PDA

View Full Version : AFL announces key fixture details for 2011

The Coon Dog
07-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Adam McNicol - AFL Website - 7 September

NEXT year's AFL fixture will consist of 19 rounds of eight games and five rounds of seven games to accommodate the introduction of the Gold Coast Suns.

For next season only - given the competition will expand to 18 teams in 2012 - all 17 clubs must have two byes to enable a 22-game season to be completed across 24 weekends of football.

Having looked at various options to construct a 187-match season, the AFL decided this would be the most appropriate way to breakdown the season.

Article in full... (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/102170/default.aspx)

* Took me a little while to get that, but simply all sides will play 22 games & have 2 byes in a 24 week season.

Of those 24 weeks, 19 of them will feature 8 games & the remaining 5 weeks will feature 7 games.

LostDoggy
07-09-2010, 08:36 PM
Yeah I read it too, took me a bit to get my head around it.

In summary I think it is going to work out well.

AndrewP6
07-09-2010, 08:44 PM
Sounds good to me... GO DOGS!

The Coon Dog
07-09-2010, 08:51 PM
I guess the timing of your 2 byes is crucial. If you had one very near the start or end of the season, it would be similar to now as you would then have 1 bye mid season.

Ideally it would be good to have your 2 byes in rounds 8 & 16. You would then have blocks of 7,7 & 6 games, nice & evenly spaced.

LostDoggy
07-09-2010, 09:07 PM
Ideally it would be good to have your 2 byes in rounds 8 & 16. You would then have blocks of 7,7 & 6 games, nice & evenly spaced.

Yeah that would be ideal - It will be interesting to see which teams win out and who gets the raw deal of how their Bye's are scheduled.

Sockeye Salmon
07-09-2010, 10:02 PM
Yeah that would be ideal - It will be interesting to see which teams win out and who gets the raw deal of how their Bye's are scheduled.

Gold Coast are already losers.

A bye in the first week is the worst possible outcome. It will put their preperation back a week and then they only get one mid-season break.

Mofra
08-09-2010, 11:20 AM
Gold Coast are already losers.

A bye in the first week is the worst possible outcome. It will put their preperation back a week and then they only get one mid-season break.
The AFL wanted to protect the Richmond/Carlton curtain raiser hype and the hype of GC17's first game. It was probably the only way they could do it.

I certainly expect they wont be claiming the AFL hasn't supported them enough ;)

jazzadogs
08-09-2010, 11:23 AM
I doubt Malthouse will complain about Collingwood's fixture ;)

LostDoggy
08-09-2010, 01:09 PM
I doubt Malthouse will complain about Collingwood's fixture ;)
He will complain with no merit for his complaint, he reckons they got a bad draw this year.
If a bad draw equals the last 8 games at your home (MCG) not many trips interstate, then they got a bad draw.

Desipura
08-09-2010, 01:12 PM
He will complain with no merit for his complaint, he reckons they got a bad draw this year.
If a bad draw equals the last 8 games at your home (MCG) not many trips interstate, then they got a bad draw.
I will play Devils Advocate. If every team wants to play Collingwood as a home game (so they can get generate revenue), is that their fault?
Other than interstate games (for memeory they play 5 this year), where else can Collingwood play games? Etihad Stadium is too small for Collingwood to play against the majority of big drawing Victorian teams.
We have been lucky or unlucky enough to play them twice at our home ground the last 2 seasons.

NoName
17-10-2010, 07:23 PM
Anyone know when the draw is released for next season?

MrMahatma
17-10-2010, 08:26 PM
Timing of the byes will be crucial I think. Keeping guys fresh is vital. Anything before Rd 4 is a waste and wouldn't want one in Rd 22.

KT31
17-10-2010, 09:52 PM
Timing of the byes will be crucial I think. Keeping guys fresh is vital. Anything before Rd 4 is a waste and wouldn't want one in Rd 22.

A bye after a interstate trip would also be a bonus.

LostDoggy
17-10-2010, 11:15 PM
Anyone know when the draw is released for next season?

Late October according to AFL.com.au

NoName
18-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Late October according to AFL.com.au

Thanks.

The Adelaide Connection
18-10-2010, 09:00 PM

The bye situation is just another advantage/disadvantage point in the draw and the sceptic in me is very worried that the clubs with muscle will be able to coerce the AFL into giving them byes in more favourable rounds.

Personally I think it should be a names in a pot, pull one out at a time system for maximum transparency. But Alas that is too fair and will never happen.

LostDoggy
18-10-2010, 09:40 PM
Personally I think it should be a names in a pot, pull one out at a time system for maximum transparency. But Alas that is too fair and will never happen.

Eddie wouldn't like that one, so its a no go :rolleyes:

anfo27
18-10-2010, 09:50 PM
it will be a nightmare for supercoach & dreamteam comps.

LostDoggy
19-10-2010, 10:55 AM
I hope we play Hawthorn in Launceston - my husband barracks for the Hawks & it's a great excuse to visit lovely Tasmania again. :)

The Coon Dog
19-10-2010, 04:26 PM
NEXT year's home and away season will again finish with a 'floating' final round to ensure clubs have enough rest before the finals.

The AFL will release the fixture on Friday, October 29.

Link (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/104275/default.aspx)

Greystache
19-10-2010, 04:27 PM
NEXT year's home and away season will again finish with a 'floating' final round to ensure clubs have enough rest before the finals.

The AFL will release the fixture on Friday, October 29.

Link (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/104275/default.aspx)

They just waiting for Eddie McGuire to rubber stamp it TCD? ;)

The Coon Dog
19-10-2010, 04:30 PM
They just waiting for Eddie McGuire to rubber stamp it TCD? ;)

I guess we'll know when we see how many interstate games Collingwood get & how many MCG games Collingwood get & how many Friday night games Collingwood get & how many 'stand alone' games Collingwood get.

LostDoggy
20-10-2010, 08:16 AM
I guess we'll know when we see how many interstate games Collingwood get & how many MCG games Collingwood get & how many Friday night games Collingwood get & how many 'stand alone' games Collingwood get.

Yes but we'll get the better the draw :rolleyes:

Remi Moses
21-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Have to stop moaning about the draw until we stop selling home games.
Collingwood had 4 interstate trips as we did,not forgetting we sold two home games,let's
Not worry and complain when it's our own doing!

Desipura
21-10-2010, 12:05 PM
Collingwood had 4 interstate trips as we did,not forgetting we sold two home games,let's

Well said!

The Coon Dog
22-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Sunday Feb 20

Bulldogs, Geelong & North Melbourne to clash in the NAB Cup at Skilled Stadium.

The 2011 NAB Cup will be an 18-team competition - with Greater Western Sydney included along with league debutants Gold Coast Suns - featuring six pools of three teams.

The six pool winners and the next two best-performed sides will progress to the second round.

Each pool will play back-to-back matches consisting of 20-minute halves in a new concept likened to cricket's Twenty20 format.

Link (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/chris-and-brad-scott-to-clash-in-nab-cup-round-1/story-e6frf9jf-1225942215550)

chef
22-10-2010, 07:10 PM
Sunday Feb 20

Bulldogs, Geelong & North Melbourne to clash in the NAB Cup at Skilled Stadium.

The 2011 NAB Cup will be an 18-team competition - with Greater Western Sydney included along with league debutants Gold Coast Suns - featuring six pools of three teams.

The six pool winners and the next two best-performed sides will progress to the second round.

Each pool will play back-to-back matches consisting of 20-minute halves in a new concept likened to cricket's Twenty20 format.

Link (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/chris-and-brad-scott-to-clash-in-nab-cup-round-1/story-e6frf9jf-1225942215550)

Happy with that. Not far to travel and playing on a decent surface:)

boydogs
22-10-2010, 10:31 PM

So if it's:

WB v NM
WB v Geel
NM v Geel

Geelong would win game 2 as we just played, and North would win game 3 as Geelong just played. Or at least have a major advantage.

LostDoggy
23-10-2010, 09:36 AM
Very new and different way but looking forward to it!

mighty_west
23-10-2010, 10:40 AM
So if it's:

WB v NM
WB v Geel
NM v Geel

Geelong would win game 2 as we just played, and North would win game 3 as Geelong just played. Or at least have a major advantage.

Not necessarily, how would North go playing a game, then sitting a game out, only to go back full tilt into a another game after cooling down?

Scorlibo
23-10-2010, 10:40 PM
Not necessarily, how would North go playing a game, then sitting a game out, only to go back full tilt into a another game after cooling down?

Every club will work out ways to keep their players on the ball, and warm. There is an undoubted, distinct advantage for one team, and another which will be at a disadvantage.

The Coon Dog
24-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Jay Clarke - Herald Sun 24 October

Saints and Cats to clash in Round 1

GEELONG and St Kilda are set to re-ignite their fierce rivalry in a Round 1 night-time blockbuster next season.

The AFL is expected to announce the two premiership heavyweights will meet on either Friday or Saturday night of the opening round when the 2011 fixture is released on Friday.

Though late changes can still be made, it is understood league chiefs want a marquee-match-up to help launch the new season.

The two clubs, whose rivalry dates back to 2003 when they emerged as young sides on the rise, have a history of classic battles.

Article in full... (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/saints-and-cats-to-clash-in-round-1/story-e6frf9jf-1225942708663)

Also suggest for R1:

Adel v Haw
WCE v NM
GC - Bye

Flamethrower
24-10-2010, 11:24 AM
Extrapolating from a number of articles, round 1 could look like this....

Geelong v St Kilda
Adelaide v Hawthorn
West Coast v North Melbourne
Carlton v Richmond
Essendon v Victorian team (Bulldogs or Melbourne)
TBA v Fremantle*
TBA v Port Adelaide*
Gold Coast - bye

* It is unlikely that Perth or Adelaide would host 2 games, as the AFL tries to avoid this.

That leaves Collingwood, Brisbane Lions and Sydney Swans

Rocco Jones
24-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Extrapolating from a number of articles, round 1 could look like this....

Geelong v St Kilda
Adelaide v Hawthorn
West Coast v North Melbourne
Carlton v Richmond
Essendon v Victorian team (Bulldogs or Melbourne)
TBA v Fremantle*
TBA v Port Adelaide*
Gold Coast - bye

* It is unlikely that Perth or Adelaide would host 2 games, as the AFL tries to avoid this.

That leaves Collingwood, Brisbane Lions and Sydney Swans

Yep. With GC having the bye, I think you can lock in Brisbane for a home game first up as well. I have a feeling Collingwood will get the chance to unfurl their flag first up against Freo at home.

The Coon Dog
26-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Here is the draw for the 2011 NAB Cup:

ROUND ONE POOLS AND THEIR LOCATIONS

- Adelaide, Port Adelaide and Melbourne at AAMI Stadium, February 11 (Friday night)

- Collingwood, Carlton and Richmond at Etihad Stadium, February 12 (Saturday night)

- West Coast, Fremantle and Hawthorn at Patersons Stadium (Subiaco Oval), February 13 (Sunday afternoon)

- Essendon, the Brisbane Lions and St Kilda at Etihad Stadium, February 18 (Friday night)

- Greater Western Sydney, Sydney Swans and Gold Coast at Blacktown Olympic Park, February 19 (Saturday night)

- Geelong, North Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs at Skilled Stadium, February 20 (Sunday afternoon)

Sockeye Salmon
26-10-2010, 12:05 PM
Does anyone else think that GC and GWS are in the same group so that GC can smash them and go through to the second round as the best 2nd place team?

Murphy'sLore
26-10-2010, 12:20 PM
You're such a cynic, Sockeye!

mighty_west
26-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Does anyone else think that GC and GWS are in the same group so that GC can smash them and go through to the second round as the best 2nd place team?

They probably had no choice, place them against the newbies who also have alot of kids and the Swans who just could not give a stuff about the NAB, never have...:D

Could you imagine some of the cricket scores had GWS been up against some of the stronger AFL sides, be like watching some of those old VFA games.

chef
26-10-2010, 12:31 PM
Etihad should sell out in record time for the the Collingwood, Richmond and Carlton group.

The Coon Dog
26-10-2010, 07:53 PM
Mark Stevens has just tweeted:

Fixture whisper: Ess gets wish of home game in round 1. Looks like being v Bulldogs.

Rocco Jones
26-10-2010, 08:03 PM

Yes.

chef
26-10-2010, 08:12 PM
Mark Stevens has just tweeted:

Fixture whisper: Ess gets wish of home game in round 1. Looks like being v Bulldogs.

Good news:)

LostDoggy
26-10-2010, 08:28 PM
I wonder which club president will have a sook first about the byes scheduled for them?

LostDoggy
26-10-2010, 09:02 PM

We sell home games cos we don't get collingwood's draw.

LostDoggy
26-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Had little interest in the pre season competition in past years. Now its a lightning premiership first round, it even less interest.

Remi Moses
26-10-2010, 09:18 PM

Let's be honest they are a Goliath of a football club . I agree they get a great run in reference to free to air hence more exposure to sponsors.
My point is that if we didn't sell those two home games we would have had 4 interstate trips,that's factual. They tend to win interstate anyway so it doesn't matter,they play well everywhere!

LostDoggy
26-10-2010, 10:45 PM
Anyone else hate how they've grouped the teams in the NAB? The big drawing clubs, the interstaters, etc.

What do North, Dogs and Geelong have in common -- we're kinda west of the G'? We're all working class? I'm surprised they didn't just put North, Dogs and Melbourne together and say 'hey, that's the group from which the next merger/relocation will come!'

I'm also already hating that the Scott twins storyline will drown out any Dogs related coverage of our group.

LostDoggy
27-10-2010, 07:46 AM
Let's be honest they are a Goliath of a football club . I agree they get a great run in reference to free to air hence more exposure to sponsors.
My point is that if we didn't sell those two home games we would have had 4 interstate trips,that's factual. They tend to win interstate anyway so it doesn't matter,they play well everywhere!

Its not just about winning interstate, its also about recovery and preparation to win the following weeks. You travel interstate less, there is no doubt you are advantaged in that aspect.

Topdog
27-10-2010, 09:53 AM

That and because we have about 30,000 less fans.

LostDoggy
27-10-2010, 01:27 PM

Go around in circles here. We don't have more fans cos we don't get the exposure Collingwood do.

Murphy'sLore
27-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Go around in circles here. We don't have more fans cos we don't get the exposure Collingwood do.

That's not the only reason they have more fans than we do, though.

LostDoggy
27-10-2010, 02:04 PM
So the home & away fixture is released this Friday? :)

hujsh
27-10-2010, 02:28 PM
That's not the only reason they have more fans than we do, though.

So If Collingwood and the Western Bulldogs swapped draws for 10 years you don't think there'd be major change in the gap between the fan numbers? As Chops said it just goes around in circles

Topdog
27-10-2010, 07:33 PM
Collingwood did nothing for nearly 50 years. If they didnt have so many fans the afl wouldnt give them such a "good" draw.

It is laughable to suggest that we would have a similar number of fans if we were on TV more often.

hujsh
27-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Collingwood did nothing for nearly 50 years. If they didnt have so many fans the afl wouldnt give them such a "good" draw.

It is laughable to suggest that we would have a similar number of fans if we were on TV more often.

They have have done nothing in terms of Premierships but they were always a strong club that made grand finals. I wasn't alive then but I'm still aware of that.

If we had 'Blockbuster' games scheduled every year that became symbolic with important days of the year and less Sunday games then it would be natural for our fanbase to grow wouldn't it?

How do you suggest a club gets fans if not from media exposure or success?

GVGjr
27-10-2010, 07:57 PM

If every 2nd game for us was on a Friday and Saturday night spotlight over a few seasons then we would only get a modest membership increase. We just have to hope that our supporters can dig deep for a couple of seasons and keep maintaining their memberships.
We can't compare ourselves to the Pies in that area.

I guess if we could half the debt we could be more than OK with 35,000 members each year

Even after 3 years of top 4 finishes I'm still expecting the club to struggle to meet last seasons membership numbers.

The Adelaide Connection
28-10-2010, 12:08 AM
If every 2nd game for us was on a Friday and Saturday night spotlight over a few seasons then we would only get a modest membership increase. We just have to hope that our supporters can dig deep for a couple of seasons and keep maintaining their memberships.
We can't compare ourselves to the Pies in that area.

I guess if we could half the debt we could be more than OK with 35,000 members each year

Even after 3 years of top 4 finishes I'm still expecting the club to struggle to meet last seasons membership numbers.

I know what you are saying but this is a short-sighted approach and the real benefits of our results wont be felt for another 10-15 years. Good form means there may be a small swing in current members that may sign up, but attracting new members is where the exposure on TV and results are critical.

Kids are very impressionable and if they haven't got a team they will usually jump on board or even change to a team that is carving up or one that they see lots of. Being a Blackburn follower (and about 10 of my mates being Leeds United :D) will forever remind me of this phenomenom.

There was a huge swing in Power support in the 15 local schools I was teaching at in the 3-4 years that they were at the peak of the ladder (which I would estimate went from 80:20 crows to 60:40). The same can be said about Geelong at the moment (which would be third in popularity at the moment in my school behind the two locals).

Saying that exposure will not make much of a difference is like saying McDonalds commercials don't make kids want happy meals. Whilst we are obviously focused on resigning our 35,000 existing members, the club will ultimately want to grow the brand as much as possible and that is where we face a disadvantage.

chef
28-10-2010, 06:44 AM

Members, I shudder to think how many more fans they have than us.

Desipura
28-10-2010, 11:31 AM
A large proportion of our members are from the West who cannot afford to fork out money for a membership.
Collingwood has members all around the state as well as country.

Remi Moses
28-10-2010, 02:02 PM

That's absolute B/S mate!!:rolleyes:

Sockeye Salmon
28-10-2010, 02:15 PM
That's absolute B/S mate!!:rolleyes:

He didn't say we would have as many as them, he said we would have more than we do.

There is absolutely no question that if we had Collingwood's exposure we would have significantly more members/fans.

LostDoggy
28-10-2010, 02:22 PM
A large proportion of our members are from the West who cannot afford to fork out money for a membership.
Collingwood has members all around the state as well as country.

Hi Desi -- I think this is becoming less true all the time. I'm sure most of us are aware that the western melbourne corridor is BY FAR the fastest growing area in Australia, outstripping any growth up in the Gold Coast (that the AFL are trying to cash in on) by quite a long way.

Collingwood's brand is a national one, and has been for a while, which allows them to leverage it, and Eddie has done that well, but even then the brand itself was in pretty backward shape when he came in. I still think that it is still largely a 'traditional' or 'historical' brand, although their damn win last year would have done a lot to help along the 'modernisation' of the brand that Eddie has been working on for near a decade now.

Historical brands are all well and good, and we shouldn't mortgage our tradition any more than we absolutely have to, but we really need to get any chip off our shoulder about being only a 'working class' club. Collingwood was a working class club too, and embraces that heritage, but also links itself with premium brands like Lexus and the like, and has a massive corporate following.

Despite the great work of our board, it sometimes seems that there are a lot of us that don't want to embrace the new identity of Melbourne's west and let ourselves become a premium brand associated with high-value ventures and individuals in the area, INCLUDING the new rich, the skilled immigrant etc., and as a result, these new people don't embrace the Dogs. The blocked Bulldogs Hilton venture doesn't help, but I don't think there has been enough groundwork done with the community to convince them that the Bulldogs brand stands for something new and sexy and high-value while staying true to our proud heritage. We have sometimes let the new be hijacked by our love for the old, and this is fine, but then we can't complain that we don't grow -- we HAVE to get into the 'repackaged' areas like Edgewater etc.

With our new headquarters, iconic brand, professionalism and on-field success there is no reason we shouldn't be able to grow our club over the next 20 years into a behemoth -- stories like this happen to clubs around the world all the time, if we don't translate our geographic monopoly into some sort of off-field momentum and become one of the powerbrokers of the league we would have missed a massive opportunity. (And we have to work towards not having to compare ourselves with the Melbournes and North Melbournes of the world, clubs that have no real growth prospects and have to focus on survival.)

And good broadcasting arrangements will help. The AFL can bleat all it wants about Collingwoods' pulling power, it has to ask itself if it wants to be short-sighted and just bankroll the growth of one club for short term TV rights gains at the expense of every other club, or help build a range of strong brands for the long term. Well, we know what the 'visionaries' at AFL house's track record with long-term thinking is, if their reactionary rule changing is anything to go by.

Bumper Bulldogs
31-10-2010, 07:03 AM
Saying that exposure will not make much of a difference is like saying McDonalds commercials don't make kids want happy meals. Whilst we are obviously focused on resigning our 35,000 existing members, the club will ultimately want to grow the brand as much as possible and that is where we face a disadvantage.

It is also comes down to how you market yourself, If the AFL is not giving you a leg up you need to generate things yourself. What is happening to our guys down at Bulldog land.

Things we can control is allowing Aker to do handstands - Every kid wanted to be like Aker and it was the last thing that was shown on every TV news production.

We could also target a Nick Natanui or a Liam Jarrah type that your kids get so pumped about.

In addition to this we could stand our ground on a few issues and drag the outcome out just to get news paper and TV share. A little like Collingwood's Jumper saga. this would need to be measured as we still need AFL support.

LostDoggy
31-10-2010, 10:02 AM
Hi Desi -- I think this is becoming less true all the time. I'm sure most of us are aware that the western melbourne corridor is BY FAR the fastest growing area in Australia, outstripping any growth up in the Gold Coast (that the AFL are trying to cash in on) by quite a long way.

Collingwood's brand is a national one, and has been for a while, which allows them to leverage it, and Eddie has done that well, but even then the brand itself was in pretty backward shape when he came in. I still think that it is still largely a 'traditional' or 'historical' brand, although their damn win last year would have done a lot to help along the 'modernisation' of the brand that Eddie has been working on for near a decade now.

Historical brands are all well and good, and we shouldn't mortgage our tradition any more than we absolutely have to, but we really need to get any chip off our shoulder about being only a 'working class' club. Collingwood was a working class club too, and embraces that heritage, but also links itself with premium brands like Lexus and the like, and has a massive corporate following.

Despite the great work of our board, it sometimes seems that there are a lot of us that don't want to embrace the new identity of Melbourne's west and let ourselves become a premium brand associated with high-value ventures and individuals in the area, INCLUDING the new rich, the skilled immigrant etc., and as a result, these new people don't embrace the Dogs. The blocked Bulldogs Hilton venture doesn't help, but I don't think there has been enough groundwork done with the community to convince them that the Bulldogs brand stands for something new and sexy and high-value while staying true to our proud heritage. We have sometimes let the new be hijacked by our love for the old, and this is fine, but then we can't complain that we don't grow -- we HAVE to get into the 'repackaged' areas like Edgewater etc.

With our new headquarters, iconic brand, professionalism and on-field success there is no reason we shouldn't be able to grow our club over the next 20 years into a behemoth -- stories like this happen to clubs around the world all the time, if we don't translate our geographic monopoly into some sort of off-field momentum and become one of the powerbrokers of the league we would have missed a massive opportunity. (And we have to work towards not having to compare ourselves with the Melbournes and North Melbournes of the world, clubs that have no real growth prospects and have to focus on survival.)

And good broadcasting arrangements will help. The AFL can bleat all it wants about Collingwoods' pulling power, it has to ask itself if it wants to be short-sighted and just bankroll the growth of one club for short term TV rights gains at the expense of every other club, or help build a range of strong brands for the long term. Well, we know what the 'visionaries' at AFL house's track record with long-term thinking is, if their reactionary rule changing is anything to go by.

Some excelllent observations amongst this, Lantern.

The move into Edgewater is a very calculated one by the club. "There's gold in them there hills!'' to borrow a line. Many people forget Edgewater was originally conceived as a walled community. Serious money as a neighbour never goes astray.

As much as it has caused much debate amongst the faithful, the fact cannot be denied that the Robodog logo is a marketing success. As pointed out in the 'Embracing The Past' thread by BornaScragger, immediate brand recognition.

I too believe that the current Board has done a marvellous job in addressing the historical debt. I also applaud the club as a whole for the many charitable and socially responsible contributions made willingly and enthusiastically. Go susie! The relationship with Vic Uni is one that gives the club unprecedented exposure to one of the largest campus's in the country.This will have it's positive returns but over a much longer timeframe.

For many years, there has been limited free-to-air broadcasting of Bulldog games. Factors for this are many and varied. From EddieFL to Demitriou's Drongoes, it is a hard, cold world of big business. Pay TV is not prolific either of lower income. But some do have make the call Bulldog membership to 11/17 games plus food/drink etc. or 365 days of multichannel entertainment with every Bulldog game from the comfort of your lounge with all the the food an drink you like 4 paces away in the kitchen. No brainer for some who I know.

Onfield success is one strategy but that has to include grand final appearances. Something not acheived in my lifetime thusfar.

Having marquee players also helps. As TheAdelaideConnection said, a Nic Nat or Liam Jarrah. I personally wanted us to draft Majak Daw this time last year. With the Horn of Africa now the largest growth community in the Maribyrnong/Brimbank municipalities, I still say opportunity lost.

As to the fixture this year, I do think that it has been rather kind. A couple of short recoveries after interstaters and a hell of a lot of twilighters but, all in all, the rest is fine.

Remi Moses
31-10-2010, 10:36 AM
He didn't say we would have as many as them, he said we would have more than we do.

There is absolutely no question that if we had Collingwood's exposure we would have significantly more members/fans.

We never will get the exposure they do so it's a mute point!
It's ironic that some here are saying after 3 top 4 finishes we'll have less members next season. Like it or not Bigger sporting franchises get more exposure,it's just a fact.

LostDoggy
31-10-2010, 12:33 PM
We never will get the exposure they do so it's a mute point!
It's ironic that some here are saying after 3 top 4 finishes we'll have less members next season. Like it or not Bigger sporting franchises get more exposure,it's just a fact.
Well if exposure is games on FTA, blockbusters games, games on Friday/Saturday night ,etc then why not? Its suppose to be a fair and equal competition rather than the AFL first priority being to maximize their revenue.
We know we are compensated to some degree but I doubt that covers all the losses.

GVGjr
31-10-2010, 12:44 PM
We know we are compensated to some degree but I doubt that covers all the losses.

Its a very fair arrangement in my opinion and one that we desperately needed.
Currently if I had to choose between keeping the current equalization payments or getting a better FTA coverage (and the benefits that it brings) and backing our supporters and sponsors to cover the shortfall I would certainly keep the current arrangement.

Its not to say we cant get there but even if there as a gradual phasing out period of the current deal I don't think we could cover it.

LostDoggy
31-10-2010, 02:38 PM
Currently if I had to choose between keeping the current equalization payments or getting a better FTA coverage (and the benefits that it brings) and backing our supporters and sponsors to cover the shortfall I would certainly keep the current arrangement.

Its not to say we cant get there but even if there as a gradual phasing out period of the current deal I don't think we could cover it.

Not sure I think its fair and doubt I would take compensation over a better draw.
Does $1.7M? cover the losses incurred now and the loss of future earning (new members/supporters) whilst building our competition stronger?

Quoting SS from BF here

While I accept that what you say is probably right, I'll argue one point. We do not go 'cap in hand' to the AFL. We do not get the $1.7mil a year thanks to their generosity.

We get $1.7 mil a year as compensation.

Compensation for being screwed by being forced to play out of Telstra Dome.
Compensation for being screwed with fixturing.
Compensation for being screwed by the TV stations.

I'll give back the $1.7mil when we have the option to play our home games at either Telstra Dome or the MCG, whichever gives us the best deal.

When we no longer have to play a home game on Mother's Day. When 'bonus days' like Anzac Day and Queen's Birthday are split between all teams.

When Friday nights are evenly split over the entire competition rather than who the television stations think will deliver the best ratings.

In other words, when hell freezes over.

PS. A couple of years ago, Richmond commissioned Ernst & Young to put a dollar value on the benefits of these type of thing. They found Western Bulldogs were disadvantaged by up to $3.8 mil a year (compared to the AFL average) by things out of the clubs control.

Gee, we're nice blokes. Copping it up the arse so the AFL can get richer.

Sockeye Salmon
01-11-2010, 09:38 AM

A few years back Richmond commissioned Ernst & Young to put a financial value on variations between the clubs of things outside the clubs control - fixture, TV and ground deals/signage etc.

Us and North were $3.2 mil and $3.9 mil below the AFL average (can't remember which way around, I think we were the $3.2).

Carlton (who were crap then) were exactlt neutral and West Coast were about $8 mil to the good.

LostDoggy
01-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Exactly -- compound that over ten, twenty years, and tell me that it doesn't make a difference.

GVGjr
01-11-2010, 11:01 AM
A few years back Richmond commissioned Ernst & Young to put a financial value on variations between the clubs of things outside the clubs control - fixture, TV and ground deals/signage etc.

Us and North were $3.2 mil and $3.9 mil below the AFL average (can't remember which way around, I think we were the $3.2).

Carlton (who were crap then) were exactlt neutral and West Coast were about $8 mil to the good.

If its such a bad deal then why have we accepted it? My guess is the transition wouldn't measure up.

Sockeye Salmon
01-11-2010, 11:44 AM
If its such a bad deal then why have we accepted it? My guess is the transition wouldn't measure up.

It's not like we have the choice. "Would you like the compensation deal or would you just rather Collingwood's draw?"