PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Cross: The most underrated mark in the league

westdog54
11-09-2010, 11:54 PM
Ok, so I'm taking a bit of licence with that title, but my god that last mark he took was mighty. Took some other crunch marks through the game as well.

I think its one of his most forgotten traits at times.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
12-09-2010, 12:14 AM
When you compile a list of the traits you love in Cross, his contested marking above his head is probably second only to his attack on the ball.

boydogs
12-09-2010, 12:25 AM
Ok, so I'm taking a bit of licence with that title, but my god that last mark he took was mighty. Took some other crunch marks through the game as well.

I think its one of his most forgotten traits at times.

Agree with the principle, but THAT mark was just about uncontested on his chest IIRC

LostDoggy
12-09-2010, 12:25 AM
Daniel Cross stood up and answered the call tonight. His last q was quite special

The Coon Dog
12-09-2010, 01:11 AM
Daniel Cross stood up and answered the call tonight. His last q was quite special

Onya Bruce! :D

Dry Rot
12-09-2010, 01:14 AM
Agree with his marking ability, but how good was his taking Bolton out?

To beat the Saints, we need that mongrel across the team.

KT31
12-09-2010, 01:15 AM
Not only one off the most underated marks but certainly the most underated player.

Mantis
12-09-2010, 01:17 AM
Would have been great if he had slotted the goal.

To not even attempt the shot was disappointing.

bornadog
12-09-2010, 01:20 AM

and if he missed and got a point and they ran it down the other end for a goal??? I thought he did the right thing as the runners told them how long to go.

Mantis
12-09-2010, 01:22 AM
and if he missed and got a point and they ran it down the other end for a goal??? I thought he did the right thing as the runners told them how long to go.

He was kicking from goal from all of 45m??

Luke Ball would be only other player from the top 4 teams who wouldn't take a shot.

LostDoggy
12-09-2010, 01:22 AM
If only he was quick, a bit taller & could kick a ball, he would be the perfect full forward :)

LostDoggy
12-09-2010, 01:42 AM

Luke Ball would be only other player from the top 4 teams who wouldn't take a shot.

But as was mentioned what if he kicks a point? Gives the Swans a chance to pinch a draw..

With him going back and wasting 15 more seconds if gave them no chance of winning..

Correct decision

boydogs
12-09-2010, 01:42 AM

I reckon he was told exactly how long was left. Better to drain the clock with the 30 seconds allowed for a shot at goal then pass it back to make sure of it

If there were 2 or more minutes left, have the shot and if its a point then at least we are a goal clear, but 40 seconds just wait a bit then retain possession

jazzadogs
12-09-2010, 01:57 AM
I reckon he was told exactly how long was left. Better to drain the clock with the 30 seconds allowed for a shot at goal then pass it back to make sure of it

If there were 2 or more minutes left, have the shot and if its a point then at least we are a goal clear, but 40 seconds just wait a bit then retain possession
Exactly. My initial reaction was that he should have had it, but then thought it through, and it was a really intelligent football decision.

SonofScray
12-09-2010, 03:11 AM

Not even a free kick IMO - umpire just paid a free kick out of fright because he hit him that hard. Radio suggested that he might be in trouble, but surely not? Replay shows no head high contact.

mighty_west
12-09-2010, 10:13 AM
Not even a free kick IMO - umpire just paid a free kick out of fright because he hit him that hard. Radio suggested that he might be in trouble, but surely not? Replay shows no head high contact.

It was a great contest, and typical of which two players were involved - Bolton & Cross, it is what finals footy is all about.

EasternWest
12-09-2010, 10:33 AM

Barely a free kick. The MRP should look at it and instantly dismiss it.

Taking Bolton out was a bonus, but we're overlooking the fact that it was just Cross doing his thing. Putting his head down and attacking the ball. He played a super game.

Mofra
12-09-2010, 11:16 AM
No report - Bolton's teammates pushed him into Cross' path.

It's easy to talk about Cross' limitations, but often we lose sight of his strengths.

LostDoggy
12-09-2010, 11:36 AM
Cross plays very tall. Fairly certain he's 4th in hitouts for the season via his third man up play. His pack marking and spoiling is amongst the most consistent in the team and his decision to not have a shot in the final moments of last night's game just further exemplifies why Daniel Cross is as Bulldog as they get. :D:D

G-Mo77
12-09-2010, 11:40 AM

I believe there were 25 seconds left when he took that mark. I had a good view of the clock that was on the bench were I was sitting and it seemed the players knew exactly how long there was in the game. He did the right thing.

Mantis
12-09-2010, 11:42 AM
I believe there were 25 seconds left when he took that mark. I had a good view of the clock that was on the bench were I was sitting and it seemed the players knew exactly how long there was in the game. He did the right thing.

Having now watched the replay I agree.

Flamethrower
12-09-2010, 11:50 AM

Trav Cloke would have had a shot, turned it over and the Pies lost the game. :D

Spot on about Crossy - it is a shame he is not more confident about his goalkicking, as he would be such a dangerous target in the forward line with his ability to take a contested mark.

EasternWest
12-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Barely a free kick. The MRP should look at it and instantly dismiss it.

Taking Bolton out was a bonus, but we're overlooking the fact that it was just Cross doing his thing. Putting his head down and attacking the ball. He played a super game.

Just saw the replay on Game Day from a different angle. Showed Cross passing the ball and curling up his arm in preparation for that hit.

Still not necessarily sure he'll go for it, but it looked way worse from that angle.

Sitting on the fence :).

boydogs
12-09-2010, 01:42 PM

How does that work? I figured the official timekeeping was visible in the coaches boxes and used by broadcasters, but I didn't realise the bench would have direct visibility

bornadog
12-09-2010, 02:06 PM
How does that work? I figured the official timekeeping was visible in the coaches boxes and used by broadcasters, but I didn't realise the bench would have direct visibility

Its about time that Channel 10 have the timer running instead of the stupid nonsense they have now.

westdog54
12-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Its about time that Channel 10 have the timer running instead of the stupid nonsense they have now.

I know I'm in a minority but I like the 5 minute warning. In a close game I hate knowing how long there is to go. It adds to the excitement of the game. The 5 minute warning creates a mini illusion that I'm at the game.

azabob
12-09-2010, 05:55 PM
I know I'm in a minority but I like the 5 minute warning. In a close game I hate knowing how long there is to go. It adds to the excitement of the game. The 5 minute warning creates a mini illusion that I'm at the game.

I agree, I prefer not to know!

jazzadogs
12-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Just saw the replay on Game Day from a different angle. Showed Cross passing the ball and curling up his arm in preparation for that hit.

Still not necessarily sure he'll go for it, but it looked way worse from that angle.

Sitting on the fence :).
This is the part of the rules that I don't like, because what else is he meant to do in that situation?

If he's just run past the ball, and Bolton has been pushed into his path by Jack, then why would Cross not try to defend himself? It basically is just self defence, putting the arm up to stop being headbutted in the ribs/stomach. No malice in it, and I'll be very disappointed if he gets rubbed out.

EasternWest
12-09-2010, 10:48 PM
This is the part of the rules that I don't like, because what else is he meant to do in that situation?

If he's just run past the ball, and Bolton has been pushed into his path by Jack, then why would Cross not try to defend himself? It basically is just self defence, putting the arm up to stop being headbutted in the ribs/stomach. No malice in it, and I'll be very disappointed if he gets rubbed out.

Totally agree with you. But going on the general vibe of the way that front on hit is assessed, he could be in strife. I hope not.

If he does, with any luck his good record and maybe an early guilty plea if absolutely necessary will see him play this week.

Actually, with any luck, they'll simply accept that it was one of those things in footy, and move on.

Ozza
13-09-2010, 11:36 AM
My favourite part of Crossy's game was his first 10 minutes of the third quarter. I don't know if he had many stats in that time - but his defensive work early in that quarter was amazing....a ridiculous amount of running - he was closing down the Swans options everywhere.