PDA

View Full Version : Reasons for hope

Raw Toast
07-09-2010, 12:47 AM
For some strange reason I'm one of the more optimistic Dogs fans (or so it seems glancing around this board atm). So while too enjoy I venting my frustration (though not as much as some), I thought it was worth having another one of those threads where people can post hopeful comments...

For mine there are a few reasons to still have some optimism. The first is that I thought we seemed at times to be getting our fitness back against the Pies. At the end of the 2nd and 3rd quarters we'd run them ragged but couldn't take advantage of it and were pretty out of it anyway. But I still take some solace from it.

I also like our recent record against the Swans bar the last game, though we'll get to chat more about that when the preview thread comes later in the week.

And finally for now, while I'm no advocate of gambling (;)), our value for the flag is the best it's been for months so now we can all be rich as well as ecstatic on the last Saturday of Sept!

LostDoggy
07-09-2010, 12:52 AM
For anyone who went to the night with the trainers recently Plastered on the wall in there is the aim "to be the hardest running team in the fourth quarter of games." Thats the gist of it anyway. If that's one of their core values then surely its in their mindset. Does anyone know what the CFD stands for? Got me miffed it does.

Raw Toast
07-09-2010, 01:03 AM
For anyone who went to the night with the trainers recently Plastered on the wall in there is the aim "to be the hardest running team in the fourth quarter of games." Thats the gist of it anyway. If that's one of their core values then surely its in their mindset. Does anyone know what the CFD stands for? Got me miffed it does.

Don't know about the CFD but we've had that running aim for the last couple of years. Last year we were the fittest team in the comp imo, this year it's been less clear (though earlier in the season teams were a bit more prepared, gave everything against us and tended to pay for it the next week - it took a long time for a team other than Collingwood to win the week after playing us, and they only beat Melbourne after the goal-line fumble...).

But our running capacity seemed shot after the flu, and this is the first sign I've seen of it coming back. And we'll need to be running very hard in the 4th quarter to beat the Saints. The Pies have been up there in terms of fitness this year imo, so while they overran us in the last, the seeming fitness advantage that we enjoyed at the end of the 2nd and 3rd quarters is still a good sign imo.

Desipura
07-09-2010, 09:02 AM
Conquer finals demons, nah dont know.

Daughter of the West
07-09-2010, 03:26 PM
Hi everyone

First time poster, long time supporter (I have baby pictures of me in Bulldogs booties, so you get the drift).

Just put CFD into google, aside from "Chinese Fire Drill", could it be "Control Flow Disrupt"?

Might make sense that they're planning on running hard, controlling the flow of the game and disrupting the opponent.

LostDoggy
07-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Hi everyone

First time poster, long time supporter (I have baby pictures of me in Bulldogs booties, so you get the drift).

Just put CFD into google, aside from "Chinese Fire Drill", could it be "Control Flow Disrupt"?

Might make sense that they're planning on running hard, controlling the flow of the game and disrupting the opponent.

What a flippin' cool first post. I think I'm.. you know.

stefoid
07-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Hi everyone

I think Chinese Fire Drill pretty much sums up our recent form.

EasternWest
07-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Hi everyone

Hi DOTW. You may be onto something. Welcome to WOOF.

choconmientay
07-09-2010, 05:50 PM
here is my reason for hope: Gillard -> PM ... now Bulldogs -> PS

Dancin' Douggy
07-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Contested Football Domination?

SonofScray
07-09-2010, 05:55 PM
I've been a real roller coaster since the dog flu. From optimism to hopelessness, to resignation, to defiance, to hopelessness again and now I'm a little bit angry with the world.

I've flipped on the Johnno issue, and think that despite the fact we should've made the call earlier, now we should stick it out. I'm growing in confidence that the Pies was a real rock bottom sort of outcome and that with a bit of pressure off he will find something, we will lift and maybe get over the line this weekend.

Outside the Saints, the rest of the contenders look like they could wobble badly from one week to the next. Maybe a bit of luck and you knock any of them over. With regards to the Saints, its the great test isn't it? We've been close and I'd dare say the players would love to knock them off and try put some demons to bed there.

I am excited to see what the rest of this year brings, already the indicators are that things will have to change soon.

Sedat
07-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Does anyone know what the CFD stands for?
Callan Falls Down? :D

Greystache
07-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Callan Falls Down? :D

We might have a winner!

I was thinking Contract For Difference, perhaps the boys have a club wide investment portfolio strategy!

LostDoggy
07-09-2010, 06:29 PM
Correction required is says CRU. Still makes no obvious sense to me.

Daughter of the West
07-09-2010, 06:42 PM
Correction required is says CRU. Still makes no obvious sense to me.

Canine Rescue Unit? Seems pretty appropriate right now... :D

LostDoggy
07-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Canine Rescue Unit? Seems pretty appropriate right now... :D

:D Spot on! Welcome to Woof

Mantis
07-09-2010, 10:42 PM
Consistent
Ruthless
United

LostDoggy
08-09-2010, 12:10 AM
Hi DOTW. You may be onto something. Welcome to WOOF.

That's what I use to describe how I feel after a Bulldog loss. Dirty On The World. No offence, Daughter OTW. Great cherry posting, by the way. I was posted before I first posted, FYI. :)