PDA

View Full Version : Have we played our Grand Final?

boydogs
12-09-2010, 12:18 AM
You see every year when sides meet their match, fight tooth and nail to get through then bow out easily the week after. Collingwood last year a good example.

Do you think we have another big game or two left in us?

I fear that we will not be as competitive with the Saints in the prelim this year as last, having finished 3rd last year and having an easier game in week 2 of the finals than we did tonight

Stefcep
12-09-2010, 12:22 AM
We are the 4th best team playing next week.

comrade
12-09-2010, 12:24 AM
We are the 4th best team playing next week.

Yes, and?

Dry Rot
12-09-2010, 12:27 AM

No, I think the Saints will sort us out.

westdog54
12-09-2010, 12:28 AM
You see every year when sides meet their match, fight tooth and nail to get through then bow out easily the week after. Collingwood last year a good example.

I fear that we will not be as competitive with the Saints in the prelim this year as last, having finished 3rd last year and having an easier game in week 2 of the finals than we did tonight

I thought that Geelong played their Grand Final against Collingwood in 07. I still thought they'd win, just not by much.

Ask anyone on the Bay 13 forum if the number 119 has been forgotten yet.

lemmon
12-09-2010, 12:28 AM
Honestly, my head says yes, we struggled to get 'up' for periods tonight and the win was a massive effort. Its a prelim and anything can happen but in my heart of hearts, I think we're cooked.

LostDoggy
12-09-2010, 12:30 AM
There is another 10 big games in the Dogs!
Like posted in another topic, the game next week is sitting on a platter for the Saints to loose. I think what might have them worried is that hey know the dogs match up well against them, and there is a chance they might get the better of them next week.
The only problem is none of the press, fans or bookies will believe it.
How will StKilda handle being overwhelming favourites?

lemmon
12-09-2010, 12:34 AM
There is another 10 big games in the Dogs!
Like posted in another topic, the game next week is sitting on a platter for the Saints to loose. I think what might have them worried is that hey know the dogs match up well against them, and there is a chance they might get the better of them next week.
The only problem is none of the press, fans or bookies will believe it.
How will StKilda handle being overwhelming favourites?

Thats the card we hold, we truly are the hunters, the games there for the Saints to lose and they know it.

Mantis
12-09-2010, 01:25 AM
Thats the card we hold, we truly are the hunters, the games there for the Saints to lose and they know it.

This line of thinking won't work.

They're seeking redemption after a close loss in the GF last year and will hit us with everything including the kitchen sink next week.

AndrewP6
12-09-2010, 01:29 AM
It pains me greatly, but I think we'll get a fair old touch up next week. A bit of luck is required at this stage of proceedings, and we're fresh out of that. Crucial players out, and some others clearly hampered - we were terrific in getting past the Swans, but I fear that'll be it.

bornadog
12-09-2010, 01:30 AM

They're seeking redemption after a close loss in the GF last year and will hit us with everything including the kitchen sink next week.

and we are also seeking redemption as we should have been in the GF last year and we will also hit them with the kitchen sink. We really toughed it out tonight and showed we can match it with one of the best sides in the AFL in that sort of contested footy.

bornadog
12-09-2010, 01:32 AM
duplicate

G-Mo77
12-09-2010, 01:40 AM
No we will play that if we beat the Saints next week. It's not impossible to beat St. Kilda.

Remi Moses
12-09-2010, 03:17 AM
Need a massive improvement obviously to get near them!
Not confident but honestly I'm never confident

Bumper Bulldogs
12-09-2010, 08:22 AM
I think after the Swans game and coming back as we did that will be the inspiration they need to go all the way. We should have plenty on motivation as they beat us last year in the finals and we had a few blokes on one leg, they beat us this year when we gave the game to them. And we have the Jonno factor the players will now know it's only 2 more games and the Saints are ready for the picking. the week after should be the easy one as the cats and pies should belt the suitcases out of each other.

The Underdog
12-09-2010, 09:16 AM
No, Preliminary finals are our equivalent to Grand Final's. They usually only end one way.

cambo
12-09-2010, 10:47 AM
Why is everyone so negative!!! no wonder the players have seemed to lose confidence when most of our supporters have written them off!
Go gettem boys I think you can smash St Kilda, as the saying goes anything can happen in finals

mighty_west
12-09-2010, 11:16 AM
I am actually more confident this week against the Saints than i was before last nights game, the Saints play that tight contested lock down style, so i'd be extremely suprised if they played a style to come out and try & get the jump on us, it is just not Lyons game style, and i'd be loathed if he started mixing things up for a Prelim.

We have showed that we can also play this style of game, like last night, like the Crows game, North tried to do it to us and i think it';s a style that can get our confidence back if last nights game hasn't already, i expect to be Mortgaging the house to seek out GF tickets!

Flamethrower
12-09-2010, 12:28 PM
There is one big thing in our favour - our opponent is hardly known for their success, and see every every big final as another opportunity to choke/fail/underachieve (a little like us really).

SonofScray
12-09-2010, 12:54 PM
There is every chance that this will be a final where whoever chokes the least will win! Sounds bit harsh but both teams have histories of failing on the big stage. Both teams however have been up and about for a few years and look to be breaking the trend. ST Kilda on form are much closer to it than we are.

So more than likely they win. BUT we are good enough to make the upset provided some things go our way, and we get the score on the board. Who is to say we won't have a player turn it on, or that they fall a bit flat. Or that we get the rub of the green from the umpires. Injuries, conditions, emotion - it can change the landscape.

I am confident something good will happen. I'm prepared to leave the ho hm nature of our 2010 season behind and just enjoy the ride towards a GF.

Bumper Bulldogs
12-09-2010, 01:11 PM
I am confident something good will happen. I'm prepared to leave the ho hm nature of our 2010 season behind and just enjoy the ride towards a GF.

Yeah Baby..... The rub of the green is Zac playing on Hall. it is only a matter of delivery into the forward 50.

GF here we come.

Mantis
12-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Yeah Baby..... The rub of the green is Zac playing on Hall. it is only a matter of delivery into the forward 50.

GF here we come.

Fisher played on Hall earlier on this year and did a fine job.

I can't see Zac being given the job this time around.

Bumper Bulldogs
12-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Fisher played on Hall earlier on this year and did a fine job.

I can't see Zac being given the job this time around.

Oh well then if he goes to Grant let him play out of the square. Zac wouldn't get near him with that burst of speed.

Mantis
12-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Oh well then if he goes to Grant let him play out of the square. Zac wouldn't get near him with that burst of speed.

Grant in his past 2 finals has had 6 touches & 7 touches respectively and taken a total of 6 marks.

If Grant was in good touch I would agree, but he has clearly struggled the past 2 weeks.

SonofScray
12-09-2010, 01:39 PM
Grant in his past 2 finals has had 6 touches & 7 touches respectively and taken a total of 6 marks.

If Grant was in good touch I would agree, but he has clearly struggled the past 2 weeks.

Thought the Pies game he struggled, partly because he was scragged out of the contest and did not get any protection and partly due to lack of supply. Where he let himself down was an inability to push up and get involved elsewhere.

When the night was falling to pieces he was not involved that much last night either which was a concern but once the work up the ground started getting done he found himself involved a bit more.One thing I noticed more so than the previous week was that he did apply the chasing and tackling with more purpose.

Get the ball in to him / to a contest enough and he'll take his chances I feel.

Go_Dogs
12-09-2010, 02:02 PM

He's struggling to stay involved, although at times showed the required intensity as was able to have an impact - although obviously couldn't sustain it with any kid of consistency.

It's not surprising because the intensity of finals is another step up and Sydney looked a very fleet footed side last night.

I'd give him another chance without doubt, with the message being to work on his repeat efforts and defensive stuff - when he gets that right the opportunities for goals will come - like they did at times last night.

LostDoggy
12-09-2010, 03:38 PM
We can sooooooo do this!!! dunno how...............but we can!!:D

Ozza
13-09-2010, 12:56 PM

You can just see it in Goddard and Riewoldt, they are so driven.
Hopefully we play with a lot of dare and adventure and use the centre of the ground...but I think St.Kilda are the Premiers this year - and I can't see us beating them if I'm 100% honest.

But I'm looking forward to turning up and finding out for sure!

LostDoggy
13-09-2010, 01:20 PM
You can just see it in Goddard and Riewoldt, they are so driven.
Hopefully we play with a lot of dare and adventure and use the centre of the ground...but I think St.Kilda are the Premiers this year - and I can't see us beating them if I'm 100% honest.

But I'm looking forward to turning up and finding out for sure!

We should have beaten them the only time we played them and I know minus Saint Sook and no Cooney for us this week but they are they any better than last year??? Morris back and the luck has turned back to the dogs now.... CONFIDENT OF A DOGS WIN

Mantis
13-09-2010, 01:24 PM
We should have beaten them the only time we played them and I know minus Saint Sook and no Cooney for us this week but they are they any better than last year??? Morris back and the luck has turned back to the dogs now.... CONFIDENT OF A DOGS WIN

Probably not.

But we are not in the same form as last year and our dropped is far greater than the Saints.

LostDoggy
13-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Probably not.

But we are not in the same form as last year and our dropped is far greater than the Saints.

Would you have said that before the Geelong game? Maybe weve got our mojo back.Saints werent that hot before the Geelong game. I think people are getting carried away with them having one good week. Their form was ordinary before the finals

Mantis
13-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Would you have said that before the Geelong game? Maybe weve got our mojo back.Saints werent that hot before the Geelong game. I think people are getting carried away with them having one good week. Their form was ordinary before the finals

No I wouldn't have, but since then the wheels have fallen off our season.

LostDoggy
13-09-2010, 01:45 PM
To all Woofers... to pay for your Grand Final ticket back the Dogs this week at $5 . We are over the odds and should be backed

1eyedog
13-09-2010, 01:45 PM
I am actually more confident this week against the Saints than i was before last nights game, the Saints play that tight contested lock down style, so i'd be extremely suprised if they played a style to come out and try & get the jump on us, it is just not Lyons game style, and i'd be loathed if he started mixing things up for a Prelim.

We have showed that we can also play this style of game, like last night, like the Crows game, North tried to do it to us and i think it';s a style that can get our confidence back if last nights game hasn't already, i expect to be Mortgaging the house to seek out GF tickets!

Agree. You are always a chance of beating the Saints given this style of play.

LostDoggy
13-09-2010, 02:03 PM
Agree. You are always a chance of beating the Saints given this style of play.

They definitely are the only one of the 3 remaining teams I think we have a realistic shot against. So after all our bad luck maybe a little good luck we are not facing Pies or Geelong.

boydogs
13-09-2010, 09:18 PM
They definitely are the only one of the 3 remaining teams I think we have a realistic shot against. So after all our bad luck maybe a little good luck we are not facing Pies or Geelong.

Agreed. Pretty fortunate to finish 4th, lose the first final, win the semi by less than a kick and then get to play the worst of the rest in a prelim, away from their home ground too

Ghost Dog
13-09-2010, 09:46 PM
He's struggling to stay involved, although at times showed the required intensity as was able to have an impact - although obviously couldn't sustain it with any kid of consistency.

It's not surprising because the intensity of finals is another step up and Sydney looked a very fleet footed side last night.

I'd give him another chance without doubt, with the message being to work on his repeat efforts and defensive stuff - when he gets that right the opportunities for goals will come - like they did at times last night.

The thing I like about Granty is his confidence in front of goal. His snap with first touch of the game was awesome. His ability to chase too is really good. Opponents get caught out by his speed. We do need a few more options than Barry up forward. Have high hopes for him.

Sedat
13-09-2010, 10:25 PM
The thing I like about Granty is his confidence in front of goal. His snap with first touch of the game was awesome.
I also liked his kick to Gia for his first goal in the 3rd qtr. He gathered the ball in space, ran directly towards goal, and when he saw Mattner running across to deny him the chance to run on, he saw up ahead there was only Gia leading with Shaw hot on his hammer. So instead of trying to spear it to Gia, he chipped a soft kick that allowed Gia to run onto it, turn Shaw inside out and then slot the goal. Grant's kick was criticised on the radio but I thought it was a deft bit of touch. Some of our other players could do well to observe that you don't have to spear the ball at pace to effectively spot up a teammate.

On the subject of good signs, Ward was terrific in the 2nd half shutting down the dangerous Jack. His hardness at the contest will be crucial this week against a team reknowned for their ability to extract the ball out of tight situations.

I don't think we've played our GF. If anything we found some much needed touch in the 2nd half, which will hopefully translate onto next week. All of Ward, Gilbee and Hargrave were very poor last week, and all found good form and would be itching to get back out on the ground this week to keep this form momentum going.

boydogs
13-09-2010, 11:08 PM
I also liked his kick to Gia for his first goal in the 3rd qtr. He gathered the ball in space, ran directly towards goal, and when he saw Mattner running across to deny him the chance to run on, he saw up ahead there was only Gia leading with Shaw hot on his hammer. So instead of trying to spear it to Gia, he chipped a soft kick that allowed Gia to run onto it, turn Shaw inside out and then slot the goal. Grant's kick was criticised on the radio but I thought it was a deft bit of touch. Some of our other players could do well to observe that you don't have to spear the ball at pace to effectively spot up a teammate.

Can't agree, any little seperation Gia had on Shaw could easily have been lost by the bounce of the ball. I don't think he meant the kick to go where it did, it was probably a function of having to quickly change direction to make the pass. I think Gia made it look better than it was

On the subject of good signs, Ward was terrific in the 2nd half shutting down the dangerous Jack. His hardness at the contest will be crucial this week against a team reknowned for their ability to extract the ball out of tight situations.

Definitely, Ward was huge in last year's PF, hopefully he can match or better that performance

I don't think we've played our GF. If anything we found some much needed touch in the 2nd half, which will hopefully translate onto next week. All of Ward, Gilbee and Hargrave were very poor last week, and all found good form and would be itching to get back out on the ground this week to keep this form momentum going.

Good for confidence sure, but I would have liked Saturday's game the week before. We are carrying a few sore bodies, and I worry that the effort to get over Sydney will take the edge off us. It was a fierce contested ball game that went right down to the last second, big efforts were made with everything on the line, as they should have been, but the Saints were watching all of that from their loungerooms

I think it's 42 of 44 now of the top 4 sides on the ladder at the end of the H&A season have made the prelim since the top 8 started, not sure on the stats for sides with the week off making the GF but I reckon we are up against it

Sockeye Salmon
14-09-2010, 11:08 AM

No way. It was a dreadful blunder that Gia fixed for him.

When you are right in front, not under much pressure and cross the 50 - kick the bloody goal!

He would have kicked that 1000 times at training this year.

Desipura
14-09-2010, 01:04 PM
The thing I like about Granty is his confidence in front of goal. His snap with first touch of the game was awesome. His ability to chase too is really good. Opponents get caught out by his speed. We do need a few more options than Barry up forward. Have high hopes for him.
Lets put things into perspective, the kid has some real talent. However he had his first disposal in the 3rd quarter whilst his opponent had 16 possies at the same time.

Sedat
14-09-2010, 01:06 PM
No way. It was a dreadful blunder that Gia fixed for him.

When you are right in front, not under much pressure and cross the 50 - kick the bloody goal!

He would have kicked that 1000 times at training this year.
I reckon Mattner would have smothered the kick if Grant took a couple more steps to steady and went for home. Mattner was tearing in at pace, and such a smother would have been deflating to the momentum we had generated.

As for the kick, I'm glad he didn't try to belt it through the eye of a needle. Gia was never going to get any separation on Rhyce Shaw, and such a kick would have been smashed out of harms way by Shaw. The chip kick allowed Gia to (brilliantly) turn Shaw inside out, who over-committed to the contest. Don't get me wrong, fantastic play by Gia to turn Shaw inside out, but he would not have been able to do so if the kick was speared in at pace.

Sedat
14-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Lets put things into perspective, the kid has some real talent. However he had his first disposal in the 3rd quater whilst his opponent had 16 possies at the same time.
Agreed, he was really poor in the first half. But just because things aren't going your way in a game, doesn't mean you cannot have an impact later on in certain key moments. Was great coaching by Rocket to have faith in Grant and keep him on the field after half time, which was rewarded 20 seconds in. And Grant did have some other important moments in the 2nd half.

Mantis
14-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Agreed, he was really poor in the first half. But just because things aren't going your way in a game, doesn't mean you cannot have an impact later on in certain key moments. Was great coaching by Rocket to have faith in Grant and keep him on the field after half time, which was rewarded 20 seconds in. And Grant did have some other important moments in the 2nd half.

Assuming he plays he will be very important this week... as long as he works hard.

He played really well in our clash against St.Kilda earlier this year because he was prepared to lead up to the ball. He took some really strong marks and distributed the ball well by both hand and foot.

So far thru this finals series he has played a very stationary role which means his great assets (clean hands & pace) haven't been on show.

He needs to get on his bike.

Curly5
14-09-2010, 02:20 PM
There were a few short kickers on Sat night - Harbrow, Boyd :eek:, Hahn, Johnno, Ward. Maybe the long season has robbed the boys of a bit of leg strength. I really hate to see passes drop a metre short, or goal attempts touched on the line, all for the want of a bit more power in the kick.

We're getting our hopes up for this game, but I fear Johnno (and maybe others) will be carried off with the Saints clapping. :( Would love to be wrong.

Desipura
14-09-2010, 02:36 PM

With the game as fast as it is, and players coming off for a breather, you have to have faith in the 22 out there. Its not like the old days where you got dragged and never came back on the ground.

LostDoggy
14-09-2010, 03:46 PM
Assuming he plays he will be very important this week... as long as he works hard.

He played really well in our clash against St.Kilda earlier this year because he was prepared to lead up to the ball. He took some really strong marks and distributed the ball well by both hand and foot.

So far thru this finals series he has played a very stationary role which means his great assets (clean hands & pace) haven't been on show.

He needs to get on his bike.

This is the key, its what we lacked this year before we brought him into the side, and super important against the Saints, when its tight its about the only way we will get goals. Hall sometimes has a remarkable ability to find a turning circle in traffic too.

LostDoggy
14-09-2010, 04:56 PM
I think the two most dangerous opponents this year are Geelong and Collingwood. Geelong look furious and driven. The Pies have been fantastic all year and if they get through to the GF then next week will be HUGE, and it'll all be black and white.

The Saints know all this.

Last week's game was good, but we've really limped into the prelim this year. And I think that's where our advantage is — and I hate that, I hate the mentality — but being underdogs might just have the mental edge we need — for St Kilda, not for us. I can't honestly believe that a team as disciplined, controlled and tightly-drilled as the Saints will take us lightly, but I also can't believe they wouldn't look to next week with an odd lazy eye either…

Saturday night will be all above the neck, for both teams. Should make for a cracker…

Ozza
17-09-2010, 10:51 AM
With the game as fast as it is, and players coming off for a breather, you have to have faith in the 22 out there. Its not like the old days where you got dragged and never came back on the ground.

I was shocked on saturday night - at how many times we picked inopportune times to have blokes run from the field. In one case, a goal was kicked, and the ball got all the way back to the centre before we took 2 forwards off - so for the first few seconds after the bounce (when hopefully we would get it out and send it inside 50) - we were 4 on 6 in the forwardline.

We seem to do this sort of thing a lot.