PDA

View Full Version : The famous no.6, anyone deserve to wear it from 2011?

bornadog
06-09-2010, 09:26 PM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/number6.jpg

Many famous names have worn it over the years, including Charlie Sutton. Do we have anyone on the list that should take it over or do we just retire it for a few years?

Rocco Jones
06-09-2010, 09:31 PM
It seems like we aren't into retiring numbers with Higgins getting 7 from West and Dre 3 from Grant the season following their respective retirements.

Liam Picken for me. Perhaps Griff but he is already a gun in his own right and making 16 his own.

chef
06-09-2010, 09:32 PM
I would be happy if one of Ward, Jones or Wood got it(probably Ward would make me happiest).

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 09:34 PM
Give it to Grant.

The Doctor
06-09-2010, 09:34 PM
Liam Jones

FriendlyFires
06-09-2010, 09:35 PM
I think retire it for a year, and have a big think. Not rush into anything.

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 09:37 PM
Only about three or four famous No. 6's there as far as I can see. Would like it to be given to Easton Wood.

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 09:41 PM
Would be happy to see Wood or Ward wearing it..

The Pie Man
06-09-2010, 09:46 PM
It seems like we aren't into retiring numbers with Higgins getting 7 from West and Dre 3 from Grant the season following their respective retirements.

Liam Picken for me. Perhaps Griff but he is already a gun in his own right and making 16 his own.

Picken for mine as well

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 09:51 PM
Wood or Ward. Probably Ward.

Bumper Bulldogs
06-09-2010, 09:55 PM
For me I would leave it a couple of years and see how the draft comes along. no need to fill it for the sake of it.

Next year we will have No 3, 6, 8 & 10 for anyone who needs a jumper.

The Pie Man
06-09-2010, 09:57 PM
For me I would leave it a couple of years and see how the draft comes along. no need to fill it for the sake of it.

A couple of those aren't locked away yet, do you know something we don't?

Rocco Jones
06-09-2010, 10:05 PM

Number 3 will be available but number 8 won't.

Scorlibo
06-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Ward already has a good number. Give it to Grant I reckon.

Pickenitup
06-09-2010, 10:17 PM
How about the captain of the club wears 6 like Richmond do with Number 17?

Dazza
06-09-2010, 10:27 PM
I'm not sure why but Grant seems the type of kid that would want to make his own mark in #1.

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Let it rest for a few years.
Chris handed over #3 too quick, likewise did Scot with #7, Let Brad hand it over to some truly deserving in around 3 years time when he returns to COACH the Club

The Coon Dog
06-09-2010, 10:37 PM
How about the captain of the club wears 6 like Richmond do with Number 17?

I hate that idea. Port also do it with #1.

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 10:49 PM
No way retire it for a couple of years at least merchandise will make a killing

AndrewP6
06-09-2010, 10:53 PM
Jones maybe.

While I'm at it, if Merlin is keen, give him #3... Grant to Grant...or as dazb has said, let him make #1 his own..

Oh, I don't know... I'll have another drink then decide :D

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 10:57 PM
I'm not opposed to giving it a rest for a year, but I think Picken would be a worthy number 6.

Greystache
06-09-2010, 11:06 PM

The club will hold #10 for a couple of years in case Lachlan Hunter is drafted.

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 11:17 PM
who'll get #20?????

lemmon
07-09-2010, 01:25 AM
Number 3 will be available but number 8 won't.

Sorry but is this inside knowledge or innuendo? I love Dre and would be shattered to see him go, I think he could be a really solid player

boydogs
07-09-2010, 01:33 AM
Harbrow may have been a good option, having 40 at the moment. Ward already has 14 but would be my choice

SlimPickens
07-09-2010, 08:11 AM
Has to be slim!

Desipura
07-09-2010, 08:40 AM
No surprise I think Jones or Wood. I do not like the look of number 19, the past still haunts me!
Low numbers are normally allocated to regular senior players, something both of them will become in the future.

The Coon Dog
07-09-2010, 09:02 AM
No surprise I think Jones or Wood. I do not like the look of number 19, the past still haunts me!
Low numbers are normally allocated to regular senior players, something both of them will become in the future.

Zeno!!!!!!!! ;)

Desipura
07-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Zeno!!!!!!!! ;)

I knew/hoped you would reply ;)
Dont forget Terry Love

LostDoggy
07-09-2010, 10:49 AM
Whoever Johnno decides should wear it!

Ozza
07-09-2010, 11:11 AM
I could see Johno passing it on to Liam Picken.

LostDoggy
07-09-2010, 11:13 AM
I don't think there's any need to rush into it. See what happens over the next season or two.

Curly5
07-09-2010, 12:01 PM
I'm not sure why but Grant seems the type of kid that would want to make his own mark in #1.

Let's face it, he's so skinny, number 1 is the only number that would fit on his jumper. :D

mighty_west
07-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Retire the number for a year in respect, then have a look.

Not to sure about the calls on Grant, he has already changed numbers once, and whats so wrong with 1?

I must admit i'm a little old school in something like changing numbers, not a big fan of players not earning a switch, was never a fan of Hill or McDoogs or Stacky changing, what had they achieved to warrant a number change? I believe you have to earn that right.

The likes of Ward & Griff & Jones should keep their numbers, Ward changing would be a bit of a slap in the face for Darcy, 16 is a great number for Griff, and lets see Jones make 19 his own, a low number in the teens, not too many at Footscray made 19 famous.

However, if Brad decided he decided that he wasn't fussed about retiring the number, i'd ask Dale, he has more than earn't that right!

Bumper Bulldogs
07-09-2010, 09:16 PM
Sorry but is this inside knowledge or innuendo? I love Dre and would be shattered to see him go, I think he could be a really solid player

Its not inside knowledge but at a guess I would think that Gold coast would take him as he cant get a game with us and after last years trade bait, I think he would have had enough.;)

chef
07-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Its not inside knowledge but at a guess I would think that Gold coast would take him as he cant get a game with us and after last years trade bait, I think he would have had enough.;)

He's still got a year to go on his contract, so if he's going to be going anywhere it will have to be as a trade.

Bumper Bulldogs
07-09-2010, 09:24 PM
He's still got a year to go on his contract, so if he's going to be going anywhere it will have to be as a trade.

I'm hearing that GC have plenty of picks they will trade. It would be an interesting trade as i think he has all the makings of a 150 game player but not in our side at the moment.

i look at him and ask is he really happy within the group?

chef
07-09-2010, 09:29 PM
I'm hearing that GC have plenty of picks they will trade. It would be an interesting trade as i think he has all the makings of a 150 game player but not in our side at the moment.

i look at him and ask is he really happy within the group?

I've heard elsewhere Carlton have been at him again, but he's been guaranteed more games with the Dogs next year with our retirements and is happy to stay. It could be crap but it comes from a usually reliable source.

LostDoggy
07-09-2010, 09:29 PM
I've heard elsewhere Carlton have been at him again, but he's been guaranteed more games with the Dogs next year with our retirements and is happy to stay. It could be crap but it comes from a usually reliable source.

That's very good to here, if true.

Bumper Bulldogs
07-09-2010, 09:32 PM

That make's me happy, keep the good news coming for the next 3 weeks anyway :D

Doc26
07-09-2010, 10:22 PM
If the ink is not yet dry I'd also offer it to Harbrow in a last ditch effort to keep him. That 40 must be weighing him down.

GVGjr
07-09-2010, 10:31 PM
My opinion a couple of years back was that anyone who reached the 300 game milestone ideally should have their jumper retired for one season after their retirement.
It wouldn't happen often because it's such a significant achievement.

The only thing is that if there was an outstanding candidate who wanted to carry on that tradition of the number then that should considered. West asking for Hawks number is the sort of option I think the club and retiring player could consider.

Not fussed either way.

EasternWest
08-09-2010, 06:06 PM
My opinion a couple of years back was that anyone who reached the 300 game milestone ideally should have their jumper retired for one season after their retirement.
It wouldn't happen often because it's such a significant achievement.

The only thing is that if there was an outstanding candidate who wanted to carry on that tradition of the number then that should considered. West asking for Hawks number is the sort of option I think the club and retiring player could consider.

Not fussed either way.

Did that actually happen? That's cool.

Dancin' Douggy
08-09-2010, 09:18 PM
Honestly no one deserves it right now.
Keep it.
Wait.

Doggy
21-09-2010, 10:15 PM
The club will hold #10 for a couple of years in case Lachlan Hunter is drafted.

What is the story with this kid? I know he is the son of Mark, but that's about it.
Does he qualify for father son this year/next year?
Who is he currently playing with?
What sort of player is he?

BulldogBelle
21-09-2010, 11:01 PM
Dale Morris should take it. 38 isn't a captains number....and yes, Dale for captain as well.

Greystache
21-09-2010, 11:40 PM
What is the story with this kid? I know he is the son of Mark, but that's about it.
Does he qualify for father son this year/next year?
Who is he currently playing with?
What sort of player is he?

F/S 2012

St Kevins senior team (he's in year 10) Played in the Western Jets under 18's at the end of the season including kicking the winning (he's a year below bottom age), and played for Vic Metro in the under 16 national carnival.

He's a 183cm(ish) quick, skillful midfielder/wingman who plays forward when against older kids

ledge
22-09-2010, 12:46 AM
If Mitch Wallis doesnt want his dads number give it to Mitch , already captained a premiership side, thats a good sign.

Mofra
22-09-2010, 10:50 AM
No 6? Picken can have it if he wants it.

Picken can choose to have Pi on the back of his jumper for all I care, he's earned the right to select any unused number except for 10,24 & 39 (the F/S numbers)

LostDoggy
22-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Yep, Liam Picken (if he wants it). Won't have to change my existing no. 6 guernsey number then!! ;)

Sedat
22-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Give it to Jones, just to get him away from the cursed No.19

Ozza
22-09-2010, 12:33 PM
We have a few players who could chop and change...

Jones from 19 to something else perhaps.
Wood from 29 perhaps
Picken's 42
Hooper's 41
perhaps even Dale to shelve 38 if the 6 was given to him...
Moles 44

Greystache
22-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Give it to Jones, just to get him away from the cursed No.19

I was think that too, perhaps No.3 has his name on it?

jazzadogs
22-09-2010, 02:18 PM
I'd love Ward in number 6, but I feel that 14 is probably too 'respected' of a number for him to change.

Mofra
22-09-2010, 02:23 PM
I was think that too, perhaps No.3 has his name on it?
If Skinny goes he'd have to be the leading contender

Doggy
22-09-2010, 06:34 PM
F/S 2012

St Kevins senior team (he's in year 10) Played in the Western Jets under 18's at the end of the season including kicking the winning (he's a year below bottom age), and played for Vic Metro in the under 16 national carnival.

He's a 183cm(ish) quick, skillful midfielder/wingman who plays forward when against older kids

Sounds promisiing. Thanks

LostDoggy
22-09-2010, 09:25 PM
Wallis or Libba, but would prefer the club to rest it for a long serving candidate.

Go dogs 2011........................

LostDoggy
22-09-2010, 09:56 PM
Dale Morris should take it. 38 isn't a captains number....and yes, Dale for captain as well.

perhaps even Dale to shelve 38 if the 6 was given to him...

I don't want to change my name again :D

EasternWest
23-09-2010, 09:17 AM
I don't want to change my name again :D

True. This should be the deciding factor for Dale to consider :).

Besides, I like the idea of Morris in 38. It's an unassuming number, as he is. He's made it his own. It's unfashionable, but so is lockdown defense with just ok foot skills. Yet he's a master.

Dale to keep 38.

Mofra
23-09-2010, 11:13 AM
True. This should be the deciding factor for Dale to consider :).

Besides, I like the idea of Morris in 38. It's an unassuming number, as he is. He's made it his own. It's unfashionable, but so is lockdown defense with just ok foot skills. Yet he's a master.

Dale to keep 38.
I agree - certain numbers have an allure to them for interesting reasons.
42 Seems to be the rookie made good number (Boyd, then Picken)
8 Tends to be the tough number (Kennedy, Toohey, Hahn, Southern, was Dent in 8 as well?)
19 Appears to be cursed
Morris has made 38 into something the way Fruitcake Ford made 45 an interesting number.

Greystache
23-09-2010, 11:16 AM
8 Tends to be the tough number (Kennedy, Toohey, Hahn, Southern, was Dent in 8 as well?)
19 Appears to be cursed
Morris has made 38 into something the way Fruitcake Ford made 45 an interesting number.

Dent wore 21

I loved Toohey, the last of the outright thugs!

comrade
23-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Give 6 a rest for a year or two and see who pops up.

We gave Dre the number 3 jumper way too early and I wouldn't want it to happen again.

Mofra
23-09-2010, 11:20 AM
Dent wore 21

I loved Toohey, the last of the outright thugs!
I stand corrected. Nice to see I'm not alone in appreciating Bernard - he took hits as well as gave them, true tough guy.

Greystache
23-09-2010, 11:31 AM
I stand corrected. Nice to see I'm not alone in appreciating Bernard - he took hits as well as gave them, true tough guy.

A family friend was playing alongside Toohey in his Bulldog days and he was in love with him. He said you walked taller knowing you had someone in your team that will fly the flag for a team mate no matter who it meant standing up to. In those days if anyone was getting roughed up the standing order was to run their opponent past Toohey and he'd sort them out with an eye splitting elbow or a rib breaking short right hand.

comrade
23-09-2010, 11:43 AM
A family friend was playing alongside Toohey in his Bulldog days and he was in love with him. He said you walked taller knowing you had someone in your team that will fly the flag for a team mate no matter who it meant standing up to. In those days if anyone was getting roughed up the standing order was to run their opponent past Toohey and he'd sort them out with an eye splitting elbow or a rib breaking short right hand.

Times have certainly changed.

azabob
23-09-2010, 11:48 AM

Times have certainly changed.

On that, have our players been instructed not to get involved in push and shove or they choose not to?

Our boys just don't seem to want to get involved in the push and shove even if a teammate is in the middle of it. Very noticeable in the finals against Saints and Pies especially in our forward 50.

comrade
23-09-2010, 11:53 AM
On that, have our players been instructed not to get involved in push and shove or they choose not to?

Our boys just don't seem to want to get involved in the push and shove even if a teammate is in the middle of it. Very noticeable in the finals against Saints and Pies especially in our forward 50.

We just don't have many players prepared to put an opponent on their backside.

mighty_west
23-09-2010, 12:13 PM
We just don't have many players prepared to put an opponent on their backside.

We don't seem to have many that will stick up for our own team mates either, when in need, unlike Geelong when McPee roughed up Selwood, moments later Selwood slots through a goal, and at least 6 or 7 Geelong boys went up and told McPee all about it in no uncertain terms.

Ozza
23-09-2010, 12:22 PM

yet when Brad Johnson was doing it to Heath Shaw he was criticised on here for doing so - and apparently being more worried about pushing and shoving and being physical against Shaw than getting the ball.

comrade
23-09-2010, 12:44 PM
yet when Brad Johnson was doing it to Heath Shaw he was criticised on here for doing so - and apparently being more worried about pushing and shoving and being physical against Shaw than getting the ball.

Johnno was doing it with a huge smile on his face (unusual, I know) so to me, it came across as more of a niggly, annoying act rather than one with intent to intimidate.

Big difference between annoying and intimidation.

Greystache
23-09-2010, 01:06 PM

Bumping and niggling when you can't get the footy looks sad and bitter, doing it when you're on top your game comes across as a player confident and not prepared to take a backward step.

Johnson was the former in that situation.

Ozza
23-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Johnno was doing it with a huge smile on his face (unusual, I know) so to me, it came across as more of a niggly, annoying act rather than one with intent to intimidate.

Big difference between annoying and intimidation.

What do you suggest players do? I mean its all fluff anyway isn't it? Nobody gets intimidated by any of that because nobody gets hurt by the niggle. I don't think Johnno was trying to intimidate Shaw anyway - I think he was trying to annoy him and try to get him off his game early in the piece.

Bumping and niggling when you can't get the footy looks sad and bitter, doing it when you're on top your game comes across as a player confident and not prepared to take a backward step.

Johnson was the former in that situation.

So only players in good form, going well are allowed to bump and niggle? Are defenders allowed to niggle - but only if they haven't had a few goals kicked on them? Because by this reckoning if we are getting belted we shouldn't be physical off the ball....but then we can go ahead criticise the boys for being soft I suppose.

Personally, - again - I think its all fluff. We don't need players to be putting the opposition on their backside and whatever else. North tried to do that to us when they were 80 points down, Hawthorn do it every time they're losing. The winning team always looks 'tougher' because they are winning. I'm really only concerned with blokes who are physical in the contest, shepherds and tackles - and that has to be consistent. We were pretty fierce at the ball in the prelim, and in the semi - but we weren't against Collingwood and got smashed in contested possessions after doing it well all year.

Sockeye Salmon
23-09-2010, 05:59 PM
What do you suggest players do? I mean its all fluff anyway isn't it? Nobody gets intimidated by any of that because nobody gets hurt by the niggle. I don't think Johnno was trying to intimidate Shaw anyway - I think he was trying to annoy him and try to get him off his game early in the piece.

So only players in good form, going well are allowed to bump and niggle? Are defenders allowed to niggle - but only if they haven't had a few goals kicked on them? Because by this reckoning if we are getting belted we shouldn't be physical off the ball....but then we can go ahead criticise the boys for being soft I suppose.

Personally, - again - I think its all fluff. We don't need players to be putting the opposition on their backside and whatever else. North tried to do that to us when they were 80 points down, Hawthorn do it every time they're losing. The winning team always looks 'tougher' because they are winning. I'm really only concerned with blokes who are physical in the contest, shepherds and tackles - and that has to be consistent. We were pretty fierce at the ball in the prelim, and in the semi - but we weren't against Collingwood and got smashed in contested possessions after doing it well all year.

This

comrade
23-09-2010, 06:19 PM

That's the point - I'm not talking about niggle.

Johnno tried it on to annoy Shaw, not to physically stamp his authority.

The difference is Chapman hammered Picko in RD 20 to hurt him and help his teammate break free. Collingwood ambushed Clinton Jones earlier in the year to intimidate him and it worked.

Heck, even Welshy gave Gilbert 2 hours of physical hell in last year's prelim - not just some push and shove - and he still hasn't recovered.

I'm really only concerned with blokes who are physical in the contest, shepherds and tackles - and that has to be consistent.

Tackling is the one stat that measures defensive mindset and preparedness to get physical and we failed miserably this year. Perhaps the fact we're not prepared to fly the flag at times is linked to this?

We were pretty fierce at the ball in the prelim, and in the semi - but we weren't against Collingwood and got smashed in contested possessions after doing it well all year.

We were fierce in the prelim for the first hour. After that, not so much. We may have 'won' the last quarter but St Kilda had 5 on the bench.

Despite being ranked highly in contested possession, we play an uncontested brand of footy. Not only are we the worst tackling side in the competition, we also get tackled the least. That's fine when you're playing numpties like WC and North, but in a final, where the opposition wants to rip you apart, you need to be prepared for the physcial stuff. We're not and I believe that's why our pressure skills are woeful.

We need to get more physical.

bornadog
23-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Despite being ranked highly in contested possession, we play an uncontested brand of footy. Not only are we the worst tackling side in the competition, we also get tackled the least. That's fine when you're playing numpties like WC and North, but in a final, where the opposition wants to rip you apart, you need to be prepared for the physcial stuff. We're not and I believe that's why our pressure skills are woeful.

We need to get more physical.

But winning the contested posessions and hard ball gets , is that not physical?

The one area our tackling has been an issue is the forward line which brings our whole tackle count down. Guys like Johnno, Hahn, Gia, Higgins have let us down in the forward line, all for one reason or another. Next year we will have Jones, Grant, Hooper who are all fast and must tackle tackle tackle.

Ozza
23-09-2010, 07:17 PM
But winning the contested posessions and hard ball gets , is that not physical?

The one area our tackling has been an issue is the forward line which brings our whole tackle count down. Guys like Johnno, Hahn, Gia, Higgins have let us down in the forward line, all for one reason or another. Next year we will have Jones, Grant, Hooper who are all fast and must tackle tackle tackle.

Our set up once we go forward has to be better also. Not from inside the 50 - but setting up outside of it so we don't let the ball out of our half so easily. You watch Collingwood and St.Kilda - and many of their tackles occur when their opposition are trying to come out of defence. If we set up better - its probably worth 3 extra tackles a quarter very easily.

LostDoggy
23-09-2010, 09:13 PM
19 Appears to be cursed

Maybe Higgins should go back to it, played the better football then.