PDA

View Full Version : Hoops, Little in Size, Big in Future?

LostDoggy
12-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Would love hear what WOOFers think of Andrew Hooper's first game. I know everyone in my bay were reasonbly impressed. Not taking into consideration I had his number in my hair, he made me proud to do so, IMO. Your thoughts?

LostDoggy
12-09-2010, 11:44 AM
I was quite impressed! Very happy to see the young fella get in there getting amongst it and making his opportunities count :D

Bumper Bulldogs
12-09-2010, 11:46 AM
I thought he looked a little over come by the occasion, total acceptable one might add. He will now see the deference between the Willie games and the AFL.

He looks a likely type but i haven't yet got the man crush that others clearly have.;)

He could be part of our new look forward line next year.

LostDoggy
12-09-2010, 11:50 AM
I thought he was alright, I wasn't exactly like "WOW", but it was his first game, so I wasn't expecting to be. Did his bit in the win, I thought. I did keep getting him confused with Harbrow, cause he looked kind of like a fat version of Harbrow from a distance (the hair, and the shoulder etc).

comrade
12-09-2010, 11:55 AM
I thought he was alright, I wasn't exactly like "WOW", but it was his first game, so I wasn't expecting to be. Did his bit in the win, I thought. I did keep getting him confused with Harbrow, cause he looked kind of like a fat version of Harbrow from a distance (the hair, and the shoulder etc).

Lulz.

LostDoggy
12-09-2010, 12:00 PM
I thought he looked a little over come by the occasion, total acceptable one might add. He will now see the deference between the Willie games and the AFL.

He looks a likely type but i haven't yet got the man crush that others clearly have.;)

I hope Psycho doesn't get jealous. :o He is still my ''fully sick mate" (spoken in the tone of The Nissan GTR Man) ;)

ledge
12-09-2010, 12:04 PM
I think this kid is going to be great and with his build and an improved tank could be the one who takes over in the centre in the future.
Looked like he loved it and wants to really be a part of AFL, a real hunger.
"Weeman" has big potential.

SlimPickens
12-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Liked his game, presented well, chased hard and slotted a clutch goal to lift the side. Think he should play this week and a big preseason could see him find a spot in our forward line for the future (10-15 games next year).

LostDoggy
12-09-2010, 01:02 PM

Agree with this post.

I think he definitely has a future, but was a little lost during parts of the game.

Mofra
12-09-2010, 01:04 PM

First quarter (or quarter & a half) he looked like he was struggling to pick up the pace of the game (like almost every other debutant does).

One he started to get the pace he showed a bit, unlucky a few times. He must consider himself a pretty good chance of being in our best 22 from round 1 2011, be looking to a big pre-season.

EasternWest
12-09-2010, 01:15 PM
Liked his game, presented well, chased hard and slotted a clutch goal to lift the side. Think he should play this week and a big preseason could see him find a spot in our forward line for the future (10-15 games next year).

I pretty much agree with this. Looked raw, but not too out of place. Loved his reaction to his goal, but enjoyed the goal to Gia that his willingness to commit his body for created.

No man crush for me, but he seems a good kid.

AndrewP6
12-09-2010, 01:31 PM

Agree with this....

lemmon
12-09-2010, 02:20 PM
There's always a place for a guy who's uncompromising, tough as a cats head and doesnt waste his opportunities. I would've liked to see him do a bit more crumbing at Halls feet but he presented well and along with Grant improved out forward line pressure.

stefoid
12-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Important goal, but did little else. Id prefer to see Jones in next week to be honest.

Hope he can force his way into the side next year

Dazza
12-09-2010, 02:36 PM
Was great to see him get a game. Seemed a little overawed throughout the first half.

boydogs
12-09-2010, 02:42 PM
Loved his reaction to his goal, but enjoyed the goal to Gia that his willingness to commit his body for created.

I noticed that. Bundled the Swans player out of the way to enable Gia an easy goal. See video below at 3:43. Hard at the contest, chased well, kicked the goal when it mattered. Lead up hard, drew 3 free kicks. We got more out of Hooper than Grant last night IMO

faqv8x62-xI

comrade
12-09-2010, 02:43 PM
Chunk!

Topdog
12-09-2010, 09:23 PM
He didn't do a lot but he did show some good glimpses of play. Certainly think he has a future.

westdog54
12-09-2010, 09:27 PM
He played like a round 10 debutant, rather than a sudden death final debutant.

Tiny bit overawed by the occasion but did some handy things.

Definitely a big future. My fears were allayed.

Great to see him doused in Powerade in the rooms while the song was sung.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-09-2010, 09:57 PM
Loved his reaction following the goal. Got me back into the game, so to speak.

Thought he handled the situation well. Needs to position himself closer to Barry so that he can crumb more often, but he picked up the ball cleanly and gave off a few good handballs.

Definitely think he needs to stick close to goal as he isn't fast over a sustained period, but quick enough over the first 5-10m.

LostDoggy
12-09-2010, 10:02 PM
Thought it was a great start on a big occasion. He will obviously benefit from a big pre season with the big boys, and he showed lots of courage, and endeavour. He can only get better me thinks! He shows lots of hunger to be part of the team - we surely gotta love that.

Throughandthrough
12-09-2010, 10:04 PM
Gotta stop falling over looking for free kicks though, hells bells he's built like the proverbial...

divvydan
12-09-2010, 10:23 PM

Thought he handled the situation well. Needs to position himself closer to Barry so that he can crumb more often, but he picked up the ball cleanly and gave off a few good handballs.

Definitely think he needs to stick close to goal as he isn't fast over a sustained period, but quick enough over the first 5-10m.

Ideally yes but it's not that easy to do. If he forgets about leading up at the ball and tries to position himself just ahead of where Hall is leading, his opponent then has the opportunity to drop off and be an extra man up against Hall.

He needs to continue leading at the ball carrier but then use his low centre of gravity to turn quickly and charge back when he's not being used. Hall isn't really as effective as a long bomb option that can be readily crumbed from so it's quite a difficult task for anyone but his great asset is his footballing smarts so he's at least a chance of being able to do it successfully.

Dancin' Douggy
12-09-2010, 10:50 PM
I got a feeling as soon as I saw him that he would make it.
And I still believe he will.
With a little tank of a body, blistering pace and coming through the hard road of the rookie draft despite winning the B&F at TAC level.

Good vertical leap. Goal kicker.

I've got faith.

LostDoggy
13-09-2010, 12:59 AM
I was wrapped that he didn't go missing and really played well and contributed. His excitement at his first goal and after we'd won was anough for me to show that he definately has the passion. I was thinking I bet Willi wished he'd played in their side earlier in the day. Oh well

MrMahatma
13-09-2010, 07:52 AM
His reaction to the goal was brilliant - and the whole team responded.

Just watched the game for a 2nd time this evening - there were a number of times he could've given 2nd efforts and didn't. His first efforts were great but 2nd/3rd weren't as good as could be.

As mentioned - a big preseason for the kid and hopefully he'll have a big 2011. I'd still have him playing this week too.

LostDoggy
13-09-2010, 04:05 PM

Likewise for me, not only did his goal lift the team it lifted us supporters. I was feeling pretty down until that goal, the goal before that from Baz lifted me a little but really got excited with Hoops goal.

1eyedog
13-09-2010, 04:11 PM
What would you all have thought if he missed the goal? Seemed to be the difference between the media jumping on him, bit of a frenzy about him IMO and if he missed the feedback would have been a lot different.

Did two okay things and kicked straight but he is very young and inexperienced. That's about it. Worth persisting with next year but I think he will really struggle with the occasion next weekend.

SlimPickens
13-09-2010, 04:18 PM
IMO must play this week. We know St Kilda will get numbers back which means we will most likely bomb the ball into Barry or Johnson on number of entries. Hoops to play under their feet.

I wonder who from St Kilda will play on him.

1eyedog
13-09-2010, 04:34 PM
IMO must play this week. We know St Kilda will get numbers back which means we will most likely bomb the ball into Barry or Johnson on number of entries. Hoops to play under their feet.

I wonder who from St Kilda will play on him.

I would think this would be the main reason to be patient and look to hit someone up.

LostDoggy
13-09-2010, 04:51 PM
It's a bird! It's a plane! It's... Hooperman!

I think the lad has a future. He plays with enthusiasm, and he's obviously worked hard to get where he is.

SlimPickens
14-09-2010, 10:33 AM
I would think this would be the main reason to be patient and look to hit someone up.

Absolutely, however our recent history shows we a prone to bombing it in long when under pressure. For us to win Bazza will need to clunk a few, an we will need a few oppurtunistic goals from Hoops, Grant and Co.

1eyedog
14-09-2010, 11:20 AM
Absolutely, however our recent history shows we a prone to bombing it in long when under pressure. For us to win Bazza will need to clunk a few, an we will need a few oppurtunistic goals from Hoops, Grant and Co.

Fair enough. I just think the expectation on Hooper is unrealistic. I don't think he is the answer this weekend. I know we are bereft of options though.

Bumper Bulldogs
14-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Fair enough. I just think the expectation on Hooper is unrealistic. I don't think he is the answer this weekend. I know we are bereft of options though.

Opportunity knocks and in come Hooper, he will be better this week and perhaps get under the guard of the saints as they are more likely sitting back thinking he cant get a kick.

He should also provide the like oF Gia, Grant some protection as he looks like he could be an angry little man at times.

PaddyWhack
14-09-2010, 12:08 PM
Opportunity knocks and in come Hooper, he will be better this week and perhaps get under the guard of the saints as they are more likely sitting back thinking he cant get a kick.

He should also provide the like oF Gia, Grant some protection as he looks like he could be an angry little man at times.

and how long is it since we have had one of those running around - long live the ALM!!

LostDoggy
14-09-2010, 02:03 PM
Reminded me of Contessa a little bit.

Ghost Dog
14-09-2010, 02:23 PM
Likewise for me, not only did his goal lift the team it lifted us supporters. I was feeling pretty down until that goal, the goal before that from Baz lifted me a little but really got excited with Hoops goal.

We need that enthusiasm. We also got some great press about it.

I would like to see the MC cut just a bit deeper into the list to make way for youngsters next season.

The Pie Man
14-09-2010, 08:56 PM
His goal is my best memory from 2010 so far - bout time they showed some excitement, exuberance etc etc - they got excited, we all got excited, and they kick 6 of the next 8 goals and start playing with spirit again.

He has the potential to be my next favourite player (notwithstanding SS' 20 game rule)

Hope he plays this week

The Bulldogs Bite
14-09-2010, 09:09 PM
His goal is my best memory from 2010 so far - bout time they showed some excitement, exuberance etc etc - they got excited, we all got excited, and they kick 6 of the next 8 goals and start playing with spirit again.

He has the potential to be my next favourite player (notwithstanding SS' 20 game rule)

Hope he plays this week

Yep.

We don't show enough excitement at times IMO. We go about our business a little too quietly so it was great to see Hooper's excitement and Crossy/Addison's big hits for a change.

LostDoggy
14-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Emotion, makes me all emotional. Makes the Dogs look and sound a football fight.
Fly the flag, get a little mad and celebrate when you feel great. :D

Mantis
14-09-2010, 10:36 PM

Hope he plays this week

What is being forgot is that he had 5 touches, 0 marks, 0 tackles and had 3 Free kicks for. That means he won just 2 possessions by himself. That just isn't good enough and he really shouldn't play this week against a fair superior opponent.

Let's give him another pre-season and see how he goes in 2011, but this week isn't the time to be experimenting on someone who is 5'7".

bornadog
14-09-2010, 11:28 PM
What is being forgot is that he had 5 touches, 0 marks, 0 tackles and had 3 Free kicks for. That means he won just 2 possessions by himself. That just isn't good enough and he really shouldn't play this week against a fair superior opponent.

Let's give him another pre-season and see how he goes in 2011, but this week isn't the time to be experimenting on someone who is 5'7".

Agree.

boydogs
15-09-2010, 01:20 AM

I think you have forgotten what the role of a small goalsneak is all about. You are supposed to be 5'7". You are not supposed to get midfielder stats. You pressure the opposition, and you kick goals whenever you get a chance.

At least one of Hooper's frees for was play on advantage, so he didn't get a possession for it. He was dangerous on the lead, hence why he drew those free kicks. He kicked a crucial goal, and created another one by bumping Malceski off the ball. He was chasing like crazy, he went after Rhyce Shaw at once stage from 30 metres behind him right down to Sydney's 50, through multiple possessions. He locked the ball in our forward line, there were 6 Sydney players surrounding him at one stage but he wouldn't let go of the ball.

It wasn't an outstanding game, but I think we have become so accustomed to having a forward line of mid-sized players that rotate through the middle that we rate them in areas that a true forward should not be judged by.

We really need his type in the side. There is no true replacement for him waiting in the wings. Grant has had two worse games in the finals than Hooper's debut, and we have Jones ready to go - I would be much more inclined to make that swap than lose Hooper and go back to having 'trampoline' written on our 50 metre line

The Pie Man
15-09-2010, 08:41 AM

I'll get/accept it if he's not picked, but some great small forwards can change a game with five touches if 3 of them are goals. I think he's got a role to play and looks physically up to it, though I suspect you are right (re: being dropped)

Sockeye Salmon
15-09-2010, 11:24 AM
I think you have forgotten what the role of a small goalsneak is all about. You are supposed to be 5'7". You are not supposed to get midfielder stats. You pressure the opposition, and you kick goals whenever you get a chance.

At least one of Hooper's frees for was play on advantage, so he didn't get a possession for it. He was dangerous on the lead, hence why he drew those free kicks. He kicked a crucial goal, and created another one by bumping Malceski off the ball. He was chasing like crazy, he went after Rhyce Shaw at once stage from 30 metres behind him right down to Sydney's 50, through multiple possessions. He locked the ball in our forward line, there were 6 Sydney players surrounding him at one stage but he wouldn't let go of the ball.

It wasn't an outstanding game, but I think we have become so accustomed to having a forward line of mid-sized players that rotate through the middle that we rate them in areas that a true forward should not be judged by.

We really need his type in the side. There is no true replacement for him waiting in the wings. Grant has had two worse games in the finals than Hooper's debut, and we have Jones ready to go - I would be much more inclined to make that swap than lose Hooper and go back to having 'trampoline' written on our 50 metre line

Written by the Iraqi minister for information - there certainly is a lot of mayonaise on that!

The fact is that Hooper, as you would expect from a 1st game rookie, did very little. We all get excited by new kids in the seniors but he barely touched the ball and didn't lay a tackle.

To say that he created a goal by bumping Malceski isn't quite true, he fell over - which did in effect make it a bit more difficult for Malceski - but I doubt Hoops will have it in his highlights tape at the end of his career.

Desipura
15-09-2010, 11:26 AM
To say that he created a goal by bumping Malceski isn't quite true, he fell over - which did in effect make it a bit more difficult for Malceski - but I doubt Hoops will have it in his highlights tape at the end of his career.
He will if he does not play another game.

Ozza
15-09-2010, 12:08 PM
If Hooper missed that goal before half time the newspaper would be reporting he had a disappointing debut of only 5 possessions and 1 behind. Its a fine line.

I think Jones is a better fit this week, but am not exactly calling for Hoops' head...happy enough for him to play - but it really depends on who gets dropped for Morris.

jazzadogs
15-09-2010, 12:36 PM
If the other option is for Morris to come in for Hooper, and Hahn to take Hoop's spot in the forward line, then I'd prefer to have Hooper in. He might not have had a great debut, but I would think that he can get to more contests than Hahn (although Mitch did seem quicker, more confident, in the second half last week).

Tough call.

boydogs
15-09-2010, 09:44 PM
Written by the Iraqi minister for information - there certainly is a lot of mayonaise on that!

lol. Better than calling it a load of bollocks I s'pose ;)

The fact is that Hooper, as you would expect from a 1st game rookie, did very little. We all get excited by new kids in the seniors but he barely touched the ball and didn't lay a tackle.

Fair enough

Wouldn't call it a fall - not a career highlight but a critical contribution in a play that was critical to the match result

If Hooper missed that goal before half time the newspaper would be reporting he had a disappointing debut of only 5 possessions and 1 behind. Its a fine line.

Yes it is a fine line, but he was on the right side of it. Goals in finals are at a premium. We won by less than a kick last week and lost by 7 points in last year's PF. We only kicked 11 goals last week and 7 goals in the 09 prelim.

I think Jones is a better fit this week, but am not exactly calling for Hoops' head...happy enough for him to play - but it really depends on who gets dropped for Morris.

Why is Jones a better fit? With Morris returning down back and Minson in the side, I can't see playing all of Hall, Hahn, Grant, Jones, Johnson, Gia and Minson forward as being a well balanced setup.

We need some zippy smalls down there - Higgins, Aker and Stack are not in contention, so for mine it's either keep Hooper in or send Harbrow forward and bring in a mid or defender. I see Jones in for Hooper as unbalancing.

If the other option is for Morris to come in for Hooper, and Hahn to take Hoop's spot in the forward line, then I'd prefer to have Hooper in.

I think that's what will happen, but I think it would be the wrong move