PDA

View Full Version : Game Day - SF1 Western Bulldogs vs Sydney

BulldogBelle
10-09-2010, 04:35 PM
This is the discussion thread for this Saturday night's SF1 game at the MCG against Sydney.

My predictions are:

The Dogs by 31 points
BOG : Matthew Boyd
Barry Hall to kick the first goal

LostDoggy
10-09-2010, 05:11 PM
Dogs by 42
BOG: Daniel Cross
Hoops first goal (first kick in AFL)

LostDoggy
10-09-2010, 05:16 PM
Dogs by 16 points
BOG: Andrew Hooper
1st goal: Andrew Hooper

bornadog
10-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Dogs by 16 points
BOG: Andrew Hooper
1st goal: Andrew Hooper

Love it:)

bornadog
10-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Dogs by 1 point (kicked after the siren by Johnno)

BOG - Griffen

First Goal and last goal Johnno

chef
10-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Doggies by 37.
Griffen BOG
Hahn First Goal.

LostDoggy
10-09-2010, 07:56 PM
Dogs = By anything that works

BOG - Murphy and his furphy's

First Goal - Hoops, there he is!

Flamethrower
10-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Doggies by 19 points

Best on ground: Ben Hudson

First goal: Jarrad Grant

Greystache
10-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Dogs by 3 points
BOG- Griffen
First goal- Hall

Bumper Bulldogs
10-09-2010, 08:48 PM
Dogs by 11 points
BOG Hall
First Goal Hall

EasternWest
10-09-2010, 08:56 PM
Dogs by 3 points
BOG- Griffin
First goal- Hall

Sigh.....

LostDoggy
10-09-2010, 09:08 PM
Dogs by 17pts
Gia First goal
Bazza BOG

AndrewP6
10-09-2010, 11:18 PM
Sigh.....

How about Dogs by 11, first goal Gian, BOG Brad Boyd.;)

boydogs
11-09-2010, 12:32 AM
Dogs by 5 points in overtime
First Goal Hall
BOG Hall

LostDoggy
11-09-2010, 12:39 AM
First Goal - Hoops, there he is!

That's got to catch on.
Get 1000 people chanting that when he kicks a goal.

Greystache
11-09-2010, 01:10 AM
Sigh.....

Sorry mate-iPhone!

Dry Rot
11-09-2010, 01:46 AM
Stick a fork in us, IMO, we're done in 2010.

Swans by 31
Goodes BOG
First goal Dennis-Lane

EasternWest
11-09-2010, 02:19 AM
Sorry mate-iPhone!

Actually, I think you and I have danced this dance before.... In that case, I apologise too!

immortalmike
11-09-2010, 07:12 AM
That's got to catch on.

That would be the 'whitest' moment in the history of sport.

LostDoggy
11-09-2010, 08:20 AM
That's got to catch on.

I'd prefer to get 10.000 people but I'll start with everyone in my bay and let it go viral after that!! ;):D:cool:

LostDoggy
11-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Take the fork out and throw it away.

Dogs by : 27
Hahn first goal $21.00
B.O.G. Hall
Most disposals. Cross $4.50
Most Goals. Hall $3.00

Odds under 39. $2.65 over 40. $7.00 Great value

NoName
11-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Dogs by 40
First Goal - Grant
BOG - Griff

comrade
11-09-2010, 12:10 PM
If Griff is BOG again, he should be made mayor of Footscray. The bloke is playing on one leg!

I'm not confident but I hope the boys get up for Johnno.

Dogs by 11
BOG: Murphy
FG: Gia

Daughter of the West
11-09-2010, 12:23 PM
Dogs by 7
BOG: Griff
FG: BBBBBBAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY with seven for the game

SlimPickens
11-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Dogs 2 goals
BOG: Griffen
FG: Mc Veigh

LostDoggy
11-09-2010, 01:45 PM
Dogs by I dont know, and Dont care how much by
BOG Griff
First Goal Hoooooooper :)

LostDoggy
11-09-2010, 02:09 PM
Dogs by 30
BOG Wood
First goal Bazza of course.

LostDoggy
11-09-2010, 02:31 PM
Dogs by 1 or more
First Goal - Dont Care
BOG - I hope its too hard to tell because every bastard out there stood the hell up

Come on dogs this is not our last game of the season.

The Underdog
11-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Prediction: I've got a terrible feeling about this. Them by a couple of goals.
B.O.G: Boyd
First goal: Gia

The Underdog
11-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Stick a fork in us, IMO, we're done in 2010.

Swans by 31
Goodes BOG
First goal Dennis-Lane

Will it make the papers in Sydney tomorrow?

Agree with you about Goodes. I don't think we've got anything close to a match-up for him in the 22.

LostDoggy
11-09-2010, 03:50 PM
Dogs by 27 points and first goal to Gia.

KT31
11-09-2010, 04:11 PM
Dogs by 32
BOG - Boyd
1st Goal - Johnno

Scorlibo
11-09-2010, 04:12 PM
Will it make the papers in Sydney tomorrow?

Agree with you about Goodes. I don't think we've got anything close to a match-up for him in the 22.

Wood? Has the athletic capabilities and is pretty good one on one.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Dogs by 14 points.
B.O.G: Murphy
First goal: Grant

BulldogBelle
11-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Dogs by 42 points.
BOG : Lake
1st Goal : Johnno

c'mon boys

Dry Rot
11-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Any late changes? I have a funny feeling While will play.

BulldogBelle
11-09-2010, 07:17 PM
No late changes to either side on official team lists.

MrMahatma
11-09-2010, 07:54 PM
First goal Johno.
Dogs by 48
BOG: Hudson

Play of the day - Hooper dribbles one through from the pocket to complete a run of 5 goals in a row for the dogs in the 2nd quarter.

Chicago1
11-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Doggies by 8 points
First goal: Grant
BOG: Griffen

LostDoggy
11-09-2010, 08:09 PM
Williamstown went down and now for the quinella!!:eek: Jonno to break down half way through the 3rd qtr and we go down by 9pts

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-09-2010, 08:11 PM
Dogs by 13 points
BOG Griffen
1st goal Johnno

Dry Rot
11-09-2010, 08:12 PM
One of the few good things about being a Dogs fan in Sydney - finals against them are shown live FTA. :)

No White, so I hope my tipping in this thread is crap too.

GO DOGS!!!

LostDoggy
11-09-2010, 08:56 PM
Sydney seem to lay quiet until the dogs do the slightest thing wrong, then they retaliate.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Difficult watching this. We just don't even look a quarter of the side we used to be.

Hooper's goal was uplifting though, hopefully we can draw on that in the second half.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Difficult watching this. We just don't even look a quarter of the side we used to be.

Hooper's goal was uplifting though, hopefully we can draw on that in the second half.

Is it on delayed telecast down there? It's live on Foxtel up here in Qld. It's the end of the 3rd qtr now.

LostDoggy
11-09-2010, 10:18 PM
It's live here, too in Vic.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-09-2010, 10:56 PM
Well it wasn't pretty, but finally we won a big game when it was close.
Great spirit to fight back from 5 goals down, and then hold on when the Swans came hard at us late.

jasopan
11-09-2010, 10:57 PM
Murphy really stood up, what brilliant win, finally some real inspiration!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-09-2010, 11:00 PM
Murphy really stood up, what brilliant win, finally some real inspiration!

Murphy, Hudson, Boyd, Cross and Gia did too.
Gia was pivotal in a game where outside of Barry Hall we were not able to find viable targets was good. And also given he'd been given some stick from some for not standing up in a big game.

MrMahatma
11-09-2010, 11:04 PM
Boyd's attack to win the ball and free kick midway through that last quarter was just so symbolic of what we need each and every contest. It was fantastic.

Some good signs from the guys who played poorly last week. Very happy with that result. Showed some dash. Harbrow's best game since coming back from injury.

Who'd have thought - Harbrow off half back, Hahn up forward. Where they play their best, and we look better.

LostDoggy
11-09-2010, 11:06 PM
What an unbeleivable win after being 30 down. Murphy and Harbrowreally stood up when it was needed. Stillfeels like they are thinking too much rather than it being instinctive. With Mumford struggling, the bearded one stod tall.

Great job boys - you have made usbelieve again.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-09-2010, 11:11 PM
What an unbeleivable win after being 30 down. Murphy and Harbrowreally stood up when it was needed. Stillfeels like they are thinking too much rather than it being instinctive. With Mumford struggling, the bearded one stod tall.

Great job boys - you have made usbelieve again.

Welcome to Wood Passion Bulldog, as you said the decisions under pressure tonight are a concern & a repeat will have us under the pump next week big time.
We seem to have a number of players who just don't make the right decision often enough under pressure.
Still it was great to see them lift and will themselves into the contest, after it was looking very bleak midway through the second quarter.
I honestly thought we were about to get pumped after we got 5 goals behind.

MrMahatma
11-09-2010, 11:15 PM
Will Cross get off for that hit?

Will Morris play?

How sore are Williams & Lake?

Hopefully we can have a good recovery and things go our way and give us a red hot crack next week. Into a PF. One more win and we're in a GF.

LostDoggy
11-09-2010, 11:20 PM
Wheeeeeeeeeew! Stoked!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-09-2010, 11:23 PM

Will Morris play?

Hopefully we can have a good recovery and things go our way and give us a red hot crack next week. Into a PF. One more win and we're in a GF.

Who knows with the MRP on the Cross hit. We've been lucky in recent weeks with Picken & Hall. The one thing in his favour is that it looked as if Bolton was pushed from behind which may mitigate the high contact from Cross... I hope anyway.

Williams and Lake look under duress no doubt and unless they can improve their obvious injuries, then Riewoldt and even Kosi could absolutely nail us next week.

Morris coming back would be a massive boost to our defense, if he is fully fit.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-09-2010, 11:24 PM
Wheeeeeeeeeew! Stoked!

That's how I feel now. In that last 6 minutes though, I thought my heart was going to burst through my chest every time the Swans got the ball forward.

LostDoggy
11-09-2010, 11:29 PM
That's how I feel now. In that last 6 minutes though, I thought my heart was going to burst through my chest every time the Swans got the ball forward.

And every single free kick they got in those last five minutes ensured cries and thoughts of despair from all. Making everyone's nerves deteriorate even further, if possible. I swear every time Goodes touched the thing I was close to a minor heart attack! Pure relief on the siren.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-09-2010, 11:32 PM
And every single free kick they got in those last five minutes ensured cries and thoughts of despair from all. Making everyone's nerves deteriorate even further, if possible. I swear every time Goodes touched the thing I was close to a minor heart attack! Pure relief on the siren.

I hear you. I am not a religious person, but even I was questioning my no-beliefe in a creator when Addison was pinged for deliberate out of bounds. I thought surely this is a clear sign that there is a higher being, and he really has a peverse liking for breaking Bulldog supporters hearts in peculiar ways.

LostDoggy
11-09-2010, 11:33 PM
I honestly thought we were about to get pumped after we got 5 goals behind.
Me too.

Will Morris play?

Bolton was it? His path to Cross looked like it was altered just before the contact. So hopefully that will be in Daniels favor?

Throughandthrough
11-09-2010, 11:36 PM
I didn't realise Bradshaw was from Pakistan :)

Awesome win by the dogs. Had an asthma attack hooting and hollering after the siren!

Some amazing attack on the ball in the last quarter. That is Bulldogs footy.

Hotdog60
11-09-2010, 11:37 PM
Well that was a big relief, 2nd quarters seem to be our problem at the moment. The last few weeks have killed us and it nearly did tonight.

Lets hope everything falls into place from this game on. If we cough it up like to night the saints will punish us.

Scraggers
11-09-2010, 11:37 PM
To all you Nay sayers ... Get on board or get out of our way.

Great win !!

Rance Fan
11-09-2010, 11:40 PM
Cross will get off. The guygot bumped by his own player into it. Cross has a good record!
Dismal first half, spirited second half....do we have our mojo back.....I hope so, we will need it next week!

cambo
11-09-2010, 11:47 PM

Great win !!

Here Here

Chicago1
11-09-2010, 11:49 PM
I would have been flying to Melbourne in about 5 hours, but yesterday I postponed my trip until next year. Now I'll have to use all of my FF miles to fly out if we make the Grand Final. I'll be away all of next weekend so won't be able to watch and/or listen to the PF. Damn, the footy certainly can complicate one's life! :p

Throughandthrough
11-09-2010, 11:50 PM
NB definite choke from the Swans....

Dry Rot
11-09-2010, 11:55 PM

Great win !!

Yeah? Ross Lyon will sleep very soundly tonight IMO.

Swans were marginally the better team, costly misses cost them.

Throughandthrough
11-09-2010, 11:58 PM

And also the fact that their defenders all got the jelly shakes in the second half. Very un-sydney like performance for them to look scared and panic.

LostDoggy
11-09-2010, 11:59 PM
AMAZING win from our gutsy boys! I even got on tv too! Score! :D

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
12-09-2010, 12:00 AM

Your a real ray of sunshine DR.
We also missed a number of goals.
I know we have very little chance of success next week, but I was very pleased that they did not wilt when it all seemed to go pear shaped in the 2nd quarter.
It would've been immeasurably worse if we had've sent Johnno off with a straight sets loss in the final series.

At least now we give ourselves a chance. It might be a slim chance, and Saints will be almost unbackable. But for me, I'm glad the season didn't end tonight.

Dry Rot
12-09-2010, 12:01 AM
And also the fact that their defenders all got the jelly shakes in the second half. Very un-sydney like performance for them to look scared and panic.

They were missing Bolton and Lewis L-T. I rate Bolton as good as Morris and structure wise, Lewis l_T = Williams for us at least.

Scorlibo
12-09-2010, 12:01 AM
What a win, gutsy, gutsy, gutsy! I was so pumped when the siren rang. I just feel like it started to click for the side, those little taps, having an awareness of where each other are, guys like Harbrow and Hahn finding some really strong run. :)

Dry Rot
12-09-2010, 12:03 AM
Your a real ray of sunshine DR.
We also missed a number of goals.
I know we have very little chance of success next week, but I was very pleased that they did not wilt when it all seemed to go pear shaped in the 2nd quarter.
It would've been immeasurably worse if we had've sent Johnno off with a straight sets loss in the final series.

At least now we give ourselves a chance. It might be a slim chance, and Saints will be almost unbackable. But for me, I'm glad the season didn't end tonight.

Sorry, given our second quarter and the number of bad Swans misses, IMO the best team didn't win tonight (by a bee's dick).

In any event, do you think Ross Lyon will have a bad night's sleep tonight?

Scraggers
12-09-2010, 12:05 AM

My response is easy DR ... get out of our way !!

Dry Rot
12-09-2010, 12:08 AM
My response is easy DR ... get out of our way !!

OK, I'll ask you again - do you think the Saints would be really worried with what they saw tonight?

Scorlibo
12-09-2010, 12:12 AM

I disagree strongly, I thought we outplayed them, had more opportunities as a result and eventually found routes to goal. I see a lot of the Swans, and they really played as well as they could have, had their better players play quite well. In the end, the better team won and if I were Ross Lyon, I'd be scared sh*tless knowing that in a weeks time the Saints will have to play a team with a new-found sense of purpose, and a team with 22 contributors.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Sorry, given our second quarter and the number of bad Swans misses, IMO the best team didn't win tonight (by a bee's dick).

Apart from the first half of the second term, I'd say it was fairly even. I would give us the nod as the better team tonight insofar as we had some huge demons to overcome being 30 points down, and yet we manufactured it.
It really doesn't matter who is the better team though (we were probably the better team in last years Prelim- but it doesnt mean much), we were in front when the siren went. Given our past history of finding ways to lose thes sort of game, it was a big result and the guys showed alot of heart, more than Sydney when it counted.

As for Lyon sleeping well tonight, I hope he does, and I hope the Saints think they're already in the Grand Final.

Saints are no doubt in the box seat form wise, and our own patchy form doesn't help us.
For now though, I'm very happy we won tonight, and give ourselves our 3rd opportunity in as many years to vy for a place in the Grand Final.
On a side note, I'm also glad our younger guys will get another opportunity to feel the pressure of a finals game. That can only be a good thing going forward.

SonofScray
Thought Sydney had their chance and didn't take it so we punished them. It was an even contest for most of the night, with Sydney getting a break but we dragged ourselves back within striking distance and where they faltered we kept pushing.

A stirring win, one of few close games, and fightback efforts that we've done the business in. Massive result in terms of confidence, as a fan it really woke something in me that has been lacking all year. 2010 so far has been fairly ho hum, more lows than highs but we've been thereabouts. I'm glad the dream is still alive.

All the shit, the previous games don't rate much now. We've got within striking distance of a GF berth and are 4 qtrs away from a great moment and an extra tick on the year. I'm still concerned that we're limited through selections and form is a worry for a few older blokes but the chance is there and thats a start,.

Scraggers
12-09-2010, 12:13 AM
OK, I'll ask you again - do you think the Saints would be really worried with what they saw tonight?

It was obvious to me that we found our MOJO in that second half ... We have always matched up well against St. Kilda and next week will be no different. There is no doubt in my mind that Ross Lyon would have preferred the result tonight to have gone the other way.
So to answer your question ... Yes

LostDoggy
12-09-2010, 12:13 AM
We did start to show some signs in the second half of playing the way we have before.

Maybe it is on the way back?

LostDoggy
12-09-2010, 12:15 AM

I don't think the Saints are ever worried about playing us (in recent years). I hope that they are complacent and our boys atone for last year's Prelim. An old cliche - you have to be in it to win it, so I'm absolutely delighted with the win tonight.

LostDoggy
12-09-2010, 12:20 AM

Next Saturday night there is an Afl prelim final for StKilda to loose. Every inch of pressure is on them IMO.

boydogs
12-09-2010, 12:23 AM
Dogs by 5 points in overtime
First Goal Hall
BOG Hall

Not bad :D

Rance Fan
12-09-2010, 12:53 AM
Glad Minson played a reasonable game tonight!...along with others

LostDoggy
12-09-2010, 12:56 AM

I have been a critic of Minson's, but he played well tonight.

The Coon Dog
12-09-2010, 01:14 AM
Not bad :D

Now, about next weeks Lotto numbers...

boydogs
12-09-2010, 01:28 AM
Now, about next weeks Lotto numbers...

28 16 2 40 5 38

Note: May actually be the Dogs players best on field next week

AndrewP6
12-09-2010, 01:41 AM

Really? I didn't rate his game much.

G-Mo77
12-09-2010, 01:45 AM

He took a couple of really good contested marks. One at a crucial stage of the game as well in the last.

Cleaned up Jack nicely which I loved!!

Jasper
12-09-2010, 08:59 AM

Liked Minson's game, some reasonable tapwork, a couple of contested marks, not to many turnovers, and a great tackle (where didn't give a free) in the last quarter in Sydney's forward line.

And Roughead was destroyed by Jacobs at Willi.

comrade
12-09-2010, 09:02 AM
What was with Lloyd and Blight reeming Tom Williams at every opportunity? I thought he held up fairly well considering he's clearly hampered by injury.

It was as if they had a story in their head (Williams is crap) and refused to deviate, even when he did something impressive.

The Underdog
12-09-2010, 09:14 AM
Next Saturday night there is an Afl prelim final for StKilda to loose. Every inch of pressure is on them IMO.

I could have sworn we also had one to lose too, which is a fair bit of pressure considering our history.

What was with Lloyd and Blight reeming Tom Williams at every opportunity? I thought he held up fairly well considering he's clearly hampered by injury.

It was as if they had a story in their head (Williams is crap) and refused to deviate, even when he did something impressive.

I think Williams has been solid lately. He and Lake clearly aren't fit and if Morris doesn't return next week Riewoldt is going to have a field day. Hopefully the extra week helps but Lake couldn't keep up with Bradshaw and could barely walk at the end. Tom wasn't much better.

LostDoggy
12-09-2010, 09:54 AM
I would have been flying to Melbourne in about 5 hours, but yesterday I postponed my trip until next year. Now I'll have to use all of my FF miles to fly out if we make the Grand Final. I'll be away all of next weekend so won't be able to watch and/or listen to the PF. Damn, the footy certainly can complicate one's life! :p

And I thought I had a few issues (pardon the pun! ;)) with my hair. I do promise to keep all whinging and complaining about how much time and money to follow this great team to a more moderate level in future. Hope to see you soon, Chicago1. :D:D

P.s. Just how bad are Pittsburgh Pirates this season? :o:confused::(;)

EasternWest
12-09-2010, 10:15 AM

I rated Tom's game last night. He's made some huge steps this year. Sometimes his decision making can let him down, but I think he's a pretty damn good kick for the most part.

ReLoad
12-09-2010, 10:36 AM
Ok, first point I am NOT trying circumventing the swear filter. :)

Watched the replay this morning at at the 3 qtr time huddle, John Barnes was holding up a white board which had some statements on it, I couldn't make out he second one but the first one was clear to see:

"Tell that little man in your head to **** off!" - the first asterisk is a F.

I think that epitomises what were trying to do, were trying to set our own destiny, trying to forget the past, trying to play for the now, because we all know something has to be done different to get us all the way.

Some other points to note last night from my perspective:

Minson took several contested marks, and was very good tackle wise and pressure, probably IMHO one of his better games for us.

Wood was fantastic, he clearly adds that extra spark across the backline, and Trent Dennis-lane may as well have stayed home in sydney.

Johnno was good, his leading and presenting was excellent, sadly his body cant do the turn and shimmy that it used to, likewise he's lost his kick and handball penetration, but overall i thought he was good.

Harbrow regained some touch, a couple of times he linked up some handballs and used his speed, its going to be sad to lose him.

Tom Williams was excellent, he has improved his around the ground work, this purely comes down to consistency of game time and opportunity, now that he that he is growing in stature every week.

Gia Stood up when it counted, he was clearly told to play a defensive role in the first half, then switched over into attack, and won us the game. If anyone thinks he is not our next captain they are dreaming.

Super Bob, what a class act, his touch, skills and ability to slice through zone defences was amazing, he was also the turning point in the game for us when he was flicked into attack.

Brett Kirk, i've never seen a more courageous player in my life, seriously we should have a tin rattle right now and get him as an assistant coach.

LostDoggy
12-09-2010, 10:57 AM
I could have sworn we also had one to lose too, which is a fair bit of pressure considering our history.

According to most people not associated with the Western Bulldogs, We've already lossed.

Last night I saw Sam Fisher was going to Powderfinger instead of watching the Dogs v Syd match, and in the paper today StKilda is already talking about the GF rematch with Geelong.

mighty_west
12-09-2010, 10:59 AM

It was that contest where Goodes got the break from him, he was in no mans land, Tom can do that from time to time, and it's amazing that he can be purely judged on that one piece of play, more so than the good he does.

Lake has 5 brain fades per game and he is a superstar, Williams has one, and is a complete hack!!!!!!

BTW, i was spewing that Williams wasn't moved to Bradshaw, i just think he is a better man on man player than Lake at times, Brian can get caught from behind far too often, Wood onto Goodes when forward to release Lake as that roaming defender.

ledge
12-09-2010, 12:12 PM
How good is Ryan Griffen??

Hotdog60
12-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Wood is a player who didn't get a lot of stats last night, but if you look at his opponent Trent Dennis-Lane who kicked 4-1 last week he didn't have any influence at all.

This kid will be a keeper.

LostDoggy
12-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Anyone want to rate Addison's game last night?
Thought he got a fair bit of the ball (for his standards anyway) and played pretty well.
Thoughts?

azabob
12-09-2010, 12:51 PM
How good is Ryan Griffen??

I'm still not sure we know the answer yet.

His centre square work in the fourth quarter when Gia kicked the checkside goal was something to behold.

Griffen went onto his right had no option, went back to his left still no option then went to his right again and saw Eagleton and another player had made space onto the southern stand wing and hit the target.

He did those turns all in a 10m circle, they Sydney players just couldn't catch him.

LostDoggy
12-09-2010, 01:05 PM
Wood is a player who didn't get a lot of stats last night, but if you look at his opponent Trent Dennis-Lane who kicked 4-1 last week he didn't have any influence at all.

Saved a goal at the death, he was the only one with enough speed to punch the ball through the behinds.

EasternWest
12-09-2010, 01:08 PM
Thought he got a fair bit of the ball (for his standards anyway) and played pretty well.
Thoughts?

I'm going to comment, though no doubt what I say will be taken with a grain of salt.

I thought Addison did fairly well last night. The biggest knock on him I saw was a sequence of play on the flank where Goodes smothered his kick. He had a couple of possessions in that play and picked the wrong option each time.

Another thing I noticed that he needed to work on/be picked up on was that he consistently stood to Malceski's right, which allowed Malceski to break to his left and this didhurt us a few times.

Other than one poor kick early in the first quarter, his forward fifty entries to Hall were excellent. Similar too was his kick to Grant that led to Gia's snap goal.

Thought he was a bit hard done by in his deliberate out of bounds. Worked so hard to get the ball and get his hands free and don't see what other options he had. There was a piece of play (I believe it was in the third) where he made two or three desperate efforts to keep a contested ball alive, before pursuing the ball about thirty metres to another contest and getting it over the line that pretty much summed up his game and playing style.

I must admit to being bemused by the calls for his omission next week.

Go_Dogs
12-09-2010, 01:56 PM
I thought Addison did fairly well last night. The biggest knock on him I saw was a sequence of play on the flank where Goodes smothered his kick. He had a couple of possessions in that play and picked the wrong option each time.

Agree with that. That passage of play and his few involvements wasn't a good one, but overall he did some good things and showed plenty of desperation too, especially towards the end just his effort to get to/create a few contests.

Overall all, pleasing win - just about everybody contributed in patches and I think we have a fair chance to cause an upset this week.

bornadog
12-09-2010, 02:17 PM
I'm going to comment, though no doubt what I say will be taken with a grain of salt.

Another thing I noticed that he needed to work on/be picked up on was that he consistently stood to Malceski's right, which allowed Malceski to break to his left and this didhurt us a few times.

Other than one poor kick early in the first quarter, his forward fifty entries to Hall were excellent. Similar too was his kick to Grant that led to Gia's snap goal.

Thought he was a bit hard done by in his deliberate out of bounds. Worked so hard to get the ball and get his hands free and don't see what other options he had. There was a piece of play (I believe it was in the third) where he made two or three desperate efforts to keep a contested ball alive, before pursuing the ball about thirty metres to another contest and getting it over the line that pretty much summed up his game and playing style.

I must admit to being bemused by the calls for his omission next week.

I thought it was one of his best games, even though that passage of play you mention with Goodes was not good. He tried to kick the ball quickly to an unmarked player who could have run all the way into I50 but he stuffed it. The deliberate out out bounds was a joke and took me back to the 80's when they paid these. If you are being tackled and you are facing the boundary line you have to handpass forward or risk holding the ball. The play maker has no option and the umpire gave him no chance. This deliberate rule has by and large been lenient to players in Addisons position and could have cost us the game if the Swans had of used the ball better.

boydogs
12-09-2010, 03:09 PM

Disagree there. They clearly didn't take any notice of the fact he was carrying an injury, but there were several times he barely moved to cover Goodes, giving up uncontested marks inside the forward 50. Reminded me of the game where Taylor Walker killed him

Agreed. Loved the spoil late in the game followed by several bumps to let him know who was boss. Wonderful body work

Thoughts?

One of his better games, but his kicking accuracy still leaves a lot to be desired. The sort of game that suited him, with the number of contested ball situations. If I was to offer some advice, I would suggest for him to take a leaf out of Crossy's book and recognise his limitations, and look for short or handball options in preference to trying to pinpoint long passes

Murphy'sLore
12-09-2010, 03:09 PM
What a huge relief -- not just the result but to see the boys playing their hearts out and showing some of the old dash and courage they seem to have mislaid the last few weeks.

I missed most of the second quarter (had to go and attend to my daughter who'd started throwing up) and by the time I got back to the TV, Sydney were 30 points up and I thought, oh no, here we go again. But they proved me wrong in the second half, I even got up early to watch the replay after no sleep (sick kiddie).

GO DOGS!!

EasternWest
12-09-2010, 03:12 PM
One of his better games, but his kicking accuracy still leaves a lot to be desired. The sort of game that suited him, with the number of contested ball situations. If I was to offer some advice, I would suggest for him to take a leaf out of Crossy's book and recognise his limitations, and look for short or handball options in preference to trying to pinpoint long passes

A fair point, but three of his kicks did lead directly to goals. One hit Hall laces out, and another dropped right on his head in the most advantageous spot for Hall. In the open and with time (as he had with those kicks), I'd be encouraging him to go for it.

boydogs
12-09-2010, 03:33 PM
A fair point, but three of his kicks did lead directly to goals. One hit Hall laces out, and another dropped right on his head in the most advantageous spot for Hall. In the open and with time (as he had with those kicks), I'd be encouraging him to go for it.

2 of the 3 clanger kicks he had that I can remember were after taking a mark. Perhaps he is one of those types that is better on the run

Chicago1
12-09-2010, 04:12 PM
And I thought I had a few issues (pardon the pun! ;)) with my hair. I do promise to keep all whinging and complaining about how much time and money to follow this great team to a more moderate level in future. Hope to see you soon, Chicago1. :D:D

P.s. Just how bad are Pittsburgh Pirates this season? :o:confused::(;)

The Pirates are just marginally worse than my beloved Cubs this year. What a waste of a summer. At least I only bought tickets for six games this year instead of the 36 I bought last year.

I originally booked my flights presuming we'd have a good chance of winning Week1 and even if we'd lose we'd bolt in against our Week 2 opponent and thus set us up for a Preliminary Final win. I just couldn't wait until after last night's match to postpone my trip, if we would have lost, like I had originally thought I might do. I would have had far too many things to organise with my caregiver responsibilities and then have to possibly change everything I would have organised in a few hours.(I was due to fly out about 6 hours after the end of last night's match.) So I had to make the decision during the week, based upon the odds of us even making the PF and then winning it. The decision was also monetary. I couldn't justify the expenses of another trip this year if I didn't have a really good feeling about us getting to the Grand Final. If we do make it to the Grand Final, I will have to book my flights after I get back from my weekend trip, Sunday evening, and fly out on Tuesday, arriving at Tullamarine on Thursday before the GF. And even then I will not have a ticket to the GF, though I'm hoping to get one through a source or two. I originally booked my flights using FF miles and money, though I'm not sure about just a trip for the GF and if I'd be able to organise something using all my FF miles. I'll worry about that after next Saturday if I have to!

If only we would have beaten Collingwood last weekend, I would now be in the air over the Pacific heading to Melbourne. :o I soooooo want them to lose to Geelong on Friday for what they did to me! ;)

Raw Toast
12-09-2010, 04:35 PM

Haven't seen the commentary yet, but Williams was heroic last night imo. He couldn't go with Goodes on the burst at times, played on one leg, and was understandably run ragged at times as well. But he stopped Goodes from destroying us, broke even at worst in every contested situation, and moved into the middle at times (not only following Goodes) to really shape the contest.

His best moment for me was in the last when he went up into the middle, leaving another player on Goodes in the defensive fifty, won the ball, handpassed nicely, ran to receive the give back, and spotted Gia on the lead (who then passed off to Murphy). Really, for someone playing under extreme duress he was amazing, and his athleticism and will to compete was just wonderful.

He [Minson] took a couple of really good contested marks. One at a crucial stage of the game as well in the last.

Cleaned up Jack nicely which I loved!!

Can't quite understand why some supporters were highly critical of Minson in this game. It was easily his best game of the season imo.. He took a couple of ripper marks, should've had a goal from Hall in the second after he somehow manged to put metres on his opponent in the forward 50 (Hall saw him but missed the kick), and was crucial in lots of contested situations in the second half.

Perhaps most impressive was his tackling where he managed to NOT give away free kicks numerous times in tricky situations and stuck that glorious tackle in the defensive 50 to gain the free. I can't believe the free kick for holding the ball against him when he was besieged, but he stood really tall for us imo and will be crucial against the Saints.

I thought Addison did fairly well last night. ...

Also don't quite get the calls for him to be dropped, especially against the Saints. He's clearly got work to do, but cut up the Swans early as the defensive forward, created a number of goals through good use of the ball, and was super at the contest in the last quarter. That moment on the wing when he stopped the Swans three times in succession was inspirational.

Yes he is a risk in terms of decision-making and skills, but he showed he could hurt the opposition as a defensive forward which is key if you want to play the Rooke/Campbell Brown role. We'll need his hardness against the Saints imo, and have to hope he can hurt them more than he hurts us.