PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Hooper in line for cut-throat final

SlimPickens
08-09-2010, 11:28 PM
THE Western Bulldogs were last night wrestling with a huge call to name the league's first finals debutant in 25 years.

Andrew Hooper's name has been hotly debated all week and he is on the brink of squeezing into the starting line-up for Saturday night's semi-final against Sydney.

Link Below:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/andrew-hooper-in-line-for-cut-throat-final/story-e6frf9jf-1225916112494

SlimPickens
08-09-2010, 11:30 PM
Think this kid should get a game. Now with Higgins out for the rest of the season, could be the bolter for the finals!

The Adelaide Connection
08-09-2010, 11:36 PM
I say play him. We need someone with speed to add some pressure in our forward 50 and to attack the ball on the deck when it spills at Halls feet.

bornadog
08-09-2010, 11:36 PM
Mark Stevens From: Herald Sun September 08, 2010 (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/andrew-hooper-in-line-for-cut-throat-final/story-e6frf9jf-1225916112494)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/109186-andrew-hooper.jpg

THE Western Bulldogs were last night wrestling with a huge call to name the league's first finals debutant in 25 years.
Andrew Hooper's name has been hotly debated all week and he is on the brink of squeezing into the starting line-up for Saturday night's semi-final against Sydney.

The Bulldogs match committee meets today to finalise its 22, with the club's smallest player at least a 50-50 chance to play. It would be a stunning elevation given the last player plucked from obscurity for a finals debut was North Melbourne's Paul Spargo in 1985.

Hooper, a stocky 172cm and 79kg, has been banging down the door to be selected.

Dogs legend Chris Grant said last night the 19-year-old had the mental steel to have an immediate impact.

"He will give you real effort. Unquestionable effort and attack on the footy," Grant said.

"He runs in straight lines, like a Ben McGlynn. He doesn't waiver. It's all or nothing."

The Herald Sun revealed Hooper was on the brink of senior selection a fortnight ago, leading into the Round 22 Essendon game.

He narrowly missed being picked, meaning the Dogs did not get a chance to test him at AFL intensity.

Spargo's debut was a first semi-final against the Bulldogs at the MCG - 25 years ago to the day on Saturday.

Simon Beasley brought up a century of goals in the same match and Doug Hawkins was best-on-ground.

The most famous finals first-gamers are Hawthorn's Dermott Brereton (first semi-final, 1982) and Collingwood's Len Thompson (preliminary final, 1965).

Hooper was promoted from the rookie list mid-season and is a quick forward capable of chase-down tackles - a major weakness in the Bulldogs' make-up.

North Ballarat Rebels region manager Phil Partington, who watched has Hooper progress for several years, has no doubts about him.

"He loves the big occasion," Partington said. "He stepped up at the draft camp and the national under-18 championships - he just thrives.

"He has always been able to make the step to the next level through the age groups. We are talking about a confident lad who believes in himself. He will never die wondering. He's like a dog with the bone.

"I'd be a very happy man if he got a game. It's been his dream since he was 10 or 12."

Hooper finished third in the 20m sprint at last year's draft camp, but was ignored until pick No. 35 in the rookie draft.

He has emerged as a cult-figure with Williamstown, playing a key role in taking the team to the top of the VFL ladder.

The Pie Man
08-09-2010, 11:41 PM
Be bold Doggies!

AndrewP6
08-09-2010, 11:41 PM
Same as bornadog's thread...merge?

SlimPickens
08-09-2010, 11:47 PM
Same as bornadog's thread...merge?

Saw that, just adding to my view that he should get ago this week! Have seen him at Willy and really think he could fill the void of our lack of a small crumbing opportunistic forward.

Greystache
08-09-2010, 11:53 PM
Saw that, just adding to my view that he should get ago this week! Have seen him at Willy and really think he could fill the void of our lack of a small crumbing opportunistic forward.

I agree he's worth a go, I'm not convinced having watched him play that he's really a crumbing small forward, more an opportunist poaching type forward, but he certainly brings intensity and will apply defensive pressure and the preparedness to work both ways. I also don't think he'll be overawed by the occasion, he seems like a guy who desperately wants to make the most of his chances.

SlimPickens
08-09-2010, 11:58 PM
I agree he's worth a go, I'm not convinced having watched him play that he's really a crumbing small forward, more an opportunist poaching type forward, but he certainly brings intensity and will apply defensive pressure and the preparedness to work both ways. I also don't think he'll be overawed by the occasion, he seems like a guy who desperately wants to make the most of his chances.

This is a big one for me...i agree. Looks like he has a level head on his shoulders and will give it a red hot crack.

Greystache
09-09-2010, 12:06 AM
This is a big one for me...i agree. Looks like he has a level head on his shoulders and will give it a red hot crack.

It probably shows the MC made a mistake not giving him a go during the H&A season when his form was hot. Not that he'd be the first player to debut in a final and it'll be a chance to see what he's made of.

Doc26
09-09-2010, 12:15 AM
It probably shows the MC made a mistake not giving him a go during the H&A season when his form was hot. Not that he'd be the first player to debut in a final and it'll be a chance to see what he's made of.

Rodney agrees with you.

Snippet taken from one of today's articles.

He (Eade) rated youngster Andrew Hooper an outside chance to make his debut against the Swans, acknowledging the Bulldogs had erred in not giving him a couple of home-and-away games.

Greystache
09-09-2010, 12:20 AM
Rodney agrees with you.

Snippet taken from one of today's articles.

Cheers Doc, I always thought Rodney was a smart man! :D

1eyedog
09-09-2010, 01:03 AM
Cheers Doc, I always thought Rodney was a smart man! :D

And you obviously saw the article.

I think he should have played against Essendon, I saw him twice live at Willi this year and he didn't crumb the ball off packs as such but he certainly put himself in a good position with which to do so. He is also very very chatty out on the field and doesn't lack any confidence. He's still in the very early stages of his apprenticeship and at best he will provide a tenacious X factor in our forward line, who will at least be able to get to contests and apply pressure on the opposition coming out of D50, why wouldn't we pick him?

The only issue with the MC will be that if they pick him they will be hesitant to bring in Moles as well and I think Moles should come in. Roughie, Wood, Moles and Hooper may be one too many changes for the MC.

immortalmike
09-09-2010, 02:04 AM
I'm not so sure about this decision as I thought Grant was our second worst player (after Minson) last weekend. And I put that down to the occasion more than anything else. Does anyone really think Hooper will be any better?

becmatty
09-09-2010, 05:18 AM

Oh really? So I guess things must have changed dramatically in your head since you slated this idea when I called for his selection in round 22?

I said that he was electryingly fast, a great mark for his size and would be a worthy gamble ahead of the finals to give our forward line some bite.

I guess when you were saying that you 'tottally disagree' , that I have 'no idea' and asked 'Is this the same Hooper at Williamstown that I've been wathcing?' perhaps you were just talking about the Home and Away season.

Now that it is a popular opinion, why not hitch a ride on the bandwagon?

Ghost Dog
09-09-2010, 08:42 AM
He has a Tatt on the inside of his arm! Alarm bells! haha

Come on MC. Do something to keep us interested. Would love to see him take the paddock.

Desipura
09-09-2010, 09:17 AM
Oh really? So I guess things must have changed dramatically in your head since you slated this idea when I called for his selection in round 22?

I said that he was electryingly fast, a great mark for his size and would be a worthy gamble ahead of the finals to give our forward line some bite.

I guess when you were saying that you 'tottally disagree' , that I have 'no idea' and asked 'Is this the same Hooper at Williamstown that I've been wathcing?' perhaps you were just talking about the Home and Away season.

If you suggest 100 things, occasionally you're bound to get one ;)

ratsmac
09-09-2010, 09:30 AM
What have we got to lose? Apart from the game. Everyone else in the team has played crap so I can't see Hooper doing any worse. I think I would rather Hill but there is a good chance he will serve up the crap that got him dropped in the first place. Hill or Hooper, I could live with either one of these decisions.

Greystache
09-09-2010, 10:01 AM
And you obviously saw the article.

No I didn't, there's no mention in the link. It's just pretty obvious.

Irrelevant poster ignored.

ledge
09-09-2010, 10:02 AM
I am a believer in if you dont try it you will never know,.
The way we are going at the moment, I say go for it at least you were shown to try something.
Those days when our side cops a thumping I tend to look and see if the coach tried things or just sat and watched.
If he tries different things I am at least happy he did different things , if he didnt I become very angry and think what did that achieve?

Mantis
09-09-2010, 10:14 AM
I am not too keen on this move.

I would much prefer Jones be in line for a recall than an untried Hooper. We need to have forwards in our team who can win their own ball against decent opposition and it's totally unknown if Hooper can do this and a cut-throat final is no time to experiment in this way.

At least in Jones we know that he will chase and place pressure on the opposition and has shown the ability to look dangerous at times.

aker39
09-09-2010, 10:20 AM
I am not too keen on this move.

I would much prefer Jones be in line for a recall than an untried Hooper. We need to have forwards in our team who can win their own ball against decent opposition and it's totally unknown if Hooper can do this and a cut-throat final is no time to experiment in this way.

At least in Jones we know that he will chase and place pressure on the opposition and has shown the ability to look dangerous at times.

If it Jones v Hooper, than I'd go with Jones.

But if it's Eagleton v Hooper or Hahn v Hooper, than I'd prefer to go with the unknown rather than the known.

LostDoggy
09-09-2010, 10:22 AM
Id love to see this kid be given a game, straight into the finals, show us what you've got. Like b.a.d said, I think he'd have more to offer than a Hahn or Eagleton right now.

For the Willy watchers, what kind of player out there is he similar to?

His body seems like a Jarrod Moore-type? Does he have similar attributes?

Desipura
09-09-2010, 10:24 AM
Id love to see this kid be given a game, straight into the finals, show us what you've got. Like b.a.d said, Id like him in there over a Hahn or Eagleton right now.

For the Willy watchers, what kind of player out there is he similar to?

His body seems like a Jarrod Moore-type? Does he have similar attributes?
Built like Jarred Moore plays like Ben McGlynn

Mofra
09-09-2010, 10:27 AM
He is also very very chatty out on the field and doesn't lack any confidence.
Good.
I'm sick to bloody death of the club being 20+ "nice guys" every week. I want pricks like Picken & Shaggy to have someone to share stories with. Huddo can sledge too, whilst Tim Callan spent a fair bit of time at a Willy 1/4 time huddle bragging how he had smashed some bloke than rubbed his face in the mud whilst on top of him.
I think we lack mongrel & swagger.

Mantis
09-09-2010, 10:31 AM
Good.
I'm sick to bloody death of the club being 20+ "nice guys" every week. I want pricks like Picken & Shaggy to have someone to share stories with. Huddo can sledge too, whilst Tim Callan spent a fair bit of time at a Willy 1/4 time huddle bragging how he had smashed some bloke than rubbed his face in the mud whilst on top of him.

What is this assumption based on?

Mantis
09-09-2010, 10:34 AM
If it Jones v Hooper, than I'd go with Jones.

But if it's Eagleton v Hooper or Hahn v Hooper, than I'd prefer to go with the unknown rather than the known.

At present the only one we are hearing as an out is Higgins. We seriously lacked size up forward last week so when he goes out Jones should come in.

Agree that if we make more changes to our forward structure then Hooper should come into calculations.

LostDoggy
09-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Good.

I agree. What really peed me off last week was watching Collingwood bad mouth our blokes at every opportunity to no response.

I don't care if it means we have a few blokes who piss on Police Stations but get some mongrel out there.

Fly the flag FFS.

LostDoggy
09-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Good.

I love Huddo on a mark, his distraction is yelling loud in their faces. Would scare me if I was the player with the ball :D

Ozza
09-09-2010, 11:56 AM
Definitely agree with Jones in for Higgins.
I'd be happy enough for Hooper to play (note: I've never seen him play before) as long as it was in place of Eagleton or Hahn - but I definitely think Jones takes priority over Hooper.

Wood should replace Hahn.
If Ward is no good - then Moles is the replacement.

LostDoggy
09-09-2010, 01:20 PM
Hooper in or out shouldn't be the reason we win or lose. There are far deeper reasons than a small forward for the way we are playing. It has to do with being able to win contested footy, being able to get our number of tackles up across the whole team, and getting across to helping mates in the middle of the ground so that we can get the ball into the forward line with efficiency. One question is whether Boyd, Griffen, Johnson, Cross et al can actually dispose of the ball at speed with accuracy. Murphy and Gilbee also loom as extremely important in whether they can skilfully initiate long, quick passages of play off half back. Gotta start winning centre bounces and stoppages to the extent that we actually score heavily from the ones we do win.

Yes, play Hooper in the forward line but I'm just not sure if should do this and play Johnno in the goal square.

Mofra
09-09-2010, 02:07 PM
What is this assumption based on?
Watching him play, a desire to hurt the opposition, breaking Riewoldt a few years ago at the MCG, being the guy players didn't want to box against during training sessions, and the story of him pulling metal staples out of his belly with pliers on holiday.

You don't think he's one of the on-field "niceguys", surely?

Mantis
09-09-2010, 02:59 PM
Watching him play, a desire to hurt the opposition, breaking Riewoldt a few years ago at the MCG, being the guy players didn't want to box against during training sessions, and the story of him pulling metal staples out of his belly with pliers on holiday.

You don't think he's one of the on-field "niceguys", surely?

I don't see him as a 'nice-guy', conversely I don't see him as a hard-arse.

He is somewhere in the middle.

aker39
09-09-2010, 03:01 PM
A guy just rang SEN and said that he has it on very good authority that Hooper WILL be playing.

Take it for what it's worth.

G-Mo77
09-09-2010, 03:06 PM
A guy just rang SEN and said that he has it on very good authority that Hooper WILL be playing.

I'll wait for the official teams. :)

Nuggety Back Pocket
09-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Hooper in or out shouldn't be the reason we win or lose. There are far deeper reasons than a small forward for the way we are playing. It has to do with being able to win contested footy, being able to get our number of tackles up across the whole team, and getting across to helping mates in the middle of the ground so that we can get the ball into the forward line with efficiency. One question is whether Boyd, Griffen, Johnson, Cross et al can actually dispose of the ball at speed with accuracy. Murphy and Gilbee also loom as extremely important in whether they can skilfully initiate long, quick passages of play off half back. Gotta start winning centre bounces and stoppages to the extent that we actually score heavily from the ones we do win.

Yes, play Hooper in the forward line, but I'm just not sure if we should do this and play Johnno in the goal square (which is where I want him to be, if we are going to play him).

I like your idea of playing Johnno out of the goal square a move supported by one of our former greats and a club selector of some note. This would allow Hall to play at centre half forward similar to his role at the Sydney Swans. There isn't any good reason why both Jones and Hooper couldn't be selected. I would also bite the bullet by choosing Murphy at half forward with Grant on the other flank with both Harbrow and hopefully a fit Wood returning to defence. Finally one other team selection and that is bring Everitt in for Minson as a second string ruckman to Hudson.
We definitely need more mobility around the ground.This is a very winnable final but it requires determination, courage and a bit of the old Sutton, Whitten never say die spirit.

Mantis
09-09-2010, 03:43 PM
I like your idea of playing Johnno out of the goal square a move supported by one of our former greats and a club selector of some note. This would allow Hall to play at centre half forward similar to his role at the Sydney Swans. There isn't any good reason why both Jones and Hooper couldn't be selected. I would also bite the bullet by choosing Murphy at half forward with Grant on the other flank with both Harbrow and hopefully a fit Wood returning to defence. Finally one other team selection and that is bring Everitt in for Minson as a second string ruckman to Hudson.

I can't see that happening because as we saw in rd 21 Harbrow is really struggling in a defensive role.

He must play up the ground.

Mofra
09-09-2010, 04:26 PM
I can't see that happening because as we saw in rd 21 Harbrow is really struggling in a defensive role.
With Cooney out I prefer his run through the middle anyway - we can cover him in defence with Murphy playing back & Wood returning.

Mantis
09-09-2010, 04:37 PM

He might well be onto something.

angelopetraglia
09-09-2010, 05:50 PM
StevoHeraldSun:
Hoopla: Dogs will play Andrew Hooper ... First finals debut in 25 years

From Twitter - he will definitely play.

bornadog
09-09-2010, 06:07 PM
Now Confirmed in team Selections

AndrewP6
09-09-2010, 10:05 PM
I don't see him as a 'nice-guy', conversely I don't see him as a hard-arse.

He is somewhere in the middle.

Me too, doesn't really strike me as a hard nut...

Mofra
10-09-2010, 10:11 AM
Me too, doesn't really strike me as a hard nut...
I'll disagree - I have been in the crowd against North & the Saints where opposition fans were howling against him as a dirty player.

If he's in the middle, I'd be interested to know who people think the ~20 blokes on our list are that have more on-field bastardry than Hargrave are.

jazzadogs
10-09-2010, 05:23 PM
I'll disagree - I have been in the crowd against North & the Saints where opposition fans were howling against him as a dirty player.

If he's in the middle, I'd be interested to know who people think the ~20 blokes on our list are that have more on-field bastardry than Hargrave are.
Not in the middle on our list, coz we don't have hardnuts.

In the AFL, maybe closer to the middle. I think he'd be good to have on your side in a real fight (Hello Heath Black), but he's not exactly someone I would label as overly hard at the ball, or likely to hurt someone on the field.

LostDoggy
10-09-2010, 11:31 PM
I Thought I started a Thread a few weeks back. "Why haven't these guys got a Jumper"

Markovic, Hooper, & Rose.

Sometimes I wonder about "Our" club?
Take guys on yet play the same ole tired crap.

Give the rookies a go, we took em on so try em out, just like every other club.

Eade wants another Lake ___ Markovic

We are missing Scotty West_________ try Hooper

Who to take over Johnno's role_________ Patrick "Petal" Rose.

Some say Markovic is too slow. Doh Lake aint fast just reads the play so well and gets to position, reminds me of Markovic.

Hoops --- congrats finally recognised

Rose_______ reminds me of Johnno, Runs all day, Hunts, terrorises, nd kicks goals.

Now for all those wankers who have never been to a Willy Game. Don't be too cruel on me or them

And get your facts right first.

The Coon Dog
11-09-2010, 08:04 AM
LMS, Pat Rose CANNOT play for the Western Bulldogs right now. He's a rookie & there is just no spot for him on the main list. Hooper, a different kettle of fish, he's was recently elevated. You posted the same request for Rose recently & it was pointed out then that he cannot play due to his rookie status.