PDA

View Full Version : Leaving early when we're done - what's the big deal?

The Pie Man
06-09-2010, 09:45 PM
* Mods, I had no idea what forum to start this in, and I'm aware this has been debated before on other threads, so feel free to move/delete if need be. *

Saw plenty of Dogs fans leave early last Saturday night, and I ended up being one of them in the last 5 minutes in the hope of getting an early train (which I didn't - karma some of you may suggest :))

I note that people that are anti this action get really passionate about it - take me through it, as I just don't get it (and try to be reasonable ;))

It's not something I make a habit of doing, but I have no issue with it either - I've left about 5 games early in my life - Geelong in 95 at WO when Ablett snr went nuts, 98 prelim, Freo in 03, WCE in 07, and if you count leaving 5 minutes early on Saturday..Saturday night (I didn't go round 20 this year)

Rocco Jones
06-09-2010, 09:47 PM
I left at the end of the 3rd quarter. I wasn't angry (wasn't angry all night), my main reason to leave was boredom.

BulldogBelle
06-09-2010, 09:56 PM
Just left early to escape the hustle and bustle and Pie's supporters. Admittedly would've stayed had it been more of a contest... Just needed to get my train back and get into the local pub to bury my head in beer to help cure the pain of it all.

The Pie Man
06-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Just left early to escape the hustle and bustle and Pie's supporters. Admittedly would've stayed had it been more of a contest... Just needed to get my train back and get into the local pub to bury my head in beer to help cure the pain of it all.

I got home and drank a heap on Saturday - I just forget all about the stigma with drinking alone on night's like that (I wasn't even that upset, just bewildered)

Before I Die
06-09-2010, 10:03 PM
Have never left early, never will. Not sure why, it's simply not going to happen. Have to admit though that I enjoy the sight of other teams supporters walking out early. And I must say that after listening to the filth laughing derisively at Johhno on Saturday night, I was not going to give any of their fans any excuse to have any fun at my expense.

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 10:11 PM
I stay to the end but never stay for opposition theme songs. Makes for a tiresome trip with hair like mine. Everyone want to tell me how good their teams are for strange reason.

The Pie Man
06-09-2010, 10:14 PM
Have never left early, never will. Not sure why, it's simply not going to happen. Have to admit though that I enjoy the sight of other teams supporters walking out early. And I must say that after listening to the filth laughing derisively at Johhno on Saturday night, I was not going to give any of their fans any excuse to have any fun at my expense.

It's part of the theatre isn't it? I reckon it's funny as

What wasn't funny was the crowd at BJ on Saturday, was giving me the shits - these muppets were carrying on about/hailing Leigh Brown, I turned to the guy next to me and said 'the same clowns would've spewed when they recuited him'

Remi Moses
06-09-2010, 10:16 PM
I think we should be more worried at the fact our football side had a paltry 31 tackles and 3 players had 22!!Embarrassing ,disgraceful,Soft and insipid no wonder we are coping a pounding
Good News we had a time high pointing the finger stat Saturday night !

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 10:31 PM
I think we should be more worried at the fact our football side had a paltry 31 tackles and 3 players had 22!!Embarrassing ,disgraceful,Soft and insipid no wonder we are coping a pounding
Good News we had a time high pointing the finger stat Saturday night !

I think the count was 58 in the end. We lost by 10 goals I know they missed alot but we were missing to. The facts are we were deplorable Swan, Pendals and Thomas had 55 Uncontested Possessions between them and we only lost by 10 kicks. It aint the end of the world. I know my optimisim bores me sometimes but Im waiting patiently ;)

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 10:32 PM
As for leaving early as long as I see one of the players busting a gut I aint goin anywhere!

AndrewP6
06-09-2010, 10:35 PM
I take great delight in seeing off opposition supporters who leave early...I can't put myself in that same position!! :) I've seriously considered it probably three times this season alone though :(

NoseBleed
06-09-2010, 11:38 PM
To me it's simple. If you follow a team, leave whenever you like. But if you support a team, your job is to be there for as long as your teams playing.

In our family, if you were to leave early, just because our team is behind, you wouldn't have a seat saved for you next game.

We enjoy the highs so much more because we've stuck round for the lows.

No one should be expected to hang round if the opposition are singing their song. But until the siren sounds, real supporters stay with the team. It's how WE earn the right to belt out Sons of the Scray when we win.

Got a plane to catch, a job to go to, a wedding to be part of? Sure, leave early if it's part of the original plan. But if you go to the footy as a supporter, don't just bugger of if you don't like what you see. If you do, you're actually just a spectator.

Craig.

bornadog
06-09-2010, 11:45 PM
To me it's simple. If you follow a team, leave whenever you like. But if you support a team, your job is to be there for as long as your teams playing.

In our family, if you were to leave early, just because our team is behind, you wouldn't have a seat saved for you next game.

We enjoy the highs so much more because we've stuck round for the lows.

No one should be expected to hang round if the opposition are singing their song. But until the siren sounds, real supporters stay with the team. It's how WE earn the right to belt out Sons of the Scray when we win.

Got a plane to catch, a job to go to, a wedding to be part of? Sure, leave early if it's part of the original plan. But if you go to the footy as a supporter, don't just bugger of if you don't like what you see. If you do, you're actually just a spectator.

Craig.

Agree except when we play Collingwood, I can't stand seeing their happy faces and singing that song.

The Pie Man
06-09-2010, 11:53 PM

Craig.

Well said NB - I still feel a very passionate supporter of the Dogs despite having left a few games early, but that was very well put.

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 11:57 PM
I'm not the one driving - I leave when my mum wants to :cool:

LostDoggy
07-09-2010, 12:10 AM
Personally, i decide to stay until the end and put up with the pain of an inevitable loss with the players and fellow supporters. People have their reasons for leaving early, but I believe it can be seen as selfish if EVERY time your team is losing you leave early. The whole point of supporting a team is to support them through the good times AND the bad times. There's no point in being a band-wagoner imo!

The Bulldogs Bite
07-09-2010, 12:12 AM
Left 5 minutes early and have a couple of times in disappointing floggings recently.

Remi Moses
07-09-2010, 12:25 AM
I think the count was 58 in the end. We lost by 10 goals I know they missed alot but we were missing to. The facts are we were deplorable Swan, Pendals and Thomas had 55 Uncontested Possessions between them and we only lost by 10 kicks. It aint the end of the world. I know my optimisim bores me sometimes but Im waiting patiently ;)

Apologies saw that stat on "On The Couch".
Seeing an old fossil in a pink shirt concerns me!!