Johnno IMO.

cinder
06-09-2010, 06:55 PM

x2

I bought that game thru Name a Game :)

Drunken Bum
06-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Pretty sure it was against Nth at the G, Johnno was being tagged when he was playing on the wing and at every center bounce he would run laps around the square and the Nth bloke couldnt keep up. Was very funny to watch and it worked.

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 07:06 PM
Loved his 300th performance. True Champion.

I'll be picking up that game through Name A Game when I get a chance. Showcased just how good he was.

The Pie Man
06-09-2010, 07:24 PM
The last 5 minutes of his 300th were amazing (thank-you Bock for doing the right thing down the other hand)

I still remember a running goal he kicked in the 1997 QF aginst the Swans - can't remember what part of the game it was in, but it was GSS flank - twas magic when we were riding high.

Round 1, 2007 was something else - at his peak, he was the best small/mid forward going around, and easy the best contested overhead mark for his size.

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Great thread TCD.

All of 2006. He had an amazing year. Watch the highlights.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-09-2010, 08:49 PM
One other memory of Johnno that will always stick with my wife and I was 3 or 4 years ago at the GABBA.
At the completion of the game (which the Dogs won), my wife and I were on the bus to go home and our bus happened to go past the GABBA as the Dogs players were all getting on the team bus.
My wife and I started waving and smiling like lunatics at the players and Johnno flashed us his winning smile and gave us a big wave.
I know it's trivial but it made our night, he could've just given us a little wave or just pretended he didn't even see us, but he was his genial best and my wife and I were over the moon.

Maybe we just are easily pleased, but it was good to connect on such a small level with our favourite player.

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 08:56 PM
Like others, I think his 300th game where he virtually won the game off his own boot. Thanks for the wonderful memories Johnno, and I loved hearing the commentators say.........."Smith is streaming down the ground from the backline, and yes, a beautiful pass to Johnson - what a great pair of hands he has got!"

w3design
06-09-2010, 08:58 PM
He lined up on Glenn Archer at centre half forward, can't remember when, and absolutely destroyed him, Archer becoming so frustrated he was punching him.

I also remember the spray he gave Barnes in the 2000 match (we all know which one). For some reason Jono's smile never seemed so broad when he played the bombers. Like any true bulldog he seemed to hate essendon.

He WAS our forward line for most of this decade. For people who think he was selfish, he could have gone on being a champion wingman. He became a battering ram forward. How much weight and height less than Barry Hall is he, yet he was our only target for so many years.

And like many others I have seen his infectious personality and great manner with kids, big and small. Not for Jono the bored look as he signed another autograph or the 'I'm a star' pretensions. He always looked like he was still pinching himself to be living the dream of being drafted to play for a team he loved.

He is irreplaceable in so many ways, thank you Jono.

The Pie Man
06-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Never forget the goal against Brisbane in 2005.

Neither will I - for a brief moment I thought I was in huge trouble when that goal went in (cue trivial personal story)

Was in the Espy pub in Inverloch watching that game, and in the middle of a pretty solid session, I've seen that goal go through and threw my arms back...collecting a passing local in the process.

He didn't look too impressed, so I apologised and told him what I was celebrating ('check out the replay mate') He was suitably impressed, and called it 'Daicos like' (sure enough he was rabbid Pies fan)

We got talking over the game and he was an alright bloke, and then later that night when I was taking a leak and had the door blocked by some yokel youngens, I found the same bloke I'd befriended telling these youngens to pull their head in (we hightailed back to the holiday house once the siren went)

1eyedog
06-09-2010, 09:07 PM
His ability to transfrom himself from a running flanker to a genuine key forward and win the AA captaincy while doing it. For a bloke under six foot he was, pound for pound, the best contested mark I have seen. His ability to turn himself into this type of player was a huge sacrifice for his club, something he did throughout his whole career.

Thanks for the memories Johnno, we love you.

Bumper Bulldogs
06-09-2010, 09:25 PM
For me it was seeing this bloke stand at FF for years getting smashed and till this day i have no idea how his body stood up to it, Plenty of solo efforts but I think it was last years final when he took it upon himself went to the 1/2 back line to a ruck contest, got on the end of it ran all the way to the 50 banging it home for a goal which got us over the line. Burt everybody else off in the mean time.

He was really a Midfielder that plays forward, a true champ and a icon of the game.

Please get into the media as you and Smithy would be the best double act going around.

All the very best after footy and you will always be a true bulldog.

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 10:48 PM
Like I do every year, I travel to The Brissie game to see my kids, and of cause take them to the game.
In 2007 I arrived at Tulla to find that I'm on the same plane as the team.
I approached the squad and in particular Johnno, and he made me feel as though He had known me all his life.
What a wonderful man and ambassador for our club.

Need I say i joined the "Mile High club" Solo on that trip ;-)

AndrewP6
06-09-2010, 10:56 PM
Like I do every year, I travel to The Brissie game to see my kids, and of cause take them to the game.
I approached the squad and in particular Johnno, and he made me feel as though He had known me all his life.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much information! :)

angelopetraglia
06-09-2010, 10:58 PM
Just an absolute gun.

A midfielder come forward. Always knew where the goals were, even early in his career.

He played 75 games where he had both more than 20 touches and kicked at least two goals.

He had massive years as;

- An out and out midfielder
- An out and out forward
- Combining both midfield and forward with aplomb

His ability to contribute and create in the midfield then push forward and hurt you on the scoreboard is a very rare commodity.

Just a legend of the game. Not too many midfield running types who are capable of getting 30+ touches and also consistently kick 50+ goals in a season.

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 10:58 PM

Gold :D

Absolute star and my favorite memory hasnt been played out yet!

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 11:01 PM
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much information! :)

Sorry Andrew. I meant to PM that to myself ;)

angelopetraglia
06-09-2010, 11:06 PM
A little highlight package from afl.com.au http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/contentid/295325/brad+johnson+career+highlights/default.aspx

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 11:11 PM
Gold :D

Absolute star and my favorite memory hasnt been played out yet!

Rooner, I may have to watch some highlights and pretend I'm in a Plane again :D

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 11:22 PM
Rooner, I may have to watch some highlights and pretend I'm in a Plane again :D

Been watchin some of his highlights and its so easy to forget how good some players have been

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 11:25 PM
Been watchin some of his highlights and its so easy to forget how good some players have been

People outside of the club, don't understand how good he has been.

I have noticed it with a lot of our great players, because of the club we are, people don't rate them as highly.

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 11:32 PM
People outside of the club, don't understand how good he has been.

I have noticed it with a lot of our great players, because of the club we are, people don't rate them as highly.

Yep and it will always be that way JH but I like it that way stuff what everyone else thinks

LostDoggy
07-09-2010, 12:44 AM
Going to Uni at VUT in Footscray and my Collingwood loving mate who went to same high school as Jonno yells out G'day. Jonno shot a smile back and waved. Collingwood loving mate isn't someone I hand out with these days and I'm sure that's why Jonno didn't run over and say hi, but he didn't ignore him at the same time either. Nathan Buckley also was at VUT as well but Collingwood loving mate never yelled out at him. I bet he never would have got a smile or wave from him.

Scraggers
07-09-2010, 01:59 AM
Off-field ... when I met him outside the Bulldog Shop at the Whitten Oval, he was wearing a towel and a red Bulldog shirt; it was obvious that he had just come from the recovery spa or pool and was on his way to the changerooms to get dressed ... I stopped him and asked if I could get a photo with him and my daughter ... of course he agreed. It was a freezing cold day and my wife was fumbling with the camera trying to get a photo, his teeth were chattering, but he didn't complain or try to brush us off, in fact quite the opposite ... he was so personable, chatting with me and my two year old.

I love that photo ... sits framed in my office ... one of my prized possessions.

On-field ... the whole 2006 season, he took over as captain of the Bulldogs with Darcy's injury, and played a stellar season ... cullminating in him finishing 2nd in the Coleman medal and being named Captain of the All-Australian team ... I always knew he was a champion ... now the whole AFL knew as well.

The last Footscray player ... a what a legacy he has left us ... Cheers Johnno

boydogs
07-09-2010, 02:39 AM
One game, Cross had the ball on 50 on Johnno & Rohan Smith managed to get 2 on 1 in the goalsquare. They looked at each other and Smith went on a hard lead, dragging out the defender. Cross saw what they were doing and promptly kicked it to the square for an easy Johnno goal. After that, the feeling between Smith & Johnno was palpable, bum slaps for about 10 seconds.

Johnno just loved giving his all for his team and playing for his team mates, and it was a joy to watch

Desipura
07-09-2010, 08:50 AM
When he gave John Barnes the "bird' after we beat the Bombers in 2000 for thie only loss that season. :D

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
07-09-2010, 08:50 AM
A red cheeked kid wearing number 33 running down the members wing at Footscray - he had fantastic pace and was great overhead. His 250th v Brisbane in 2005 is my favorite memory - a rollercoaster of a game - the love for Johnno was in the air that night.

boydogs
11-09-2010, 08:18 PM
One game, Cross had the ball on 50 on Johnno & Rohan Smith managed to get 2 on 1 in the goalsquare. They looked at each other and Smith went on a hard lead, dragging out the defender. Cross saw what they were doing and promptly kicked it to the square for an easy Johnno goal. After that, the feeling between Smith & Johnno was palpable, bum slaps for about 10 seconds.

Johnno just loved giving his all for his team and playing for his team mates, and it was a joy to watch

They just showed the end of this while Rohan Smith was talking about Johnno on the tribute Ch10 put together. Was good IMO, hopefully the game to follow tonight is a worthy tribute

LostDoggy
11-09-2010, 11:26 PM
Apart from the obvious special moments from his catalogue ofgames highlights, the best is a personal exchange with Johnno at last year's Australian Masters golf. Although trying to be ingonito with a snazzy set of sunnies, his smilegave him away. A call of "Johnno" was responded with a goodaye and a few minutes of chat with my daughter and myself. She was awestruck, and if there was any question that she wondered why she wore number 6 on herback was gone. He was her hero then and will be her first footy hero of the dogs.

Grantysghost
12-09-2010, 10:27 AM
Last night when he took celebrating and marking and amalgamated them into at some kind of hybrid markalation. Boy that bloke is talented!

Bulldog Revolution
12-09-2010, 09:32 PM

From my memory it was Tom Harley he put to the sword that day, in one of the most brilliant individual performances he's ever produced

In his prime just a sensational pair of hands

EasternWest
12-09-2010, 10:40 PM
From my memory it was Tom Harley he put to the sword that day, in one of the most brilliant individual performances he's ever produced

Correct. Harley popped a knuckle early in the game but refused to go off. Johnson tore him a new one.

Ozza
13-09-2010, 11:22 AM

He actually played on both Scarlett and Harley - once he'd kicked 4 goals, one replaced the other.

LostDoggy
13-09-2010, 12:16 PM
Last night when he took celebrating and marking and amalgamated them into at some kind of hybrid markalation. Boy that bloke is talented!

My new favourite memory too - hopefully just until the end of this Saturdays game when he gives us a new one again, then maybe at the end of Saturday weeks game..... :D

mitch kenny
14-09-2010, 06:08 PM
All of my favourite Johnno moments have been punctuated by Suz32 screaming go johnno in my right ear :)

AndrewP6
14-09-2010, 11:44 PM

Quite possibly my new favourite word...

OLD SCRAGGer
15-09-2010, 07:50 AM
The day he was drafted to club, when asked how he felt being drafted to Doggies, with that adorable smile, he said "BETTER THAN WINNING TATTSLOTTO" I just LOVE that man so much!!!!